Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 404452 times)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #850 on: December 24, 2020, 09:59:00 AM »
DH has begun the process of exploring options. He is firmly dedicated to learning to work only 40 hours a week this year and is spending the remainder of this year coming up with a plan to present to his manager. If he can keep down his hours and his stress levels, he might choose to let them continue to pay him while we travel. His current motto is "They'll just have to get rid of me."

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #851 on: December 24, 2020, 12:39:41 PM »
Hello 2022 gang. I’m a first-time poster but have enjoyed this resource for some time. I think I am in your class! This has been a tough year, but I forecast that I can FIRE in early 2022 when I will be 48.
I was already WFH when the pandemic hit, and I have to say the org I work for has treated me very well for the most part, so I feel a bit guilty for even thinking of leaving.

But it is a position that can tie me to my desk with deadlines that range from assignments spanning a few hours to several months and everything in between and I’m tired! I have a for-now minor but progressive disability and I need to not hunker over a keyboard soon. At some point when there is much less C19 risk I’d like to get more involved in my community, I enjoyed my volunteer gig until it was forced to stop.

One thing I thought of today is that this year’s employee review (in March) would be the last one that I would have! My boss writes nice things but the take away is always roughly “now do more!”

This holiday season I am thankful for this supportive community. I hope you all get to enjoy some (safe) time off.

MagneticNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #852 on: December 24, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »
After more than a year of lurking I’m throwing my hat in the ring for the 2022 cohort.
My date: Friday April 22, 2022
Age at retirement: 36

As much as I like the symmetry of the 2/22/22, my company’s yearly bonus lands in March and I have a stock vest in April, so I’ll settle for 2^2/22/22 instead.

Now, the hard part - figuring out what I want to retire to.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #853 on: December 25, 2020, 04:07:51 AM »
I just gotta say the last two posts by @MagneticNorth and @Gardencat are awesome.  I just love it when someone's first post on the forum is to declare their FIRE date.  You know those folks mean business.  Badass! 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:43:55 PM by Trifele »

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #854 on: December 25, 2020, 02:21:20 PM »
Thanks Trifele! Between my FIRE ambitions and a short stint a few years back as a homesteader I feel like I have a good handle on low-cost living.  And at this point I don’t buy much bc I already have so much.

One funny thing is I haven’t checked my main retirement balance since February’s high. First because I didn’t want to see it go down, but now because the balance may make me want to turn in my notice too soon. Anyway, in 2021 my goal is to add to my non-retirement stache to make my withdrawal strategy more flexible. As far as I know I’m technically FI.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #855 on: December 29, 2020, 09:57:55 AM »
I’m jumping from the 2021 cohort and into 2022.  Exact date in 2022 still being determined!  Need to work until at least end of February to collect my bonus and then give notice. 

I want to retire before November of that year as I will be 50 but not yet 51!  Has a nice ring to it :-)

So ready for this! 

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #856 on: December 31, 2020, 09:59:34 AM »
I posted this over in another "Race to" thread but seems like it applies here pretty specifically, having finished up the accounting for 2020 and looking at where I stand relative to my FIRE targets.  I'd like to hear what the rest of our esteemed cohort has been thinking this year. 

My spreadsheet has four FIRE levels defined:  Barebones, Lean, Comfortable, and Target (pretty fat).  These are obviously subjectively named, since truly barebones would be a much lower number than I'm using. I've passed the Barebones and Lean values and am closing in on my ''comfortable" number, which was already upwardly adjusted from what I projected 3 years ago when I started to actually think about this.   In fact, that originally projected number is now the one I use for 'barebones' LOL.  Guess that's human nature for ya.   My 'Comfortable' fire number is pretty much my average annual spend over the past 3 years plus full cost ACA silver health plan.  Once I hit that number, I will consider myself truly FI, though of course I could live quite well on what I've already saved.

If my YoY LNW stash increases by the same 18ish% in 2021 that it did this year, I'll be knocking on the door of my 'Comfortable' fire number with my 'Target' Fire number not far away from that.

Point being, I guess I'd better start getting serious about whether I'm going to actually 'retire' or maybe just change careers (financially risk free) or go part time (an outside chance of that being an option) or keep working a few more years to get really rich, or something else.  I had hoped and planned to start doing more outside 'fun' things this year and to expand my social circle - and I'd taken steps to do those things but then Spring happened and here I am sitting at my desk at home on the internet, wondering if 'retiring' would be good for me psychologically.  Of course, 2020 makes us all think a bit differently, I imagine.  I think I would be in pretty bad shape emotionally (and maybe physically) had I retired last year and found myself stuck at home with nothing to do.     

Sometimes I find myself thinking about coasting from here and starting to spend more on travelling and other experiences while I'm still banking coin from a job and just letting the stash do its thing without constantly feeding it from the contributions side.  This COVID experience probably has a lot of us (I should hope) reconsidering how long we are willing to postpone doing things we'd like to do. Planning to do those things only after I've hit some financial milestone and left the workforce seems shortsighted now.   

I need a year or two of non-COVID life to experiment with new activities and hobbies to see if retiring is the right thing for me.  Looks like (please, God) we are about to get through the COVID nightmare in the next few months and I'll have the chance to do that.

How about everyone else?  Have you been moving your target numbers like I have?  Do you feel like you will be mentally prepared to leave the working world in a couple of years? 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #857 on: January 02, 2021, 06:49:16 AM »
@TempusFugit, if your plan relies solely on your pile of money to feel resilient than you will likely never feel secure or ready to pull the chord.

