Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793066 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2350 on: May 03, 2019, 07:43:22 AM »
As for me, today was rug cleaning day. 

Love this.  One great aspect of FIRE is that you have the time to do things that get put off when you're working.  It is deeply satisfying. 

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2351 on: May 03, 2019, 07:44:05 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I too have been planting the past two days.  We're closing on a new construction build in under two weeks, and the builder is letting me into the yard early to get some plants into the back and customize the layout more.  (Lest you all think he's overly generous, they were supposed to be done April 15th.) A nursery is having a sale today, and I want to get a bloodgood Japanese maple for the back yard - and maybe some other trees as well if they are affordable.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2352 on: May 03, 2019, 06:24:24 PM »
This is too funny.  I starting trying to learn to juggle yesterday.  I came across three foil balls DH had made while at work.  He would eat the candy and then add the foil onto a ball, for all 7 years that he worked there.  When the ball got too big to easily add more foil he would make a new one.  Turns our they are a good juggling size for me.  And they sum up the last 7 years at his last company before FIRE.

If you're learning, make sure you're working on a Cascade, not a Shower.  Most people think of a Shower when they think of juggling, but a Shower is much more difficult to learn and perfect than a Cascade, and the Cascade is the basic pattern that can be the starting point for more tricks, if you're interested. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toss_juggling#Shower

Thank you for the link.  I know very little about juggling, but it looks like I am learning a cascade.  :D.

Welcome @couponvan!  I'm sorry for the why you retired but I am really really glad you put yourself in a position to optimize what you could.  Good on you for having a plan!

@Trifele that sounds lovely! 

LV

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2353 on: May 06, 2019, 07:44:59 AM »
I took last week off to burn up remaining vacation time, this morning it's back to work and every fiber of my being is saying "no, just no." Taking a week off made me realize how exhausted and burned out I am.

I am now 46 days out from official FIRE but I think mentally I'm retiring today. I've been working very hard training my replacement and helping her set up an employee enrichment program which I've enjoyed. But after a week off I have to say my enthusiasm is gone. From this point on I will coast, doing as little as possible to keep up and do right by my replacement.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2354 on: May 06, 2019, 08:09:46 AM »
I took last week off to burn up remaining vacation time, this morning it's back to work and every fiber of my being is saying "no, just no." Taking a week off made me realize how exhausted and burned out I am.

I am now 46 days out from official FIRE but I think mentally I'm retiring today. I've been working very hard training my replacement and helping her set up an employee enrichment program which I've enjoyed. But after a week off I have to say my enthusiasm is gone. From this point on I will coast, doing as little as possible to keep up and do right by my replacement.

This is my last week in the office, and I can relate to how you feel. I could, if I really wanted to, bail on this week and be effectively retired right now, but I'm saving one final week of annual leave to get paid for at the end of the month. This Friday will be my last day in the office, other than having to come in for an hour or so the week of May 20-24 to turn in keys, ID, security card, etc. And I am for sure taking at least one day off this week (looks like we'll finally get one day of good weather this week here in the Northeast). So bizarre being down to just 3 days after today. Not sure when the whole "I'll never have to go to work again" thing will hit me; probably not until a week or two after I've retired, I'd imagine.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2355 on: May 06, 2019, 08:20:41 AM »

Congrats on achieving mental-FIRE!  Can you do anything concrete like using more PTO or sick days between now and then? 

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2356 on: May 06, 2019, 08:25:54 AM »

This is my last week in the office, and I can relate to how you feel. I could, if I really wanted to, bail on this week and be effectively retired right now, but I'm saving one final week of annual leave to get paid for at the end of the month. This Friday will be my last day in the office, other than having to come in for an hour or so the week of May 20-24 to turn in keys, ID, security card, etc. And I am for sure taking at least one day off this week (looks like we'll finally get one day of good weather this week here in the Northeast). So bizarre being down to just 3 days after today. Not sure when the whole "I'll never have to go to work again" thing will hit me; probably not until a week or two after I've retired, I'd imagine.

@dude I've been done over a month, and sometimes it still hasn't hit me.  This past week I was sure Thursday was Saturday and so I needed to get things done so I could work Monday.  Then again, yesterday, it hit me that I can finish the things I was working on since I don't have to go to work EVER again.  HA!  So I guess I am still in flux!

