Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 403861 times)

the_gastropod

• Bristles
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1800 on: August 16, 2022, 01:59:10 PM »
Alright, there's likely no way I'm going to have enough funds for a 4% SWR by next month. SO... I'm contemplating pulling the plug at least temporarily. Maybe 6 months? Maybe a year? Trying it on for size, as I figure out what I want next. I'm absolutely burned out from work, and continuing on beyond September just feels a bit like a nightmare to me right now.

Am I an idiot? Should I just power on and get it over with? Only complicating factor is: I'm quasi-seriously in the market for a house. No real rush, but it would be nice if something should come available. I suspect not being employed will affect my mortage-worthiness.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1801 on: August 16, 2022, 02:04:02 PM »
Alright, there's likely no way I'm going to have enough funds for a 4% SWR by next month. SO... I'm contemplating pulling the plug at least temporarily. Maybe 6 months? Maybe a year? Trying it on for size, as I figure out what I want next. I'm absolutely burned out from work, and continuing on beyond September just feels a bit like a nightmare to me right now.

Am I an idiot? Should I just power on and get it over with? Only complicating factor is: I'm quasi-seriously in the market for a house. No real rush, but it would be nice if something should come available. I suspect not being employed will affect my mortage-worthiness.
Getting a mortgage is definitely easier with a steady paycheck. DH once submitted his for a re-fi while he was on vacation. They wanted one that didn't say "Vacation Pay". He guided them to the box that showed how many vacation hours he had left (400+) and they grudgingly accepted it. Sheesh. Also, I'm seeing evidence of prices dropping, even in our "red-hot" market, so waiting to buy seems an excellent idea.

Not an idiot.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1802 on: August 16, 2022, 02:12:05 PM »
I don't think anyone with savings is an idiot for taking a break.

Everyone does need to acknowledge that if the economy goes into a full fledged recession, it isn't going to be easy to just get a job. The nice thing about being close to FIRE is that you can wait it out.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1803 on: August 17, 2022, 12:34:39 PM »
DH has found a better work life balance. Or maybe tilted a bit to the life side :)

Until a couple of days ago, he was so jittery that he was giving me panic attacks just being in the same space. But now he is settling in and working just a few hours a day. Hope that carries through when we start travelling again. He hardly did any work on our last trip, so that was nice to have him present!

Late in the day update: Two months and multiple phone calls, we still can't sign up for COBRA, but now the online portal is showing we have employer provided health insurance again, instead?!? I have been training DH to ask to talk to the manager.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 08:22:41 PM by ixtap »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1804 on: August 18, 2022, 07:59:08 AM »
...and this morning, I decided to check on how many RSUs are vesting the Fall and the answer was 0. So we have health insurance we aren't supposed to have, but a number of claims have been rejected in the interim and a benefit similar to the new salary is currently MIA...

Downshifting just wasn't supposed to be this stressful! Thanks for letting me vent.

At least DH has decided that the hours he spends dealing with this count as work hours ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2022, 06:46:01 PM by ixtap »

Geldsnor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1805 on: August 19, 2022, 06:04:21 AM »
@RainyDay would like to confirm the above date. It is official, I am FIREd! Thank you MMM (and this forum) for all the encouraging articles, even the most recent one is spot on for the situation. Don't know what to say really, all the years of stashing and planning. First thing that comes to mind:

Small update one month in: seems I had 101 little jobs around the house I never got to. Have been so busy I wonder this FIRE thing is a smart idea ;) Falling into the trap I have been reading about replacing the one for the other. But nice to have some things done that have been bugging me for years, an organised house is an organised brain for me.

Next is going on a months long slow travel trip now that the temperature drops a bit, and all I got is a pile of books and a new fancy pair of hiking boots. Looking forward!

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1806 on: August 23, 2022, 05:15:02 AM »
Probably past time to move our list to a new page!  Let me know if anyone needs updating, or if there are new folks I missed.

