Author Topic: 2020 FIRE Cohort  (Read 539914 times)

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2020 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #1350 on: January 29, 2020, 08:43:21 PM »
I am starting to get really excited about the next phase of my life.... and I have absolutely no idea what I will be doing.

I have always enjoyed change and I have always had difficulty making big decisions.

Now I have firmly made the decision to FIRE as soon as I hit my target number, I can’t wait for the final few percent of savings to accumulate in my stash.

I really look forward to posting on this thread Next year to report back on what unexpected twists and turns my life will take Post Fire. Adventure awaits.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1351 on: January 30, 2020, 01:56:56 AM »
01/01/20  Linea_Norway (@46)          CONFIRMED
01/01/20  firebrand                   CONFIRMED
01/01/20  Nancy                       CONFIRMED
01/01/20  openroadadventure (@53/50)  CONFIRMED
01/07/20  alienbogey's wife           CONFIRMED
01/15/20  Nifty
01/15/20  Nickel (@55)                CONFIRMED
01/15/20  GettingClose's husband      CONFIRMED
01/31/20  ATS (@52)                   CONFIRMED
01/31/20  DisplacedHoosier (@57)      CONFIRMED
01/??/20  Now-non
02/03/20  grobinski (@52/53)          CONFIRMED
02/03/20  IslandFIGirl                CONFIRMED
02/07/20  JumboShrimp                 Given notice
02/29/20  Fresh Bread
02/??/20  RetireAbroadAt35
03/01/20  Bmjohnson (@50)             Given notice
03/13/20  CrazyIT                     Given notice
03/13/20  ysette9 (@38)
03/20/20  Mmm_donuts
03/??/20  FInding_peace (@38)   
03/??/20 or 04/??/20  Padonak   
03/??/20 or later 20  Beeboy (@46)
03/31/20  texxan1
03/31/20  wildatheart (@53)
04/02/20  CptCool
04/03/20. Maenad   
04/09/20  rab-bit's wife              Given notice
04/14/20  MarcherLady
04/??/20  DreamFIRE   
04/??/20  Exit2019
04/??/20  Pennycounter   
04/24/20  aspiringnomad (@37)         Given notice
04/??/20 or later 20  robtown   
04/??/20 - 07/??/20  JoJo
05/01/20  Much fishing to do 
05/15/20  SailingOnASmallSailboat's DH (@50/51)
05/15/20  BeanCounter
05/15/20  Lucky13 (@44)
05/22/20  Body Surfer
05/31/20  Dee18
05/??/20  Rcc     
05/??/20  Lady Stash (@45)
06/01/20  Albireo13 (@64)
06/05/20  thelyon19
06/05/20 (or April) rab-bit (@59)
06/16/20  Kteach
06/??/20  Farmgirl (@61)
06/??/20  ixtap (date uncertain)     
07/01/20  FireLane (@38)   
07/01/20  Unique User (@50)
07/??/20  SugarMountain
07/??/20 or later 20  MMM123
07/??/20. bas5252 (@55)
07/??/20  2sk22 
07/??/20  SpreadsheetMan
08/01/20  HappyCheerE (@55)
08/??/20  Bateaux   
09/??/20  Dan23
10/??/20  Rubyvroom   
11/01/20  Alienbogey
11/30/20  Itchyfeet
11/??/20  Alternatepriorities
12/31/20  BFGirl
12/31/20  Freedomin5 (@38)
12/??/20  david_shin   
12/??/20  MoneyTree (@36)   
12/??/20  Nora (@42)   
12/??/20  Sand101   
12/??/20  TheFIExplorer     
??/??/20  EscapeVelocity2020   
??/??/20  apurplelife   
??/??/20  BlueMR2     
??/??/20  catccc   
??/??/20  DadzillaGorilla (FI@35, RE@40)   
??/??/20  FIREstache (@55)     
??/??/20  LadyMaWhiskers   
??/??/20  letsdoit   
??/??/20  onlykelsey     
??/??/20  tooqk4u22     
??/??/20  Fresh Bread
12/??/20  desk_jockey
??/??/20?  Gumption

