Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793065 times)

waffles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2300 on: April 26, 2019, 02:37:47 PM »
I turned in retirement paperwork today for an official date of June 29. This is starting to get real!

I have worked the same job at the same place for over 27 years and I am so ready to be done. Two months feels like both forever and no time at all.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2301 on: April 26, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »
Two months feels like both forever and no time at all.

That's because it **IS** both forever and no time at all!

Congrats!

Caroline PF

• Stubble
« Reply #2302 on: April 26, 2019, 02:46:40 PM »
I'm feeling a little bit lost.

You seem to be uncertain what kind of future you want. So my vote is for you to give yourself space to figure that out. Take a sabbatical. At the end of the sabbatical, when you have more clarity, you can come back to your field, change careers, or fully FIRE. No need to make that decision now.

And any decision you do make now is not set in stone - it can be changed. So try out different options and see what sticks.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2303 on: April 26, 2019, 06:56:45 PM »

You seem to be uncertain what kind of future you want. So my vote is for you to give yourself space to figure that out. Take a sabbatical. At the end of the sabbatical, when you have more clarity, you can come back to your field, change careers, or fully FIRE. No need to make that decision now.

And any decision you do make now is not set in stone - it can be changed. So try out different options and see what sticks.

I agree.  Your 'stache as brought you options, so you can figure out the best one for you at this point in your life.  You don't have to do anything forever, but if you don't make a decision, life will make it for you.
Take some time to think about it, makes some lists, and work it though.  If you do decide to pull the trigger and FIRE, we will still be here.

@waffles Yah for paperwork.  It really is getting real!!!  The days are long, but the months are short.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2304 on: April 27, 2019, 01:56:48 AM »

I agree.  Your 'stache as brought you options, so you can figure out the best one for you at this point in your life.  You don't have to do anything forever, but if you don't make a decision, life will make it for you.
Take some time to think about it, makes some lists, and work it though.  If you do decide to pull the trigger and FIRE, we will still be here.

@waffles Yah for paperwork.  It really is getting real!!!  The days are long, but the months are short.
Sam, the first thing to say is Congratulations!  Getting to even a skinny FI at 30 is an amazing achievement and deserves to be celebrated.
You are now faced with the eternal 'what next?' and it's pretty clear that you don't have the answer to that one yet.  You are FI so you have options, You are 30 so you have time.  You achieved FI by 30 so you clearly have the ability to apply yourself to something and get results.  You need to spend the next period of your life working hard on establishing what it is you really want to do.  That is not an easy task for most people and isn't something you can come to an instant snap decision on.  Treat it as a project.  There are so many possibilities ahead of you that need thought, no-one will think any the less of you for not REing whilst you get your head round them.  We don't want people to be FIRE'd, we want people to be happy - we just think that FIRE is a great route to that for many.  Take some time to get your head together - your stache will continue to snowball in the background  Work out what YOU want and go for it without regrets.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2305 on: April 27, 2019, 04:26:05 AM »
@SamIAm38 -- Huge congratulations to you for reaching FI at such a young age.  And I agree with the other wise posters above -- if you are not yet at a place where you know what you want to retire TO, and if work is going well, why rush it?  And I also agree wholeheartedly that you should take some time off work, to think things through and try things out.  Your past self has given your present self what is (in my opinion) the biggest gift imaginable.  So -- start unwrapping the present!

@waffles -- Congratulations on turning in the paperwork!  It does indeed get very real.  :)

And @FIRE 20/20 -- how did yesterday go?  Are you and your partner done?       
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:20:07 AM by Trifele »

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2306 on: April 27, 2019, 04:32:52 AM »

I was thinking Damn it Feels Good to be a Gangster - like Peter in Office Space  :)

Damn, I so wish I would have thought of that and played it loudly as I walked out of the office two months ago!
Are you in Software too?

Hope you are going OK getting rid of all your stuff. I had the same issues - I think it stopped me enjoying the FIRE buildup a bit - it was quite stressful - but in the end I managed to sell quite a bit, give away most of the rest and only had to dump a couple of things.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 04:47:06 AM by SeanTash »

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2307 on: April 27, 2019, 04:45:51 AM »
A little update since FIREing in February,

Since then, I've got rid of all my stuff in Australia (except what I can carry) and I've been travelling in Asia - Bhutan, Thailand and mostly here in Nepal.
I've been trekking like crazy for the last 7 weeks. It feels good to be exercising my body again so much.
I've lost a bunch of weight, and feel as fit as at any time in my life.

