Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 402698 times)

MisterA

• Stubble
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1150 on: December 15, 2021, 06:21:59 AM »
Your bonds are your crash insurance, so at 60/40, you are in a good place.

+1

Well, we all like to think so, anyway.  I’m pretty nervous about the bond bubble caused by the US government pumping billions into it every month for years. Seems to me that every asset class is in a bubble, from real estate to crypto and everything in between. 
Of course that means there isn’t anything anyone can reasonably do other than spread our money around and hope for the best.
Thanks guys. I'm very well aware that my asset allocation provides some smoothing in any market crash, but it still meant that my portfolio dipped by about 20% (for a short time) at the start of the pandemic. It rose quickly, and I haven't looked back.

I still think that some cash (or maybe gold) would just give me a better buffer to stave off any potential sequence of returns risks in my early years of FIRE. At the start of the pandemic, there were lots of post-FIRE folks saying "no probs, I have 2 years of expenses in money, bring it on!". It seemed like a pretty good idea at the time. But likewise, they didn't get the investment benefit of those 2 years worth of cash.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1151 on: December 15, 2021, 06:32:50 AM »
We're in a high inflation period. You don't want to hold cash. Gold is fine.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1152 on: December 15, 2021, 08:45:35 AM »
I was originally 2023 cohort.  After changing some assumptions and trimming costs further, I was able to get it to 2022.  After securing part-time remote work for both DW and myself, I accelerated the plan further and we made the jump to coast-FI (which included a physical relocation) in mid-2021.  Best decision ever!

Still, I thought I'd pipe in for 2022 once again.  We *may* make the switch from coast-FI to full FIRE in late 2022, though 2023 is certainly a possibility there as well. 

We're currently slightly above our 4% number, but I don't feel like our spending number is nailed down that well in our new location.  I'm not fully comfortable at 4% with our kids still growing and potentially wanting to take up more expensive pursuits, eventually needing to add car costs and such, medical insurance, college costs more than anticipated, and such.  Part-time work from home isn't too painful, so we'll keep doing it for a bit longer.  The decision may be made for us with structural changes at both of our jobs, but for now I'll track to December 2022.

SteadyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1153 on: December 15, 2021, 09:46:01 AM »
Welcome in, Arbitrage. I'm in a similar position, but currently at 3.7% and may pull the plug at 3.5% and work PT. 

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #1154 on: December 17, 2021, 06:55:17 AM »
Good morning everyone. Been on the forums here from 2013 but took a bit of a break these past few years as I was "in the middle" of my FI journey and with everything on autopilot I lost interest in the forums (the shame). Can't believe how active they are now. Amazing.

Today is my last working day of 2021. I go back to the office on 11th January and I have a bonus due end of January. The calculations happen in January, so once they are agreed I will be putting in my 12 week notice. I may do some very part time consulting as Im leaving the business I built from scratch, but I will be leaving full time employment

Married with 1 dependent. My wife stopped working a few years back and we have been living off my salary this year to gauge how much our annual drawdown is. Including 9k holiday budget we're at 2.5% WR. I may even up this a little for next year but we're european so 4% is a little too high for our liking.

Not saying no to future work, but I plan on taking quite a bit of time to unwind 15 years of self employment stress.

Here's to all the FIREEs in 2022. I can't believe I'm with you :)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1155 on: December 17, 2021, 07:48:55 AM »
Contgrats @NearlyThere

Yesterday was my last day of work in 2021 i go back on jan 5th and put in 2 weeks notice.  kinda surreal this journey is ending.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #1156 on: December 18, 2021, 06:32:04 AM »
Thanks @boarder42.

Best of luck on the 5th!! Surreal is an understatement. Best of luck for 2022 and beyond. Will be following your posts with excitement

the_gastropod

• Bristles
« Reply #1157 on: December 18, 2021, 06:52:12 AM »
Congrats! That is coming up quick!

I’m planning on pulling the plug in mid-September. A stock option grant I got this year vests 25% around then. That happening should comfortably put me into my FI-zone.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1158 on: December 18, 2021, 07:14:23 AM »
DH has declared that he is taking the next two weeks off. He has been pretty miserable, but too miserable to ask if this experiment has affected his vision for downshifting vs quitting.

