Author Topic: 2022 FIRE cohort  (Read 403859 times)

friedmmj

• Bristles
Re: 2022 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1000 on: July 22, 2021, 11:49:32 AM »
I feel like I'm living in a sort of suspended animation waiting for the doors to freedom to open.  It's really strange trying to plow through daily work life without any desire to perform or achieve.

I so relate to this!  I've been in the same industry for 15+ years now and while my job isn't "bad" and the hours are actually very reasonable compared to what they have been in the past, I'm just so done.

The biggest difficulty I'm having with this is that I feel like I'm hanging out at a party too long and it's getting awkward.  When I was a younger man, I used to see middle aged dudes in the org taking up space and kind of resented them.  Now, I'm that guy and it doesn't feel good.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1001 on: July 22, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »
I feel like I'm living in a sort of suspended animation waiting for the doors to freedom to open.  It's really strange trying to plow through daily work life without any desire to perform or achieve.

I so relate to this!  I've been in the same industry for 15+ years now and while my job isn't "bad" and the hours are actually very reasonable compared to what they have been in the past, I'm just so done.

The biggest difficulty I'm having with this is that I feel like I'm hanging out at a party too long and it's getting awkward.  When I was a younger man, I used to see middle aged dudes in the org taking up space and kind of resented them.  Now, I'm that guy and it doesn't feel good.

At 54?  Thats kind of harsh, isn't it?  Its one thing to have people hanging around into their 70s (unless they are still really productive) but 54 doesn't seem like the age at which the younger folks would start to get resentful. 

Maybe my experience is just very different.  I’m in tech, but the megacorp for which I toil isn’t a “tech company” per se, and we have a pretty large percentage of people who have been with the company for decades. I never heard any griping when I was younger (at the same company) about anyone staying too long unless that person was really abusing the system and clearly retired-in-place.   

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1002 on: July 22, 2021, 02:33:45 PM »

At 54?  Thats kind of harsh, isn't it?  Its one thing to have people hanging around into their 70s (unless they are still really productive) but 54 doesn't seem like the age at which the younger folks would start to get resentful. 

Maybe my experience is just very different.  I’m in tech, but the megacorp for which I toil isn’t a “tech company” per se, and we have a pretty large percentage of people who have been with the company for decades. I never heard any griping when I was younger (at the same company) about anyone staying too long unless that person was really abusing the system and clearly retired-in-place.

At Very Techy Megacorp, I have heard folks shocked that the CEO can manage to retire in his early 50's. Uh, he gets a few million a year. Are you saying you couldn't figure that out?! I would hope these same people aren't whining about the 55yo individual contributor who hasn't been promoted in a decade because he is more of a worker drone than an innovator. But then, when have people ever been consistent?

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1003 on: July 22, 2021, 03:16:21 PM »

At Very Techy Megacorp, I have heard folks shocked that the CEO can manage to retire in his early 50's. Uh, he gets a few million a year. Are you saying you couldn't figure that out?! I would hope these same people aren't whining about the 55yo individual contributor who hasn't been promoted in a decade because he is more of a worker drone than an innovator. But then, when have people ever been consistent?

I had a coworker a few years ago that exemplified what you don’t want, which was that he was past retirement age and he had plenty of money but he stayed on for several years without actually doing any work.  He did truly take up a spot on the team that should have been filled by someone who was willing to contribute.  I’m still amazed that it was allowed to continue for so long until he finally retired. It was certainly no secret. Sometimes i found myself resentful of him and sometimes more resentful of the upper management chain that allowed it, because it really affected morale.  It was hard to motivate people, especially new people, when they could plainly see that there were no consequences for underperformance. 

That experience, along with a couple other examples I’ve seen over the years, does sometimes affect me now as I am approaching FI and possibly RE where I start to think, hey I can really let off the gas here and coast for a while just to see what happens... but I don't really want to be that guy.   Instead, I think I’m trying to find that sweet spot of putting in just enough effort to feel like I’m contributing but not breaking a sweat over any of it.  Haven't found it yet, but thats the goal.   

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1004 on: July 23, 2021, 04:18:18 AM »

My post was poorly worded.  It’s not being 54 that’s the issue.  It’s more that retired-in-place phenomenon for me as you described it.  I realize this is a choice, but I’m really struggling with motivation these days and I have some golden handcuffs that don’t come off til 2022.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1005 on: July 29, 2021, 07:19:26 AM »
Committing to June 1, 2022

This will be the second attempt at FIRE, since the first was thwarted by Covid-19. The rationale behind this date is growing income back to six figure levels by end of 2021, and then maxing out 0% tax space and retirement account space for 2022, additionally it would take attention away from a 1 year work gap in 2020. DW and I are going to be pretty austerely leanFIRE'd, but that's what keeps life interesting.

There is a small but very real chance that poor work conditions/economy forces one of both of us in OLY.

Looking forward to commiserating with y'all.

For a brief moment I got greedy and thought that I might do a OMY.......but after much thought, sticking to the guns here and pulling the plug in 10 months. We will definitely be on the very lean end of the FIRE spectrum for the first few years.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1006 on: July 29, 2021, 08:38:02 AM »
DH just this week started asking about what our tax situation is going to be like in retirement. Now that he has a handle on that, I think he is seriously considering leaving much earlier in 2022. I chose not to point out that from a purely numbers perspective, working through May, as planned, would have far more benefits albeit with more taxes.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1007 on: July 29, 2021, 11:24:39 AM »
Committing to June 1, 2022

This will be the second attempt at FIRE, since the first was thwarted by Covid-19. The rationale behind this date is growing income back to six figure levels by end of 2021, and then maxing out 0% tax space and retirement account space for 2022, additionally it would take attention away from a 1 year work gap in 2020. DW and I are going to be pretty austerely leanFIRE'd, but that's what keeps life interesting.