To be decided: tipster350

OLY:   
meatgrinder   
Life in balance (end of 2019)
2Birds1Stone (autumn 2019)
Firebrand (second week of December 2019)

OMY:   
RedefinedHappiness   
FIREby2021 (Q1 2021)   
TheContinentalOp (2021)

FIREing later:   
FIPurpose (date to decided)   
ToughMother (date to be decided)
GettingClose working 50% and not in management from 04/01/2020 for another year.
Katmandew (@54), parttime from 02/29/2020.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 10:41:31 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1352 on: January 30, 2020, 02:10:19 AM »
Congratulations, CrazyIT, ATS, DisplacedHoosier, and IslandFiGirl!

My husband saw his last patient as of January 15, and is FIREd.  He's still potentially doing some low-income clinic work, but it will be only because he wants to.  He's finding it very strange - he says that he's walked around with a huge bucket of anxiety and stress for 30 years, and now that he's dumped it out there is a big, unsettling absence. He was a perfectionist at work; for example there is a particular procedure which is unsuccessful 5-7% of the time, but he only had two unsuccessful cases over his entire career, in good part due to his high anxiety about getting a good outcome. Now there's nothing to worry or stress about - all the kids will be launched by June, our marriage is excellent, our health is good, and so there's nothing to distract him from thinking about how he wants to live his life now that basically anything is possible.

I'm going half-time on April 1, and will probably do that for about a year.  Even more exciting than that is that I have someone to replace all my management/planning/executive responsibilities, and I'll go back to being a pure developer. (OK, that's a bit of wishful thinking, but at least it will be a strong move in that direction.)  This will make my work so much more fun, since it's rarely the development that is stressful.   My hours will be calculated quarterly, so that I'll have the option of 30 days full time followed by 30 days off.  In addition, I'll keep health insurance, keep 401(k) eligibility, and get paid overtime for extra hours!  Around various certifications costing the company thousands of dollars per retest hour, I've several times worked 80-100 hour weeks on salary, so this will be great.

Like others have said above, "I'm a bit worried that even half-time work will fill too much of my headspace."   If so, I can quit.  At least I hope that I can - life without work is almost incomprehensible, despite working so long for FIRE.

Does this count as FIRE?  Linea_Norway, how do I get my name and GettingCloseSpouse on the list if it does?

I think that switching to 50% for a year in an easier job will be very good for your mind, especially with the flexibility. If you can't imagine a life without work and it scares you, then you could try to develop more hobbies or habits during that year of part time work. Then the shock wouldn't be as big.

My husband also quit his management job before FIRE. But as it took some time to find a successor in a country with three month notice periods. So he got to enjoy his new role for only 4 months. But already that was noticeable. He had one problem colleague and now he could only think: not my problem anymore.

I put you both on the list. Your husband as FIREd and you as working a bit longer.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1353 on: January 30, 2020, 02:11:18 AM »
DW gave her notice on Tuesday which was met with near-panic by her captors bosses. She is now negotiating a rentention bonus and increased salary to work a few days per week for the next couple of months so that they can hire a replacement for her to train. But she has told them that she has a hard stop the first week of April.

I'm keeping my official date at June 5th for now but I will most likely move it up to early April to align with hers.

DW has now signed a retention deal with additional compensation that will keep her employed until April 9. After that she will no longer be an employee but may occasionally do a few hours of consulting for them.

Also, we're far enough along with our condo renovation that we've started moving in there. The goal is to be completely moved out of our current residence and get it listed for sale by mid-February.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1354 on: January 30, 2020, 02:18:10 AM »
DW gave her notice on Tuesday which was met with near-panic by her captors bosses. She is now negotiating a rentention bonus and increased salary to work a few days per week for the next couple of months so that they can hire a replacement for her to train. But she has told them that she has a hard stop the first week of April.

