Author Topic: What is your opinion of Dave Ramsey?  (Read 411306 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: What is your opinion of Dave Ramsey?
« Reply #400 on: January 10, 2022, 07:43:29 AM »
In a separate thought from the discussion of the rental properties, I happened to observe on FB that one of my HS friends recently started a new job working in Analytics for Ramsey Solutions. I'll see if I can extract any juicy information from him.

He may not be willing to say much, even if he does have juicy info. From this Tennessean article:

Ramsey’s return to in-person work frustrated Heather Fulk. She has asthma, which puts her at higher risk if infected with COVID-19. After learning employees were being called back to headquarters, she made what she thought was an innocuous comment in a private Facebook post.

“Jon’s [Heather's spouse] company [Ramsey Solutions] wants to bring all 900 employees back asap when a majority can do their work from home,” she wrote on April 20. “I do *not* understand how people don’t see we are setting ourselves up for a huge second wave. Ugh, people make me so angry.”

Before long, Jon got a call from his supervisor who said a co-worker had reported Heather’s comment. They had a screenshot of the post, sent by the co-worker’s spouse.

A few weeks later, Jon was fired. In his exit interview, Armando Lopez, head of human resources at Ramsey, confirmed that the cause was his wife’s social media comment, according to a recording of the meeting.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: January 10, 2022, 07:45:57 AM »
Based on other FB activity, I don't believe my friend would be troubled by the failings of the Ramsey organization that have been mentioned in this discussion thread.

mcraw25

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #402 on: January 16, 2022, 09:20:48 AM »
Love Dave. His system works.  Is it the best of the best? Depends how you measure. 

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: January 16, 2022, 09:59:35 AM »
Religious institutions aside, anybody who ties their business directly to deities is detestable in my book.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #404 on: January 16, 2022, 10:37:03 AM »
Love Dave. His system works.  Is it the best of the best? Depends how you measure.
Sure, if you're debt ridden. It does NOT work if your goal is FIRE. Most of us are here to achieve FIRE or to help others in their quest for same. Overall, very few people are here with the goal of getting out of debt just so they can become (or ontinue to be) masters of overconsumption.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: January 16, 2022, 10:43:21 AM »
Sure, if you're debt ridden. It does NOT work if your goal is FIRE. Most of us are here to achieve FIRE or to help others in their quest for same. Overall, very few people are here with the goal of getting out of debt just so they can become (or ontinue to be) masters of overconsumption.

It's been said before multiple times on this thread, but this is it in a nut shell. DR works great for people who have tons of debt. If you have tons of debt, you likely need all of the psychological things that come with the method. His advice is super sound (minus the math of paying off lower interest stuff, but again, if you're in that boat, you probably need to do it his way for the psychological boost). There will always be a divide, because if you've gotten out of debt with his plan, you're likely going to be a loyal adherent. If you're focus is at all on RE, he's not the guy for you, and people in that boat will rightly call him out for his flaws on that end.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: February 14, 2022, 06:17:00 PM »
I like him okay.  I got some good pieces of advice from him here and there back when I had some consumer debt a few years back.   I don't agree with him regarding credit cards as I churn them and have gotten an extra $2700 from them in the past 3 years, without paying a dime or interest or buying anything more than I already buy. (I also have an excellent credit score as a result and have the ability to get an emergency loan at a low interest rate if something bad happens.)  I also don't agree with him suggesting mutual funds and to go to his web site for a li$t of hi$ approved financial a$$i$tant$; I am more in line with JL Collins and focus on Vanguard total index funds.

It's fun to watch his shows once and a while, reminding of what I went through in the past. It's funny to hear him scolding others in debt:  "I want you eating beans and rice, and don't step into a restaurant unless you are working there as a side hustle to pay off your debt." LOL.   I am watching his show right now for fun :) 

As far as debt payment, it made more sense for me to pay off the highest interest loans first.  But for some people, paying off the small ones first might help them, feeling they are accomplishing more; not for me though.

I am neutral about him with respect to Christianity since I am Christian, but I disagree with prosperity gospel.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:28:18 PM by JenniferW »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #407 on: February 15, 2022, 02:31:28 PM »
In a separate thought from the discussion of the rental properties, I happened to observe on FB that one of my HS friends recently started a new job working in Analytics for Ramsey Solutions. I'll see if I can extract any juicy information from him.

He may not be willing to say much, even if he does have juicy info. From this Tennessean article:

Ramsey’s return to in-person work frustrated Heather Fulk. She has asthma, which puts her at higher risk if infected with COVID-19. After learning employees were being called back to headquarters, she made what she thought was an innocuous comment in a private Facebook post.