In a surprising twist, I'm actually considering some kind of SWAMI  - I realise how toxic my last workplace was, but I think a new location (I'm thinking somewhere like Barcelona or Berlin) and a cool smallish company might actually be a genuinely fun challenge.
This is partly driven by my realisation that my budget is really lean - even in Nepal, one of the cheapest countries in the world, I've gone over it on the odd day - so it would be really difficult in Europe (I do want to spend some time there each year)
Part of the problem is that mentally I was using prices from my last extensive travel a few years ago, when the Aussie $ was about on par with the U.S. $. Now its closer to 2/3, and local prices seem to be based mainly off of the greenback's value.

But it's still a choice - I can live frugally if I need to. Or I can do other work for fun - english teaching, woofing for accomodation+food, etc. So not decided yet. I definitely won't be taking a boring job at a big corporation that sucks the life out of me each day!

Oh and for the record @Trifele, I'm 48 (for the list).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2308 on: April 27, 2019, 05:12:40 AM »
A little update since FIREing in February,

Great update @SeanTash!  You should change the location under your username to "The World" haha. 

Got your age added^

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2309 on: April 27, 2019, 07:39:35 AM »
Thanks for the update @SeanTash.  It is good to hear what people are doing after their FIRE.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2310 on: April 27, 2019, 07:47:06 AM »
Thanks for the update @SeanTash.  It is good to hear what people are doing after their FIRE.

Yes, thank you SeanTash and everyone who is posting their happy FIRE stories. It is very inspiring and helps me be patient during these last few weeks. I'm trying very hard not to be neurotic but I find myself double checking my NW and using FIRE calculators daily to reassure myself that I really am  prepared. Every little twinge of pain or spot of dry skin has my mind racing to thoughts of "sure, now that I can retire I'll get some agressive cancer and DIE."

Deep breaths, positive thoughts, lots of lavendar, and reading happy post-FIRE stories from my cohort. This is my lifeline.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2311 on: April 27, 2019, 11:26:37 AM »
Every little twinge of pain or spot of dry skin has my mind racing to thoughts of "sure, now that I can retire I'll get some agressive cancer and DIE."

Way better to be sick when you're not working than sick when you have to drag yourself to work to pay the bills...

We know this from experience.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2312 on: April 27, 2019, 11:34:50 AM »
Every little twinge of pain or spot of dry skin has my mind racing to thoughts of "sure, now that I can retire I'll get some agressive cancer and DIE."

Way better to be sick when you're not working than sick when you have to drag yourself to work to pay the bills...

We know this from experience.

Good point SwordGuy, I'll add that to my "think positive thoughts" list.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2313 on: April 27, 2019, 11:58:44 AM »
I'm trying very hard not to be neurotic but I find myself double checking my NW and using FIRE calculators daily to reassure myself that I really am  prepared. Every little twinge of pain or spot of dry skin has my mind racing to thoughts of "sure, now that I can retire I'll get some aggressive cancer and DIE."

@Parizade -- I had those exact same thoughts pre-FIRE, and it was nothing -- just some weird aspect of pre-FIRE stress.  In my case I think it was extra bad because I've had cancer.  I couldn't shake the thought that it would return and kill me right as I FIREd.   (A grim joke told among cancer survivors is that one silver lining is you'll never have a headache again.  Because you'll immediately worry it's not a headache, but cancer returning).  If you've not been diagnosed with anything like that so far, then the chances of it (a) happening now and (b) being something extremely serious are really really small.  Just try to stay busy, get lots of exercise, and try not to think about it.  You'll be ok.  :)   

SamIAm38

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2314 on: April 27, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »
@SamIAm38 -- Huge congratulations to you for reaching FI at such a young age.  And I agree with the other wise posters above -- if you are not yet at a place where you know what you want to retire TO, and if work is going well, why rush it?  And I also agree wholeheartedly that you should take some time off work, to think things through and try things out.  Your past self has given your present self what is (in my opinion) the biggest gift imaginable.  So -- start unwrapping the present!

Sam, the first thing to say is Congratulations!  Getting to even a skinny FI at 30 is an amazing achievement and deserves to be celebrated.
You are now faced with the eternal 'what next?' and it's pretty clear that you don't have the answer to that one yet.  You are FI so you have options, You are 30 so you have time.  You achieved FI by 30 so you clearly have the ability to apply yourself to something and get results.  You need to spend the next period of your life working hard on establishing what it is you really want to do.  That is not an easy task for most people and isn't something you can come to an instant snap decision on.  Treat it as a project.  There are so many possibilities ahead of you that need thought, no-one will think any the less of you for not REing whilst you get your head round them.  We don't want people to be FIRE'd, we want people to be happy - we just think that FIRE is a great route to that for many.  Take some time to get your head together - your stache will continue to snowball in the background  Work out what YOU want and go for it without regrets.

