Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793060 times)

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2450 on: May 24, 2019, 08:53:25 AM »
Thank you @Trifele

Today is my last day, 15 years of memories are flooding back. I'm a little sad they didn't meet my contract price to stay on a bit longer, it would have been a slower release. Now that the day is here I feel out of sorts. I spent an hour last night cleaning paper files, I started when paper files were a big thing, it was cool seeing some of the fun stuff I did over the years; I had forgotten some of it so it all came flooding back.

In the last couple weeks I've received some nice accolades from my clients, I never realized people took much note of me. Hearing what people thought of me and having people go out of their way was humbling. At work I was fairly burnt out and getting all this positive feedback is really nice, in a weird way if I had known what people thought a year or two ago I probably would have stayed on longer, a lot of my reasons for leaving were morale issues (having a stash was my stress relief).

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2451 on: May 24, 2019, 08:57:55 AM »
I love the Wizard of Oz analogy -- so many of us stay locked in too long to jobs we don't love doing any more, but once we step into FIRE and pull back that curtain we see that all the doom and awe and fear we had of the Wizard (status, or money or whatever is keeping us from taking action) was just some small timid part of ourselves pulling frantically on some cleverly hidden levers.

Well said @lhamo

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2452 on: May 24, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »

Today is my last day, 15 years of memories are flooding back. I'm a little sad they didn't meet my contract price to stay on a bit longer, it would have been a slower release. Now that the day is here I feel out of sorts. I spent an hour last night cleaning paper files, I started when paper files were a big thing, it was cool seeing some of the fun stuff I did over the years; I had forgotten some of it so it all came flooding back.

In the last couple weeks I've received some nice accolades from my clients, I never realized people took much note of me. Hearing what people thought of me and having people go out of their way was humbling. At work I was fairly burnt out and getting all this positive feedback is really nice, in a weird way if I had known what people thought a year or two ago I probably would have stayed on longer, a lot of my reasons for leaving were morale issues (having a stash was my stress relief).

I'm glad your last day was a good one and that you are leaving knowing you were appreciated.  :).  Good workers are hard to find.

@tooqk4u22 that is so strange.  I was thinking they would find something since they are the ones that brought it up.  :P

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2453 on: May 24, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS @Prairie Stash!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)          CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)           CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                  CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse             CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash (48)              CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)             CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)        CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                   CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)                CONFIRMED       
03/18/19     chasesfish (36)             CONFIRMED
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)       CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)              CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)                  CONFIRMED
04/01/19     Ryder (39)                    CONFIRMED
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)          CONFIRMED
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)      CONFIRMED SWAMI
04/06/19     Caroline PF                    CONFIRMED SEMI-FIRE
04/07/19     BTDRetire (64)              CONFIRMED 
04/19/19     Eric (42)                       CONFIRMED
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)           CONFIRMED
05/02/19     couponvan                    CONFIRMED
05/14/19     anonprof                       CONFIRMED
05/16/19     dude (53)                     CONFIRMED
05/17/19     MaybeBabyMustache      CONFIRMED SABBATICAL                   
05/24/19     Prairie Stash (38)          CONFIRMED
05/30/19     Livingthedream55 (59)
05/31/19     Odiedog859  (62)                 
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (30)
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/14/19     Dibdab (56)
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/29/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     SHO (37)
06/30/19     snowdog (57)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/08/19     Batljunk
07/08/19     Mathieu
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
08/30/19     MoMan  (55)
08/31/19     Gerard
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/13/19     dayzero
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     JumboShrimp
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)
Edgema
Jfer_rose (41)
Gerardc  (35)
tooqk4u22
Pylortes  (42) 

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma
exit2019  (40)
powersuitrecall  (47)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:24:55 AM by Trifele »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2454 on: May 25, 2019, 07:32:12 AM »
Damn, but it's good to see all those folks on the confirmed list!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2455 on: May 25, 2019, 07:15:05 PM »

HAHAHA!  That was my retirement quote!  DH even cross stitched it for me and I put it our the door of our adventure planning room!!!  He even did the A Team A :).