@Parizade you are so close!  I am glad you have a replacement to train.  That should make the hand off and leaving easier.  My last vacation before FIRE was really rough.  If I didn't say I was coming back, I wouldn't have, and I had a pretty good job with good coworkers.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2357 on: May 06, 2019, 09:04:55 AM »

Congrats on achieving mental-FIRE!  Can you do anything concrete like using more PTO or sick days between now and then?

I am WFH so my concrete thing is not scheduling any meetings before noon. Mornings will be all mine to drink coffee and sit on the deck or putter around the house doing little projects. I'll do what I have to in the afternoons but no more than the absolute minimum.

@dude, how exciting, congratulations! I will earn a couple more days off and plan to take them immediately upon receipt lol

@Loren Ver, the only thing that keeps me here is that extra $10K I'll net in these last weeks. That will pay for Mexico next winter.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:10:28 AM by Parizade »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2358 on: May 06, 2019, 02:52:22 PM »
@Parizade -- congrats!  Your morning plan sounds wonderful.

@dude -- Wow you are so close!  Do you want to call yourself FIRE this Friday? Or wait til the end of the month?

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2359 on: May 06, 2019, 03:24:17 PM »
I have been working to FIRE like every one else here but have had my share of OMY and changing priorities/expectations As described here and other spots in this very thread, but the decision is anxiety inducing and I really want to avoid another OMY or other reasons not to. 

So maybe posting here in this cohort will make it more official, I must keep my word and all that. 

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2360 on: May 06, 2019, 04:31:32 PM »
I have been working to FIRE like every one else here but have had my share of OMY and changing priorities/expectations As described here and other spots in this very thread, but the decision is anxiety inducing and I really want to avoid another OMY or other reasons not to. 

So maybe posting here in this cohort will make it more official, I must keep my word and all that.

Put a date on it, and we will send you sternly worded PMs telling you to resign or else.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2361 on: May 07, 2019, 03:40:18 AM »

Yep -- Give us a date.  We'll put you on the list @tooqk4u22 and support and cheer you to the finish line.

I read some of your other posts, and it sounds like you know you're there financially.  You're posting here now, so it sounds like you want to FIRE.  So go ahead and take the first step -- name a date.  You can do it.

ETA -- batsignal out to @markbike528CBX -- the best anti-OMY coach around.  :)   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:15:41 AM by Trifele »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2362 on: May 07, 2019, 08:11:45 AM »
Today is my PRD -- that's prison lingo for "projected release date," i.e., my retirement eligibility date. I've had this date tacked up to my credenza at work for at least 6-7 years, maybe longer. Pretty sublime feeling now that it's here. Friday is my last day in the office, May 31 is my official retirement date. But damn for this date to finally get here feels pretty fucking awesome.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2363 on: May 07, 2019, 08:25:02 AM »

@dude -- Wow you are so close!  Do you want to call yourself FIRE this Friday? Or wait til the end of the month?

Ha!  In my mind, Friday is it -- done, kaput, game over!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2364 on: May 07, 2019, 08:36:24 AM »

Yep -- Give us a date.  We'll put you on the list @tooqk4u22 and support and cheer you to the finish line.

I read some of your other posts, and it sounds like you know you're there financially.  You're posting here now, so it sounds like you want to FIRE.  So go ahead and take the first step -- name a date.  You can do it.

ETA -- batsignal out to @markbike528CBX -- the best anti-OMY coach around.  :)

{blushes.....} Thanks Trifele, but if I was that good, everyone in the "2M to 3 M and beyond" thread would be long FIREd.   
In that spirit, I offer from https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/serious-'one-more-year'-syndrome-advice-appreciated/50/  a thread where Omy is the OP..........
Just lost another, sudden heart attack, was in great shape, mid 40’s, avid biker.  Lot’s of money in the bank, so sad.  :( 

I'm sorry to hear that.  Is there a reason you're losing so many friends in their 30s and 40s?

No real reason, cancer, genetics, freak accident, etc.  I know a huge number of people and I guess I am fairly popular as I have friends all over the world in this age group.  I suppose some you could call acquaintances instead of friends, but still sucks.  Not looking forward to getting old enough where this accelerates.

Also, sorry to drag down your thread OMY, that was not my intent. :)

Not at all, RCC. It's the most compelling reason to retire and start enjoying the fruits of our labor.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 01:05:11 PM by markbike528CBX »

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2365 on: May 07, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »

Ha!  In my mind, Friday is it -- done, kaput, game over!