I'm keeping my official date at June 5th for now but I will most likely move it up to early April to align with hers.

DW has now signed a retention deal with additional compensation that will keep her employed until April 9. After that she will no longer be an employee but may occasionally do a few hours of consulting for them.

Also, we're far enough along with our condo renovation that we've started moving in there. The goal is to be completely moved out of our current residence and get it listed for sale by mid-February.

We will also list our house again, in the beginning of March. I hope we both succeed in sale for an acceptable price.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1355 on: January 30, 2020, 05:16:02 AM »
Good luck @rab-bit and @Linnea_Norway on the house sale front. We are planning to list our house in March as well.

Just got the internet bill for the house and I am so excited to not pay that bill anymore (we're moving onto our boat so won't have an internet bill.)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1356 on: January 30, 2020, 06:50:27 AM »
Good luck @rab-bit and @Linnea_Norway on the house sale front. We are planning to list our house in March as well.

Just got the internet bill for the house and I am so excited to not pay that bill anymore (we're moving onto our boat so won't have an internet bill.)

Will you be using mobile data on your phone? I consider an internet connection very vital nowadays. Even on a sailboat you would need it for weather, harbour information, etc.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1357 on: January 30, 2020, 07:15:04 AM »
Congratulations, CrazyIT, ATS, DisplacedHoosier, and IslandFiGirl!

I'm going half-time on April 1, and will probably do that for about a year.  Even more exciting than that is that I have someone to replace all my management/planning/executive responsibilities, and I'll go back to being a pure developer. (OK, that's a bit of wishful thinking, but at least it will be a strong move in that direction.)  This will make my work so much more fun, since it's rarely the development that is stressful.   My hours will be calculated quarterly, so that I'll have the option of 30 days full time followed by 30 days off.  In addition, I'll keep health insurance, keep 401(k) eligibility, and get paid overtime for extra hours!  Around various certifications costing the company thousands of dollars per retest hour, I've several times worked 80-100 hour weeks on salary, so this will be great.

Like others have said above, "I'm a bit worried that even half-time work will fill too much of my headspace."   If so, I can quit.  At least I hope that I can - life without work is almost incomprehensible, despite working so long for FIRE.

This sounds very similar to the change I made a little over a year ago.  Though the hours are sometimes heavy (things that need to get done now need to get done now), i generally average 20 week, which is about right for me (compared to the 70/wk I would often average), and though all the pains can't be forever ridden, the main stressors are gone (I was the business owner and the chance of losing real serious money was often real and in my face, now I get a paycheck).  I'm currently in this cohort, and some weeks I can't wait to FIRE, but those are fewer and further between now as I get more settled into this new position.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1358 on: January 30, 2020, 07:21:23 AM »

Will you be using mobile data on your phone? I consider an internet connection very vital nowadays. Even on a sailboat you would need it for weather, harbour information, etc.

Yes, we'll be using mobile data on the phone. You're right that internet is pretty important, although when we're crossing long oceans we still won't have it. (My husband developed a way to get weather routing information via a Garmin InReach, which we will have even when no internet is available.) So I suppose the more correct thing to say is that I'm excited to be done with the house internet bill; we already have our cell phones and that bill. :)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1359 on: January 30, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
We set my FIRE goal for my birthday of 2020 (in Nov) as our goal for FIRE a few years ago. Running the numbers with DW last night and realized we're already (skinny) FI!. We've also realized the DW isn't ready for RE just yet because she finds a lot of value and meaning in her work. She may work for 4-5 more years. I'm already self employed and not overly worried about how much I earn in a year but I'm not sure I want to keep it up past Nov. Can I still join to 2020 FIRE Cohort if DW keeps working?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1360 on: January 30, 2020, 02:34:05 PM »
We set my FIRE goal for my birthday of 2020 (in Nov) as our goal for FIRE a few years ago. Running the numbers with DW last night and realized we're already (skinny) FI!. We've also realized the DW isn't ready for RE just yet because she finds a lot of value and meaning in her work. She may work for 4-5 more years. I'm already self employed and not overly worried about how much I earn in a year but I'm not sure I want to keep it up past Nov. Can I still join to 2020 FIRE Cohort if DW keeps working?