It goes on the door with our Dr Bashir Quote, "manufactured triumph" that he etched into the wood.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2456 on: May 26, 2019, 11:29:38 AM »
Talk of shutting our office, or not continues. All rather exhausting. It’s still 50/50.

As expected my employer is looking to do right by me and find something for me elsewhere.

Last week they asked if I would relocate to the US.

The proposed position has some appeal, but doesnt work for DW (lots of red tape in the US it seems).

FIREing in December remains the most likely scenario, but I am resisting giving the game away to colleagues just in case I can get a severance, or if by some fluke chance an awesome job comes up (but I really can’t imagine what that would look like though).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2457 on: May 27, 2019, 12:41:28 PM »
Big group potentially ready to burst into flames this week:

-- @Odiedog859 who I think just did a long backpacking trip to burn up his last PTO.  (nice)

-- @Livingthedream55 who can't wait to go "work optional."  Woo!

-- @Dibdab is in the final planning stages, working to get on the Exchange and sell his house.

-- And @SamIAm38 was a May maybe, evaluating a job offer that could turn skinny FIRE to chubby.

How are you all doing?

Dibdab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://bryanspicures.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #2458 on: May 27, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »
Hello all.  Yes that is right, I am in the final stages.
  Thanks so much you guys for advice on signing up for Obamacare which I have set to kick in July 1. With subsidy, the monthly premium for a high deductible silver plan is $134.
  The plan as it stands now is my house sale would close June 12 according to an accepted offer and I will work two days after closing.  I have vacation approved for the last two weeks of June, so I plan on giving my boss the obligatory 2 week notice of termination right before I leave on the last day.  That way I don't have to explain I'm retiring to everybody.   
  Unfortunately there is a catch:  I am not at all sure my sale will go through because the house buyer is trying to get a USDA direct loan that has all kinds of opaque requirements and these were not spelled out in the offer and every week I am asked to complete some repair or update. For instance, replace a perfectly fine water heater because it might fail in five years due to its age. I would repair these things myself but the Feds want only licensed contractors and logistics of getting the contractors here within required time frame, with copies of invoices and the miscommunications between Feds and realtors is proving comical and maddening.  Buyers has a zero money down 33 year loan at 3.25% interest which makes me think it's too good to be true also although I assume PMI would be required.
  So, I am trying to preparing myself psychologically for huge disappointment on the home sale and to work a few more months until house sells finally.  My next step after June 12 was gonna be to move into a two flat apartment building I own and start renovating it.  If my house  fails to sell as I anticipate I will unfortunately probably cash in some old, rather high paying I-bonds in order to start renovating before I move to the apartment.  So it wouldn't be 100% terrible, since I wouldn't have to live inside a demolition and construction zone when I retire.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2459 on: May 27, 2019, 02:41:37 PM »
Great update @Dibdab.  I'll update your tentative last day to June 14.  Fingers crossed for your house to sell.     

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2460 on: May 27, 2019, 07:25:49 PM »
  Thanks so much you guys for advice on signing up for Obamacare which I have set to kick in July 1. With subsidy, the monthly premium for a high deductible silver plan is $134.
  The plan as it stands now is my house sale would close June 12 according to an accepted offer and I will work two days after closing.  I have vacation approved for the last two weeks of June, so I plan on giving my boss the obligatory 2 week notice of termination right before I leave on the last day.  That way I don't have to explain I'm retiring to everybody.   
  Unfortunately there is a catch:  I am not at all sure my sale will go through because the house buyer is trying to get a USDA direct loan that has all kinds of opaque requirements and these were not spelled out in the offer and every week I am asked to complete some repair or update. For instance, replace a perfectly fine water heater because it might fail in five years due to its age. I would repair these things myself but the Feds want only licensed contractors and logistics of getting the contractors here within required time frame, with copies of invoices and the miscommunications between Feds and realtors is proving comical and maddening.  Buyers has a zero money down 33 year loan at 3.25% interest which makes me think it's too good to be true also although I assume PMI would be required.
  So, I am trying to preparing myself psychologically for huge disappointment on the home sale and to work a few more months until house sells finally.  My next step after June 12 was gonna be to move into a two flat apartment building I own and start renovating it.  If my house  fails to sell as I anticipate I will unfortunately probably cash in some old, rather high paying I-bonds in order to start renovating before I move to the apartment.  So it wouldn't be 100% terrible, since I wouldn't have to live inside a demolition and construction zone when I retire.

