Author Topic: 2020 FIRE Cohort  (Read 539940 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2020 FIRE Cohort
« Reply #450 on: May 16, 2018, 01:13:06 AM »
A recession late 2018 and 2019 with recovery in 2020 would be perfect for me. I'd like to be hiking the Appalachian Trail next year but will wait a year if the economy goes south to take advantage of lower costs funds and stocks.

What if we have another 5-10 year period with negative/neutral returns? Will you keep putting off life after work?

Hiking the AT is really really cheap. Just saying.

I am thinking that maybe with a recession we should do more part time consulting. We also plan to do a lot of cheap stuff after FIRE.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #451 on: May 16, 2018, 06:56:12 AM »
A recession late 2018 and 2019 with recovery in 2020 would be perfect for me. I'd like to be hiking the Appalachian Trail next year but will wait a year if the economy goes south to take advantage of lower costs funds and stocks.

What if we have another 5-10 year period with negative/neutral returns? Will you keep putting off life after work?

I am thinking that maybe with a recession we should do more part time consulting. We also plan to do a lot of cheap stuff after FIRE.

DH and I are also hoping for a 2018/20119 recession.  We could really use a sale on stocks as this is our biggest contribution year. 

I am still wobbling on my exit.  OMY really kinda freaks me out, but as the high income earner with potential bonuses depending on departure dates, I'll need to be strategic in my exit. 

Some good news for me (bad for others...).  My company is becoming another company so when this officially happens the pensions will not longer be a thing, so they can be cashed out.  If I can have the company hold it until DH retires, then our income will be down and taxes wont eat as much.  Then this will act as our cash buffer for reducing our early sequence of return risks.  It should be about 1.5x our minimum yearly spend, so not a bad windfall. 

We are also expecting layoffs in September.  My site should not be in the cross hairs, BUT since i am the newest in the group, I could be the first one out regardless of site.  Then OMY becaome TLY (two less years). 

In other news, we have our eye on some land we really like. I may waste most of my work day spreadsheeting to arrive at the "land = X months of extra work" calculation so we can determine if its worth it.

I've been quiet both here and in my journal because we put an offer in on that land, it was accepted after minimal haggling, and we are in a 45 day holding pattern until closing. We close next Thursday. Suffice it to say, my spreadsheeting has been kind of thwarted because it's been such an odd 2 months worth of income and expenses. We're buying the land with cash so I reduced our 401K front-loading to minimize the amount of investments we'd have to pull to fund it. After the dust settles and we have a few months of normal paychecks and expenses, I'll be able to recast our FIRE date. No OMY here hopefully. We're still targeting 2020, it may just be fall versus spring now, because now all of a sudden we're talking about getting a tractor and drawing up plans for our pole barn and crap haha. This land is part of the end-game though, so we're pretty stoked.

Glad you got the land without much haggle!

I recently updated in the 2019 FIRE cohort, as I am between two camps.
We are currently pretty well on schedule to reach or FIRE in 2020 stash at the end of 2018. If we manage, 2019 only needs to provide enough income to cover for itself, so minimum 25% of our normal nett income.

That's not a bad place to be!

LV

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #452 on: May 16, 2018, 12:04:16 PM »

I'm looking to June 2019 for now, but if the economy starts to go to shit and my investments drop over the next year, I might have to join the 2020 cohorts.  I'm slowly moving to a more conservative AA, but I can only take so much of a hit before I will OMY, which is sometimes tempting even if the stash is doing well.  I'm still planning for 2019 for as long as I can - at least FIRE doesn't seem so far off that way.

How about doing OMY part time working?

Yeah, I've posted about that in the 2019 thread in the past, IIRC.  The thing is, I don't know if that will be an option where I work now, and I would take a big wage cut to work somewhere else vs. the senior position I am in at my current company.  It's a big enough organization that positions are budgeted for, and I am the only one in my position, and it's a full time job.  They might be willing to keep me on in a very limited role until a new person is hired and for training the new employee, but beyond that, who knows, and I don't know how many hours of work I would get - they might try to phase me out as soon as possible.  I don't dare suggest the interest in it now, or they might do some emergency budgeting to bring in someone else to work with me well in advance of me wanting to FIRE/partime, and I certainly don't want to deal with that for an extended period of time while I'm still working full time.  So I won't really know if that's an option until I'm prepared to say I'm retiring from full time work.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #453 on: May 16, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »

DH and I are also hoping for a 2018/20119 recession.  We could really use a sale on stocks as this is our biggest contribution year. 

