Author Topic: 2021 FIRE Cohort  (Read 353948 times)

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #500 on: July 16, 2020, 03:17:12 PM »
I had been kicking around doing one more year and had pretty much resolved that would be the best path forward. It would allow me to max my 401k, my HSA and Roth by just working 3 or so months into 2022 so around 6 extra months however....

I have been working from home since March and my personal life has vastly improved in pretty much the same ways I expected after FIRE other than traveling.

My work situation kind of sucks right now, I am busier than ever, our management thinks everyone is just slacking and doing nothing despite all metrics showing otherwise so they are putting pressure on to start traveling again.

Prior to this I was traveling to different states 2x a week and it sounds like that is what they want starting next Monday. I am honestly torn, I would love to fill up my bank accounts a little more but my wife is high risk and I do not want to get sick and give it to her or have long term health problems that will not allow us to live the life we were looking forward to in a little over a year and a half.

Not sure what I am going to do, I declared my wife and to a lesser extent myself meet the risk criteria they set out that is required to work from home back in March and they verbally confirmed that I am to work from home until we reach low level risk per the guidance from the company and the alert level has not changed but yet my local managers are telling me to travel (the same ones I was required to declare to)

It would be great to make it to 2021 but I am not sure what I will do at this point seems I am at a crossroads, I brought it up to my manager and he just blew me off saying well it is a funny thing and never really gave an answer.

Sorry for complaining, just been going back and forth and not sure what to do. I suppose I could go to HR (would get let go), refuse (would get let go) or just wait to get laid off (would at least extend my pay / benefits or travel and risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an awful situation to be in. Do you have any leverage here? Do you have the first bolded in writing?

On bolded #2--just from an outsider's perspective--this is a TERRIBLE company. Before even talking to HR you assume you will be let go for bringing a legitimate health concern to them--something they already promised you--in the middle of a pandemic? Honestly, if FU money isn't for a situation like this, I don't know what is.

Sorry you're in this position and wishing you the best.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
  • Rural Londoner. Lazy workaholic. Confused.
« Reply #501 on: July 16, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »
I know it is really easy to say this about somebody else's situation - but if you are so close to ready to go would it be so bad to exit now and then have to do a bit of part time work or consulting for a couple of years - or maybe even an intense year of travel post-pandemic as a one-off?

I am also sad I don't know about US employment law, but in the UK this is the kind of situation where if you refused to travel on grounds of your wife's health conditions I would expect you to have some protection OR at worst to get paid something to go away.  Do you think there is any chance you could reach an outcome like that?  I would agree with documenting everything (but again, have no clue on US employment law, so I don't know what your protections are - could it be worth talking to a lawyer to check your position?)

Sorry they are being such shits.  Even in the UK (where rates are now low, though not declining as fast as I'd like to see) we (and most other offices I know of) continue to encourage people to work from home.  Is there an objective business benefit to starting to travel again for your employer, or is it just some kind of macho proof that they are "back to business as usual"?

Anyway, take some time to think about your options.  I really hope you can sort something out so you don't have to travel again.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #502 on: July 17, 2020, 08:11:29 PM »
The roster is updated for everybody through post #548

So far we have 42 folks here who will be FIRE in 2021 and 4 will OLY into 2020. 
Average age of 2021ers is 46.65 (at FIRE date).  2020 average age is 48.32 (so far).  2019 average age was 47.38.

NameAge (at FIRE)FIRE Date
AldiEarly 50s1/23/2020 OLY
CrazyIT563/13/2020 OLY
Mmm_Donuts3/20/2020 OLY
Marcher Lady494/14/2020 OLY

Matz_70501/1/2021
moneypitfeeder421/15/2021
123211/23/2021
ScreamingHeadGuy412/5/2021
MoStash532/21/2021
Buffaloski Boris562/28/2021
dreams_and_discoveries39February
TheContinentalOP55 3/19/2021
Chaplin473/23/2021
Tipster350604/30/2021
bluebelle4/30/2021
icebox92364/30/2021
Peter Parker4/30/2021
logjammin394/30/2021
zinnie38April
LightTripper45April
mindfulrun43April
ItalianGirl 5/1/2021
gary341130April/May
WildJager35May
80Westy50May
Omglmg39May
phildonnia506/1/2021
Sisto526/7/2021
YoungGranny316/30/2021
HumanAfterAll44June
lightmyfireJune-Sept
Ladychips557/1/2021
Nazar7/1/2021
CarolinaGirl50July
highlandterrierJuly
Arbitrage438/1/2021
frugalecon9/30/2021
GBRS36September
the_fixer4910/1/2021
damoOctober
Boyband37October
4tify54October
Money Badger5312/1/2021
Accountant0074812/23/2021
Bownyboy2912/25/2021
Ulysses Everett McGill5512/31/2021
dblaace60 12/31/2021
effigy9842December
WadimanDecember
monarda61TBD
American GenXTBD
lemonlymanTBD
dswTBD
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:15:05 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #503 on: July 17, 2020, 08:19:48 PM »
I had been kicking around doing one more year and had pretty much resolved that would be the best path forward. It would allow me to max my 401k, my HSA and Roth by just working 3 or so months into 2022 so around 6 extra months however....

I have been working from home since March and my personal life has vastly improved in pretty much the same ways I expected after FIRE other than traveling.

My work situation kind of sucks right now, I am busier than ever, our management thinks everyone is just slacking and doing nothing despite all metrics showing otherwise so they are putting pressure on to start traveling again.

Prior to this I was traveling to different states 2x a week and it sounds like that is what they want starting next Monday. I am honestly torn, I would love to fill up my bank accounts a little more but my wife is high risk and I do not want to get sick and give it to her or have long term health problems that will not allow us to live the life we were looking forward to in a little over a year and a half.

