Author Topic: 2021 FIRE Cohort  (Read 353952 times)

4tify

• Bristles
Re: 2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #450 on: June 09, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »
I'm in the process of purchasing a home on the shore of Lago Atitlán, Guatemala, an absolutely gorgeous lake I fell in love with when visiting on vacation. I'll be buying all cash, so my expenses will essentially be limited to whatever it takes to live day-to-day Guatemalan life ... which, as you can imagine, isn't much.

wow @logjammin this sounds amazing. I looked up the the place and it's beautiful. Look forward to hearing how your journey progresses!

logjammin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #451 on: June 09, 2020, 03:06:40 PM »
Wow @logjammin that's exciting!  Do you speak the language or is that one of your retirement projects?
It's a current project. Aprendo poco a poco. Puedo leer y escribir bien, hablando es ok, pero escuchar me cuesta mucho. Actualmente miraba la casa de papel en español y esa ayudame. In other words, I'm getting there, pero va para largo.

Just to clarify, you might have meant Mayan, the language of the indigenous locals. Sadly, yet also fortunately for learning purposes, Spanish has become the main means of communication. Mayan would be very cool to learn but there are three distinct dialects around just that lake, and it sounds like it's exceptionally difficult to learn.

wow @logjammin this sounds amazing. I looked up the the place and it's beautiful. Look forward to hearing how your journey progresses!
Thank you! The contract language was finalized today, I hope to get some pics of the new place soon

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #452 on: June 09, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
Aaaaahhhh, how cool would it be to have some passing knowledge of Mayan though?  Worth a try.

Having said that I tried to learn a tiny bit of Mongolian when a holiday took me through there a few years ago.... not very successful, it has to be said.  But I'm glad I tried!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: June 10, 2020, 12:18:11 PM »
New page - new posting of the roster.
The roster is updated for everybody through post #495

So far we have 41 folks here who will be FIRE in 2021 and 4 will OLY into 2020. 
Average age of 2021ers is 46.65 (at FIRE date).  2020 average age is 48.32 (so far).  2019 average age was 47.38.

NameAge (at FIRE)FIRE Date
AldiEarly 50s1/23/2020 OLY
CrazyIT563/13/2020 OLY
Mmm_Donuts3/20/2020 OLY
Marcher Lady494/14/2020 OLY

Matz_70501/1/2021
moneypitfeeder421/15/2021
123211/23/2021
ScreamingHeadGuy412/5/2021
Buffaloski Boris562/28/2021
dreams_and_discoveries39February
TheContinentalOP55 3/19/2021
Chaplin473/23/2021
Tipster350604/30/2021
bluebelle4/30/2021
icebox92364/30/2021
Peter Parker4/30/2021
logjammin394/30/2021
zinnie38April
LightTripper45April
ItalianGirl 5/1/2021
WildJager35May
80Westy50May
Sisto526/7/2021
YoungGranny316/30/2021
HumanAfterAll44June
lightmyfireJune-Sept
Ladychips557/1/2021
Nazar7/1/2021
CarolinaGirl50July
highlandterrierJuly
Arbitrage438/1/2021
frugalecon9/30/2021
GBRS36September
the_fixer4910/1/2021
damoOctober
Boyband37October
4tify54October
Money Badger5312/1/2021
Accountant0074812/23/2021
Bownyboy2912/25/2021
Ulysses Everett McGill5512/31/2021
dblaace60 12/31/2021
Frizzywhiskers5012/31/2021
effigy9842December
WadimanDecember
monarda61TBD
American GenXTBD
lemonlymanTBD
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:06:34 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: June 10, 2020, 12:48:48 PM »
Thank you - that's a long list!

Although I'm not actually expecting a bonus (given Covid's impact on the wider business), I'll probably wait until bonuses are awarded before resigning just in case I get an unexpected bump (as my billings have probably been if anything higher than I expected). 

That would put me in April 2021, so that's my "best guess" for now - though always possible I go earlier if I really get sick of it, or later if I end up on a really interesting/fun project!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #455 on: June 10, 2020, 02:56:45 PM »
18 people are less than a year away!  That is so exciting!!!  Can't wait to be able to check myself off the list (a day less than 1 year and 3 weeks for me!)!

@ScreamingHeadGuy  - thanks so much for taking care of the list.  It just seems so much more real and valid with a list!

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #456 on: June 10, 2020, 03:47:59 PM »
18 people are less than a year away!  That is so exciting!!!  Can't wait to be able to check myself off the list (a day less than 1 year and 3 weeks for me!)!

