Author Topic: 2020 FIRE Cohort  (Read 539956 times)

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 2020 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #1000 on: September 25, 2019, 07:32:10 PM »
we are also leaving

basically, why would you live in the bay area if you don't have to for work?  great restaurants and nice weather, but polluted, expensive, and crowded

it's going to be frustrating to figure out how to rebuild a circle of friends

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1001 on: September 25, 2019, 08:43:34 PM »
we are also leaving

basically, why would you live in the bay area if you don't have to for work?  great restaurants and nice weather, but polluted, expensive, and crowded

it's going to be frustrating to figure out how to rebuild a circle of friends
This is a question we are and have been pondering. My husband seems less tied to the Bay Area than me. I would consider moving to a very small set of other locations, such as Seattle. Here are the reasons that keep me here:

Family/friends/where I grew up
Weather
Outdoor activities
The great diversity of people and culture and activities that are attractive to us.

For example: we are raising our kids bi/tri-lingual. I speak French to them and my husband speaks mandarin. In the Bay Area we can find plenty of activities and friends and events for them in both languages. Hell, my oldest has two francophone kids in her mandarin immersion kindergarten class in addition to her. I can buy French kids books at garage sales here and put her in French Girl Scouts if I want while she gets to celebrate autumn festival and moon cake at public school.

I think this kind of thing can be reproduced in another large, urban, coastal city. But it isn’t going to be just anywhere.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: September 30, 2019, 04:22:50 PM »
This is a strange thing to say but I think I will miss my commute a little when I finally quit next year. I take a bus into the Port Authority bus terminal in New York and then take the subway to my office. When I get off the bus in the morning, I see a fast-flowing river of humanity - people walking fast and purposefully to their respective workplaces. I have been doing this commute for many years andI have always felt some of this energy transferring to me.

It is a nice feeling but not enough to persuade me to stay employed :-)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1003 on: October 01, 2019, 01:24:45 AM »
This is a strange thing to say but I think I will miss my commute a little when I finally quit next year. I take a bus into the Port Authority bus terminal in New York and then take the subway to my office. When I get off the bus in the morning, I see a fast-flowing river of humanity - people walking fast and purposefully to their respective workplaces. I have been doing this commute for many years andI have always felt some of this energy transferring to me.

It is a nice feeling but not enough to persuade me to stay employed :-)

I have commuted by train and subway for many years, but I don't miss it at all. I have always felt a bit vulnerable for possible terror attacks when travelling through the country's most crowded stations.
I love my much shorter commute by car on small roads or walking.

But I do sometimes miss the option of shopping in the city after work. Now I need to travel to the nearest town or city when I need something.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1004 on: October 02, 2019, 04:15:39 AM »
My notice has been given (by contract, I needed to do this 3 months ahead of leaving) and my co-workers have been informed that I'm taking a year off. DH didn't want me to tell them we are FIREing.

I am noticing the positive effects on my attitude and stresslevel at work. I am starting not to care anymore when problems arise that aren't a direct thing that I am working on. It is now not longer my concern if it it the department's problem. Also the things that sometimes annoy me, are now things I can ignore much more, because I know I can hold out for a few month more end the end is in sight.

Some co-workers have been asking questions about what my plans are. Some are worried about what to do when I'm gone. I feel a bit guilty about that, but it is not really my problem. I gave my boss the name and phone number of a friend of mine (after asking her), who I think would be excellent person to take over my job.

We are very busy preparing our home for sale. We have taken away access stuff from the rooms, got hold of some stash to make it look nice. Now just cleaning to do before the photographer comes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:57:04 AM by Linea_Norway »

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1005 on: October 02, 2019, 06:47:18 AM »
Your post resonates with me.  As of Friday, I will have 13 weeks till I quit.  I am only doing things that need to be done and don't get into any drama outside of my immediate tasks.  I worry that my lack of "caring" will show, but so far so good.