Not sure what I am going to do, I declared my wife and to a lesser extent myself meet the risk criteria they set out that is required to work from home back in March and they verbally confirmed that I am to work from home until we reach low level risk per the guidance from the company and the alert level has not changed but yet my local managers are telling me to travel (the same ones I was required to declare to)

It would be great to make it to 2021 but I am not sure what I will do at this point seems I am at a crossroads, I brought it up to my manager and he just blew me off saying well it is a funny thing and never really gave an answer.

Sorry for complaining, just been going back and forth and not sure what to do. I suppose I could go to HR (would get let go), refuse (would get let go) or just wait to get laid off (would at least extend my pay / benefits or travel and risk it.

Well, since you definitely have FU money why not just refuse to go?  State that you will not be traveling because of the aforementioned health reasons and then just don't.  Company will either: 1)get somebody else to do it - maybe releasing you or maybe not OR 2)assume you'll do it anyway but get egg on its face when you stick to your guns - then maybe releasing your or maybe not.  From my understanding if you don't resign but stick to your guns you've got a 50% chance of being let go; if you do resign you've got a 100% chance of being gone. 

I guess your choice could be driven by which course of action you see as more likely to get a "shut up and go away" package - if your employer does that kind of thing.  Will they pay you to go away because you're suddenly unable to perform your work duties (due to health reasons - press how that sounds like discriminating based on a medical condition but you'll gladly keep your mouth shut about this situation for $xxxx).

4tify

• Bristles
« Reply #504 on: July 18, 2020, 07:49:42 AM »
Ok all this talk about your situation @the_fixer has inspired me to update my notice date to January 5th!!

I just got a new boss and she also thinks everyone is hanging out because "things are slow with covid," which couldn't be more untrue. My department is busier than ever, and I'm being tortured with all-day zooms. I'm over having a boss. Period.

Giving notice early January will allow me to extend double the amount of time I have to, while diverting as much of my paycheck into 401k as possible. That will reduce my tax liability for the year and might even allow me to max out.

Now I just have to get my head on straight about shifting identities. I have an other post going on that one. Are any of you guys having trouble making the shift in your minds/identity as you approach leaving mandatory work??

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #505 on: July 18, 2020, 08:46:56 AM »
Ok all this talk about your situation @the_fixer has inspired me to update my notice date to January 5th!!

I just got a new boss and she also thinks everyone is hanging out because "things are slow with covid," which couldn't be more untrue. My department is busier than ever, and I'm being tortured with all-day zooms. I'm over having a boss. Period.

Giving notice early January will allow me to extend double the amount of time I have to, while diverting as much of my paycheck into 401k as possible. That will reduce my tax liability for the year and might even allow me to max out.

Now I just have to get my head on straight about shifting identities. I have an other post going on that one. Are any of you guys having trouble making the shift in your minds/identity as you approach leaving mandatory work??
Actually, this long term work from home scenario make it easier to visualize. Like you, I am busier than ever with work, but without a commute, and time to do small things as needed during the day like washing a load of laundry overall I feel like I have gotten back a bit of my life and look forward to next year when it is all mine.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
  • mind on my money money on my mind
2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #506 on: July 19, 2020, 05:19:32 PM »
I know it is really easy to say this about somebody else's situation - but if you are so close to ready to go would it be so bad to exit now and then have to do a bit of part time work or consulting for a couple of years - or maybe even an intense year of travel post-pandemic as a one-off?

I am also sad I don't know about US employment law, but in the UK this is the kind of situation where if you refused to travel on grounds of your wife's health conditions I would expect you to have some protection OR at worst to get paid something to go away.  Do you think there is any chance you could reach an outcome like that?  I would agree with documenting everything (but again, have no clue on US employment law, so I don't know what your protections are - could it be worth talking to a lawyer to check your position?)

Sorry they are being such shits.  Even in the UK (where rates are now low, though not declining as fast as I'd like to see) we (and most other offices I know of) continue to encourage people to work from home.  Is there an objective business benefit to starting to travel again for your employer, or is it just some kind of macho proof that they are "back to business as usual"?

Anyway, take some time to think about your options.  I really hope you can sort something out so you don't have to travel again.
No real advantage to them, everything is still getting done as fast if not faster but by different means. It comes across as they just want everything to be back to normal. Unfortunately that is not reality right now.

The CEO even put out a video saying if the governor does not let us get back to normal they might move the company to a friendlier state that is open.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 05:28:10 PM by the_fixer »

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #507 on: July 19, 2020, 05:21:19 PM »

What an awful situation to be in. Do you have any leverage here? Do you have the first bolded in writing?

On bolded #2--just from an outsider's perspective--this is a TERRIBLE company. Before even talking to HR you assume you will be let go for bringing a legitimate health concern to them--something they already promised you--in the middle of a pandemic? Honestly, if FU money isn't for a situation like this, I don't know what is.

Sorry you're in this position and wishing you the best.
I have an email saying to self disclose to your manager, I have an email I sent to my manager but everything beyond that has been verbal phone communications.

I will do a better job of documenting going forward.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #508 on: July 19, 2020, 05:25:38 PM »

Well, since you definitely have FU money why not just refuse to go?  State that you will not be traveling because of the aforementioned health reasons and then just don't.  Company will either: 1)get somebody else to do it - maybe releasing you or maybe not OR 2)assume you'll do it anyway but get egg on its face when you stick to your guns - then maybe releasing your or maybe not.  From my understanding if you don't resign but stick to your guns you've got a 50% chance of being let go; if you do resign you've got a 100% chance of being gone. 