There is an incredible value in developing other pillars to lean on outside of a larger portfolio. Besides your presumably specialized job skill, what else could you do to rely less on your dollar bills in the future?

Where do you fit into your community? Do you have close friends and a network of people to lean on if money couldn't solve a problem?

The future is unknown, we are also very bad at predicting what truly makes us happy. The only way is to try.

To answer your question, I have moved target numbers several times since discovering the concept of FIRE in 2012. However, unlike most, my numbers have been revised down greatly.

I did a test run of FIRE starting Sept 2019, and let me tell you.......the spending dropped so much when I wasn't working and had time to slow down and really decide if this is the best use of my traded life energy.

I'm not sure how old you are, but each passing year becomes a greater portion of your remaining healthy and active years. Are there things you would like to do and see while you have energy and youth on your side?

Do you really believe that you'll be incapable of earning a tiny bit of money or temporarily reducing spending through creative but non-sacrificial ways to reduce potential sequence of return risks?

If you own a home, simply renting out a room to a tenant (doesn't have to be a stranger) could offset 10-25% of your spending. Ditto for renting out the primary residence and doing a bit of geographical arbitrage.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #858 on: January 02, 2021, 02:42:58 PM »
Hi @2Birds1Stone.  I've seen some of your posts about your own FIRE (and now unFIREd) life.  I think it's great that you had the gumption to pull the plug and start living a new life. Your time overseas sounded like lots of fun.

My current thinking isn't really focused on money, per se, but rather that focusing on money is about to no longer be necessary and the recognition that I've got to start putting time and energy into building a life outside of work so that I have something to move onto next.  Right now, I can put off making that retirement decision because I haven't hit my target numbers, but I'm rapidly approaching those numbers and I'm about to find myself in the position of the proverbial dog who catches the car.  Now what?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who starts down the path of this thing called FIRE, with dreams about how fantastic it will be to no longer have the constraints of a regular job keeping me from doing whatever I want with my time, only to find as that possibility becomes more and more real that I have no idea what I would do with that time.  When it's all still "in a few years", it's easy to not focus on the specifics, to just hold onto vague ideas about a new hobby, or volunteering, or traveling, or finally having time to read all those books on the shelf, or to write that novel. 

Now that I recognize that the prerequisite to having that life - financial independence - is just a year or two away (probably), I am more struck by the importance of making some concrete moves now, so that I can prove to myself that I am really ready psychologically to leave the workforce and the positive things like structure, socialization, and sense of achievement that it provides. 

Some of my musings in the earlier post were about how 2020 has prevented me (and most of us, I assume) from doing the things I need to do toward that end.  Maybe it will give me the kick I need to really put more energy into it just as soon as we get past COVID.  In fact, I should be putting more energy into that than I put into my job, because that part of my life is nearing an end and I want to give the next part of my life the best chance of success I can. 

So, it isn't that I'm overly concerned about not saving enough money to survive, it's that I'm worried that my excuses for not moving on are about to run out so I had better start implementing other plans. 

Holocene

• Bristles
« Reply #859 on: January 02, 2021, 10:07:38 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who starts down the path of this thing called FIRE, with dreams about how fantastic it will be to no longer have the constraints of a regular job keeping me from doing whatever I want with my time, only to find as that possibility becomes more and more real that I have no idea what I would do with that time.  When it's all still "in a few years", it's easy to not focus on the specifics, to just hold onto vague ideas about a new hobby, or volunteering, or traveling, or finally having time to read all those books on the shelf, or to write that novel. 

Now that I recognize that the prerequisite to having that life - financial independence - is just a year or two away (probably), I am more struck by the importance of making some concrete moves now, so that I can prove to myself that I am really ready psychologically to leave the workforce and the positive things like structure, socialization, and sense of achievement that it provides. 

The bolded really hit home with me.  I started down this path in 2012-2013 with thoughts of potentially reaching FIRE in 10 years.  I've tracked my expenses every year, tracked my assets, saved my ass off, and gotten pretty lucky along the way.  A few years ago, I sort of tentatively targeted a date (spring 2022) where I thought I could reach my FIRE number ($925k).  After tracking my assets this month, I'm within spitting distance of my FIRE number, only around $25k short.  It has suddenly become extraordinarily real that this can actually happen.  That I could quit my job at 32 and never need to work again.  I've been able to convince myself that I'll be ok money-wise.  But emotionally/psychologically, I'm not quite there yet.  Despite this being my goal for ~8 years now, it's different now that it's actually here.

Like you, I've also only ever had vague plans.  Sleep more, read a lot, bike a lot, kayak, walk, enjoy nice days outside in the summer, see daylight in winter, travel, play music, volunteer.  I also wonder, is this enough?  I'm a pretty extreme introvert.  In the past I've gotten a large majority of my social needs met at work.  COVID has shown me what it's like when that mostly goes away.  And I do sort of miss it.  The thought of leaving my job is easy.  But the thought of no longer talking to many coworkers that I've spent years getting to know?  That makes me a little sad.  Some will continue as friendships outside of work, but most will probably not.  That's just the reality of it.

While working, I've always been too exhausted to really be able to commit to volunteering or joining group social activities.  I spend all of my extrovert energy at work and don't have any left.  So I think for me, I'm just going to need to take the leap.  A lot of people on the post-fire threads talk about needing several months to just decompress.  So I think I'll just let myself be free with no goals or ambitions for the summer in 2022.  I'm hoping by that fall, it'll be easier for me to spend some energy looking at volunteer opportunities, maybe joining some meet-ups that involve my hobbies, maybe make more of an effort to connect with friends and family more often.