It isn't the same. We have been completely nomadic, never spending more than a couple of nights in the same bed, building a make shift work station in hotel rooms and corners of family houses...on the boat, he would have his own work station and even if we move the boat, he could sometimes work underway and would always have his work station at the next stop.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: December 18, 2021, 11:39:00 AM »
Contgrats @NearlyThere

Yesterday was my last day of work in 2021 i go back on jan 5th and put in 2 weeks notice.  kinda surreal this journey is ending.

That's awesome.  I think my last full day of the year will be this weds. (I'm sure there will be some emergencies to respond to after that but nothing that should require many hours). On Jan 1 I think I will have technically earned my profit sharing bonus from 2021...which is what i'm waiting for at this point, it will be significant...but its calculation is squishy enough my plan was to work thru when it was deposited before I gave notice.  Last month that award date was announced as Feb 28 (as opposed to the Jan 31st it had been before)....so I'm feeling I'm entering a kinda 2 month purgatory right now.....I keep telling myself thats for the best as its winter anyway and I'm so very close to hitting a big Net Worth round number that those 2 months might get me there if the market goes up as opposed to down....

Blissful Biker

• Bristles
« Reply #1160 on: December 19, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »
In early October I shared my plans to retire with my boss and said I would stick around a few months to train a successor.  But here we are 10 weeks later with no successor identified.  Some candidates but they are either not a good fit or not available.  We're in a mining super cycle, driven by the energy transition need for metals and minerals like copper, lithium, etc and we are also also being hit by the "Great Resignation" so capable resources are in high demand.

I've been asked to extend and after some thought decided that I would be open to extending if I received a healthy pay increase in January and I transitioned to 3 days a week.  He's thinking it over but I imagine he'll accept.  It's a great position to be in - to be able to set my own terms and be comfortable with walking away if they're not met.  I have all the leverage.

My plan had been to decompress and play for a year or two and then find a way to support the energy transition.  But maybe that support looks like staying in my current role part time.  Mining isn't a sexy part of the energy transition but it is fundamental.

As much as I'd like to think I can ski hard all day every day, my body couldn't deliver anyway.  :)

DaTrill

• Bristles
« Reply #1161 on: December 19, 2021, 11:43:13 AM »
In early October I shared my plans to retire with my boss and said I would stick around a few months to train a successor.  But here we are 10 weeks later with no successor identified.  Some candidates but they are either not a good fit or not available.  We're in a mining super cycle, driven by the energy transition need for metals and minerals like copper, lithium, etc and we are also also being hit by the "Great Resignation" so capable resources are in high demand.

I've been asked to extend and after some thought decided that I would be open to extending if I received a healthy pay increase in January and I transitioned to 3 days a week.  He's thinking it over but I imagine he'll accept.  It's a great position to be in - to be able to set my own terms and be comfortable with walking away if they're not met.  I have all the leverage.

My plan had been to decompress and play for a year or two and then find a way to support the energy transition.  But maybe that support looks like staying in my current role part time.  Mining isn't a sexy part of the energy transition but it is fundamental.

As much as I'd like to think I can ski hard all day every day, my body couldn't deliver anyway.  :)

I'd put a clock on the decision, ask to know within two weeks or something.  I find myself in this situation quite often where RE is a valid fallback and have all the power in the employee/employer relationship.  I'm probably a little aggressive with this strategy and does not make any friends among my supervisors, but not looking to make friends where I work, work to get a paycheck. 

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #1162 on: December 20, 2021, 06:07:27 AM »
Today is my last working day of 2021. I go back to the office on 11th January and I have a bonus due end of January. The calculations happen in January, so once they are agreed I will be putting in my 12 week notice.

Here's to all the FIREEs in 2022. I can't believe I'm with you :)
Congratulation, well done!
I look forward to following where you've lead.

In early October I shared my plans to retire with my boss and said I would stick around a few months to train a successor.  But here we are 10 weeks later with no successor identified.
Just put in your notice, and go. Why are you bothered about staying to train a successor? especially if 10 weeks later, nothing has progressed. Just go!

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1163 on: December 20, 2021, 06:32:55 AM »
It's hard to believe 2022 is almost here!  I started "the countdown" at 2 years, 10 months and now am under a year.  My RE date isn't til December 2022 but it has gone by fast so far.  Pretty soon this cohort will be emptying out as people pull the plug!