Whoa, that has to be nerve racking.  I hope the sell goes through, and I am really glad you have a plan B in place just in case.  Smart thinking!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2461 on: May 27, 2019, 11:57:19 PM »

I think you should start looking around for another buyer, because this sounds very uncertain and very demanding. If you recline this offer, do you think you could find another buyer without all these expensive demands?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2462 on: May 28, 2019, 05:24:11 AM »

-- @Odiedog859 who I think just did a long backpacking trip to burn up his last PTO.  (nice)

-- @Dibdab is in the final planning stages, working to get on the Exchange and sell his house.

-- And @SamIAm38 was a May maybe, evaluating a job offer that could turn skinny FIRE to chubby.

How are you all doing?

Dibdab has bumped his date out a couple weeks.  @Odiedog859, @Livingthedream55, and @SamIAm38 -- any update? 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2463 on: May 28, 2019, 06:31:10 AM »
@Dibdab - It'll probably work out, but the home sale process is so frustrating.  Don't be afraid to renegotiate the price in your deal and say "with all due respect, the price we agreed to was for a used house.  If they want everything new, it does cost more"

Our saga involves five offers from four buyers in the span of thirty days.  Didn't get to a contract on opening weekend,  then we had to terminate on Sunday because buyer kept wanting inspection after inspection.  They wouldn't give us a number on what they already had and dropped a request for a mold inspection on a 63year old house on us a day before the option period ran out.  The lot is worth 85% of the purchase price, I'm just not opening up that line of inspection. 

We had another offer in hand and gave those folks all the inspections and the final number we had gotten to and they signed.  They agreed and we are starting a new option period.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2464 on: May 28, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »

How are you all doing?

Dibdab has bumped his date out a couple weeks.  @Odiedog859, @Livingthedream55, and @SamIAm38 -- any update?

Thanks @Trifele for doing such a wonderful job facilitating our cohort - you really help develop community here! 

My last day is Thursday as I'm taking a road trip with family on Friday. There will be a small send off tomorrow (a cake, a few well wishes) at work. Lots of coworkers are stopping by my desk to say they are excited for me and envious for themselves (one sad exception was a man with significant health issues who I would estimate to be in his mid 60's to late 60's who said he couldn't afford to retire because of student loans he took out!).

My boss has been a little pouty "I can't believe you're leaving me", "this is not a good time for me to lose you", etc.  so I threw her an offer to maybe come back one day a week in the Fall as a contractor to help with some specific reports that need to be written (which is a task I enjoy) and which I would negotiate to do remotely and at a higher rate than my current salaried rate. So we will see. The ball is completely in her court and no details pinned down.

It's still surreal - I'm excited to get through these last few days. I won't miss my commute (by commuter rail) to the city. I look forward to better self-care and lots more connection with friends and family. It's a good place to be.

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2465 on: May 28, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »
I'm in my last week.  Just for the record, I work in a great place, for a great company, for a great boss and I like my job.  I am very fortunate that I am not bailing out of a sinking ship or escaping a toxic work environment.  So why am I leaving?  There is just more to life than working.  To be transparent, my version of retirement won't be sleeping in everyday or sitting around the coffee shop (not that there is anything wrong with that.)  I'll still be doing on-call fire assignments for wildland fires in the summer and FEMA disaster work (I have a Urban Search and Rescue K9).

Co-workers are starting to come by and ask "Are you really retiring?  That is so cool."  It's a small valley so we'll still see each other around. I did get to have an enjoyable backpacking trip  the first half of May on the AT.  Lots of rain as usual.....  The buffer allowed a quiet last week just wrapping things up and making sure transfer of responsibilities are done.  I get to kick off my first week of retirement going to Indiana with our FEMA team for a mock deployment.  Of course with all the tornado activity, it might turn into the real thing.

