Author Topic: Fit and Fabulous for FIRE  (Read 5314 times)

RH

• Stubble
Fit and Fabulous for FIRE
« on: December 08, 2023, 01:12:51 PM »
One of the big benefits of FIRE is that after all the hard work, you finally get control over the 24 hours in your day. You get to choose what you do with that time versus work and stress controlling many of the hours. For me, I think it's really important to prioritize fitness so that what you choose to do during the day isn't impacted by your fitness abilities. You want to be able to travel, hike, bike, swim, and do long walks. I've started using Arnold Schwarzenegger's PUMP app to get in shape and track my fitness goals. It's a really well designed app made by Arnold and his 2 friends. It's still in the beta stages, so use this code to get access: GWZCYP

Here is the iOS version: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/the-pump/id6443714593
Here is the Android version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.the.pump&hl=en_US

Check it out and read the reviews. I've noticed a big difference in 6 weeks and I had been working out for 2 years beforehand. Just my 2 cents.

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Fit and Fabulous for FIRE
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 01:37:25 PM »
I think your premise and conclusion are correct. My only critique would be is that app the best way to get in FIRE shape or 20 something beach body shape?  I think the training is completely different for these two objectives.  I think you should train with your end goal in mind. So hiking if you want to be able to hike. Play pickleball if you want to be able to play pickleball, etc. I think for most 40+ year olds, the focus should be on functionality, flexibility, some strength, some endurance, etc.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 07:30:17 AM by wageslave23 »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 02:07:54 PM »
I think your premise and conclusion are correct. My only critic would be is that app the best way to get in FIRE shape or 20 something beach body shape?  I think the training is completely different for these two objectives.  I think you should train with your end goal in mind. So hiking if you want to be able to hike. Play pickleball if you want to be able to play pickleball, etc. I think for most 40+ year olds, the focus should be on functionality, flexibility, some strength, some endurance, etc.

Strength training past 40 is probably the number one thing a person can do to encourage the best healthspan possible. Playing pickleball or hiking will only help you with those very specific activities. As you age, muscle mass declines rapidly which severely hinders daily activities and increases risk of injury. 40-50 is the best time to start resistance training, if someone hasn’t already.

With strength and endurance training, stability generally follows, and function will come from practicing your given hobby/sport.

I recently finished “Outlive” by Peter Attia, which I’d recommend to everyone. Focused very heavily on healthspan. The audiobook is great, as are his podcasts. He’s an MD out of Austin. In short, out of nearly everything someone can do for their healthspan, strength training constantly seems to be number one for many facets.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 04:31:50 PM by use2betrix »

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2023, 02:26:35 PM »
My goal is “just don’t stop”…fingers crossed: A little lifting; yard work (lots of bending and using random muscles); 1 or 2 walks of 4-7 miles a week; 250-350 miles biking a month—and a week-long tour or century every year (so I’m always in training for something).

Goddamn rotator cuff has me in a foul mood tho. Probably just a tendon but still. I cut out the lifting for the foreseeable and buying a shorter stem for the road bike.  I’m a horrible patient, the worst. Pity my wife.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2023, 03:38:11 PM »
I joined a Farrell’s gym a year ago and it has been freaking amazing. Kickboxing workout classes three times a week, strength training classes the other days. And the bonus is it is a great community. I’ve never had a gym experience like this. And I am freaking ripped now, lol!

GilesMM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2023, 01:03:01 AM »
A rigorous daily exercise routine is essential to successful retirement including gym and cardio.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2023, 06:47:38 PM »
A rigorous daily exercise routine is essential to successful retirement including gym and cardio.

On my list of fitness goals for 2024 is 200 hours on the heavy bag. It's therapeutic, great cardio, and builds up the body.

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 04:41:20 AM »
I think your premise and conclusion are correct. My only critic would be is that app the best way to get in FIRE shape or 20 something beach body shape?  I think the training is completely different for these two objectives.  I think you should train with your end goal in mind. So hiking if you want to be able to hike. Play pickleball if you want to be able to play pickleball, etc. I think for most 40+ year olds, the focus should be on functionality, flexibility, some strength, some endurance, etc.

Strength training past 40 is probably the number one thing a person can do to encourage the best healthspan possible. Playing pickleball or hiking will only help you with those very specific activities. As you age, muscle mass declines rapidly which severely hinders daily activities and increases risk of injury. 40-50 is the best time to start resistance training, if someone hasn’t already.

With strength and endurance training, stability generally follows, and function will come from practicing your given hobby/sport.

I recently finished “Outlive” by Peter Attia, which I’d recommend to everyone. Focused very heavily on healthspan. The audiobook is great, as are his podcasts. He’s an MD out of Austin. In short, out of nearly everything someone can do for their healthspan, strength training constantly seems to be number one for many facets.

