Author Topic: 2023 FIRE cohort  (Read 204172 times)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2023 FIRE cohort
« Reply #950 on: January 05, 2023, 01:50:29 AM »
I'm jumping on to say that I'm planning on taking an extended "sabbatical" beginning this year. I'm going to announce my intentions at work on my 44th birthday in March, with a plan to leave at the end of May or so, when a personnel shortage in my department is eased a bit.

The scary thing is that my net worth has been hovering at my target as my contributions have basically made up for the losses in the past year. It's hard to leave a stable, strong salary at an electrical utility when the market is down. At the same time, I've been in overdrive for 20 years now and am about burnt out.

Scary? Yes. Uncertain? Yes. I think that it is still about the right time.

Sounds like a good idea.  Do you want to be added to the FIRE list?  Or is this a short term sabbatical?

navyswim01

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #951 on: January 05, 2023, 04:06:12 AM »
Add me to the list. It's an indefinite sabbatical.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #952 on: January 05, 2023, 04:07:47 AM »
Bringing to the top of the page....

01/1/2023 Northstar (33)
01/2023 watchmaker (39)
01/31/2023 detrimental12 (34)
02/2023 Thriftyc (49)
02/28/2023 Much Fishing to Do (51)
03/2023 Retiring gaijin
03/2023 mtnrider
03/2023 Blissful Biker (50)
03/31/2023 shadesofgreen (46)
04/2023 PhrugalPhan (60)
04/03/2023 AccidentalMiser (55)
04/2023 SEAK
04/2023 FIREupDOOON
04/2023 Midwest_Handlebar (39)
04/28/2023 sheep_music_generator (30)
04/2023 BFGirl (55)
05/12/2023 RWTL (51)
05/2023 Wanttobehome (55)
05/2023 dougules (44) - could vary a lot
05/2023 paideuma
05/2023 lutorm (52)
05/2023 MaybeBabyMustache(46)
05/2023 navyswim01 (44)
05/2023 MisterA (61)
05/31/2023 mistymoney (55)
06/2023 marblejane
06/2023 HuffDuf41 (41)
06/2023 Present Muse
06/2023 markus
06/1/2023 2Birds1Stone (36)
06/05/2023 ShadowRegent (36)
06/14/2023 RelaxedGal (45)
07/7/2023 stein07 (46)
07/15/2023 JGS1980
08/2023 Erutio (43)
09/2023 FireGinslia (50)
09/29/2023 frizzywhiskers (51)
10/2023 Phryne
10/2023 Mathew675
11/2023 frugal rph
11/2023 garyjames8 (49)
12/2023 Bateaux
12/2023 beer-man
12/2023 CindyBS
12/2023 FI Curious
12/2023 Landlady
12/2023 NESailor
12/2023 RedHotLama
12/2023 SpeedReader
12/2023 Spiffsome
12/2023 Stache-O-Lantern (48)
12/2023 stupidiot8
12/2023 wannabe-stache
12/2023 bottlerocks
12/2023 lauren_knows (42)
12/25/2023 moof (46)
12/31/2023 StarBright (41)
12/31/2023 Peony2019
12/31/2023 MamaMinou (52)

OLY:

12/2019 I'm Fred
??/2020 Mmm_Donuts
12/2021 Arbitrage
02/22/2022 friedmmj
?  Le Dérisoire
11/10/2022  Slow road to freedom

OMY:

02/2024 grantmeaname
07/2024 pdxvandal
09/2024 FrugalShrew
12/2024 OurTown
12/2027 FireryFIRE
Ardrum (39)
rpr

SWAMI:
TomTx 5LY
Locksmith

TBD:
fuzzy math
drumstache
moneytaichi
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 10:35:54 AM by RWTL »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #953 on: January 05, 2023, 03:27:21 PM »
hay all!  just found the thread.  Have to say that I feel a lot less prepared than many of you!  I have done a bit more than multiply my spending by 25 and compare the result to the bottom line on my brokers website :-)  ok have done a bit more than that but still.

