Author Topic: 2020 FIRE Cohort  (Read 540041 times)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2020 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #1050 on: October 18, 2019, 09:15:03 PM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/when-you-retired-early-how-did-you-resign/   has a lot of pros and cons about various resignation notice lengths.

@markbike528CBX I read your epic resignation letter - we definitely need to have a hall of fame here to recognize such letters :-)

My resignation email when I quit megacorp earlier this year was just a couple lines long. One thought that occurs to me is that there are a huge number of websites that aim to help you look for jobs while this is the one forum that helps you quit!

[Blushes]  It is really not that epic, and mostly was ignored.  I had been working on it for several years, whenever a irritation point would arise. 

From a prior (19 years earlier) resignation letter....
"A large factor in my decision to seek employment elsewhere is the continued use of failed management systems, and the continual addition of requirements, permissions and controls. All of these things add major impediments to accomplishing even the simplest of tasks. While "tilting at windmills" is humorous when done by Don Quixote, or the first time one does it, several years of such activity are distinctly less humorous. This resignation is an indication of a lack of confidence in future improvements in productivity at the laboratory. I am essentially "voting with my feet". You may use/distribute this letter as you see fit."

Of course this letter also had zero impact. 
When there is an "exit interview" or resignation letter I feel it is good karma to spell out what made you unhappy enough to leave.  Some people are willing to work an issue if they have documentation to support their process changes and if they are made aware of the issues.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1051 on: October 19, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/when-you-retired-early-how-did-you-resign/   has a lot of pros and cons about various resignation notice lengths.

@markbike528CBX I read your epic resignation letter - we definitely need to have a hall of fame here to recognize such letters :-)

My resignation email when I quit megacorp earlier this year was just a couple lines long. One thought that occurs to me is that there are a huge number of websites that aim to help you look for jobs while this is the one forum that helps you quit!

[Blushes]  It is really not that epic, and mostly was ignored.  I had been working on it for several years, whenever a irritation point would arise. 

From a prior (19 years earlier) resignation letter....
"A large factor in my decision to seek employment elsewhere is the continued use of failed management systems, and the continual addition of requirements, permissions and controls. All of these things add major impediments to accomplishing even the simplest of tasks. While "tilting at windmills" is humorous when done by Don Quixote, or the first time one does it, several years of such activity are distinctly less humorous. This resignation is an indication of a lack of confidence in future improvements in productivity at the laboratory. I am essentially "voting with my feet". You may use/distribute this letter as you see fit."

Of course this letter also had zero impact. 
When there is an "exit interview" or resignation letter I feel it is good karma to spell out what made you unhappy enough to leave.  Some people are willing to work an issue if they have documentation to support their process changes and if they are made aware of the issues.

This should have been quite a wake up call for management. But when will they ever admit that they themselves are the problem?
What your letter suggests, is that no one works there for their enjoyment anymore and will leave as soon as they have a better option.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1052 on: October 19, 2019, 12:54:36 AM »
My employer has a new policy where they give you an extra month of pay, if you give one year of notice before retirement.  I'm thinking of doing this, some already have.   You have to quit on the day you sign up for if you do this.  My earliest official retirement date, unfortunately is in June of 2023.  That's a long time to wait for an extra month of pay.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1053 on: October 19, 2019, 01:52:00 AM »
That was an entertaining exit letter! I think the fact that you actually gave it to them is most amusing. We all compose things like this in our heads but to actually make it reality? Most don’t have the guts.

I was packing up my desk earlier this week for a move and came across a print out of the exit letter I sent to my former VP and CEO when I left my old company. I found myself being impressed at Old Me for what I had put together. It was super carefully worded and all of that, but that same sense of catharsis in finally being able to share some of those pain points that finally pushed me out the door.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1054 on: October 22, 2019, 07:34:10 AM »
I had a weird meeting at work. The "scrum team" had been called in for a meeting about who could take over my tasks. I was also invited and was not asked to prepare anything at all. The person who sent the invite didn't prepare anything either and just asked the team how to solve it. One person suggested hiring a consultant for the time until my replacement is hired, which process could take half a year from now.