There is a small but very real chance that poor work conditions/economy forces one of both of us in OLY.

Looking forward to commiserating with y'all.

For a brief moment I got greedy and thought that I might do a OMY.......but after much thought, sticking to the guns here and pulling the plug in 10 months. We will definitely be on the very lean end of the FIRE spectrum for the first few years.

You've got a bigger stash now than when you RE’d the first time, and fewer years of retirement to fund, so seems like you’re in much better position.  Has your expected spending level gone up substantially from your first go-around?  Or did you always expect to come back to the workforce to top up the ol’ stash? 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1008 on: July 29, 2021, 11:42:05 AM »
@TempusFugit, definitely in a much better position! First time I pulled the plug NW was ~$535k individually, so knew I would have to go back to work for a few years since living on $18-20k/yr long term didn't sound appealing. Now that stache is $730k with another 10 months to grow it!

The pandemic definitely inflated prices for a ton of things we would like/need to spend money on during our FIRE. Namely housing (especially short term furnished rentals), supply chain issues spiked the cost of vehicles, bicycles, camping/outdoor gear, etc. This was obviously not planned, and our spending will be substantially higher due to the inflated asset prices. Hope there is some semblance of normal coming back soon, but worst case we go back to work for a bit in the future.

We'll only be 35/31 years old when we pull the plug this time!

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #1009 on: July 31, 2021, 04:18:07 PM »
Hello all!  I'm OMYing from the 2021 thread...  I'm 46 with a working partner and 2 young kids (youngest is starting school in September).  Planning hopefully a pretty fat FIRE so the OMY is driven more by life/psychology reasons than financial reasons (although I'm also a worrier, so more money is always good I suppose).

I had originally planned to go part time in 2020 and finish up in early 2021.  Well, Covid kind of put paid to that (I'm a consultant and in March we were worrying about/talking about making people redundant, and it felt irresponsible to be turning down new projects when it might mean somebody losing their job - so I didn't).

Being part time this year has been good (life saving really as the "pingdemic" in the UK has really put my childcare on a knife edge, and made even doing the 3 days a week I'm contracted for iffy at times), but a couple of old projects that I want to see through are entering their final stages and at least one of them will likely run through to Easter next year.  I've stopped taking on anything new that needs more than a few hours of my time, and I expect October-December to be pretty quiet ...  But between work and childcare I certainly don't feel at all "retired" now - so I'm setting my date tentatively for around May 2022 - at which point I'm going to totally stop, at least for a while, and see where life takes me.

I'm already feeling massively less burned out than last year.  But I haven't got that mental space that I really yearned for to pursue my own projects and just to let my mind wander and think about what I want the rest of my life to look like.  So I'm really looking forward to finally getting some of that space and time - at least by next year, and possibly a little bit this autumn/winter (Covid permitting!)

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1010 on: July 31, 2021, 04:59:01 PM »
Welcome to our humble cohort @LightTripper

Im sure all of us will face the OMY temptation soon enough. 

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1011 on: August 02, 2021, 06:57:00 AM »
I spent several hours over the weekend analyzing our household spending over the past 12 months.  I was disappointed that we're spending about $1500 per month more than I thought we were!  Now, I need to figure out if this is an anomaly due to some recent vacations we took or perhaps I need to go back and question the projected spending in retirement. 

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1012 on: August 02, 2021, 10:14:35 AM »
Unexpectedly joining this cohort. I had expected to be about 4 to 6 years years out, but due to the strong market and some recent changes at work, I have just reached my leanFI amount this week. I was out on a bike ride when I realized it and spent most of the ride in a bit of a daze as I began to slowly process it. I currently enjoy my job and, to be honest, am not mentally prepared to have the option to stop working. In that light, I intend to keep working and want to process a bit before making any decisions. I think that I will likely wait a month or two and then ask about reducing to half or other reduced time arrangement and see about adjusting project load to the "fun" stuff. This would smooth the mental transition, and allow me to coast to my full FIRE target.  Updates to follow as I process and sort this all out.

What percentage of your full target are you at?  What's the new projection on hitting that if you keep working full time?
At full time, it will likely fall in the end of 2022 if the market keeps doing what it's doing. That type of projection is probably pretty optimistic though. I'm about 75% of the target. I have a high savings rate, but compounding is doing a lot of the work at this point, as would be expected nearing the stache target.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #1013 on: August 03, 2021, 03:29:28 AM »
Thank you @TempusFugit!  I am going to try really really hard not to make it TMY!!!  Although thinking about it, I'm sure at one point I probably thought I would be done by the end of 2020....

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #1014 on: August 03, 2021, 12:56:52 PM »
Unexpectedly joining this cohort. I had expected to be about 4 to 6 years years out, but due to the strong market and some recent changes at work, I have just reached my leanFI amount this week. I was out on a bike ride when I realized it and spent most of the ride in a bit of a daze as I began to slowly process it. I currently enjoy my job and, to be honest, am not mentally prepared to have the option to stop working. In that light, I intend to keep working and want to process a bit before making any decisions. I think that I will likely wait a month or two and then ask about reducing to half or other reduced time arrangement and see about adjusting project load to the "fun" stuff. This would smooth the mental transition, and allow me to coast to my full FIRE target.  Updates to follow as I process and sort this all out.

What percentage of your full target are you at?  What's the new projection on hitting that if you keep working full time?
At full time, it will likely fall in the end of 2022 if the market keeps doing what it's doing. That type of projection is probably pretty optimistic though. I'm about 75% of the target. I have a high savings rate, but compounding is doing a lot of the work at this point, as would be expected nearing the stache target.