Now that '23 is here it feels crazy short, like I could make this happen this year!!!  I am in the process of selling my home and moving to a new area, am strongly considering paying cash for the new place.  I can ball park my expenses but wont really know until I make the move.  Paying cash will basically kill any cash savings I have (might even have to sell some investments) more details in my journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/should-i-make-a-change-or-why-the-f-did-you-not-do-that-earlier/

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #954 on: January 06, 2023, 04:10:11 AM »
hay all!  just found the thread.  Have to say that I feel a lot less prepared than many of you!  I have done a bit more than multiply my spending by 25 and compare the result to the bottom line on my brokers website :-)  ok have done a bit more than that but still.

Now that '23 is here it feels crazy short, like I could make this happen this year!!!  I am in the process of selling my home and moving to a new area, am strongly considering paying cash for the new place.  I can ball park my expenses but wont really know until I make the move.  Paying cash will basically kill any cash savings I have (might even have to sell some investments) more details in my journal: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/should-i-make-a-change-or-why-the-f-did-you-not-do-that-earlier/

Let us know if you land on a date in 2023, and we can add you to the official list.

@Watchmaker  - Are you going to be our first confirmed graduate?

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: January 06, 2023, 11:37:03 AM »

...not quite yet. I talked with my boss and she was quite understanding but eager to find a way to keep me around. She ended up asking me to take a couple days to consider switching to part time (or any other changes I would want to make) which I agreed to consider.

I still feel like I'm ready to be done, but I'm trying to genuinely think through if there's a version of the job that I would be happy to keep doing for awhile longer.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #956 on: January 06, 2023, 11:42:27 AM »
Let us know if you land on a date in 2023, and we can add you to the official list.

Waaaaaaay too much pressure :-)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #957 on: January 06, 2023, 03:29:17 PM »

Waaaaaaay too much pressure :-)

Haha....we're here when you are ready.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #958 on: January 06, 2023, 03:30:54 PM »

...not quite yet. I talked with my boss and she was quite understanding but eager to find a way to keep me around. She ended up asking me to take a couple days to consider switching to part time (or any other changes I would want to make) which I agreed to consider.

I still feel like I'm ready to be done, but I'm trying to genuinely think through if there's a version of the job that I would be happy to keep doing for awhile longer.

Sounds like the best outcome.  I'm working with my boss for a similar arrangement.  I think we're settling on a contingent role where I help out as needed.  But no commitments on either side.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: January 11, 2023, 08:55:09 AM »
I'm one step closer, although perhaps not far enough along to call it official. After a conversation yesterday, my boss is working out the details for me to go on a 6 month sabbatical. I wouldn't return to full time employment after the sabbatical (and they know that), but at the end of the sabbatical we'd see if there was interest from both sides for a part-time role.

If that can be worked out with the company, that will be great. But I've also told my boss that if arranging the sabbatical ends up being complex or will cause her any problems (we don't have any existing company policies covering it), I'm happy to just resign and we can still discuss a part-time role down the road if she wants to.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #960 on: January 11, 2023, 02:50:22 PM »
I'm one step closer, although perhaps not far enough along to call it official. After a conversation yesterday, my boss is working out the details for me to go on a 6 month sabbatical. I wouldn't return to full time employment after the sabbatical (and they know that), but at the end of the sabbatical we'd see if there was interest from both sides for a part-time role.

If that can be worked out with the company, that will be great. But I've also told my boss that if arranging the sabbatical ends up being complex or will cause her any problems (we don't have any existing company policies covering it), I'm happy to just resign and we can still discuss a part-time role down the road if she wants to.

So after giving notice last August that I'd be phasing out January/February of this year, either they forgot or were hoping I wouldn't follow thru ;-) because nothing was raised, nothing was changing..... I finally mentioned in an email (about the start of a new project) that it was relly important we include my second as I likely would not be around to its completion, and that seemed to start some movement.

I would like to have the ability to do some contracting for the firm after taking some time off, but its been so hard to make the break I'm not gonna bring this up until after I leave, and then we'll just see what happens. 

I've been keeping the effort up on all projects as I've pushed myself to do (I really do want to finish strong), but on any incoming/potential new projects I've found I'm definitely playing it like its late fourth quarter, I have the ball and a 2 score lead.  Run clock run.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #961 on: January 11, 2023, 06:14:23 PM »

Sounds like a great option!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #962 on: January 11, 2023, 06:18:38 PM »
I've been informing my teammates this week about my end date.  It's been surprising to most, but so many people have been supportive.  I've also had several job offers which is kid of funny.  The universe is trying to keep me employed. 