So basically, I'm just gonna wing it.  While I do see there'd be great value in setting up these types of social foundations now, I don't see it as a necessity.  If I end up hating RE, I can always go back to work.  I'm young enough that I'm not too worried about job prospects by taking a year or two off.  I hate interviewing and have only had one job my entire professional life, so that may be off-putting enough to keep me FIREd haha.  So while I do need more time to mentally prepare for FIRE, I don't know that I'll ever truly be ready.  I'm just hoping when the time comes, I'm able to take that leap.  And hopefully posting here will help keep me accountable!

Good luck to you.  There are no easy answers on this and we're all different in our needs.  But at least you know someone else out there is floundering a bit about the non-monetary aspects of FIRE! :)

MagneticNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #860 on: January 03, 2021, 11:18:22 AM »
@Vapour I feel like I could have written your post. I'm in the same boat as you and @TempusFugit - the dog who caught the car is a nice way to put it.

I'm also quite introverted, which means I find work pretty socially exhausting and have limited energy on the weekends for things that require a lot of human interaction, but of course I do need it and will have to figure out my own social fulfillment in retirement. I have friends that I see on the weekends, but they all work full-time so I'm not anticipating that I'll get to spend lot more time with them than I currently do.

I also get a lot of intellectual fulfillment from my job, and I'm hoping to find some external motivation to keep learning and discussing ideas with other smart people, but haven't figured out a good plan for that yet, either.

And in both cases, as Vapour said above, it seems tough to find/build the social supports ahead of time, when I'm already nearly maxing out my socialization-energy at work.

Does anyone know of good resources for people blogging or writing about their first couple years of FIRE? At this point there've been thousands of us who have worked at building a fulfilling life after work. I'd love to see what other people had planned when they started retirement, and what they learned about it during the early years.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #861 on: January 03, 2021, 01:27:23 PM »
There are lots of variables that make it different for different people.  You're correct @Vapour that at a young age, you will have plenty of time to rejoin the workforce if RE isn't all that you expect or hope.  I'm more middle aged, so on the one hand, my risks of running out of money are lower, since I have statistically fewer years to spend down the stash, but on the other hand, once I pull the trigger on RE, I will have few options of rejoining the worker herd at my age and in my field.  It's sort of a one way valve. I'm also geographically locked for the time being, due to an elderly parent who lives in my area with no other siblings nearby to help out.

Point being that I don't really think I'll have the chance to 'undo' if I find out that I've misjudged what retirement will look like.  At least, that's how it feels.  I certainly don't think I will RE if I don't have more definite plans than I do now.

Like you and @MagneticNorth, I consider myself rather introverted, but the COVID situation has definitely been illuminating about the limits of my introversion.   In some ways, I suppose, if you squint really hard, maybe a silver lining on this COVID crap is that it is showing many of us what it will be like, in some small way, to no longer be part of a work community, losing that aspect of our social lives.   

I think the reality is that many / most people have these dreams about the stuff they will do if... <insert whatever here>. The obstacles might be financial, might be relationship related, might be when kids go off to college, whatever.  How many people still never do that thing they fantasized about?  Or how many try it only to discover that it isn't nearly as romantic as they envisioned?

Most of this anxiety is just plain fear of the unknown.  My goal over the next year or two is to start investigating that area of the map that isn't filled in yet, so when I cast off I have a better idea of what's out there. 

I also plan to work on being more thankful for being in the position that one of my biggest worries is how to spend my time when I'm so rich that I don't ever have to work again : )

Holocene

• Bristles
« Reply #862 on: January 03, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
There are lots of variables that make it different for different people.  You're correct @Vapour that at a young age, you will have plenty of time to rejoin the workforce if RE isn't all that you expect or hope.  I'm more middle aged, so on the one hand, my risks of running out of money are lower, since I have statistically fewer years to spend down the stash, but on the other hand, once I pull the trigger on RE, I will have few options of rejoining the worker herd at my age and in my field.  It's sort of a one way valve. I'm also geographically locked for the time being, due to an elderly parent who lives in my area with no other siblings nearby to help out.

Point being that I don't really think I'll have the chance to 'undo' if I find out that I've misjudged what retirement will look like.  At least, that's how it feels.  I certainly don't think I will RE if I don't have more definite plans than I do now.
Yeah, everyone's situation and needs are different.  What works for me might not work for you.  But I wanted to at least share a perspective of maybe not necessarily needing to have everything figured out before you pull the trigger.  I do understand that this may not work for you.

You may not be able to "undo" your retirement.  But if you're just worried about the social aspect of your job, I have to imagine you can find some other way to meet those needs even if you can't go back to your same role.  Maybe volunteering, a part time job in a different field, meetups, etc.  If you really like the actual work you do in your field or specific culture at this company or the team that you work with, then I could see it being harder to decide to RE.  I would try to analyze what it is you get out of work that you're most worried about getting once retired.  Is it socialization? Intellectual stimulation? Community? A sense of purpose?  All of the above and more?  Once you understand what it is you're worried about losing, maybe you can better target ways to fill these needs outside of your current job.  Or maybe you decide you like enough things about your job that you want to keep working.  Maybe you could consider part-time at your current job (I understand this is often not possible) or taking a sabbatical if possible to try things out before making it permanent.