“Jon’s [Heather's spouse] company [Ramsey Solutions] wants to bring all 900 employees back asap when a majority can do their work from home,” she wrote on April 20. “I do *not* understand how people don’t see we are setting ourselves up for a huge second wave. Ugh, people make me so angry.”

Before long, Jon got a call from his supervisor who said a co-worker had reported Heather’s comment. They had a screenshot of the post, sent by the co-worker’s spouse.

A few weeks later, Jon was fired. In his exit interview, Armando Lopez, head of human resources at Ramsey, confirmed that the cause was his wife’s social media comment, according to a recording of the meeting.

Yup, seeing this goes along with the way I view him, as a terrible human being that lacks any compassion.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #408 on: April 21, 2022, 06:38:17 AM »
So it's been more than nine weeks, but I feel like I should come in and acknowledge good stuff alongside the bad that we've put in this thread:

Dave and Rachel took an interesting--and I think correct--approach to a caller from Wed, 4/20: it's the "Help, I have $500,000 in the bank, and I'm too scared to invest it" episode.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #409 on: April 21, 2022, 09:32:21 AM »
So it's been more than nine weeks, but I feel like I should come in and acknowledge good stuff alongside the bad that we've put in this thread:

Dave and Rachel took an interesting--and I think correct--approach to a caller from Wed, 4/20: it's the "Help, I have $500,000 in the bank, and I'm too scared to invest it" episode.

Link?  The only episode I could find was from 2019... maybe a rebroadcast?

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #410 on: April 21, 2022, 09:34:28 AM »

Link?  The only episode I could find was from 2019... maybe a rebroadcast?

https://www.ramseysolutions.com/shows/the-ramsey-show

3rd column, first row

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #411 on: April 21, 2022, 09:41:01 AM »
Thanks

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #412 on: April 26, 2022, 12:53:06 PM »
Putting aside his teachings, which I don't follow or have any opinion, his site has some useful calculators in the tools section that are free and easy to use.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2022, 03:57:32 PM »
Putting aside his teachings, which I don't follow or have any opinion, his site has some useful calculators in the tools section that are free and easy to use.

?!
You mean like his ‘retirement calculator’ which recommends [only] 15% savings rate, implies 10-12% total returns and ignores inflation?

Or his budgeting app which keeps pushing users towards a “full-featured” paid version (ironic?) for $100/6 months when those features are free elsewhere?

Or the bare bones calculator that applauds you even when paying off a sub 1% loan?

How are those “good” calculators?

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2022, 04:04:05 PM »

?!
You mean like his ‘retirement calculator’ which recommends [only] 15% savings rate, implies 10-12% total returns and ignores inflation?

Or his budgeting app which keeps pushing users towards a “full-featured” paid version (ironic?) for $100/6 months when those features are free elsewhere?

Or the bare bones calculator that applauds you even when paying off a sub 1% loan?

I use and like this one.

Easy to forecast and play with numbers. Let’s you choose the return percentage.

https://www.ramseysolutions.com/retirement/investment-calculator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: April 26, 2022, 07:28:49 PM »

?!

Please re-read my opening line again. I have used the investment calculator the most and the savings rate and total returns are set by the user, regardless of his teachings.  I don't have to provide any personal info to gain access to the calculator.  Providing a free limited version vs. one with more features is a rather common marketing tactic. I have never used the budgeting tool.  At the end of the day, people do have to think for themselves.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 07:32:38 PM by bmjohnson35 »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #416 on: April 27, 2022, 03:45:06 AM »
No misunderstanding here - I simply find his calculators to be pretty sub-standard compared to what else is available for free on the internet. The calculator’s instructions also make suggestions that conflict with the values and goals espoused on the MMM forum, and they blatantly funny people towards giving Dave more money for things which can be gotten for free.
Hard pass.

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #417 on: November 16, 2023, 06:09:38 PM »
Latest dust up related to Ramsey involves him ranting about 4% withdrawal rates being too low and saying you can do 8%.  Apparently we're all nerds with calculators who live in our mother's basement:
https://twitter.com/mbontrager5/status/1722478848573329702

Big ERN had a good breakdown of how bad of advice this is:
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2023/11/12/dave-ramsey-8-percent-withdrawal-rate/

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #418 on: November 16, 2023, 06:59:52 PM »
Latest dust up related to Ramsey involves him ranting about 4% withdrawal rates being too low and saying you can do 8%.  Apparently we're all nerds with calculators who live in our mother's basement:
https://twitter.com/mbontrager5/status/1722478848573329702