I am very ready to drop the mike.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1006 on: October 02, 2019, 06:49:56 AM »
Congrats to both of you

Life in Balance

• Bristles
  • FIREd in 2019
« Reply #1007 on: October 02, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »
I am experiencing a similar timeline and similar feelings.  Really starting to detach from office crises and drama and just focus on leaving my own work in good shape.  I'll miss my colleagues, but not the stressful death-by-a-thousand-cuts trying-to-stretch-to-cover-even-more environment my once awesome job has become.

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1008 on: October 02, 2019, 12:21:14 PM »
Congrats! 

2020 is approaching fast.  After vacation and PTO I am around 100 working days left.  Hard to stay focused but in a good way!

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1009 on: October 02, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »
I've broached the conversation a few times with people at work.  I call it my summer vacation ratio.

I have been working while going to school and doing summer classes since I was 14; my last summer off was that summer.  Since then I've been fully out of balance (and I don't think people who really lean in and are aggressive about their career have balance in their 20s-40s, at least not in tech) and haven't had a summer vacation.  That's 30 years of no vacation (and close to 25 years of working full time with no major breaks).  I have a life expectancy of maybe 80; the years after that are progressively very constrained.  So if my goal is to meet and exceed a ratio of at least 1:1, I could hypothetically work just another 10 years, max, and make that happen.

This may seem artificial, but it's good for perspective.  Once you get them to agree that in ALL OF THEIR LIFE they will only have half of their summers, and the rest they are trading for cash, then the next step seems reasonable: if I'd have to retire by 50, which is still very early, a few years earlier isn't significantly different and doesn't raise the ratio all that much or make things that much harder.

So in short, half.  Half is all I'm willing to give up.  And if I can do better, even marginally, then I will. 

#1 reaction: "I'm too young to not be working."  Yeah, talk to me in ten years after the coming downturn.  I've lived through three major downturns and don't need to be around in the office for #4.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #1010 on: October 02, 2019, 08:20:47 PM »

…I have been working while going to school and doing summer classes since I was 14; my last summer off was that summer.  Since then I've been fully out of balance…

Holy crap, man, I never really thought about it that way.  I, too, have not had a “real” full length summer vacation since my freshman year of high school.  Part of me must be really looking forward to having so much time and “nothing to do”. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1011 on: October 03, 2019, 02:12:45 AM »

…I have been working while going to school and doing summer classes since I was 14; my last summer off was that summer.  Since then I've been fully out of balance…

Holy crap, man, I never really thought about it that way.  I, too, have not had a “real” full length summer vacation since my freshman year of high school.  Part of me must be really looking forward to having so much time and “nothing to do”.

I have also always been working summer vacations from when I was 15. And worked 2 jobs for some time after that. But some 10 years ago, DH and I took a 13 week summer vacation for one time. During that time we renovated the bathroom, which took 5 weeks in total. But we also went on many trips. That was the only long time off I ever had in the last 30 years.
We have however been working only 80% for the past year and that was a great luxury.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: October 03, 2019, 02:46:19 AM »

So in short, half.  Half is all I'm willing to give up.  And if I can do better, even marginally, then I will. 

#1 reaction: "I'm too young to not be working."  Yeah, talk to me in ten years after the coming downturn.  I've lived through three major downturns and don't need to be around in the office for #4.

I have a similar situation - I did absolutely nothing in July and August I quit my job at megacorp earlier this year. It was the longest time I have not worked or been at school in 30 years. I went to grad school for my PhD which was a brutal slog and then I worked continuously ever since.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1013 on: October 03, 2019, 08:54:44 AM »
I handed in my two weeks notice on Monday, so officially out of this cohort and in the 2019 one.

If the economy crashes and burns in Q4, maybe I'll see some of you over there as well

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1014 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:44 PM »
I handed in my two weeks notice on Monday, so officially out of this cohort and in the 2019 one.