I definitely understand the fear of the unknown.  Change is really hard for me.  I like routine.  No matter what, quitting your job is going to be a huge adjustment.  I'm just having faith that future retired me will do what is necessary to live a happy and fulfilled life.  And while I'm pretty content now, I'm definitely happiest when I'm off doing things outside of work.  They can be simple things like taking a long all-day bike ride or kayaking on a nice day or reading on my deck or learning to play a new song on guitar.  I don't know if this will keep me fulfilled for the rest of my life.  But I don't think my job will either.  And I don't really think I can plan right now for what will.  I will keep an open mind.  And I'll have an extra 40+ hours a week to devote to figuring this shit out.  It is scary.  Maybe when the time comes, I'll be singing a different tune.  I do need to spend more time now mentally preparing myself for this major life change.  To pivot from this being some idea out in the future to my actual life now.

Again, this is just my perspective on things.  Not trying to imply that you're wrong for wanting more concrete plans.  But I'd definitely focus on figuring those out so you do feel comfortable to retire (if you want) when you're financially ready.

@MagneticNorth Thanks for sharing your perspective as well.  Always good to see you're not alone in things.  There are tons of FIRE blogs out there, but I don't know if any specifically address what you're looking for.  I've always read them in the past for the financial information.  Now that I've got that part covered, I agree that it'd be useful to read about other people's experiences regarding plans for a fulfilling retirement vs. actual experiences once retired and lessons learned.  Maybe check out some of the earlier FIRE cohort threads or poke around the "Post-FIRE" subforum here or even post a question there.  If you find anything good let us know!

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #863 on: January 04, 2021, 01:51:10 PM »
I’ve been thinking a lot about what I’d like to spend time on. For socializing I’d like to join a road-biking team - I did a stint of group riding on a 3 week trip to italy and I really enjoyed it - and I was surprisingly good at it. I’d also be keen to pick up teaching a class at the local community college if I can.

Right now I go to bed at 9 so I can work east coast hours so I’m looking forward to getting on local time and staying up late enough to hear live music (post-COVID). I just ordered some nice binoculars for bird watching and some drawing supplies. From my house I can walk various trails into the wilderness for as far/long as I like, it’s great!

On a more practical note I’m catching up on various preventive health measures and screenings. Am healthy (so far, yay!) but if it turned out I actually have some sort of condition I want to get it treated while I’m still employed. It’s rather stressful to go thru all that poking and prodding.

Ironically, my spouse is not working - but is now looking for work so he can spend more money on his expensive hobby. So it is possible spouse will be working when I am ready to quit. If so, it is possible that I may work part time or leave him at home and do a Travels with Charlie type adventure (except with my cat). I told him if he gets a full time job he’ll be responsible for both of us getting health insurance.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #864 on: January 04, 2021, 06:05:55 PM »
Travels with Charlie is so good that i almost forgave Steinbeck for Grapes of Wrath. But no, i still hate him for writing that one. 

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #865 on: January 08, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »
Counting holidays and PTO,  I only have between 373 and 419 workdays left (depending on how much PTO I want to get paid for when I quit).

I am eligible for my pension as of last week, but am trying to hold on until the end of 2022 for healthcare benefits and more financial security for my family and myself.  There is also the possibility of a promotion when another co-worker retires sometime in the next year.

I am tired of this job and have so many other interests I'd like to pursue, but I just need to hold on a little bit longer.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #866 on: January 08, 2021, 07:11:31 PM »
Counting holidays and PTO,  I only have between 373 and 419 workdays left (depending on how much PTO I want to get paid for when I quit).

I am eligible for my pension as of last week, but am trying to hold on until the end of 2022 for healthcare benefits and more financial security for my family and myself.  There is also the possibility of a promotion when another co-worker retires sometime in the next year.

I am tired of this job and have so many other interests I'd like to pursue, but I just need to hold on a little bit longer.

At least you aren't counting down the hours : )   

re: the possible promotion, would that make you stay longer or just make your remaining time more profitable or enjoyable?

I would like to get one more promotion before I retire for ego purposes, mostly I think.  The additional responsibility I think such a promotion would entail is a real counter-argument for it. I don't want to find myself enjoying work less that I already do just for a brief vanity glow and a few thousand dollars.   I'm kind of in the 'wanting less responsibility' phase.  But who am I kidding, I'd take it if it was offered. Damned ego! 

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #867 on: January 08, 2021, 07:34:47 PM »

re: the possible promotion, would that make you stay longer or just make your remaining time more profitable or enjoyable?

I would like to get one more promotion before I retire for ego purposes, mostly I think.  The additional responsibility I think such a promotion would entail is a real counter-argument for it. I don't want to find myself enjoying work less that I already do just for a brief vanity glow and a few thousand dollars.   I'm kind of in the 'wanting less responsibility' phase.  But who am I kidding, I'd take it if it was offered. Damned ego!
I understand this situation. I am in a similar spot.

But if promoted, I would need to work a few more years to take full advantage of the increased salary and benefits.

How do you know when it is time to start to throttle down?Work and a less manic pace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #868 on: January 08, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »

How do you know when it is time to start to throttle down?Work and a less manic pace.

DH is working on this transition now. First step: track actual hours because he doesn't believe me when I tell him he regularly works 60+ hours. Only 48 so far this week and he feels like he has had tons of free time...

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #869 on: January 09, 2021, 08:12:38 AM »

Right now I don't think the promotion would make me want to stay longer, but life and 2020 has taught me that nothing is ever set in stone.  I've been the backup for the current person in the role for almost 2 decades.  I'd like the extra money and part of me would finally like the chance to implement some of my ideas.  I'll definitely go for it because it would mean I'm the head of our section and I don't want to train someone else who will get to determine my work responsibilities.  But I have a creative side business I'd really like to focus my energies on and the issues I deal with in the current job are draining.