skiscool                   1/1/2022 (49)
Boarder42               1/19/2022 (35)
rdy4er                    1/26/2022 (56)
dmmms                  1/31/2022 (52)
moof                      2/3/2022
Igelfreundin            2/11/22 (46)
taco_sushi              2/18/2022 (39)
friedmmj                2/25/2022 (55)
SteadyStache          3/4/2022
FrugalAussie           3/25/2022
lollylegs                  3/25/2022 (59)
Mr. Dicey                3/30/2022
mak1277                3/31/2022 (45)
dashuk                   late Mar 2022 (39)
mermalaid               end of March 2022 (46)
Magnetic North        4/22/2022 (36)
Bownyboy               4/29/2022
mspym                   4/29/2022 (48)
Holocene                5/6/2022 (32)
Blackeagle              5/11/2022
80Westy                 5/20/2022 (50)
2KidFIRE                5/20/2022 (39)
pipfan33                  May 2022
CapLimited              6/17/2022
salt cured                6/30/2022
basuragomi             6/30/2022 (31)
Roboturner              June 2022 (33)
ItalianGirl                7/1/2022 (53)
Playing with Fire UK 7/4/2022 (39)
luckyme13              7/8/2022 (48)
Geldsnor                 7/21/2022 (39)
Vashy                     8/8/2022 (47)
arrintonpalmer        8/17/2022 (38)
cats                        Aug 2022 (40)
sheep_music           Aug 2022 (29)
skip207                  Aug 2022 (42)
shadesofgreen        Aug 2022 (45)
the_gastropod         mid-Sept 2022
slowroadtofreedom  9/16/2022
MisterA                   Sept 2022 (61)
treffpunkt               Sep 2022 (50)
frizzywhiskers          9/30/2022 (50) (OMY to 2023)
swaneeSR               10/1/2022 (56)
bowwowz                10/18/2022 (44)
Wadiman                mid-Oct '22 (OMY'd from '21)
LightTripper            Oct 2022 (47)
2Birds1Stone          Fall '22
NearlyThere            11/30/2022 (39)
RainyDay                Dec 2022 (50)
DaTrill                     12/31/2022
WSUCoug1994         12/31/2022
matchewed             TBD
MisterA                   TBD
ToughMother           TBD
TomTX                    5LY from 2027?!
Markus                   OMY to 2023
thinkerGirl              OMY to 2023 (but part time!) (54)
Blissful Biker           OMY to 2023 (but part time!)  (49)
Much Fishing to Do  OMY to Feb 2023 (50)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:25:43 AM by RainyDay »

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #1807 on: August 23, 2022, 05:41:02 AM »
Could you move me to October please?  I will still be technically employed then, but on a contract where my pay depend on my hours and I don't intend to do many after that point.  Technically I will probably be freelance after that, and may do a few hours here and there - but to me, October will feel like the month that Freedom starts for practical purposes, so given that my FIRE will be somewhat blurry that seems the right point to pick - and the one where I will feel like celebrating (I actually feel quite giddy thinking about it now - even though I have quite a bit of work and other admin pain to get through between here and then!)

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #1808 on: August 23, 2022, 08:21:15 AM »
Please put me down for OMYing into 2023, age 50.  With the market downturn I shifted to part time as opposed to retiring.  It's been a great decision so far.  Lower stress, better life balance.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1809 on: August 23, 2022, 04:18:34 PM »
I've only recently discovered this whole subculture of FIRE having stumbled upon MMM via his Tim Ferriss podcast interview.   I've been kind of obsessively running my numbers for a few weeks now to see if I'm potentially able to FIRE in the not-too-distant future and... I think I just might be!

I recently took the time to change my investment mix, moving out of some actively managed funds and into index funds.  I invested some idle cash.  I ramped up funding of a Roth IRA. 

Now 2022 is looking like it could be my year.   My struggle is going to be reducing my spending.  I've done a pretty good job (by normal standards, not by Mustachian standards) in the savings category and so I now have a 'stache of around 800K + ~140K home equity (remaining mortgage of 120K).  I have a savings rate of around 36% (low by Mustachian standards, I know).  My spending is about 50% discretionary (restaurants, mostly) but it will be a hard habit to break. 

I'm single w/no kids so I only have to support one person (so long as my mom's $ lasts for her retirement, which it probably will, fingers crossed).   

My spending goal for post-FIRE is around 47K/yr so I'm hoping to have my 'stache at the 1.2M level by 2022.  That seems to be where things are headed assuming average returns over the next 5 years (7%).  There's also a lot of fluff built into that 47K figure, so plenty of room to adjust if needed. 

So this is my one year post-iversary!*    How has the plan been going over the past year?  Well, let's see...

A couple of things from my initial post can now be revised.   First, my savings rate has improved.  At the time of my first post, I had approx a 36% savings rate. I ended 2017 with a 49% (post tax) savings rate and so far in 2018 I'm actually at 59% (I include mortgage principle in that calc).   So that's a win and works the needle in the FI sooner direction.  My spending has reduced just a little bit (maybe 8% so far).  I do plan to take a couple of short trips later this year, so that might get me closer to last years spending. 

My net worth has increased by $143K since this first post and I became a millionaire, which is also good.  That also works the FI needle closer to now. 

I no longer intend to pay off my mortgage in any hurry. I've read lots of the posts in these forums about the issue and the math seems to be solidly in the 'keep your mortgage' category.  Since I've got 12 more years on my 3.75%, I think I'll stay the course and just pay it off on the normal schedule.  I may move before then, anyway. 

Now that I am tracking my spending more closely, I have revised my target RE spend upward.  Now, I realize that there are many on the forums who rightly point out that MMM is all about finding sufficiency (nay, bounty) in low cost living.  I get it.  We bigger spenders are dragging up the average on the boards, but we're doing better than we would have without the MMM influence.  So while my 2017 self used 47K as my expected RE spend, I'm now looking for something more around 60K.  Frankly, healthcare costs have me a little freaked out.  Where I live, right now the ACA plan at the Silver level with no subsidies would cost me around 8K/year.  It's only going up.  I'm expecting to need 10-12K/year when I start my RE life.   Trying to predict this is almost pointless, but clearly all signs point to 'more expensive'. 