If the economy crashes and burns in Q4, maybe I'll see some of you over there as well

Congrats on being out of here.
I updated the list on the previous page.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 01:49:10 PM by Linea_Norway »

firebrand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1015 on: October 08, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »
Just closing up loose ends here .. originally planned to retire with this group but moved my date to this year. I will be on terminal leave after the first week in December with an official last day being December 31, 2019.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1016 on: October 08, 2019, 08:16:43 AM »
Just closing up loose ends here .. originally planned to retire with this group but moved my date to this year. I will be on terminal leave after the first week in December with an official last day being December 31, 2019.
Congratulations

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1017 on: October 08, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »

Same official last day as mine! Congratulations!

firebrand

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1018 on: October 08, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »

Same official last day as mine! Congratulations!
Thank you, and Happy New Year (in advance)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1019 on: October 09, 2019, 12:17:52 AM »
01/01/2020     Linea_Norway's official day (@46) + firebrand's official day (both fired in practice a few weeks earlier)
01/2020          Farmgirl (@61)
01/2020          Now-non   
01/31/2020     ATS (@52)
03/01/2020     Katmandew (@54)
03/06/2020     CrazyIT   
03/2020          FInding_peace (@38)   
03/2020          rab-bit (@58)   
03/2020          TheContinaltalOp   
03-04/2020     Maenad   
03-04/2020     Padonak   
03-04+2/2020 Beeboy (@46)     
04/2020          DreamFIRE   
04/2020          Exit2019   
04/2020          Itchyfeet   
04/2020          Pennycounter   
04-05/2020     aspiringnomad (@37)   
04-12/2020     robtown   
05/2020          Body Surfer   
05/2020          Lady Stash (@45)   
05/01/2020     Much fishing to do   
05/2020          Rcc     
06/2020          ixtap (date uncertain)   
07/2020          2sk22   
07/01/2020     FireLane (@38)   
07/01/2020     Unique User (@50)   
07-12/2020     MMM123   
08/2020          Bateaux   
10/2020          Rubyvroom   
11/01/2020     Alienbogey   
12/202?          desk_jockey   
12/31/2020     BFGirl   
12/2020          david_shin   
12/2020          MoneyTree (@36)   
12/2020          Nora (@42)   
12/2020          Sand101   
12/2020          TheFIExplorer   
12/2020          ysette9 (@38)   
??/202?          Gumption   
??/2020          EscapeVelocity2020   
??/2020          apurplelife   
??/2020          BlueMR2     
??/2020          catccc   
??/2020          DadzillaGorilla (FI@35, RE@40)   
??/2020          FIREstache (@55)   
??/2020          Freedomin5 (@38)   
??/2020          LadyMaWhiskers   
??/2020          letsdoit   
??/2020          onlykelsey     
??/2020          tooqk4u22     

OLY:   
meatgrinder   
Life in balance (end of 2019)
2Birds1Stone (autumn 2019)
Firebrand (second week of December 2019)

OMY:   
RedefinedHappiness   
FIREby2021 (Q1 2021)   

FIREing later:   
FIPurpose (date to decided)   
ToughMother (date to be decided)   
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:36:14 AM by Linea_Norway »

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1020 on: October 09, 2019, 10:04:52 AM »
I've been lurking on the forums for years, never posted, but I am joining the 2020 FIRE team....1/31/20 will be my last day.  I put in my notice for the end of October, but negotiated a retention bonus to stay through January.

I'm 52 and just celebrated my 30th anniversary with my company and although I was going to work until I was 55 for more buffer, I have run the numbers and I just can't do this for another three years.  I am paid very well and have the job under control, but it hasn't brought me joy or real fulfillment for the last few years and it's time to move on.

I wish I could say I'm completely confident about this all of the time, the emotional swings have caught me by surprise.  Most of the time I know I am making the right decision and I'm excited,  but I do have doubts that creep in, usually around 4am....I make good money, am I an idiot from walking away from this?  What if my calculations are off and I don't have enough money?  Why can't I just gut it out for another 3 years, it's not that bad?  What if the recession wipes everything out?  Who quits their job at 52?  What if ACA is cancelled what will I do for insurance?  What if I'm bored and lonely?  I don't have a partner maybe I need a bigger buffer?

During my 4am sessions I remind myself that my house is paid for, my average annual spend for the last 5 years is less than a 3% withdrawal rate, adding the most outrageous COBRA/health insurance scenarios I'm below 3.5%, I have over three years of annual spend outside of the stock market so I can ride out any dips, I am smart and resourceful and I can overcome any obstacles that come my way, what I can't overcome is time and do I want to spend three more years doing this?