I guess your choice could be driven by which course of action you see as more likely to get a "shut up and go away" package - if your employer does that kind of thing.  Will they pay you to go away because you're suddenly unable to perform your work duties (due to health reasons - press how that sounds like discriminating based on a medical condition but you'll gladly keep your mouth shut about this situation for $xxxx).
I think this is the likely path forward, i will do my work to the best of my ability but I am not going to put my wife or myself at risk, if they do not like it they can decide how to handle it.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: July 20, 2020, 09:57:18 AM »
My company (middle managers) is also ramping up the pressure on people to travel, in conflict with the official corporate policies and senior management statements.  I don't think they are firing anyone who refuses, but that refusal is likely going to lower rankings on people, resulting in lower raises/promotions and greater susceptibility to layoffs. 

logjammin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #510 on: July 20, 2020, 04:01:05 PM »
Just a brief update and affirmation for 4/30/21. When I last posted in early June, I was "in the process" of buying a home on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala. The home is now fully purchased, no mortgage, and is my future destination :)

In non-RE news, there's an open position in my office that I'm a fantastic fit for. It'd be an intellectually interesting role and a great opportunity to keep myself highly relevant, but, it's a high stress role and I'm weighing my interest in the role with keeping things steady. I moved from a high stress role to my current easier spot in January as part of a reorg and I love the lesser stress but if I have to work, I'd rather it be doing something that matters a bit more.

I'm leaning towards trying to take the role. Hopefully I'm not insane.

gary3411

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #511 on: July 20, 2020, 08:58:56 PM »
Add me to the list. I'm eyeing April/May 2021. Just enough to max out another year of 401k and ira. Would've been sooner, but laid off due to pandemic (work in entertainment industry). However, lucky enough to still be adding to net worth through unemployment insurance, while getting a very very nice taste of what FIRE will be like: developing fun/productive skills and hobbies, traveling around a bit (camping that is). I expect to be back to work in November, but it's still a bit of a wild card. Either way I don't see myself going past spring even if I'm a bit short on net worth as I am all for fun part time jobs in the years to come. Will be 30 years old. Single. Living in Chicago but looking to get out right away to smaller or mid-size town/city that provide better access to pursue outdoor activities I enjoy (Chicago sucks for most of them). Vanlife is possible for a short time. Maybe some whitewater raft guiding. Let's go!

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #512 on: July 22, 2020, 10:45:21 AM »
Add me to the list.

Is there a list?  I wasn't in the list posted earlier, though I've posted in this topic.

Maybe we could make a shared Google Doc or something to track who's in?

If you're wondering: I'm retiring June 1, 2021, aged 50.

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #513 on: July 22, 2020, 01:45:41 PM »
Add me to the list.

Is there a list?  I wasn't in the list posted earlier, though I've posted in this topic.

Maybe we could make a shared Google Doc or something to track who's in?

If you're wondering: I'm retiring June 1, 2021, aged 50.

There's one that gets updated in this board. If you scroll up, you'll see it in ScreamingHeadGuy's post. It looks like you're not on it though. That should be easy enough to fix.

OmgLmg

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2020, 05:52:47 AM »
I've been hesitant to put this in writing, but I think the external accountability will be good. Add me to the list for May 2021, I'll be 39. I am so excited to hit this milestone before my 40th!

I am both excited by and nervous for this next big switch. When I started my FI journey several years ago I hated my job and this was a lifeline. However, at the moment I don't love my job but my coworkers are amazing people and I work for an inspiring organization that allows me to contribute to making the world a better place. I may have trouble walking away even though it is absolutely the right choice.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #515 on: August 01, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »
I've been hesitant to put this in writing, but I think the external accountability will be good. Add me to the list for May 2021, I'll be 39. I am so excited to hit this milestone before my 40th!

I am both excited by and nervous for this next big switch. When I started my FI journey several years ago I hated my job and this was a lifeline. However, at the moment I don't love my job but my coworkers are amazing people and I work for an inspiring organization that allows me to contribute to making the world a better place. I may have trouble walking away even though it is absolutely the right choice.
Yeah, I’m struggling with much the same sort of issue. It’s really a lot like the movie “Office Space.” I’m enjoying work a lot more and not really burning to leave. Even though it’s arguably the smart thing to do at my age.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2020, 04:07:37 PM »

Yeah, I’m struggling with much the same sort of issue. It’s really a lot like the movie “Office Space.” I’m enjoying work a lot more and not really burning to leave. Even though it’s arguably the smart thing to do at my age.

My insecure feelings about the future and comfort at work are coinsiding.  Possibly jumping to class of 2023.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2020, 05:18:46 PM »

My insecure feelings about the future and comfort at work are coinsiding.  Possibly jumping to class of 2023.
Given your ability to secure health insurance in retirement at age 55, it might be the prudent thing. I cross the “continue health insurance into retirement” threshold in a few months. I’m enjoying the job and the paychecks though so who knows?

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
Finances:
December 2018 - 79.7% (22.3 x expenses)
December 2019 - 107.3% (30.0 x expenses)
January 2020 - 109.3% (30.6 x expenses)
February 2020 - 103.7% (29.0 x expenses)
March 2020 - 94.9% (26.6 x expenses)
April 2020 - 100.4% (28.1 x expenses)
May 2020 - 105.3% (29.5 x expenses)
June 2020 - 106.9% (29.9 x expenses)
July 2020 - 111.2% (31.1 x expenses)

My invested assets are at a new all-time high (although there might have been a day in February when it was higher than this: I didn't go back and calculate). 

Equities vs. bonds allocation is pretty close to target.  Domestic- vs. international- equities ratio needs some work over the next few months. 

Life:
Weight loss had stalled for most of July - only lost 0.4 pounds in the last three weeks.  But I have dropped below my initial goal, so that's good news.  Now to see how much progress I can make towards my stretch goal: 2.7 pounds more to go. 

At work July had been a super-stressful month.  Ever since returning from the three-day Independence Day weekend it has been a daily battle to not deploy the FU parachute when someone (co-worker or client) makes some unreasonable (IMHO) request.  Maybe I've just got hardcore "senioritis" and my mind just isn't into work anymore. 

