Author Topic: 2021 FIRE Cohort  (Read 353343 times)

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
Re: 2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #600 on: October 19, 2020, 04:04:18 PM »
My boss is talking about promoting me, and whatever metrics I need to increase to be considered by the cabal that decides on these things. Lol. I gave up on the previous iteration of that a long time ago, because I'm not a political animal. And now, I really don't want a promotion. So I asked my wife to make me a calendar that I can hang behind my monitor, where I can cross off the days and look at it while listening to this guy on Zoom. I hope I can slack off enough to just miss the cut for the promotion.

FarFetchd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #601 on: October 19, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »
Just stopping by from the 2019 Cohort to offer encouragement to all of you.   2021 is almost here!  I remember those last few months well.  It seemed to take forever, but I also got a serious case of nerve jitters as the day got close. 

You've got this!  You've worked hard, and soon it'll be time to step through the door to the other side.  I can confirm that FIRE is absolutely fantastic.  You'll be there soon!

Thanks Trifele, it's really nice to see encouragement like that! I'll see if I can remember to do something like that in a year or two :)

Today was my first day at a new job, which, I know, kind of bizarre in Oct2020 for someone supposedly in the 2021 cohort. I want to give it the best shot possible at really "clicking" with the work to the point that I choose to stay a couple of years, so that I won't feel like I'm taking advantage (not to mention the fact that it would be great to have a job even more fun than not working). So, I guess that kind of puts me in "one more year" mode. But, while I am going to try, my instincts have me skeptical that there's any work in my particular area that will be fulfilling enough. I feel like it's >50% that I'm still 2021.

Also, dang, Lending Club recently announced they're going to stop offering P2P loan investing at the end of the year. My nice ML model + automated purchaser setup was running smoothly without maintenance for months at a time, and performing well and steadily - not even really dented by the pandemic so far. I had been relying on it to make it rational to have a mortgage without being 100% invested in stocks, not to mention being a fun hobby project. Hopefully retooling to switch to Prosper won't be too too much of a hassle (and that they don't also shut down as soon as I switch, lol).

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #602 on: October 20, 2020, 01:56:06 PM »
The roster is updated for everybody through post #631.  Please check it over and offer any corrections or updates you have.  Depending on how busy we are posting these last 11 weeks of 2020 this might be your last chance to update your information before it becomes Our Year. 

So far we have 61 folks here who will be FIRE in 2021 and 5 will OLY into 2020. 

Average age of 2021ers is 46.32 (based on those who provided an age at FIRE date).  2020 average age is 48.32 (so far).  2019 average age was 47.38.

NameAge (at FIRE)FIRE Date
AldiEarly 50s1/23/2020 OLY
CrazyIT563/13/2020 OLY
Mmm_Donuts3/20/2020 OLY
Marcher Lady499/30/2020 OLY
Zinnie 38 10/22/2020 OLY

Matz_70501/1/2021
123211/23/2021
Sultan58January
moneypitfeeder422/1/2021
texxan12/17/2021
MoStash532/21/2021
Buffaloski Boris562/28/2021
dreams_and_discoveries39February
ScreamingHeadGuy413/5/2021
TheContinentalOP55 3/19/2021
Chaplin473/23/2021
Tipster350604/30/2021
bluebelle4/30/2021
icebox92364/30/2021
Peter Parker4/30/2021
logjammin394/30/2021
LightTripper45April
mindfulrun43April
JoJoApril
ItalianGirl 5/1/2021
Geographer305/3/2021
gary341130April/May
WildJager35May
80Westy50May
Omglmg39May
wrightstuff55May
phildonnia506/1/2021
Sisto526/7/2021
YoungGranny316/30/2021
HumanAfterAll44June
mld33June
Ladychips557/1/2021
Nazar7/1/2021
CarolinaGirl50July
highlandterrier47July
Arbitrage438/1/2021
asauer43August
Well Respected Man569/10/2021
ospreyjp569/27/2021
frugalecon9/30/2021
GBRS36September
Farfetchd33 September
the_fixer4910/1/2021
damoOctober
Boyband37October
4tify54October
Money Badger5312/1/2021
Accountant0074812/23/2021
Bownyboy2912/25/2021
Ulysses Everett McGill5512/31/2021
dblaace60 12/31/2021
effigy9842December
WadimanDecember
lightmyfireJune-Sept
monarda61TBD
aethonan1332TBD
Mrs. Healthywealth42Summer
American GenXTBD
lemonlymanTBD
dswTBD
MoneyTreeTBD
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 03:04:50 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #603 on: October 21, 2020, 10:19:55 AM »
I have a meeting with him tomorrow...thinking about telling him.  We'll see how it goes.