One guy I spoke with today said take all the time you need and we'll be here when you want to do anything as a 1099 contractor. 

The clock is ticking...

Who will be our first retiree of 2023?

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #963 on: January 11, 2023, 07:57:48 PM »
I've been informing my teammates this week about my end date.  It's been surprising to most, but so many people have been supportive.  I've also had several job offers which is kid of funny.  The universe is trying to keep me employed. 

One guy I spoke with today said take all the time you need and we'll be here when you want to do anything as a 1099 contractor. 
It sounds like a great option. It helps to build these relationships in case you want to do some fun work down the road. I am at a similar age as you. Seriously think about re-retiring, and then an interesting opportunity knocks at my door last week.

Just curious: what did you tell your teammates - retirement, sabbatical or else? Did you actively look for other jobs, or they ran into you?

shadesofgreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #964 on: January 12, 2023, 12:39:41 PM »

Just curious: what did you tell your teammates - retirement, sabbatical or else? Did you actively look for other jobs, or they ran into you?

I have told work that I am looking for a change of pace and planning on moving states. I am getting burnt out and have been here 25+ years. I feel the need for something different just not sure where that will be.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #965 on: January 12, 2023, 04:38:03 PM »

It sounds like a great option. It helps to build these relationships in case you want to do some fun work down the road. I am at a similar age as you. Seriously think about re-retiring, and then an interesting opportunity knocks at my door last week.

I've been telling them I'm going to retire or that I'm cutting my hours back to focus on passion projects.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #966 on: January 19, 2023, 03:27:01 PM »
It's mighty quiet around here....

Any updates from @MisterA @Much Fishing to Do @thriftyc ?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #967 on: January 19, 2023, 06:41:47 PM »

Watching the markets.  Not time to bail out yet.  Fully ready to wait out till New Years Day.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #968 on: January 20, 2023, 03:19:29 PM »

Its been crazy last couple of weeks. Work busy and life busy.  At work I was starting to think that they had forgotten (or was ignoring the fact ;-) that I was leaving from above (those just below me are well aware and working hard to be ready)....but then I was told a retirement party was being planned for me and people were flying in....go figure.... Just all around a bizarre feeling.  I just transitioned the ownership of new incoming projects over to my number 2 and am still on the plan to lead/work out my current ones and fade away so I don;t have a lot of mid-project handoffs which I know would be a massive headache for my team... end of Feb still looks right for that timing, though if things linger at all I will not force anything until the weather warms up (between May 1 and Oct 1 is when I really can't stand looking at a computer when I could be outside instead).

I of course wish markets were better and my investments were where they were a year ago, but in the end I don't even briefly follow the "I'll work till the markets return" approach.  We're still good at a 4% draw, and there's only so much another year or two of salary would improve my position, and I know I don't have more than that in me anyway, so why keep pushing.  The only way in which "working till the market returns" would really affect my position is if the market doesn't return for 5+ years and therefore I work for 5+ years....well that ain't happening.  It helps that every day something drives me nuts at work, so any feelings of doubt over my decision never lasts more than a couple hours.....

And again, once the weather warms, I'm not gonna be able to sit at a computer anymore anyway. 

I just bought a dump of a house on a great fishing/kayaking river.  The price was low enough I could justify it just by the river frontage even if the house fell down.  So working on that thing is part of the immediate plan.  My dad is (extremely) handy and in incredible shape for 79 (like, crazy good shape), and wants to help, and I'm fairly handy, and we just lost mom (he's struggling with that).  My youngest (13) is of course still at home and has out of nowhere become an accomplished bowler (the 190, 200+ games are coming fast and furious now) and I'm trying to keep pace, I love any game/sport, esp one where everyone can play together like that one their whole life.