Whether I would personally benefit from a recession or not, I would never wish on one to come.  I'm thinking about the greater good, but it can take a long time for stocks to recover.  We have had lost decades of no real gains in the past, and they leave even more people hurting as they lose jobs, drops in business, not finding jobs, etc.  A recession is sure to come, they always do, but I hope it's still years away.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #454 on: May 17, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »
958 calendar days to go.  A lot is changing for me in those days, so I'm not positive about my FIRE date.  It could be earlier if the new boss I have in Jan 2019 is an asshole or it could be later if things take a turn for the positive and I begin to enjoy my job again.  Also, it looks like my BF will be moving in next year and I just don't know how that will effect things.  Health insurance is also a concern.  But I'm sticking with 12/31/2020 for now.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #455 on: May 17, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »
Currently looking at May 2020.  We'll see though.  Will adjust based on how work is going.  If I'm having fun I'll stick around longer...

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #456 on: May 20, 2018, 07:06:31 PM »
I知 hoping to land my lawn dart in May 2020 as well. Macro factors that I share with others, mean my FI and RE may be split:

1. State of healthcare here in the US
2. My DSs progress on finishing college
3. Sequencing whether DW or I RE first
4. Do I take last year or OMY to eliminate mortgage then (not now)

Good news, FI should land in 2020, making these factors easier to solve.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #457 on: May 23, 2018, 03:23:17 PM »
Apparently May 2020 is the time to retire!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #458 on: May 25, 2018, 03:42:39 AM »

Not for me. It is either beginning of 2020 or somewhere in 2019.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #459 on: May 25, 2018, 05:13:06 AM »
2019 would be even better than 2020, if you are ready :).

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #460 on: May 26, 2018, 08:08:41 AM »

Why May though?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #461 on: May 26, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
@DeanHedlund,

Many can make enough earned income to max out tax advantaged space, take advantage of a really low tax bracket, and in the Northern Hemisphere, enjoy a nice summer off =)

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2018, 01:31:37 PM »
May for me lines up with my birthday that year 😆

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #463 on: May 26, 2018, 03:35:22 PM »
@DeanHedlund,

Many can make enough earned income to max out tax advantaged space, take advantage of a really low tax bracket, and in the Northern Hemisphere, enjoy a nice summer off =)

Yep.  May 2020  for us for the above reasons. Also because we値l put our house on the market for the summer selling season and get ready to be nomads. Not sure if we値l truly be FIRE壇 as we plan to do some part time consulting.

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #464 on: May 28, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »
@DeanHedlund,

Yep.  May 2020  for us for the above reasons. Also because we値l put our house on the market for the summer selling season and get ready to be nomads. Not sure if we値l truly be FIRE壇 as we plan to do some part time consulting.

I see. Thanks. Many of us are shooting for April because (1) annual bonus and shares paid in March, (2) 401K eligible matches are quarterly so 1 day of working in April will qualify for Q2 match.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: May 28, 2018, 11:42:49 AM »
@DeanHedlund,

I recently I heard a Norwegian financial podcast where they talked about selling houses. Most villas are put on the market i May when the snow is gone. The expert thought that this gives a lot of competition. He thought it might be smart to put your house on the market a month earlier to avoid the large wave of villas on sale. He thought buyers have some phantasy to imagine what a garden could look like.

We are planning in the near future to take some good quality pictures of our garden when it looks nice and summerly with the flowers blooming. We can use the pictures if we want to sell earlier.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #466 on: May 28, 2018, 12:14:15 PM »
@DeanHedlund,

I see. Thanks. Many of us are shooting for April because (1) annual bonus and shares paid in March, (2) 401K eligible matches are quarterly so 1 day of working in April will qualify for Q2 match.

For me, bonus is paid in February, and I get a fresh new 4 weeks of vacation at the end of Feb, which means I'll get a pay-out for that.  But the first week of June will allow me to get a medical exam out of the way while still on the company insurance plan and be off for the summer.  If I can move the exam up a month, I will so that I can FIRE in early May instead, but I've found them sticklers in the past with the designated waiting periods between exams, whether medical, dental, or vision.  I'm still hoping for 2019 at this point.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #467 on: May 28, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
@DeanHedlund,

I recently I heard a Norwegian financial podcast where they talked about selling houses. Most villas are put on the market i May when the snow is gone. The expert thought that this gives a lot of competition. He thought it might be smart to put your house on the market a month earlier to avoid the large wave of villas on sale. He thought buyers have some phantasy to imagine what a garden could look like.