Of course you can join the cohort. FIRing alone while your spouse is working, is real FIRE. Several people on this site do this. I hope you will enjoy your freedom and take over a few more of the home tasks that your wife currently does.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1361 on: January 30, 2020, 03:40:38 PM »
Totally. My husband is going to do another 1-1.5 years but I am quitting and we have reached FI together already.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1362 on: January 30, 2020, 03:45:26 PM »

Of course you can join the cohort. FIRing alone while your spouse is working, is real FIRE. Several people on this site do this. I hope you will enjoy your freedom and take over a few more of the home tasks that your wife currently does.
Thanks!

I already take care of most of our home tasks since my self employment doesn't take as many hours as DWs employment. I don't think that will change much if I stop working. I will probably take on a project like remodeling or building a house to reduce our cost of living further and reduce energy use. I might go get my pilot's license but that would probably increase our spending...

GettingClose

• Stubble
« Reply #1363 on: January 30, 2020, 04:53:16 PM »
Thank you, Linea_Norway and Much Fishing to Do, for the "half-time" anecdotes.

I have a lot of hobbies and interests, so my concern is not how to spend the days.  It will be the switch from being productive and useful and necessary to ... just doing what pleases myself.  It will be the difference between spending the day solving problems and doing development for software of significant importance to finding a good recipe for dinner and reading Dorothy Sayers mysteries by the fire.  On one hand - wonderful!  Until I think of going to bed at night and reviewing the day before going to sleep.    Hopefully "not my problem" will help a lot.

Much Fishing to Do, how hard was it to switch from being the guy that everyone looked to for answers/guidance to "employee" status?  How do manage to work as a member of the group you once led?  Was it difficult to transition the responsibilities from yourself to your replacement?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1364 on: January 31, 2020, 03:47:47 AM »
Last working day for ATS today. I hope you enjoy your last day and have time for feel giddy

On Monday grobinski will follow. Maybe today is the last working day as well.

Last working week for IslandFIGirl and JumboShrimp.

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1365 on: January 31, 2020, 05:36:08 AM »
Last working day for ATS today. I hope you enjoy your last day and have time for feel giddy

Exit interview, eat some cake, lunch with coworkers, send out a farewell email, turn in badge and computer.

That’s on my to-do list today.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1366 on: January 31, 2020, 06:01:07 AM »
Congratulations, @ATS!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1367 on: January 31, 2020, 10:50:12 AM »

Exit interview, eat some cake, lunch with coworkers, send out a farewell email, turn in badge and computer.

That’s on my to-do list today.
That is an excellent to do list. Congratulations and happy Friday!

openroadadventure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1368 on: January 31, 2020, 01:54:29 PM »
Add us to 2020! I was planning to retire mid-April but evilcorp laid me off 2 weeks before Christmas (called me while on the road for them working 12 hour days and traveling cross-country on Saturdays). So woohoo!

openroadadventure (@53/50) CONFIRMED

We are selling everything (including the house) and leaving town for a nationwide RV tour that could last anywhere between 1 and 10 years :-)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1369 on: January 31, 2020, 02:16:59 PM »
Add us to 2020! I was planning to retire mid-April but evilcorp laid me off 2 weeks before Christmas (called me while on the road for them working 12 hour days and traveling cross-country on Saturdays). So woohoo!

We are selling everything (including the house) and leaving town for a nationwide RV tour that could last anywhere between 1 and 10 years :-)

1-10 year road trip sounds like fun. If you head up to Alaska and want any local guidance look me up.

"Evilcorp" is right. That's ridiculous but hooray for FI!

