Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793023 times)

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2500 on: June 05, 2019, 03:04:24 PM »
Congrats Moose-like person!

At 29 and 27, you're like me, there's no downside to retiring now, since you could easily go back, and you have decades of time to cover off issues, by making tiny incremental changes to either income, returns, or simply consuming less. Nice pension Payouts?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. My wife's salary will probably be around 2-3x our cost of living in Hanoi. That will allow plenty of cash for plane tickets to see the region and a bit of additional savings money. She's still got a big tuition bill due in September for her Master's, but that will be the last one and it should come with a nice pay bump to recoup the costs in about 5 years.

I'm not sure what our pension transfer values will be, but I think the timing is pretty good with the total collapse in Canadian 5 year bond yields in the past year. I should find out in a month or so.

I don't think we'll be dipping into our investment accounts at all for at least 5 years. Lots of time for further growth, hopefully on the other side of our first retirement bear market.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 03:09:22 PM by RichMoose »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2501 on: June 05, 2019, 05:47:50 PM »
Welcome @RichMoose.  Glad you joined us and I am really happy to see some public service representation at the early ages.  It can be done and you did it!!

Loren

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2502 on: June 05, 2019, 11:45:07 PM »
Welcome @RichMoose and congratulations on achieiving FIRE at such a young age.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #2503 on: June 06, 2019, 11:11:39 AM »
Welcome @RichMoose.  Glad you joined us and I am really happy to see some public service representation at the early ages.  It can be done and you did it!!

Loren

Welcome @RichMoose and congratulations on achieiving FIRE at such a young age.

Thanks folks! My wife and I worked hard, paid our own way through school with part-time jobs to avoid debt, I took overtime opportunities wherever I could, and we lived within our means. As we Mustachians know, it is not rocket science.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2504 on: June 06, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »
Out of curioisity, since i've been vaguely following your blog, (too technical for me), would index funds have gotten your to fire at the same speed?

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
« Reply #2505 on: June 06, 2019, 11:29:00 AM »
Out of curioisity, since i've been vaguely following your blog, (too technical for me), would index funds have gotten your to fire at the same speed?

Probably not. I had great returns 2015-2017 with my strategy. I also beat the market in 2018 by a little bit.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2506 on: June 07, 2019, 03:14:43 AM »
No word yet from @DreamFIRE.  Are you still on target for today?

Large group up next week!  How fun. 

06/12/19     @tooqk4u22
06/14/19     @Dibdab (56)
06/15/19     @okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     @2Birds1Stone  (32)

How are the four of you doing? 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2507 on: June 07, 2019, 04:29:06 AM »
Howdy, @Trifele!

Can't share too many details here just yet, but I'm still on target.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2508 on: June 07, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »
Howdy, @Trifele!

We're all rooting for you.  Just don't be this guy...

Caroline PF

• Stubble
« Reply #2509 on: June 07, 2019, 11:27:07 AM »
Howdy, @Trifele!

We're all rooting for you.  Just don't be this guy...

LOL

"Lost Tiree, lost Dutch . . . HR came from behind!"

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2510 on: June 07, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »
Hello All,

I have been lurking on this thread for many months — and am finally ready to join in the fun! 

After a 15 year career in healthcare IT, I will be retiring on October 1, 2019.  Odd choice of day (Monday), but it’s the earliest possible date for me to retire and collect a reduced pension from my employer. 

Plans post Oct 1 include overseas travel (Indonesia), volunteering, and likely purchasing/fixing up a second investment property.  My husband will retire three months after me so that’s when our ‘real retirement’ will begin (January 2020) together.  We will be 55/56.

We attended CampFI this spring, and during a ‘transition to retirement’ discussion, everyone who was post FIRE admitted that they rarely told people they were actually retired, due to the negative reactions they got.  Most identified themselves as ‘consultants’. 

Which now has me thinking about my ‘exit story’.  In our culture, departing employees are announced via a fairly detailed email outlining their career accomplishments to date, and next steps.

So Fellow 2019-ers— what did you tell people when you left your employer?

Snakes-in-the-Grass/Beth

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #2512 on: June 07, 2019, 07:46:33 PM »

stay tuned for edits, this is my not-so-sober take on it.

The truth. I explain it so non-chalantly people don't really challenge it.

Also, I won't ever see any of those people every again, so I don't really care what they think. My friends all know and were only positive.