Well, it didn't go. We had several things to cover and didn't have time to get into my retirement.  I'm going to try again next week.  Very anticlimactic!

So I told him (remember, my plan was to give notice in May...but my like of the new guy made me want to tell him now so that he has time to replace me with an external candidate instead of being forced to hire an internal candidate that he'd likely be stuck with).  And he said "I wish you hadn't told me." 

After laughing, I told him that I would be happy to pretend that I didn't.  No one (except you all!) need ever know.  I suspect we are going to talk about it each week for a while until he decides what he wants to have happen.  This should be fun...I need to pop some popcorn!

The best part for me is that no matter what he decides, I'm out...in just a few months!

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #604 on: October 21, 2020, 10:57:45 AM »
I have a meeting with him tomorrow...thinking about telling him.  We'll see how it goes.

Well, it didn't go. We had several things to cover and didn't have time to get into my retirement.  I'm going to try again next week.  Very anticlimactic!

So I told him (remember, my plan was to give notice in May...but my like of the new guy made me want to tell him now so that he has time to replace me with an external candidate instead of being forced to hire an internal candidate that he'd likely be stuck with).  And he said "I wish you hadn't told me." 

After laughing, I told him that I would be happy to pretend that I didn't.  No one (except you all!) need ever know.  I suspect we are going to talk about it each week for a while until he decides what he wants to have happen.  This should be fun...I need to pop some popcorn!

The best part for me is that no matter what he decides, I'm out...in just a few months!

Why would he not want to know?  I'm a manager and I would hug my folks for giving me that kind of notice!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #605 on: October 21, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »

Why would he not want to know?  I'm a manager and I would hug my folks for giving me that kind of notice!
Companies can have policies that come into place once you give you notice that are beyond the managers ability.

For example at my last company I gave my notice ahead of time due to my position and knowing I had a somewhat long vacation planned in the middle.

HR and my boss informed me that I would not be able to take vacation as company policy was once you gave your notice you were not allowed to use PTO or vacation time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: October 21, 2020, 11:59:46 AM »

Well, it could be because he is not sure they will replace me so it's a little bit risky for him to know  He is brand new and probably not feeling confident on the politics of things.  If he doesn't find out until May, my position is already in the budget and he will be able to fill it.  I also suspect it was such a shock to him that he just had a knee-jerk reaction.  I think as he considers it more, he'll make a good decision about how he wants to handle it.  I'm happy that I told him.  In my mind, it was the respectful thing to do.  And since I don't have any kind of interest in the outcome, it lets him make the decision that's best for him.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: October 21, 2020, 12:00:23 PM »
@the_fixer, I'd be beyond pissed if they wouldn't let me take vacation.  What did you do?

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: October 21, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
@the_fixer, I'd be beyond pissed if they wouldn't let me take vacation.  What did you do?
I told them my last day would then be the day I planned to take vacation so they got about a week of notice instead of 4 weeks.

It was a hostile environment once I gave notice to say the least including my manager threatening me and telling me I would be sorry, having HR tell me I would be sued if I did not tell them what company I was going to (I let them know it was not a competitor) but would not tell them the name of the company based on the threats. My old manager drunk dialed me several times per month for about 6 months threatening me and telling me I did not turn in all of my equipment.

Funny thing is when I first told him he begged me to stay, offered me more money and promotions as soon as I said it was not about that and I just needed a change it went sideways.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #609 on: October 22, 2020, 12:17:36 PM »
The clock is ticking, it's almost November and therefore almost 2021. Our Year.

I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens with the Supreme Court nominee and the election, which will inform my plans for 2021. If the ACA is dismantled, so are my FIRE plans. I will then have to wait, assuming I am able to keep my job with employer-provided health insurance, until I am 63.5, and can get COBRA coverage until eligible for Medicare.

I'm really tired, and am hoping this all works out because I don't know how I will make it until 63.5.

FarFetchd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #610 on: October 23, 2020, 05:52:11 PM »
I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what happens with the Supreme Court nominee and the election, which will inform my plans for 2021. If the ACA is dismantled, so are my FIRE plans. I will then have to wait, assuming I am able to keep my job with employer-provided health insurance, until I am 63.5, and can get COBRA coverage until eligible for Medicare.