Big ERN had a good breakdown of how bad of advice this is:
https://earlyretirementnow.com/2023/11/12/dave-ramsey-8-percent-withdrawal-rate/

There's already a thread here discussing that specifically:
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/dave-ramsey-suggests-an-8-withdrawal-rate-to-never-run-out-of-money/

blahme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #419 on: December 02, 2023, 08:43:02 AM »
He is a bigot, I had a friend of a friend who was hired by Ramsey and then once Ramsey found out the church the person belonged to he fired them.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #420 on: December 18, 2023, 12:47:51 PM »
I’ve lately been listening to the Ramsey podcast. After years of hearing about how bad Dave Ramsey is, I was surprised that I enjoy his program. I can’t say I’m going to enjoy it forever, probably at some point he’ll start wearing on me, as most of them do.

But I like his stern dad-like delivery style and also his guidance in just leading some people through common sense decisions that have astonishing consequences they don’t seem to think about.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #421 on: December 18, 2023, 01:53:43 PM »
I listen to Dave Ramsey once in a while. Man, I have to say...I've been listening to the Ramit Sethi podcast "I will teach you to be rich" and I find myself longing for Dave Ramsey to smack these people and just make it stop. Very different style and the contrast makes me appreciate Dave Ramsey's no nonsense approach more than I used to.

Ramit just lets them go around and around in circles. For the most part the couples are making absolutely bananas financial choices and need face punches as well as marriage/relationship counseling and to me Ramit seems completely unqualified. It's a hate listen for sure and sometimes I can't take it anymore and turn it off.

Whereas Ramsey gives the bottom line after asking a few questions and if there's a strong "batshit crazy" element to the call-in's story he just says y'all need marriage counseling and shuts it down.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #422 on: December 18, 2023, 02:46:20 PM »
I’ve lately been listening to the Ramsey podcast. After years of hearing about how bad Dave Ramsey is, I was surprised that I enjoy his program. I can’t say I’m going to enjoy it forever, probably at some point he’ll start wearing on me, as most of them do.

But I like his stern dad-like delivery style and also his guidance in just leading some people through common sense decisions that have astonishing consequences they don’t seem to think about.

No one here has ever said otherwise. The consensus here has always been that his basic advice is sound for people who need to get out of debt.

The issue people take with him is that he's a hypocritical bigot who has deeply hurt many people, and he gives dumb shit investing advice that helps him sell shitty financial products.

It's precisely the fact that he's generally likable and says generally helpful stuff that makes him so dangerous because the more popular he gets, the more power he has to cause damage because of his hypocrisy and bigotry.

He may be likable, he's just not a good person.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #423 on: December 18, 2023, 04:53:20 PM »
I listen to Dave Ramsey once in a while. Man, I have to say...I've been listening to the Ramit Sethi podcast "I will teach you to be rich" and I find myself longing for Dave Ramsey to smack these people and just make it stop. Very different style and the contrast makes me appreciate Dave Ramsey's no nonsense approach more than I used to.

Ramit just lets them go around and around in circles. For the most part the couples are making absolutely bananas financial choices and need face punches as well as marriage/relationship counseling and to me Ramit seems completely unqualified. It's a hate listen for sure and sometimes I can't take it anymore and turn it off.

Whereas Ramsey gives the bottom line after asking a few questions and if there's a strong "batshit crazy" element to the call-in's story he just says y'all need marriage counseling and shuts it down.
Hunh! Funny!

I thought Ramit’s last couple of shows were really really good. He likes to delve into (what he sees as) the roots of each person’s attitude about money and have them come to the realization that those fears, thoughts, and values guide the often bad decisions they are making today.

I think that is a worthy endeaver, but yes, hearing daddy Dave slap ‘em upside o’the head is a cleanser for Ramit’s style.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 05:49:27 PM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #424 on: December 18, 2023, 06:11:45 PM »

Hunh! Funny!

I thought Ramit’s last couple of shows were really really good. He likes to delve into (what he sees as) the roots of each person’s attitude about money and have them come to the realization that those fears, thoughts, and values guide the often bad decisions they are making today.

I think that is a worthy endeaver, but yes, hearing daddy Dave slap ‘em upside o’the head is a cleanser for Ramit’s style.

Just FYI, in this day and age, that has a distinctly sexual connotation.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: December 18, 2023, 06:42:14 PM »

Hunh! Funny!

Sure.

I dip in now and then to the sub Reddit “sugar daddies” . But I do not see Dave Ramsey as my sugar or any kind of daddy, .

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2023, 06:47:03 PM »

Hunh! Funny!

Sure.