Thanks so much for the kind words and advice. I guess I'm so hyper focused on crossing the finish line that I forgot to think about what I want to do after the race. I kept this goal on my mind to keep me motivated through a less than fulfilling situation. Time to work on the fulfilling part. I'm happy where I'm at but i'm not challenged or learning anything anymore and that's really what keeps me driven. The more real this becomes the more I switch my focus from what more do I want to what could I lose if I leave this. I don't consider myself an anxious person but I definitely noticed my worries and concerns list growing the closer it gets to making a move.

I'll check back in after I hear back from the two jobs. Seem's like its best to weigh all the options once I have all the information. I think it's time for a change, whether that's to sabbatical/fire, experiment with remote/traveling lifestyle or switch my focus to prioritize lifestyle while working, I owe it to myself to do something different and keep myself moving forward.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2315 on: April 27, 2019, 01:24:45 PM »
I had those exact same thoughts pre-FIRE, and it was nothing -- just some weird aspect of pre-FIRE stress.  In my case I think it was extra bad because I've had cancer.  I couldn't shake the thought that it would return and kill me right as I FIREd.   (A grim joke told among cancer survivors is that one silver lining is you'll never have a headache again.  Because you'll immediately worry it's not a headache, but cancer returning).  If you've not been diagnosed with anything like that so far, then the chances of it (a) happening now and (b) being something extremely serious are really really small.  Just try to stay busy, get lots of exercise, and try not to think about it.  You'll be ok.  :)

Thanks Trifele, the Sr VP of my area put me on a special project that keeps me very busy doing what I enjoy most while training in my replacement (who I've already determined will become a lifelong friend, amazing lady) so that has helped tremendously. Time is flying by.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2316 on: April 30, 2019, 04:25:24 AM »
How are you doing @FIRE 20/20 ?   Did you wrap up on Friday?

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2317 on: April 30, 2019, 09:08:25 AM »
How are you doing @FIRE 20/20 ?   Did you wrap up on Friday?

Sorry for not responding a couple of days ago.  Friday was my partner's last day - she's FIRED.  That evening we traveled out of town, and had a crazy weekend.  We went to a horror convention near Detroit and had a photo op with Clive Barker and then attended John Waters' birthday party with Jake Shears as the musical guest.  Clive Barker and John Waters are her favorite directors, and Jake Shears is one of her favorite musicians.  Needless to say I didn't have time to check the boards until I got back.
I'm still in limbo.  I am on leave from my company, with the expectation I'll be called back in late May or June to work one last project for ~6 weeks over the summer.  But if they don't call sometime in May then I should be out.  For now I'm living as FIREd, and will be happy to either do one more bit of interesting work or not. 

I don't care how I'm marked on the list - I'm thinking of myself as FIREd, but you can put me down for whatever. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:11:03 AM by FIRE 20/20 »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2318 on: April 30, 2019, 09:11:37 AM »
@FIRE 20/20 Woohoo on your partner calling it quits and having an fantastic weekend right after!!
Congrats to you too.  Do you think they will call in May?

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2319 on: April 30, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »
@FIRE 20/20 Woohoo on your partner calling it quits and having an fantastic weekend right after!!

Thanks!  I think it's 80% likely they will call, although a few weeks ago I thought it was nearly 100%. 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2320 on: April 30, 2019, 10:09:50 AM »

Thanks!  I think it's 80% likely they will call, although a few weeks ago I thought it was nearly 100%.