I'm really tired, and am hoping this all works out because I don't know how I will make it until 63.5.

I don't know your situation, and don't mean to be telling you how to handle it based on no information, but my first instinct hearing that is that it sounds too pessimistic. Even if the ACA is gone, how bad could the monthly premiums get? If you would only have to pay ~3 years worth of them, couldn't you stay at the job just a few months longer (although I realize even that can be painful when you're so close) to save enough extra to cover them?

Another angle might be SWR logic. This is much easier to plan for than most aspects of FIRE: it's so short as to be almost instantaneous, and right at the start of retirement. What would happen to your calculations if you imagined selling enough stock now while the market is high to cover these expenses, maybe plus income from a month or two more work than planned? Being on the cusp of receiving Social Security, your absolute worst case should be safer than is possible in typical FIRE math.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #611 on: October 24, 2020, 07:20:07 AM »

I don't know your situation, and don't mean to be telling you how to handle it based on no information, but my first instinct hearing that is that it sounds too pessimistic. Even if the ACA is gone, how bad could the monthly premiums get? If you would only have to pay ~3 years worth of them, couldn't you stay at the job just a few months longer (although I realize even that can be painful when you're so close) to save enough extra to cover them?

Another angle might be SWR logic. This is much easier to plan for than most aspects of FIRE: it's so short as to be almost instantaneous, and right at the start of retirement. What would happen to your calculations if you imagined selling enough stock now while the market is high to cover these expenses, maybe plus income from a month or two more work than planned? Being on the cusp of receiving Social Security, your absolute worst case should be safer than is possible in typical FIRE math.

The main issue is the loss of ability to obtain insurance because of pre-existing conditions, and the premium smoothing inherent in the ACA design. I am 59 and by this age almost everyone I know, including myself, has something in our current health situation or medical history that would preclude us from eligibility. Without the ACA smoothing, which spreads some of the premium costs across the population, so that the younger healthier adults are paying slightly more and the older adults are paying slightly less in premium than they would be based solely on their individual risk profile, the cost would be very high. I could probably handle an expensive policy, but it wouldn't even be available to me.

I have many years experience in healthcare as well as health insurance. I have designed health insurance products. I have had a front row seat in the overall landscape and what happens when underinsured/not insured, and there is no way I would risk my entire life savings on one unforeseen medical event. Unless you are a gazillionaire you cannot self-insure. i also believe it is morally wrong to do so, because those unpaid medical bills create a cascade of costs that impact society.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #612 on: October 24, 2020, 03:34:28 PM »
@tipster350

Sad but true :(

texxan1

• Stubble
« Reply #613 on: October 28, 2020, 07:47:25 AM »
update on my fire date.... I beat my boss in the head enough times that he agreed i could leave earlier lol.... I wasnt pushing to hard, but just enough to get what i wanted... New FIRE date is Feb 17th..... T minus 58 working days left.....  Cheers

Oh and someone aboved mentioned giving companies plenty of time, well let me tell you my expereince in the last week since a date was finally chosen.... now mind you, i am going on under an Expression oF  Interest ( voluntary severance)....

The day my paperwork came in, first thing the company did was lock me out of all files and accounts.. Ones that i still currently need access to in able to perform my job lol..... so i told my big boss that i cant be of any help, since i cant get into my accounts... He doesnt even have enough stroke to get my access back..... second, they limited my email access to only a company network or read only access from my personal devices..... they even locked me out of the portal to file my MOC for departure from the company and HR is screaming at me to get this all done etc, but i cant lol.... So told them they would have to come to me, as i sure as shit aint driving to headquarters an hour away to sign one document...,,,

If filed a greavance, as they are 6 months behind in paying me Per Diem ( i work abroad 28/28) ... so that check should be over 10k.

Times a tough but its time to GTFO

Cheers

Tex

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #614 on: October 30, 2020, 05:43:32 PM »
My boss is talking about promoting me, and whatever metric.... And now, I really don't want a promotion. So I asked my wife to make me a calendar that I can hang behind my monitor, where I can cross off the days and look at it while listening to this guy on Zoom.