My challenge is to not let myself fall into the trap of just sitting around because I can.  I consider calendars to be the enemy but I have a list of things I can fill my time with.  I'll just have the freedom to chose which ones each day :-)

3 and a wake-up.....
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 10:14:24 AM by Odiedog859 »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2466 on: May 29, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »
Exciting items Odiedog. Nicely done.

In my neck of the woods, the expected has happened, and megacorp has offered me a transfer. It’s to the to the US. Philly specifically. I’ve never been to eastern US, just the west coast, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska and Hawaii.

Philly is a long way from home and a long way from FIRE, but I’ll have to  think about the proposal. Could be fun for a couple of years I suppose.

I’ll fly to Megacorp HQ in 3 weeks to discuss. I am still not ready to confess to my true FIRE ambitions to my employer, so are playing along.

I wish I was at 110% and not 90% of my desired stash.... even even a tad more than 110% will be awesome and put to good use.

I have lots of questions about expat life in the US. Im not sure if this forum is a decent place to pose my questions.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2467 on: May 29, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »

In my neck of the woods, the expected has happened, and megacorp has offered me a transfer. It’s to the to the US. Philly specifically. I’ve never been to eastern US, just the west coast, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska and Hawaii.

Philly is a long way from home and a long way from FIRE, but I’ll have to  think about the proposal. Could be fun for a couple of years I suppose.

I’ll fly to Megacorp HQ in 3 weeks to discuss. I am still not ready to confess to my true FIRE ambitions to my employer, so are playing along.

I wish I was at 110% and not 90% of my desired stash.... even even a tad more than 110% will be awesome and put to good use.

I have lots of questions about expat life in the US. Im not sure if this forum is a decent place to pose my questions.
Several members are Euro expats/immigrants @Exflyboy being first to mind.  There must be a thread(s) on relevant subjects somewhere here.

I've only been to Philly 3 to 5 times in my life, even though I grew up about 120 miles away in rural Central PA.
Anti-OMY alert- You do realize, that over the course of FIRE, that your stache is likely to vary by MORE than 10%? Unless your "number" is bare skeleton, you've got lots of wiggle room. FIRE now, FIRE FOREVER.   

However, if someone was to pay me to work overseas again, I might consider it. The per diem and or pay would have to be really good though. Paid repatriation or spousal visit flights would be great too.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2468 on: May 29, 2019, 06:52:49 PM »

Several members are Euro expats/immigrants @Exflyboy being first to mind.  There must be a thread(s) on relevant subjects somewhere here.

I've only been to Philly 3 to 5 times in my life, even though I grew up about 120 miles away in rural Central PA.
Anti-OMY alert- You do realize, that over the course of FIRE, that your stache is likely to vary by MORE than 10%? Unless your "number" is bare skeleton, you've got lots of wiggle room. FIRE now, FIRE FOREVER.   

However, if someone was to pay me to work overseas again, I might consider it. The per diem and or pay would have to be really good though. Paid repatriation or spousal visit flights would be great too.

@itchyfeet yes there are a number of us here. @UnleashHell is another Expat Brit.

I have to say that as an engineer at least the transfer to the US was the best thing ever.. My salary doubled but even more importantly I was given professional respect. In the UK everybody and their dog calls themselves engineers and if you use the word "engineer" in the UK people assume your a car mechanic.. It drives me up the stinking wall to be honest!

Not that there is anything wrong with being a mechanic or any kind of technical worker.. I have worked with superb technicians during my career, but they do a different job. They are not engineers and I'm not a technician!

Just like nurses are not doctors and vice versa.

Anyway I digress.. I don't know anything about the East Coast but I do know there is nothing on Earth like the US economy and the cost of living is generally lower than the UK/Europe.

In the West there are vast expanses of wilderness.. Heck even my modest house is on 5.5 acres.. Same amount of money would buy you a postage stamp in the UK.

I honestly owe my FIRE to living in the US.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2469 on: May 29, 2019, 08:48:30 PM »
Thanks for the comments

I’d have no intention of staying in the US long term. It would just be a couple of years. We look forward to the day we return to Australia.

If we went to the US my company would pay my rent, so it would be an ok deal financially. Maybe not as good as my current deal in The UAE (due to no tax), but still better than anything I would ever have earned back in Oz....