We are planning in the near future to take some good quality pictures of our garden when it looks nice and summerly with the flowers blooming. We can use the pictures if we want to sell earlier.

That is a good idea to take pictures during a different season.  We池e planning to put it on the market in June. Ideal will be to sell in late July or august to try to coincide with our daughter returning to college. The market is hot here and houses sell quickly. But of course nothing ever works out as planned. I think our word for the year in 202 will be flexibility.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #468 on: May 30, 2018, 01:39:12 PM »
2020 is my date.  I'll turn 35.  I'll jump from 60% to 100% vesting.  I'll have ~5 years of spending to know my actual annual expenses.  Right now it's estimated, since I've been living overseas.  Also, it gives time for ACA to settle out, so I can estimate that more accurately. 

I hit 25x my estimated expenses this year, so I would jump on an offer to switch to part time.  I want more than 25x for a 60 year retirement, and if I have a family one day, it will no longer be 25x.
I recently hit 33x (3%) of the last number I calculated, but some of that money is not vested yet.  Also, I'm less sure on my expenses, due to health reasons.  I may end up moving to part time soon...

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #469 on: May 30, 2018, 03:41:28 PM »

Why May though?

Sure tax and other financial reasons, but mostly because we are shooting for the day before DH turns 41.  So he is actually retiring on a Wednesday. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 05:56:17 AM by Loren Ver »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #470 on: May 31, 2018, 12:50:55 AM »
I would appreciate it if you would contribute to my thread here, since it is a major part of our FIRE moment:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/real-estate-and-landlording/when-is-a-smart-time-for-us-to-sell-our-house/

(I will also post it in the 2019 thread.)

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #471 on: June 01, 2018, 02:15:29 PM »
May 2018 highlights:

- Howdy folks!  After some slower progress during 1Q-18, things have picked up.  Monthly savings goals met & portfolio performance has improved.

- We are still directing some after-tax capital and paying down our (future LCOL) home's mortgage principle (4.125%); we do not plan to carry a mortgage into FIRE.  We view the current high-CAPE environment as a reasonable opportunity to pay down the principle vs. solely making equity investments.  We are staying selective with after-tax equity investments from our prior HCOL home sale; doing our best to balance the two.

- It has been such a busy 1H of the year, that we are looking forward to a slower summer.  We have almost finished our "Whole30" diet reset, which has given us better perspective on how we eat and how different foods make us feel.  Lost a bit of (needed) weight and have been really active, and I hope to keep this up as we get into the hotter months.

- Countdown target is now @ 22 months (Apr-2020) ... this could get too real, very soon ... have a great month everyone!

EOY 2015: 56.2%
EOY 2016: 70.6%
EOY 2017: 78.6%

JAN 2018:  78.8%
FEB 2018:  77.3%
MAR 2018: 77.6%
APR 2018:  80.3%
MAY 2018:  81.9%

FIREby2021

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: June 05, 2018, 01:41:29 AM »
Pasted from my post in the 2019 FIRE cohort thread:
I just discovered an error in my Excel sheet. I had a formula calculating how much I would have left in 2019. Somehow I had taken our salaries before taxes, minus all the taxes = savings. I just totally forgot to register the yearly expenses. I corrected the formula and it added 50.000 USD more to our FIRE amount. Therefore I think we cannot quit early 2019 and probably need to work through most of 2019.
DH and I have been discussing asking to work 80% after the summer. I think we will still consider this. We are both tired of working 100%, so this would be good for our sanity anyway. But it will probably move FIRE to 2020.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #473 on: June 05, 2018, 05:02:16 AM »
Linda,
I'm glad you found the error now and not later.  Sorry you have to push your date back though, that is not so fun.

LV

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #474 on: June 05, 2018, 07:19:31 AM »
I hit my "If the office is destroyed by a meteorite, I won't look for another job" number.