So my goal is to make it until the end of 2022, but I'm basically playing it by ear for the foreseeable future.  My main reasons for staying are a new house with a new spouse, a child pursuing post-grad studies and better retiree health if I stay longer.

Edited to add: I am also wanting to have less responsibility and that is part of the reason I am ho hum on the possible promotion.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:20:02 AM by BFGirl »

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #870 on: January 09, 2021, 08:22:59 AM »

I understand this situation. I am in a similar spot.

But if promoted, I would need to work a few more years to take full advantage of the increased salary and benefits.

I wish I knew when to throttle down.  Since my co-worker is planning on retiring soon, she is starting to "delegate" more so that she can throttle down which means more work for the rest of us.

Edited to add: I am trying to get out of my negativity.  My immediate supervisor drives me a bit crazy, but our overall boss is wonderful and amazing.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 08:27:17 AM by BFGirl »

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #871 on: January 09, 2021, 12:35:42 PM »
There is no promotion on the horizon for me, I’m as far as I will get.
I’m trying to take it easy at work, and the WFH situation helps with that. OTOH I don’t want to let my team down. Also, the fact that I just don’t want to have a boss anymore is clearly my own issue to deal with and not my boss’s. My goal is to spruce up my attitude some for this last full year - I’m not trying to knock anyone’s socks off but also don’t want my colleagues to be glad to see me go. It is a delicate balance!

I burned a day of sick leave on Friday (I was legit in pain and exhausted) and though I’m FI I still felt guilty. Gah, that Protestant work ethic can be a killer. I used some of the time to check my retirement account balance and I’m on track, likely to exceed my target before I reach my quit date.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #872 on: January 18, 2021, 07:30:44 AM »
Committing to June 1, 2022

This will be the second attempt at FIRE, since the first was thwarted by Covid-19. The rationale behind this date is growing income back to six figure levels by end of 2021, and then maxing out 0% tax space and retirement account space for 2022, additionally it would take attention away from a 1 year work gap in 2020. DW and I are going to be pretty austerely leanFIRE'd, but that's what keeps life interesting.

There is a small but very real chance that poor work conditions/economy forces one of both of us in OLY.

Looking forward to commiserating with y'all.

CapLimited

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #873 on: January 18, 2021, 12:08:13 PM »
I'm jumping into the 2022 cohort.  I'm a Fed, and for years I have dithered about whether to get out at my minimum retirement age (MRA) or stick it out for 20 years.  I'm planning to do a postponed retirement -- if I work 20 years, I could start taking my full pension at 60, but if I go at MRA, I have to wait until 62 for the full pension (I can take a pension earlier, but it will be reduced).  It's tempting to go even earlier, but if I stay until  MRA, I am eligible to rejoin the Federal Employee Health Benefits plan when I take my pension.  But here's the thing -- my goal was for DH and I to have $1 million in retirement accounts by the time we retired, but we have already blown past that.  DH is also a Fed and is past 62 so he can already collect his full pension.  I can go on his Federal health benefits until I can take my own.  So between his pension and the retirement savings, we have enough for what we want to do.  Therefore, I'm out at MRA, which would be June 2022.

Our plan for July 2022 is to head to France for three months.  We are planning to move there eventually, so this first long trip will be a trial run to see if the French city we have tentatively decided on is where we really want to be long-term.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #874 on: January 25, 2021, 07:26:26 AM »

This is me right now.  I have a bit fewer days (270) but I'm just holding on.  Good luck- I hope you get the promotion in order to speed up your timeline a bit.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #875 on: January 25, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »
I'm jumping into the 2022 cohort.  I'm a Fed, and for years I have dithered about whether to get out at my minimum retirement age (MRA) or stick it out for 20 years.  I'm planning to do a postponed retirement -- if I work 20 years, I could start taking my full pension at 60, but if I go at MRA, I have to wait until 62 for the full pension (I can take a pension earlier, but it will be reduced).  It's tempting to go even earlier, but if I stay until  MRA, I am eligible to rejoin the Federal Employee Health Benefits plan when I take my pension.  But here's the thing -- my goal was for DH and I to have $1 million in retirement accounts by the time we retired, but we have already blown past that.  DH is also a Fed and is past 62 so he can already collect his full pension.  I can go on his Federal health benefits until I can take my own.  So between his pension and the retirement savings, we have enough for what we want to do.  Therefore, I'm out at MRA, which would be June 2022.

Being a fed is great, until you realize you have to work forEVER in order to retire with full benefits!  I'm in a similar situation.  I won't be staying til MRA... only til I have 20 years in and am 50+.  Then defer pension til I'm 60.  It leaves me without health benefits, but I don't want to stay an extra 10 years!  Thus, my date is Dec 2022.

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #876 on: January 25, 2021, 04:47:17 PM »
I’m on my third pension (same employer) which now is just money it tosses to my 401k. It’s nice because it’s real money, and not a pension with work-length restrictions.

I’m writing the # of weeks left on my home office calendar. This week is 58. My older sister just retired at 64, I’m quite a bit younger and she’d probably think I’m crazy if I told her how soon I plan to cash in my chips. But when we are both free she’d be fun to travel with.

My spouse has told all his relatives I’m retiring next year but I haven’t said anything to my own family. Another sister and BIL are professional financial planners so that’s gonna be weird (also they handle first sister’s money!).

Today I almost got in trouble for missing a zoom meeting till I explained... I wasn’t on the invite list. I’m not sad I missed it!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #877 on: January 27, 2021, 06:10:08 AM »
Hi folks.  I want to say thanks to all of you on this thread.  It's so nice to have a place to see people on the same trajectory as I am.  I was thinking about you all yesterday.  I was really down at work. It was the usual, execs directing me to fix a problem that wasn't the actual problem and do it without people or money.  Oh and do it the way we say, not how you, the paid expert recommend it be done.