I feel ya! I have a similar calendar behind my monitors too. I was told about a promotion/position my chain wanted to hire me into, but I was usurped by an active-duty spouse, I didn't stand a chance unfortunately, my boss even called to confirm I wasn't somehow a disabled vet that I hadn't mentioned, just a vet. Promo would have been nice, but, couple more months...I just keep crossing them off :)

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #615 on: October 30, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
these last 11 weeks of 2020 this might be your last chance to update your information before it becomes Our Year. 

Hey ScreamingHeadGuy, please bump me to Feb 1 2021...I'm thinking I'll give my company 2 more weeks of putting up with me, lol. Thx!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #616 on: November 11, 2020, 07:16:39 PM »
I've got your dates updated @texxan1 and @moneypitfeeder

Because work's been going so awesomely lately I've been considering adding one month more (until March 5th). But then today's work happened and I'm now also considering bailing on January 15th.  When I'm working on "my" projects work is nice and tolerable, but when I get sucked into someone else's project (and have to deal with the crap-storm they've created) my job is really unlikable.

I was dreading the near future lately given the run-up to and fall-out from election season.  Then the ACA hearing at the Supreme Court yesterday made me feel a little more comfortable (maybe health insurance will actually be affordable for me post-FIRE!). 

The Top is in! 

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #617 on: November 13, 2020, 05:50:19 PM »
Sorry to hear about your work @ScreamingHeadGuy, and I feel ya. I'm finally (maybe) wading out of other people's crapstorms myself. I'm currently stuck trying to teach everyone on my team how to do what I do--partially remotely--uber fun using underpowered, no mic- or camera-enabled government computers. We've been making due by using gov computers, personal computers, and personal cell phones to get our telecon training live. I just commandeered my husband's laptop for the next training 'cause my laptop won't run the latest software that we are using. Fun times, fun times. 2121 is only 33 working days away!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #618 on: November 16, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »
Had another annual review...lots of questions about where I want my career to go from here (again).  I'm still trying to deflect, but dropping more hints about wanting to relocate to another area, and wondering about the possibility of part-time work after doing so.  The schedule is holding for now, but tons to do!  DW is getting more and more anxious about it - she's a creature of habit, and also one who avoids confrontations.  The thought of bringing it up to her work is very difficult for her, and she feels a lot of (undeserved) guilt about leaving, or even going down to part-time.  It reality, she owes them nothing - she basically runs the company, is drastically underpaid, and the family reaps rewards.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #619 on: November 16, 2020, 03:25:12 PM »
....she's a creature of habit, and also one who avoids confrontations....

This is also very much me.  If it's any comfort, my own transition out seems to have been met with calmness and civility so far (although admittedly my big boss has gone rather quiet since I suggested a 1 day a week base rather than 2.5 ... but really it is good for them as well as for me, given it's less commitment of cash).

It feels hard and weird though.  Does she have to give notice soon?  I would advise to try to think about it as little as possible until she actually has to do it, and then just spend an hour or two coming up with a form of words she is happy with and bite the bullet.

Mrs. Healthywealth

• Bristles
« Reply #620 on: November 16, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
Hi all,
Wanted to add myself to this cohort...it’ll hold me a bit more accountable to pull the trigger. I’m about to turn 42, my DS is 46. Will try to post our progress on here. Currently, we have about .60 x expenses in rental income, with another .25 x expenses coming in once we close on 2 more properties this month. Stocks/bonds produce about .25 x expenses @3.5 SWR. The net proceeds from sale of our house will let us buy a few more rentals, which will produce 1.6 x expenses by April. If I work the whole year it will decrease medical insurance when I hit 50 by another 4%, and add an additional $1800/yr to my pension. But, the anniversary is in December, not sure I’ll make it or that it’s even worth it. Currently, our pensions combined will provide .53 x expenses and only $200 out of pocket for great healthcare when I turn 50.

Goal: Retire with at least 1.92-2.56 x expenses from rental income-summer 2021. Cashflow from rentals and equities equals at least 2.56 x expenses. By 50, pension will kick in-0.56 x expenses, making total passive income equal 3x expenses-this will be enough for kid’s college, hobbies, slow travel, charity, and helping elderly family members if needed.

Plan during retirement: i got a job to do something I enjoy, but I’m reconsidering just doing nothing for at least 1yr. I accepted the job earlier this year, but didn’t realize that rental income will cover all our expenses and then some; then Covid happened and I’ve pushed my start date to end 2021. Will work with someone to help me actually quit current job and address any irrational fears that are coming up, like “this is too good to be true” or “no way, after all these years (8-9 years) of saving our brains out did we actually get here.” My DS will work 1-2 yrs to make sure all safety nets are in place. 