Earlier I had sent a very detailed list to my manager with my tasks, so when the meeting stagnated, I fetched my pc and found that email. I mentioned that half of the list was not the responsibility of this team, but were general tasks that the manager should find a replacement for. After a lot more unproductive back and forth, we ended up going through the relevant half of the list and writing down whether the team possessed the knowledge and whether someone wanted to take responsibility for it.

During that meeting my peers were talking about me as if it was my funeral: like I was already gone, nothing but good about the dead and I was the most effective person on the planet. One suggested to hire 3 people to replace me, while I currently work only 80%.

As nobody had prepared and there was nothing in the room but some tiny post-it notes and my PC, I was the one who ended up sharing my screen and writing down in an excel sheet who had knowledge and who wanted to take responsibility. And I had so hoped that the division of my tasks would be my problem to deal with. At least, I didn't speak so as I usually do much during the meeting. It turned out that the team has a lot of knowledge and I only need to teach a few people a few things. And do one major task, but that was already my most important task to do before I leave.

GettingClose

• Stubble
« Reply #1055 on: October 27, 2019, 11:53:49 AM »
I'd like to join this cohort.  It's going to be really hard to quit work.  I've worked for a small company (~80 employees) for my entire career and I'm pretty sure it's going to founder within a year or two of my leaving.  People I've worked with for decades are going to lose their jobs and I hate feeling that responsibility. 

However, my husband and I are financially beyond ready, and over the past year I've lost any feeling that I'm actually contributing anything to society as a whole.

I've worked so hard for so long that I'm a bit worried about the "first Tuesday".  I could very easily work 1/2 time or less indefinitely, but I don't want to watch the inevitable slow decline of everything I've worked to keep together ...

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1056 on: October 27, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
I'd like to join this cohort.  It's going to be really hard to quit work.  I've worked for a small company (~80 employees) for my entire career and I'm pretty sure it's going to founder within a year or two of my leaving.  People I've worked with for decades are going to lose their jobs and I hate feeling that responsibility. 

However, my husband and I are financially beyond ready, and over the past year I've lost any feeling that I'm actually contributing anything to society as a whole.

I've worked so hard for so long that I'm a bit worried about the "first Tuesday".  I could very easily work 1/2 time or less indefinitely, but I don't want to watch the inevitable slow decline of everything I've worked to keep together ...

Welcome to the cohort.

If you announce your leaving a long time ahead, the company can start planning. You could also hint, instead of telling them the actual plans.
Sad that they are so depending on you. I have that feeling also a bit. But we should be allowed to think of our own health and life. Even my manager said it was okay to prioritize my own life and that the company would solve it.

When are you going to pull the plug and at what age? Just for the list, but feel free not to answer if you don't want to.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1057 on: October 29, 2019, 10:01:08 AM »
My wife gave notice yesterday.  Her last day is January 6th, which is a month later than she had hoped but her boss asked her for the extra month.

It was easy for her to say yes because she's really good friends with her boss, who was in sad+happy for her tears before they were done.

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1058 on: October 29, 2019, 12:03:21 PM »

At some point the company will have to figure out how to survive without you.   Ford continues without Henry Ford, Apple continues without Steve Jobs.  You can't bear the responsibility for the company succeeding alone, if your working there is the only thing keeping it going then they aren't paying you enough.

It's hard when you feel that responsibility, the emotional part is often times harder than the money part of FIRE. 

A compromise could be a long transition out, you seem to be amiable to not leaving soon.  That gives them time to identify how to back-fill and train and it gives you peace of mind that you aren't leaving them in the lurch.  The transition could be up to a year (6 months full time so they can identify and back-fill for your position and start training, 3 months at 3 days a week to continue transition and training and 3 months at two days a week - or whatever works best for you).  That transition also gives you some runway to adjust before jumping into full FIRE.

You could also negotiate a retention bonus for the year transition, but that's up to you.