So I think if all I do is bowl and fish and kayak and rebuild that house from the studs is all I get accomplished for the next year it'll still add up to my best year yet.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:39:02 PM by Much Fishing to Do »

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #969 on: January 20, 2023, 04:34:38 PM »

I just bought a dump of a house on a great fishing/kayaking river.  The price was low enough I could justify it just by the river frontage even if the house fell down.  So working on that thing is part of the immediate plan.  My dad is (extremely) handy and in incredible shape for 79 (like, crazy good shape), and wants to help, and I'm fairly handy, and we just lost mom (he's struggling with that).  My youngest (13) is of course still at home and has out of nowhere become an accomplished bowler (the 190, 200+ games are coming fast and furious now) and I'm trying to keep pace, I love any game/sport, esp one where everyone can play together like that one their whole life.

So I think if all I do is bowl and fish and kayak and rebuild that house from the studs is all I get accomplished for the next year it'll still add up to my best year yet.

...And I don't think you'll ever regret spending time with your kids and your Dad.  Good luck winding things down and keep us informed as you get closer!

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #970 on: January 20, 2023, 06:27:23 PM »

Its been crazy last couple of weeks. Work busy and life busy.  At work I was starting to think that they had forgotten (or was ignoring the fact ;-) that I was leaving from above (those just below me are well aware and working hard to be ready)....but then I was told a retirement party was being planned for me and people were flying in....go figure.... Just all around a bizarre feeling.  I just transitioned the ownership of new incoming projects over to my number 2 and am still on the plan to lead/work out my current ones and fade away so I don;t have a lot of mid-project handoffs which I know would be a massive headache for my team... end of Feb still looks right for that timing, though if things linger at all I will not force anything until the weather warms up (between May 1 and Oct 1 is when I really can't stand looking at a computer when I could be outside instead).

I of course wish markets were better and my investments were where they were a year ago, but in the end I don't even briefly follow the "I'll work till the markets return" approach.  We're still good at a 4% draw, and there's only so much another year or two of salary would improve my position, and I know I don't have more than that in me anyway, so why keep pushing.  The only way in which "working till the market returns" would really affect my position is if the market doesn't return for 5+ years and therefore I work for 5+ years....well that ain't happening.  It helps that every day something drives me nuts at work, so any feelings of doubt over my decision never lasts more than a couple hours.....

And again, once the weather warms, I'm not gonna be able to sit at a computer anymore anyway. 

Sounds like you're in a great place and head space! Still at 4% is awesome! congrats!!

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #971 on: January 20, 2023, 06:41:43 PM »
@RWTL the entry for me should be listed as @sheep_music_generator (my spouse), and he now has a date planned -- April 28.

I made him a little countdown calendar. 70 working days to go :-)

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #972 on: January 20, 2023, 06:44:30 PM »
@RWTL the entry for me should be listed as @sheep_music_generator (my spouse), and he now has a date planned -- April 28.

I made him a little countdown calendar. 70 working days to go :-)

Ok.  All set.  70 days!  Woot woot!

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #973 on: January 21, 2023, 12:07:51 PM »
I've been keeping the effort up on all projects as I've pushed myself to do (I really do want to finish strong), but on any incoming/potential new projects I've found I'm definitely playing it like its late fourth quarter, I have the ball and a 2 score lead.  Run clock run.

I've been feeling this so much this week!  I haven't broken the news at work yet (planning to leave in June, give 3 months notice in March, and it's only January) and I'm still  going strong on current projects but as my Boss and I talk about 2023 Goals or when Projects for the latter half of 2023 or sometime in 2024 come up I just can't bring myself to care.  I'm also pushing back more on night/weekend work - I used to be a real team player and now do I really need to be part of that team when someone else will already be online that night and they could do the 5 minutes of work, instead of breaking up my evening to sign in and update a file?

I can only imagine how checked out I'll be with 1 month to go.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #974 on: January 21, 2023, 01:02:20 PM »

...And I don't think you'll ever regret spending time with your kids and your Dad.  Good luck winding things down and keep us informed as you get closer!

This. And, love that combination of activities!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #975 on: January 21, 2023, 01:19:36 PM »

I've been feeling this so much this week!  I haven't broken the news at work yet (planning to leave in June, give 3 months notice in March, and it's only January) and I'm still  going strong on current projects but as my Boss and I talk about 2023 Goals or when Projects for the latter half of 2023 or sometime in 2024 come up I just can't bring myself to care.  I'm also pushing back more on night/weekend work - I used to be a real team player and now do I really need to be part of that team when someone else will already be online that night and they could do the 5 minutes of work, instead of breaking up my evening to sign in and update a file?