Wife and I celebrated our 10th anniversary this past month.  I recreated her wedding bouquet (only had to substitute one kind of flower) but couldn't get the same kind of cake we'd had (would have needed to have ordered it weeks in advance - and probably paid way too much).  We had take-out Mexican food for our dinner - delicious, but not my opinion of a romantic event (of course any meal with a six-year-old and a five-month-old dog isn't a mood-setter). 

Wife has a part-time job with the US Census Bureau now.  I think she only has one more conference call training session before she's set loose upon the general public in our county.  I sometimes get the feeling I'm more excited about this once-a-decade opportunity than she is (How cool to get to say "I'm a census taker."!?).

Twenty-seven  more weeks to go until my planned FIRE date (six weeks and one month).  But I don't want to rush it - I just think of all the things I've got to look forward to in my life between now and then. 

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #519 on: August 12, 2020, 09:59:26 AM »
Sign me up please! 2/1/21, age 53.

I would like to be able to take my mother to doctors appointments every week so I asked for a 4 day work week. I offered to do four 10-hour days or take a 20% pay cut and work 32 hours per week. I have been an excellent employee for 8 years. After lots of hemming and hawing, they said no.

So I put in PTO requests for every Wednesday for the next 6 months. When my PTO runs out I will ride off into the sunset. Living on the west coast of Florida, the sunsets are glorious!

Unless the ACA goes away; if that happens we will have to reconsider. My husband is 51. He quit last year when his company was sold and his job went from being pretty good to unbearable. Now he is a part-time kayak tour guide and loving life.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #520 on: August 12, 2020, 10:06:21 AM »

I would like to be able to take my mother to doctors appointments every week so I asked for a 4 day work week. I offered to do four 10-hour days or take a 20% pay cut and work 32 hours per week. I have been an excellent employee for 8 years. After lots of hemming and hawing, they said no.

So I put in PTO requests for every Wednesday for the next 6 months. When my PTO runs out I will ride off into the sunset. Living on the west coast of Florida, the sunsets are glorious!

Unless the ACA goes away; if that happens we will have to reconsider. My husband is 51. He quit last year when his company was sold and his job went from being pretty good to unbearable. Now he is a part-time kayak tour guide and loving life.

Welcome to the cohort!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #521 on: August 16, 2020, 10:14:01 AM »
Just got back from a 2-week vacation in the area I want to move to when we FIRE.  Aside from getting to know the area better, we had a few revelations on the trip:

- We visited with an old high school classmate we hadn't seen in 20+ years but lives near our FIRE location - and she revealed that she's a FIRE nerd herself, hoping to get out in the next few years.  Had a great time catching up, and she also has kids the exact same age as our kids!  They got along great (as did we) and hopefully will give us something to help ease the transition to a new location.

- I gave a OMY back in the depths of the market crash, though I see I'm still listed on the 2021 roster.  Though we might not hit my desired number by the date I gave - I'm pretty heavily invested in market categories that still haven't fully recovered - we're back to targeting 2021!  The reason is that DW got on board with the idea with her transitioning to a part-time remote role in her current job for a year or so (depending upon conditions) after we move.  Now, she still has to secure that position, but given her importance to the company she's pretty sure she can make it happen.  With her part-time income basically being enough to cover all living expenses if we're mortgage-free, +/- health insurance considerations, that gives us a big boost of confidence that it can happen on this timeline at whatever number we're at by then.  I might be able to do occasional work for my current company, which would be another big safety factor, but want to be able to plan without that crutch.

- So, I'm officially back to 2021, and the logistics planning is starting to get a bit more acute.  Since we plan to move as part of this, and have kids in school (such as it is these days), there's a long on-ramp to consider.  Aiming to buy the house in the new place before selling the current place. 

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #522 on: August 16, 2020, 10:44:15 AM »
Welcome back to the class of 2021!!

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #523 on: August 16, 2020, 11:03:32 AM »

PT kayak tour guide sounds like a perfect retirement gig.  Does he work for himself or for a local tour company?  What type of training or certification did that require?

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #524 on: August 20, 2020, 08:34:51 AM »
Hello all!  Fell off the thread for a bit (work crazy busy) but have been on calls all day and need to decompress, so thought I'd drop in.

Any developments from your work @the_fixer?  I hope they are being reasonable.

@ScreamingHeadGuy this really resonated with me:  "daily battle to not deploy the FU parachute" and also "Maybe I've just got hardcore "senioritis" and my mind just isn't into work anymore."  Because I've been at the same firm for 20+ years I've no idea if it's really become as toxic as I think it has.  Possibly I've changed more than it has.  Impossible to tell.  Either way, out seems good!

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.  I just fired up my spreadsheet and it says 149 more working days (assuming I work to the end of April, and netting off annual leave and bank holidays).  But I'm actually going to ask to go to a flexible contract from 1/1, so I may only have 71 days of "work commitment" left to go.  That would be better!  Talking to my big boss about that tomorrow... so wish me luck!

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: August 20, 2020, 02:54:37 PM »
Hello all!  Fell off the thread for a bit (work crazy busy) but have been on calls all day and need to decompress, so thought I'd drop in.

Any developments from your work @the_fixer?  I hope they are being reasonable.

I have decided that I am going to do my job on my terms and if they do not like it I will ask for a package, they can fire me or I will walk. If possible I would really like to make it to the end of the year as I get another year credit in my pension but I have made peace with leaving at this point.

Just a few of the reasons.

The majority of people not wearing masks at work and not social distancing despite it being required.

Got notified yet again that I was working in the same small space as a coworker that came down sick. That makes the 3rd time

My boss actually had the gall to say during a private call with me...
“we can not all hide in our houses forever” I responded sternly (as stern as I get LOL) that I have been busier than ever, I have done everything that needed to be done including going to the office despite being on the high risk list. He responded that he was not talking about me but followed up that... see it is a funny thing, work needs to get done and we can not all hide in our houses forever.