If the company can't replace an employee in a year with that employee's help you are absolved of any guilt if things go south after you leave.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:46:05 PM by ATS »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1059 on: October 29, 2019, 01:32:06 PM »
01/01/2020     Linea_Norway's official day (@46) + firebrand's official day (both fired in practice a few weeks earlier)
01/2020          Farmgirl (@61)
01/2020          Now-non   
01/06/2020     alienbogey's wife
01/31/2020     ATS (@52)
01/31/2020     DisplacedHoosier (@57)
03/01/2020     Katmandew (@54)
02/2020          Freedomin5 (@38)
03/06/2020     CrazyIT   
03/2020          FInding_peace (@38)   
03/2020          rab-bit (@58)   
03/2020          TheContinaltalOp   
03-04/2020     Padonak   
03-04+2/2020 Beeboy (@46)
04/03/2020     Maenad         
04/2020          DreamFIRE   
04/2020          Exit2019   
04/2020          Itchyfeet   
04/2020          Pennycounter   
04-05/2020     aspiringnomad (@37)   
04-12/2020     robtown   
05/2020          Body Surfer   
05/2020          Lady Stash (@45)   
05/01/2020     Much fishing to do   
05/2020          Rcc     
06/01/2020     Albireo13 (@64)
06/2020          ixtap (date uncertain)   
07/2020          bas5252 (@55)
07/2020          2sk22   
07/01/2020     FireLane (@38)   
07/01/2020     Unique User (@50)   
07-12/2020     MMM123   
08/2020          Bateaux   
10/2020          Rubyvroom   
11/01/2020     Alienbogey   
12/202?          desk_jockey   
12/31/2020     BFGirl   
12/2020          david_shin   
12/2020          MoneyTree (@36)   
12/2020          Nora (@42)   
12/2020          Sand101   
12/2020          TheFIExplorer   
12/2020          ysette9 (@38)   
??/202?          Gumption   
??/2020          EscapeVelocity2020   
??/2020          apurplelife   
??/2020          BlueMR2     
??/2020          catccc   
??/2020          DadzillaGorilla (FI@35, RE@40)   
??/2020          FIREstache (@55)     
??/2020          LadyMaWhiskers   
??/2020          letsdoit   
??/2020          onlykelsey     
??/2020          tooqk4u22     

OLY:   
meatgrinder   
Life in balance (end of 2019)
2Birds1Stone (autumn 2019)
Firebrand (second week of December 2019)

OMY:   
RedefinedHappiness   
FIREby2021 (Q1 2021)   

FIREing later:   
FIPurpose (date to decided)   
ToughMother (date to be decided)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 12:40:09 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1060 on: October 29, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
My wife gave notice yesterday.  Her last day is January 6th, which is a month later than she had hoped but her boss asked her for the extra month.

It was easy for her to say yes because she's really good friends with her boss, who was in sad+happy for her tears before they were done.

I added your wife to the list. Congrats to her.
Are you still planning to stay on to November?

DisplacedHoosier

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1061 on: October 29, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »
I can officially join the cohort.  Last day is scheduled for January 31, 2020 at 57.  Although I will be taking a fair bit of January off.

I passed the 30-year mark at MegaCorp this year and the politics, commute, and endless meetings finally made me jump.  Still hard because there are many good people there that I will miss greatly. 

Been running the numbers for the past few years working toward this goal.  Paid off the house... Cut spending...  Empty nesters...  MegaCorp provided HC and pension...

Feels weird and almost makes me feel guilty to have this opportunity, but we've come to realize that money can't buy more time.  I haven't been "jobless" since I was 14.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1062 on: October 30, 2019, 12:12:58 AM »
I can officially join the cohort.  Last day is scheduled for January 31, 2020 at 57.  Although I will be taking a fair bit of January off.

I passed the 30-year mark at MegaCorp this year and the politics, commute, and endless meetings finally made me jump.  Still hard because there are many good people there that I will miss greatly. 

Been running the numbers for the past few years working toward this goal.  Paid off the house... Cut spending...  Empty nesters...  MegaCorp provided HC and pension...

Feels weird and almost makes me feel guilty to have this opportunity, but we've come to realize that money can't buy more time.  I haven't been "jobless" since I was 14.