It wont hurt to go say +20% over your target.  Will give you a lot more wiggle room should the markets slide or you have unexpected costs.
fire is all well and good but if you have the chance now to earn money quickly then do it and build extra in a short space of time.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #1015 on: August 03, 2021, 05:02:18 PM »

It wont hurt to go say +20% over your target.  Will give you a lot more wiggle room should the markets slide or you have unexpected costs.
fire is all well and good but if you have the chance now to earn money quickly then do it and build extra in a short space of time.
agreed. I am having trouble deciding where the target between peace of mind, freedom, and the OMY trap is. Shifting to a coast strategy may help with that. Or just doing what I can to improve job satisfaction (which is generally good right now) to have that be rewarding in the interim.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1016 on: August 05, 2021, 08:31:13 AM »
OTOH, I think a lot of us overestimated our spending in retirement. I had planned for 80k after spending about 90-100k while I was working, and although it's still early, we're spending closer to 60-65k. I think it could go even lower once we figure out how we really want to spend our time. It is also really tough to switch from a saving mindset to a spending one. Haven't figured that one out yet, either.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1017 on: August 05, 2021, 08:41:14 AM »
OTOH, I think a lot of us overestimated our spending in retirement. I had planned for 80k after spending about 90-100k while I was working, and although it's still early, we're spending closer to 60-65k. I think it could go even lower once we figure out how we really want to spend our time. It is also really tough to switch from a saving mindset to a spending one. Haven't figured that one out yet, either.

I hope you are right!  These days I am worrying much more about possibly underestimated spend than I am worrying about my investments.  I plan to get a lot more focused on spend although I very much do not want to adopt a miser's mentality.  I have two kids ages 19 and 21 still living with us but confident they are on a trajectory to becoming independent soon.  That should drop our spend down maybe $500 to $1k a month between food, car insurance, etc.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1018 on: August 05, 2021, 09:43:35 AM »
We have paid off our (bay area, VHCOL) mortgage, which is an exciting step in our FIRE plans. It's not for everyone, but I wasn't comfortable quitting until we had that off our plates.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1019 on: August 05, 2021, 10:34:49 AM »
We have paid off our (bay area, VHCOL) mortgage, which is an exciting step in our FIRE plans. It's not for everyone, but I wasn't comfortable quitting until we had that off our plates.

It's certainly a good feeling to free up that cash flow.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1020 on: August 05, 2021, 10:36:05 AM »

It's certainly a good feeling to free up that cash flow.

Yep, we are counting down the months to the end of our lease, when we get to move back on board our boat!

bownyboy

• Stubble
« Reply #1021 on: August 06, 2021, 01:18:41 AM »
Morning everyone!

I've graduated from the 2021 thread due to OMC (one more contract syndrome). I'm 48, wife is 56. Been on the FIRE path for 10 years now. Based in UK, DINKs.

Was due to finish up at the end of this month, but with Covid still throwing a spanner in the works for our travel plans, decided to take a contract renewal that my existing company offered (work in IT, surprise surprise!).

With a good stash comes leverage, so negotiated a month off between the contracts and moving down to a 4 day week (will most likely take odd days off during the week as well to make a mix of 3 and 4 day weeks).

This extra income will be put towards some home improvements and also towards our travelling experiences.

Plan is to rent out our house for at least a year and slow travel through South East Asia, Oz / NZ, Central America and Europe.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1022 on: August 06, 2021, 04:09:46 AM »
Just checking in. FIRE is still on track.

Fitness regime failed. I tried to relaunch last weekend but long hours of work and late nights watching Olympics meant I have done nothing all week again. I will get out tomorrow, but once a week is not going to cut the mustard.

I am finding it very difficult at work at the moment motivating myself when the end is coming fast.

My employer is making long term plans involving me and it’s hard to keep my mouth shut about my plans. I am typically a very open person and over share. On this occasion I need to keep my mouth shut as there is a lot of cash on the line if I can get to March next year. I am sure any hint from me of leaving and I won’t see a cent of those bonuses. Not that it really makes a difference to my ability to FIRE, but I want what I feel I have earned.

Plans for post FIRE life are firming up. It will be so awesome to have the freedom.

It still feels mildly ridiculous I am quitting a high paying job so young (ok not young compared to many here as I’m 49) rather than piling up money through my 50s and maybe even 60s. I really hope 20 years from now I’ll look at how we spent the first 20 years post FIRE, and compare it to what life would have been like sitting in an office cubicle, and just smile.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1023 on: August 06, 2021, 06:13:20 AM »
One of the trends I've been seeing on the boards is people in their 50s being canned this year. I know of at least three I follow. In my case, there were four of us reduced, and at 50 I was the youngest.

Especially in IT older workers tend to make more, so companies see a way to save more by cutting them and when hiring restarts, offshore or hire younger workers. Better to go out on your own terms than wait for them to cut you. Contract workers this is more transactional though, and having done that for years, I actually found it more stable. No better security than good job skills!

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1024 on: August 06, 2021, 12:07:09 PM »
One of the trends I've been seeing on the boards is people in their 50s being canned this year. I know of at least three I follow. In my case, there were four of us reduced, and at 50 I was the youngest.

Especially in IT older workers tend to make more, so companies see a way to save more by cutting them and when hiring restarts, offshore or hire younger workers. Better to go out on your own terms than wait for them to cut you. Contract workers this is more transactional though, and having done that for years, I actually found it more stable. No better security than good job skills!

Historically, my megacorp has gone the route of voluntary buyouts when they decide to trim away some of the higher paid (=older) people.  The last one was just a couple years ago, so probably nothing coming around soon, but it would be pretty perfect if a could get that kind of exit.  A layoff would be less good, but still could work out well depending on the timing.