I read you should retire with two hobbies - one that makes money and one that keeps you fit.  I've had an eBay side hustle for years that I enjoy, I've let it wind down some over the last couple of years, but looking forward to ramping it back up.  Working on the hobby to keep me fit - knitting just doesn't seem to provide the kind of cardio I need.

That was a bit cathartic to type out all of that - It's a leap of faith and I'm looking forward to sharing that leap with all of you.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1021 on: October 09, 2019, 10:11:38 AM »
Oh ATS!  I understand completely!  I'm due to give notice January of next year.  I am 61.  I just can't stomach staying even till I turn 62 in October, 2020.  We have several businesses (that don't make much $) that I will work on to try to boost them.  Serial entrepreneurs.  But I get those scary thoughts.  The "what if's". 

My spreadsheets have spreadsheets.  They say we will be ok.  But it is still scary.

Knitting is good for the soul.  We raise alpacas for fleece/yarn.  My best friends are fiber people.

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1022 on: October 09, 2019, 11:55:07 AM »
I've been lurking on the forums for years, never posted, but I am joining the 2020 FIRE team....1/31/20 will be my last day.  I put in my notice for the end of October, but negotiated a retention bonus to stay through January.

I'm 52 and just celebrated my 30th anniversary with my company and although I was going to work until I was 55 for more buffer, I have run the numbers and I just can't do this for another three years.  I am paid very well and have the job under control, but it hasn't brought me joy or real fulfillment for the last few years and it's time to move on.

I wish I could say I'm completely confident about this all of the time, the emotional swings have caught me by surprise.  Most of the time I know I am making the right decision and I'm excited,  but I do have doubts that creep in, usually around 4am....I make good money, am I an idiot from walking away from this?  What if my calculations are off and I don't have enough money?  Why can't I just gut it out for another 3 years, it's not that bad?  What if the recession wipes everything out?  Who quits their job at 52?  What if ACA is cancelled what will I do for insurance?  What if I'm bored and lonely?  I don't have a partner maybe I need a bigger buffer?

During my 4am sessions I remind myself that my house is paid for, my average annual spend for the last 5 years is less than a 3% withdrawal rate, adding the most outrageous COBRA/health insurance scenarios I'm below 3.5%, I have over three years of annual spend outside of the stock market so I can ride out any dips, I am smart and resourceful and I can overcome any obstacles that come my way, what I can't overcome is time and do I want to spend three more years doing this?

I read you should retire with two hobbies - one that makes money and one that keeps you fit.  I've had an eBay side hustle for years that I enjoy, I've let it wind down some over the last couple of years, but looking forward to ramping it back up.  Working on the hobby to keep me fit - knitting just doesn't seem to provide the kind of cardio I need.

That was a bit cathartic to type out all of that - It's a leap of faith and I'm looking forward to sharing that leap with all of you.

Congrats and welcome!

I have been wondering why I have been waking up at 4am lately too!  I have the same thoughts but just like you can justify every scary thought with reassurance that everything will work out just fine.  What helps me is continuing to run the numbers different ways and with different scenarios.   I think part of my anxiousness is the realization that my net worth won't continue to increase at the same rate as it has for the last several years.  Being a saver for so long with take some transitioning in itself.

Worst case could be a part time job if needed i guess...lol

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1023 on: October 09, 2019, 01:55:02 PM »
Congrats and welcome!

I have been wondering why I have been waking up at 4am lately too!  I have the same thoughts but just like you can justify every scary thought with reassurance that everything will work out just fine.  What helps me is continuing to run the numbers different ways and with different scenarios.   I think part of my anxiousness is the realization that my net worth won't continue to increase at the same rate as it has for the last several years.  Being a saver for so long with take some transitioning in itself.

Worst case could be a part time job if needed i guess...lol

Thanks for the welcome, it doesn't really seem real yet.