SnakesintheGrass

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2513 on: June 08, 2019, 03:33:49 AM »
Lotsa possible answers:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/do-any-of-you-flat-out-lie-about-keeping-a-job/

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/am-i-obligated-to-tell-friends-about-my-fire-plans/

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/do-you-tell-people/

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what-would-you-tell-your-19-year-old-self/

stay tuned for edits, this is my not-so-sober take on it.

Thanks @markbike528CBX for these links.

As @Hikester put it in the most recent thread:  “FIRE in the closet is a real thing.”

Lots to think about...

Snakes-in-the-Grass/Beth

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2514 on: June 08, 2019, 05:09:18 AM »
Welcome @SnakesintheGrass!  Got you added for October 1 on the most recent list. 

Yeah, I haven't lied outright to anyone about FIRE, but how much I choose to share with strangers and acquaintances varies.  Family and friends all know and are 100% supportive.  I have multiple FIRE-ees in my family so they're like, "what took you so long?" haha.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2515 on: June 08, 2019, 05:30:46 AM »

Snakes-in-the-Grass/Beth

I went back and forth on what to do and wasn't certain until I met with my direct boss, we decided to own it as early retirement. 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2516 on: June 08, 2019, 06:18:45 AM »
Hello All,

I have been lurking on this thread for many months — and am finally ready to join in the fun! 

Welcome Beth, it sounds like you have quite an exciting FIRE adventure awaiting you.

At 62 I'm only a few years early so I just say I'm retiring and people have been appropriately happy for me. If I were much younger I would probably just say I've decided to take time off to write a novel.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2517 on: June 08, 2019, 02:50:35 PM »
Hello All,

...snip...

Snakes-in-the-Grass/Beth

And fun it is.  Welcome to the team!!  I am so glad you decided to join us.

For me, I told fellow employees that I was retiring.  Those close to me knew it was coming and threw me a party.  The reactions from there varied.  I had several people tell me reasons I could do this (you don't have kids etc).  It is partly true, though you can FIRE with kids.  I didn't so that isn't my battle to fight.  To a few people that came by that I am not close to at all (and kinda avoided) I told them we were quitting and would "figure it out later."  I didn't tell them that means never to work again.  Telling people in my pay bracket or above doesn't bother me at all.

DH announced on facebook.  As someone one that never wanted to work, it was a BIG deal for him.

For neighbors, we say nothing.  We live in a very low cost of housing area, many people struggling to get by.  No one has asked and we don't say.  I really don't need the gambit of other people's feelings this close to where I live. 

Sorry, long answer :).

5Oclocksomewhere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2518 on: June 10, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
I just gave my boss notice last week that I was retiring as of July 5th.  FREEEEDOMMM!  After years of quietly living on one income, lurking on early retirement blogs, and doing a couple OMYs, I finally pulled off the band-aid.  It feels amazing to be out and proud about early retirement.  I'm telling everyone with a big-ass smile on my face and a skip in my step.

waffles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2519 on: June 10, 2019, 03:43:50 PM »
I've been pretty vocal at work since late last year that I was going to retire in June. I've actually been annoying my co-workers by counting down the weeks lol. I have been considering it motivation for retirement planning for the early career folks. I have a federal government job, so I push the younger employees about TSP contributions and discuss the different investment funds like I wish someone had done for me when I started. Education is key.

I only have 5 work shifts left! My actual last day of work is June 19, technically retiring on June 29. There have been some comments on how happy I seem about it!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2520 on: June 10, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
Woo Hoo @5Oclocksomewhere  and @waffles!  Good times are ahead!!

5Oclock, that is a fun first post!  :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2521 on: June 10, 2019, 07:04:10 PM »
Welcome @5Oclocksomewhere!  Awesome first post, announcing your FIRE date, go you!  I've added you to the list for July 5. 

Also got you updated to June 19 Waffles -- so close!  Love your efforts to educate co-workers.

To all the lurkers reading this:  Maybe you know you have enough money, but are struggling to pull the trigger.  Maybe you've been OMYing for a while.  Maybe you're scared, but desperate to taste that freedom.  Well, come on in here!  Whether you need help stepping through the door, or just someone to celebrate with you on the other side, we're your crew!   

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2522 on: June 11, 2019, 01:58:05 PM »
Well, I think peer pressure will keep me in the job until 2020.  I'm happy with my stache, but extending from Sept to next April shouldn't be so bad because I'm part time.   I was thinking of retiring mid September, now looking March/April 2020. 

