Author Topic: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 - Buyback  (Read 2025 times)

FireOnTheMuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 - Buyback
« on: March 20, 2024, 12:47:35 PM »
People here seem to be interested in car deals so I thought I’d share my latest purchase.  My first car was a Honda Civic 2008 I bought in 2012 for $10,500.  Then we thought we needed a second car when my partner started work, so we got a 2012 Volvo S60 in 2014.  That turned out to be a bad decision so we sold the Volvo in 2018 and bought a 2015 Chevy Volt for $15,600, which I’ve loved.  Turned out we didn’t really need 2 cars, particularly during pandemic, so we finally sold the Honda Civic in 2021 when used car prices were really high. 

Now with 2 toddlers and attendant car seats, and grandmas that visit, we find we need more than a 4-seater.  We thought the Hyundai Ioniq 5 seemed cool and it won the car awards, and we have solar panels.  But new car prices have turn my stomach compared to what I paid for my Civic and Volt!

Fast forward to 2024, newly retired and lower income, with Inflation Reduction Act in swing, the 2022 Hyundai Ioniq (and I) now qualify for the $4000 used car tax credit IF you can find one under $25,000.  Plus we wanted the SEL version of the car because I feel FATFire enough for a little luxury.  Locally, there was nothing under about $35k.  So I searched farther afield and found a Buyback/lemon branded SEL with lowish miles about 350 miles away.  Did all the negotiation over the phone, put a deposit down, and bought a flight using miles to the dealer’s city for 2 days later.  Everything worked out and drove home in a single day.  They printed me out the signed IRS reporting form for the tax credit.

Final deal:
$23,475 + $399 tinting I couldn’t get out of.
+ $352 tire/rim 5yr warranty i chose as optional.

+ taxes and document fees.  Will have to pay registration fee in my state.

-~$2300 tax credit.  I think unfortunately my income mix won’t let me take advantage of the full $4k but maybe you can!  I’m going to have to watch my income very carefully toward end of year and then make a Roth IRA conversion to maximize this credit.

To get this deal, I agreed to finance.  Apparently, some auto loan banks give the dealer a kickback and this dealer passed some of it on to me.  The only condition is that I hold the loan for 4 on-time payments.  But I was free to make a huge pre-payment whenever I wanted.  So when I got home and the loan funded, I paid off $20k leaving ~$2000 on the loan.  So hopefully my total interest over the 4 months of payments won’t be much.

I’m also required to keep comprehensive car insurance, which I normally don’t.  So that’s another few hundred extra cost compared to buying all cash, but I can remove that after the 4 months also.

About the buyback/lemon issue, Ioniq 5s have had some failures of their onboard computer chip, called ICCU.  Sometimes, and particularly during the supply chain shortages, it took Hyundai too long to repair the issue.  So they bought back these cars as lemons in order to make the customer happy.  Then they replaced the ICCU and sent the car to auction.  Still has all of the Hyundai warranties that pass to second owners, though not all pass.

Pretty pleased with the car so far!  The SE probs would have been almost equally good and $2-3k cheaper, if you’re looking for even more of a deal.  Grandma is coming to visit tomorrow, so she will finally fit in the car!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 - Buyback
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 01:33:34 PM »
Sounds like a good deal! My in-laws have an Ioniq 5 and have been happy with it.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 04:33:03 AM »
Good deal. I like the Ioniq 5 too, although a friend bought one and had one of the common issues where the regular battery kept dying after a day or two of not being driven. They couldn't fix it at the time so Hyundai bought it back and he ended up with a Tesla Model Y.

Now that they can fix the Ioniqs, I think they're a great car.

FireOnTheMuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2024, 08:57:19 AM »
@Dave1442397, yeah that battery issue is maybe similar/related to the ICCU problem.  So, I’m the beneficiary of one of those buybacks.  So far charging and driving as expected!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2024, 12:00:19 PM »
I'm shopping Nissan Leafs right now. There is a lemon buyback for sale that is several thousand less than the others despite being a very nice car. Online, not seen it in person. Have considered it.