Welcome to the club. 57 is a decent age to be retiring. Don't feel guilty about it. After a while you will probably start feeling a bit giddy as the date approaches.

I have 36 actual working days left, minus whatever I have by then in flexi hours. I have started to feel giddy already.

BiuBiu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1063 on: October 30, 2019, 12:54:33 AM »

I just noticed Markbike, he was the fearless leader of 2019, and FIRE`d in 2018.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1064 on: October 30, 2019, 01:10:09 PM »

IMO it is unlikely that you are the single key to the whole company.
Reality check: does the company keep a life insurance policy on you about equal to company capitalization?  If not, then the company doesn't think you're THAT key.
Are you the sole proprietor? If so, YOU should have succession plans in place.

I was one of two senior people in my sorta-key position. I left, they've been managing fine.

Some years ago, one of my colleagues stated "If so-and-so left ( technical lead/manager), we would be SO screwed".  Well, "so-and-so" left, we had to work a little harder, but otherwise did not notice.
The colleague who made the statement is now the big manager of the group, and is doing fine.

@BiuBiu , just curious. "noticed"?  I hope in a good way.
Well except I HAVE been trying to poach people from this and other cohorts :-) SORRY, NOT SORRY.
@Trifele and Loren Ver have been leading 2019 siince I got too busy with being FIREd.
And I was never fearless, but I FIREd anyway and so should all of you.

GettingClose

• Stubble
« Reply #1065 on: October 30, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »
When are you going to pull the plug and at what age? Just for the list, but feel free not to answer if you don't want to.

Waiting to set a date until the sale of our house goes through (set for November 15).  Guessing in May or June.

If you announce your leaving a long time ahead, the company can start planning.

I told the CEO "five more years" about three years ago, and have been training two people to replace me, one for management functions and one for technical.

IMO it is unlikely that you are the single key to the whole company.
If either the CEO or I leave, the success of the company is questionable.   I do most sincerely hope you're right.

alienbogey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1066 on: October 30, 2019, 11:04:53 PM »

I added your wife to the list. Congrats to her.
Are you still planning to stay on to November?

So far.   :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2019, 01:42:31 AM »

Some years ago, one of my colleagues stated "If so-and-so left ( technical lead/manager), we would be SO screwed".  Well, "so-and-so" left, we had to work a little harder, but otherwise did not notice.
The colleague who made the statement is now the big manager of the group, and is doing fine.

I have also experienced this. We used to have a very central system administrator, who I thought was irreplaceable. But one day he quit. I heard rumors that he had done something he wasn't supposed to and was asked to leave immediately. Maybe sexual harassment or something. The company chose to let him go despite him being a valuable resource and the company survived without him.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1068 on: October 31, 2019, 02:00:52 AM »
Well, I am not going to make October. And unlikely to make 2019.

New target is Feb 7 2020.
Job has been pretty enjoyable and there are some big deadlines in play that make leaving early next year a much better proposition. Delaying for a few months is no big deal and I certainly don't want to be burning any bridges.

My original plan was Oct 2018 but discovered I wasn't quite ready when that rolled around so just let OMY syndrome take over. Since then I have crossed the line where I know my time left is more valuable than the money I can make at a job. Got things I want to do while I'm still healthy. I'd like to say while still young but that passed me by a decade or 2 ago.

Health care considerations have definitely the biggest source of anxiety. I was kind of hoping the DW would keep working for benefits, but she did not enjoy her work so she quit at the end of August. We will be maxing out health benefits over the next few months while we still have the cushy plan from my employment and after that we'll just have to launch out into the unknown.

I know that making some kind commitment /deadline will help keep me focused so I don't drag things out any longer than Feb 7. To that end I have rented an apartment in Spain starting in mid February and and going to buy non-refundable airline tickets in the next few days to make sure any backsliding as painful as possible.

As of tomorrow, 100 calendar days, 67 work days left. Each with a smile on my face.

Welcome to the 2020 FIRE cohort, @JumboShrimp .