I will be taking 2 weeks off in Sept (Montana), all of November (Patagonia + Antarctica!), most of December (Family time, chill), and a few days in Jan-March  (and I get 8 weeks off this July-August too! Alaska & Yukon!)
It means I'll get my bonus the end of March (no bonus paid if I leave before March)
I'm still saving around $5K a month in the meantime, even the months I'm not working.  This will give me some slush money - like I've been looking at RV's and occasionally I take an expensive trip.
I have health insurance for 6.5 months longer.  I was pricing out ACA plans because I won't take a subsidy and holy cow I'm not looking forward to paying those - it takes over 15% of my monthly retirement budget. 
Get to dump in 2020 contributions to 401K and maybe eligible for Roth.   
A couple guys that are well aware of my situation (both older) are convincing me I have the best gig ever and should keep it as long as I can. 

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2523 on: June 11, 2019, 06:13:00 PM »
To all the lurkers reading this:  Maybe you know you have enough money, but are struggling to pull the trigger.  Maybe you've been OMYing for a while.  Maybe you're scared, but desperate to taste that freedom.  Well, come on in here!  Whether you need help stepping through the door, or just someone to celebrate with you on the other side, we're your crew!   

I've been lurking here some, but I decided back in December to OMY to 2020 or 2021 after the ACA was ruled unconstitutional along with the lowest point in last year's stock market drop, both of those in December 2018.  I started a case study about OMY vs. 2MY, and it looks like it's just OMY for me if the ACA ends up staying in place.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/case-studies/case-study-omy-or-2/

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2524 on: June 12, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
I've been pretty vocal at work since late last year that I was going to retire in June. I've actually been annoying my co-workers by counting down the weeks lol. I have been considering it motivation for retirement planning for the early career folks. I have a federal government job, so I push the younger employees about TSP contributions and discuss the different investment funds like I wish someone had done for me when I started. Education is key.

@waffles - I agree with this completely.  I found a couple of other people who were quietly on the FIRE path at work by being open about my plans, and got a few others on the path.  One young engineer who was familiar with my plans asked a basic question about investing and the conversation developed from there.  She's now fully on board with FIRE, although to be fair I think she would have gotten there anyway because she's naturally frugal and is a very fast rising engineer. 

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #2525 on: June 12, 2019, 11:42:57 AM »
  The plan as it stands now is my house sale would close June 12 according to an accepted offer and I will work two days after closing.  I have vacation approved for the last two weeks of June, so I plan on giving my boss the obligatory 2 week notice of termination right before I leave on the last day.  That way I don't have to explain I'm retiring to everybody.   
Is the 2 week notice really obligatory? If not, seems like you are playing semantics. In reality you look like you are giving no notice as the company/co-workers wont have time to properly off-board you. Obviously, there are no repercussions if you are planning on leaving the industry for good but I would think about your relationship with co-workers/friends. I had a co-worker just do this (he's moving to California so didn't care about burning bridges). Just seemed like a lack of respect for the teammembers having to pick up the work.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2526 on: June 12, 2019, 11:47:16 AM »
marty conlon! love the name. one of my fav BB players of all time.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2527 on: June 13, 2019, 12:24:12 AM »
  The plan as it stands now is my house sale would close June 12 according to an accepted offer and I will work two days after closing.  I have vacation approved for the last two weeks of June, so I plan on giving my boss the obligatory 2 week notice of termination right before I leave on the last day.  That way I don't have to explain I'm retiring to everybody.   
Is the 2 week notice really obligatory? If not, seems like you are playing semantics. In reality you look like you are giving no notice as the company/co-workers wont have time to properly off-board you. Obviously, there are no repercussions if you are planning on leaving the industry for good but I would think about your relationship with co-workers/friends. I had a co-worker just do this (he's moving to California so didn't care about burning bridges). Just seemed like a lack of respect for the teammembers having to pick up the work.

If I were the company, I would unapprove the vacation, so that you would be present those 2 weeks, for some transfer of routines to your co-workers.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2528 on: June 13, 2019, 04:15:38 AM »

If I were the company, I would unapprove the vacation, so that you would be present those 2 weeks, for some transfer of routines to your co-workers.

Maybe Dibdab's coworkers don't deserve respect or thoughtfulness. Many years ago I did the same thing, using my vacation as my 2-week notice. I worked for pretty terrible company and my manager, who was inappropriately touchy-feely on top of everything else, lied to me about the work I was doing because he thought I might find the truth morally objectionable (because my work was supporting the testing of nuclear weapons). My then husband got fed up and encouraged me to just quit so I could help him start a business.