@ScreamingHeadGuy  - thanks so much for taking care of the list.  It just seems so much more real and valid with a list!
I have the same date.  I was just thinking that by this time a year from now I'll have already given my notice.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #457 on: June 10, 2020, 03:55:38 PM »

I have the same date.  I was just thinking that by this time a year from now I'll have already given my notice.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

@nazar!  My retirement buddy!!  I should really give notice in October, but for a variety of personal reasons, I'm planning to give notice on May 17 (unless I get pissed off and blurt it out before then).  I'm really looking for all the little milestones of "this is the last time I have to do this thing"  Some of those are date driven.  But I find myself 'delgating' things as well!

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #458 on: June 11, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
What would you do....

I have enjoyed my job and have been FI for awhile now.  I really could hang it up anytime, but I recently got a promotion that I really like--one that I had hoped to get (and IMHO deserved) several (8) years ago. Last year, I had some leverage--I had another job offer that was higher pay, much less commute, and better working conditions.  I said I was going to leave unless I got the promotion.  They gave it  to me, but labeled it "interim."  I accepted and my last year has been one of my most satisfying years in a very satisfying career....

Despite the promotion, I had a "drop-dead" date to retire in 2021.  I have settled on 4/31/2021.  I'm still going to do this, but my question is about timing my notice.

I will be eligible for my LAST raise in August.  This raise will significantly increase my pension, so I don't want to give them any excuse not to give me my raise.  Thus I will not give notice until after this date because I don't want them to revoke my "interim" promotion since I will be leaving.   However, I do want give them as much notice as possible because: (a) they  have been good to me; (b) I don't want the people I supervise to be severely affected; (c) I'd like the opportunity to train the person that will take my place....

That being said, in the back of my head, I'm afraid, even after my last raise, they may revoke my interim status and have me go back to my old position (in which case I'd just leave).  But that wouldn't maximize my retirement and would cause problems (a) through (c) above to occur.

So my question is....When would you give notice?  Right after my last raise?  January (4 months notice)?  Two weeks notice?  What would the MMM/Class of 2021 Cohort suggest?

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #459 on: June 11, 2020, 02:02:09 PM »
@PeterParker i think 4 mo is more than fair. How difficult will it be to find a new you? I’d even say 90 days is a good chunk.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
« Reply #460 on: June 11, 2020, 03:42:49 PM »
I learned my lesson when leaving my last company.

I was in a leadership role and wanted to give sufficient time to transition as we had a 1 week vacation planned. As soon as I gave them notice I was called to a meeting with HR where my boss offered anything I wanted to stay, when I told them I wanted to try something new and it was not about the position or pay they told me my vacation was canceled (company policy supposedly that when you give notice you are no longer allowed to take vacation) and they turned off my AD account and demanded to know the name of the company I was moving to, I let them know that it was not a competitor and in a completely different sector they actually threatened to sue me if I did not tell the right there and then.

I was harassed endlessly by HR and my manager for the entire time and even received several drunk dials from my boss months after late at night threatening me and telling me I would be sorry.

I literally just about killed myself for 16 years at that company, always a top performer and alway a sought after employee even during the massive layoffs.

16 years and that is how they treat someone trying to give them more than adequate notice. Nothing was turned over, they lost years and years of process and documentation work all because my boss was upset that I was leaving.

Never will I ever give more than the bare minimum notice again. I had a great relationship with the manager, I basically ran the entire area and never expected to be treated that way.

I am happy to report that all of my team departed the company within 4 months and the company lost that part of the business to another company due to inability to deliver on their contracts :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #461 on: June 11, 2020, 03:48:49 PM »
@PeterParker i think 4 mo is more than fair. How difficult will it be to find a new you? I’d even say 90 days is a good chunk.

Aren't we all irreplaceable?  You are right.  I'm not that hard to replace...There will be people all over the state that will want my position

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #462 on: June 11, 2020, 04:39:38 PM »
@the_fixer makes a good point. I've seen this kind of thing too.

For what it's worth I'm in a similar situation with a contract that's up next fall. Been trying to sort out how to best do it, but I'm erring towards 60 days since my role isn't super easy to fill. But given the economy I'm sure next year there will be tons of people lining up for a good spot.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: June 11, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »
@Peter Parker: I got a really good life lesson early in my career. I was leaving a job for a huge increase in pay. I gave my soon to be former employer the traditional 2 weeks notice. Rather than keep me on for the 2 weeks, they paid me through that day and that was that. I really could’ve used the money. The lesson: employers are going to do what benefits them.