Anyone in this cohort would probably be in pretty good financial shape if they faced a layoff (with severance), but The reality of which you speak just goes to show how important reaching FI is regardless of any RE plan. I’ve lived through layoffs and saw how devastating it was to the financially unprepared. There was one friend of mine who was already on the cusp of retiring when the layoffs hit back in 2009 and he had a wide smile on his face when the manager called him in to talk to the HR reps about his layoff package.  He probably walked away with a 50K retirement bonus due to good timing.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1025 on: August 06, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »
I would be thrilled to be laid off.  I wish it would happen immediately in fact.  I would likely receive an 18+ month severance along with full medical bennies,

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #1026 on: August 06, 2021, 01:18:08 PM »
Getting laid off would be great. I had been hoping for this at the end of this year as we are currently being restructured but I'm doubtful now that it would happen for my position now.

We met with the financial planner yesterday & though we still have more numbers to crunch it looks like we are on track with our plan.  It's kind of a surreal feeling. Its becoming more real and I can't wait :)

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 06, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »
Of course, if being laid off is brought about by a tough recession and concomitant bear market, everyone's numbers aren't going to look so good and I'm sure it would be an unpleasant experience. 

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1028 on: August 06, 2021, 04:34:14 PM »
Of course, if being laid off is brought about by a tough recession and concomitant bear market, everyone's numbers aren't going to look so good and I'm sure it would be an unpleasant experience.

I am 110% committed to leaving in Feb so a layoff would be a tremendous benefit in any case.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1029 on: August 07, 2021, 06:30:40 AM »
Hello everyone, I'm throwing my hat in this ring for Feb 18, 2022.  Here's what I just posted in my original 2020 cohort that explains where I'm at....

So just to come clean I'm joining the 2022 cohort as my place here didn't really work out like I thought it would

I've been listed in this thread as:  "Not fully FIREd, but partly.....05/01/20  Much fishing to do  Working PT from home occasionally".  My hours (I'm paid hourly) had reduced so much at that point I definitely felt over half-FIREd.  But in late 2020 the work for my team REALLY picked up, and so did the hours needed from me to manage to moving parts and get all the work done (before then I could pretty easily pass off most work to my very experienced direct reports, and again given I am only paid for the hours I work as long as the work got done and deadlines met that was just fine for everyone).  2021 has been very busy, and all of the sudden I found myself working 30-40 hours weeks again.  Last month as I was arguing some stupid point with a client and getting no support (well, worse than none) from management, while fighting with some stupid computer I was so tired of looking at, I realized I was DONE and needed to rip the bandaid off.

Due to all the revenue coming in this year, my incentive compensation from the year will be pretty significant if I see it thru to that payment (maybe $150k?) so that plus the another ~$150k from my normal pay over the next six months seems like a lot to pass up.  Plus this will have me FIREing as I turn 50, and the normality of retiring 'in my 50s' as I could say I like (and I think SAHM really likes, she's always been hesitant of extreme early retirement talk, just nervous as to how a family can live decades of a normal family life without income from working, but I've really seen that change over the past couple years as she's noticed my income, whether way down or up, just has no affect on our spending and relatively little on our networth movement, but really I think a lot of it has to do that retiring "in your 50s" is something that a number of people do do). 

Its gonna be a struggle if the hours do stay up that high and there are too many problematic clients/projects, so I admit I might not make it, but that's fine too.

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1030 on: August 07, 2021, 09:52:36 AM »
Welcome @Much Fishing to Do   

Yeah, I would really enjoy it if I could manage to have a little side job that only took 8-10 hours a week of my time.  I think working just a little bit every day or most days is the sweet spot.  But once you've been enjoying that model, I think it would be really annoying to go back to more of a full time commitment, especially once you’re FI. 

Over the years I’ve done some freelance work in addition to my full time corporate gig, something that was instrumental in building up my net worth since it coincided with the Great Recession and I was able to put that extra income into the market when it was much cheaper.  I did a little contract job in 2019 that wasn't particularly well compensated but I want to maintain that relationship to hopefully have a little bit of work when I leave megacorp.  I don't think I’ll need it for the money but more for the stimulation and the social interaction.   

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1031 on: August 08, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »
2022 seems like it will be close to our FIRE date so I'll join in! 

We are currently at 113k in investments and about 146k NW with a savings rate of about 65%.  Our FIRE number will be about 1M so we have a ways to go but there's nothing like a good challenge!  I figure if both of us keep working and getting raises this should be an achievable goal in 7 years.

If all goes as planned we could FIRE at the ages of 32 and 28.

Wow, after 6 years it's pretty fun looking back at this.  We are on track to hit 1M invested sometime in 2022 depending on how the market does as we are sitting at about 880k invested and 1.03M net worth now.  My wife just quit her job to go back to school and I'm making another job change.  We could probably change locations and FIRE in another area in 2022 but we love where we live and our focus now is more along the lines of finding meaningful work that we enjoy and allows us high amounts of flexibility.  It's funny how the less that I feel like we need money the more I don't mind working as long as it's on my terms.  So I guess in a way we will hit a form of FI in 2022 but no longer have plans to FIRE.   Probably just grow the stache to around 2M while doing enjoyable work and creating further flexibility until we want to change things up again.  It's the like the ultimate form of do whatever the F I want money.... And if that includes working or FIRE than so be it.  Interesting how things change and morph through life.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 05:49:42 PM by FIreDrill »

luckyme13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1032 on: August 11, 2021, 09:58:50 AM »
Hey gang,
I'm still hesitantly on board to pull the cord in 2022 but as I'm a planner does anyone know of a master to-do list of things I should get in order before I call it quits?  I have this itch right now to buy some good quality casual clothes and things like that while I still bring in my nice salary.  I plan to max out my 401k if I can by my May 2022 resignation but what else am I missing.  At this rate however I might resign at the end of December. 

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1033 on: August 11, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »
Hey gang,
I'm still hesitantly on board to pull the cord in 2022 but as I'm a planner does anyone know of a master to-do list of things I should get in order before I call it quits?  I have this itch right now to buy some good quality casual clothes and things like that while I still bring in my nice salary.  I plan to max out my 401k if I can by my May 2022 resignation but what else am I missing.  At this rate however I might resign at the end of December.

