Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 86608 times)

TempusFugit

• Stubble
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #450 on: July 01, 2018, 09:03:14 AM »
I'm joining this group and it shouldn't be a problem to make 2022 as I was initially aiming for 2020. I'm still aiming for a 5% WR with hopefully a year or two expenses saved up in cash/paid leave.

Steveo, will you consider those cash reserves in your 5% WR calculation?   

FIreDrill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #451 on: July 01, 2018, 10:45:35 AM »
Looks like we will most likely be delaying our FI date.  Changed up our lives a bit and moved to an HCOL area that we absolutely love.  But, our savings is taking a major hit.  Income potential is much better down here so hopefully we get back to a decent savings rate.  I'm thinking our new date may be 2025 but we really won't know until things have settled down and we have been here a year or so.

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: July 02, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »
I'm getting ready to start a new job. It pays about 30% more than my current one, and I think it should be pretty interesting too. If all goes well, this could be my last new job. I have big plans for this position, and it would be very satisfying to have one last good push before walking away from it all. It's hard to describe just how fortunate I've been to get to this point.

I'm not quite close enough to the end that I can visualize it yet, but I feel like I'm not too far away from that point. I think someone on this thread mentioned that getting to 2022 from here is sort of like making it through high school. So, I think that makes this my freshman year coming up. Now I just need to make sure I don't get fired from high school . . .

Accidental Miser

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: July 10, 2018, 06:57:10 AM »
Hi!

Well, DW and I have finally settled on a RE date of 4-1-2022.  We settled on 2022 some time ago since we both turn 55 in late 22.  My work FY starts in October so I値l get half a bonus for FY22 if I work until April 1.  Also, I値l have a bunch of vacation time built up and I want to take the time instead of the money at the end of my working to keep the benefits going while I burn through the rest of the vacay.

We hit 1M today but there are still some risk factors in our financial lives and I知 not quite ready to pull the plug on my job just yet.  If I lost my job tomorrow, however, I doubt I壇 look for another one.  Thanks for all your support!  I really appreciate this community.

couponvan

• Magnum Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #454 on: July 11, 2018, 09:48:02 AM »
Hi!

Well, DW and I have finally settled on a RE date of 4-1-2022.  We settled on 2022 some time ago since we both turn 55 in late 22.  My work FY starts in October so I値l get half a bonus for FY22 if I work until April 1.  Also, I値l have a bunch of vacation time built up and I want to take the time instead of the money at the end of my working to keep the benefits going while I burn through the rest of the vacay.

We hit 1M today but there are still some risk factors in our financial lives and I知 not quite ready to pull the plug on my job just yet.  If I lost my job tomorrow, however, I doubt I壇 look for another one.  Thanks for all your support!  I really appreciate this community.

Welcome!  4/2/22 was my original date.  Now it's all up in the air - possibly earlier.  Taking the vacation time before ending employment sounds like a solid plan.
Why the hell are we going shopping? Buy sh*t, return other sh*t, go through sh*t and donate sh*t. Complain about having too much sh*t. Repeat. (Bracken Joy 2/17)

Calvawt

• Bristles
« Reply #455 on: July 19, 2018, 05:13:00 PM »
Looking at 7/5/18 as my last date, would be right before I turn 45.  Our pension vests each year as of 6/30, so that way I get the full year deposit.

Saving about $100k per year, so along with compounding I can retire once my baby girl starts kindergarten.  My wife might actually go back to work at the same time, so we would kind of be swapping except for I make a ridiculous salary.  At least we would barely need to touch principal at that point (and hopefully still get cheap insurance if she goes FT).
Non-profit CFO.  No margin, no mission.

middo

• Stubble
  • Learning.
« Reply #456 on: July 19, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
Job changes, and moving interstate haven't helped our net worth growth lately, but we have an opportunity to increase it with a redevelopment of land we own.  We are planning on losing our inherit conservatism with money and go for it, and maybe retire a bit earlier.  Or at least scale back work before 2022. 

But 22/2/2022 is my end date still one way or another.  I'll be 51, so earlyish, but not really early.