Congrats @FIRE 20/20, sounds like a darn good firestarter weekend!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2321 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:46 AM »
Congratulations to you and your partner @FIRE 20/20 !  That sounds like a fantastic weekend!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)          CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)           CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                  CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse             CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash (48)              CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)             CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)        CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                   CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)                CONFIRMED       
03/18/19     chasesfish (36)             CONFIRMED
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)       CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)              CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)                  CONFIRMED
04/01/19     Ryder (39)                    CONFIRMED
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)          CONFIRMED
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)      CONFIRMED SWAMI
04/06/19     Caroline PF                    CONFIRMED SEMI-FIRE
04/07/19     BTDRetire (64)              CONFIRMED 
04/19/19     Eric (42)                       CONFIRMED
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)           CONFIRMED
05/02/19     couponvan                    CONFIRMED
05/09/19     dude (53)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/24/19     Prairie Stash (38)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55 (59)                     
05/31/19     Dibdab (56)
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/10     snowdog (57)
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/29/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     SHO (37)
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/17/19     anonprof
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
08/30/19     MoMan  (55)
08/31/19     Gerard
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/13/19     dayzero
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     Dreamer
10/??/19     JumboShrimp
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)
Edgema
Jfer_rose (41)
Gerardc  (35)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma
exit2019  (40)
powersuitrecall  (47)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:03:48 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2322 on: April 30, 2019, 10:26:34 AM »
I really like that list!!!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2323 on: April 30, 2019, 11:22:35 AM »
I really like that list!!!

Me too, but I'll like it even more in 52 days :-)

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2324 on: April 30, 2019, 12:05:02 PM »

2019 FIRE Cohort:

07/03/19     Miss Piggy

I have really been struggling with this lately, thinking instead that I may wait until the end of the year, OMY, etc....you know the drill. But over the past few days, I have gained a crap-ton of clarity (which is interesting since clarity technically weighs nothing). I texted my husband earlier and suggested we discuss my exit plan this evening. I'm ready to stick to my original date as noted above. I'm more than ready, mentally as well as financially. My big, fat, hairy fear is healthcare, but we can work with that. We have options.  The work I'm doing (at my...ugh...job) does not energize me. I don't exactly hate it, but it's just not the kind of work I want to be doing anymore. I'm over it. And I'm over the bullshit politics. Time to make my move soon.

I've enjoyed keeping up with the recent "moves" in this thread. Lots of happiness here.

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2325 on: April 30, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »
@Trifele for maintaining the list!  I really like seeing it fill up and getting updates as everyone approaches and passes the milestone. 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2326 on: April 30, 2019, 07:37:07 PM »
@Trifele for maintaining the list!  I really like seeing it fill up and getting updates as everyone approaches and passes the milestone.
DITTO! Thank you Trifele for all you do for our cohort

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2327 on: May 01, 2019, 12:22:29 AM »
Trifele picked up where I was slacking as OP, redoing the list, being general greeter and thread host.
I dropped the ball right after I FIRED, as I went on a cross country trip, with little internet service. When I did get back, Trifele had things going well enough, I didn't see a pressing need for my OP services. 
Thanks @Trifele !!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2328 on: May 01, 2019, 04:30:36 AM »
Thanks @Trifele !!!

My pleasure.  It's amazing to see how far we've all come! 

@Miss Piggy -- great update.  How did your discussion go about your exit plan?  Health insurance is a fear/big unknown for many of us.   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:43:47 AM by Trifele »

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2329 on: May 01, 2019, 05:47:00 AM »
Trifele picked up where I was slacking as OP, redoing the list, being general greeter and thread host.
I dropped the ball right after I FIRED, as I went on a cross country trip, with little internet service. When I did get back, Trifele had things going well enough, I didn't see a pressing need for my OP services. 
Thanks @Trifele !!!
Thanks for getting it all started markbike528CBX. I fully intend to drop many many balls after I FIRE, it's part of the deal isn't it?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:46:31 AM by Parizade »

Phryne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2330 on: May 01, 2019, 06:08:40 AM »
I'm not there yet (about 25 more working days!), but I have a great job that pays very well.  I have great management, excellent peers, and a fantastic team who works for me.  I think the work I've done throughout my career really matters, and I feel like I've made significant contributions.  However, I realize that the next year of my life is the youngest and probably the healthiest, most potential-filled year I have left on this planet.  I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  Will my family and friends be thankful that I spent my time in this cubicle, this office, or this conference room instead of with them?  Will I look back on this business decision - no matter how great it is - with as much happiness as I will look back on any of a hundred other things I could do today?  I've posted a lot about how terrified I am of shutting off the firehose of money they're spraying at me, but even stronger than that terror is the knowledge that I have a limited time to do the things I want to do in life and *this year* could be the best or maybe even the only year I have left.  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life.

In honor of your last work week @FIRE 20/20 I'm reposting your comments from March 15.  That post was a beauty and eloquently summed up the feelings a lot of us have. 

Hope your last few days are smooth!  I remember you said your partner is also FIREing Friday.  What are your plans for after?  May is one fine month to have free.

Thanks for reposting this- it totally resonates with me.