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #464 on: June 12, 2020, 08:29:03 AM »
Thanks, everyone for the replies/advice.  I'm gonna stop sweating this...I going to say nothing until I get my last raise.  Then take it day by day.  I think I will keep my employer on a "need to know" basis at this point.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #465 on: June 13, 2020, 05:07:39 PM »
@Peter Parker , sounds like you have it pretty-well planned out, but I'm also in the camp of waiting until after August. I fully get wanting to make sure you have time for training people to back-fill (it's what I am currently trying to do). I wasn't anticipating an increase so I divulged my plans really early (my sup asked the where do you see yourself in 5 yrs ?). IMHO no company will ever give you truly "adequate" time to train someone up. How soon after you get your Aug. raise do you expect to resign?

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #466 on: June 14, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
@Peter Parker , sounds like you have it pretty-well planned out, but I'm also in the camp of waiting until after August. I fully get wanting to make sure you have time for training people to back-fill (it's what I am currently trying to do). I wasn't anticipating an increase so I divulged my plans really early (my sup asked the where do you see yourself in 5 yrs ?). IMHO no company will ever give you truly "adequate" time to train someone up. How soon after you get your Aug. raise do you expect to resign?

Well that is the question.  I'm leaving 4/31/2021.  I'm going to wait after I get met raise, then take it day by day.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: June 16, 2020, 06:58:25 PM »
I don't know if you all read the other fire cohort threads, but if you get a chance, go read the latest posts by Fire 20/20 and Tooqk4U22 in the 2019 thread. They both describe their experience of FIRE.  They might keep you from omy syndrome.  That's just how I picture the future!!

*Edited to be more clear which posts I meant...
**Edited again to fix typo...good grief
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 10:58:02 AM by Ladychips »

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #468 on: June 17, 2020, 09:35:21 AM »
Loved those posts @Ladychips , thank you for the link!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #469 on: June 17, 2020, 11:00:57 AM »
@LightTripper, glad you enjoyed them.  When I dream about FIRE (and I do nearly everyday day), it looks so much like those stories.  Maybe not the exact activities, but the mental 'feel' of what they described. And while I'm a rabid worrier, the covid shutdown has proven to me that dh and I can live on MUCH less than we generally do...so even most of my money worries have disappeared.  I can't wait!!

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #470 on: June 17, 2020, 11:05:56 AM »
Yes agreed @Ladychips , I could totally picture myself in that mental place! 

I'm a worrier too.  I think when I get time I will do another review of spending as I think it should be quite a bit lower due to Covid too (nothing on coffees, sandwiches, cafe lunches out with family, etc.)  And although I definitely do miss those things, I don't miss them enough that (a) I would be miserable without them, (b) that it's worth working to keep them at historic levels, if that's what it took or (c) that I necessarily want to keep them at the levels they were post-Covid even with money no object.  So seeing how much we spend in our perfectly pleasant "Covid" life would be interesting, for sure!

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #471 on: June 23, 2020, 08:57:59 AM »
Got a question for you all. I'm considering giving notice in January 2021 in order to take advantage of one last push into the old 401k.

I earn enough that I can max it out in one month plus my unpaid vacation. So I'd basically dump my entire last paychecks into it. I might come out with a couple grand as well.

I also heard that if you pre-fund your FSA that comes with you. Am I right about that? This will be the first time I ever leave a job with benefits, so I'm trying to figure out the best way.

Any advice on this?

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #472 on: June 24, 2020, 10:24:27 AM »
Got a question for you all. I'm considering giving notice in January 2021 in order to take advantage of one last push into the old 401k.

I earn enough that I can max it out in one month plus my unpaid vacation. So I'd basically dump my entire last paychecks into it. I might come out with a couple grand as well.

I also heard that if you pre-fund your FSA that comes with you. Am I right about that? This will be the first time I ever leave a job with benefits, so I'm trying to figure out the best way.

Any advice on this?

It’s a great way to start the year by maxing out your 401k if you can.

I’m not sure about the FSA, though.  I’d recommend checking with your employer and looking into the IRS’s documents on that front. 

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #473 on: June 24, 2020, 05:46:48 PM »

Any advice on this?

No idea on the FSA.

For frontloading your 401k contributions, I'd say thats a great idea, but I'd check if there are any other limitations on how much of your paycheck you're allowed to apply towards your 401k in a given pay period. Oftentimes this is capped at a certain percentage so you might not be allowed to put your whole paycheck into it.