No pay raises this year possibly some pay cuts

On the plus side they are looking to cut some staff and talking about an early retirement package. I am going to recommend that they also offer a voluntary work force reduction package as well and put up my hand.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #526 on: August 20, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »
Well I'm sorry that all still sounds really shit.  I really hope you can sort yourself out a nice package and get out of there ASAP.

the_fixer

• Handlebar Stache
2021 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #527 on: August 20, 2020, 03:07:55 PM »
Thanks I appreciate it

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #528 on: August 20, 2020, 04:34:12 PM »
@LightTripper I hope your meeting goes well, I wish you the best of luck!!

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #529 on: August 22, 2020, 07:17:55 PM »
What would you do....

I have enjoyed my job and have been FI for awhile now.  I really could hang it up anytime, but I recently got a promotion that I really like--one that I had hoped to get (and IMHO deserved) several (8) years ago. Last year, I had some leverage--I had another job offer that was higher pay, much less commute, and better working conditions.  I said I was going to leave unless I got the promotion.  They gave it  to me, but labeled it "interim."  I accepted and my last year has been one of my most satisfying years in a very satisfying career....

Despite the promotion, I had a "drop-dead" date to retire in 2021.  I have settled on 4/31/2021.  I'm still going to do this, but my question is about timing my notice.

I will be eligible for my LAST raise in August.  This raise will significantly increase my pension, so I don't want to give them any excuse not to give me my raise.  Thus I will not give notice until after this date because I don't want them to revoke my "interim" promotion since I will be leaving.   However, I do want give them as much notice as possible because: (a) they  have been good to me; (b) I don't want the people I supervise to be severely affected; (c) I'd like the opportunity to train the person that will take my place....

That being said, in the back of my head, I'm afraid, even after my last raise, they may revoke my interim status and have me go back to my old position (in which case I'd just leave).  But that wouldn't maximize my retirement and would cause problems (a) through (c) above to occur.

So my question is....When would you give notice?  Right after my last raise?  January (4 months notice)?  Two weeks notice?  What would the MMM/Class of 2021 Cohort suggest?

Just an update...I got my raise (I'm topped out).  I think I'm going to give notice in November--that's six months before my last day of work (4/30/2021).  I think I have plenty of leverage for them not to revoke my "interim" status in that if they pulled that crap, Id just walk.  I'm also feeling that the sooner I give notice, the better.  We have been going through a restructuring of sorts.  It is hard for me to keep my mouth shut about the future, when I know what it is going to be....I think it would be easier for everyone if they can plan for my exit--and I will feel better that my people will know...

MoStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #530 on: August 23, 2020, 01:15:39 PM »

PT kayak tour guide sounds like a perfect retirement gig.  Does he work for himself or for a local tour company?  What type of training or certification did that require?

He is the only employee of an owner-operator couple. He had to get CPR certified for their insurance, and they trained him to empty the water from a flipped kayak and get a tourist back inside while in deep water. He is a smart, funny extrovert with a great knowledge of our local tides, currents, flora, fauna, and history who was kayaking every day anyway so it was a perfect fit.

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: August 24, 2020, 08:29:10 AM »
Just an update...I got my raise (I'm topped out).  I think I'm going to give notice in November--that's six months before my last day of work (4/30/2021).  I think I have plenty of leverage for them not to revoke my "interim" status in that if they pulled that crap, Id just walk.  I'm also feeling that the sooner I give notice, the better.  We have been going through a restructuring of sorts.  It is hard for me to keep my mouth shut about the future, when I know what it is going to be....I think it would be easier for everyone if they can plan for my exit--and I will feel better that my people will know...

Congratulations on the raise!  Hopefully your immediate managers don't have much incentive to rescind the promotion and raise even if they could (as any impact on your pension should come out of a different pot/budget entirely?)

I think the advice I've seen generally is to leave it as late as possible, but like you I think I will feel better if I give my employer as much chance as possible to create a smooth transition.  That's partly why I'm requesting to go to a flexible contract.  It's possible that on a part-time basis I'll start enjoying my job again and actually want to carry on - but I think it's more likely that this doesn't happen, in which case it will allow a more phased exit and more time to transition some of my job to other people (particularly the informal things I pick up because nobody else does - but aren't written down anywhere).

Whether they take advantage of that or not is up to them, but at least we'll know we've done our best to make it smooth (and if things did go down hill once you announce your retirement, you could in theory pull your exit date forward and just walk away as you said).

Must feel nice to have a firm date and plan!

nazar

• Stubble
« Reply #532 on: August 24, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »
Well, today should have been the start of a vacation week that got postponed at the last minute due to a project behind schedule. Was very tempted to OLY on the spot, but the carrot used to determined my timeline is soooooo close.  It's not like it was a vacation with travel plans after all. Sigh...

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

LightTripper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #533 on: August 24, 2020, 10:40:43 AM »
@LightTripper I hope your meeting goes well, I wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks @moneypitfeeder!  So far so good (but then my Big Boss is very reasonable and professional, so I kind of knew it would).  Still nice to have it done though.  Now the ball is in her court, and she will come back with some ideas on how we could structure things based on our discussion.

amberfocus

• Stubble
  • Hell hath no fury like a Mustachian with FU money
« Reply #534 on: August 24, 2020, 04:41:53 PM »
Hello there, all my lovely fellow Mustache people!

I've been lurking in this thread, creepin' on you all, for the better part of this year, trying to decide if I want to officially throw my hat into the class of 2021 FIRE cohort ring. My original timeline targeted FIRE in 2024 (when I turn 40) or 2025 (when the mortgage is paid off), but the income, savings, and market return numbers have really snowballed in our favor over the past few years (or decade, really), and we've managed to hit our FI numbers way ahead of schedule.