Under 400 work days to go, still anticipating March 20, 2020 as the end.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #475 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

Count us in for May 8th, 2020  :)

I picked this date for the following reasons:
1)  I'm eligible for a 1-month sabbatical in Jan 2020
2)  Annual bonus is in  Feb
3)  RSU grants are in late April and early May
4)  We hope to hit our target number AND pay for expensive renovations (which include extensive foundation work) in the next two years

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #476 on: June 18, 2018, 01:19:48 PM »
is anyone FIRE with less than 1 million?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: June 18, 2018, 01:29:59 PM »

Yes, less than 1 mil USD, counting the loose money to be invested. But that is beside owning a downpaid house that will cost max half of our current house. In total house value + investment money is approx 1 mil USD. We will both be receiving a pension from the age of 67. And probably receive 2 inheritages at an unpredictable time in the future.

Edit: sorry, I thought that you had asked: who is planning to FIRE? For me, only planning so far.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #478 on: June 18, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »
500k CAD stash for me. + Maybe 50k in house equity.

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #479 on: June 22, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »

Yes, here. I知 considering FIRE on taxable account only ( 500-600kish then ), or taxable plus 72t my 401k (800-900k ish then).

Final answer will be in 2020 most likely.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #480 on: June 22, 2018, 10:56:33 PM »
The 2018 thread is cranking out FIRED folks left and right.

Y'all are closer than you think to 2020!   

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #481 on: June 23, 2018, 04:41:18 AM »
So much going on!

This describes us.  Even if we include our house we will be less than 1 million when we pull the rip cord. 

I hit my "If the office is destroyed by a meteorite, I won't look for another job" number.

Woot woot!  Congrats!!

So DH gave himself a three day weekend while I was on a business trip.  When I got back he asked if we could retire in 2019 instead of 2020.  Waiting another year just seemed like way too much time to be sitting in an office.  We did lots of math and made a May 2019 plan.  We have a plan A for May 2019, a plan B which is also May 2019, and Plan C is to move the date back to May 2020.

Since he plans to retire on his 40th Birthday now, his last day will be on a Tuesday.
I think I need to switch Cohorts....

SOOOO EXCITING!!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #482 on: June 23, 2018, 04:52:36 AM »

So DH gave himself a three day weekend while I was on a business trip.  When I got back he asked if we could retire in 2019 instead of 2020.  Waiting another year just seemed like way too much time to be sitting in an office.  We did lots of math and made a May 2019 plan.  We have a plan A for May 2019, a plan B which is also May 2019, and Plan C is to move the date back to May 2020.

Since he plans to retire on his 40th Birthday now, his last day will be on a Tuesday.
I think I need to switch Cohorts....

SOOOO EXCITING!!!!

Indeed exciting. Forty is a really young age to retire. You might have a good chance for side hussles coming your way as well.
As you know, I am also between the 2020 and 2019 cohort. It really depends on how much we manage to save if it is late 2019 or early 2020. And how much we get for selling the house. But we probably don't do that before retiring, because of the stress that causes.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 01:22:04 AM by Linda_Norway »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #483 on: June 23, 2018, 06:12:38 PM »

Indeed exciting. Forty is a really young age to retire. You might have a good chance for side hussles coming your way as well.
As you know, I an also between the 2020 and 2019 cohort. It really depends on how much we manage to save if it is late 2019 or early 2020. And how much we get for selling the house. But we probably don't do that before retiring, because of the stress that causes.

That sounds like a good plan.  Selling a house will probably be less of a headache if you do it post retirement.  Good luck with your savings!

letsdoit

• Bristles
« Reply #484 on: June 25, 2018, 11:55:47 AM »

Yes, here. I知 considering FIRE on taxable account only ( 500-600kish then ), or taxable plus 72t my 401k (800-900k ish then).

that's at least 1.3 mill, or am I missing something ?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #485 on: June 25, 2018, 04:04:56 PM »

OP said taxable plus 401k is 800-900. So OP has ~300k in 401k. And they are planning to FIRE on 800-900k.

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2018, 07:51:13 AM »

OP said taxable plus 401k is 800-900. So OP has ~300k in 401k. And they are planning to FIRE on 800-900k.

Yep, thats right. Thanks!

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #487 on: June 30, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
June 2018 highlights:

- Halfway point of 2018!  The 2Q certainly treated us better than the 1Q from a NW progress perspective.  Monthly savings goals met & portfolio performance has improved.

- It is getting really hot & humid down here in SE TX ... this is the first summer since we secured our future LCOL home (not in SE TX), and I am already missing their weather.  More motivation to stick with the plan!  While we continue to rent down here, we are aggressively paying down our future LCOL home mortgage (4.125%); we do not plan to carry a mortgage into FIRE.