Do you have a 3-4 year plan on how you will fund your expenses?  Might want to get those into cash or short-term bonds.

Calvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1034 on: August 12, 2021, 01:58:53 PM »

It's funny how the less that I feel like we need money the more I don't mind working as long as it's on my terms.  So I guess in a way we will hit a form of FI in 2022 but no longer have plans to FIRE.   Probably just grow the stache to around 2M while doing enjoyable work and creating further flexibility until we want to change things up again.  It's the like the ultimate form of do whatever the F I want money.... And if that includes working or FIRE than so be it.  Interesting how things change and morph through life.

I've had a pretty similar path to what you described. I'm borderline FI now with about 1M invested and paid off house. At this point I have no plans to hard-stop working. I have my own low-stress business which does well and have been able to dial back to about 15-20hr/week with good flexibility.

So, my plan over the next 5 years will be to continue with the work I enjoy and focus more on investing in other areas of life. I'll still basically consider myself FIREd in 2022.

luckyme13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1035 on: August 13, 2021, 07:38:52 PM »
@friedmmj I do have a pretty good 3-4 year plan.  18 months of cash on hand (yes maybe too much but I sleep well) and my husband will also work for another three years.  So I just need to stay married and I should be good.  I joke but we are in a good place financially and personally.  We have also funded our child's 529 so he should be set up really well in the future.  Outside of that I feel like I just have to quit and see what happens but it is a little scary. I know with time I'll find my groove.  It's worth trying that's for sure. 

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1036 on: August 14, 2021, 10:35:58 AM »
@friedmmj I do have a pretty good 3-4 year plan.  18 months of cash on hand (yes maybe too much but I sleep well) and my husband will also work for another three years.  So I just need to stay married and I should be good.  I joke but we are in a good place financially and personally.  We have also funded our child's 529 so he should be set up really well in the future.  Outside of that I feel like I just have to quit and see what happens but it is a little scary. I know with time I'll find my groove.  It's worth trying that's for sure.

I've reached a similar conclusion.  You cannot pretend to control all possible outcomes because life is inherently random in many ways.  The option of continuing to work while safer economically would feel to me like giving up to fear in many ways.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #1037 on: August 15, 2021, 07:10:06 AM »
I lived in the 2020 FIRE cohort for a long time, having starting there when I was single. Then I got married (which was nice) but didn't let go of the idea of a 2020 FIRE for me. Then we bought a home together and I thought it would be nice for both of us to have enough to FIRE. Anyway, Nov 2020 (my vesting date for pension, est. FIRE date) came and went, and I just kept up the saving efforts.

After a lovely review of our situation yesterday, it appears we both can be FIRE'd by the end of this calendar year. That said, I'd like to finish the academic year next year (and that will improve my small pension a bit). My spouse is younger and needs a bit more time to figure out what they want to accomplish... But I'm ready to pull the rip cord, so count me in for 2022!!

@ToughMother

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1038 on: August 15, 2021, 03:38:22 PM »
I've only recently discovered this whole subculture of FIRE having stumbled upon MMM via his Tim Ferriss podcast interview.   I've been kind of obsessively running my numbers for a few weeks now to see if I'm potentially able to FIRE in the not-too-distant future and... I think I just might be!

I recently took the time to change my investment mix, moving out of some actively managed funds and into index funds.  I invested some idle cash.  I ramped up funding of a Roth IRA. 

Now 2022 is looking like it could be my year.   My struggle is going to be reducing my spending.  I've done a pretty good job (by normal standards, not by Mustachian standards) in the savings category and so I now have a 'stache of around 800K + ~140K home equity (remaining mortgage of 120K).  I have a savings rate of around 36% (low by Mustachian standards, I know).  My spending is about 50% discretionary (restaurants, mostly) but it will be a hard habit to break. 

I'm single w/no kids so I only have to support one person (so long as my mom's $ lasts for her retirement, which it probably will, fingers crossed).   

My spending goal for post-FIRE is around 47K/yr so I'm hoping to have my 'stache at the 1.2M level by 2022.  That seems to be where things are headed assuming average returns over the next 5 years (7%).  There's also a lot of fluff built into that 47K figure, so plenty of room to adjust if needed. 

So this is my one year post-iversary!*    How has the plan been going over the past year?  Well, let's see...

A couple of things from my initial post can now be revised.   First, my savings rate has improved.  At the time of my first post, I had approx a 36% savings rate. I ended 2017 with a 49% (post tax) savings rate and so far in 2018 I'm actually at 59% (I include mortgage principle in that calc).   So that's a win and works the needle in the FI sooner direction.  My spending has reduced just a little bit (maybe 8% so far).  I do plan to take a couple of short trips later this year, so that might get me closer to last years spending. 

My net worth has increased by $143K since this first post and I became a millionaire, which is also good.  That also works the FI needle closer to now. 

I no longer intend to pay off my mortgage in any hurry. I've read lots of the posts in these forums about the issue and the math seems to be solidly in the 'keep your mortgage' category.  Since I've got 12 more years on my 3.75%, I think I'll stay the course and just pay it off on the normal schedule.  I may move before then, anyway. 

Now that I am tracking my spending more closely, I have revised my target RE spend upward.  Now, I realize that there are many on the forums who rightly point out that MMM is all about finding sufficiency (nay, bounty) in low cost living.  I get it.  We bigger spenders are dragging up the average on the boards, but we're doing better than we would have without the MMM influence.  So while my 2017 self used 47K as my expected RE spend, I'm now looking for something more around 60K.  Frankly, healthcare costs have me a little freaked out.  Where I live, right now the ACA plan at the Silver level with no subsidies would cost me around 8K/year.  It's only going up.  I'm expecting to need 10-12K/year when I start my RE life.   Trying to predict this is almost pointless, but clearly all signs point to 'more expensive'. 