My FIRE date was never explicitly pegged on hitting a specific NW number, or even disliking my job, so I would have been perfectly happy to keep chugging along (and continue running up the score) until 2024/5 rolled around. However, after a really rough year at work in 2019 during which I suffered repeated mental breakdowns... I realized that maybe I ought to seriously consider deploying the FU stash, and just get out, especially if the situation does not improve.

So a new plan was hatched, where we would tie up various loose ends this year (mostly involving big ticket home repair projects that we've been putting off), and then I can give notice and be donezo either late 2020, or early 2021. That plan lasted all of two months before Covid hit, portfolios plunged (mine was still allocated 90/10, so it got pretty ugly), and I desperately tried to talk my exhausted and stressed out self into sucking it up for the remaining duration of the pandemic, so that I could keep buying low through the next recession. I am so confused by the market recovery, and fear that it isn't real/won't last.

(Also, most of the house projects never got done, because bringing in potentially plague-ridden contractors didn't feel right. Plus, they were all already booked by everyone else trying to do the same exact thing we were doing.)

Anyway, the main reason I'm waffling on 2021 is because the future still feels so uncertain. I want to see if there's a fall wave, if the vaccines and therapies work, if the market crashes again (and stays crashed this time), or if President Fuckface Von Clownstick actually gets re-elected. And I still have no idea how these factors will influence my decision to move forward with FIRE in 2021. Am I the only one who feels that way, and is on the fence as a result?

At the end of the day, I just have to convince myself that it's win/win either way -- either I hold onto the security (and salary) of a genuinely impactful job (I'm actually doing Covid research these days, which is not helping the burnout, guilt, or ambivalence that I'm feeling about walking out), or I get to enjoy some well-earned freedom with the rest of you fine folks.

In the meantime, checking these forums keeps me sane. This is quite a year, and quite a journey to be on, so thank you all.

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #535 on: August 24, 2020, 06:01:43 PM »
@amberfocus hang in there! We are here if you decide 2020,2021 or beyond is your date :) I'll let others weigh in on the market, if my fire was reliant on them I don't know where my confidence would be either. The only thing I will add is thank you for any work you are doing to combat this crazy virus, you are greatly appreciated. If you are at or near burnout, then you should (at a minimum) consider a change if you want to continue working. But if you are getting personal satisfaction working, and if you are really needing the market to be more stable to hit your goals, it might be worth sticking it out a bit longer.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #536 on: August 24, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »

Anyway, the main reason I'm waffling on 2021 is because the future still feels so uncertain. I want to see if there's a fall wave, if the vaccines and therapies work, if the market crashes again (and stays crashed this time), or if President Fuckface Von Clownstick actually gets re-elected. And I still have no idea how these factors will influence my decision to move forward with FIRE in 2021. Am I the only one who feels that way, and is on the fence as a result?

No, you’re not alone.  I went through this same phase, except for the pandemic part, two years ago myself.  It took some soul-searching, but eventually I proved to myself the math worked out and I needed to quit worrying and trust numbers. 

Now I am still hanging on because my plan says to (even though the math tells me to flip the desk and storm out - but only figuratively because I don’t want to have to clean up a mess in my basement - yesterday).

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #537 on: August 25, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »

I've been lurking in this thread, creepin' on you all, for the better part of this year, trying to decide if I want to officially throw my hat into the class of 2021 FIRE cohort ring. My original timeline targeted FIRE in 2024 (when I turn 40) or 2025 (when the mortgage is paid off), but the income, savings, and market return numbers have really snowballed in our favor over the past few years (or decade, really), and we've managed to hit our FI numbers way ahead of schedule.

My FIRE date was never explicitly pegged on hitting a specific NW number, or even disliking my job, so I would have been perfectly happy to keep chugging along (and continue running up the score) until 2024/5 rolled around. However, after a really rough year at work in 2019 during which I suffered repeated mental breakdowns... I realized that maybe I ought to seriously consider deploying the FU stash, and just get out, especially if the situation does not improve.

So a new plan was hatched, where we would tie up various loose ends this year (mostly involving big ticket home repair projects that we've been putting off), and then I can give notice and be donezo either late 2020, or early 2021. That plan lasted all of two months before Covid hit, portfolios plunged (mine was still allocated 90/10, so it got pretty ugly), and I desperately tried to talk my exhausted and stressed out self into sucking it up for the remaining duration of the pandemic, so that I could keep buying low through the next recession. I am so confused by the market recovery, and fear that it isn't real/won't last.

(Also, most of the house projects never got done, because bringing in potentially plague-ridden contractors didn't feel right. Plus, they were all already booked by everyone else trying to do the same exact thing we were doing.)

At the end of the day, I just have to convince myself that it's win/win either way -- either I hold onto the security (and salary) of a genuinely impactful job (I'm actually doing Covid research these days, which is not helping the burnout, guilt, or ambivalence that I'm feeling about walking out), or I get to enjoy some well-earned freedom with the rest of you fine folks.

In the meantime, checking these forums keeps me sane. This is quite a year, and quite a journey to be on, so thank you all.

@amberfocus Why not start with a sabbatical? "FIRE" temporarily, take a year off to recharge and re-calibrate. If in 12 months you look around and FIRE isn't long-term manageable, go back into the work force and build up your nest egg so more. I have to imagine, any number high enough for you to consider FIRE this year must also be high enough to give you a 1-year reprieve from the craziness of work.

frizzywhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #538 on: August 25, 2020, 02:30:28 PM »
I’m sadly going to have to remove myself from this cohort!  The costs for our new home are coming in higher than we hoped which means at least one more year for me!  I’ll be cheering you all on from afar!