Smart that you committed to moving away physically. I have seen an early retiree taking OMY and then leaving and after a month or 2 again picking up work for their former employer. Having fun somewhere else hopefully doesn't tempt you to go back to work.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1069 on: October 31, 2019, 07:29:15 AM »
Given our current savings rate and the growth of our net worth, I think we will be FI by 02/2020. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1070 on: October 31, 2019, 07:34:50 AM »
Given our current savings rate and the growth of our net worth, I think we will be FI by 02/2020. :)

Well done. February is there before you know it.

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1071 on: October 31, 2019, 08:28:05 AM »
Happy Halloween everyone! 

For me the closer my date gets the harder it is to stay focused on work related tasks.  Not that its a bad thing but having the S&P at an all time high as well as my funds doesn't help either.   haha

127 days 6 hours.....around 80 working days.  not that I am counting or anything.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: October 31, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »
Happy Halloween, 2020ers!

As of month's end, I've reached my FIRE target: $1.5M in LNW, almost $1.8M with home equity.

At an extremely safe 3.25% WR, that's $48,000 a year. With no mortgage or other debts, that ought to be more than enough to live on. I'm planning to work just a little longer to top up my cash holdings and pay for some overdue home renovations.

2019 is almost over, and 2020 will be here before we know it. I'm getting excited!

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1073 on: November 01, 2019, 09:25:00 AM »
Please add me to the list for June 1, 2020. 
I was on the 2019 list but, we just moved into our "forever house" this year and have been
spending a lot of money on improvements, while we are still working.   
I figure it's an investment in the future so I'll work a bit longer into 2020.

My thought is to give notice in April and see how it goes.  They may want me around a few months.
In any case I want to be out in time to enjoy the summer.

I will be 64 so, not exactly RE.  My countdown timer shows 212 calendar days!    : )

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1074 on: November 01, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
I was on the 2019 list but, we just moved into our "forever house" this year and have been

My thought is to give notice in April and see how it goes.  They may want me around a few months.

I will be 64 so, not exactly RE.  My countdown timer shows 212 calendar days!    : )

Welcome to the cohort. Nice that you have found your forever house. I still need to find it.

Just a little question that I have wondered about for a long time. Are you a hobby astronomer, with that user name? I am and hope to get more time in 2020 to spend many hours outside in the middle of the night.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1075 on: November 01, 2019, 12:13:16 PM »
I was just thinking about this thread! DH and I hit FI in the summer, and have been building up cash in preparation for some large expected capital expenses (replacing the driveway, etc.). We did our month-end finances today, and it looks likely that we'll hit our RE number in February. My bonus pays out in March, so once that clears I'll give my notice. Anticipated FIRE date April 3, 2020!

After 20 years of planning, it's scary seeing it come up so fast!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1076 on: November 01, 2019, 12:22:09 PM »
Exciting!

The last spreadsheet update I did had is $5k short of our number. Yowza

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1077 on: November 01, 2019, 03:08:32 PM »
I was just thinking about this thread! DH and I hit FI in the summer, and have been building up cash in preparation for some large expected capital expenses (replacing the driveway, etc.). We did our month-end finances today, and it looks likely that we'll hit our RE number in February. My bonus pays out in March, so once that clears I'll give my notice. Anticipated FIRE date April 3, 2020!

After 20 years of planning, it's scary seeing it come up so fast!

Congrats on reaching your number. I also quit after getting my new payrate that was paid out for the period May-September. And after the last day I need to receive my new pension that has one year minimum employment.

April is far enough away to mentally prepare for it. You might find it in your last months/weeks difficult to concentrate on work and more thinking about FIRE.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1078 on: November 01, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
The market heading upward today was just enough to push us over the line. We have officially crossed into FI territory.

For now, at least. I’m sure girations will pull us back under again, maybe even for a good while. But wow, that seems like a big deal and totally anticlimactic at the same time.

2020 is looking real, folks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1079 on: November 01, 2019, 09:05:36 PM »
The market heading upward today was just enough to push us over the line. We have officially crossed into FI territory.