And I've already implemented Phase 1, in that I am now permanently part time at 4 days per week.  Never again will I work a 5-day work week! 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1164 on: December 22, 2021, 08:57:14 AM »
It's hard to believe 2022 is almost here!  I started "the countdown" at 2 years, 10 months and now am under a year.  My RE date isn't til December 2022 but it has gone by fast so far.  Pretty soon this cohort will be emptying out as people pull the plug!

And I've already implemented Phase 1, in that I am now permanently part time at 4 days per week.  Never again will I work a 5-day work week!

It's amazing. I went to 4 day weeks almost 4 years ago now and am re mid Jan.

ghsebldr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • stevesgreenhouses
« Reply #1165 on: December 25, 2021, 09:09:01 PM »
How many others here have 6 days to go?
 It was fun while it lasted. Bring on the clowns.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1166 on: December 25, 2021, 09:10:53 PM »
How many others here have 6 days to go?
 It was fun while it lasted. Bring on the clowns.

Sending in my retirement letter on 1/5 "working" til 1/19.

monarda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1167 on: December 25, 2021, 10:07:18 PM »
Greetings class of 2022!

I thought I might be in the 2021 class, but with some recalculation after the sale of a rental I'm thinking maybe OMY. I'll be following along with you guys. If there's no recession, then 2021 is still do-able. The timing mostly depends on health care and the next election outcome. Once there's single payer (or dropping the medicare age so we're eligible), we can be FI pretty much right away. We're 59 and 58 now.

By 2026, we'll both be 65,  so any earliness in retirement for us is just based on budgeting pre-medicare.

We're 60 now, and I'm still full time at work, but might go to half time this year?
Lots of 2021 expenses anticipated, so still hoping 2022 will be possible.  I think so!
We'll know a lot more in about 6 months. We're very close to FI now but would like to be more securely 'there'.

Checking in. I went to part time (60%) in November and am going to coast for a while at this rate.  I think I'm liking these short work weeks. I mix it up working 3 day weeks, or 4 short days. Or two full days and two half days.  Varies week to week.

We're FI at our current spend rate. Haven't decided if our spend rate is going to change upon retirement. Doubtful, but should figure that out before we set a date.  I might find that I like this part-time world and continue past 2022? We shall see!

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1168 on: December 29, 2021, 06:20:45 AM »
It's almost 2022, the year of this cohort's retirement!  Should we start a rolling log of people who FIRE?  Several people have already announced dates.

Boarder42               1/19/2022  (are you our cohort's first FIREee??)
Much Fishing to Do  end of Feb 2022
friedmmj                end of Feb 2022
Mr. Dicey                Mar 2022
NearlyThere            Mar/April 2022
Holocene                4/1/2022
lollylegs                  mid-April 2022
2Birds1Stone          5/1/2022
Playing with Fire UK May/June 2022
ToughMother           June 2022
Bownyboy               Aug 2022
the_gastropod         mid-Sept 2022
frizzywhiskers          9/30/2022
slowroadtofreedom  Nov 2022
RainyDay                Dec 2022
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:23:52 AM by RainyDay »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1169 on: December 29, 2021, 06:34:46 AM »
Although I continue to post here because we plan on changing our lifestyle up by the end of June, DH is currently enthusiastic about downshifting vs out and out leaving his employer.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1170 on: December 29, 2021, 06:44:26 AM »
Moving DH, let's call him, "Mr. Dicey" (the moniker he was given at the Moab Meet up) from the 2021 cohort. He is waiting for a new contract to be ratified, probably in March. He's also waiting for an appointment for bunion surgery, also expected in March. When one or the other happens, he's out. He will be 60, so rather late, but he worked 4-day weeks at a job he liked long enough to get a sweet, sweet Defined Benefit Pension. Can't wait!

Holocene

• Bristles
« Reply #1171 on: December 29, 2021, 08:03:23 AM »
I can't believe our year is almost here!  Thanks @RainyDay for starting a list.  Please add me for 4/1/2022.  Not set in stone but that's what I'm targeting for now.  We'll see how the next 3 months go.  This is getting real!!

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #1172 on: December 29, 2021, 09:57:54 AM »
You can add me in too please!  This is my year come hell or high water!  Had a bit of a change to the timeline but you can put me down for Sept. 30, 2022 age 50.