Also, once you find out what that cap is, I would recommend changing your contribution amount in December of this year, as it can sometimes take up to 2 pay periods to take effect.

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #474 on: June 24, 2020, 05:56:21 PM »

Any advice on this?

No idea on the FSA.

For frontloading your 401k contributions, I'd say thats a great idea, but I'd check if there are any other limitations on how much of your paycheck you're allowed to apply towards your 401k in a given pay period. Oftentimes this is capped at a certain percentage so you might not be allowed to put your whole paycheck into it.

Also, once you find out what that cap is, I would recommend changing your contribution amount in December of this year, as it can sometimes take up to 2 pay periods to take effect.

Got it, that's good advice thank you.

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #475 on: June 24, 2020, 09:44:44 PM »
I haven't posted here for a while.

Great to see that the list is increasing - unfortunately I'll be postponing my FI(RE) date a little to Dec 21 but interestingly i've discovered (via COVID lockdown) that the main issue i've had with my career has been the commuting and getting into work attire etc.  I don't mind the work per se.

So...this has made me think about having a chat with my employer in Nov 21 (or thereabouts) to see if I can split my job with another team member and work 1 (preferably) or 2 (if needed) days per week and keep a pretty big income stream coming in.  I wouldn't then need to look at any side-gigs but suppose this would mean i'm not technically retiring.  Previously my thinking was to generate at least $10k pa through side gigs and working 1 or 2 days/week would generate at least $40k pa for minimal effort.  I think i'll try this and see how it goes.

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: June 25, 2020, 04:41:40 AM »
@Wadiman -you might be interested in reading @PhilB journal, One Year Into FIRE.  He did what you are thinking about.  I just discovered his journal the other day, but I've really enjoyed it.  He is British (and I am American) so I don't understand much about the specifics of their pensions systems.  But I've found his journal to be insightful and entertaining.

Wadiman

• Stubble
« Reply #477 on: June 25, 2020, 05:50:43 AM »
Thanks Ladychip - shall check it out!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #478 on: June 30, 2020, 07:55:16 PM »
Six months to go so I'm sending out a call to cohort members who haven't been active lately (poking them for a check-in and update on how they're doing). So let's hear from @Matz_70@12321, @dreams_and_discoveries, @ItalianGirl, @Boyband, @Accountant007, @Ulysses Everett McGill

I've also removed cohort members who no longer show up as forum members - that got rid of six former posters. 

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #479 on: June 30, 2020, 08:24:00 PM »
Finances:
December 2018 - 79.7% (22.3 x expenses)
December 2019 - 107.3% (30.0 x expenses)
January 2020 - 109.3% (30.6 x expenses)
February 2020 - 103.7% (29.0 x expenses)
March 2020 - 94.9% (26.6 x expenses)
April 2020 - 100.4% (28.1 x expenses)
May 2020 - 105.3% (29.5 x expenses)
June 2020 - 106.9% (29.9 x expenses)

My invested assets are back to mid-November 2019 level - 7.5 months of returns and contributions disappeared.  But it's still better than the low point in March 2020 (9.4% above year-ago levels, too) and I'm still above my goal so I'm pretty pleased. 

Asset allocation is close to target (within 0.5%) for equities/bonds.  Now I'm rebalancing equities for my domestic/international exposure. 

Life:
Our exchange daughter left to go back to Romania early in the month so that's left our home a bit quieter.  It's also meant the wife has re-occupied the former guest-room and is using it as her "office".  (Nope, the work-from-home guy still gets the basement - life is not fair.) 

We've started harvesting lettuce from the garden already - just over a month from planting.  The whole garden is going nuts this year - I anticipate we'll have enough to do ample canning/freezing/saucing this summer. 

My weight-loss "program" has been going well.  Since October 2019 I'm down 18-19 pounds (yesterday it was 19 but today it was 18).  Ever since I hit the 10# mark I've felt much better.  I've still got 2.3-3.3 more to shed to hit my goal (and 5.3-6.3 for my "stretch goal") over the next four months; I have a feeling I just might make it.

Our puppy has decided it must sleep in my bed.  This seems to be a significant factor in my recent bout of poor-quality sleep.  (But not bringing the dog in bed means it howls in anguish so that leads to no sleep.) 

I have been working very hard to "control" my anger and channel it in an appropriate, "positive" manner.  I realized I'd been carrying my frustration around too much and then releasing it all at "minor offenses".  Here's hoping I can keep this up (June had zero "eruptions"). 