But it is true that any money we earn from now is just for luxuries. So i would be a OMY victim/ perpetrator.

For me to the US for a few years is just taking the opportunity to add a further life experience, amd a few extra $ in the bank as a side effect is not the worst thing in the world.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2470 on: May 30, 2019, 12:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the comments

I’d have no intention of staying in the US long term. It would just be a couple of years. We look forward to the day we return to Australia.

If we went to the US my company would pay my rent, so it would be an ok deal financially. Maybe not as good as my current deal in The UAE (due to no tax), but still better than anything I would ever have earned back in Oz....

But it is true that any money we earn from now is just for luxuries. So i would be a OMY victim/ perpetrator.

For me to the US for a few years is just taking the opportunity to add a further life experience, amd a few extra $ in the bank as a side effect is not the worst thing in the world.

Then maybe you could do it for just another year, but not everal years. Then you get the new experience and some mote cash.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2471 on: May 30, 2019, 03:34:06 AM »

HAHAHA!  That was my retirement quote!  DH even cross stitched it for me and I put it our the door of our adventure planning room!!!  He even did the A Team A :).

This is fabulous!  I picture a world map covering one entire wall with strings pinned in it here and there, lockers full of exotic gear for things like wingsuit gliding, and a bank of computers for checking weather and flight schedules . . .

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #2472 on: May 30, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
I guess you can add my name to the Confirmed list. I gave my manager a verbal 4-month notice on April 30th. The responses from colleagues has been disappointingly muted, but I suppose they all see me carting my lunch bag every day, and I'm certain they have come to expect my redundant, utilitarian wardrobe. If I were to show up in a new shirt, the rumors would start to fly: "Hey, what the hell's up with MoMan?"

Also, Trifele -- Next list update, could you please change my age to 54? My original plan was to retire immediately after my b-day but screw that! 92 calendar days to go.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2473 on: May 30, 2019, 11:03:18 AM »

This is fabulous!  I picture a world map covering one entire wall with strings pinned in it here and there, lockers full of exotic gear for things like wingsuit gliding, and a bank of computers for checking weather and flight schedules . . .

Actually it is a wall sized map of the US (as DH doesn't fly so most of our together travels are in the US).  It is being filled with pins of various colors to denote things we do all over.  The other wall is covered with 4 years of future wall calendars for planning. Computer, memorabilia, etc.  :D. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2474 on: May 30, 2019, 11:20:23 AM »

Actually it is a wall sized map of the US (as DH doesn't fly so most of our together travels are in the US).  It is being filled with pins of various colors to denote things we do all over.  The other wall is covered with 4 years of future wall calendars for planning. Computer, memorabilia, etc.  :D.

Four those travelers who don't have a big wall, take a picture for your desktop/ home page from http://www.gcmap.com/mapui

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2475 on: May 30, 2019, 12:48:47 PM »
CONGRATS @Livingthedream55!  Have a wonderful road trip!

CONGRATS @MoMan!  It's going to be one fine summer.

2019 FIRE Cohort:

05/16/19     dude (53)                      CONFIRMED
05/24/19     Prairie Stash (38)           CONFIRMED
05/30/19     Livingthedream55 (59)   CONFIRMED
05/30/19     MoMan  (54)                  CONFIRMED
05/31/19     Odiedog859  (62)                 
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (30)
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/14/19     Dibdab (56)
06/29/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     SHO (37)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/08/19     Batljunk
07/08/19     Mathieu
08/31/19     Gerard
09/13/19     dayzero
10/??/19     JumboShrimp
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)
Edgema
Jfer_rose (41)
Gerardc  (35)
tooqk4u22
Pylortes  (42) 

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma
exit2019  (40)
powersuitrecall  (47)

OLY

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2476 on: May 30, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »

Four those travelers who don't have a big wall, take a picture for your desktop/ home page from http://www.gcmap.com/mapui

You and your fancy technology ;).

Also CONGRATS @Livingthedream55 and @MoMan.  Thanks for keeping us informed.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2477 on: May 30, 2019, 06:19:51 PM »
Congratulations @livingthedream enjoy the open road!

hang in there @MoMan

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2478 on: May 30, 2019, 07:35:01 PM »

You and your fancy technology ;).