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: January 31, 2020, 04:20:20 PM »
Please add me to the list.  My last working day is May 31.

grobinski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd - 02.03.20!
« Reply #1371 on: January 31, 2020, 04:32:04 PM »

Congrats and good luck openroadadventure! Perhaps our paths should cross!

grobinski

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIREd - 02.03.20!
« Reply #1372 on: January 31, 2020, 04:56:47 PM »

Congrats ATS!

Monday is my actual last working day, but i've been off since Jan 3. It has been wonderful! Have spent insane amounts of time reading, reflecting, traveling and getting my life in order!

Plan for Monday is:

Pass physical files to HR and supervisor
Turn in p-cards
Some cathartic cleaning
Help some clients
Support anybody I can
Turn in keys
Sign out of applications
Wipe computer accounts
Pass out thank you gifts
Dole out some candid parting wisdom (get over yourselves!)
Share a beverage or two with friends
Get out without regrets

This has been a 25 yr odyssey and the job and I are somewhat synonymous but the job will go on without me and I am looking forward to the next adventure!

grbnski!

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1373 on: January 31, 2020, 05:21:16 PM »

Congrats ATS!

Monday is my actual last working day, but i've been off since Jan 3. It has been wonderful! Have spent insane amounts of time reading, reflecting, traveling and getting my life in order!

Plan for Monday is:

Pass physical files to HR and supervisor
Turn in p-cards
Some cathartic cleaning
Help some clients
Support anybody I can
Turn in keys
Sign out of applications
Wipe computer accounts
Pass out thank you gifts
Dole out some candid parting wisdom (get over yourselves!)
Share a beverage or two with friends
Get out without regrets

This has been a 25 yr odyssey and the job and I are somewhat synonymous but the job will go on without me and I am looking forward to the next adventure!

grbnski!
[/quote]

Woo hoo! Last day sounds awesome, so many adventures to come!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1374 on: January 31, 2020, 08:25:06 PM »

[/quote

Whoooooo congratulations!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1375 on: January 31, 2020, 11:38:20 PM »

Your are lucky to be in a situation where your lay-off wasn't problematic at all. Congrats for that.
Was your first retiree day on the first of Jan or today?

openroadadventure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1376 on: February 03, 2020, 05:04:28 PM »
Jan 1st was our official start of FIRE! Thanks for everyone's support!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1377 on: February 03, 2020, 09:54:58 PM »
Jan 1st was our official start of FIRE! Thanks for everyone's support!

Congrats!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1378 on: February 03, 2020, 10:00:11 PM »
Apologies if this has already been posted and to those who have already FIREd, but this pre-FIRE checklist might be helpful to the cohort:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/pre-fire-checklist/

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1379 on: February 04, 2020, 01:50:44 AM »
@RetireAbroadAt35 are you on schedule to quit in feb and do you have a date?

@Fresh Bread are you on schedule to give notice to quit on the last day of Feb?

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1380 on: February 04, 2020, 02:05:21 AM »
I'm self-employed so just becoming SWAMI once we are FI (once we have tenants).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1381 on: February 04, 2020, 02:21:25 AM »
I am curently transferring the list into courier characters for formatting reasons and therefore need to make every line narrower by deleting characters.
But on my phone it take a lot of time, therefore I only do a bit at the time. The rest will be done later.
I got nuts of the fact that the formatting was different on my ipad and my phone. Therefore the change.

Body Surfer

• Stubble
« Reply #1382 on: February 04, 2020, 07:41:18 AM »
I am curently transferring the list into courier characters for formatting reasons and therefore need to make every line narrower by deleting characters.
But on my phone it take a lot of time, therefore I only do a bit at the time. The rest will be done later.
I got nuts of the fact that the formatting was different on my ipad and my phone. Therefore the change.

Linea_Norway: i am glad you are staying with us on this thread....would not be the same without you. Thanks for all u do for us

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1383 on: February 04, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
I definitely won’t be FIREing in April, but definitely will FIRE at some point this year.

