Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 101985 times)

londonbanker

• Stubble
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #500 on: February 11, 2019, 04:29:43 PM »
We just passed the £2m NW mark at the end of Jan, and we’re currently stashing £300-325k of NW a year (through savings, dividends and mortgage repayment). So we are well on our way to retire in 2022 - target a slightly optimistic date of 2/22/2022.

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: March 17, 2019, 01:19:51 AM »
Can I have a seat at the "cool table"?

A Firecalc median return has me at just over my goal for a 4% SWR at the end of 2022 with my preferred AA.  A Monte Carlo is giving me a median a little under that.  Caveat, I may decide to go a bit early with part time work.  I'm 39 and will turn 46 in 2022.

My original post in this thread, almost exactly three years ago. 

This has turned out to be a preferred option for me, the caveat has become a reality.  I'm finalizing my plan for semi-RE later this year.  I just don't want be counted as a lost drop out, this stuff works.  Good luck pushing onward to 2022!

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #502 on: March 18, 2019, 09:02:23 AM »

This has turned out to be a preferred option for me, the caveat has become a reality.  I'm finalizing my plan for semi-RE later this year.  I just don't want be counted as a lost drop out, this stuff works.  Good luck pushing onward to 2022!

Wow, that's quite an upgrade! Congratulations and good luck!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #503 on: March 18, 2019, 12:24:26 PM »
I declined to return from a personal leave of absence today, so we are determining my official last day. I have not officially FIREd. I consider myself on a “smoke break”. I’ll let the FI smolder and see if it turns into a real FIRE. We hit $1.65 mil briefly this month, but with college costs and me not working it will go down. I will revaluate after Summer. :-)

Playing with Fire UK

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: March 19, 2019, 05:43:22 AM »
Congrats @couponvan - Happy Smoke Break!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #505 on: March 20, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
Congrats @couponvan - Happy Smoke Break!

Thank you - 3/29/19 is my smoke break date....3/2/1....GO!  We are also buying a house which we can qualify for on just DH's income alone.

Need2Save

• Stubble
« Reply #506 on: March 20, 2019, 07:17:43 PM »
Some of the other cohort threads seem to be more active than ours. I'm sure we will hit our stride soon.

But.....exciting news for @couponvan and @Classical_Liberal! So nice to see positive updates from you both.

We met with our attorney recently to udate our wills, POA, etc. and had to compile a NW summary. We don't usually add everything up in one place because we don't include our home equity, college savings, and some of our other assets in our FIRE calculations.  I had to make sure the Mr. was not going to quit the next day. He's had it very stressful at work lately. But our 3 year exit plan is on very sound footing and we have many fall-backs including the equity in our home which we are going to be selling at some point.

Classical_Liberal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: March 21, 2019, 02:07:22 AM »
Thanks folks!  A big congrats to Couponvan for the "smoke break".  Love the term!

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #508 on: March 21, 2019, 07:20:49 AM »

We met with our attorney recently to udate our wills, POA, etc. and had to compile a NW summary. We don't usually add everything up in one place because we don't include our home equity, college savings, and some of our other assets in our FIRE calculations.  I had to make sure the Mr. was not going to quit the next day. He's had it very stressful at work lately. But our 3 year exit plan is on very sound footing and we have many fall-backs including the equity in our home which we are going to be selling at some point.

In theory the 3 year plan should make things easier to deal with, but I haven't felt that just yet. Instead I feel like I'm in a race to get there before my job either goes away or gets to a bad point. I actually feel that more now than when I had much less. Fortunately I'm liking my job right now, but the prospect of getting through three years if things go south seems daunting. I suspect I will feel a lot more comfortable when I get to the point where I no longer depend on THIS particular job still existing and being palatable. Maybe after another year or so.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: March 21, 2019, 07:32:05 AM »
I declined to return from a personal leave of absence today, so we are determining my official last day. I have not officially FIREd. I consider myself on a “smoke break”. I’ll let the FI smolder and see if it turns into a real FIRE. We hit $1.65 mil briefly this month, but with college costs and me not working it will go down. I will revaluate after Summer. :-)

Just stopping by from the 2019 Cohort to say congratulations @couponvan!  If your 'smoke break' (love it) turns permanent, feel free to come on over.  We'll greet you at the door with a beer and post up your announcement.   We recently had someone from the 2023 group join.