Hope all of you are doing great and congrats for getting this far!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 06:14:37 PM by Mrs. Healthywealth »

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #621 on: November 17, 2020, 03:56:54 PM »

This is also very much me.  If it's any comfort, my own transition out seems to have been met with calmness and civility so far (although admittedly my big boss has gone rather quiet since I suggested a 1 day a week base rather than 2.5 ... but really it is good for them as well as for me, given it's less commitment of cash).

It feels hard and weird though.  Does she have to give notice soon?  I would advise to try to think about it as little as possible until she actually has to do it, and then just spend an hour or two coming up with a form of words she is happy with and bite the bullet.

The tricky part is that we're aiming not to have her leave the company altogether, but rather to drop down to part-time and halve her responsibilities (while we simultaneously relocate to another area of the country).  In theory, that should ease the transition, but we'd like to get the arrangement ironed out before we start going to open houses and such.  Of course, the relocation itself is a big part of the angst for her.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #622 on: November 17, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »

The tricky part is that we're aiming not to have her leave the company altogether, but rather to drop down to part-time and halve her responsibilities (while we simultaneously relocate to another area of the country).  In theory, that should ease the transition, but we'd like to get the arrangement ironed out before we start going to open houses and such.  Of course, the relocation itself is a big part of the angst for her.
Yes of course!! Totally natural, but my guess is the anticipation will be worse than the doing. Fingers crossed!!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: November 18, 2020, 10:44:26 AM »
Updated my 401(k) contribution rate to frontload next year's contributions and max it out before I finish up.  Getting closer...

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #624 on: November 18, 2020, 11:23:41 AM »
Updated my 401(k) contribution rate to frontload next year's contributions and max it out before I finish up.  Getting closer...
Way to go, certainly time to start making moves to fill the buckets to take advantage of the final year

Set mine to 70% (as high as my company will allow) first year I can do catchup so should be filled end of May

Once that is done filling the HSA should be done mid June

Then both Roth’s should be early September

Gives me a month + of extra to set some money aside or to pay towards the final house payment

After that I can be done :)

texxan1

• Stubble
« Reply #625 on: November 19, 2020, 05:56:47 AM »

I plan on doing the exact same thing.... I am going 99% to 401k for first 3 paychecks, that should max my pretax out.. then go to 7% to get my co pay matcch and should be GOOD TO GO... Current date is Febuary 17th.... Too bad my severence isnt benefits bearing

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #626 on: November 19, 2020, 06:03:56 PM »
Joining the 2021 cohort officially!  Long-time lurker (since 2015, woot).  Giving notice in January, with flexibility on off-ramping (I'm a lawyer in a very narrow legal specialty, and don't want to cause mayhem on the way out).  I'll be 32.  DS is 34 and very part-time.  We're framing this as a 1-year "test run"/sabbatical thing, to allay my own anxieties (because of course financial independence must come with what-if-i-mess-everything-up-and-am-unhappy worries, because... masochism?).  Happy to be part of this delightful crew!

The 585

« Reply #627 on: November 21, 2020, 06:30:53 AM »
Finally time to join the cohort officially! Gave my 6-month notice earlier this month (distant yes... but requires international relocation back to the US) so my tentative last day is May 3rd, 2021. Already surpassed my coast-FIRE goal, so my plan is to take a funemployment break, maybe work part-time, OR do some world travel in low-COL countries. I'll be 30.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #628 on: November 21, 2020, 06:54:01 AM »
Welcome aboard @aethonan13 and @Geographer.  We are glad to have you celebrating with us (and bringing down our average age). 

@aethonan13 what’s the length of your notice period?  Or can/will it vary based on the “off-ramping” option?

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: November 21, 2020, 07:38:01 PM »
@ScreamingHeadGuy You guessed it -- depends on how (legitimately) desperate employer is.  Two months is kind of expected, and we've got someone on leave for a few months thereafter, so I'm open to doing some contract work for them to help ease the transition.  I also don't want to burn bridges if I don't have to (see previous post re anxiety about potentially regretting all my life choices for no good reason... I really enjoy having all bridges intact).  So we're talking either (a) rapid exit in February (5% chance), (b) mid-term exit in late-Feb/early-March (75% chance), or (c) two-phase exit leaving FT in March, doing contract work until June-ish (20% chance).