All in all, I see myself still on target for a 2022 RE.  I still extrapolate my stash will be somewhere in the $1.2-1.3M range at that point.  I have a small pension that kicks in at 60, which should reduce my WR by almost 1.5 percentage points. FIRECalc has me at 100% historical success with my current numbers.   

Will I have the guts to really pull the trigger in 2022?  I don't know. It's too far away to be real just yet.  Of course, 20% of my 5 year horizon from first post has now slipped into the past, and it didn't seem to take very long. 

I think my finances are pretty much in snowball mode at this point so the most important thing I need to be doing now to prepare myself for RE is finding new hobbies, interests, and friends that I can spend my time with post-FIRE.  I think this is the most likely stumbling block for me come 2022.  I couldn't retire today if I had the money, because I'm not mentally and socially prepared.  I've got to focus on getting that part in order.

Hope everyone else has made good progress on your goals for the past year and I look forward to the final stretch! 

*close enough

And here we are at my 2 year post-iversary!    Not sure what the correct gift is for that... 

I'm still using the $60K/yr number for spending post FIRE, which gives me a 96% fireCalc success rate for the 2022 time frame.   The poor markets last year brought that down from a projected 100% a year ago.  Noise, I guess.

My spend number obviously includes a great deal of discretionary spending.  My 'skinny' FIRE spending - which wouldn't require downsizing or ditching cable or eating only beans and rice or anything like that, is about $40K and my 'slim' FIRE number which would include more frills is about 50K. These levels are pretty much within reach right now, but I am aiming for a more 'husky' FIRE.   I think I keep up with these other lower FIRE levels just as a way to stay confident that if I lose my job for some reason before I decide to pull the cord, I don't have to freak out.  I can gauge the level of bullshit up with which I am willing to put at the corporate gig.  I can stay confident that my corporate overlords don't really have any power over me. 

2 years into my journey I now recognize that 3 more years until 2022 is not very long at all.

And here we are now at my 3 year post-iversary.   How the time has flown. Never have I related more to the old saying that sometimes "the days drag on while the years fly by." 

Financially, everything is actually ahead of schedule.  Two years ago I predicted that my stash would reach $1.2M by 2022, but in fact I reached that level last week.  I firmly believe that the current market is a bit of a mirage, so I think we are in for either several years of low/zero market growth or we are in for another big drop to get things somewhat in sync with economic reality.  I wouldn't have the cajones to RE using today's stash level as my 4% rule jumping off point. No way. 

My savings rate was a bit lower in 2019 than 2018, at 45%.  Income was pretty much identical to 2018 but I had some home and auto maintenance costs that took out a bite.

My current FIRE estimated spending levels are $57k/67k/87k for basic/comfortable/fat FIRE.  The 'comfortable' level is pretty much current spending + health insurance at non-subsidized rates.   When my stash has reached the point it can cover that level, I'll consider myself truly FI.   

So, what about FIRE 2022?  My gut tells me that I will probably not yet be where I want to be financially in just 2 short years, but who knows?  Every year, I adjust my targets upward and I'm sure that will continue. 

I'm also beginning to consider my housing situation.  I'm not sure I want to stay in my current home for the long term.  I'm not ready to move yet, but I know that obtaining a mortgage after FIRE can be problematic, so I may have to come to a decision on that front in the next year or so.  My car is.. well, it isn't going to last forever.  It cost me about 3K last year in repairs / maintenance and my threshold for seriously considering a replacement is when I no longer would consider driving my car on a multi-hour road trip.  That time has arrived.  I don't have any road trips planned in my immediate future, though, so I have some breathing room. 

How is everyone else doing on the 2022 FIRE goals?

4 years now.  Wow. 80% of the time since my original post now gone.  My goals have shifted over those years, as I mentioned in last year's anniversary update.  Since that update, my stash has grown by over 300K and my total net worth is pretty close to $2 million if I include the value of my smallish pension.

On the purely financial side, the numbers appear to show me at FI now.  My average annual spending over the past three years is pretty much exactly 4% of my stash. 

At the market lows last year when the S&P 500 was at 2300, my stash would still have supported a 40K WR, which is still plenty to actually pay my bills, so that's a comfort. 

As to the emotional and psychological aspect of RE readiness, I'm still behind on that front.

How do I feel about 2022 as the year I RE?  I'm still very much on the fence. 

My job certainly isn't horrible by any stretch, especially in the work-from-home era in which we find ourselves.  I appreciate my job. I work for a good company with good benefits.  But I'm just tired of it. 