All in all, I see myself still on target for a 2022 RE.  I still extrapolate my stash will be somewhere in the $1.2-1.3M range at that point.  I have a small pension that kicks in at 60, which should reduce my WR by almost 1.5 percentage points. FIRECalc has me at 100% historical success with my current numbers.   

Will I have the guts to really pull the trigger in 2022?  I don't know. It's too far away to be real just yet.  Of course, 20% of my 5 year horizon from first post has now slipped into the past, and it didn't seem to take very long. 

I think my finances are pretty much in snowball mode at this point so the most important thing I need to be doing now to prepare myself for RE is finding new hobbies, interests, and friends that I can spend my time with post-FIRE.  I think this is the most likely stumbling block for me come 2022.  I couldn't retire today if I had the money, because I'm not mentally and socially prepared.  I've got to focus on getting that part in order.

Hope everyone else has made good progress on your goals for the past year and I look forward to the final stretch! 

*close enough

And here we are at my 2 year post-iversary!    Not sure what the correct gift is for that... 

I'm still using the $60K/yr number for spending post FIRE, which gives me a 96% fireCalc success rate for the 2022 time frame.   The poor markets last year brought that down from a projected 100% a year ago.  Noise, I guess.

My spend number obviously includes a great deal of discretionary spending.  My 'skinny' FIRE spending - which wouldn't require downsizing or ditching cable or eating only beans and rice or anything like that, is about $40K and my 'slim' FIRE number which would include more frills is about 50K. These levels are pretty much within reach right now, but I am aiming for a more 'husky' FIRE.   I think I keep up with these other lower FIRE levels just as a way to stay confident that if I lose my job for some reason before I decide to pull the cord, I don't have to freak out.  I can gauge the level of bullshit up with which I am willing to put at the corporate gig.  I can stay confident that my corporate overlords don't really have any power over me. 

2 years into my journey I now recognize that 3 more years until 2022 is not very long at all.

And here we are now at my 3 year post-iversary.   How the time has flown. Never have I related more to the old saying that sometimes "the days drag on while the years fly by." 

Financially, everything is actually ahead of schedule.  Two years ago I predicted that my stash would reach $1.2M by 2022, but in fact I reached that level last week.  I firmly believe that the current market is a bit of a mirage, so I think we are in for either several years of low/zero market growth or we are in for another big drop to get things somewhat in sync with economic reality.  I wouldn't have the cajones to RE using today's stash level as my 4% rule jumping off point. No way. 

My savings rate was a bit lower in 2019 than 2018, at 45%.  Income was pretty much identical to 2018 but I had some home and auto maintenance costs that took out a bite.

My current FIRE estimated spending levels are $57k/67k/87k for basic/comfortable/fat FIRE.  The 'comfortable' level is pretty much current spending + health insurance at non-subsidized rates.   When my stash has reached the point it can cover that level, I'll consider myself truly FI.   

So, what about FIRE 2022?  My gut tells me that I will probably not yet be where I want to be financially in just 2 short years, but who knows?  Every year, I adjust my targets upward and I'm sure that will continue. 

I'm also beginning to consider my housing situation.  I'm not sure I want to stay in my current home for the long term.  I'm not ready to move yet, but I know that obtaining a mortgage after FIRE can be problematic, so I may have to come to a decision on that front in the next year or so.  My car is.. well, it isn't going to last forever.  It cost me about 3K last year in repairs / maintenance and my threshold for seriously considering a replacement is when I no longer would consider driving my car on a multi-hour road trip.  That time has arrived.  I don't have any road trips planned in my immediate future, though, so I have some breathing room. 

How is everyone else doing on the 2022 FIRE goals?

4 years now.  Wow. 80% of the time since my original post now gone.  My goals have shifted over those years, as I mentioned in last year's anniversary update.  Since that update, my stash has grown by over 300K and my total net worth is pretty close to $2 million if I include the value of my smallish pension.

My spending in 2020 was just a tad lower than 2019 due to COVID.  So far this year, I think my spending is about the same, but that is in part due to a mortgage refinance that is saving me a few hundred dollars a month to offset my higher spending in other areas.  I guess I'm also saving some money on gas, since I'm not commuting to the office, but that really wasn't a very big expense, probably saving me about $50/ month. 

I'm still convinced that we are riding a huge bubble in the markets, including home prices, equities, and bonds.  Of course, I've thought that for years, and we're still riding it, so who knows what 'normal' even is anymore? 

On the purely financial side, the numbers appear to show me at FI now.  My average annual spending over the past three years is pretty much exactly 4% of my stash.  Since I will need to purchase health insurance when I retire, I adjust upward my anticipated spending by the price of a silver level ACA plan without subsidies.  I also have to account for some taxes which I will incur doing Roth conversions for feeding the pipeline.  On the other hand, I have a small pension that will kick in which should reduce my withdrawal rate by about a full percentage point when the pension starts paying.

At the market lows last year when the S&P 500 was at 2300, my stash would still have supported a 40K WR, which is still plenty to actually pay my bills, so that's a comfort. 

As to the emotional and psychological aspect of RE readiness, I'm still behind on that front. I have to build up a life outside of work. COVID isn't helping, obviously. I'd like to do a little travelling later this year but we will see what the state of the pandemic is when we get to the fall.  I'm cautiously optimistic that the wave we're seeing now will abate in most of the country within the next 4-6 weeks which should allow for a quick trip down to New Orleans to enjoy the cooler weather.

I think I've lost some ground on the health front this past year.  Nothing major, just a few (5) extra pounds and maybe a bit more alcohol consumption.  It's quite hot in my part of the country this time of year, so biking and running is a bit less enjoyable, but I still make myself do it a few times a week.  In fact, I plan to go for a ride as soon as I post this update. 