Not that I've been compulsively gaming out the possibilities or anything... ;)

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #630 on: November 29, 2020, 03:19:09 PM »
Well I have decided to change my date to extend into March.  That will let me max-out my 401(k) contribution for the year.  Of course, I totally reserve the right to cut out earlier for any (or no) reason whatsoever.

November sure was an amazing month for market returns.  Per ERN’s spreadsheet there is no need for us to worry about our pecuniary future (knock on wood). 

We had our circuit panel replaced this past month, which of course meant all of us work- and school-from-home folks had to vacate for part of the day.

I’m wrapping up a five day long holiday weekend and, like every time I have a longer-than-usual weekend I think to myself “Yes, I think I could do without work.”  Which really makes me wonder what the heck I’m thinking in my first paragraph. 

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #631 on: December 01, 2020, 06:49:27 AM »
Still on target for March 19th. Will probably make it official to my employer on the the first workday of 2021.

highlandterrier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #632 on: December 01, 2020, 07:12:32 AM »
Been having lots of fun telling people at work one by one that I'm leaving next year. One of the benefits of long-term WFH, the rumour mill doesn't go into action, and no big announcement necessary, just drip feed the joy to someone else every few days.

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #633 on: December 01, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
Six months to go! 

My wife has decided maybe to stay on at work for a short while.  She likes the work, but hates the people.  So working from home suits her fine as long as it lasts.

We're meeting with our financial advisor later this month to go over the details of post-retirement cash flow.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #634 on: December 01, 2020, 09:38:56 AM »
Happy December 1st! We have exactly ONE MONTH until we can say "I'm retiring this year".

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #635 on: December 01, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »
Happy December 1st! We have exactly ONE MONTH until we can say "I'm retiring this year".

+1

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #636 on: December 01, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »
Been having lots of fun telling people at work one by one that I'm leaving next year. One of the benefits of long-term WFH, the rumour mill doesn't go into action, and no big announcement necessary, just drip feed the joy to someone else every few days.

That sounds wonderful!

WOOT.  Feeling bouncy and (almost) free!  Fortunately I front-loaded work this year, so these last months are a glide to the finish... which is good, because my motivation is toast. :)

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #637 on: December 01, 2020, 04:56:21 PM »

That sounds wonderful!

WOOT.  Feeling bouncy and (almost) free!  Fortunately I front-loaded work this year, so these last months are a glide to the finish... which is good, because my motivation is toast. :)
[/quote]

I 100% agree, and my fun-meter has been pegged for months...I'm just trying to maintain enough give a s&*% to get to my finish line ( I would never actually do sub-par work though,  just trying to curb some of my inputs and letting some others take a hold of the reins) I've got 13 business days till I take 2 weeks-leave and then I only need to get through January, Whoot!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #638 on: December 02, 2020, 12:38:30 PM »
Looking increasingly likely that my RE will be more of a downshift + relocation (if my employer will accommodate).  DW was going to shift to part-time remote, but is getting so fed up with her job that she really wants a clean break.  With the latest stock surge, we're close to my planned number, but the blazing real estate market where we plan to move has been eating in to that number, such that we might not have quite the financial stability I was hoping for (was hoping that my equity in my current place would cover 100% of the new place, and it's looking more like we'll be $100-200k short). 

I'm strategizing out how to ask for part-time remote work myself.  We recently were asked on our remote work preference following COVID, and I indicated 100%...which may lead to the conversation on exactly why.  I'm thinking of framing it as "I'm planning to move in 6 months.  If possible, I'd like to explore options for remaining with the company after that time)." 

My company is non-profit, and I'm a valued contributor at this time, so I'm hoping for a positive response.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:42:45 PM by Arbitrage »

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #639 on: December 02, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »
2021 is almost here!

We have been having all of our open enrollment related benefits sessions at work, including the obligatory 401k meeting, which basically tells everyone how great it is to save in their 401K. Makes me sad how much they have to beg and plead and pull teeth to convince people to do what is in their own best interests.

I used that opportunity to boost my 2021 contributions to 90% of each paycheck (the highest percentage it will allow).

Doing so will enable me to max my contributions for the full year by the end of february.