Just pencil me in for 30 November for now. It could be earlier. We will see how the year goes.

I am not really sure what will the final trigger, but the long stop date has us back living in Australia, amongst family and friends  before XMas.

Our tenants lease expires in August and we won’t sign a new lease term but leave it week to week from then on and tell them to vacate by Christmas. If they decide to vacate in August then we might move home then.  We could also FIRE in June before our summer vacation, and if this is the case then I will give notice in March.

The volatility of the markets these past weeks has seen my NW bounce around a little, particularly as I am a bit exposed to emerging markets, but as of today I am now at 95.3% of my target number, so feel comfortable I will be close enough this year.

Lucky13

• Stubble
« Reply #1384 on: February 04, 2020, 08:10:53 PM »
I am not really sure what will the final trigger, but the long stop date has us back living in Australia, amongst family and friends  before XMas.

Our tenants lease expires in August and we won’t sign a new lease term but leave it week to week from then on and tell them to vacate by Christmas. If they decide to vacate in August then we might move home then.  We could also FIRE in June before our summer vacation, and if this is the case then I will give notice in March.
Does that mean you might have *two* summers, one in June-July (assuming you're now in Northern Hemisphere) and one in Australia's summer (Dec/Jan)?   That sounds like a good plan. :) 

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1385 on: February 04, 2020, 09:48:41 PM »
Well, it's official, I had my last day at work and was officially done tonight at 7pm.  I cried a little, I'm going to miss my good friends at work and then I got home and told myself HEY! you quit for a reason, quit yer crying...And THEN, after being home less than 10 minutes, I got a text asking me could I work tomorrow to cover for someone who is sick?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....um, how about NOOOOOOOOO!!!  Unbelievable!  Stick a fork in me, I'm DONE!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1386 on: February 04, 2020, 09:57:54 PM »
Well, it's official, I had my last day at work and was officially done tonight at 7pm.  I cried a little, I'm going to miss my good friends at work and then I got home and told myself HEY! you quit for a reason, quit yer crying...And THEN, after being home less than 10 minutes, I got a text asking me could I work tomorrow to cover for someone who is sick?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....um, how about NOOOOOOOOO!!!  Unbelievable!  Stick a fork in me, I'm DONE!
Done!!
Congrats on having made it to the finish line. What a perfect ending to make sure you don’t feel guilt or sad about leaving. Let them figure their problems out themselves now!

IslandFiGirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1387 on: February 04, 2020, 10:07:10 PM »
Done!!
Congrats on having made it to the finish line. What a perfect ending to make sure you don’t feel guilt or sad about leaving. Let them figure their problems out themselves now!

Yesssssss!!!  Not my problem anymore...never going back.  Never, ever!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1388 on: February 04, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »
Done!!

I was asked, with 1 day notice, to cover a few night shifts on my last week in the office.  The simple answer, NO, no exclamation point or anything, just NO.   I had  just come back from a month-long field assignment of 13 hour shifts.  Everyone survived.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1389 on: February 05, 2020, 08:53:25 AM »
Does that mean you might have *two* summers, one in June-July (assuming you're now in Northern Hemisphere) and one in Australia's summer (Dec/Jan)?   That sounds like a good plan. :)

We have enjoyed 2 summers for many years as we always fly south for Christmas.... but in all these years we have only had time to spend 1 week in Australia over Christmas. From now on we will spend as long as we want in each hemisphere every year...

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1390 on: February 05, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »

Congrats. How awesome to be free of all that

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1391 on: February 08, 2020, 09:04:44 AM »
I decided 100% doing this year... target date somewhere between April 10 to July 10.  I have to burn off a bunch of days off first. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1392 on: February 08, 2020, 10:45:51 AM »
@JumboShrimp
How was your last day yesterday?