I just kept thinking, 'thank goodness for my MMM people who make fun of this stuff all the time".  Y'all get me through some days.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #878 on: January 27, 2021, 07:08:36 AM »
Hi folks.  I want to say thanks to all of you on this thread.  It's so nice to have a place to see people on the same trajectory as I am.  I was thinking about you all yesterday.  I was really down at work. It was the usual, execs directing me to fix a problem that wasn't the actual problem and do it without people or money.  Oh and do it the way we say, not how you, the paid expert recommend it be done.

I just kept thinking, 'thank goodness for my MMM people who make fun of this stuff all the time".  Y'all get me through some days.

I can relate.  My daughter was visiting me in my home office the other day and asked why I wrote on my note pad on my desk “THIS is why I’m retiring!”

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #879 on: February 02, 2021, 08:41:24 PM »
Anyone else working on countdown projects?

-We have a few boat projects planned so that it is ready to move aboard when we want. The DIY is dragging on due to supply chain issues. I don't know what the paid project's excuse is. He told us a week ago that he was ready to move forward weather permitting, but there hasn't been any weather or progress this week. I hate having to depend on others for technical stuff, and we need this finished to move on to the next step.

-We will be getting new glasses towards the end of the year to make the most of an excellent vision plan.

-DH is getting braces. He has a permanently installed retainer that isn't doing its job anymore. The dental insurance will cover a chunk of it, but dang I am glad we caught this while we could get some help.

-I have some health and fitness goals that I have not been working towards for nearly a month, but have been at least nodding at over the last week.

-I mostly think I am ready for handling finances without a paycheck, but then I start reading some people's ideas and think mine are overly simplistic. Then I remember how much I like things simple and that we have built in a couple of buffers. Plus, we are reasonably intelligent people, so we can make adjustments.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #880 on: February 03, 2021, 01:11:02 AM »
Anyone else working on countdown projects?

-We have a few boat projects planned so that it is ready to move aboard when we want. The DIY is dragging on due to supply chain issues. I don't know what the paid project's excuse is. He told us a week ago that he was ready to move forward weather permitting, but there hasn't been any weather or progress this week. I hate having to depend on others for technical stuff, and we need this finished to move on to the next step.

-We will be getting new glasses towards the end of the year to make the most of an excellent vision plan.

-DH is getting braces. He has a permanently installed retainer that isn't doing its job anymore. The dental insurance will cover a chunk of it, but dang I am glad we caught this while we could get some help.

-I have some health and fitness goals that I have not been working towards for nearly a month, but have been at least nodding at over the last week.

-I mostly think I am ready for handling finances without a paycheck, but then I start reading some people's ideas and think mine are overly simplistic. Then I remember how much I like things simple and that we have built in a couple of buffers. Plus, we are reasonably intelligent people, so we can make adjustments.

What kind of boat? Sounds like a wonderful retirement plan.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #881 on: February 03, 2021, 03:46:00 AM »
@2Birds1Stone , it is a 40' sailboat (Pearson 39). We lived aboard for 4 years until DH got sick of traffic and we moved to a place that let him bike to work. We are looking forward to moving back, but have been grateful for the extra space during lockdown.

SuperSecretName

• Bristles
« Reply #882 on: February 04, 2021, 09:06:10 AM »
I think I've decided on a date.  I could possibly exit in 2021, but I expect my income to be high this year and that would mess up ACA stuff.  My boss is retiring in August, and so I want to be able to help with that transition for the team.  If I would leave also around the same time, it'd be pretty disruptive to operations.  I have no ill-will towards them, and things are just lining up better for 2022.  Also no point in retiring now with the world still shut down.

4/29/2022, here I come!  I'll be 40.  Retiring at 40 has a nice ring to it.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #883 on: February 04, 2021, 09:50:25 AM »
2022 cohorts, it's been great, but I'm leaving you.  You made me think it was possible when it was so far away from what I had expected. 

I just gave notice yesterday and I have 29 days left.  I'm sorry I couldn't stick it out with you until 2022.  My work actually started to get fun lately.  But like an abusive relationship, I know the fun's just temporary and it will go back to sucking soon.  So I'm breaking away! 

I'll probably start getting very nervous in the next month, so I'll be around...

Good luck to all and thank you 2022 cohorts!!!  (Now I need to introduce myself to 2021 cohorts or to the FIRE group)  (never thought I'd get there)

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #884 on: February 04, 2021, 10:10:37 AM »
2022 cohorts, it's been great, but I'm leaving you.  You made me think it was possible when it was so far away from what I had expected. 

I just gave notice yesterday and I have 29 days left.  I'm sorry I couldn't stick it out with you until 2022.  My work actually started to get fun lately.  But like an abusive relationship, I know the fun's just temporary and it will go back to sucking soon.  So I'm breaking away! 

I'll probably start getting very nervous in the next month, so I'll be around...

Good luck to all and thank you 2022 cohorts!!!  (Now I need to introduce myself to 2021 cohorts or to the FIRE group)  (never thought I'd get there)

Very nice!   I was hoping you weren't going to say you are pushing the date out beyond 2022.  How did you suddenly come to this decision?  Was there some event or incentive driving the specific timing?

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #885 on: February 04, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »
@Vapour I feel like I could have written your post. I'm in the same boat as you and @TempusFugit - the dog who caught the car is a nice way to put it.