@dude I'm just about 10 days into FIRE and it's even better than I dreamed it would be.  I didn't realize how quickly the stress and worry about work lifted from my shoulders, and I'm a very low-stress person.  My partner, who is one of those hyper-dedicated, always on, constantly ruminating about work types relaxed almost immediately after leaving and has barely thought about work the last week and a half.  You're going to love it!

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2366 on: May 07, 2019, 12:18:12 PM »
I agree, @FIRE 20/20 !  I am a month in and love everyday.  I get comments from people about how relaxed I look.  I really thought I would be posting more once I FIRE'd, but I have been doing all the things that I want to do and have not spent a lot of time online and none with a TV.

It was difficult for me to make this decision to leave work, over a year past when the finances were ok.  I thought I would miss it. My job required 24-7 response and I thought I would want to still be part of the everyday excitement solving the latest problem.  I don't miss it AT ALL.  It really was like a switch.

Very excited for all our cohorts who have made it to their goals and now have the freedom to choose what they want to do with their days!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2367 on: May 09, 2019, 04:19:27 PM »
On deck for FIRE tomorrow we have dude.  How are you doing @dude?  Any big plans for tomorrow night after you leave work?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:37:03 AM by Trifele »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2368 on: May 10, 2019, 06:41:04 AM »
Posting to check in with my cohorts...

3 weeks since I was released from duty, 8 since announcing early retirement.

Still trying to settle down but unlimited vacation time is cool.   Including the time I was employed, I've now gone to Hawaii, DC, Utah, and the Carolinas and its only May 10th.  Getting a better idea of where to move in geographic arbitrage and got a few reminders of just how disposable we are to a company.   

Also, selling a house is a pain in the rear, but its cool to be doing it for the first time without outside forces (a job) pushing me.  Its also an awkward feeling to actually be able to pick where we live.  1st world problems!

SHO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2369 on: May 12, 2019, 08:13:00 PM »
Hi there, sent my notice a few weeks ago leaving the rat race next month. My wife and I will be relocating back to our home city. We are both 37 yo and are FI, wife was always a stay at home, we were expats for a while relocating to different countries. Today our montly budget spend is just above 2k though bring in twice that from investments so we should have a safety margin there on top of an eraly pension that will kick in 18 years from now (once I am 55),  house is paid for, and not included in our budget is travel which we like to do, not so much lately as it gets compmicated with 3 kids (todlers).

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2370 on: May 13, 2019, 01:56:44 AM »
Also, selling a house is a pain in the rear, but its cool to be doing it for the first time without outside forces (a job) pushing me.  Its also an awkward feeling to actually be able to pick where we live.  1st world problems!

Selling the house is always a pain. Just putting it is pristine condition, styled as a lifestyle magazine, is an enormous effort. Especially if you still live in it. And you are probably like us in the situation that you want to receive a certain minimum sum for it, to meet your expected retirement numbers. At least you don't need to do it beside having a job.

We will be in that situation in about half a year. And we also still have to figure out where we are going to live... We will rent first, but I hope this will not lead to an endless life of renting on various places and never settling.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2371 on: May 13, 2019, 03:13:51 AM »
Welcome to the group @SHO!  Well done on reaching FI so young, and with three little ones to boot.  Outstanding. 

Waiting for confirmation from @dude that his last day was Friday.  I have a feeling he may still be sleeping off the epic weekend haha.

On deck this week we have @MaybeBabyMustache, who is waving bye bye to her job and heading off on sabbatical.  What are your plans for the free time?   

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2372 on: May 13, 2019, 05:14:45 AM »

Selling the house is always a pain. Just putting it is pristine condition, styled as a lifestyle magazine, is an enormous effort. Especially if you still live in it. And you are probably like us in the situation that you want to receive a certain minimum sum for it, to meet your expected retirement numbers. At least you don't need to do it beside having a job.

We will be in that situation in about half a year. And we also still have to figure out where we are going to live... We will rent first, but I hope this will not lead to an endless life of renting on various places and never settling.