Lucky13

• Stubble
« Reply #1393 on: February 08, 2020, 06:11:15 PM »
This week I told one of my coworkers (he's my best buddy at work) about my retirement plan, even though I told myself "trust no one!" and don't mention it until the date gets closer. He was talking about maybe changing roles, and I said, "Do you want my job?" without thinking much, and I then I had to explain when I meant. He seemed genuinely happy for me, and now I'm glad I told someone at work, now I will have someone to talk to besides this thread lol. :D 

Have you told any of your coworkers, how did they react?

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1394 on: February 08, 2020, 07:12:42 PM »

I had thought for some time that I would FIRE in 2020, but with the uncertainty of the future of the ACA (ongoing litigation) and elections later this year, I decided to hold off until after the elections and maybe until there's a final ruling on the ACA in regard to the constitutionality of the mandate now that the penalty is zero, and whether the entire ACA must fall as a result.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1395 on: February 08, 2020, 08:45:58 PM »
This week I told one of my coworkers (he's my best buddy at work) about my retirement plan, even though I told myself "trust no one!" and don't mention it until the date gets closer. He was talking about maybe changing roles, and I said, "Do you want my job?" without thinking much, and I then I had to explain when I meant. He seemed genuinely happy for me, and now I'm glad I told someone at work, now I will have someone to talk to besides this thread lol. :D 

I have not told co-workers, but I want to hire my successor (internal promotion from another country) without letting my management know I when I am leaving. Still trying to work out how to play that.

I won’t tell my colleagues what I plan on doing even when I leave. They won’t relate.

I was out at lunch with friends yesterday discussing our plans to return to Australia and I mentioned I probably wouldn’t be working anymore in the future. The looks I got were disbelief and a seeming inability to comprehend that I wouldn’t want to work and continue to improve my financial position. I felt my friends really did not believe I could even contemplate not working - that I was daydreaming some fairytale fantasy that is not at all real life. It will be interesting to see if they are correct (in so far as FIRE pertains to me personally). I still have some doubts with the way our financials are today, and the amount of restructuring I need to do post-fire to get my ducks in a row. I hope it will all work out. If it doesn’t I’ll just get a job. No biggie.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1396 on: February 09, 2020, 04:07:25 AM »

I have told one friend/colleague. She is envious, pleased for me, and trying to talk me out of it. She keeps saying 'if x role was available/if we got a new boss/if you didn't have to do y anymore, would you stay?' I think at the minute nothing positive could happen that would make me stay. Obviously if a major negative thing happened and our £ was no longer going to see us through, then I would stay. I have serious Short Termer Syndrome and everything about work feels like too much effort. It's the time of year we have to write our annual objectives right now, which is always torture, but feels like such a big waste of time at the moment!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1397 on: February 09, 2020, 07:39:13 AM »
Writing objectives always feels like a waste of time as pay rises and bonuses always seem to be given on a subjective basis.

If your boss wants to reward you they won’t care what the objectives were, and vice versa.

That said, I found it mildly amusing when my boss was listing objectives for me for the year and I was thinking, I’ll never see any reward from achieving any of those joyless objectives so don’t be expecting much effort from me towards their acheivement.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1398 on: February 09, 2020, 11:30:08 PM »
At my (previous) employer we would be given objectives per half year. I was called in for such a meeting 2 weeks before I had planned to hive my mandatory 3 month notice. I didn't want to pretend, so I started the meeting by asking for a year long sabattical and telling I would quit if that wasn't given.

I was still given an objective for my remaining time, which I just managed to fulfill. Although it didn't give me any additional bonus. The company didn't have the option of giving bonuses.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1399 on: February 10, 2020, 05:21:55 AM »
Somewhat similar thing happened to me recently. I had my review for the year and my manager encouraged me to apply for a "promotion" (but it's not really a promotion, more of a lateral move with no salary increase that would set me up for real promotions in the future). He had also suggested that I apply for it last year and I'm sure that he must think that I have no ambition because I dragged my feet on it. Of course I know that it's pointless because I have only a few months left, but I still said "Oh yeah, I'll start working on that". He'll understand the real reason soon enough.