Epidemiology studies with large data sets in the United States consistently show that people who live the longest are those who engage in low to moderate intensity exercise. These are the walkers and hikers.

High-intensity exercise adds to quality of life, but not longevity. Once you get age 50+ the high intensity exercise puts people at extreme risk of heart attack. High-intensity exercisers do not out-live non-exercisers, which is crazy. Their longevity is about the same. One of my baseball teammates from high school had his dad die of a heart attack while running on a treadmill at age 50 and was in good shape. He pushed it too hard. This happens more often than people think.

I am not an MD. However, cross-fit and similar programs are very dangerous for people age 50+. If you are going to lift weights and you are age 50+, it should be the low intensity weight lifting. Less weight with more reps. If you are 50+, don't try to max out a bench press with one rep.   

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2023, 05:35:02 AM »

Epidemiology studies with large data sets in the United States consistently show that people who live the longest are those who engage in low to moderate intensity exercise. These are the walkers and hikers.

High-intensity exercise adds to quality of life, but not longevity. Once you get age 50+ the high intensity exercise puts people at extreme risk of heart attack. High-intensity exercisers do not out-live non-exercisers, which is crazy. Their longevity is about the same. One of my baseball teammates from high school had his dad die of a heart attack while running on a treadmill at age 50 and was in good shape. He pushed it too hard. This happens more often than people think.

I am not an MD. However, cross-fit and similar programs are very dangerous for people age 50+. If you are going to lift weights and you are age 50+, it should be the low intensity weight lifting. Less weight with more reps. If you are 50+, don't try to max out a bench press with one rep.

Yeah, when I was in a med school class covering this topic the researcher/MD teaching made the point that most of the research at that time (awhile ago) cited "weight bearing exercise," which many in science reporting misinterpreted to mean "weight lifting," when really, any activity moving your body around is weight bearing.

That's said, it was years ago and they said a lot of dumbfuck shit in med school classes, so there's that.

But yeah, people don't need to be training to maximize strength if they're just trying to stay healthy. It's just not necessary. What gym-culture considers exercise is pretty extreme for most people's health needs.

Performance goals are not the same as health goals. Once you get to a certain level of strength, you don't actually have to keep pushing heavier and heavier weights. There's absolutely no need. There's also no need to push beyond just body weight for a lot of muscles and joints.

I do a lot of upper body weight stuff right now largely because my legs don't work, but never particularly heavy weights. The more I exercise, the easier the weights get, but I don't bother with more reps or heavier weights because I have no need to. I have good muscle mass and gold strength. More of anything would just cause damage.

I've been in rehab-mode for a very long time, it radically alters perception of how exercise helps the body vs what the fitness industry pushes.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 05:39:18 AM by Metalcat »

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 07:58:53 AM »
I am listening to the Pump Club podcast and joined the emailing list when it first came out. I am a fan of Arnold but still on the fence if this is more of a marketing make money thing or really about being "The positive corner of the internet".   

wageslave23

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2023, 06:08:44 PM »

Yeah, when I was in a med school class covering this topic the researcher/MD teaching made the point that most of the research at that time (awhile ago) cited "weight bearing exercise," which many in science reporting misinterpreted to mean "weight lifting," when really, any activity moving your body around is weight bearing.

That's said, it was years ago and they said a lot of dumbfuck shit in med school classes, so there's that.

But yeah, people don't need to be training to maximize strength if they're just trying to stay healthy. It's just not necessary. What gym-culture considers exercise is pretty extreme for most people's health needs.

Performance goals are not the same as health goals. Once you get to a certain level of strength, you don't actually have to keep pushing heavier and heavier weights. There's absolutely no need. There's also no need to push beyond just body weight for a lot of muscles and joints.

I do a lot of upper body weight stuff right now largely because my legs don't work, but never particularly heavy weights. The more I exercise, the easier the weights get, but I don't bother with more reps or heavier weights because I have no need to. I have good muscle mass and gold strength. More of anything would just cause damage.

I've been in rehab-mode for a very long time, it radically alters perception of how exercise helps the body vs what the fitness industry pushes.

Tom Brady, who is obviously not a medical professional but did have millions of dollars riding on his health, notoriously pushed moderation in exercise.  He said it helped him recover faster and prevented injury. This is from a professional athlete who is in his 40's.  I don't need to train harder than Tom Brady. Also anecdotally, I've been going to the same gym for 25 years.  The guys that are in their 60s that are still lifting heavy weights have aged horribly.  They have lingering injuries, terrible hunched over posture, and limited range of motion. All of the people who I know who are healthy in their 80s never formally exercised a day in their life. Their exercise was and continues to be playing with their kids and now great grandkids, house work, walking in the neighborhood, yard work and gardening.