Seven (lucky seven!) more months to go for me.  (But I wouldn't mind if I somehow got an "offer I couldn't refuse" to hit the road - except my company doesn't do that.) 

highlandterrier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #480 on: July 03, 2020, 11:50:22 AM »
Add me to the roster please, OLYing from 2022 to 2021. Not decided date but sometime between very likely July but could put back to September. One year to go I'll look upon it as a lap of honour.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: July 03, 2020, 01:12:59 PM »
Add me to the roster please, OLYing from 2022 to 2021. Not decided date but sometime between very likely July but could put back to September. One year to go I'll look upon it as a lap of honour.
Welcome to the cohort!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #482 on: July 03, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »
please add me....my target is Apr 30 2021.   Bonus gets announced beginning of March, some more of my restricted stock will mature then (although company stock price is in the toilet).....I want to hang around until I've have the bonus in the bank - I don't expect it to be alot, given how sales are this year.

I panicked when I saw 300K wiped out of our retirement fund back in Feb and March due to Covid19 and said I was working until 2022 to make it up.  Fast forward to now, with my stash replenished. (just frickin' proves I don't know jack, and neither do the experts).  It also reinforces that I'm invested in the risk appropriate funds.   We're at our 'number', so moderate growth with less risk.   We were down 15% between Jan. 31 and March 31, rather than the 35-40% I think the over-all market hit.

What it did reinforce for me is that having a bigger stash than I know we need will help me sleep at night.   Niece and Nephew and some charities will score when I'm gone, and I'm okay with that.   I'm thinking STEM scholarships for young women, unless by some miracle we've achieved true equality by then.   Then something with at-risk youth (probably something will go to them anyway - don't beat me up for my choices)

I like my job  - much of it energizes me.....but as a IT geek, the hours on the the keyboard have taken their toll....my neck and upper back are screaming by the end of the day, every day.   Nothing is working for pain relief.....except getting off the keyboard.

I'm still thinking about going part time.....but I would have to be more diligent about protecting my time.....I fear I'd still work 40 hours and just get paid for 24.   And that's on me....

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
What it did reinforce for me is that having a bigger stash than I know we need will help me sleep at night.   Niece and Nephew and some charities will score when I'm gone, and I'm okay with that.   I'm thinking STEM scholarships for young women, unless by some miracle we've achieved true equality by then.   Then something with at-risk youth (probably something will go to them anyway - don't beat me up for my choices)

Well, not that it matters, but I like your choices a lot.
Welcome to the crew!

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2020, 06:01:33 AM »
What would you do....

I have enjoyed my job and have been FI for awhile now.  I really could hang it up anytime, but I recently got a promotion that I really like--one that I had hoped to get (and IMHO deserved) several (8) years ago. Last year, I had some leverage--I had another job offer that was higher pay, much less commute, and better working conditions.  I said I was going to leave unless I got the promotion.  They gave it  to me, but labeled it "interim."  I accepted and my last year has been one of my most satisfying years in a very satisfying career....

Despite the promotion, I had a "drop-dead" date to retire in 2021.  I have settled on 4/31/2021.  I'm still going to do this, but my question is about timing my notice.

I will be eligible for my LAST raise in August.  This raise will significantly increase my pension, so I don't want to give them any excuse not to give me my raise.  Thus I will not give notice until after this date because I don't want them to revoke my "interim" promotion since I will be leaving.   However, I do want give them as much notice as possible because: (a) they  have been good to me; (b) I don't want the people I supervise to be severely affected; (c) I'd like the opportunity to train the person that will take my place....

That being said, in the back of my head, I'm afraid, even after my last raise, they may revoke my interim status and have me go back to my old position (in which case I'd just leave).  But that wouldn't maximize my retirement and would cause problems (a) through (c) above to occur.

So my question is....When would you give notice?  Right after my last raise?  January (4 months notice)?  Two weeks notice?  What would the MMM/Class of 2021 Cohort suggest?

Unfortunately, I have to inform you that under no circumstances will you be retiring on your intended date.  ;-)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:11:51 AM by friedmmj »

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2020, 06:33:30 PM »
Glad to have you @highlandterrier and @bluebelle.