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1173 on: December 29, 2021, 11:09:55 AM »
I can't believe our year is almost here!  Thanks @RainyDay for starting a list.  Please add me for 4/1/2022.  Not set in stone but that's what I'm targeting for now.  We'll see how the next 3 months go.  This is getting real!!

I've had the same thought!  It really is getting real.  I need to start thinking about "what to do" after RE and whether I want to find some sort of part time work.  I like the idea of volunteering, but the traffic in our area limits my desire to go too far afield. 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1174 on: December 29, 2021, 11:36:09 AM »
I'm one week from the day I put in my 2 weeks notice.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #1175 on: December 29, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
Its great to see the list up for our thread, thanks!  For the last few years I've read the cohort threads to help keep me motivated and now, its our turn. Let the retirements begin!  :)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1176 on: December 30, 2021, 12:52:29 PM »
Still hanging out here just in case I get fed up before the planned 2023 retirement. Work is fun enough with 100% WFH to keep doing it for awhile. Will have to see how long the WFH sticks. Mid-2022 means 10 years to bridge til pension, mid-2023 means 8 years.

SYNACK

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1177 on: December 30, 2021, 01:41:52 PM »
I'm planning to take a long leave of absence in the fall of 2022 then depending how that goes that would be when I quit. I already have the money to finance the retirement (early 50s) but, honestly, I'm terrified to let go. Feels like letting go of a life line that has been keeping me from sinking for the last 25+ years. Not logical but way too scary hence a test run using a LoA.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1178 on: December 30, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
I'm planning to take a long leave of absence in the fall of 2022 then depending how that goes that would be when I quit. I already have the money to finance the retirement (early 50s) but, honestly, I'm terrified to let go. Feels like letting go of a life line that has been keeping me from sinking for the last 25+ years. Not logical but way too scary hence a test run using a LoA.

Totally understandable. Finally "pulling the plug" may well be more an emotional decision than an intellectual one.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1179 on: December 30, 2021, 03:24:34 PM »

Totally understandable. Finally "pulling the plug" may well be more an emotional decision than an intellectual one.

I literally talk to a guy who is the same age as I am weekly about this struggle he has we're both 35 and have been on this path only 7 years. This is a big mental switch for many. My main focus was aligning my wife and I to retire together and when her switch flipped in June with back to office inlet out a sigh of relief and will follow her in e weeks. 

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #1180 on: January 01, 2022, 11:14:49 AM »

I literally talk to a guy who is the same age as I am weekly about this struggle he has we're both 35 and have been on this path only 7 years. This is a big mental switch for many. My main focus was aligning my wife and I to retire together and when her switch flipped in June with back to office inlet out a sigh of relief and will follow her in e weeks.

I'm going through these exact emotions at the minute. Spent a very lovely and incredibly quiet Christmas at home. There has been no routine and that is fine, but I feel myself wondering if this will be it forever more. Saying that, I'd 2 emergency calls from work this week and it further cemented my resolve to no longer do this.

I'm 39, on this path since April 2013 and have been the quintessential workaholic for the past 13 years. Always focused on this goal.

Over Christmas and before, I've been putting time into thinking about hobbies, but almost without fail I immediately consider ways to make money from them. I'm not considering them for their real worth of my own enjoyment and personal development. Currently focused on

Learning Music Production
Health and Fitness (Cooking and Training)
Writing short novels and possibly a longer one

I also want to fully prioritise my family and I'm working on this. This time off has been great because of them and we've shared some great moments.

This change of life will be rewarding but it will require effort and focus.

The time has come!!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1181 on: January 01, 2022, 12:56:44 PM »
My current contract is up on 31 April and that is my pulling the plug date. 17 weeks to go.

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1182 on: January 01, 2022, 10:20:29 PM »
So my wife ended up pulling the plug back in September of 2021, primarily due to job dis-satisfaction than anything else.  So I guess that makes us halfway there?

I was planning to end my employment at the end of December, but I'll still be showing up at work on Monday.  Still planning for a 2022 date, but not sure exactly what day.  Probably no later than the end of May.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #1183 on: January 02, 2022, 03:49:38 AM »
So my wife ended up pulling the plug back in September of 2021, primarily due to job dis-satisfaction than anything else.  So I guess that makes us halfway there?