I stumbled into FIRE...I've been contributing to my 401K maxing it out for the last decade or so, but in the last 5 years my non-401K stache has really grown - a combination of good salary, modest spending, paying off my 15-year mortgage (I know there are mixed feelings about that, but it freed up cash flow), side hustle income, market gains.  I started reading forums and running the numbers and realized that maybe I didn't have to wait until I could draw on my 401K at 59.5, maybe it could happen at 55, and now it could happen at 52?

Maybe if I had been planning this for a longer time it would seem more tangible and less scary.   I know I'm going to have a problem when my non-401K stache starts declining, but I'll deal with that when it happens.

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1024 on: October 09, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »
Oh ATS!  I understand completely!  I'm due to give notice January of next year.  I am 61.  I just can't stomach staying even till I turn 62 in October, 2020.  We have several businesses (that don't make much $) that I will work on to try to boost them.  Serial entrepreneurs.  But I get those scary thoughts.  The "what if's". 

My spreadsheets have spreadsheets.  They say we will be ok.  But it is still scary.

Knitting is good for the soul.  We raise alpacas for fleece/yarn.  My best friends are fiber people.

I have run spreadsheets every way I can think of also, love me an excel spreadsheet :)

Part of the scary is that there is I don't know anyone like me in real life.  Here I'm an oldie, but in real life anyone I know that has retired prior to 60 was pushed out (laid off), has a pension or has a partner/spouse providing income support. 

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #1025 on: October 09, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »

Nice job on the retention bonus. Your comment about two hobbies is food for thought. I've often wondered about doing something on the spectrum from yardwork to landscape gardening to hit both objectives.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1026 on: October 10, 2019, 02:32:11 AM »
Welcome to the club, ATS.

I think you can both do for example active walks during the day and knitting later in the day. About that money making hobby: if your numbers are enough, then why would you? And you can also knit for customers.

If your company appreciates you, you can perhaps keep in touch with them and do some occasional project work from time to time for some extra cash?

You are totally right to quite now if you feel you can. You say that you don't have a partner, but that also makes you flexible in changing your spending habit if you have to. You can probably get a room mate or move to a minimum place to live, without having to agree with a partner about it. Just in worst case if things don't work out.

Also, if you travel regularly, think about whether you can AirBnB your home when you are gone.

I also started loving Excel for FIRE spreadsheets. I have many parameters, where I can vary the SWR, our spending level, the sales price of our home, etc.

Katmandew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1027 on: October 10, 2019, 07:06:13 PM »
First time poster, long(ish) time reader!  Going to fire 3-1-2020.  I will be 54, DW will be 48.  Have been living below our means since well before finding MMM, but have enjoyed and learned much from his site and many of you.  Excited and a tad bit nervous, but totally committed.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1028 on: October 11, 2019, 05:38:56 AM »
First time poster, long(ish) time reader!  Going to fire 3-1-2020.  I will be 54, DW will be 48.  Have been living below our means since well before finding MMM, but have enjoyed and learned much from his site and many of you.  Excited and a tad bit nervous, but totally committed.

Welcome to the cohort. I guess there are many of us who have been living well beloew our means for many years and suddenly found out what we could to with all that money. I think I just googled on warly retirement ans found MMM. It was nice to see that there now is a movement and that we are not the only frugal weirdos.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1029 on: October 14, 2019, 02:19:37 AM »
Do any of you have specific plans of what to do shortly after FIRE?

In our case, we are selling our home and living here and there for a year, trying to figure out where we would like to live in the future. DH and I discussed yesterday that we shouldn't try to engage in anything that creates any obligations, but do visit events where we can meet people.
We will use this first year to relax/stress down and just get time for our hobbies. Those are CC skiing, hiking longer and short trips, astronomy (me), sewing (DH), cooking, foraging for food (seaweed, edible plants, mushrooms), viewing and photographing birds.

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1030 on: October 14, 2019, 07:39:39 AM »

Sounds like a great plan!

My FIRE is March 6th and my first grandchild is due March 7th.  My daughter and husband lives in a different part of the country as I do so the plan is to drive to see them and the new Baby later in the month of March.  Its a 3 day drive.  I am purposely not making any plans on when I leave where I stay or for how long.  Just want to  "wing it" .  I am sure it will just feel like I am on vacation until I get back home.  The first Monday will probably be totally weird...