I'm also quite introverted, which means I find work pretty socially exhausting and have limited energy on the weekends for things that require a lot of human interaction, but of course I do need it and will have to figure out my own social fulfillment in retirement. I have friends that I see on the weekends, but they all work full-time so I'm not anticipating that I'll get to spend lot more time with them than I currently do.

I also get a lot of intellectual fulfillment from my job, and I'm hoping to find some external motivation to keep learning and discussing ideas with other smart people, but haven't figured out a good plan for that yet, either.

And in both cases, as Vapour said above, it seems tough to find/build the social supports ahead of time, when I'm already nearly maxing out my socialization-energy at work.

Does anyone know of good resources for people blogging or writing about their first couple years of FIRE? At this point there've been thousands of us who have worked at building a fulfilling life after work. I'd love to see what other people had planned when they started retirement, and what they learned about it during the early years.

in Tim Ferriss's "4 hour work week" there is a section called "filling the void" designed to help you figure out what to do with all of your time after creating a hands off business. i am sure you can find it at the library or on his blog.

after skimming the section again, there are lot questions for reflection and some recommendations on doing nothing for a time

mtnrider

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #886 on: February 04, 2021, 06:38:31 PM »
I think 2022 will be my year. 

Well, I might not leave entirely, but I'm going to take 6 months off to see how things go.  And when I come back, I'll only work (for pay, or not) at things I like to do.  Let's call it FIRE-lite?

I see that this thread goes back to 2015.  I wonder if some of those folks are still on this track?

Zinsch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #887 on: February 04, 2021, 10:23:26 PM »
Asauer has been posting in here since the start in 2015.

I found some others on page 1, who are still active in the forum, but don't think have posted in this thread recently: Clean Shaven, Gray Matter, marty998, RWD, nereo, and FIreDrill. Most of them appear to have a very healthy net worth right now. Not sure if they already retired or still plan to retire soon.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #888 on: February 05, 2021, 01:15:34 AM »
I joined on page 2 and am on track for 2022, but giving more thought to the date, season (Covid) and tax so likely to move my date within 2022.

Didn't think it was possible back in 2015 but it's looking good now. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #889 on: February 05, 2021, 08:15:26 AM »

I found some others on page 1, who are still active in the forum, but don't think have posted in this thread recently: Clean Shaven, Gray Matter, marty998, RWD, nereo, and FIreDrill. Most of them appear to have a very healthy net worth right now. Not sure if they already retired or still plan to retire soon.

I am ahead of my original schedule for invested assets. Based on our current expenses and 4% SWR I could probably even pull the trigger now. But that gives me less wiggle room than I would like and I haven't done any estimates of health care yet. There is also the unknown of whether the stock market will cooperate for the next few years. Assuming I am still not hating my job I am thinking of leaving mid-2024 to get a couple extra years of buffer. But I haven't written off the 2022 target entirely yet.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #890 on: February 05, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »

I am ahead of my original schedule for invested assets. Based on our current expenses and 4% SWR I could probably even pull the trigger now. But that gives me less wiggle room than I would like and I haven't done any estimates of health care yet. There is also the unknown of whether the stock market will cooperate for the next few years. Assuming I am still not hating my job I am thinking of leaving mid-2024 to get a couple extra years of buffer. But I haven't written off the 2022 target entirely yet.

I'm in a similar boat. I'm projecting to hit my number in 2021 even but I'm actually planning on working a bit for a few reasons.

I still enjoy some aspects of work and structured environments.

Maybe it's OMY or hesitancy or whatever but a bit more than my goal leans a bit more conservative and the more I read about markets lends me to be more conservative. To put this in perspective I've actually been an advocate of 5% SWR with added RE income serving as a buffer. So my "conservative" is different than others "conservative".

So I'll stick with 2022 and see how it goes from there.

Gardencat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #891 on: February 05, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »
I’m taking a long weekend holiday because I found out from HR that I have about 3 weeks of leave that I will lose if I don’t take it this year. It is often hard for me to schedule leave because there are always lots of assignments coming up with my name on them. But I’m in a nice bit of a lull now.

And the lull is partly because I’m flexing my FU money (finally, at this late stage!). For a March project I need info from an outside company that I think I’m actually not going to be able to get. Rather than sit around waiting on these folks, I told my boss I’m putting that project aside and moving on to work on other things. He wanted me to agree to do the original assignment but somehow work around the missing key info and I just said, no, I’m not interested in doing that. I’ll do this other project instead. Due date TBD. Meanwhile I’m taking off some days.

I think that for this last year it should be possible to, with a combo of overt and covert maneuvers, avoid agreeing to do assignments that will cause me a higher than average amount of stress. Basically instead of defaulting to “yes” I’ll just say “maybe, but only if x” or just, no. My title has the word “senior” in it, and I feel that’s what senior means to me - the power to say no to sh*tty projects.

I know my boss considers me easy to work with, so it would take a long string of refusals before he’d feel like he needed to do something. By then, I’ll be making plans to leave. It’s hard, as a people pleaser, for me to put up this kind of defense!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #892 on: February 05, 2021, 05:27:34 PM »

If you @ them in the message they will get pinged ;)

Example: @Clean Shaven @Gray Matter @marty998 @RWD @nereo @FIreDrill
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 05:39:13 PM by TomTX »

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #893 on: February 05, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »
I think that for this last year it should be possible to, with a combo of overt and covert maneuvers, avoid agreeing to do assignments that will cause me a higher than average amount of stress. Basically instead of defaulting to “yes” I’ll just say “maybe, but only if x” or just, no. My title has the word “senior” in it, and I feel that’s what senior means to me - the power to say no to sh*tty projects.