If I hit my financial goals next year and I have a solid plan that tells me I can afford to leave my job and never work again, I think I'll at the very least try to take a sabbatical for a few months.  I may also look into changing my role significantly at my company, and work in an entirely different area just to shake things up.  I might ask about going to part time.  None of those things may be an option, but if I've got my plan ready to go I think I'll have the confidence to push for something.  I may also leave my corporate job and look into focusing exclusively on freelance work for a few hours a week. I may truly RE and see how it goes. Being FI is about freedom. I want to take that freedom out for a spin and see what she's got.

Five years gone.  I certainly didn't have global pandemic, land war in Europe, and 10% inflation in my 5 year plan.

Net worth is down about 1% since last year's postiversary.  Expenses are up, not sure by how much exactly, but certainly a non-trivial amount.   Since I hadn't quite hit my financial goals last year and now I have a lower stash and higher spending, that's a pretty obvious miss on being financially ready to pull the trigger. 

Once I close out this year and do a spending review, I'll have a more detailed view, but I'm thinking I want (I almost wrote need, but that's kind of silly) $2 million in the stash before I hit the eject button. 

Even more than the financial side lagging is that I'm not ready to be without the structure of having some work.  I need to have some purpose or I might go to an unhappy place.  I would like, I think, to have a small amount of work each week, like 10 hours that I could bundle up however I wanted, either a couple hours a day or knock it out in a couple days.  Yeah, that's the ticket. 

Like most places, the gloomy talk is coming from management now. I factor in a bit of manipulation in their messaging, thinking it's probably in their interests to play up the looming bad economic conditions in order to regain some of the upper hand that they've lost over the past couple of years with the labor shortage.  Instead of listening to us peons gripe about our 2% raises in a 10% inflation environment, they hope we'll start getting scared of losing our jobs.  Maybe I'm just cynical. 

Of course, if they were to come up with a buyout package that might be the bee's knees.  The last time they did that, the formula would have given me 2 years pay to leave.  If that came around again, I don't know if I could resist. 

Geldsnor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1810 on: August 25, 2022, 05:02:38 AM »
Five years gone. I certainly didn't have global pandemic, land war in Europe, and 10% inflation in my 5 year plan.

Net worth is down about 1% since last year's postiversary.  Expenses are up, not sure by how much exactly, but certainly a non-trivial amount.   Since I hadn't quite hit my financial goals last year and now I have a lower stash and higher spending, that's a pretty obvious miss on being financially ready to pull the trigger. 

Once I close out this year and do a spending review, I'll have a more detailed view, but I'm thinking I want (I almost wrote need, but that's kind of silly) $2 million in the stash before I hit the eject button. 

Even more than the financial side lagging is that I'm not ready to be without the structure of having some work.  [...]

Yes you did, that is what the 4% rule is all about. You however did adjust your 'needed' stash size from 1.2 to 2.0 million, that is where the real inflation is. Sorry for the face punch, been there myself, but you will come up with new excuses each year to 'need' more. As you say you are mentally not ready yet, but perhaps read a bit about the OMY-syndrome to reflect whether that is what you are suffering from.

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1811 on: August 25, 2022, 05:04:28 AM »

Vashy                      12/31/2022 (47)

Put me down as FIREd on 8/8/2022. :)

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1812 on: August 25, 2022, 07:18:24 AM »
You can move me to OMY but I do finally have a real date set in motion (2-28-23) with management.  The plan is to fade out Jan/Feb by wrapping up the projects I have ownership of at that time while not taking on any new ones after 12-31-22.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1813 on: August 25, 2022, 08:47:57 AM »
Five years gone. I certainly didn't have global pandemic, land war in Europe, and 10% inflation in my 5 year plan.

Even more than the financial side lagging is that I'm not ready to be without the structure of having some work.  [...]

Yes you did, that is what the 4% rule is all about. You however did adjust your 'needed' stash size from 1.2 to 2.0 million, that is where the real inflation is. Sorry for the face punch, been there myself, but you will come up with new excuses each year to 'need' more. As you say you are mentally not ready yet, but perhaps read a bit about the OMY-syndrome to reflect whether that is what you are suffering from.

Hah, true enough.  It is kind of amusing to notice how the goal constantly shifts every time I hit a financial milestone.   At root, I’m sure most of it is fear of change. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1814 on: August 25, 2022, 08:49:33 AM »

Congratulations!

You can move me to OMY but I do finally have a real date set in motion (2-28-23) with management.  The plan is to fade out Jan/Feb by wrapping up the projects I have ownership of at that time while not taking on any new ones after 12-31-22.
Excellent day to take the leap into FIRE!