I've got you at 4/30/21 @PeterParker  - a date which actually exists.  :-)

It sure looks like the intensity of our cohort is picking up; we've almost made it through a page of posts in only one month!  Settle down, folks - we're supposed to be the "too cool for school" class.  (Makes sense; from our reported ages we're mostly Gen-X folks.) 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:35:50 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

FarFetchd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #486 on: July 05, 2020, 11:54:47 AM »
Hi all! I've been fully into the financial independence thing since 2016 (and was lucky enough to have wound up vaguely Mustachian even before discovering MMM), but only recently started really paying attention to this forum. Our timeframe is no later than September 2021, at which point we'll be 33. We're currently in a big-ish coastal city, and will be moving to the midwest. (September is when our lease will end).

I'm currently hanging on in a job that I used to love, but has suUuUucked for like 6 months+ now. I've been job hunting for a couple of months. While it's totally possible that a new one might be no more enjoyable than this one, it would at least be a change of pace that should put a few more months on the "how long can I last" clock.

But, when I make myself stop overfocusing on all that, I have to admit my situation is pretty wonderful. For one thing, I've already taken care of the fear of the prospect of post-FIRE ennui: I took a month off a few months back, and it was as wonderful and productive as you could hope. On the financial side, my wife recently started at a job she loves, and makes just enough that we should hit our minimum target even if I stopped working now, and she stopped in September 2021. I'm really trying to avoid that, though. For one thing, I'd feel bad being a mooch before we are >100% FI. Plus, keeping my income going another year would make it vastly more comfortable to start the cute little cafe we want to run someday, which will take some startup capital and may well not do so great.

The technical details: we're targeting ~$25k annual spending, mortgage accounted separately. Our spending looks closer to ~$22k, but the wiggle room is really important to me for comfort (less so to her; I'm the planner/worrier!), not to mention not knowing what to expect with health insurance, which we've so far always had through school/employer. Our definition of "safe withdrawal rate" is EarlyRetirementNow's CAPE-based rule, https://earlyretirementnow.com/2017/08/30/the-ultimate-guide-to-safe-withdrawal-rates-part-18-flexibility-cape-based-rules/, specifically with a=1.5 b=0.5. It will guide our spending cap, and is also what we're using to decide when it's safe to stop working.

Well, that's about it. It was nice to read about others' similar situations. I'll try to check in here regularly. It's a weird feeling being more or less in the home stretch, and I think it's only going to get weirder. Total freedom is really a massive change of perspective. I'm guessing several people in this thread are also experiencing that right now!

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: July 06, 2020, 08:40:57 AM »
Glad to have you @highlandterrier and @bluebelle.

I've got you at 4/30/21 @PeterParker  - a date which actually exists.  :-)

It sure looks like the intensity of our cohort is picking up; we've almost made it through a page of posts in only one month!  Settle down, folks - we're supposed to be the "too cool for school" class.  (Makes sense; from our reported ages we're mostly Gen-X folks.)

Well I guess my last day is one day sooner....:-)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: July 06, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »
Hi all! I've been fully into the financial independence thing since 2016 (and was lucky enough to have wound up vaguely Mustachian even before discovering MMM), but only recently started really paying attention to this forum. Our timeframe is no later than September 2021, at which point we'll be 33. We're currently in a big-ish coastal city, and will be moving to the midwest. (September is when our lease will end).

I'm currently hanging on in a job that I used to love, but has suUuUucked for like 6 months+ now. I've been job hunting for a couple of months. While it's totally possible that a new one might be no more enjoyable than this one, it would at least be a change of pace that should put a few more months on the "how long can I last" clock.

But, when I make myself stop overfocusing on all that, I have to admit my situation is pretty wonderful. For one thing, I've already taken care of the fear of the prospect of post-FIRE ennui: I took a month off a few months back, and it was as wonderful and productive as you could hope. On the financial side, my wife recently started at a job she loves, and makes just enough that we should hit our minimum target even if I stopped working now, and she stopped in September 2021. I'm really trying to avoid that, though. For one thing, I'd feel bad being a mooch before we are >100% FI. Plus, keeping my income going another year would make it vastly more comfortable to start the cute little cafe we want to run someday, which will take some startup capital and may well not do so great.

The technical details: we're targeting ~$25k annual spending, mortgage accounted separately. Our spending looks closer to ~$22k, but the wiggle room is really important to me for comfort (less so to her; I'm the planner/worrier!), not to mention not knowing what to expect with health insurance, which we've so far always had through school/employer. Our definition of "safe withdrawal rate" is EarlyRetirementNow's CAPE-based rule, https://earlyretirementnow.com/2017/08/30/the-ultimate-guide-to-safe-withdrawal-rates-part-18-flexibility-cape-based-rules/, specifically with a=1.5 b=0.5. It will guide our spending cap, and is also what we're using to decide when it's safe to stop working.