For now, at least. I’m sure girations will pull us back under again, maybe even for a good while. But wow, that seems like a big deal and totally anticlimactic at the same time.

2020 is looking real, folks.

Congrats. My DH sometimes things that if the stockmarket goes down when we FIRE, that that should lead to OMY, which I think is nonsense. If you have cash to sit it out during that dip, then it doesn't matter when that inevitable dip will come and go up again.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1080 on: November 01, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
Thank you.
In our case we are planning on at least one of us working OMY for various reasons. I had expected to get to this point sometime next year, so we are a little ahead of schedule.

It does feel like we aren’t truly there until we have some more margin in our number though, as things can go down just as easily as they can go up.

Now we really need to get our asset allocation closer to our target!

bas5252

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1081 on: November 01, 2019, 09:44:19 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I'm excited to see this thread because I have not told anybody (beside my husband) of my plan to retire July 2020.   I have 36 weeks left at my job at BigCorp where I have been for 22 years.  I dream of retirement and think about it every day.  I'm tied to that date because I turn 55 in July 2020 and my pension will take a significant jump, so it makes financial sense to ride out the next 8 months.

Once you have made the decision, have the finances worked out, and set a date, how do you keep your "head in the game"?  I won't give notice until Spring, and it is hard to not find many aspects of my job annoying and frustrating.  It is going to be a really long 8 months if I can't put aside this feeling of not wanting to go to work every morning.  I'm interesting in hearing your strategies.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1082 on: November 02, 2019, 12:46:31 AM »
Hi Everyone.  I'm excited to see this thread because I have not told anybody (beside my husband) of my plan to retire July 2020.   I have 36 weeks left at my job at BigCorp where I have been for 22 years.  I dream of retirement and think about it every day.  I'm tied to that date because I turn 55 in July 2020 and my pension will take a significant jump, so it makes financial sense to ride out the next 8 months.

Once you have made the decision, have the finances worked out, and set a date, how do you keep your "head in the game"?  I won't give notice until Spring, and it is hard to not find many aspects of my job annoying and frustrating.  It is going to be a really long 8 months if I can't put aside this feeling of not wanting to go to work every morning.  I'm interesting in hearing your strategies.

Welcome to the cohort.

My strategy is thinking at each annoyance is that at least, I am on my way out and don't need to deal with it forever. I also look forward to the tasks I don't have to do anymore.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: November 02, 2019, 03:51:29 PM »

I just focus on the parts of the job I enjoy and find myself tolerating less BS. Interestingly, that has made me a better worker in the eyes of my superior, not worse. I also remind myself that I’d like to finish strong - no sense burning bridges right before you leave.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1084 on: November 02, 2019, 03:51:45 PM »

Adopt a mantra “This, too, shall pass.” 

Accept any work related BS as a small price to pay, for a limited time, in return for the rest of your life in freedom.

Channel your inner The Dude. 

bas5252

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1085 on: November 02, 2019, 08:31:14 PM »
Thanks for the perspectives! 

I know that 8 months isn't really much in the scheme of it all.  Only 36 more Mondays to dread, which does not seem so bad when I think about it.  I'm just ready to move on to the next phase on my life!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1086 on: November 03, 2019, 08:16:33 AM »
Thanks for the perspectives! 

I know that 8 months isn't really much in the scheme of it all.  Only 36 more Mondays to dread, which does not seem so bad when I think about it.  I'm just ready to move on to the next phase on my life!

Maybe install a counter program on your phone that counts the remaining Mondays. I have one that shows a fire and counts remaining working days, Mon-Thur in my case. Motivating to look at from time to time.

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1087 on: November 03, 2019, 09:49:39 AM »
Hello 2020 crew ... I've been away during the last couple of monthly update days, so catching up a bit here.

Aug/Sep/Oct Highlights:

- Steady progress toward meeting our saving and giving goals.  Progress continues to be muted due to poor company stock performance relative to the broader market, but I honestly don't mind some stress on the portfolio as we seek to reach our FI number.  We have also been spending on some future costs (2020 vacation, knocking out some of our FIRE home remodel projects today vs. 2021, etc.).  Anyway, we have finally exceeded 91% progress for the first time.