About 90 working days left.  10 more bimonthly team meetings (not that I am counting or anything)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1031 on: October 14, 2019, 09:58:36 AM »
We have three kids now so a lot of our time will be spent taking care of them. We still don’t know what the hell we are doing, really.  I want next year to be a part time work year for both of us, ideally. That should allow mental space to think about what we want and how and where. So for now the plan is to stay put and process. After that? The sky is the limit.

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1032 on: October 14, 2019, 02:39:55 PM »
A couple things today that highlighted the reality of FIRE - my FIRE date is 1/31/20

1. Received the 2020 calendar at work - I realized past January it doesn't matter what days are designated as holidays, everyday is a holiday for me.

2. Signed up for 2020 benefits and adjusted my contributions to max out my 2020 HSA account in January.

WYOGO

• Stubble
  • Great Basin
« Reply #1033 on: October 14, 2019, 09:07:08 PM »
As I approach the mid point in life for those that are “strong”, looking pretty likely that I will hang it up in about 10 months at this point. (08/2020 anticipated) I want to max my pre/post tax opportunities next year, get full pension funding credits for the year and mid year bonus payout. I will complete comprehensive physical testing including all blood work and preventative items both medical and dental.

It’s a bit surreal that it is so close now and I anticipate not working another birthday at this point. If all goes as planned, it will be 20 years total working since my first W-2 wage was obtained with a real concentrated high percentage savings/investment effort from about 2012 onward...

...2020!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 09:10:54 PM by WYOGO »

WYOGO

• Stubble
  • Great Basin
« Reply #1034 on: October 14, 2019, 09:15:22 PM »

In our case, we are selling our home and living here and there for a year, trying to figure out where we would like to live in the future. DH and I discussed yesterday that we shouldn't try to engage in anything that creates any obligations, but do visit events where we can meet people.
We will use this first year to relax/stress down and just get time for our hobbies. Those are CC skiing, hiking longer and short trips, astronomy (me), sewing (DH), cooking, foraging for food (seaweed, edible plants, mushrooms), viewing and photographing birds.

I plan on doing some intial travel after a 30 day detox period locally; I also want to identify some thru hikes for the following year and cycle over winter in some warm and beautiful places. Simple things, but exploring new ways to maintain discipline and healthy routines outside of the structure employment provides.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: October 14, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »
If you need a FIRE activity, just "poach" the later cohorts and grow yours (2020).  It is fun!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1036 on: October 15, 2019, 12:44:09 AM »

I plan on doing some intial travel after a 30 day detox period locally; I also want to identify some thru hikes for the following year and cycle over winter in some warm and beautiful places. Simple things, but exploring new ways to maintain discipline and healthy routines outside of the structure employment provides.

We have also been thinking whether a thru hike would be something. So far, we usually hike for a week and sometimes 2 weeks in a row. For us crossing Norway in the length could be such a hike, but that requires a lot of organization because you can't do it in one snow-free season, so it involves doing a part of skis and a part on shoes. It is a popular hike, not on a dedicated path, but finding your own path between 2 given points. But so far it sounds a bit like a stresser to think about it.

To keep it a little more simple, I am first thinking about walking the Pennine Way in Britain, which is longer than the usual hikes. Preferably outside the midge season. And maybe crossing Norway in width somewhere, which can vary from a pretty long trip to a very short one. But at least that can be done in one season.

We also have a plan to cycle through mainland Europe some time. Maybe along rivers through nice old towns.

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1037 on: October 15, 2019, 07:33:08 AM »
A couple things today that highlighted the reality of FIRE - my FIRE date is 1/31/20

1. Received the 2020 calendar at work - I realized past January it doesn't matter what days are designated as holidays, everyday is a holiday for me.

2. Signed up for 2020 benefits and adjusted my contributions to max out my 2020 HSA account in January.

ATS,  With only a few posts you clearly have done your homework on FIRE.  No doubt you will be just fine!