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #539 on: August 25, 2020, 03:51:01 PM »

@amberfocus Why not start with a sabbatical? "FIRE" temporarily, take a year off to recharge and re-calibrate. If in 12 months you look around and FIRE isn't long-term manageable, go back into the work force and build up your nest egg so more. I have to imagine, any number high enough for you to consider FIRE this year must also be high enough to give you a 1-year reprieve from the craziness of work.

I second this recommendation.  I originally retired in 2018 but went back to work a year later.  I was okay financially but I was not mentally prepared.  I have  worked 13 months at a new job which pays more and is more fun than my last job.  My stache is up quite a bit and I am in a much better place mentally.  I plan to retire sometime in the next 8 months but I have not decided exactly when.   

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #540 on: August 25, 2020, 05:27:51 PM »
I come from the 2022 thread to chime in on sabbaticals. It is currently theoretical for us, but we have considered either taking a leave of absence then returning or leaving work for awhile then seeking new employment closer to family. The possibilities are endless once you learn to think outside the box!

amberfocus

• Stubble
« Reply #541 on: August 25, 2020, 11:33:53 PM »
@amberfocus hang in there! We are here if you decide 2020,2021 or beyond is your date :) I'll let others weigh in on the market, if my fire was reliant on them I don't know where my confidence would be either. The only thing I will add is thank you for any work you are doing to combat this crazy virus, you are greatly appreciated.

Awww, that truly warmed my heart. Sometimes, a kind word from a stranger makes all the difference. Thank you. <3

If you are at or near burnout, then you should (at a minimum) consider a change if you want to continue working. But if you are getting personal satisfaction working, and if you are really needing the market to be more stable to hit your goals, it might be worth sticking it out a bit longer.

You're totally right about making some changes. I realize now that I was letting the short-term urgency of the Covid situation drive me to overwork (60+ hour weeks), which eventually led to a hard crash after doing this for months on end. And with everyone else feeling the same sense of urgency, I was egged on, rather than encouraged to function in a more sustainable manner.

I'm starting to have the conversations to rectify this. If nothing else, I don't want a potential exit to be attributed to hard feelings regarding burnout; and in the best case scenario, it would enable me to last longer if I want to do so. I've already offloaded some responsibilities that I was less enthusiastic about, and have modulated expectations in other areas. I'm hoping this will translate to better quality of life in the near future.

No, you’re not alone.  I went through this same phase, except for the pandemic part, two years ago myself.  It took some soul-searching, but eventually I proved to myself the math worked out and I needed to quit worrying and trust numbers. 

Now I am still hanging on because my plan says to (even though the math tells me to flip the desk and storm out - but only figuratively because I don’t want to have to clean up a mess in my basement - yesterday).

Thank you for that perspective. Soul-searching is definitely on order, although the numbers themselves are actually the easiest part for me. Truth be told, the portfolio's never been better (especially after I dumped the cash I'd set aside for bond reallocation into stocks instead when the market started to tank). Obviously, another major crash would still hurt, but could at least be somewhat mitigated if I actually execute my planned reallocation (which I will re-attempt in the next month or so when cashflow frees up).

So I'm not really worried about the stash, I have a solid game plan for that. It's... everything else. Although we're FI, the SO plans to continue working, not because we need the money per se, but because he wants to hold onto a guaranteed source of health insurance in case they succeed in striking down the ACA this time around. But a prolonged economic downturn driven by the pandemic, plus any potential fall Covid waves, may threaten job stability in his field. So if I quit my job, he loses his, and then the ACA goes down, I worry that his pre-existing conditions might make him uninsurable. I don't really see a way to hedge against non-financial risks like that. The only contingency that cannot be brute-forced is healthcare, IMO.

I second this recommendation.  I originally retired in 2018 but went back to work a year later.  I was okay financially but I was not mentally prepared.  I have  worked 13 months at a new job which pays more and is more fun than my last job.  My stache is up quite a bit and I am in a much better place mentally.  I plan to retire sometime in the next 8 months but I have not decided exactly when.   

I come from the 2022 thread to chime in on sabbaticals. It is currently theoretical for us, but we have considered either taking a leave of absence then returning or leaving work for awhile then seeking new employment closer to family. The possibilities are endless once you learn to think outside the box!

I really love the sabbatical idea -- to the point where I looked up my workplace's leave of absence policy. Unfortunately, the longest leave I qualify for is 3 months, and that's pending approval by management. Given that it's all hands on deck right now, I doubt approval would be forthcoming (at least not for any justification that I could give). I also work as part of a very close-knit team, and my particular job function lacks redundancy, so subbing me out would be nontrivial. I might have more leverage if I tip my hand regarding early retirement, but I don't know if I want to do that that just yet. Maybe I can suggest it as a compromise option if I decide that I'm ready for FIRE next year, but want to see if my employer is willing to leaving that door open, just in case.

How close to the vest has everyone kept their early retirement plans? I have some really close friends at work that I'd love to talk to, but I'm too afraid to disclose this.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #542 on: August 27, 2020, 07:51:36 PM »
@amberfocus while I used the word sabbatical, I actually meant quitting your job with the intent of looking for a new job in 12 months if you don't like the new life.

It's more of a mindset "I'm not leaving the workforce forever, I'm doing a 12-month trial and seeing if I want to go back or not."

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #543 on: August 27, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »

How close to the vest has everyone kept their early retirement plans? I have some really close friends at work that I'd love to talk to, but I'm too afraid to disclose this.

Pretty much everyone at Megacorp knows our plans, but the timing is a bit vague. To be fair, it changes from day to in our own heads, as well. Recently DH's manager was putting out some feelers and he was asked if he could commit to two more years. Well, it was almost exactly two years (visiting from the 2022 thread) from our most recent timeline, so he said yes. Actually, he said yes, but I will probably need to take an extended leave at that time...

amberfocus

• Stubble
« Reply #544 on: August 29, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »
@amberfocus while I used the word sabbatical, I actually meant quitting your job with the intent of looking for a new job in 12 months if you don't like the new life.