- Work has been pretty stressful, really since the summer began.  We are under-staffed, but there is a real light at the end of the tunnel effective January, so I look forward to that.  Lots of good work to be done, and my team is awesome ... just looking forward to being more balanced whereby I can lean more heavily on my team to handle the day-to-day and week-to-week work.  I also have a new boss, who seems to be pretty good ... will need to work on laying out my 2020 plans/needs for some remote work again, but I will wait to do that until the turn of the calendar.

- Travel: In order to continue making the most of TODAY, while saving and planning for the FUTURE, we are still in the mode of saying "YES" to most everything that comes our way when it comes to time with friends, family, trips and opportunities, etc.  August was an international work trip for me.  September we had an awesome vacation to our future FIRE location with some friends.  October was full of several long-weekend adventures, celebrating a destination wedding with friends, and visiting our new nephew.  November & December will cruise along, as I have another international work trip and we'll be spending time off from work visiting family during the Christmas holidays.  2020 will be here before we all know it!

- As of today, our NW progress covers the following: a paid-off FIRE home, funded FIRE lump sums (giving, renovation budget, new car, etc.) and a WR of 4.29% based on our target annual spend (living expenses, taxes, home maintenance, travel, healthcare, etc.).

- Countdown: Assuming monthly progress remains on par with our historic averages, we should reach our WR goal of 3.75% by Q4-2020, but who knows what lies ahead.  My whiteboard countdown tracker now shows 16 months to reach our most-likely FIRE target timing of Q1-2021.

EOY 2015 = 53.8%
EOY 2016 = 67.8%
EOY 2017 = 75.5%
EOY 2018 = 81.6%

// FI target defined as 3.75% WR, mortgage-free + lump sums funded //

END OF MONTH PROGRESS:
JAN 2019  84.5%
FEB 2019  86.9%
MAR 2019 88.4%
APR 2019 89.0%
MAY 2019 86.1%
JUN 2019 89.3%
JUL 2019 89.6%
AUG 2019 88.6%
SEP 2019 90.3%
OCT 2019 91.2%

Have a great November!

FIREby2021

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1088 on: November 03, 2019, 10:38:27 AM »
So nice to cross that 90% mark finally :)

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1089 on: November 04, 2019, 08:36:34 AM »

Congrats! 

I found myself at first the same as you annoyed and frustrated with my job.

I had to have a talk with myself and wake up with a smile every morning.  I haven't shared my FIRE date (3/6/2020) with anyone at work yet so its my "little secret".   I definitely have been taking the easy road at work and trying to keep the stress level down. 

What helps me is to find different milestones to look forward to.  Like how many days left, or months, or working days, or biweekly meetings.  Other things includes plan health related things and check them off the list (dental, physical, etc.).  Also financial things.  My house is paid for so I took out a HELOC.  I will plan to carry $0 balance but have the money available for 10 years if I ever need it.   I have read a couple books on retirement and enjoy planning the future.  I have my first grandchild on the way about the time I FIRE.  Have plans to travel around with motorhome in a year or two after.  All of those occupy my thoughts and help me make it through then next few months.

Today is Monday..... Check one more Monday off the list and move on!

Also being part of this forum helps and is inspiring.

123 days !

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: November 04, 2019, 12:40:23 PM »
Just a reminder, there is a checklist

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/pre-fire-checklist/

It engenders great piece of mind to know that lots of others have thought this through.

Friendly reminder: It is not to late to join the 2019 cohort. Don't worry, everyone here will be happy for you. :-)

Disclosure: OP of 2019 cohort thread, OLY FIREd in 2018. 
Edited:[was 2918, thanks jeroly for the catch, 900 years of OMY would be the definition of hell]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 12:53:29 PM by markbike528CBX »

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1091 on: November 04, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
Just a reminder, there is a checklist

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/pre-fire-checklist/

It engenders great piece of mind to know that lots of others have thought this through.