- Summer gardening is a challenge here, but we are somehow keeping the kale & chard greens + herbs going.  The fig tree that we inherited at our new rental house is KILLING IT - I bet I've harvested over 200 fresh figs so far, and they keep coming.  It's been fun to snack & cook with these, and we've given a bunch of them away to friends.  The citrus trees (meyer lemon & kumquat) are producing green fruit, so that promises to be a fun harvest in the fall.

- Despite the heat, I've been pretty consistent with my eating & exercise program this year.  I turn the big 40 later this summer, and hope to be back in a healthy, sustainable place.  I went through a back injury a couple years ago, and its been a long journey.  Very thankful

- Taking some steps to 'stretch' myself during July ... I am doing a public speaking/teaching event, and also pursuing a certification related to my potential future side-gig.  I'm not an experienced public speaker, however the prep has been intense & rewarding.  I'm nervous but also looking forward to both, as these are not things I'd normally do!

- Our ideal countdown target is now @ 21 months (Apr-2020) ... have a great July 4th week everyone!

JUN 2018:  83.3%

FIREby2021
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:14:11 AM by FIREby2021 »

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: June 30, 2018, 06:28:40 PM »
Everyone sounds like they are doing great here so well done but I'm going to spoil the party.

I am going to push out my retirement date to 2022. It might happen earlier than that but I want to resign myself to working until 2022 and if it comes earlier that is better for me. The main reason being that our expenses appear to be moving upwards with 2 teenagers costing us more money. I don't want to have an estimate of expenses that are too low which in my opinion is that main reason why FIRE will fail.

Still wifey will retire in 2020.

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #489 on: July 02, 2018, 11:50:58 AM »
This is the first year we are doing a deep-dive into tracking every one of our expenditures.  Recognizing we are at the ~2 year countdown, we want to be sure our annual expense assumption is valid.  At the end of 2018, we'll use our expense info (categorized) to project future expenses in our new LCOL location.  While we won't make COLA assumption changes, we will account for some "known" cost reductions vs. our current HCOL scenario:

For example, in the future location we will:
-> Not have a mortgage + interest payment
-> Reduce from 2 cars to 1 car (walkable, bike-friendly location + no commuting)
-> No housekeeper

Now that we have 6 months of data (1H-2018), we can already see we'll at least be "close" to our preferred annual expenses (this budget includes travel, healthcare, home maintenance savings fund, etc.), so that's been a nice confirmation.

The other thing we've seen is a confirmation of reaching our savings goals for the 1H-2018.  Current breakdown (after taxes) looks like this:

-> 67% SAVINGS (GOAL = 65%)
-> 23% SPENDING
-> 10% GIVING

I'm hopeful by EOY 2018 to see the GIVING number increased closer to 12%.

Anyway, some random thoughts as we are starting to accumulate some usable data @ mid-year on our expenses this year.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #490 on: July 12, 2018, 09:02:48 PM »
Edit: my request for 80% work is granted.

Congrats, Linda! I just started 80% time too. It's been great so far, I should've done this a long time ago.

Richmond 2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #491 on: July 24, 2018, 01:44:20 PM »
Saving and investing more. Earning more. I知 moving my date forward to 2019.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #492 on: July 25, 2018, 08:29:36 PM »
I'm committed to leaving full time work in Q2 of 2020. We will not be FI but we will have enough for lots of flexibility.  We will either workr less cover the gap or move to a lower COLA.

Plan is to kick some #@# in the next two years, save, save, save, hit eject and see what happens.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #493 on: July 27, 2018, 03:54:54 PM »
Staying the course.  Expenses took a big jump with multiple expensive car and home repairs.  Looking at some future home repairs as well, but we're still on track.  Really, nothing unexpected in the whole, just bad timing to have them all happen right now.

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #494 on: August 01, 2018, 11:54:05 AM »
July 2018 highlights:

- Just a brief update this month; all savings goals met!

- A very hot and dry month here in SE TX ... summer gardening has been tough, and we're looking forward to the fall harvest of citrus (meyer lemon & kumquat) and more bountiful salad greens.

- Staying consistent with my eating & exercise program this year.  I've lost 11 pounds in the past 2-3 months and am feeling stronger.  August is the month I turn 40 (!!) and want to start this decade off in a healthy place.