I was planning to end my employment at the end of December, but I'll still be showing up at work on Monday.  Still planning for a 2022 date, but not sure exactly what day.  Probably no later than the end of May.

Best of luck @2KidFIRE. My wife has been stay at home for a few years now and it has been a different but no less rewarding partnership. How has your wife adapted to the change? Embracing it or is it a challenge?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1184 on: January 02, 2022, 04:54:42 AM »

I'm going through these exact emotions at the minute. Spent a very lovely and incredibly quiet Christmas at home. There has been no routine and that is fine, but I feel myself wondering if this will be it forever more. Saying that, I'd 2 emergency calls from work this week and it further cemented my resolve to no longer do this.

I'm 39, on this path since April 2013 and have been the quintessential workaholic for the past 13 years. Always focused on this goal.

Over Christmas and before, I've been putting time into thinking about hobbies, but almost without fail I immediately consider ways to make money from them. I'm not considering them for their real worth of my own enjoyment and personal development. Currently focused on

I also want to fully prioritise my family and I'm working on this. This time off has been great because of them and we've shared some great moments.

The time has come!!

When I started processing thin in Feb I thought there needed to be something to do. I think that's incorrect and will retire with very little structure or a hobby I'm going to do. I took 12 weeks off to test retirement this summer and I didn't have many dull days. Something always comes up and I get to say yes alot more to things that are fun than I would have if I were working still

MagneticNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1185 on: January 02, 2022, 01:04:13 PM »
Thanks @RainyDay for starting our retirement list! I'm planning for late April, and I'll be 36.

It is terrifying, and like many here, I'm sure, I've got an inner success-motivated, ambitious part of myself that thinks this is ridiculous - I'm on track for getting the next big promotion/title-bump at the end of 2022; I'm making more money every year than I ever did before; on paper my job is a great one that I'm lucky to have.

But there's a part of me that feels more real - and certainly more immediate - that just can't do it anymore. And I'm lucky enough to have been on the FIRE path long enough that I really can quit this year, so I'm going to do that and see how it goes. I've also got too much planned already for my first few months post-FIRE: I'm going to hike about half the PCT, see all my family, get back into several hobbies I don't have enough time for, and finally get all the house-repairs and house-work done that have been on my backlog.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: January 02, 2022, 07:37:59 PM »
So a almost a decade ago I came onto these boards (yikes, where has the time gone?!?!) and somewhere I had listed myself in the 2022 thread. It must have been when I absolutely hated my job!

But I no longer do. I love it in fact. And my stache has grown beyond where I ever thought it would. So if I'm on the 2022 list* somewhere, you can remove me.... I'm FI (at 35), but I've got no intention of retiring early right now. Maybe that'll be re-evaluated in a few years if my investments continue to do well.

* I do expect that list of names a few posts above will grow - if your American "Great Resignation" has any truth to it.

The time has come!!

When I started processing thin in Feb I thought there needed to be something to do. I think that's incorrect and will retire with very little structure or a hobby I'm going to do. I took 12 weeks off to test retirement this summer and I didn't have many dull days. Something always comes up and I get to say yes alot more to things that are fun than I would have if I were working still

This is how it is meant to be @boarder42! Because things will now come up that you may never even have had the previous brainpower to consider before.

Exciting to look forward to!

RainyDay

• Bristles
« Reply #1187 on: January 03, 2022, 05:23:20 AM »
A few updates to start the year off!

Boarder42               1/19/2022  (leading the charge!)
Much Fishing to Do  end of Feb 2022
friedmmj                end of Feb 2022
Mr. Dicey                Mar 2022
NearlyThere            Mar/April 2022
Holocene                4/1/2022
lollylegs                  mid-April 2022
Magnetic North        late April 2022
mspym                   4/31/2022
2Birds1Stone          5/1/2022
2KidFIRE                end of May 2022
Playing with Fire UK May/June 2022
ToughMother           June 2022
Bownyboy               Aug 2022
the_gastropod         mid-Sept 2022
frizzywhiskers          9/30/2022
slowroadtofreedom  Nov 2022
RainyDay                Dec 2022
TomTX                    OLY from 2023?!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:26:34 AM by RainyDay »

2KidFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1188 on: January 03, 2022, 01:31:17 PM »

Best of luck @2KidFIRE. My wife has been stay at home for a few years now and it has been a different but no less rewarding partnership. How has your wife adapted to the change? Embracing it or is it a challenge?