Disrespectful? Yes, but exactly what they deserved and the healthiest thing for me.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2529 on: June 13, 2019, 05:26:13 AM »
@tooqk4u22 -- How did it go yesterday?  Did you wrap up?

And how are you doing @Dibdab, @okonomiyaki, and @2Birds1Stone  ?  Is tomorrow still your last day?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:47:32 AM by Trifele »

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #2530 on: June 13, 2019, 02:31:36 PM »
Well, I just finished drafting my resignation letter, so I guess I'm part of the club!

I specifically did not specify a two-week notice, as I'm hoping we can get it to be sooner than that (Maybe next Weds or Thurs?). I'm in an ideal position to leave as I've been surreptitiously off-loading all of my responsibilities for the past several months. I think my manager has noticed this, but hopefully he'll appreciate it when I leave and nothing gets dropped. Personally, I think he's going to be pretty upset because we have a really close relationship and have bonded over our shared stress and anxiety working for a rather stressful and anxiety-inducing company. For that reason, I'm waiting until Monday to hand in my notice so as not to ruin his weekend. I REALLY want to just get it over with though!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2531 on: June 13, 2019, 07:07:44 PM »
Sorry for a rambling post, but today was an eventful day at the office. It did not go as planned and I have a lot to report.

I decided to tell my boss about my plans today as we had a meeting where they were relevant. But he dived right in to the meeting and so I addressed each point he raised without feeling it was the right time to mention my news. The feeling of nervousness in my stomach getting stronger and stronger as the meeting progressed. And then when he was done with all his points, I awkwardly told him that I have enrolled in a carpentry program starting in September which would require me to leave the job. I still don't feel 100% certain about my decision, although I'm 95-99% sure I will go through with leaving (I do really love my boss and coworkers!!). While I said I was leaning towards leaving, I think I left him with the impression that I was much less decided than I am. Not my finest hour. He wants me to give him my final decision ASAP.

Subsequently, and unrelated, I learned later this afternoon that I am being sent on business travel for two non-consecutive five day/four night trips in July. This in addition to my previously scheduled vacation for a week in July. This is a far greater amount of travel than I normally experience. (And I live alone and have a cat that currently needs medicine 2X per day, ugh! gonna be expensive!) I had been toying with making August 2 my last day in the office to allow a month off before starting the program, however now I will be out of town on business travel that week/day. I don't want my last day to be a day when I'm out of the office.

Tentative last day: August 9?
In addition to previously planned business travel and vacation, this would mean I have 35 work days remaining, 22 of which would be in the office-- Yikes!

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2532 on: June 13, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »
Sorry for a rambling post, but today was an eventful day at the office. It did not go as planned and I have a lot to report.

I decided to tell my boss about my plans today as we had a meeting where they were relevant. But he dived right in to the meeting and so I addressed each point he raised without feeling it was the right time to mention my news. The feeling of nervousness in my stomach getting stronger and stronger as the meeting progressed. And then when he was done with all his points, I awkwardly told him that I have enrolled in a carpentry program starting in September which would require me to leave the job. I still don't feel 100% certain about my decision, although I'm 95-99% sure I will go through with leaving (I do really love my boss and coworkers!!). While I said I was leaning towards leaving, I think I left him with the impression that I was much less decided than I am. Not my finest hour. He wants me to give him my final decision ASAP.

Subsequently, and unrelated, I learned later this afternoon that I am being sent on business travel for two non-consecutive five day/four night trips in July. This in addition to my previously scheduled vacation for a week in July. This is a far greater amount of travel than I normally experience. (And I live alone and have a cat that currently needs medicine 2X per day, ugh! gonna be expensive!) I had been toying with making August 2 my last day in the office to allow a month off before starting the program, however now I will be out of town on business travel that week/day. I don't want my last day to be a day when I'm out of the office.

In addition to previously planned business travel and vacation, this would mean I have 35 work days remaining, 22 of which would be in the office-- Yikes!

Why the 95-99% range?  Is it concern about money, making a huge change, health care, or something else?  I don't know your situation, but the worst thing I did as a part of my FIREing was to be uncertain and ambiguous with my company.  There was a potential project they wanted me to support a few months after my FIRE date, and I feel like I spent about 6 weeks with the possibility of going back for a few weeks hanging over my head.  I still had a great time and got a start on a lot of things that I wanted to do, but I think a clean break would have been better.  I offer this as a cautionary tale so hopefully you don't make the same mistake I did.  Once you're sure, I recommend cutting the cord quickly and cleanly.  You can talk through your uncertainty here, but for me it would have been better to be firm with my company much earlier.  I think @sol had a "FIRE Failure" thread a few months ago that had something similar. 
Or maybe I'm mis-reading your post. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2533 on: June 14, 2019, 05:31:13 AM »
Well, I just finished drafting my resignation letter, so I guess I'm part of the club!