I dip in now and then to the sub Reddit “sugar daddies” . But I do not see Dave Ramsey as my sugar or any kind of daddy, .

N'ah, Daddy is now a sexual term for older sexualized men, it comes from the gay community but spread into common parlance. For example, Pedro Pascal is the current iconic "Daddy" actor and is relentlessly sexualized with the moniker.

I wasn't saying you thought that of DR, I was just letting you know that if you use the term "Daddy" in reference to an older man, people are likely to assume you mean it sexually.

ETA: wait...why do you visit a Reddit group about sugar daddies???

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: December 18, 2023, 06:52:29 PM »

Hunh! Funny!

Sure.

N'ah, Daddy is now a sexual term for older sexualized men, it comes from the gay community but spread into common parlance. For example, Pedro Pascal is the current iconic "Daddy" actor and is relentlessly sexualized with the moniker.

I wasn't saying you thought that of DR, I was just letting you know that if you use the term "Daddy" in reference to an older man, people are likely to assume you mean it sexually.

Yes, I’m aware that Pedro Pascal was at the top of the sub Reddit that polled for everyone’s favorite daddies. I barely know who that guy is. My vote was for Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

I peruse the sugar daddy sub because it’s interesting. I’m not looking for a sugar daddy or a sugar baby, it’s just one slice of American life.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #428 on: December 19, 2023, 04:21:09 AM »

I can't watch the Ramit show for this very reason. The style and format bothers me. My perception is that he takes the position of marriage counselor with very personal questions and statements about human behavior. He is not qualified to do this and it bothers me. I hope that it's helpful for people. I wonder how many people break up after being on his show.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #429 on: December 19, 2023, 05:05:02 AM »

Hunh! Funny!

Sure.

Yes, I’m aware that Pedro Pascal was at the top of the sub Reddit that polled for everyone’s favorite daddies. I barely know who that guy is. My vote was for Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

I peruse the sugar daddy sub because it’s interesting. I’m not looking for a sugar daddy or a sugar baby, it’s just one slice of American life.

Big cultural difference here. The term “sugar daddy” is quite different from the other “daddy Dave”

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #430 on: December 19, 2023, 05:33:19 AM »

Hunh! Funny!

Sure.

Big cultural difference here. The term “sugar daddy” is quite different from the other “daddy Dave”

Yeah, that was a stretch even for this board to make. Goodness.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #431 on: December 19, 2023, 06:12:48 AM »

I think you might be misinterpreting nereo, I'm pretty sure he agrees with me that the phrase "Daddy Dave" could easily be read to have sexual connotation. Also, Iris and I get along well, I was just playfully teasing her that she may have unintentionally sounded like she was sexualizing DR, which is funny, but also gross.

A lot of us are actually good friends here and mean well when we respond to each other.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #432 on: December 19, 2023, 10:39:57 AM »

I can't watch the Ramit show for this very reason. The style and format bothers me. My perception is that he takes the position of marriage counselor with very personal questions and statements about human behavior. He is not qualified to do this and it bothers me. I hope that it's helpful for people. I wonder how many people break up after being on his show.

Sometimes I cheer them on in breaking up, the couples on Ramit’s show.

I can think of one instance where they did break up after appearing on Ramit’s podcast.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 10:41:50 AM by iris lily »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #433 on: December 19, 2023, 11:22:00 AM »

I think you might be misinterpreting nereo, I'm pretty sure he agrees with me that the phrase "Daddy Dave" could easily be read to have sexual connotation. Also, Iris and I get along well, I was just playfully teasing her that she may have unintentionally sounded like she was sexualizing DR, which is funny, but also gross.

A lot of us are actually good friends here and mean well when we respond to each other.

I actually read the total money makeover because someone on here posted the security gland bit which I thought was hilariously pornographic (also misogynist and a bit icky in a way that i associate with stand up comedy from the 90s, but it was funy because it was so unexpected). Sadly that was the only sex-related joke to make it past the censors.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 11:26:18 AM by Morning Glory »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #434 on: December 19, 2023, 12:07:06 PM »

I actually read the total money makeover because someone on here posted the security gland bit which I thought was hilariously pornographic (also misogynist and a bit icky in a way that i associate with stand up comedy from the 90s, but it was funy because it was so unexpected). Sadly that was the only sex-related joke to make it past the censors.

Lol!

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #435 on: December 21, 2023, 07:34:13 AM »

Hunh! Funny!

I agree with you on the Ramit part.  It's interesting to see the "why" behind where certain people get their money behaviors.

I find Dave's show boring because you know what he is going to say before the caller even finishes their question.  He has a template and once you understand it, there isn't much left to learn from him.