I can only imagine how checked out I'll be with 1 month to go.

I gave notice last month and have already started to pull away.  I don't feel I have to be "on" and invested in the work all the time.  I still care, just not as much.

stein07

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #976 on: January 22, 2023, 01:40:47 PM »
I gave my notice a couple weeks ago. It has been a bit of a relief but not the total relief I was hoping for. I am starting to mentally detach and trying to catch my mind when I subconsciously don't. I will likely continue part time which I'm 50/50 about, but it is probably not best for me to quit cold turkey. Anybody else thinking about hanging on part-time/hourly?

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #977 on: January 22, 2023, 01:54:07 PM »
I gave my notice a couple weeks ago. It has been a bit of a relief but not the total relief I was hoping for. I am starting to mentally detach and trying to catch my mind when I subconsciously don't. I will likely continue part time which I'm 50/50 about, but it is probably not best for me to quit cold turkey. Anybody else thinking about hanging on part-time/hourly?

Yeah, I'm considering it. Talking to the company tomorrow to figure out details (e.g. how few hours they are okay with me working).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #978 on: January 22, 2023, 01:58:08 PM »
22 days into the year and not a single confirmed FIREee?

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #979 on: January 22, 2023, 02:18:30 PM »

I've been talking to my boss about taking some projects here and there as an hourly employee but I'm taking 6 months off to decompress first.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #980 on: January 22, 2023, 05:25:26 PM »

Still happily SWAMI, bought my full 2023 I-bond allocation. Just truckin' along.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #981 on: January 22, 2023, 07:37:49 PM »
I think I would consider doing some travel work for the company, we have one or two people go all over the world.  I am qualified to do what they do but am on other projects and they tend to get burnt out on travel.  Not sure, travel can be a pain; but a paid for buisness class trip XYZ could be nice with a self funded extra week playing tourist after the work was done.   This is one of the larger reasons I want to be very careful how I anounce my leaving.  Working less than one week per month, make several grand, hang out in XYZ for a second week, might not be bad. 

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #982 on: January 23, 2023, 12:34:59 PM »
Put me on the list for July 15th 2023 for Coast FIRE
From a 4% Rule point of view, I'm still underfunded by about 500K.
I gave them 6 months notice.
I plan on taking a 6 month sabbatical like many here on this thread.
After 6 months, I will reassess, but I plan on working one 3-4 month gig per year (to cover yearly expenses) until I hit my number. We'll see how that goes.

This post if for accountability.

JGS

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #983 on: January 23, 2023, 04:42:27 PM »
Put me on the list for July 15th 2023 for Coast FIRE
From a 4% Rule point of view, I'm still underfunded by about 500K.
I gave them 6 months notice.
I plan on taking a 6 month sabbatical like many here on this thread.
After 6 months, I will reassess, but I plan on working one 3-4 month gig per year (to cover yearly expenses) until I hit my number. We'll see how that goes.

This post if for accountability.

JGS

Cool.  I've got you.

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #984 on: January 24, 2023, 06:48:41 AM »

Any updates from @MisterA?
Updates? Well yes! and no...

Basically, I've more or less hit my FIRE number, which after the last 12 months is great and I'm feeling good about it. But, I have real concerns about volatility over the next (insert any number you wish) months/year. We have additional cash for expenses that we know are coming, although it isn't as much as I'd like. Also, I don't have a cash reserve to cover me for 12 months if the market faltered.

Consequently, I'm now investing cash into a money market account. This serves 3 purposes. Firstly it will give me 12 months cash so that I won't need to draw from my stache, secondly it will bolster our emergency fund and finally my total FIRE number will have a slight padding. And by waiting a couple of months, I'll see the cold weather out! My current saving rate is 77%, and so it won't take long.

Oh, and my car has about had it, and needs replacing.