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #1815 on: August 25, 2022, 11:44:32 AM »

Congratulations!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1816 on: August 25, 2022, 02:15:47 PM »
Woohoo Vashy! Congratulations 🥳

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1817 on: August 26, 2022, 06:29:01 AM »
Thank you, @Dicey, @Turtle and @mspym - It's a coast/barista FI/RE but I decided it counts. All my work is now freelance and pretty much on my own schedule. The traveling begins next month with Vashy's 2022 European Tour.

treffpunkt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1818 on: August 26, 2022, 07:33:28 AM »
@RainyDay

treffpunkt               Apr 2022 (49)

Delayed a bit, but my last day will be in September (I have put in notice; it's for real!). This also bumps me up to 50 instead of 49. :)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1819 on: August 26, 2022, 12:19:28 PM »
DH's HR contact evidently can't read a chart. They opened a ticket regarding his missing RSUs and the response was that he never should have been told that he could keep them. Half of his compensation has just evaporated. He is seriously considering going to 30 hours for long enough to get the largest tranche, as well as covering healthcare for awhile longer.

I am numb. No, we don't need this money, but I was counting on it for cash flow management and it was what he and his manager both understood the package to be...

Funny thing, is if he goes back up to 30, he also gets health insurance back. The increased salary, health insurance, RSUs, any ONE of those is enough to cover the cash flow crunch. All three should out us back into savings mode.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 05:34:04 AM by ixtap »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1820 on: August 29, 2022, 05:22:10 PM »
DH's HR contact evidently can't read a chart. They opened a ticket regarding his missing RSUs and the response was that he never should have been told that he could keep them. Half of his compensation has just evaporated. He is seriously considering going to 30 hours for long enough to get the largest tranche, as well as covering healthcare for awhile longer.

Ugh!

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #1821 on: August 31, 2022, 07:40:41 AM »
Well done everyone who've made the leap so far this year.

Moving mine forward (?) from November to 16 September. Finally it has been agreed and put in writing.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1822 on: September 02, 2022, 06:01:22 PM »
Hey all - I'm going to keep hanging around here for the conversation, but I'm unlikely to 5LY to 2022. Job's good, best supervisor I've ever had, I'm making a positive difference in the world - and I think technically* I meet the "Qualified Public Safety Employee" definition, so if I retire in 2023 (the year I turn 50) or later I will be able to draw on 401k money with no penalty. Since the pension is NOT inflation adjusted, the current inflationary regime also has me a tad spooked. If I hated the job, I would pull the plug anyway.

*I work for the state, have had specialized fire fighting training and have been the first responder on 3 (admittedly small) fires during that tenure - and extinguished all of them. I've also been the first responder to a motor vehicle wreck and controlled the scene until full time police showed up.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:26%20section:72%20edition:prelim)%20OR%20(granuleid:USC-prelim-title26-section72)&f=treesort&edition=prelim&num=0&jumpTo=true#substructure-location_t_10

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1823 on: September 02, 2022, 06:37:37 PM »

Ugh!

The decision has been made to be very lax about meeting 20 hours. In theory. I have asked him to track because he has been putting in a few hours a day even while traveling.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1824 on: September 04, 2022, 04:34:13 PM »
Well, 8/19 was my last day at the job.  There was some noise about possibly offering me contract work but my now former department is now under a complete hiring freeze so...not holding my breath for that.

I have been pretty busy.  We just moved into a new (to us, it's actually 100 years old) home, so there has been unpacking, acquiring some furniture (Buy Nothing, Freecycle, and the Free section of CL have so far all been working out well), etc.  DH has been very occupied doing some manual labor on our garage to make sure it will survive the winter (fortunately house is in better shape!).  And our 6yo son is still on summer vacation, so...busy!  DS and I have been figuring out various free/low-cost activities, we've done a lot of hiking and bike riding, scored free admission to a children's museum and also the local zoo, and have been visiting various nearby library branches to decide which one we like best.  It's really fun to be able to spend so much time with him and not be thinking about work, though in some ways more tiring than a job!  Looking forward to the start of school on Tuesday :)  Though I suspect once school starts I will have more mental energy to process the whole "hey, don't have a job anymore" part of life and that may be...weird.  I think I might need to revive my very neglected journal.

DS's elementary school has put out a call for parents to create/lead after school enrichment classes.  It's 2x/week and it would actually pay (though really NOT a lot, about $100/week--is that enough for the IRP to come after me?).  I am debating whether to offer to jump in and try to lead a course, or to take some time to figure out the school a bit more first.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1825 on: September 06, 2022, 11:13:29 AM »
DH has decided to take the reduced pay and not pressure himself to put in hours. The person who was supposed to be getting the other half of his rec just got a hold of him because she feels like she has gotten a raw deal: looks like they didn't renew her contract and brought her back as a part time with just as much chaos as he has experienced.

Meanwhile, we also got a phone call that a liveaboard slip has opened up in our ideal location, so we are going to be paying more rent, but we are going to have more local cruising

I guess it is time to accept that we are no longer accumulators!!

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #1826 on: September 16, 2022, 02:56:00 PM »
One more FIRE’d person today: I finished today, age 49. It’s been a long time coming and I’ve had no real feelings of celebration. Now to look forward, and to my time freedom.