Welcome @Home Stretch!  Got you added to the list.  You are joining a few other 30-ish year old FIRE-ees here in the cohort -- well done.  What's your plan for after?

God you updated to August 9 @jfer_rose!  Congrats on firming up the plans.  It can get nerve wracking at the end; just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

And we're waiting for news from these 4 folks to see if we can mark them confirmed:

06/12/19     @tooqk4u22

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2534 on: June 14, 2019, 06:28:59 AM »

Can you not recline those business trips, because of that cat?  The worst thing your boss could do is fire you...

Home Stretch

• Stubble
« Reply #2535 on: June 14, 2019, 06:52:23 AM »
Welcome @Home Stretch!  Got you added to the list.  You are joining a few other 30-ish year old FIRE-ees here in the cohort -- well done.  What's your plan for after?

Thanks @Trifele! When you say "the list" - I saw a list posted a few pages back in this thread, but it is also maintained elsewhere? Might be nice to have it in your signature as a read-only Google doc so that people can quickly reference it.

As far as my plans for after? Well, I've been working almost non-stop since the age of 19, so I'm going to take a well-deserved break. Time to lose the 20 pounds of desk weight that I've been carrying around for the past few years. Also on the near-term list:
  • Spend 1-3 days per week tackling the house maintenance/upgrade projects that I've been putting off for several years.
  • I'm teaching myself Espańol with Duolingo. I'm already a little proficient, but I want to reach 75% fluency so I can spend more time in Mexico and Central/South America in the next few years
  • Buying a Craigslist 88-key keyboard and teaching myself piano. I took lessons when I was very young, and I've never made any attempt to become decent with any instrument since
  • I am connected to the local start-up community, and I am pretty confident that I'll get sucked into some type of "work" within the next few years, but I will only pursue something that is just too interesting for me to avoid

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2536 on: June 14, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
Those are some great plans @Home Stretch

Yeah, the list -- It's the confirmed FIREs that occur, and everyone else's projected FIRE date.  We post it up at least once per page.  It's gotten big.  As a cohort we've had discussions about how to manage it.  Most recently, it was getting in the way of our conversations, so the consensus was to only repost it when we had a confirmed FIRE.  It's getting buried a bit now since it's been more than a week, so if we don't hear something very soon from our pending folks for today, I'll pull it forward.  :)   The most recent one is on the prior page.

Interesting idea about the Google doc.  I assume I'd need a Google account to do that? 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2537 on: June 14, 2019, 11:35:23 AM »
I'm in limbo now! Can't say much more than that.

Please move my date TBD!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2538 on: June 14, 2019, 12:39:43 PM »
07/03/19     Miss Piggy

I am confirmed. Gave notice. May stay on for some part-time/consulting hours, but my time in the FTE world is almost over.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2539 on: June 14, 2019, 01:10:18 PM »
07/03/19     Miss Piggy

I am confirmed. Gave notice. May stay on for some part-time/consulting hours, but my time in the FTE world is almost over.

That's awesome!  Congrats!  Do you want to call it now, or wait until your last FT day?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2540 on: June 14, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
Congratulations @Dibdab and @tooqk4u22 !!!!