I will frontload my 401k (26K next year) prior to my 3/6 FIRE date (no HSA where I work but will start one when i sign up for ASA).   

I think our calendars come out the end of the month...lol

RedefinedHappiness

• Stubble
« Reply #1038 on: October 15, 2019, 10:22:58 AM »
Anyone worried about HR changes tipping anyone off that you are considering leaving, this impacting bonus awards, etc?

401k front load, HSA front load, dropping life insurance...

I'm probably just paranoid, but curious what people think.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: October 15, 2019, 11:09:23 AM »
Anyone worried about HR changes tipping anyone off that you are considering leaving, this impacting bonus awards, etc?

I doubt most HR orgs are enlightened enough to see through all that.  They'd probably think it was a clerical mistake and "fix" it for you.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by stupidity".--- forgot the quote/paraphrase source.

dsw

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1040 on: October 15, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »

To keep it a little more simple, I am first thinking about walking the Pennine Way in Britain, which is longer than the usual hikes.

I'd recommend the Coast to Coast walk, also in Britain. It goes through a nice variety of different terrains (Seaside cliffs, Lake District mountains, moorland, Yorkshire dales, and back to seaside cliffs) and is not nearly as boggy as the Pennines (although it has its moments). May is a really nice time for this. No midges, and at least a plausible shot at good weather.

CrazyIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1041 on: October 15, 2019, 11:59:38 AM »

I have been upfront with my close coworkers (and boss) that I follow the FIRE way of life.  Many people ask me when I am going to retire and I always dance around the answer.  I have been saying 1-3 years for about the last 3-4 years now.  I think being vague is the key.  I usually turn it around and ask them retirement questions then they leave me alone.  I want to give more then a 2 week notice but like many others here know that typically backfires.  There are many things I do for my company that only I know but everyone is replaceable and they can figure that out in the 2 weeks after I give my notice.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #1042 on: October 15, 2019, 12:07:03 PM »
Note that if you don't have HDHP insurance for the whole year you are not allowed to max out the HSA for the year.  You have to prorate based on the number of months you have the HDHP during the year.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #1043 on: October 15, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
... I want to give more then a 2 week notice but like many others here know that typically backfires...

I have heard this said before but I have not seen anyone say how it backfires. Anyone have details?

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1044 on: October 15, 2019, 12:59:12 PM »
Note that if you don't have HDHP insurance for the whole year you are not allowed to max out the HSA for the year.  You have to prorate based on the number of months you have the HDHP during the year.

I'm extending my current HDHP insurance through COBRA for the year - but a good point for those who are not.

ATS

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1045 on: October 15, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
... I want to give more then a 2 week notice but like many others here know that typically backfires...

I have heard this said before but I have not seen anyone say how it backfires. Anyone have details?

I'm ending up working a few more months after I gave notice, but I had a plan if it was going to be two weeks.

Some employers have policies about keeping people long after they give notice - whether it be concerns about access to confidential information or access to systems or work ethic.

It could backfire if your plan is to give a few month notice and your plan is situated around that (finances or insurance or bonus, etc) and instead they change it to two weeks or even escorted out the door.

I will also add on a personal level, it feels strange when you have an end date but are still working.  I've not told coworkers yet, only my management,  I don't want it impacting our working relationship yet as a lame duck employee.   Another reason I don't want to have the why I am leaving conversation for the next three months.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:19:03 PM by ATS »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: October 15, 2019, 02:08:59 PM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/when-you-retired-early-how-did-you-resign/   has a lot of pros and cons about various resignation notice lengths.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1047 on: October 18, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/when-you-retired-early-how-did-you-resign/   has a lot of pros and cons about various resignation notice lengths.

@markbike528CBX I read your epic resignation letter - we definitely need to have a hall of fame here to recognize such letters :-)

My resignation email when I quit megacorp earlier this year was just a couple lines long. One thought that occurs to me is that there are a huge number of websites that aim to help you look for jobs while this is the one forum that helps you quit!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1048 on: October 18, 2019, 03:18:14 PM »
Link to epic resignation letter, please?:)

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache