Author Topic: 2020 FIRE Cohort  (Read 539923 times)

rab-bit

• Bristles
Re: 2020 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #750 on: April 23, 2019, 11:30:41 AM »
My official date is now Nov 21st, 2020.  Just got rated a bottom performer at work so that means no more RSUs after 2020.  That's ok and even better since I was planning on leaving anyway!  I've read where a lot of people have improved job performance once they hit FI.  I hit FI last year and it has had the opposite effect...I just don't care and I'm no in it for the extra cash cushion.

I am having a similar experience. I also thought that as I got near the end my job would be less stressful but I'm finding the opposite to be true, probably because I have even less patience for the daily BS.

nwa-non

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Net Worth, Anon
« Reply #751 on: April 23, 2019, 11:44:12 AM »
New to this forum. Here goes ...

Absolute drop dead date is 1/17/2020. Could be anytime between Sep '19 and Jan '20 :D

Feels good saying it out here/somewhere!

I anticipate my FIRE will have some PT jobs rather than full fledged RE.

nwa-non

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Net Worth, Anon
« Reply #752 on: April 23, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
My official date is now Nov 21st, 2020.  Just got rated a bottom performer at work so that means no more RSUs after 2020.  That's ok and even better since I was planning on leaving anyway!  I've read where a lot of people have improved job performance once they hit FI.  I hit FI last year and it has had the opposite effect...I just don't care and I'm no in it for the extra cash cushion.

I am having a similar experience. I also thought that as I got near the end my job would be less stressful but I'm finding the opposite to be true, probably because I have even less patience for the daily BS.

True that.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #753 on: April 23, 2019, 12:08:11 PM »
New to this forum. Here goes ...

Absolute drop dead date is 1/17/2020. Could be anytime between Sep '19 and Jan '20 :D

Feels good saying it out here/somewhere!

I anticipate my FIRE will have some PT jobs rather than full fledged RE.

I also planned on trying to go part-time at this job but I am now seriously re-thinking that. It would be nice to have the health insurance and the income. I will probably ask for PT but I won't be at all disappointed if the answer is 'no'.

nwa-non

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Net Worth, Anon
« Reply #754 on: April 23, 2019, 12:28:48 PM »

I also planned on trying to go part-time at this job but I am now seriously re-thinking that. It would be nice to have the health insurance and the income. I will probably ask for PT but I won't be at all disappointed if the answer is 'no'.

I'll be looking for PT jobs with NO benefits or health insurance. Seriously, cash would be just fine! Want to try interesting and different jobs that I've never had in my life before, that pays "well". Well defined by ~$20/hour.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #755 on: April 23, 2019, 12:37:24 PM »

Why do you think you have less patience?  To clarify I think I have more patience and less stress because I don't care since I know the rat race filled with cubicles, florescent lights, endless meetings and constant drive and competition for a promotion to prove yourself and self worth is coming to an end. The twenties version of me would have been a panic stricken corporate drone if I was ever ranked as a bottom performer....now with this being my first time my thought is I don't give a shit and they can all go fuck themselves - work doesn't define who I am.

Its interesting because my entire life (and most lives) there has always been some carrot or next level to reach.  In school, get to the next grade/college/grad school.  In work, get to the next level/position/promotion.  I've realized I've made it.  There is nothing else that's worth pursing other than the freedom to do what I want with the time I have left and that constant chasing leads to unhappiness and stress. /rant

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #756 on: April 23, 2019, 04:53:57 PM »

Why do you think you have less patience?  To clarify I think I have more patience and less stress because I don't care since I know the rat race filled with cubicles, florescent lights, endless meetings and constant drive and competition for a promotion to prove yourself and self worth is coming to an end. The twenties version of me would have been a panic stricken corporate drone if I was ever ranked as a bottom performer....now with this being my first time my thought is I don't give a shit and they can all go fuck themselves - work doesn't define who I am.

Its interesting because my entire life (and most lives) there has always been some carrot or next level to reach.  In school, get to the next grade/college/grad school.  In work, get to the next level/position/promotion.  I've realized I've made it.  There is nothing else that's worth pursing other than the freedom to do what I want with the time I have left and that constant chasing leads to unhappiness and stress. /rant

I suppose it's because I was part of the team and I needed the job, so I was more willing to tolerate and work through the bs. Now that I'm close to the end, I find I'm just disgusted by it and have no patience for it. It all feels like just a waste of my precious time.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #757 on: April 23, 2019, 09:25:34 PM »
I’m struggling big time with senior-itis right now. I just don’t feel like my job is very important and it is hard to see that I am bringing any value. I am also new to the role and company so I don’t have the same social ties that would otherwise drive me to want to perform well in absence of internal motivation.

I “worked from home” yesterday because our nanny was out and then I took my oldest work work this morning for being your kid to work day. All that extra time with my littles was so lovely, and really in contrast with updating slides on the current status of issues.

My first performance review with my boss is later this week so I need to summon up some good act of caring in a jiffy.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #758 on: April 23, 2019, 09:57:51 PM »
DH has become the Dread Pirate Dilbert: "I will likely quit in the morning." Except he won't. And I don't know if the right thing to do is to encourage him to do so (for his health) or not (for his long term peace of mind we need more buffer).

As it stands, we have a two week vacation coming up next month. That should help.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #759 on: April 24, 2019, 01:12:54 AM »
2020 cohort members:

??/2020     apurplelife
02/2020     aspiringnomad
08/2020     Bateaux
12/2020     BFGirl
??/2020     BlueMR2   
??/2020     catccc   
12/2020     david_shin
12/202?     desk_jockey
04/2020     DreamFIRE
??/2020      EscapeVelocity2020
04/2020     Exit2019
10/2020     Farmgirl
??/2020     FIREby2021
??/2020     FireLane
??/2020     Freedomin5   
??/202?     Gumption
06/2020     ixtap (date uncertain)
??/2020     letsdoit
??/2020     LadyMaWhiskers
??/2020     Linea_Norway
10/2020     Maenad
12/202?     meatgrinder
12/2020     MoneyTree
01/2020     Now-non (or earlier, in 2019)
??/2020     onlykelsey   
04/2020     Pennycounter
03/2020     rab-bit
05/2020     Rcc
05/2020     RedefinedHappiness   
04/2020     robtown (maybe 12/31/2020)
10/2020     Rubyvroom
12/2020     Sand101
03/2020     TheContinaltalOp
12/2020     TheFIExplorer
11/2020    ToughMother
??/2020     tooqk4u22   
05/2020     Unique User (maybe 06/2020)
12/2020     ysette9

OLY:
2Birds1Stone

FIREing later:
FIPurpose (date to decided)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #760 on: April 27, 2019, 11:37:56 AM »
At the beginning of 2019, when we decided to wait until 2020, we have already obtained enough savings to retire in 2020. As we are now working longer, at 80%, we are already well above that sum.

DH hopes to win an interesting project at his work. If he gets it, he will consider to start working 50%, only the time it takes to work on that project. And then cut out all else. Sounds like a good plan to me. That project will last longer than out FIRE date, so he thinks about continuing to work 50% on it after FIRE. Therefore we need to keep living somewhere on travelling distance to the capital, either by train or by plane.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 12:50:26 AM by Linea_Norway »

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #761 on: April 29, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
I'm very deeply torn at this point.  Well on track for the original May 2020 plan (despite my wife unexpectedly losing her job last year and not being able to find a replacement job).  OTOH, I'm having a lot of fun with some very exciting projects at work that could go on for another 2-3 years.  OTOOH, those projects are also extremely stressful and it's starting to affect my health.

While I do enjoy not working, these projects are so very exciting.  I wonder if it's worth the health risks for that excitement and fun?  Or should I knock it off and fade out from the work scene on plan?  I know my wife would like me to retire, but she also still wants to find at least part time work to get out of the house...

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #762 on: April 29, 2019, 09:40:14 PM »
I updated a tracking spreadsheet today and switched our “The Number” from $2.6 to $2.3 based on some simulations and calculations I had done last month. It also showed that our invested balance is up to an all-time high of $2.1, which is 91% of the way there. The sprint is on!

This provides solace when I have dreams at night like I did a couple of days ago that my boss was telling me that I wasn’t measuring up at performance review time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #763 on: April 30, 2019, 12:55:20 AM »
I'm very deeply torn at this point.  Well on track for the original May 2020 plan (despite my wife unexpectedly losing her job last year and not being able to find a replacement job).  OTOH, I'm having a lot of fun with some very exciting projects at work that could go on for another 2-3 years.  OTOOH, those projects are also extremely stressful and it's starting to affect my health.

While I do enjoy not working, these projects are so very exciting.  I wonder if it's worth the health risks for that excitement and fun?  Or should I knock it off and fade out from the work scene on plan?  I know my wife would like me to retire, but she also still wants to find at least part time work to get out of the house...

If your wife doesn't need the finances, but wants to get out of the house, she can look for some voluntary work.

Extremely stressful projects... Can you have fun in a similar way without the huge amount of stress? Otherwise not do so many of these projects? I think there is a difference about exiting stress and obligating stress. Do you look forward to doing the task required in that project, or does it feel like a drain? If the latter, it is not worth the health risk. For the first, it might not be so damaging.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #764 on: April 30, 2019, 01:25:46 AM »
Our investments are also growing well currently. We are very en route with our savings.

My company send out an email yesterday about becoming more effective. We need to reduce our costs with 15% in 2021, compared to 2018. We can all guess how that is done, less people need to work harder. They mentioned that they might downsize the number of employees. I hope that they will announce an option for leaving on a voluntary basis, with a good compensation. Then I will ask for that option. I have nothing to loose, asking for it. I am not sure they want to grant it, though.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #765 on: April 30, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
At my old company we had year after year of cost cutting and a focus on “affordability”. It was depressing. First you lose all of the discretionary fun stuff, that hoody’s parties and support for employee groups and perks. Then you start cutting the less important stuff. Then you get to the point of making hard decisions of what important stuff gets cut. Strategic visions end up going down the drain. Employee training. Anything that would be good for the long term and increase efficiency or otherwise set the company up for success were not even considered unless it could magically be done at no present cost to the company. I got frustrated at the short-term thinking and the impact it had on morale. In situations like that your best employees just ship first because they see their writing on the wall and have options. I stuck around a good while (not the best employee?!) and got out when it became too depressing.

I hope your company doesn’t go down that route.

JTColton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #766 on: April 30, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »
I suppose I can post here, I am retiring from the military in March 2020. I haven't been this excited since I went to boot camp.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #767 on: April 30, 2019, 11:50:21 AM »

Health >>> Wealth

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #768 on: May 01, 2019, 12:44:47 AM »
At my old company we had year after year of cost cutting and a focus on “affordability”. It was depressing. First you lose all of the discretionary fun stuff, that hoody’s parties and support for employee groups and perks. Then you start cutting the less important stuff. Then you get to the point of making hard decisions of what important stuff gets cut. Strategic visions end up going down the drain. Employee training. Anything that would be good for the long term and increase efficiency or otherwise set the company up for success were not even considered unless it could magically be done at no present cost to the company. I got frustrated at the short-term thinking and the impact it had on morale. In situations like that your best employees just ship first because they see their writing on the wall and have options. I stuck around a good while (not the best employee?!) and got out when it became too depressing.

I hope your company doesn’t go down that route.

I will quite my job with the foreseeable future, probably Jan 2020 or earlier. But I feel sorry for my colleagues.

An older colleague thinks that they will start by letting retirees and quitters go without replacing them. So fewer people will need to do the work of more. In my department half of the people have said that they feel that their job impacts their health in a negative way. Quite many, including myself, have high blood pressure. Everyone has a lot to do. We really can't do more without extra resources.
And yes, I think they will cut out the fun parts, like visiting a conference for a few days.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #769 on: May 01, 2019, 06:12:31 AM »
We're sitting at about $10k less than where I wanted to be at the end of 2020 when we would technically start pulling from accounts and we have over $8k a month still going in for this year.  We know where DD is going to college, she chose the least expensive flagship U she got into. 

I had a meeting with my boss to talk about the last huge project I'll run for the company, it's over the end of May of next year.  We also discussed succession planning and I mentioned having them lay me off July 1, 2020 so that I can collect unemployment for the first time in my life.  She asked if I would come back on an hourly basis if they had projects and I agreed, but neither of us see more than a couple small projects a year.  Company does not pay severance, but I'll take all my vacation in June and wrap things up.  July 1st means I get health insurance for the month so I can navigate the ACA if it still exists.

I plan to tell DH that he can leave anytime he wants this year tonight.  He found out a couple weeks ago that half his job is going to outside brokers, so he expects layoffs and has been stressed about it.  And his biggest client (300 units, should really be with a corp account manager, not him but he landed it) are complete and total psychos.   

So July 1, 2020 is my date, feels great to be so close!

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #770 on: May 01, 2019, 07:06:35 AM »
Ten months out.

At a 4.0% WR, I'm at 151% of my expenses.
At a 3.5% WR, I'm at 132% of my expenses.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #771 on: May 01, 2019, 07:35:55 AM »
I wrote my resignation letter in my head this morning, and deleted it.

So close.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #772 on: May 01, 2019, 08:11:49 AM »
Autosave will be keeping it for you... reminders every monday morning, and bright shiny days.

Farmgirl

• Stubble
« Reply #773 on: May 01, 2019, 08:18:50 AM »
That is true!  It's kinda back there, ready to be resurrected at any moment!

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #774 on: May 01, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
Howdy team 2020!

April Highlights:

- Well, YTD I have now accumulated 4 weeks of working remotely. Very glad to report I was able to conduct my work business, help out my aging parents and still balance some time for myself.  I won't go back until July, but glad to begin building a track record to show MegaCorp that productivity can exist away from the boundaries of an office.  Hard to say whether A) I'll want to, or B) it will be an option, but at the very least C) I'm being helpful and reducing my # of office commute days NOW.

- Financially, this month was pretty dicey.  Multiple HUGE expenses showed up at once, and the result is our extra after-tax savings contributions were $0 for April, and will be $0 for May!  As mentioned last month, our Federal Tax bill was INSANE (mo money mo problems?), but then we had to 1) replace the 22-year old HVAC system in our FIRE location home (had planned to defer this until the 2021 remodel), 2) we bought international plane tickets for a 2020 trip (great fare sale, but sooner than planned), and 3) had a significant car repair to top it all off!  Ugh, but it's a huge blessing to have cash flow to handle these sorts of surprises (FIRE behaviors pay dividends via flexibility even pre-FIRE!).  Despite these big-ticket items, we maxed our pre-tax contributions and the market continues to cooperate.

- Countdown: Our 'original' FIRE target was Q1-2021, but we've been pursuing a path toward Q2-2020.  Current math tells us we should reach FI by Q3-2020.  If so, we'd have lots of incentive to work 2 extra quarters into our original target date.  Decisions around doing a new lease on our FIRE home and other pros / cons will definitely be part of our Summer 2019 conversation.  At the most we are looking at 22 months left, wow!

EOY 2015 = 53.8%
EOY 2016 = 67.8%
EOY 2017 = 75.5%
EOY 2018 = 81.6%

// FI target defined as 3.75% SWR, mortgage-free + giving/lump sum funded //

END OF MONTH PROGRESS:
JAN 2019  84.5%
FEB 2019  86.9%
MAR 2019 88.4%
APR 2019 89.0%

Later!

FIREby2021

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #775 on: May 01, 2019, 01:27:44 PM »
Nicely done, FIREby2021!

I like seeing your percentages because of how closely they align with ours. I got our April figures at 91% of our new FI number.

I was talking briefly with my husband last night and he talked about wanting to figure out how to ask about part-time work. He mentioned a lot of benefits: he isn’t totally on board with The Number, healthcare coverage, some extra padding for unknowns, mortgage, etc. It makes perfect sense and I think it would be a very enjoyable lifestyle provided we can stick to firm part-time limits. I need to draw up my proposal for part-time work after my maternity leave in the next few weeks. I can’t even be sure if I’d rather be totally done or try part-time. But the plan is to ask and be prepared to cut the cord entirely if they say no. Not a bad bargaining position to be in. :)

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #776 on: May 01, 2019, 07:27:09 PM »
Nicely done, FIREby2021!

I like seeing your percentages because of how closely they align with ours. I got our April figures at 91% of our new FI number.

I was talking briefly with my husband last night and he talked about wanting to figure out how to ask about part-time work. He mentioned a lot of benefits: he isn’t totally on board with The Number, healthcare coverage, some extra padding for unknowns, mortgage, etc. It makes perfect sense and I think it would be a very enjoyable lifestyle provided we can stick to firm part-time limits. I need to draw up my proposal for part-time work after my maternity leave in the next few weeks. I can’t even be sure if I’d rather be totally done or try part-time. But the plan is to ask and be prepared to cut the cord entirely if they say no. Not a bad bargaining position to be in. :)

Thanks ysette9!  I also like seeing how other folks with similar timeframes and progress trends are doing and what they're thinking about.  You're doing great ... I'm sort of starting to think we belong in 2021 (barely), but since I've been here the whole time I'll stick with this cohort.  Still expecting FI to occur in 2020.

Your conversations about part-time work is interesting to me as well.  If I can demonstrate to my company that remote working "works", I'm not afraid of testing those waters ONLY IF it can be done from our FIRE (dream) location and has some clear boundaries.  Like you said, have to be ready to cut the cord entirely if they say no, to which I assign a 90% probability.  Would appreciate hearing more about how you guys decide to approach that negotiation if you're willing to share.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #777 on: May 01, 2019, 07:58:25 PM »
I am certainly happy to share. There is just nothing yet to share. I need to start big-time doing strategizing on that front. I got advise today to approach my management with my part-time proposal 8-10 weeks before the earliest possible delivery date. Considering my two babies were both born early, that doesn’t actually leave me a lot of time to get my act together to stick to that time line.

If I forget to follow up on this thread I am sure I will discuss it in my journal, which you are welcome to check out.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #778 on: May 04, 2019, 04:32:06 AM »
At end of April we hit 93%, so in the same ballpark.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #779 on: May 06, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
Hello 2020 cohorts.  I may be joining you.  I still have doubts about pulling the trigger in 2020.  When I see stashes mentioned in the $2M to $3M range, it makes my $1.4M seem so modest by comparison, but then I'm single and living in a LCOL area, so I don't need as much as a couple or family living in a higher cost of living area.

I created a case study recently regarding my choice to work OMY and FIRE in 2020 or work 2MY and FIRE in 2021.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/case-study-omy-or-2/

Despite some remaining doubts, I'm getting to be pretty sure I'll FIRE in 2020 if there aren't any surprises.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 05:11:09 PM by FIREstache »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #780 on: May 06, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
If it helps, there's atleast two in the 2019 cohort with stashes below 600k.

You seem crazy rich in that way!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #781 on: May 07, 2019, 12:35:51 AM »
2020 cohort members:

??/2020     apurplelife
08/2020     Bateaux
12/2020     BFGirl
??/2020     BlueMR2   
??/2020     catccc   
12/2020     david_shin
12/202?     desk_jockey
04/2020     DreamFIRE
04/2020     Exit2019
10/2020     Farmgirl
??/2020     FIREby2021
??/2020     FireLane
??/2020     FIREstash
??/2020     Freedomin5   
??/202?     Gumption
??/2020     letsdoit
??/2020     Linea_Norway
10/2020     Maenad
12/202?     meatgrinder
12/2020     MoneyTree
??/2020     onlykelsey   
04/2020     Pennycounter
03/2020     rab-bit
05/2020     Rcc
10/2020     Rubyvroom
12/2020     Sand101
11/2020    ToughMother
??/2020     tooqk4u22   
12/2020     ysette9

OLY:
2Birds1Stone

FIREing later:

Welcome, @FIREstash

$1.4M sounds like a big stash for a single person. I'm sure you will be fine.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #782 on: May 07, 2019, 05:37:45 PM »

Welcome, @FIREstash

Thanks.  I thought today's drop in stocks was going to take me just under the $1.4M level in the stash, but it didn't, so I still have a few thousand above it at this point.  I'm more conservative with my investing now, having moved from 80% to 60% equities in the summer of 2018, then last Friday moving to 43% equities.  My biggest concern about FIRE now is healthcare coverage, even though I'm pretty healthy.  Unsubsidised coverage won't be cheap for a 55 to 65 year old prior to Medicare.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #783 on: May 13, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »

Welcome, @FIREstash

Thanks.  I thought today's drop in stocks was going to take me just under the $1.4M level in the stash, but it didn't, so I still have a few thousand above it at this point.  I'm more conservative with my investing now, having moved from 80% to 60% equities in the summer of 2018, then last Friday moving to 43% equities.  My biggest concern about FIRE now is healthcare coverage, even though I'm pretty healthy.  Unsubsidised coverage won't be cheap for a 55 to 65 year old prior to Medicare.

Well, I picked a very good day to move to a more conservative AA on May 3rd, because stocks have been going down since then, with the S&P 500 being down 4.5%, but I still dropped about $10K under the $1.4M stache figure.  I can't say I'm totally surprised.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #784 on: May 14, 2019, 01:50:52 AM »
I didn't sell anything before the dip, but I bought some new stock after it went down. Whether we are currently at the bottom, I don't know.

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #785 on: May 14, 2019, 01:23:49 PM »

Welcome, @FIREstash

Well, I picked a very good day to move to a more conservative AA on May 3rd, because stocks have been going down since then, with the S&P 500 being down 4.5%, but I still dropped about $10K under the $1.4M stache figure.  I can't say I'm totally surprised.

You've picked a very good day when looking at the next 11 days but will it be a good day over the next 1, 5, 10 years?  Historically the answer is no, but this time it could be different?

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #786 on: May 14, 2019, 05:18:31 PM »

Welcome, @FIREstash

You've picked a very good day when looking at the next 11 days but will it be a good day over the next 1, 5, 10 years?  Historically the answer is no, but this time it could be different?

According to FireCalc, it WAS a good day for the next 10+ years because my SWR% has the best chance of success with the new AA that I moved to, which is more important to me than a potentially higher stash.  So, historically, the answer is "yes" in my case.  Since I wanted to move to a more conservative AA with my very short time horizon to FIRE, and only 10 years to SS, for the best success rate, any day should have been good, but it just turns out that it was even better that I made the move prior to the drop that immediately followed, not that I was was predicting it.  It just turned out that way.  It may go to new highs again, but that doesn't matter.  This is also to deal with sequence of returns risk in early retirement, and I'll ramp my equity back up in FIRE using the rising equity glide path.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:01:34 PM by FIREstache »

meatgrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #787 on: May 14, 2019, 05:26:17 PM »

Welcome, @FIREstash

According to FireCalc, it WAS a good day for the next 10+ years because my SWR% has the best chance of success with the new AA that I moved to, which is more important to me than a potentially higher stash.  So, historically, the answer is "yes" in my case.  Since I wanted to move to a more conservative AA with my very short time horizon to FIRE, and only 10 years to SS, for the best success rate, any day should have been good, but it just turns out that it was even better that I made the move prior to the drop that immediately followed, not that I was was predicting it.  It just turned out that way.  It may go to new highs again, but that doesn't matter.  This is also to deal with sequence of returns risk in early retirement, and I'll ramp my equity back up in FIRE using the rising equity glide path.

Nice - makes sense from a volatility perspective of success and not total returns. I need to shift my mindset as early retirement approaches!

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #788 on: May 16, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
Put me down for 2020. I'm hoping to quit by the middle of next year or go part time at the very least.

As I mentioned in my self-introduction post, financially, I am ready to quit. Furthermore, my wife expects to keep working as long as possible - we could comfortably live on her salary alone and still money.

I discovered the term "FIRE" only very recently (I must have been under a rock!). It had never occurred to me that didn't have to wait until conventional retirement. The more I talk to my friends who have retired early, the more I want to join them. So its just a matter of mental adjustment - which, knowing myself, I will achieve.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #789 on: May 16, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
I'm going to try for 2020 myself.  Only an overturned ACA, major sustained drop in stocks, or some other unforeseen issue would probably derail that plan.  Last year, I was shooting for 2019, so hopefully this is my last OMY.

Oh yeh, I'm back over the 1.4M hurdle again.... for now.

Edit:  oh, just realized I'm already on the list as "FIREstash".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 06:01:48 PM by FIREstache »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #790 on: May 18, 2019, 12:37:33 AM »
07/2020     2sk22
??/2020     apurplelife
08/2020     Bateaux
12/2020     BFGirl
??/2020     BlueMR2   
??/2020     catccc   
12/2020     david_shin
12/202?     desk_jockey
04/2020     DreamFIRE
04/2020     Exit2019
10/2020     Farmgirl
??/2020     FIREby2021
??/2020     FireLane
??/2020     FIREstache
??/2020     Freedomin5   
??/202?     Gumption
??/2020     letsdoit
??/2020     Linea_Norway
10/2020     Maenad
12/202?     meatgrinder
12/2020     MoneyTree
??/2020     onlykelsey   
04/2020     Pennycounter
03/2020     rab-bit
05/2020     Rcc
10/2020     Rubyvroom
12/2020     Sand101
11/2020    ToughMother
??/2020     tooqk4u22   
12/2020     ysette9

OLY:
2Birds1Stone

FIREing later:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 04:18:03 AM by Linea_Norway »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #791 on: May 18, 2019, 12:44:30 AM »
Put me down for 2020. I'm hoping to quit by the middle of next year or go part time at the very least.

As I mentioned in my self-introduction post, financially, I am ready to quit. Furthermore, my wife expects to keep working as long as possible - we could comfortably live on her salary alone and still money.

I discovered the term "FIRE" only very recently (I must have been under a rock!). It had never occurred to me that didn't have to wait until conventional retirement. The more I talk to my friends who have retired early, the more I want to join them. So its just a matter of mental adjustment - which, knowing myself, I will achieve.

Welcome.
Nothing better to discover the concept and already be there.

About 15 years ago, We had been loosly talking about retiring at 50, based on how much we had saved through the years. But I had no clue of how much you needed for that, and we didn't adjust our spending. We did save a lot by normal frugallity, but we could have saved a whole lot more and become FI 1 or 2 years earlier if we would have been more aware.
But finally, when I did find this site and learned how to calculte you needed FIRE stash, we were not so many years from being FIREd. I think we are already there financially, but we are waiting for next year for extra cushion and to convince DH. We are currently working 80%, which makes working life a little more baerable.

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #792 on: May 18, 2019, 06:43:14 AM »
Welcome.
Nothing better to discover the concept and already be there.

About 15 years ago, We had been loosly talking about retiring at 50, based on how much we had saved through the years. But I had no clue of how much you needed for that, and we didn't adjust our spending. We did save a lot by normal frugallity, but we could have saved a whole lot more and become FI 1 or 2 years earlier if we would have been more aware.
But finally, when I did find this site and learned how to calculte you needed FIRE stash, we were not so many years from being FIREd. I think we are already there financially, but we are waiting for next year for extra cushion and to convince DH. We are currently working 80%, which makes working life a little more baerable.

I know this is a small thing but just seeing my userid on the 2020 list feels great :-) As you say, just knowing that end is in sight makes work more bearable.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #793 on: May 18, 2019, 07:10:04 AM »
??/2020     FireLane
??/2020     FIREstash
??/2020     Freedomin5   

List has a FIREstash but no FIREstache.   FIREstache can be added.  Thanks.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #794 on: May 18, 2019, 07:27:35 AM »
??/2020     FireLane
??/2020     FIREstash
??/2020     Freedomin5   

Fixed. I cannot quote a FIREstash, so that name probably doesn't exist.

You are all free to quote and edit the list yourself as well.

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #795 on: May 18, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
??/2020     FireLane
??/2020     FIREstash
??/2020     Freedomin5   

Fixed. I cannot quote a FIREstash, so that name probably doesn't exist.

You are all free to quote and edit the list yourself as well.

Thanks.  It used to be that half the time I opened the 2019 thread, it was just a new post of the list, so there might be 3 posts of the list on the same page, so I try to avoid that.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #796 on: May 18, 2019, 10:50:03 AM »
Trifele on the 2019 list has fixed the excessive reposting by just editing the pre-existing (latest page) list. It helps if the list maintainer is 1 person who is quick about updates.  I wasn't, so Trifele picked up the list maintainance.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #797 on: May 19, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »
Our retirement plans are really starting to take shape!
  • We purchased our third rental property a few months ago and the remodel is almost complete. It's turning out very nicely and I don't expect to have any problems renting it.
  • Last week our offer was accepted on a condo that will be our retirement home. After we sell our current home, there should be enough to pay off this condo as well as the rental mentioned above (if we so choose).
  • I am in discussions with contacts from my previous employer on two different downshift work opportunities. It's too early to tell if either of these will pan out, but going part-time with my current employer may also be an option.
Exciting times!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #798 on: May 19, 2019, 06:03:03 PM »
Our retirement plans are really starting to take shape!
  • We purchased our third rental property a few months ago and the remodel is almost complete. It's turning out very nicely and I don't expect to have any problems renting it.
  • Last week our offer was accepted on a condo that will be our retirement home. After we sell our current home, there should be enough to pay off this condo as well as the rental mentioned above (if we so choose).
  • I am in discussions with contacts from my previous employer on two different downshift work opportunities. It's too early to tell if either of these will pan out, but going part-time with my current employer may also be an option.
Exciting times!

That IS exciting! Hope the downshifting opportunities work out for you!

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #799 on: May 19, 2019, 06:10:38 PM »
Trifele on the 2019 list has fixed the excessive reposting by just editing the pre-existing (latest page) list. It helps if the list maintainer is 1 person who is quick about updates.  I wasn't, so Trifele picked up the list maintainance.

Ahhh yes, I recall some comments about that some time back.  That's a good idea.