Right now there is a backup camera recall with no fix that I hope to use to my advantage during negotiations on any car that I like. Just shopping, not buying yet. 

Saw this series of tests of the Hyundai. Was not on my radar until then: https://www.youtube.com/@bjornnyland/search?query=ionic

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 01:27:46 PM »
There's a lot of Bolt lemons listed for sale for low mileage (under 20k - even around 5k) for around $15,000 or less. Most seem to be 2020s. I didn't know why they were listed as "lemon status" but now I get it. I lime the Ioniq but not in the market for an EV (or any car) at this time.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2024, 11:39:31 AM »
I only looked up CA law but their law is what I judge to be a very generous solution for the customer.  A lemon can be a problem car for which there is no solution or parts available in a relatively short period of time - something like 30 days. Maybe the Bolt lemons were cars unsafe to park near any structures but at one point their were no replacement batteries available?

A CarFax check might reveal these cars came from a generous lemon law state.

In the case of the Nissan Leaf I was looking at, it was a CA car and the backup camera is an ongoing problem for those cars. The problem seems to an electrical connector in the tailgate that needs to be snapped together again according to a couple of YouTube videos I have seen relating to the problem. It might not stay snapped together long term so as a DIY mechanic I would reinforce that connection with a zip tie or two. A different car I looked at online also has a no-op backup camera. I would definitely use that as a bargaining chip.

Not really a function I place alot of importance on in a smallish car. Bigger SUV or truck? Yes. Not a smallish car.

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2024, 11:30:23 PM »
I only looked up CA law but their law is what I judge to be a very generous solution for the customer.  A lemon can be a problem car for which there is no solution or parts available in a relatively short period of time - something like 30 days. Maybe the Bolt lemons were cars unsafe to park near any structures but at one point their were no replacement batteries available?

A CarFax check might reveal these cars came from a generous lemon law state.

In the case of the Nissan Leaf I was looking at, it was a CA car and the backup camera is an ongoing problem for those cars. The problem seems to an electrical connector in the tailgate that needs to be snapped together again according to a couple of YouTube videos I have seen relating to the problem. It might not stay snapped together long term so as a DIY mechanic I would reinforce that connection with a zip tie or two. A different car I looked at online also has a no-op backup camera. I would definitely use that as a bargaining chip.

Not really a function I place alot of importance on in a smallish car. Bigger SUV or truck? Yes. Not a smallish car.
I'm in Calif and looked up our lemon law and for the Bolts it was the battery so I assumed chevy bought back all those Bolts. So I was wondering if these used Bolts they have on sale at the chevy dealers and listed as lemons have had the batteries replaced.  And if they had to offer lower "lemon" prices even if ok now. Like you I wouldn't have a problem with something like a backup camera - especially if I could fix it myself - but a battery that catches on fire ....nope!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 11:34:08 PM by spartana »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 06:41:46 AM »
Y'all have backup cameras?

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 11:06:42 AM »
That’s a good car and a good deal!

I really like the Ioniq and related EV6 lines.  I would have gotten one myself a few years back if it weren’t for the supply chain issues of the time.

FireOnTheMuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 10:47:40 AM »
Yes, this car was from CA and must have taken longer than 30 days for Hyundai to fix the ICCU issue, so got bought back.  I mean, in theory if the Bolt buybacks are for sale again, the batteries must have been replaced by now and be safe?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 03:41:20 PM »
Yes, the new Bolt batteries are supposed to be safe. Spend a while on the Chevy Bolt forum and see what they are saying.

crocheted_stache

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 10:48:57 PM »
link=topic=133925.msg3244864#msg3244864 date=1711017183]
Good deal. I like the Ioniq 5 too, although a friend bought one and had one of the common issues where the regular battery kept dying after a day or two of not being driven. They couldn't fix it at the time so Hyundai bought it back and he ended up with a Tesla Model Y.

Now that they can fix the Ioniqs, I think they're a great car.
[/quote]

This, not "range anxiety," makes me hesitate to get an electric car. My car routinely sits in the driveway for a week at a time while DH and I both bike everywhere.