So please put my date back until May, and I promise that date won't slip. As @Much Fishing to Do said, lots to do, and seeing the downturn out just isn't an option for me (particularly at my age). We have a motorhome and plans to further tour the UK and Europe. We can actually manage just fine on a 3% withdrawal rate for as long as it takes, although a bit more would be very welcome.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 06:59:05 AM by MisterA »

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #985 on: January 24, 2023, 09:13:38 AM »
Finalized my plan with my boss and her boss. I'm done working full time after this week. I'll be taking February off completely, then trying out a 12 hour-a-week role. I thought about taking a longer break, but I decided I want to figure out whether the part-time work is going to be viable sooner rather than later.

The only detail left is to get confirmation that I can remain a company shareholder while working part time. That part will need CEO's approval--we all expect him to say yes, but they are checking with him now. If that doesn't work I won't stick around as a part-time employee but would consider doing some contract work for them.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: January 24, 2023, 09:53:14 AM »

Basically, I've more or less hit my FIRE number, which after the last 12 months is great and I'm feeling good about it. But, I have real concerns about volatility over the next (insert any number you wish) months/year. We have additional cash for expenses that we know are coming, although it isn't as much as I'd like. Also, I don't have a cash reserve to cover me for 12 months if the market faltered.

Consequently, I'm now investing cash into a money market account. This serves 3 purposes. Firstly it will give me 12 months cash so that I won't need to draw from my stache, secondly it will bolster our emergency fund and finally my total FIRE number will have a slight padding. And by waiting a couple of months, I'll see the cold weather out! My current saving rate is 77%, and so it won't take long.

So please put my date back until May, and I promise that date won't slip. As @Much Fishing to Do said, lots to do, and seeing the downturn out just isn't an option for me (particularly at my age). We have a motorhome and plans to further tour the UK and Europe. We can actually manage just fine on a 3% withdrawal rate for as long as it takes, although a bit more would be very welcome.

That is awesome! I'm so impressed with anyone who is meeting their number on/close to their timeline.

Can you share any details on how you managed this? Is it just a super high saving rate?

18-24 months ago I projected out I'd be at/pretty close in mid 2023....but after 2022.....I lost ground rather than gained - despite continuing to invest 3-4k monthly. Any tips would be helpful! Or insight on why I am flailing and others are not.......

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #987 on: January 24, 2023, 10:36:55 AM »
Finalized my plan with my boss and her boss. I'm done working full time after this week. I'll be taking February off completely, then trying out a 12 hour-a-week role. I thought about taking a longer break, but I decided I want to figure out whether the part-time work is going to be viable sooner rather than later.

The only detail left is to get confirmation that I can remain a company shareholder while working part time. That part will need CEO's approval--we all expect him to say yes, but they are checking with him now. If that doesn't work I won't stick around as a part-time employee but would consider doing some contract work for them.

Let us know when you officially graduate on the list!

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #988 on: January 24, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »

All set!  Updated the list

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #989 on: January 24, 2023, 11:31:07 AM »

I planned to FIRE the end of 2021 but downshifted to PT and stayed on while they tried to fill the role.  With inflation and the 2022 market drop I "selflessly" agreed to continue on PT indefinitely due to the labour shortage.  It's been OK.  My role contributes to the energy transition and 24hrs/week provides both a nice lifestyle and the continued ability to save.  I have a senior role in an large international firm, live in a fabulous mountain town where I get to play outside everyday and a sense of purpose.  I should be grateful and content, but ... I'm tired and not fond of my boss.   

With the market recovery and the additional year of savings, I could FIRE end of March 23 as I forecasted for our cohort list.  But we're now considering purchasing a Class B+ camper.  They are wildly expensive and would require me to continue PT through 2023 at least. DH's (59) retirement dream is to hit the road and explore the wild places.  His military injuries are catching up with him and he probably has 10 good years before he moves into the no-go phase of retirement.  I'm younger, healthier (50) and it would feel selfish to say no.  I could work in the van without issue and what is one more year?.  I read the "Die with Zero" book which would support buying the camper and gaining those experiences.  But I am literally losing sleep over considering such as huge purchase.

What are your thoughts?  I know there's folks with campers on the forum.  Worth it?