I have no right being here- I'm in the 2023 cohort (trying to push into 2022...) but just wanted to say to everyone thanks for the continued inspiration!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2331 on: May 01, 2019, 06:19:37 AM »

@Miss Piggy -- great update.  How did your discussion go about your exit plan?  Health insurance is a fear/big unknown for many of us.

@Trifele - the discussion was short and sweet. Honestly, it was more for me to re-commit out loud to the decision. Hubby is totally on board. We're already considering him FIREd since his contract gig ended in December.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2332 on: May 01, 2019, 06:21:51 AM »
Thanks for reposting this- it totally resonates with me.

I have no right being here- I'm in the 2023 cohort (trying to push into 2022...) but just wanted to say to everyone thanks for the continued inspiration!

I agree @Phryne -- that post really sums it up, doesn't it?  Someone could write music for that one, and it could be the theme song of our cohort.  :)  Nicely done, @FIRE 20/20.   

I'm glad this thread gives you inspiration.  I remember reading the 2017 and 2018 threads every day for the same reason.  It gave me energy, and helped me convince myself deep down that it really, truly could be done.  Best of luck on your journey, and possibly trimming some time off!  Your time will be here before you know it. 

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2333 on: May 01, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »
Thanks @Trifele !!!
Thanks for getting it all started markbike528CBX for getting it all started. I fully intend to drop many many balls after I FIRE, it's part of the deal isn't it?
I bet I've dropped a lot more balls than most.  Since FIREing I've been trying to remember how to juggle again after a twenty year break...

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2334 on: May 01, 2019, 09:06:03 AM »
I learned something new today, I left the house at around 845 am for my grocery shopping trip only to discover that is still part of rush hour apparently.  Ugh.  Glad I didn't have anywhere I needed to be.  The good news is the shelves were stocked and there were no lines to check out at the store.  Last week taught me noonish is too late.  So I am still zeroing in. Maybe 930 or so....

LV

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2335 on: May 01, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »
I bet I've dropped a lot more balls than most.  Since FIREing I've been trying to remember how to juggle again after a twenty year break...

Actual juggling?  Basic 3 ball, club passing, or something else?  I also took a ~20 year break from juggling and I plan to get back into it. 

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2336 on: May 01, 2019, 03:05:21 PM »

Actual juggling?  Basic 3 ball, club passing, or something else?  I also took a ~20 year break from juggling and I plan to get back into it.

This is too funny.  I starting trying to learn to juggle yesterday.  I came across three foil balls DH had made while at work.  He would eat the candy and then add the foil onto a ball, for all 7 years that he worked there.  When the ball got too big to easily add more foil he would make a new one.  Turns our they are a good juggling size for me.  And they sum up the last 7 years at his last company before FIRE.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2337 on: May 01, 2019, 03:29:08 PM »

This is too funny.  I starting trying to learn to juggle yesterday.  I came across three foil balls DH had made while at work.  He would eat the candy and then add the foil onto a ball, for all 7 years that he worked there.  When the ball got too big to easily add more foil he would make a new one.  Turns our they are a good juggling size for me.  And they sum up the last 7 years at his last company before FIRE.
Just three balls at the moment, but if I can get back in the groove I'll get the clubs out of the shed.  Not yet though because those things hurt!

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2338 on: May 02, 2019, 12:09:35 PM »
Last day is May 24, I'll be 38.

I just finished the conversation. My boss was surprised and was asking my thoughts about staying on for 6 months more; I declined (if I wanted more time I could have resigned later). I replied that I don't mind doing contract work at a higher rate, that was met with the standard; we'll have to discuss that with HR.

I'm ambivalent on the whole ordeal, I plan on living my best life. I enjoy parts of my job and I'm willing to continue, other parts I don't enjoy and wish to stop. I told my boss as much and let him know its up to him to decide if they want me or not.

On a personal level he was happy for me. On a work level, it was quite the shock. He mentioned he wished he could have had more notice, I told him that I had mentioned it a year ago that I wanted more time off to my former supervisor, which didn't end up happening. From my perspective, no one took me serious enough and would never have believed me anyhow. Also, if I had changed my mind I would have foregone any possibility of training, which i think is problematic; I would have lost something by telling them and gained nothing.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #2339 on: May 02, 2019, 12:31:04 PM »
I'd tell them that I'm sure that people who get fired also want more notice, but when one group has all the power, they keep and use it :D

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2340 on: May 02, 2019, 12:31:54 PM »
Feeling ultra micro managed today.  Targeting 4.5 months (of which I'll be on vacation for 2.5 of those months). 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2341 on: May 02, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Congrats on setting the date @Prairie Stash!  Got you updated in the list above ^.  What are your FIRE plans?