To get this deal, I agreed to finance.  Apparently, some auto loan banks give the dealer a kickback and this dealer passed some of it on to me.  The only condition is that I hold the loan for 4 on-time payments.  But I was free to make a huge pre-payment whenever I wanted.  So when I got home and the loan funded, I paid off $20k leaving ~$2000 on the loan.  So hopefully my total interest over the 4 months of payments won’t be much.

This is about the only reason I'd take another loan at this point, if I could make it work for me to get an overall better deal on something.

Glad you love it, and thanks for sharing the story.

FireOnTheMuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2024, 12:48:19 AM »
@crocheted_stache, this regular battery dying thing isn't normally a problem.  These cars use the big battery to trickle charge the 12v battery, so you shouldn't NORMALLY have this issue.  It should not be nearly as bad as leaving an internal combustion engine car sitting on the driveway for long periods.  My old Honda Civic was ALWAYS not starting because it sat around too much and I'd have to charge up the 12v to start it. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2024, 08:19:12 AM »
This, not "range anxiety," makes me hesitate to get an electric car. My car routinely sits in the driveway for a week at a time while DH and I both bike everywhere.
A software or electrical problem on an ICE vehicle could also cause a battery drain, I don't think avoiding EVs really helps here. In theory an EV could sit in your driveway for longer than a traditional combustion vehicle because the 12V will stay topped up by the giant high voltage battery. An electric car can sit for months unused without the battery going flat.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2024, 03:32:20 PM »
Several of the EV models from different manufacturers have had the dying 12V battery problem. The Leaf is the one I'm most familiar with.

Alot of stuff stays on in the car for the app to be able to reach the car. Over time the battery gets low. The car is supposed to check the 12V battery charge level from time to time and give it a quick short charge from time to time but initially Nissan's algorithm wasn't boosting the battery enough once the 12V lead-acid battery had some age on it.

But like I said, several brands have had to work past details like that. 

EVs seem so advanced but its 2024 is still an early chapter in the history of EVs. ;)

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 06:39:31 PM »
A software or electrical problem on an ICE vehicle could also cause a battery drain, I don't think avoiding EVs really helps here. In theory an EV could sit in your driveway for longer than a traditional combustion vehicle because the 12V will stay topped up by the giant high voltage battery. An electric car can sit for months unused without the battery going flat.

There’s several related issues here. Different EV’s suffer some level of phantom battery drain. It has to do with various computers and electronics that may have to run at various points during the day. Fancy EV accessories like Tesla’s “sentry mode” can add to phantom drain. It’s commonly in the 0.5% per day range. So leaving the car for a week isn’t an issue. But you’ll want to leave it plugged in if you’re leaving it for months.

The systems that keep the 12V system charged have been much more complex than the automakers originally expected. The first Ford and Rivian EV’s had issues keeping the 12V battery system charged. Both have since fixed this issue with a software update, and it shouldn’t be an issue on these cars going forward.

BringFuturamaBack

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024, 07:57:00 AM »
Amazing post. This has to be one of the coolest cars out there. I was hoping to find a limited version with the 2WD instead of the AWD for the increased range. I'd be super curious to know if you're running into any issues with the 12v battery and what the range and charging speed is like in winter and summer with no pre-conditioning. I don't live in a super cold weather environment but most of our winter stays around freezing all day. It would also live outside and not in the garage which is another potential concern. My plan was to try and get one this fall or next fall. I think prices on the 2022 will continue to drop as the new 2025 model looks to address virtually all of the complaints about the car.....but I don't want to spend 50k+ on that version given I drive maybe 5k miles per year.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 08:38:24 AM »
Amazing post. This has to be one of the coolest cars out there. I was hoping to find a limited version with the 2WD instead of the AWD for the increased range. I'd be super curious to know if you're running into any issues with the 12v battery and what the range and charging speed is like in winter and summer with no pre-conditioning. I don't live in a super cold weather environment but most of our winter stays around freezing all day. It would also live outside and not in the garage which is another potential concern. My plan was to try and get one this fall or next fall. I think prices on the 2022 will continue to drop as the new 2025 model looks to address virtually all of the complaints about the car.....but I don't want to spend 50k+ on that version given I drive maybe 5k miles per year.