How do I feel about 2022 as the year I RE?  I'm still very much on the fence.  I want to be in a position of confidence that I could RE.  I think I will hire a financial planner to work with me on a withdrawal plan and review all of my numbers just to have a sanity check on things like taxes and RMDs.  It's all fun and games when I'm just daydreaming about RE and the 4% rule, but it's time to get serious about the nuts and bolts of a drawdown strategy and uncovering any gaps in my understanding of how all this stuff is going to work.

My job certainly isn't horrible by any stretch, especially in the work-from-home era in which we find ourselves.  I appreciate my job. I work for a good company with good benefits.  But I'm just tired of it.  I'm done with conference calls (which are independent of the COVID era, since so many of our team members are in India).  I'm done with the stress of supporting vital systems that impact tens of thousands of people across the world in any outage.  I'm tired of being on call.  I'm tired of working around the same aspect of my industry for so long now. Same shit, different day. It wears one down.

If I hit my financial goals next year and I have a solid plan that tells me I can afford to leave my job and never work again, I think I'll at the very least try to take a sabbatical for a few months.  I may also look into changing my role significantly at my company, and work in an entirely different area just to shake things up.  I might ask about going to part time.  None of those things may be an option, but if I've got my plan ready to go I think I'll have the confidence to push for something.  I may also leave my corporate job and look into focusing exclusively on freelance work for a few hours a week. I may truly RE and see how it goes. Being FI is about freedom. I want to take that freedom out for a spin and see what she's got. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1039 on: August 21, 2021, 08:32:05 PM »
DH is having discussions with management to transition to a 50% role. As they start planning for 2022, he let his manager know that he plans on leaving about half way through. Manager panicked and looked into part time options immediately, so now there is a meeting with manager's manager set up for this coming week. If it means he can keep RSUs, he may transition immediately.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #1040 on: August 28, 2021, 01:50:25 AM »
I've had my first 'last' time thing happen this week, I just paid my professional indemnity insurance for the last time.

I also contacted two clients that I do some occasional consulting for and notified them I no longer do consulting, then I canceled my accounting program subscription.

Work is really stressful at the moment & I'm doing a lot of extra hours. But it's different now knowing I could actually just leave if I want to, I feel more detached from a lot of the drama. Can't wait for 2022 to get here!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1041 on: August 28, 2021, 09:03:50 AM »
If the stars align and Q1 commission get's paid out on time, we're out in exactly 8 months (35 weeks)!

I'm tempted to buy our flights to Europe just to make it feel more real.......

MagneticNorth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1042 on: August 28, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »

Congrats on only 8 months!

I'm looking forward to retiring at just about the same time, and I've started browsing airbnbs in places I love to see if I can find any great shoulder-season deals for late spring to celebrate being free to travel whenever we can afford to instead of carefully planning the single 1- or 2-week summer vacation.

My spouse bought a bike that is back-ordered until april as a "retirement" gift for themself to replace their old one and celebrate a summer - and a life! - full of as much biking as we want.

Anyone else making plans already for how to kick off the rest of your life after the full-time work chapter closes?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:39:03 AM by MagneticNorth »

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
  • C:。ミ
« Reply #1043 on: August 28, 2021, 09:50:24 AM »
It's been a while since my last check-in here and lots has happened. I wrapped up my gig in Asia with a parting bonus equivalent to 5 months of salary! I came back to the USA in April with no job and no home. DW and I have been visiting/staying with our parents, which makes everyone happy for a while. But eventually, we started feeling like it's difficult having no home and always being in someone else's space. On the positive side, I can say that I had a mini-RE for four months this year. (Please don't kick me out. XD)

The plan as of the end of 2020 was for DW to work because she wants to and for me to see if I could RE. Also, DW working gives us a lot of security. We can figure out what our expense rate will be in the USA. We've been gone for about six years and I feel uncertain as to whether or not we can live as frugally here as we have abroad.

As for me trying to RE, It's more of a mental challenge than a financial one at this point. I'm not the type who feels I need a job to keep myself busy. It's more that I'm fighting the desire to pad the funds so I can feel more secure.

Alas, after 4 months of that no home/up in the air feeling described above, I was feeling ready to add structure to my life. Also, travel possibilities are so limited right now that it makes sense to earn adventure money to spend next year. Finally, establishing some reputation in the contracting world would give me confidence I can step in and out of the working world as required and I think that's a way better insurance policy than padding my FI number by 20% for mental security.

Conclusion, I have found a contracting gig that seems like a great match for my skills. They're OK with me only wanting to commit to four months. It looks like I will be working for the rest of 2021. I'm probably set to RE in 2022 and I think I'm increasing my flexibility with this current gig, which is free insurance.

...whew, that ended up being longer than expected. Thanks for sticking with me to the end.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1044 on: August 28, 2021, 10:06:05 AM »

I'm looking forward to retiring at just about the same time, and I've started browsing airbnbs in places I love to see if I can find any great shoulder-season deals for late spring to celebrate being free to travel whenever we can afford to instead of carefully planning the single 1- or 2-week summer vacation.

My spouse bought a bike that is back-ordered until april as a "retirement" gift for themself to replace their old one and celebrate a summer - and a life! - full of as much biking as we want.

Anyone else making plans already for how to kick off the rest of your life after the full-time work chapter closes?

We have some unique plans for the upcoming year - spending two months with family over the 2021 holidays instead of the normal two weeks (yay remote work!), taking a cruise with my parents next summer.  But we are also considering a bon voyage party when we move the boat from Current City to New Home. Some days we plan the cheap version - sandwiches and sparkling apple cider on the dock. Some days we plan a band and catering.