Also CONGRATS @Livingthedream55 and @MoMan.  Thanks for keeping us informed.

Unfortunately, the fancy technology is aided by old-school memory of airport codes.
At one time, electronic departure screens (CRT) only had room for the three letter codes, which may or may not hint at the airport city name. MDT is obviously Harrisburg PA, right?  CDG and CVG are NOT the same place.

Congratulations to recent graduates!!!  And to all of the rest of you, come on in!

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2479 on: May 31, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »
I'm out of here!  Well, I'll  stop by here once in a while but shutting down the computer, password updating complete :-)  Had a nice low key breakfast get together with the rest of the department.

What to do first....Oh, that's already decided......

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2480 on: May 31, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »
YEAH @Odiedog859!  Congratulations and wishing you much happiness!  Thank you for fighting forest fires and helping FEMA. 

@SamIAm38 moved to TBD til we hear back.

2019 FIRE Cohort:

05/16/19     dude (53)                      CONFIRMED
05/24/19     Prairie Stash (38)           CONFIRMED
05/30/19     Livingthedream55 (59)   CONFIRMED
05/30/19     MoMan  (54)                  CONFIRMED
05/31/19     Odiedog859  (62)           CONFIRMED               
06/12/19     tooqk4u22
06/14/19     Dibdab (56)
06/18/19     RichMoose (29)
06/19/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     SHO (37)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Home Stretch
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/05/19     5OClocksomewhere
07/08/19     Batljunk
07/08/19     Mathieu
07/??/19     Omy
08/09/19     Jfer_rose (41)
08/31/19     Gerard
09/13/19     dayzero
10/01/19    SnakesInTheGrass (55)
10/??/19     JumboShrimp
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)
Edgema
Gerardc  (35)
Pylortes  (42)
SamIAm38  (30)
DreamFire 

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma
exit2019  (40)
powersuitrecall  (47)

OLY
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:11:25 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2481 on: May 31, 2019, 06:28:26 PM »
I'm out of here!  Well, I'll  stop by here once in a while but shutting down the computer, password updating complete :-)  Had a nice low key breakfast get together with the rest of the department.

What to do first....Oh, that's already decided......

BYE!!  Thanks for playing!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2482 on: June 01, 2019, 05:54:06 AM »
And just like that, JUNE IS HERE!   Can you believe it?

How are you doing, June folks??  Just a few days left!  :)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2483 on: June 01, 2019, 06:38:10 AM »
And just like that, JUNE IS HERE!   Can you believe it?

How are you doing, June folks??  Just a few days left!  :)

The days are flying by now. I will give official notice next Friday and turn in my computer 2 weeks later.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2484 on: June 04, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »
Last day is June 12th.   Always nice to leave after a down month for the markets, I am sure there is more to come - oh well, I will be enjoying my summer.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2485 on: June 04, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »
It is hard to believe, but I'm past my 1year FIREanniversary (FIREversary?)
It's been fun, especially when not looking at the markets.

AND I'm over 1000 posts on the forum.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2486 on: June 04, 2019, 01:30:38 PM »
Last day is June 12th.   Always nice to leave after a down month for the markets, I am sure there is more to come - oh well, I will be enjoying my summer.

Congrats on setting the date @tooqk4u22!  Got you added above for next week. ^  (No worries about the down market; if I recall your numbers correctly you were at 100% on cfiresim.  The calculators take into account the ups and downs of the markets.)  Yes!  It will be a mega-fine summer.  :)

And congrats on your milestones @markbike528CBX!   How has your first FIRE year been?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2487 on: June 04, 2019, 02:36:23 PM »

Congrats on setting the date @tooqk4u22!  Got you added above for next week. ^  (No worries about the down market; if I recall your numbers correctly you were at 100% on cfiresim.  The calculators take into account the ups and downs of the markets.)  Yes!  It will be a mega-fine summer.  :)

And congrats on your milestones @markbike528CBX!   How has your first FIRE year been?