I'd say it's been an... adjustment.  I think that she's felt more comfortable since I'm still working than she would have if I'd also stopped at the same time.  Overall she's been way less stressed, and had time for projects like organizing the garage that have been on the list for a long time.

On the other hand, I think she also feels a bit adrift when it comes to what to focus on.  She's still debating whether she wants to go back to work at something, she just doesn't know what.  Preferably something that pays well, with flexible hours, challenging work, and lets her take the summer off for travel with the kids :D  We'll see how the next few months go, especially as we get closer to my leaving my own employment.

MisterA

• Stubble
« Reply #1189 on: January 04, 2022, 06:30:38 AM »
Preferably something that pays well, with flexible hours, challenging work, and lets her take the summer off for travel with the kids :D
Happy New Year everybody, this is our year, all of us!

@2KidFIRE if your wife finds anything that meets these criteria, please share it with us, that's quite appealing to me as well!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1190 on: January 04, 2022, 06:40:00 AM »
T minus 24 hours til I blow my bosses mind?  Haha feel like he knows but maybe not.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1191 on: January 04, 2022, 08:28:03 AM »
T minus 24 hours til I blow my bosses mind?  Haha feel like he knows but maybe not.

Good luck!  Have you worked out your talking points or just going to wing it?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1192 on: January 04, 2022, 08:46:38 AM »

I'm a wing it kinda guy. I have some ideas but all in all I'm not disgruntled and my boss is already aware of my feeling around most of the company policies I disagree with.

Just planning to use the term retired not resign and see where it goes.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 08:48:51 AM by boarder42 »

Vashy

• Bristles
« Reply #1193 on: January 04, 2022, 09:12:34 AM »
Following this board for inspiration (I'm in the 2025 cohort). You can do it!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #1194 on: January 04, 2022, 09:19:49 AM »

I'm also curious how this encounter goes. What is your strategy?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1195 on: January 04, 2022, 10:09:53 AM »

See above. Not much strategy.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1196 on: January 04, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »
Just gave word to HR about my retirement.  Will be done by end Feb woohoo! 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1197 on: January 04, 2022, 02:13:51 PM »

I mean what strategy is necessary in these situations. I'm planning to leave I'm telling them I'm leaving I'm not attempting to sway them to give me an offer that I can't refuse.

Guessed I'd be interested in what people's thoughts are on that.  I'm texting my boss at 730am bc he is typically in by 8am that Im.in office and would like to swing by to discuss something when he gets in. Technically my bosses boss. So if he blows it off my actual boss appears to have time so I'll go tell him and that will likely clear up the big guys schedule to talk bc my boss has no power to try to keep me and can just ask questions that I'll answer similarly. Time with family travel blah blah blah.

swaneesr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1198 on: January 04, 2022, 02:45:00 PM »

I mean what strategy is necessary in these situations. I'm planning to leave I'm telling them I'm leaving I'm not attempting to sway them to give me an offer that I can't refuse.

Guessed I'd be interested in what people's thoughts are on that.  I'm texting my boss at 730am bc he is typically in by 8am that Im.in office and would like to swing by to discuss something when he gets in. Technically my bosses boss. So if he blows it off my actual boss appears to have time so I'll go tell him and that will likely clear up the big guys schedule to talk bc my boss has no power to try to keep me and can just ask questions that I'll answer similarly. Time with family travel blah blah blah.
I don’t see a strategy needed but do you think an email to your boss with your planned retirement date is needed?

I think a formal communication in writing is needed stating date and retirement.

Swanee.

Edit- looks like the retirement part not needed if you are only age 37. I may be over trained by MegaCorp in careful communication. What needs to be formal and what should be an informal communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 02:55:09 PM by swaneesr »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1199 on: January 04, 2022, 03:05:13 PM »

I don’t see a strategy needed but do you think an email to your boss with your planned retirement date is needed?

I think a formal communication in writing is needed stating date and retirement.

Swanee.

Edit- looks like the retirement part not needed if you are only age 37. I may be over trained by MegaCorp in careful communication. What needs to be formal and what should be an informal communication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a formal letter written that will be handed to my boss and then emailed to him and HR per company policy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!