Which one of those is actually closest to DH's official change in work status is still up in the air. His manager was quick to research possibilities to keep him part time rather than leaving completely, but others have been slower with the follow up meetings.

skip207

• Bristles
« Reply #1045 on: August 30, 2021, 05:28:15 AM »

We have been taking more local trips away to try and get back into the swing of travelling as its been a really long time since we did any.  We have done some expensive trips and some budget trips.  Just to make sure we have our numbers squared away - I think we do.  We have a month long trip booked for this year which is probably our final trip whilst still working.  I dont know if covid will effect that though.

Slightly longer term we are now looking at booking something for around November 2022.  Probably a 2-3 month adventure not 100% sure where yet - that will be our big reward for pretty much 25 years solid work.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #1046 on: August 30, 2021, 07:39:10 PM »

Retiring end Feb.  Ski trip to Park City UT beginning March then taking wife to Portugal end March into early April.  in May, I’ll be taking my 20 year old son on a 19 day, 14 city baseball road trip through the Midwest.  Tentatively planning a Fall trip to Italy.

blurkraken22

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The southernmost, shallowest, and smallest by volume of the Great Lakes
  • C:。ミ
« Reply #1047 on: September 01, 2021, 08:46:00 PM »
I posted this over in another "Race to" thread but seems like it applies here pretty specifically, having finished up the accounting for 2020 and looking at where I stand relative to my FIRE targets.  I'd like to hear what the rest of our esteemed cohort has been thinking this year. 

My spreadsheet has four FIRE levels defined:  Barebones, Lean, Comfortable, and Target (pretty fat).  These are obviously subjectively named, since truly barebones would be a much lower number than I'm using. I've passed the Barebones and Lean values and am closing in on my ''comfortable" number, which was already upwardly adjusted from what I projected 3 years ago when I started to actually think about this.   In fact, that originally projected number is now the one I use for 'barebones' LOL.  Guess that's human nature for ya.   My 'Comfortable' fire number is pretty much my average annual spend over the past 3 years plus full cost ACA silver health plan.  Once I hit that number, I will consider myself truly FI, though of course I could live quite well on what I've already saved.

If my YoY LNW stash increases by the same 18ish% in 2021 that it did this year, I'll be knocking on the door of my 'Comfortable' fire number with my 'Target' Fire number not far away from that.

Point being, I guess I'd better start getting serious about whether I'm going to actually 'retire' or maybe just change careers (financially risk free) or go part time (an outside chance of that being an option) or keep working a few more years to get really rich, or something else.  I had hoped and planned to start doing more outside 'fun' things this year and to expand my social circle - and I'd taken steps to do those things but then Spring happened and here I am sitting at my desk at home on the internet, wondering if 'retiring' would be good for me psychologically.  Of course, 2020 makes us all think a bit differently, I imagine.  I think I would be in pretty bad shape emotionally (and maybe physically) had I retired last year and found myself stuck at home with nothing to do.     

Sometimes I find myself thinking about coasting from here and starting to spend more on travelling and other experiences while I'm still banking coin from a job and just letting the stash do its thing without constantly feeding it from the contributions side.  This COVID experience probably has a lot of us (I should hope) reconsidering how long we are willing to postpone doing things we'd like to do. Planning to do those things only after I've hit some financial milestone and left the workforce seems shortsighted now.   

I need a year or two of non-COVID life to experiment with new activities and hobbies to see if retiring is the right thing for me.  Looks like (please, God) we are about to get through the COVID nightmare in the next few months and I'll have the chance to do that.

How about everyone else?  Have you been moving your target numbers like I have?  Do you feel like you will be mentally prepared to leave the working world in a couple of years?

I very unexpectedly passed my number in 2021. Unfortunately, I must also confess that I haven't been very diligent about doing my accounting, so I'm not 100% sure on my spend rate for the months I never got around to entering the data. But in two HCOL cities on two continents we were running an expense rate between $2,500-$3,000 for 2 people (after conversion back to USD). Moving back to the midwest, I was expecting to find rent prices appreciably lower than what we paid in those other cities, but that does not seem to be the case at all. I will admit that you get much more space here for similar money, but the minimum amenities DW requires will probably put us into a $1,200-$1,500 monthly rent. Just starting to hunt for apartments. On top of that, other things are more expensive than I remember from 2014 when we left the USA. I'm not convinced we will maintain our ideal $2,500 monthly spend, though I'm sure we could if forced. The options are: just wing it, increase the target number, or work for a bit longer until we have a permanent home and expenses get more predictable. For now, it feels safer to work a bit longer until we know our expense rate.

@2Birds1Stone I would like to know more about what you were doing in Europe. What parts? We're you there through the pandemic? I need to work on convincing DW that EU slow travel could be a great idea. She enjoys the holiday, but I think it's hard for her to not have a permanent home to go back to. When you're coupled, you'll probably have to increase the budget a lot if one partner wants a permanent home while the other goes to wander.

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1048 on: September 03, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »
Been FI for a while and technically have enough to pull the trigger now, but work commitments and too many excuses to earn more money have stopped me from committing to a date.

I opened up this thread and saw Jazzpolice idea of setting a 2-22-22 date and considering 22 is my favorite number and we're on page 22, this has to be a sign!

So after planning and talking about FIRE for 10 years I will finally set a specific target date.  I have been around the forums for many years but don't post too often, by putting this out there I hope it stops me from making any other excuse to keep working, life's too short!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #1049 on: September 04, 2021, 12:15:39 PM »
Been FI for a while and technically have enough to pull the trigger now, but work commitments and too many excuses to earn more money have stopped me from committing to a date.

I opened up this thread and saw Jazzpolice idea of setting a 2-22-22 date and considering 22 is my favorite number and we're on page 22, this has to be a sign!

So after planning and talking about FIRE for 10 years I will finally set a specific target date.  I have been around the forums for many years but don't post too often, by putting this out there I hope it stops me from making any other excuse to keep working, life's too short!
That’s a perfect date to FIRE!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!