RWTL - leave me on our list for March 23 but there might be a change coming.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:35:40 AM by Blissful Biker »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #990 on: January 24, 2023, 11:45:54 AM »

I planned to FIRE the end of 2021 but downshifted to PT and stayed on while they tried to fill the role.  With inflation and the 2022 market drop I "selflessly" agreed to continue on PT indefinitely due to the labour shortage.  It's been OK.  My role contributes to the energy transition and 24hrs/week provides both a nice lifestyle and the continued ability to save.  I have a senior role in an large international firm, live in a fabulous mountain town where I get to play outside everyday and a sense of purpose.  I should be grateful and content, but ... I'm tired and not fond of my boss.   

With the market recovery and the additional year of savings, I could FIRE end of March 23 as I forecasted for our cohort list.  But we're now considering purchasing a Class B+ camper.  They are wildly expensive and would require me to continue PT through 2023 at least. DH's (59) retirement dream is to hit the road and explore the wild places.  His military injuries are catching up with him and he probably has 10 good years before he moves into the no-go phase of retirement.  I'm younger, healthier (50) and it would feel selfish to say no.  I could work in the van without issue and what is one more year?.  I read the "Die with Zero" book which would support buying the camper and gaining those experiences.  But I am literally losing sleep over considering such as huge purchase.

What are your thoughts?  I know there's folks with campers on the forum.  Worth it?

wtf!?!?  You are going to continue working so you can buy a huge depreciating asset so you can spend more while using it??  If you must, rent the damn RV.  You sound like you are trying to justify OMY and are afraid to let go.  Dollars to doughnuts you both could walk away now and live a very comfortable life starting Feb 1.  Go make the most of those 10 years before the no-go time.

Please take the above as a gentle "face punch" in the style our founder was once known for.   

At least do the math on renting an RV for 3 mon/year for ten years vs buying then selling in 10 years.  Renting also give you the choice to go where you want anywhere in the world. 

Edit: my aunt had a Class B+, and she sold it after 6months.  They are big enough to be a pain, but you cant pull a second smaller vehicle with them to go explore away from it. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:49:39 AM by AlanStache »

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #991 on: January 24, 2023, 12:06:11 PM »

We have a paid for travel trailer and love it.  I've owned two Class A's as well and have the following thoughts about campers...
  • They depreciate quickly
  • If you buy a class A, B, or C, you have to know that you're also buying a motor that will die eventually
  • New RVs have a TON, TON, TON of problems.  Our first new RV punch list was several pages long

If you really want one, like AlanStache mentioned, you should rent one first.  Then, if you still want to buy one - look at used RVs.  The first owner has likely fixed all the issues. 

Lastly, make sure you look for ceiling leaks.  They can destroy an RV.  I would think this would be less likely with a Class B, but I could be wrong.

stasherus-maximus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #992 on: January 24, 2023, 12:16:44 PM »
I dream about fixing up a used Sprinter van into a nice camping vehicle. Maybe with a couple of e-bikes on back. But I have heard plenty of relatives, friends, and acquaintances complain endlessly about their experiences with campers, RV's, pull-behinds, etc. Worth googling for horror stories. At least you'll gain some good ideas of what to look out for. Maybe it'll all work out.

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #993 on: January 24, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »
That is awesome! I'm so impressed with anyone who is meeting their number on/close to their timeline.

Can you share any details on how you managed this? Is it just a super high saving rate?

18-24 months ago I projected out I'd be at/pretty close in mid 2023....but after 2022.....I lost ground rather than gained - despite continuing to invest 3-4k monthly. Any tips would be helpful! Or insight on why I am flailing and others are not.......
Well, I can tell you how this comes about, but no secret hot tips or intelligent insights I'm afraid.

These things help:
I've already OMY'd, so 12 months more savings.
I'm currently saving 77% of my earnings.
I'm in the UK, the UK stockmarket FTSE100 is close to it's highest ever number. Whilst I'm spread globally, there is some UK bias.
The strong US$ has helped my UK£ investments in US stocks.
My FIRE figure is relatively modest compared to what others seem to be targeting. The less you have, the less you loose in a downturn, and my ongoing substantial savings rate makes a bigger difference in maintaining my stache.
I'm relatively old, so I need a smaller stache, and am closer to being able to access pensions etc.

FIREing after 12 months of declines, whilst hitting my target amount, gives me a good chance of success I hope. Especially when we can comfortably manage on about 3%.