Well, that's about it. It was nice to read about others' similar situations. I'll try to check in here regularly. It's a weird feeling being more or less in the home stretch, and I think it's only going to get weirder. Total freedom is really a massive change of perspective. I'm guessing several people in this thread are also experiencing that right now!

Hi @FarFetchd  - welcome to the bestest cohort!  You're right; the weirdness of being close and realizing that I'm probably less than a year from chucking my job is beginning to sink in.  Do I really want to leave a good paying job that I'm good at and enjoying more and more of late?  Then the siren song of going bike riding whenever and wherever I want and gardening and cooking and doing fun jobs starts to sound mighty nice. 

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #489 on: July 06, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »

Hi @FarFetchd  - welcome to the bestest cohort!  You're right; the weirdness of being close and realizing that I'm probably less than a year from chucking my job is beginning to sink in.  Do I really want to leave a good paying job that I'm good at and enjoying more and more of late?  Then the siren song of going bike riding whenever and wherever I want and gardening and cooking and doing fun jobs starts to sound mighty nice.

Jeez @Buffaloski Boris this is exactly what I've been going through. I keep running my resignation speech through my mind, and then I have this inner battle start over getting paid for a (mostly) entertaining job that I'm good at and "what if quitting is a huge mistake?" Then I consider I'm already in my 50's and in good health (thank god) and won't it be nice to take advantage of having enough and enjoy the time while I've got it...??

As I type that it makes no sense to stay on the job, but old habits die hard!! Crazy.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: July 07, 2020, 03:15:35 AM »
Welcome @FarFetchd !

It is weird being so close.  It's giving me the fear even at 45 - and some of my friends are starting to at least downshift or stopped work for kids. I can only imagine it's harder to make the shift mentally at 33, but you have time and energy on your side - so where's the harm?  One way I am getting my head around it is to just say "it's the next chapter".  Who knows if it will be the final chapter?  No rules to say it has to be.  If I'm not having fun, I'll change it up.

Having a Dad who is studying for a PhD in his 70s certainly helps with this.  No good comes from cutting yourself off from experiences and opportunities on the basis that "it's too late".  So if we're lucky enough to keep our health, anything is possible.

highlandterrier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #491 on: July 07, 2020, 03:59:48 AM »
I keep reminding myself I only have 12 or so pay cheques left to go, which is scary in one way. I've also modelled the month by month decumulation expected, and worst reasonable case, so by the time FIRE arrives should be used to the idea as mentally planned out.

Oh, and not allowed to call it retiring in my house, it's the Renaissance !

FarFetchd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #492 on: July 09, 2020, 09:43:01 AM »
I keep reminding myself I only have 12 or so pay cheques left to go, which is scary in one way. I've also modelled the month by month decumulation expected, and worst reasonable case, so by the time FIRE arrives should be used to the idea as mentally planned out.

Oh, and not allowed to call it retiring in my house, it's the Renaissance !

That's a great word for it, I love it! As snappy an acronym as 'FIRE' certainly is, the word 'retirement' is unfortunately inextricably tied to a very well established and globally shared understanding. Cruise ships, retirement homes, etc. It's gross to imagine someone well below retirement age living the stereotypical old retiree life, and even if that's not what FIRE looks like, it's the first thing that comes to mind when the R-word makes an appearance. It's not even just that I'm worried about the effect on marketing FI to the general public: it's that I myself feel it. I feel gross (and worried about what my life would turn into) when I think in terms of "retiring". It feels much better to look at it in terms of freedom, with an expectation that productive things will come of it. So, yeah, to put that in a more flowery way: renaissance :D

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: July 10, 2020, 02:47:14 PM »
I'm joining the cohort. I was originally in 2024, but my time table has moved up!

I found MMM in 2014. At the time, I believed I'd be working until 70. My wife was pregnant with our daughter and I was desperate to find a way to spend more time with her as she was growing up. Now I also have a son and starting late 2021, I'll be a full-time dad (/author with zero financial pressure to sell).

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #494 on: July 10, 2020, 03:47:41 PM »
I'm joining the cohort. I was originally in 2024, but my time table has moved up!

I found MMM in 2014. At the time, I believed I'd be working until 70. My wife was pregnant with our daughter and I was desperate to find a way to spend more time with her as she was growing up. Now I also have a son and starting late 2021, I'll be a full-time dad (/author with zero financial pressure to sell).

That’s awesome @lemonlyman!  Welcome to the bestest cohort!