Agree with everything above.   We're about $120,000 above our walk away number, so its not a *need* as much as a balance of not doing something stupid out or urgency.  The current house costs $1,000 to $1,750/mo more than our replacement, which hurts.  However we don't want to take $40,000 less to move it faster than average days on market, which is 60 days for my type of home.   Three offers out of the gate (two that were decent prices), didn't come to an agreement with the one we picked and now its been pretty quiet for two weekend.  Showings but not offers

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2373 on: May 13, 2019, 05:41:09 AM »

I don't envy you selling a house, I hope all that is behind me forever! The rest sounds lovely, I'm glad you are enjoying yourself @chasefish

Hi there, sent my notice a few weeks ago leaving the rat race next month. My wife and I will be relocating back to our home city. We are both 37 yo and are FI, wife was always a stay at home, we were expats for a while relocating to different countries. Today our montly budget spend is just above 2k though bring in twice that from investments so we should have a safety margin there on top of an eraly pension that will kick in 18 years from now (once I am 55),  house is paid for, and not included in our budget is travel which we like to do, not so much lately as it gets compmicated with 3 kids (todlers).

Welcome @SHO, and congratulations on a stellar achievement. I wish I had been FIRE when I had toddlers.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:43:39 AM by Parizade »

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2374 on: May 13, 2019, 05:52:09 AM »
@Parizade Every future home I own will be an acceptable rental when I want to move.  I'm done giving away 6%

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2375 on: May 13, 2019, 07:05:49 AM »
Thank you all for the updates, I love hearing about new joiners and what people that have pulled the rip cord are doing.  I am really glad we weren't planning on selling the house. I actually like moving (military kid) but that mixed with everything else would have sucked the fun out of it.

For me, I got to go on a random mini-road trip last week.  Some friends from work needed to drive to the other site 8 hours away so I tagged along.  It was so fun!  I just had to cover my food costs for the two days, but I got to spend some good quality time with some of my favorite people.  I also got to see some friends that had to relocate during the merger.  So fun.  One of the ladies really wants to know how to FIRE, so I am going to get her some info so she can start a plan too :).

LV

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2376 on: May 13, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
I don't miss it AT ALL.  It really was like a switch.

Agreed.  I have found the same thing.

@chasesfish - I'm curious to hear what prompted your "disposable" comment.  It sounds like there's a story there.

And finally welcome @SHO .  I'm always incredibly impressed when I hear about people achieving FIRE before they're 40.  Did your expat work help accelerate reaching FI?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2377 on: May 13, 2019, 03:00:42 PM »
@FIRE 20/20 - The first official letter I got was revoking my restricted stock.  It wasn't a thank you for your service, congratulations on retirement, information on how to access my deferred comp, or even my package for COBRA to keep my health insurance.   

No, the first letter came from executive compensation saying I was terminated and I was forfeiting a bunch of money.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2378 on: May 13, 2019, 03:49:30 PM »
@FIRE 20/20 - The first official letter I got was revoking my restricted stock.  It wasn't a thank you for your service, congratulations on retirement, information on how to access my deferred comp, or even my package for COBRA to keep my health insurance.   

No, the first letter came from executive compensation saying I was terminated and I was forfeiting a bunch of money.

Sheesh! so basically confirmation that you'd made the right choice leaving that horrible place! I'm so glad you got out.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2379 on: May 13, 2019, 04:00:13 PM »
Welcome to the group @SHO!  Well done on reaching FI so young, and with three little ones to boot.  Outstanding. 

Waiting for confirmation from @dude that his last day was Friday.  I have a feeling he may still be sleeping off the epic weekend haha.

On deck this week we have @MaybeBabyMustache, who is waving bye bye to her job and heading off on sabbatical.  What are your plans for the free time?

Oh my, so many plans! Here they are:
-Running a half marathon this weekend, to kick things off
-Taking my mom to Las Vegas
-Reading, writing, relaxing
-Running in a relay on the Washington coast
-Taking my sister & best friend to Hawaii
-Hanging out on the Oregon coast with my husband & kids
-Going on a mini vacation with my husband
-Running in a relay with my extended family
-Participating in a big mountain biking event
-Doing an obstacle event with the kids

Apparently, I'll be getting a lot of exercise!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2380 on: May 13, 2019, 04:21:55 PM »
Dancing at our cottage with our friends, drinking and laughing about the other people who bluffed, and then lowered their price by 10k because we were willing to walk away. Costly transaction coming up!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2381 on: May 13, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »

That sounds SO wonderful @MaybeBabyMustache!  You aren't going to want the sabbatical to end!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2382 on: May 13, 2019, 04:58:41 PM »
@Parizade - It was unfortunate for sure.  I sent them a letter back to tell them I was not terminated and I early retired and it was announced as such by leadership.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2383 on: May 13, 2019, 05:44:38 PM »

That sounds SO wonderful @MaybeBabyMustache!  You aren't going to want the sabbatical to end!