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #1827 on: September 16, 2022, 04:26:06 PM »
One more FIRE’d person today: I finished today, age 49. It’s been a long time coming and I’ve had no real feelings of celebration. Now to look forward, and to my time freedom.

Congratulations!

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1828 on: September 17, 2022, 01:43:06 AM »

Yay, congrats! :)

luckyme13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1829 on: September 28, 2022, 06:40:51 AM »

Cheers to you!  How are you adjusting?

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #1830 on: September 28, 2022, 08:09:28 AM »

@the_gastropod Have you asked your HR about the possibility of taking an unpaid sabbatical?  Then you could return to the office if you found the right house while you were out.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1831 on: September 30, 2022, 06:28:06 AM »
How are folks doing? I am about six weeks in and still trying to figure out my post-FIRE routine.  I do feel like I'm sleeping pretty well, thought I've noticed some other body signs indicating I'm stressed (I suspect about my son starting a new school more than FIRE). Taking some steps to alleviate the stress symptoms.  Working on meeting people in our new area--I tried out a knitting group last night, the other ladies there seemed pretty cool (though definitely more spendy than me...though I guess that is true of a lot of people!), going to meet up with them again in a couple of weeks.

I'll admit I am definitely feeling some angst about the recent stock market tumbles and the whole inflation thing.  Though some prices have come down around here (eggs were $3/dozen and are now $2.25/dozen) so maybe (maybe?) that has hit a peak and is now receding?  DH and I will need to do some updating of our accounts with the end of the month and I guess we'll see how we are doing with spending, etc.  So far I think we are "under budget" overall, and our stash when we FIREd had a SWR a bit under 4% so on paper everything should be fine...but I am just kind of a worrier about unknown things.  I think if we can make it through a few more months without any major unplanned expenses I'll start to feel a lot more secure about the financial side of things.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1832 on: September 30, 2022, 07:38:17 PM »
The nice thing about being on the boat is you just have to let all that other stuff go when you get far enough off shore. I did notice that the S&P is below the low from earlier this year, and the prices at the grocery store I walked to yesterday were ridiculous, but that is just noise compared to keeping ourselves safe, especially since one of our fuel tanks keeps fouling it's filters.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1833 on: October 01, 2022, 11:53:29 AM »
You know, I've been puzzling over this for awhile. I've been pushing off the "RE" despite being lean-FI and able to retire now, even with a bit of a buffer if I cut out some luxury spending like the fancy flagship phones we purchased early this year despite having perfectly functional 4 year old flagship smartphones.

For cohort date purposes, I realize that I've been over focused on the "RE" part and not the "FI" option.

Work is good, largely on my own terms (90% remote, lots of flexibility for most stuff). I feel appreciated and am having a noticeable positive impact on the world (within my niche anyway, but the results touch tens of millions of people directly and billions indirectly.) I've been effective at streamlining some processes and clearing out some cruft and my ability to do more of that just increased. My one personality conflict with a coworker appears to be resolved. My supervisor is literally the best one I've ever had.

Therefore, as of 10/1/2022 I declare myself a SWAMI and 5LY from the 2027 FIRE thread I started back in 2016. I've hit FI despite choosing to continue with my job.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1834 on: October 01, 2022, 12:55:20 PM »
You know, I've been puzzling over this for awhile. I've been pushing off the "RE" despite being lean-FI and able to retire now, even with a bit of a buffer if I cut out some luxury spending like the fancy flagship phones we purchased early this year despite having perfectly functional 4 year old flagship smartphones.

For cohort date purposes, I realize that I've been over focused on the "RE" part and not the "FI" option.

Work is good, largely on my own terms (90% remote, lots of flexibility for most stuff). I feel appreciated and am having a noticeable positive impact on the world (within my niche anyway, but the results touch tens of millions of people directly and billions indirectly.) I've been effective at streamlining some processes and clearing out some cruft and my ability to do more of that just increased. My one personality conflict with a coworker appears to be resolved. My supervisor is literally the best one I've ever had.

Therefore, as of 10/1/2022 I declare myself a SWAMI and 5LY from the 2027 FIRE thread I started back in 2016. I've hit FI despite choosing to continue with my job.
I am in a similar place and have decided to settle into an FI part time work groove I've carved out at work. I have managed to get into a position with opportunities to do a lot of mentorship a d technical stuff and strp away from paper pushing elements that made me cringe.

moneytaichi

• Stubble
« Reply #1835 on: October 01, 2022, 06:34:08 PM »

I am in a similar place and have decided to settle into an FI part time work groove I've carved out at work. I have managed to get into a position with opportunities to do a lot of mentorship a d technical stuff and strp away from paper pushing elements that made me cringe.