Friendly reminder: It is not to late to join the 2019 cohort. Don't worry, everyone here will be happy for you. :-)

Disclosure: OP of 2019 cohort thread, OLY FIREd in 2918.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b9dd09dd-61cf-4d7a-a7bf-e70299f40558

(Is he from the future?)

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1092 on: November 04, 2019, 01:55:58 PM »
So nice to cross that 90% mark finally :)

Yes, thank you!! You know it! :)

Sand101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1093 on: November 04, 2019, 06:00:18 PM »

EOY 2015 = 53.8%
EOY 2016 = 67.8%
EOY 2017 = 75.5%
EOY 2018 = 81.6%

// FI target defined as 3.75% WR, mortgage-free + lump sums funded //

OCT 2019 91.2%

Looking back on my progress your numbers and mine are quite close.  I ended up 2018 at 77% and am now at 94%.  Funny enough, also settled at using 3.75% as a good WR.

So, good on ya and keep up the good work.  It seems as you go I go!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1094 on: November 04, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »
We hit our inflation-adjusted FI number on November 1. Wife gave notice a month ago and will be unemployed in a month. I need to start thinking about giving notice for next year and the logistics of a big cross-ocean move. We've firmly landed on "sabbatical" as our messaging to colleagues, family, and friends rather than "early retirement." Sabbatical is probably more accurate anyway. But shit is getting real.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1095 on: November 04, 2019, 11:23:54 PM »
We hit our inflation-adjusted FI number on November 1. Wife gave notice a month ago and will be unemployed in a month. I need to start thinking about giving notice for next year and the logistics of a big cross-ocean move. We've firmly landed on "sabbatical" as our messaging to colleagues, family, and friends rather than "early retirement." Sabbatical is probably more accurate anyway. But shit is getting real.

Sounds like an big plan. Please don't bother to move furniture. Consider the cost of moving against buying this new or second hand at the destination.

On the other hand, I once moved to another country using a sea container with our furniture. That was the cheapest option at that time. We had only two hours to load and unload it.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #1096 on: November 05, 2019, 03:48:06 PM »
We hit our inflation-adjusted FI number
@aspiringnomad would you care to elaborate on what you mean by this? And congrats. I think we'll also say something like "sabbatical", too.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1097 on: November 06, 2019, 11:57:19 AM »

Welcome to the cohort. Nice that you have found your forever house. I still need to find it.

Just a little question that I have wondered about for a long time. Are you a hobby astronomer, with that user name? I am and hope to get more time in 2020 to spend many hours outside in the middle of the night.

Yes I am.  I have a few telescopes and have enjoyed the hobby since my childhood.  Have made a few telescopes in the past, including grinding my own mirrors. 

Star gazing at night is a great way to recover from a bad day at work!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1098 on: November 06, 2019, 11:15:25 PM »
We hit our inflation-adjusted FI number
@aspiringnomad would you care to elaborate on what you mean by this? And congrats. I think we'll also say something like "sabbatical", too.

Thanks! I originally targeted our number about six years ago, so I made it a slowly moving target by adding in a 3% annual inflation assumption. Inflation turned out to be less during that span, but I never adjusted that assumption. So our NW target with a 4% SWR crept up about $210k by the time we crossed it last week. I realize that inflation is baked into the SWR assumptions going forward, but it seemed appropriate it to do it prior to reaching our target. The solid reddish line in the graph below is our target number, moving up over time to account for inflation (blue is NW, purple is withdrawal rate, and green is the FI gap).
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:17:39 PM by aspiringnomad »

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1099 on: November 06, 2019, 11:21:18 PM »

Sounds like an big plan. Please don't bother to move furniture. Consider the cost of moving against buying this new or second hand at the destination.

On the other hand, I once moved to another country using a sea container with our furniture. That was the cheapest option at that time. We had only two hours to load and unload it.

Yeah, I'm leaning heavily against moving any furniture with us. We do have one heavy sentimental piece but it's currently in a friend's garage anyway. I might cost out container vs. replacement at some point, but it's certainly less of a hassle to just buy new furniture post-move.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!