Exercise is good!  Way to kick things off with all kinds of fun of many flavors.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2384 on: May 13, 2019, 05:48:47 PM »
Bumping the list, as it was getting buried:

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)          CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)           CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                  CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse             CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash (48)              CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)             CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)        CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                   CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)                CONFIRMED       
03/18/19     chasesfish (36)             CONFIRMED
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)       CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)              CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)                  CONFIRMED
04/01/19     Ryder (39)                    CONFIRMED
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)          CONFIRMED
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)      CONFIRMED SWAMI
04/06/19     Caroline PF                    CONFIRMED SEMI-FIRE
04/07/19     BTDRetire (64)              CONFIRMED 
04/19/19     Eric (42)                       CONFIRMED
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)           CONFIRMED
05/02/19     couponvan                    CONFIRMED
05/14/19     anonprof                       CONFIRMED
05/??/19      dude (53)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/24/19     Prairie Stash (38)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55 (59)                     
05/31/19     Dibdab (56)
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/10     snowdog (57)
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/29/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/30/19     SHO (37)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
08/30/19     MoMan  (55)
08/31/19     Gerard
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/13/19     dayzero
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     JumboShrimp
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)
Edgema
Jfer_rose (41)
Gerardc  (35)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma
exit2019  (40)
powersuitrecall  (47)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:27:44 PM by Trifele »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2385 on: May 13, 2019, 10:02:34 PM »
The emotional roller coaster continues....

I was emailed a confidential head office “strategy” paper that is proposing to shut my office. A$$holes.

Whilst I am supposedly meant to be FIREing at the end of the year, I don’t really want to have to fire everyone on the way out.

Maybe I’ll get a few months pay in lieu of notice as a parting gift and my cost of repatriation paid and maybe a few other perks. I’ll try and make the chaos work for me in my best Little Finger impersonation.

.... if only I hadnt stalled completely on my way to my number I would be more relaxed about what is going on around me. I am stuck at around 90% and can’t make headway for a variety of reasons. And I thought the power of compounding meant the last miles were meant to be the easiest. My net worth is pretty much exactly what it was 12 months ago despite working and saving. Arrgghh..

SHO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2386 on: May 13, 2019, 10:28:02 PM »
@FIRE 20/20 , @Trifele @Parizade thanks for the welcoming. Very happy to be here. Have been reading the blog for a little more than a couple years now, but my FIRE plans date back more than ten years. Retirement date is on the 30th of June, while I have been very relaxed at work considering my financial situation I still do my best though I must admit it has not been fun anymore. The expat situation did help - had better salary and housing was provided, and will get a small pension in a few years.

My parents retired in their mid 40s, after which my mom worked part time for a couple of years or so in a non profit and my dad has had many interests that have turned into side gigs which has helped to keep him bussy a day or two of the week. They both worked really hard when I was young, and I remember my mom taking some work home and my dad ventuting in side gigs which would often bring in more cash than his normal job - I learned discipline and determination from them. I can only wish my kids can have the same opportunities I did, and with some luck perhaps they can retire in their 20s.

We are relocating to our home city in July, eager to spend more time with the family and also on my own projects. As @MaybeBabyMustache already have so many things on my wish list that is difficult to prioritize what to do - from a list of pending books to read, a couple of easy and not-so-easy DIY projects, hobbies, and so on...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:41:25 PM by SHO »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2387 on: May 13, 2019, 10:43:01 PM »
And I thought the power of compounding meant the last miles were meant to be the easiest. My net worth is pretty much exactly what it was 12 months ago despite working and saving. Arrgghh..

Do you own more shares?  Because if you do, your net worth will go up fast once the market goes up past last year's high and stays there. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2388 on: May 14, 2019, 01:55:59 AM »

Whilst I am supposedly meant to be FIREing at the end of the year, I don’t really want to have to fire everyone on the way out.

That's exactly what happened to me back in January -- had to fire a bunch of people on my way out during a re-org.  :(  But I did get severance.  Best of luck to you @itchyfeet.   