- Our ideal countdown target is now @ 20 months (Apr-2020)!  Our previous (original) target is still out there at 35 months (Jul-2021).

JUL 2018:  83.9%

FIREby2021

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #495 on: August 09, 2018, 06:36:54 PM »
Hoping to be a part of this cohort, but it seems like the finish line is moving further away as I get closer to it. Does anyone else feel that way?

Just passed 900K in various accounts, about 700k of that is in Taxable. We rent, so zero in Home Equity.
Expenses are ~45K.

Reason I say finish line is moving further away is that we are expecting our first child this December! So our expenses are gonna go up and we are going to lose my wife's income at the same time. She might go back to work eventually, but in a very limited capacity.

All of this will slow us down in terms of FIRE, and will probably push us into the 2021 cohort, but I'm still hoping to make it in 2020 with you guys!

TheContinentalOp

• Bristles
« Reply #496 on: August 28, 2018, 11:03:53 AM »
I hit my walkway-on-my-terms number. Still 18 months out from my planned FIRE date.

FIREby2021

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #497 on: September 03, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »
August 2018 highlights:

- Despite the heat & humidity, it was a really nice month.  I'm now an uncle (!!), football season is now upon us, I celebrated a "milestone" birthday (39*, ah-hem), experienced travel to a new country (India), and we met all of our savings goals!

- The trip to India was for business, and despite jet-lag, was a lot of fun ... I hope to return later this year.  We are about to enter a season with some domestic travel to see extended family, as well as an October trip back to visit friends at our FUTURE FIRE location.  I have a feeling the last 4 months of 2018 are going to FLY by!

- Regarding my eating & exercise program this year, I've kept the 11 pound weight loss off, and am feeling great.  My commitment to the program helps reinforce the work-life balance I enjoy, and most weeks I target 2x yoga classes and 3-4 weight training / higher intensity sessions.  Sustainable is the name of the game for me ... in our future FIRE location I hope to enjoy so much more outdoors, but this is fine for now.

- Our ideal countdown target is now @ 19 months (what!!!)  Our old (original) target is still out there at 34 months (Jul-2021).

JUL 2018:  83.9%
AUG 2018: 84.4%

FIREby2021

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #498 on: September 04, 2018, 07:16:23 AM »
Now that we have critical mass in this post, I thought it would be interesting to hear how everyone was dealing with 2016, given we are four years from FIRE.

I will start. I feel helpless. This is good news because I don't think I can screw up my timeline. But bad news because in the past I have been able to take action to accelerate the timeline. Now I think I am as efficient as I'm willing to go.

So now I sit and I wait. Perhaps since I can't impact my financial situation, I should be working on the emotional change that I will soon experience. Four years seems so far away.

I'm not sure I follow your question.  Do you mean the turbulence in the markets in 2016?  The S&P 500 is about where it was when the year started, no?  That doesn't seem so bad.

As for your other questions, 2020 is a very soft timeline for me at this point, so I don't think I'm really thinking about the emotional changes.  I'm hoping to have two kids by then, which will probably drastically alter my life and perhaps my timeline.  That's okay.  I'm 29 and don't need to rush too much.

For me, my big question is how long I stick it out in my brutal, on call 24 hours a day, come back from your family funeral early job.  If I'm on more of a 2022 or 2024 schedule, it probably makes sense to look for a more  humane job for the interim.  if I really want to accelerate my plans and deal with the pain, maybe I should stick it out at this one for so long as they'll have me.

To risk sounding like a therapist, my question was...how does this make you feel?

We all have something in common with our expected FIRE date, so I expect we will be having similar issues, thoughts, fears, excitement, etc.
Responding to this post two years later (ha!).  I am still in that job, and now have a 1.5 year old.  Still struggling with the same question.

I invested about as much as I predicted (although my NW went up by a lot more as well as I paid down debt and my apartment went up in value).  My marriage is in shambles (for unrelated reasons), so now in addition to the job question, I spend a lot of time on the "do I stay or do I go" question, as well.   There are at least four outcomes: Leave him, leave job; leave him, keep job; keep him, leave job; leave him, leave job.  I'm not sure which decision to make first. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #499 on: September 04, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
I spend a lot of time on the "do I stay or do I go" question, as well.   There are at least four outcomes: Leave him, leave job; leave him, keep job; keep him, leave job; leave him, leave job.  I'm not sure which decision to make first. 

It's best to rip off a bandaid swiftly.