It's more of a mindset "I'm not leaving the workforce forever, I'm doing a 12-month trial and seeing if I want to go back or not."

Ah, thank you for clarifying! Thinking it through, that actually does change the calculus a bit. If I weren't into FIRE, I'd actually consider my current job to be a 'keeper' -- well-compensated, lovely coworkers, high impact, and near-endless opportunities for engagement and growth (if you have the aptitude and motivation). I've also built quite a lot of professional, social, and political capital there over the past decade. Leaving/taking a break feels a lot more risky if the downside is wiping all of that out and having to start over at a brand-new workplace.

I would absolutely take a trial run if I can hold my current position in reserve if I change my mind. But given that a leave of absence may not be an option, I would have to be fairly sure that I'm ready/want to leave before I go through with it.

mindfulrun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #545 on: August 29, 2020, 09:09:35 AM »
Hi all!
I'm new here.  Once I discovered FIRE and this blog, I quickly adjusted my spending (I was buying really stupid stuff in hindsight) and realized I could retire much sooner than I thought.  My goal is now April 2021 (at the age of 43). 

Most of my assets are tied-up in tax advantaged accounts, so I'm trying to find the most optimized plan to live for the next for the next 17 years until I reach 59 1/2.  Fortunately, my wife wants to continue to work so that helps a lot with not only healthcare but how to bridge the huge gap in my taxable account.  I'm currently leaning towards the Roth conversion ladder.  During the first five years, I'll exhaust our taxable account and may have to dip in to my Traditional IRA (after I retire I'll rollover my 401K, which is the bulk of my portfolio) and take the 10% penalty as needed.  I like the flexibility with Roth conversions as compared to SEPP (I mean, it's entirely possible I'll generate some taxable income in the next several years and I may not need the continued SEPP payments).

I look forward to learning and going on this journey with all of you!

moneypitfeeder

• Stubble
« Reply #546 on: August 29, 2020, 05:30:50 PM »
Welcome @mindfulrun, hope 2021 is great for you!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #547 on: August 31, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »
Finances:
December 2018 - 79.7% (22.3 x expenses)
December 2019 - 107.3% (30.0 x expenses)
January 2020 - 109.3% (30.6 x expenses)
February 2020 - 103.7% (29.0 x expenses)
March 2020 - 94.9% (26.6 x expenses)
April 2020 - 100.4% (28.1 x expenses)
May 2020 - 105.3% (29.5 x expenses)
June 2020 - 106.9% (29.9 x expenses)
July 2020 - 111.2% (31.1 x expenses)
August 2020 - 114.9% (32.2 x expenses)

Everything from my July update is still applicable.  Never in my wildest dreams had I expected to see this bounce-back from March lows so soon and then to blow past the February high just six months later. 

I've come up with a strategy of which funds to sell first, how much IRA to convert to Roth, etc. for 2021, assuming current tax law and ACA continues; we'll see if this plan holds into January.  Maybe it could be optimized, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. 

Life:
If only complaining about weight was an actual strategy we'd all be svelte.  But I did lose another 3 lbs last month, so I guess complaining - combined with the usual suspects of exercize and controling what I eat - get results.  Now I've beaten my "stretch" goal so I'm just going to see how much more I can lose by the end of October.  Certainly, long term, my goal is to maintain a <169 pound weight.

School (virtual until conditions change) starts for my daughter tomorrow.  I'm disappointed (as is my wife and daugher) there won't be in-person learning for a while - but the school district doesn't want to risk exposing anyone to certain viruses at this moment (and apparently is having a hard time attracting substitute teachers so they'd likely have to cancel certain classes if teachers were out).  That means my girl will get about 2 hours of actual contact with a teacher each day (30 minutes of which will be art, music, or PE).  At least the child is getting into independent reading so she can do that by herself. 

I had a four-day weekend this past month, and it was amazing.  I replaced the blinds, fixed the fence gate, and took a nap every day.  I paid for it with a HUGE backlog of emails when I returned. 

My company did a second round of layoffs this past month, some of which hit workers in my department.  Our workforce is now about 15% smaller than it was in March. 

I'm working on the final adventure(s) of the four-year-long D&D campaign I DM.  I don't know if I can ever do an appropriate "pay-off" to the plot, but I'm certainly going to let loose with every trick, plot swerve, and NPC guest appearance I haven't used up so far and hope the players dig it. 

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #548 on: August 31, 2020, 10:43:44 PM »
I've come up with a strategy of which funds to sell first, how much IRA to convert to Roth, etc. for 2021, assuming current tax law and ACA continues; we'll see if this plan holds into January.  Maybe it could be optimized, but I'm pretty comfortable with it. 
I'm just starting to approach this problem myself; perhaps '21 will be my year.  I've looked at i-ORP, and am considering writing something myself to help with it.

What strategy did you come up with?
How'd you decide it was the right one for you?

... some of this may be hard to discuss without knowing the volume of funds that need converting.  I understand if you prefer not to describe things precisely.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #549 on: September 01, 2020, 07:29:11 PM »
The roster is updated for everybody through post #597

So far we have 58 folks here who will be FIRE in 2021 and 5 will OLY into 2020. 

Average age of 2021ers is 46.32 (based on those who provided an age at FIRE date).  2020 average age is 48.32 (so far).  2019 average age was 47.38.

NameAge (at FIRE)FIRE Date
AldiEarly 50s1/23/2020 OLY
CrazyIT563/13/2020 OLY
Mmm_Donuts3/20/2020 OLY
Marcher Lady499/30/2020 OLY
Zinnie 38 10/22/2020 OLY

Matz_70501/1/2021
moneypitfeeder421/15/2021
123211/23/2021
Sultan58January
ScreamingHeadGuy412/5/2021
MoStash532/21/2021