Exactly right @Gardencat

I know my boss considers me easy to work with, so it would take a long string of refusals before he’d feel like he needed to do something. By then, I’ll be making plans to leave. It’s hard, as a people pleaser, for me to put up this kind of defense!
[/quote]

I need to use this in a couple years. This is ME!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #894 on: February 07, 2021, 01:44:20 PM »
I skipped out early in 2019, but that means DH is going to have to work until at least 2023. Except....the market went crazy good last year, so we're actually at a number we didn't think we'd hit until 2023 already.  I'm sticking in this thread because I haven't decided if I want to work OMY myself to get into 2022 for both of us securely.  Life is so much easier when there's one spouse at home when you have kids.  BUT, the $ of two working partners is NICE.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #895 on: February 08, 2021, 09:07:23 AM »

Yep, I've been around a while.  Still planning to FIRE in Feb 2022 though, depending on some work stuff, that may switch to Aug 2021 (not very likely though).

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #896 on: February 08, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
Welp.

Our plan was for me to retire, and my wife to work for a bunch more years for the health insurance benefit. Now, she may end up not able to work at least until a vaccine is available, so I will probably keep working until I get laid off. If that happens, and comes with a decent package (accelerated vesting, severance), it could be earlier than 2022. If it doesn't happen, maybe I'll hold out for another year.

Based on a link in this thread, I've been putting most of my new money into bond funds for a while, and have a decent bond allocation, designed to at least cushion the fall from a crash like this one. I sold a bunch of stock funds a couple of weeks ago, and moved some immediately into a bond fund just before the interest rates really cratered. I bought a small stake in SDY on Thursday near market close, and may do more of that as the market continues to fall.

We are also looking to sell our house, and it's an intriguing idea to put some of that money back into the market instead of rolling it all over into different real estate. We had just about decided to try to do it this year, but the pandemic is going to delay things. We've got some significant fixups to do, so we'll probably start on that when we can, and hopefully not at the usual gouging prices for our area. We may pick up (a) vacation/country/potential rental home(s) at depressed prices, depending on how the market does.

I'll be 57 in 2022, thanks @rachaelandthegoose

Wellrespectedman - did you plow that house money into the market?  This post was right at the bottom.

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #897 on: February 08, 2021, 07:17:55 PM »
Welp.

Our plan was for me to retire, and my wife to work for a bunch more years for the health insurance benefit. Now, she may end up not able to work at least until a vaccine is available, so I will probably keep working until I get laid off. If that happens, and comes with a decent package (accelerated vesting, severance), it could be earlier than 2022. If it doesn't happen, maybe I'll hold out for another year.

Based on a link in this thread, I've been putting most of my new money into bond funds for a while, and have a decent bond allocation, designed to at least cushion the fall from a crash like this one. I sold a bunch of stock funds a couple of weeks ago, and moved some immediately into a bond fund just before the interest rates really cratered. I bought a small stake in SDY on Thursday near market close, and may do more of that as the market continues to fall.

We are also looking to sell our house, and it's an intriguing idea to put some of that money back into the market instead of rolling it all over into different real estate. We had just about decided to try to do it this year, but the pandemic is going to delay things. We've got some significant fixups to do, so we'll probably start on that when we can, and hopefully not at the usual gouging prices for our area. We may pick up (a) vacation/country/potential rental home(s) at depressed prices, depending on how the market does.

Wellrespectedman - did you plow that house money into the market?  This post was right at the bottom.

The housing market in the rural areas went up quite a bit, so no chance to pick up a vacation home at bargain rates. We have done a lot of fixups (more were added since that post -- holes in floors, ceilings, and walls), but still had some more to go. We just recently got an offer for a private sale at our asking price minus 5%, representing a realtor's potential commission, and as-is.

As for the proceeds, I've earmarked enough to buy a home in the woods, and have a plan to put the rest into the market at our current allocation over a period of about 6 months or so. We're also moving to a smallish 2-bedroom apartment in the city in a great location. When my wife decides to retire, we may make a move to the woods, or some other more bustling location, but in a lower COL area.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #898 on: February 09, 2021, 04:07:00 AM »
Welp.

The housing market in the rural areas went up quite a bit, so no chance to pick up a vacation home at bargain rates. We have done a lot of fixups (more were added since that post -- holes in floors, ceilings, and walls), but still had some more to go. We just recently got an offer for a private sale at our asking price minus 5%, representing a realtor's potential commission, and as-is.

As for the proceeds, I've earmarked enough to buy a home in the woods, and have a plan to put the rest into the market at our current allocation over a period of about 6 months or so. We're also moving to a smallish 2-bedroom apartment in the city in a great location. When my wife decides to retire, we may make a move to the woods, or some other more bustling location, but in a lower COL area.

That’s exciting.  I’ve got something similar in mind but the timing is uncertain with regard to selling the house because we’ve got two college kids at home and I want to get them launched over the next 2-3 years.  What city is the apartment?  What areas are you considering for your later move?

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #899 on: February 09, 2021, 05:29:31 AM »
That’s exciting.  I’ve got something similar in mind but the timing is uncertain with regard to selling the house because we’ve got two college kids at home and I want to get them launched over the next 2-3 years.  What city is the apartment?  What areas are you considering for your later move?

We're in the Boston area currently, and the default location for moving would be a smaller New England city, such as Manchester or Concord, NH, Portland, ME, or similar, but a lot will depend on where our kids end up. At the moment, they seem to be focused on Boston, so we're moving along the default path.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!