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #495 on: July 15, 2020, 03:29:19 PM »
Hi everybody! I'm officially moving myself from the 2022 group into 2021. Over the last few months, my job went from pretty decent to eye-rollingly bad. Working from home is the only thing keeping me going at this point. Fortunately, my finances are looking better than I expected, and it looks really good for me being able to get out some time next year. I had been exploring a new job opportunity, but rather than switching at this point and working for a couple of more years, I think I'll stay at the old one for as long as I can and call it a career. There's always the possibility that I get to an intolerable point with this company that I just quit in 2020, but for now, I'm going to do my best to make it to some point in 2021 (month unknown).

It hasn't really struck me yet that I may have less than a year to go. I think it's still too many days to count. In any case, I'm happy to have finally figured out a plan. Hopefully it works out!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: July 15, 2020, 04:26:21 PM »
Welcome and congrats on joining the best FIRE year!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #497 on: July 15, 2020, 04:51:20 PM »
I had been kicking around doing one more year and had pretty much resolved that would be the best path forward. It would allow me to max my 401k, my HSA and Roth by just working 3 or so months into 2022 so around 6 extra months however....

I have been working from home since March and my personal life has vastly improved in pretty much the same ways I expected after FIRE other than traveling.

My work situation kind of sucks right now, I am busier than ever, our management thinks everyone is just slacking and doing nothing despite all metrics showing otherwise so they are putting pressure on to start traveling again.

Prior to this I was traveling to different states 2x a week and it sounds like that is what they want starting next Monday. I am honestly torn, I would love to fill up my bank accounts a little more but my wife is high risk and I do not want to get sick and give it to her or have long term health problems that will not allow us to live the life we were looking forward to in a little over a year and a half.

Not sure what I am going to do, I declared my wife and to a lesser extent myself meet the risk criteria they set out that is required to work from home back in March and they verbally confirmed that I am to work from home until we reach low level risk per the guidance from the company and the alert level has not changed but yet my local managers are telling me to travel (the same ones I was required to declare to)

It would be great to make it to 2021 but I am not sure what I will do at this point seems I am at a crossroads, I brought it up to my manager and he just blew me off saying well it is a funny thing and never really gave an answer.

Sorry for complaining, just been going back and forth and not sure what to do. I suppose I could go to HR (would get let go), refuse (would get let go) or just wait to get laid off (would at least extend my pay / benefits or travel and risk it.

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #498 on: July 15, 2020, 05:38:36 PM »
I had been kicking around doing one more year and had pretty much resolved that would be the best path forward. It would allow me to max my 401k, my HSA and Roth by just working 3 or so months into 2022 so around 6 extra months however....

I have been working from home since March and my personal life has vastly improved in pretty much the same ways I expected after FIRE other than traveling.

My work situation kind of sucks right now, I am busier than ever, our management thinks everyone is just slacking and doing nothing despite all metrics showing otherwise so they are putting pressure on to start traveling again.

Prior to this I was traveling to different states 2x a week and it sounds like that is what they want starting next Monday. I am honestly torn, I would love to fill up my bank accounts a little more but my wife is high risk and I do not want to get sick and give it to her or have long term health problems that will not allow us to live the life we were looking forward to in a little over a year and a half.

Not sure what I am going to do, I declared my wife and to a lesser extent myself meet the risk criteria they set out that is required to work from home back in March and they verbally confirmed that I am to work from home until we reach low level risk per the guidance from the company and the alert level has not changed but yet my local managers are telling me to travel (the same ones I was required to declare to)

It would be great to make it to 2021 but I am not sure what I will do at this point seems I am at a crossroads, I brought it up to my manager and he just blew me off saying well it is a funny thing and never really gave an answer.

Sorry for complaining, just been going back and forth and not sure what to do. I suppose I could go to HR (would get let go), refuse (would get let go) or just wait to get laid off (would at least extend my pay / benefits or travel and risk it.

This is a really tough position. I'm not sure what the legal implications are but you might want to talk to a lawyer. It doesn't seem right for a company to force you to take unnecessary risk. I'd definitely start documenting any and all conversations with your employer about this starting now.

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #499 on: July 16, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »

Wow, that's a really tough one. That's not the kind of complaint requiring any apology. I personally do not plan to return to the office unless there is a vaccine or treatment available (which may well mean that I am not returning to the office). So I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to get on a plane and traveling every week. Obviously you'd have to evaluate the possible consequences of refusing, but I don't think anyone could blame you if you chose that route.