I think that's a good plan.  I briefly looked at prices on used, and there are some good deals out there.

Honestly, I wouldn't obsess about the range difference between 2wd and AWD.  New EV owners generally expect user experience to be defined by "OMG, I need all the range to avoid hassles".  Actual user experience is determined by the intersection of range, efficiency, and charging speed.  The IONIQ 5 is pretty much top of the market for both efficiency and charging speed.  It gets around 4mi/kWh IIRC (nearly twice as efficient as my Rivian) and can sustain higher charging rates throughout the charging curve.  The practical differences between the AWD and RWD should be pretty minimal. 

FireOnTheMuffin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 10:35:54 AM »
@BringFuturamaBack, I've had no problems with the 12v so far.  Have driven over 2000 miles since purchase.  However, I live in about the mildest climate there is in SoCal.  That's part of why we felt fine getting a 2022, even though it doesn't have battery pre-conditioning.  If you don't need an SEL, there are SEs out there for shockingly low prices + tax credit!  There are not that many Limiteds, I think. 

@NorCal is correct, we have been getting around 4mi/kwh here.  It depends on the trip and whether it's climb or descent, but our normal trips sometimes end up at 3.6mi/kwh or up to 4.5mi/kwh. 

As far as charging speed, I had to charge twice on my way home from the dealer.  I stopped at an Electrify America charger, went into the shop to use the bathroom and buy a coffee/hot dog, and I didn't even have time to eat my hot dog before the charge level had gone from 10-20% to over 90%. 

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2024, 09:31:14 AM »
@BringFuturamaBack, I've had no problems with the 12v so far.  Have driven over 2000 miles since purchase.  However, I live in about the mildest climate there is in SoCal.  That's part of why we felt fine getting a 2022, even though it doesn't have battery pre-conditioning.  If you don't need an SEL, there are SEs out there for shockingly low prices + tax credit!  There are not that many Limiteds, I think. 

@NorCal is correct, we have been getting around 4mi/kwh here.  It depends on the trip and whether it's climb or descent, but our normal trips sometimes end up at 3.6mi/kwh or up to 4.5mi/kwh. 

As far as charging speed, I had to charge twice on my way home from the dealer.  I stopped at an Electrify America charger, went into the shop to use the bathroom and buy a coffee/hot dog, and I didn't even have time to eat my hot dog before the charge level had gone from 10-20% to over 90%.

Damn, that's a screaming deal! At least $10k under normal price! Good job. Around here I don't see any below $32k, for any model. One at $28k, but I think that's a shady dealer on cars.com. Usually a bait-n-switch I think

edit; expanded my search. See quite a few more up in NJ around $26k, both SE and SEL. Maybe something to consider
Don't qualify for the credit so not worried about that
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:45:03 AM by Scandium »

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2024, 10:00:36 AM »

I'm in Calif and looked up our lemon law and for the Bolts it was the battery so I assumed chevy bought back all those Bolts. So I was wondering if these used Bolts they have on sale at the chevy dealers and listed as lemons have had the batteries replaced.  And if they had to offer lower "lemon" prices even if ok now. Like you I wouldn't have a problem with something like a backup camera - especially if I could fix it myself - but a battery that catches on fire ....nope!

My husband had a 2017 Bolt, and yeah - the battery. He sold his back, and turned around in the same visit and bought a 2021 model, with an improved battery.  If he had kept his old one, they would have had an entire new battery pack installed before being returned to him.

The new one? Same issue. He took it in for a software update, and they software-coded the battery to only charge to 80%, without his knowledge or permission. He was PISSED.

He does like the new Bolt, there are a few nice upgrades - but apparently he won't have the full range back next year, when the car reaches 16k miles of additional driving. (They limited the range for 16,300 miles, and the car never logs the warning, the software override expires, and it will go back to its full range). The problem is that DH only logs 7k miles per year, so it'll be more than 2 years of driving before GM considers the battery "not one of the problem" batteries.

And what had him searching for another EV after that? There is no compensation for the restriction over that 2 year period.