Last time I bumped up my contribution percentage, HR had to have a chat with me and basically ask me "Uh, are you sure about this?" I'm anticipating another chat with HR where they need to confirm that I'm not out of my mind.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: December 02, 2020, 03:41:02 PM »
For what it's worth, in a very commercial organisation in London I have colleagues who have moved to Prague, Barcelona, Munich, Athens, New York and Sydney while remaining with our London team (a couple started an office but the others just worked remotely with London folks).  It generally works pretty well. Most of the Europeans do come to the London office occasionally (maybe a couple of days once a month?) in pre-Covid times just to keep in touch. They are all basically people who wanted to move for family reasons and we wanted to keep them so we made it work.

How would you feel about coming back for bits of time, if that was the deal? Like 95pc remote or something?

Sorry things are not working out with your wife's job, though it does sound like a clean break could do her a lot of good.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #641 on: December 02, 2020, 05:07:47 PM »
My attitude is in the toilet, and I have no more patience for BS. I need to adjust my behavior a little or I might be shown the door before my planned date! After four decades of playing the game I am 100% done. I don't know how I am going to hold on until 4/30/21.

It is a relief to only be concerned about doing a decent job with my current responsibilities. Four decades of always planning and strategizing and maneuvering to stay ahead of the curve, concerned about my marketability, keeping track of market trends, networking, keeping my resume tuned up at all times, is exhausting.

Kids, this is why you should save early and often and in large percentages.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 05:13:13 PM by tipster350 »

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: December 02, 2020, 05:28:18 PM »

How would you feel about coming back for bits of time, if that was the deal? Like 95pc remote or something?

Sorry things are not working out with your wife's job, though it does sound like a clean break could do her a lot of good.

I would be willing to come back on a very limited basis as you describe; in fact, it might be a likely request.  I work in the space industry, and supporting launches is part of the gig.  I can do a lot of that support remotely, but there is something to be gained by being on site. 

DW's job is just a downward spiral right now.  She's holding the entire company together while the family ownership/leadership is falling apart.  If there were any accountability, the CEO would've been fired ten times over. 

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #643 on: December 03, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
Looking increasingly likely that my RE will be more of a downshift + relocation (if my employer will accommodate). 

You can do it Arbitrage!  Consider it "chapter overlap" :)  I've been on the fence about that option as well... having options is a good problem, I guess!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #644 on: December 04, 2020, 07:56:37 AM »
Wow. 2020 is a weird one. Would love some feedback if anyone has a similar experience or thoughts.

I made this account partially as a joke. The numbers sort of lined up, but I didn't really want to "retire." I wanted to run my own small consultancy.

Covid hits, and I got laid off in March.

In April I filed my LLC paperwork.

I'm able to turn down clients I don't want, have business expenses for healthcare premiums and HSA contributions and both sides of employer/employee 401k contributions.

Meanwhile (for some reason) the market continued to go up. I'm comfortable with a 4% withdrawal rate at 2.5M. The market now has us at 2.7M invested, with about a year's cash in an emergency fund.

So... sounds like I'm actually retiring to my small consultancy. Or maybe I did in March? Feels very strange but exciting!

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: December 04, 2020, 09:39:53 AM »
I inadvertently retired in 2019 a full 2 years early. Long story short, I was in a car accident while on a business trip back in 2018 and never recovered. So now I've been completely off work since 2019 and my work comp will be ending when my retirement date hits. I don't plan to go back at this point. It's been a weird adjustment since I was not prepared to end early. The saving grace is that the accounts have done amazing even without me contributing. I'm sitting here cheering you all on. The time is very near for you all. Start your checklist now.

HumanAfterAll

• Stubble
  • Targeting 2021
« Reply #646 on: December 06, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »
Joining this cohort leaving the 2022 thread.  2020 taught the DH and me a lot about how well we were already doing and a recent discussion with our insurance guy relieved my fears about obtaining health insurance between 2021 and when we will be eligible for Medicare.  It’s both exciting and terrifying to be seriously considering going FI/RE in the summer of 2020.

Welcome to the cohort SheWhoWalksAtLunch!  Care to share what you learned about health insurance?

As for myself, I got all excited about a new job a couple months ago (potentially much higher pay), and the interview seemed great, but they ended up passing.  In retrospect it would have been locking me into another 2-4 years, and would have been stressful after the honeymoon period was over anyway.  That made me think about what I really want - a big chunk of extra cash for lifestyle inflation, vs. retiring as soon as possible.  So I've pruned one of the three branches in the decision tree (stay at job, stop working, find different job). 