Same here. My boss asked me pick up work from one of my coworkers whom is quitting in a week. I literally parsed his work responsibilities and only take parts that I am interested, i.e. coaching/mentoring a young new hire, and setting the strategy. I passed the leftover (coding, operation, and leading the offshore software engineering team) to another person. It feels great to be able to pick and choose, and still get appreciated for my contribution. That's the power of FI ;=)

Holocene

• Bristles
« Reply #1836 on: October 01, 2022, 09:18:39 PM »
My sabbatical has been awesome.  My last work day was in early May.  I got to enjoy a really nice summer being outside a ton.  Biking, kayaking, walking, reading outside in the hammock.  It took a while to get used to the idea of not working.  I eased myself into it by doing shorter 3 day work weeks at the end to use up PTO, which helped a bit.  I still felt a bit guilty in the beginning for not doing much useful.  After coming from years of full-time work, it's a big change to do nothing!  But I got used to it.  I kept doing mostly the same things each day and it was easy to get into this routine that just didn't involve a job or much useful work at all.  As long as I was getting outside and exercising almost every day, I felt ok about it.  And since a lot of what I wanted time off to do was fun exercise while it was nice out, this was a very easy goal to meet.  I biked a ton of miles and did my first 100+ mile ride and first bike-packing trip.  So I felt like I accomplished something anyway.

I spent the first 3 weeks of September in Iceland.  Had an amazing time.  It's a beautiful country with so many mountains, waterfalls, rivers, glaciers, fjords, volcanos.  And sheep!  Each day was just about figuring out where I needed to go and slowly walking up mountains and enjoying the scenery.  Life is pretty simple at this level.  It's nice to be able to kind of disconnect from everything else for a bit.

Money-wise, I've been spending more than usual and obviously the market hasn't been doing great.  I had huge safety margins before I pulled the trigger so that's kept me calm throughout.  And I ended up negotiating a new part-time job that starts next month rather than quitting for good as I originally intended.  At the time, this decision wasn't really driven by finances.  And it's still not really, but the income certainly looks even more appealing several months later.  I probably wouldn't be quite as calm now and would've tightened up the belt more and maybe even skipped the expensive Iceland trip.  So it's a nice backstop for now.  I wouldn't go back to my old job after having tasted this freedom, unless I was truly desperate (not there yet!).  But this new job might be worth it and was too perfect for me to pass up.  We'll see soon enough.  I guess for now count me as another FI but not quite fully RE.

For a practice FIRE run, it's been pretty great.  No complaints.  I didn't really have anything in mind other than enjoying summer and trying to travel, so that's pretty much all I did. I never hated my job or was that unhappy there.  But I never loved it either.  And it's amazing how much better/lighter you feel when you're not forced to do something you don't really love for 40+ hours a week every week.  It wears you down in ways you don't even realize until you're out.  I expect the new job to be much more fun and fulfilling and half the hours.  So hopefully that will be a happy balance for me.  At least I always have the option of quitting again.  FI is pretty great!

Hope everyone else is doing well! The ride may be a bit bumpy right now but hope everyone is hanging in there.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #1837 on: October 02, 2022, 10:05:50 AM »

Cheers to you!  How are you adjusting?

@luckyme13 thank you. Early days, but so far I’ve found it no trouble finding things to do - in fact, I haven’t had time to contemplate ‘work’!

arrintonpalmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1838 on: October 03, 2022, 11:20:43 AM »
DH has decided to take the reduced pay and not pressure himself to put in hours. The person who was supposed to be getting the other half of his rec just got a hold of him because she feels like she has gotten a raw deal: looks like they didn't renew her contract and brought her back as a part time with just as much chaos as he has experienced.

Meanwhile, we also got a phone call that a liveaboard slip has opened up in our ideal location, so we are going to be paying more rent, but we are going to have more local cruising

I guess it is time to accept that we are no longer accumulators!!

I think that you guys get the award for most awkward exit from the workforce in 2022.

arrintonpalmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1839 on: October 03, 2022, 11:25:21 AM »
Probably past time to move our list to a new page!  Let me know if anyone needs updating, or if there are new folks I missed.

Please put me down for August 17, 2022. Full time is over and I'm working 2 days a month unless I decide otherwise for non-monetary reasons! I'll defend myself against the retirement police if I need to. Age 38.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1840 on: October 03, 2022, 12:27:00 PM »
I'll defend myself against the retirement police if I need to. Age 38.

DH is your age and he tends to find the opposite. People inform him that he is semi-retired when he describes his current situation.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1841 on: October 07, 2022, 06:59:15 AM »
So great to hear the stories above, sounds like folk are doing really well, with or sans job!

Next week is a bit of a weird half way house, but I think let's say Wednesday will be my last day where I am really making myself do work I don't want to do for money.  I mean, arguably I was really doing it more through a sense of responsibility to a long-standing project, but in any case I am done with the majority of it now (including all the stressful bit, but sadly not all the weekend work bit), and will be fully done by Wednesday.