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2389 on: May 14, 2019, 04:35:04 AM »

I was emailed a confidential head office “strategy” paper that is proposing to shut my office. A$$holes.

UGH! That sounds awful @itchyfeet! I would be tempted to just walk out and let someone else clean up the mess, even at 90%

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2390 on: May 14, 2019, 05:54:31 AM »
@itchyfeet - I'm sorry to hear this!

It might help your position if you can also disclose to your teammates that you are being let go.  In that situation, you're just one of everyone else trying to make the best of a situation.  If you have to keep that under wraps, then that really stinks

Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2391 on: May 14, 2019, 10:13:32 AM »
I'm going to have to take myself off this list due to some unexpected changes affecting my budget for the foreseeable future.  Best of luck to all of you taking the leap this year!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2392 on: May 14, 2019, 10:45:56 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts and best wishes everyone.

Whilst it might be easy to walk, I am not happy at 90%. I don’t want to start FIRED life on the back foot if I can help it. 6 months more this year will get me to 95% I hope. (Swordguy, yes I am invested in stocks and property too. My Houses have been dragging me down over the past 2 years. Stocks are going good).

It is most likely that I would have to do all the fireing of the team here and then MegaCorp would make an effort to reassign me elsewhere in the world. Maybe even back to Australia. Personally, I’m pretty safe, provided I am willing to work internationally. My team doesn’t have the same luxury. Firing them all will suck big time, but they already know it’s a possibility as our results have been bad for a couple of years. We didn’t close on a couple of big contracts last year which we needed to.

I will see how the next few months play out, and try and get some kind of severance at the end f the year by turning down whatever assignment they offer me. Even though the severance won’t be much I should be able to get 3 months at least. With that I think I will be close enough to my number

I suppose there is still a chance of me not FIREing if they offer me something really motivating to work on, in the right city in the world that works for both DW and I.

At least I have FU money ++ if it comes to needing to walk, and I do have enough money to live comfortably the rest of my life. I just want more comfort, more buffer.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2393 on: May 14, 2019, 04:20:11 PM »
I'm going to have to take myself off this list due to some unexpected changes affecting my budget for the foreseeable future.  Best of luck to all of you taking the leap this year!

I'm sorry to see you go @Dreamer , but you need to do what is best for you.  I only hope it is all positive news :).

anonprof

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2394 on: May 15, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »
Yesterday was my notice day, so while not my official last day, it was my last day of work.  My coworkers held a nice party for me and sent me on my way.  Got lots of questions about my plans and a lot of incredulous reactions about my retirement (I'm in my early 40's).  I didn't even hate my really long commute home last night (normally the bumper to bumper traffic would have had me grinding my teeth).  So happy to be done, but I don't think reality has set in yet. 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2395 on: May 15, 2019, 12:57:00 PM »
Yesterday was my notice day, so while not my official last day, it was my last day of work.  My coworkers held a nice party for me and sent me on my way.  Got lots of questions about my plans and a lot of incredulous reactions about my retirement (I'm in my early 40's).  I didn't even hate my really long commute home last night (normally the bumper to bumper traffic would have had me grinding my teeth).  So happy to be done, but I don't think reality has set in yet.

Congratulations anonprof, can't wait to join you!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2396 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
Congratulations @anonprof !!!  Got you CONFIRMED above. ^

Sorry to see you go @Dreamer.  Best of luck, and come back anytime!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2397 on: May 15, 2019, 05:42:16 PM »

Hurray!  It is far more fun to be traffic for other people, than to be in traffic :).

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2398 on: May 15, 2019, 05:57:29 PM »

Congratulations!  You'll have tons of thoughts and feelings over the next few months, but they'll be overwhelmingly positive.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2399 on: May 16, 2019, 06:49:12 AM »
I met with my manager yesterday to talk about some issues that came up around my "final project." This project was supposed to be something light and fun, which it was until some of the stakeholders became hostile and combative over who was in charge. I was feeling frustrated and shared this with my manager. I'm going to paraphrase his wonderful response:

"At the end of day Parizade you don't report to them, you report to me, and if it was up to me you wouldn't have to do anything you don't want to do in these last few weeks. In my opinion you should be floating out the door on Cloud 9, not wrestling with hostile stakeholders. So do whatever you want to do now, and I will back you up on it!"

I work remotely so I couldn't give him a hug but I certainly did in my mind! He just gave me permission to float through the last month and I intend to do exactly that.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!