Next week we have on deck: @RichMoose, @waffles, @Parizade and @okonumiyaki .   Your day is almost here!!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)          CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)           CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                  CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse             CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash (48)              CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)             CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)        CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                   CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)                CONFIRMED       
03/18/19     chasesfish (36)             CONFIRMED
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)       CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)              CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)                  CONFIRMED
04/01/19     Ryder (39)                    CONFIRMED
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)          CONFIRMED
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)      CONFIRMED SWAMI
04/06/19     Caroline PF                    CONFIRMED SEMI-FIRE
04/07/19     BTDRetire (64)              CONFIRMED 
04/19/19     Eric (42)                       CONFIRMED
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)           CONFIRMED
05/02/19     couponvan                    CONFIRMED
05/14/19     anonprof                       CONFIRMED
05/16/19     dude (53)                      CONFIRMED
05/17/19     MaybeBabyMustache      CONFIRMED SABBATICAL                   
05/24/19     Prairie Stash (38)           CONFIRMED
05/30/19     Livingthedream55 (59)   CONFIRMED
05/30/19     MoMan  (54)                  CONFIRMED
05/31/19     Odiedog859  (62)           CONFIRMED
06/10/19     tooqk4u22                     CONFIRMED             
06/14/19     Dibdab (56)                   CONFIRMED
06/18/19     RichMoose (29)
06/19/19     Waffles  (52)
06/20/19     Parizade  (62)
06/21/19     Okonumiyaki (49)
06/21/19     Home Stretch (31)
06/30/19     SHO (37)
06/30/19     snowdog (57)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/05/19     5OClocksomewhere
07/08/19     Batljunk
07/08/19     Mathieu
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/??/19     Omy
08/01/19     SugarMountain
08/09/19     Jfer_rose (41)
08/31/19     Gerard
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/13/19     dayzero
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
10/01/19    SnakesInTheGrass (55)
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     JumboShrimp
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)
Edgema
Gerardc  (35)
Pylortes  (42)
SamIAm38  (30)
DreamFire
2Birds1Stone  (32)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma
exit2019  (40)
powersuitrecall  (47)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:31:37 PM by Trifele »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #2541 on: June 14, 2019, 01:47:05 PM »
Darn you RichMoose, you've stolen the crown for youngest, and firstest.

Dibdab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://bryanspicures.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #2542 on: June 14, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
You can confirm me.
At quitting time, turned in my uniforms and door card. I told boss I was giving 2 week notice of quitting.  He laughed and says, "oh so your going on 2 week vacation and giving notice." We high fived and wished each other luck.   Glad my "career" of 35 years is in the rear view mirror.  Can't forget it fast enough really, especially the last 11 years.  Can't thank my younger self enough for being frugal and investing then so I don't have to quit later than now because I got carpal tunnel or whatever, as opposed now because I'm FI.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2543 on: June 14, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »
Congratulations Dibdab, sounds like your boss was pretty cool about your vacation-notice, I'm glad for you.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2544 on: June 14, 2019, 07:48:56 PM »
Congrats @Dibdab!!!

Got you CONFIRMED above.

okonumiyaki

• Stubble
« Reply #2545 on: June 14, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »

God you updated to August 9 @jfer_rose!  Congrats on firming up the plans.  It can get nerve wracking at the end; just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

And we're waiting for news from these 4 folks to see if we can mark them confirmed:

06/12/19     @tooqk4u22

Last day at office 21Jun - last official day of employment 30Jun.  Plans for next 12 months agreed with partner...

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #2546 on: June 15, 2019, 08:50:11 AM »

I only have 5 work shifts left! My actual last day of work is June 19, technically retiring on June 29. There have been some comments on how happy I seem about it!
It must be bizarre spending your last weekend as an employed person.  Somehow, the Sunday night stress won't be so stressful when it's the last working week of your life!  Congrats.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2547 on: June 15, 2019, 07:24:28 PM »
Last day at office 21Jun - last official day of employment 30Jun.  Plans for next 12 months agreed with partner...

Excellent!  Thanks for the check in @okonumiyaki.  Got you updated^.  You and @Parizade have only 5 days to go!!!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2548 on: June 15, 2019, 07:53:12 PM »

Excellent!  Thanks for the check in @okonumiyaki.  Got you updated^.  You and @Parizade have only 5 days to go!!!

June 21 is my official last day, but I'm turning in my badge and computer on June 20 just before my office retirement party.

What keeps going through my head these days is a childhood memory of letting the cow out of the barn in spring. Winters are so cold here cows need to be kept inside all winter so when it's finally warm enough to let them out again they go a little bonkers (look up Spring Cow Dance on youtube for examples). I'm feeling like a cow whose been in the barn all winter, it's time to open that door and let me out.

waffles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2549 on: June 15, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »

It must be bizarre spending your last weekend as an employed person.  Somehow, the Sunday night stress won't be so stressful when it's the last working week of your life!  Congrats.

It is still kind of unreal actually! I think the first Monday AFTER retirement it may start to sink in.

It doesn't seem too common anymore for employees to keep the same job for so long, but I have essentially done the same job, at the same workplace, for 27 years. There have been equipment changes, and co-worker changes, but the basic job has been the same. While I still have some trepidation over giving up the regular paycheck, there is no doubt in my mind it is time for me to be done with this job.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!