It has gone faster than I expected.
What I expected to do, reading and motorcycling , I did less of. Some of the lower reading is due to all of you interesting people on this forum :-). 
A bucket list item checked off: see my favorite band in a place I wouldn't otherwise go, Mudhoney, Zagreb Croatia. On my birthday just made it cooler.

GO 2019 Cohort!!

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2488 on: June 04, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »
I've been reluctant to join this thread because I've been "one more year"-ing for at least 5 years. But DH has given notice to his management that he is retiring in July...and I am wrapping up what may be my final transaction this month. So feel free to add me to the July list!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2489 on: June 04, 2019, 03:53:11 PM »
I've been reluctant to join this thread because I've been "one more year"-ing for at least 5 years. But DH has given notice to his management that he is retiring in July...and I am wrapping up what may be my final transaction this month. So feel free to add me to the July list!

Yay @Omy!!  Welcome and come on in!  Will you change your username now?  :)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2490 on: June 04, 2019, 04:16:17 PM »

Welcome and welcome.  And congrats on finally throwing off the OMY handcuffs of obligation!!

Woo hoo!!

@markbike528CBX those are some impressive milestones.  I can't imagine what you have planned for the next year.  Maybe 2000 posts??

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2491 on: June 04, 2019, 10:18:01 PM »
Welcome OMY, might have to mod your name to "forum member formerly known as OMY".
I had been following your self-titled thread.

Loren Ver, not that many posts, it has taken me 4 years to make 1000.
I'll settle for keeping my posting rate at 0.666 for non- religious reasons.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2492 on: June 04, 2019, 11:00:40 PM »
Welcome @Omy! And congrats on the handlebar mustache @markbike528CBX

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2493 on: June 05, 2019, 12:41:31 AM »

Congrats! You have made a big step mentally.

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2494 on: June 05, 2019, 07:50:31 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome! I woke up early with a slight tinge of panic about this becoming real relatively quickly. We have planned and (over) saved for years before I had even heard of MMM, but turning off the cash fire hose is still a bit daunting. The articles, calculators, and encouragement of forum members have helped me realize that it is time.

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #2495 on: June 05, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
I'm finally tossing my name into this thread. For a sort-of FI/RE. (Maybe coast FI/RE, or maybe semi-FI/RE.)

Yesterday I gave my work notice that I am leaving. Last day is likely going to be June 18. I'll be ending my life as a holder of a full-time job after about 9 years. I work in law enforcement so the golden handcuffs of pensions and benefits are enticing, but the strong hierarchical work structure and forever growing layers of policy are not.

I am not a porch hound so I can see myself starting a business or freelancing in the future. I don't think I'll ever work a 9-5 permanent full-time gig again. I wouldn't consider myself totally FI and also not in the right mindset to RE. My wife will continue to work full-time for the time being. (She really loves her career field and will probably work, at least part-time, until she's well into more traditional retirement years).

Our 'stache is reasonably big considering I'm 29, my wife is 27 and we both work public service jobs. It should cover most of our expenses, certainly the core expenses. That gives us a substantial amount of financial freedom. Especially where we are going to start our adventure.

This summer we will be starting the next phase of our lives, leaving the winter city of Edmonton for much warmer Hanoi. Our plan is to live there for a few years and travel around Eastern Asia. My wife (a teacher) has a job lined up at an American school in the city. After that, who knows where life will take us.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2496 on: June 05, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »
Wow!! That's an amazing story. See you in Hanoi/SE Asia in fall/winter 2020!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
« Reply #2497 on: June 05, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
Wow!! That's an amazing story. See you in Hanoi/SE Asia in fall/winter 2020!!

Quickly scanned your journal, looks like you've got some amazing travel plans yourself. When you get to Hanoi, definitely send a PM!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2498 on: June 05, 2019, 12:04:53 PM »
Welcome @RichMoose!  Got you added above ^.  Well done to get this far so young.  Some really exciting plans you have!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2499 on: June 05, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »
Congrats Moose-like person!

At 29 and 27, you're like me, there's no downside to retiring now, since you could easily go back, and you have decades of time to cover off issues, by making tiny incremental changes to either income, returns, or simply consuming less. Nice pension Payouts?