We are at 91% FI right now, so another 10% market gain would get us to our number without any further savings.  My wife wants to keep working, and she can cover our expenses while still maxing our her 401k.  So our plan for 2021 is for me to max out all of my tax advantaged savings in Jan-Feb, give notice end of February, and be free end of March!  I might let them keep me part time a little longer to smooth the transition, because the group is understaffed and my role will be hard to fill, but I'll be putting up some big boundaries if that happens.  There are just enough people I care about and who I want to stay connected with, that I don't want to make a bad exit.

Looking forward to focusing my time & attention on my family (5yo and wife), having some alone time, hiking on weekdays, building stuff for myself, learning new skills, and having energy for family on the weekends!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:53:46 PM by HumanAfterAll »

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #647 on: December 06, 2020, 08:25:53 PM »
BOOM!  New page and getting ready for "OUR YEAR".  Please check the chart over and offer any corrections or updates you have.  The roster is updated for everybody through post #693.   

So far we have 71 folks here who will be FIRE in 2021 and 5 have gone OLY into the 2020 Cohort. 

Average age of 2021ers is 45.02 (based on those 50 members who provided an age at FIRE date).  2020 average age is 48.32.  2019 average age was 47.38.

NameAge (at FIRE)FIRE Date
AldiEarly 50s1/23/2020 OLY
CrazyIT563/13/2020 OLY
Mmm_Donuts3/20/2020 OLY
Marcher Lady4912/15/2020 OLY
Zinnie 38 10/22/2020 OLY

Matz_70501/1/2021
Sciurus1/8/2021
123211/23/2021
moneypitfeeder421/29/2021
goat_music_generator271/29/2021
Sultan58January
texxan12/17/2021
MoStash532/21/2021
Buffaloski Boris562/28/2021
dreams_and_discoveries39February
dividendman38February
ScreamingHeadGuy413/5/2021
exit2019 3/12/2021
TheContinentalOP55 3/19/2021
Chaplin473/23/2021
HumanAfterAll44March
Jack0Life ('s wife)March
Trede514/2/2021
Tipster350604/30/2021
bluebelle4/30/2021
icebox92364/30/2021
Peter Parker4/30/2021
logjammin394/30/2021
LightTripper45April
mindfulrun43April
JoJoApril
ItalianGirl 5/1/2021
Geographer305/3/2021
CoffeeR5/31/2021
gary341130April/May
WildJager35May
80Westy50May
Omglmg39May
wrightstuff55May
phildonnia506/1/2021
Sisto526/7/2021
YoungGranny316/30/2021
mld33June
sailingTowardsFI43June
Ladychips557/1/2021
Nazar7/1/2021
CarolinaGirl50July
highlandterrier47July
Arbitrage438/1/2021
asauer43August
Well Respected Man569/10/2021
ospreyjp569/27/2021
frugalecon9/30/2021
GBRS36September
Farfetchd33 September
the_fixer4910/1/2021
damoOctober
Boyband37October
4tify54October
Money Badger5312/1/2021
Accountant0074812/23/2021
Bownyboy2912/25/2021
Ulysses Everett McGill5512/31/2021
dblaace60 12/31/2021
effigy9843December
WadimanDecember
lightmyfireJune-Sept
monarda61TBD
aethonan1332TBD
Mrs. Healthywealth42Summer
American GenXTBD
lemonlymanTBD
dswTBD
MoneyTreeTBD
SheWhoWalksAtLunchTBD
BikeFanatic55TBD

@12321 - Would you like me to list you as Self-Employed since April 2020?  Or maybe just already-SWAMI?

@sisto - Howabout I list you as "FIRE'd in spirit since 2019" and/or pre-confirm your FIRE date?

@SheWhoWalksAtLunch - Welcome aboard.  For the sake of the chart what's your projected date and age at FIRE? 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:00:04 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #648 on: December 07, 2020, 05:04:19 AM »

Aethonan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #649 on: December 07, 2020, 01:03:37 PM »

***useful tip*** Go to https://www.healthcare.gov/ and type quotes into the search bar in the upper right hand corner, on the results screen click on Preview health plans & prices based on your income in the blue box.  Those two steps will get you to where you can view options in your area without having to start an account.  (when it asks for your 14 character plan id just hit skip)

Thanks for this! Super helpful to have an entry point to quickly get the gist.