It feels so so strange - I can't quite wrap my head around it.  I don't feel as joyful as I thought I might (perhaps because there is still a bit of work to do) but I definitely feel much much lighter than a week ago!

I'm going to take a few weeks to decompress and then need to talk to my boss about a contract for next year that gives me the flexibility I want to do some bits of work here and there, or bring in projects if they come along, but not get paid so much that I feel responsible to do work I don't want to do.  A couple of colleagues have also floated the idea of me taking on a more managerial role but I'm not sure ... I really don't want to go back to doing all the "housekeeping".  On the other hand, it's right that I have been here forever and have a pretty good relationship with all the senior folks, whereas there are a lot of little pair-wise enmities and resentments between others that would make it hard for somebody else to do that "gluing together" part of the role.  Anyway, I will talk to my boss and see what she thinks. I'm really not sure if I can add value there or not (or if it would be fun or not).  It would certainly be a change, and not too time consuming, so might be worth a try as a little RE/SWAMI experiment!

Holocene

• Bristles
« Reply #1842 on: October 07, 2022, 12:56:08 PM »
It feels so so strange - I can't quite wrap my head around it.  I don't feel as joyful as I thought I might (perhaps because there is still a bit of work to do) but I definitely feel much much lighter than a week ago!

I can relate to this.  I never got that overjoyed elated feeling about being done that I always thought I would have.  I think for me, there were just a lot of other emotions tied up in leaving.  I'd been there a long time.  My job wasn't all bad.  I worked with great people and the last month or so was pretty good as I was working less hours and doing more of the stuff I liked.  But I didn't love my job either and wanted that freedom.  For me, it just slowly sank in and eventually it became normal not working.  I never did get that overwhelming happy feeling I thought I might have.  But I found myself thinking most days how glad I was to be out in the middle of a lake or on a long bike ride enjoying the nice day rather than sitting in a cubicle on a stupid Zoom call.  It's a big change, so I'd say just go with it.  Let yourself feel what you feel, decompress, and try not to pressure yourself to do anything for a bit.

I think it makes sense to keep your options open at work if you think there's a flexible part-time role you might enjoy.  Especially since you have history there and are probably known to be a good worker.  They'll likely be the most willing to work with you and be flexible since they know what they're getting.  I asked for exactly what I wanted from my company (6 month sabbatical and new part-time job that I defined) and they gave it to me.  Because I had a history of working hard and getting stuff done and they wanted to keep me.  It's unlikely I'd be able to find a similar job with this flexibility and pay at a new company.  It keeps my foot in the door but should be much more enjoyable, lower stress, and half the hours.  And there's always the option to leave, so nothing to lose by giving it a try.  I'd say talk with your boss about it sooner rather than later, while your recent hard work and contributions are still fresh in their minds.  Out of sight, out of mind... Be firm about what you want and be willing to walk away if they don't give it to you.  You have the upper hand here.  Good luck!!

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1843 on: October 07, 2022, 07:47:54 PM »
Great advice by Holocene ... very similar advice I would give and a boat I'm currently floating in.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1844 on: October 13, 2022, 08:03:57 AM »
Thanks Holocene.  I think you're right on all points.

I'm going to take a couple of weeks to think things through, and then I'll initiate a chat with my boss and see what happens.  That still leaves plenty of time to get a new contract in place for the New Year (or not, depending on the results of my mulling!)

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1845 on: October 14, 2022, 05:37:04 AM »

arrintonpalmer        8/17/2022 (38)
Sorry to say I did not make my 10/1/2022 date. Please revise me to 12/31/2022.

There is much in flux at my workplace and of course the overall market volatility doesn’t help.

Congratulations to all of you who have escaped his year.

SwaneeSR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1846 on: October 15, 2022, 11:48:47 AM »
That's OK! I nabbed the empty spot and declared my SWAMI/FI status :D

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1847 on: October 16, 2022, 05:40:53 AM »
Congratulations!  Glad I saved you the seat.

SwaneeSR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1848 on: October 16, 2022, 05:58:37 AM »
Congratulations!  Glad I saved you the seat.

SwaneeSR
Appreciated! Good luck with your New Year's Eve party!

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #1849 on: October 28, 2022, 08:06:27 PM »
Checked-out yesterday - just made it for my October deadline!  As I'm mid-50s it's not really super early retirement but I reckon I've knocked off 10 years from when i would have been retiring if it wasn't for MMM, this forum and other FIRE advocates such as JL Collins - thanks folks!

I told everyone at work that I was retiring and moving the family out of the city.  Many people admitted that they would like to do the same and asked me how I've done it.  When i got to the bit about saving more than 50% of my salary for 14 years their reaction was they "could never do that".  I generally didn't take the conversation further, except for a few who understood conscious spending etc.  For these folk i steered them to the blog and this forum as a starting point.

I'm celebrating my work-freeness by doing a trek and some travel in NZ - woohoo!

I'll do a full post on the journey shortly.

Peace, love and mung beans baby!