Probably not much help to others, but that's why I'm hitting my target, after 2022.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #994 on: January 24, 2023, 02:42:42 PM »

Wow, I could definitely "get by" on 3%, but don't plan to, not exactly the "just get by" type family here!, will do 4% and know SSA has somewhat got my back...  You're doing awesome.  I have a final bonus coming (profit sharing, its a significant part of my income) that will take care of the new car I plan to send my oldest off into the world with so he can start debt free, as well as a half-year of living for us to bolster the already growing cash account so I dont have to touch investments for a few years. 

I don;t know....I think the fact that my wife and I didn't see our parents live long have made it difficult for us to worry about finances at 80 or the like...my current plan is to not take SS until 70 to maximize it, and if we run out of other money because the markets are bad at 75, 80, 85 whatever, so be it, that SS is a pretty good backstop at that point
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 02:46:33 PM by Much Fishing to Do »

Fjord

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #995 on: January 25, 2023, 01:48:44 AM »
You can add me to the list for August 2023. I'll be 50.

I've been over 4% since mid-2021. Bad market returns plus high inflation seems to be the worst way to start FIRE, so I held off last year. Between diversification and my savings rate, I'm still at 4%. I'm not sure if I'm buying at a discount or bailing out the ocean, but it's nice keeping up either way. Projects at work wrap up with a small bonus in July, so I'm OK with running through the tape but I'm done with OMY, no matter the market.

The MMM blog post that moneytaichi referenced (https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2022/07/18/never-run-out-of-money/) hits home: that 4% is very conservative. It's just cash-value retirement/investment funds which doesn't include my paid-off home, state pension, social security, possible inheritance, or any ability to reduce spending or gain income. The expected value is far beyond what I need. It's still possible everything fails, but not in a way that a little more money would help.

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #996 on: January 25, 2023, 04:32:14 AM »
The MMM blog post that moneytaichi referenced (https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2022/07/18/never-run-out-of-money/) hits home: that 4% is very conservative. It's just cash-value retirement/investment funds which doesn't include my paid-off home, state pension, social security, possible inheritance, or any ability to reduce spending or gain income. The expected value is far beyond what I need. It's still possible everything fails, but not in a way that a little more money would help.
Hello, and welcome!

The current problem is that compared to December 2021, between stock declines and inflation (added together), the decline (or extra stache needed) is typically 40%. This isn't sustainable. The FIRE projections do show a small failure rate, and I guess they come from periods like this. :-(

But life is finite, and there comes a time for everything. For me it is 2023, May. You sound well sorted, so well done!

goat_music_generator

• Bristles
« Reply #997 on: January 25, 2023, 08:32:00 AM »

Don't worry... you're not the only one. My spouse was set to be done in 2022, but, well, you can see how that turned out. ;-)

It's just how these things go... if there's a downturn, it takes a bit longer to get the full stash you were planning.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: January 25, 2023, 08:58:59 AM »

Well, I can tell you how this comes about, but no secret hot tips or intelligent insights I'm afraid.

These things help:
I've already OMY'd, so 12 months more savings.
I'm currently saving 77% of my earnings.
I'm in the UK, the UK stockmarket FTSE100 is close to it's highest ever number. Whilst I'm spread globally, there is some UK bias.
The strong US$ has helped my UK£ investments in US stocks.
My FIRE figure is relatively modest compared to what others seem to be targeting. The less you have, the less you loose in a downturn, and my ongoing substantial savings rate makes a bigger difference in maintaining my stache.
I'm relatively old, so I need a smaller stache, and am closer to being able to access pensions etc.

FIREing after 12 months of declines, whilst hitting my target amount, gives me a good chance of success I hope. Especially when we can comfortably manage on about 3%.

Probably not much help to others, but that's why I'm hitting my target, after 2022.

Thank you! this does give me a load of insight, if not hot how to tips :). 

Just have to keep swimming!

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #999 on: January 25, 2023, 09:30:17 AM »

Don't worry... you're not the only one. My spouse was set to be done in 2022, but, well, you can see how that turned out. ;-)

It's just how these things go... if there's a downturn, it takes a bit longer to get the full stash you were planning.

Thanks! it is helpful to know I am not alone :).

But sorry if that is a misery loves company approach!