Thanks for the check in @JoJo.  Sounds like you already have some summer trips planned.  Way to use up all your vacation time before you go.  And if you pull the plug in September, you've still got some prime travel time this year -- nice! 

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2342 on: May 02, 2019, 02:59:18 PM »
Congrats on setting the date @Prairie Stash!  Got you updated in the list above ^.  What are your FIRE plans?

The first few weeks I plan to negotiate work as a consultant to my old company at a higher pay. I suspect they don't see it my way, they're use to paying me $X and can't understand $2*X. Or I'll just offer it directly to companies of interest...There's a certain satisfaction about flexing my stash. The best time to flex is when you're indifferent, its the ultimate position of power.

If that fails, I plan to set up a hammock and listen to the birds.

@Lews Therin so very true about people being fired. I started with mostly boomers and watched a few get fired after decades of service. One guy had 40 years in and an unofficial planned retirement was a few months off, he had disclosed it over coffee to coworkers that he would retire on his birthday. All the notice they give is 2 weeks, in that case his severance was greater than his remaining weeks but the hit to his personal pride was massive.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2343 on: May 02, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »
Last day is May 24, I'll be 38.

I just finished the conversation. My boss was surprised and was asking my thoughts about staying on for 6 months more; I declined (if I wanted more time I could have resigned later).

Yah!  Having that conversation can really make it feel real!  If you don't mind me asking, what will be involved with living your best life?  I do so love to poach ideas :).

As for me, today was rug cleaning day.  The carpet really needed a deep clean, so this morning DH and I moved the furniture out of the carpeted rooms and rented a rug cleaner.  Two happy thoughts came of this: 1.  I am really glad we don't own that much stuff, so moving it, and moving it back, isn't that big of a deal. 2.  I am also really glad I don't have a very big house.  The actual rug cleaning took about 3 hours, but that includes stopped near the end of dinner and going over the high traffic areas twice.

Overall a pretty well spent day.

LV

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2344 on: May 02, 2019, 03:50:30 PM »

If you're learning, make sure you're working on a Cascade, not a Shower.  Most people think of a Shower when they think of juggling, but a Shower is much more difficult to learn and perfect than a Cascade, and the Cascade is the basic pattern that can be the starting point for more tricks, if you're interested. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toss_juggling#Shower

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #2345 on: May 02, 2019, 07:02:57 PM »
Dropping in to say "hi" and I may have added myself to the contingent a few years earlier than planned.  My last day was 3/29/19, but I'd been off work since 10/17/18....Cancer kind of changes your world.  So DH is still working, and I'm enjoying what I call a "smoke break" for now.  However I don't feel like going back to work and think I'm going to let this be my FIRE date.  I may relegate myself back to the 2022 group if FIRE feels too hot. NW hit $1.725 this past month. Our original FIRE budget was $2.5MM....DH is making just as much as we used to make together at his new elevated job (promoted 7/1/18) and has no plans for FIRE himself for at least the next 4-5 years. We will continue saving and see how things pan out.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2346 on: May 02, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
@Lews Therin so very true about people being fired. I started with mostly boomers and watched a few get fired after decades of service. One guy had 40 years in and an unofficial planned retirement was a few months off, he had disclosed it over coffee to coworkers that he would retire on his birthday. All the notice they give is 2 weeks, in that case his severance was greater than his remaining weeks but the hit to his personal pride was massive.

That's so rotten! How hard would it have been just to give him an early retirement with severence package? They did that at my current employer last year, offered older workers an early retirement option with a little better severence and a year of health insurance instead of layoffs. I was jealous, I would have grabbed that  offer with both hands if they had given it to me.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2347 on: May 02, 2019, 08:13:02 PM »
Dropping in to say "hi" and I may have added myself to the contingent a few years earlier than planned.  My last day was 3/29/19, but I'd been off work since 10/17/18....Cancer kind of changes your world.  So DH is still working, and I'm enjoying what I call a "smoke break" for now.  However I don't feel like going back to work and think I'm going to let this be my FIRE date.  I may relegate myself back to the 2022 group if FIRE feels too hot. NW hit $1.725 this past month. Our original FIRE budget was $2.5MM....DH is making just as much as we used to make together at his new elevated job (promoted 7/1/18) and has no plans for FIRE himself for at least the next 4-5 years. We will continue saving and see how things pan out.

Hi couponvan, I hope  you are better now. Definitely take it easy if you can, and it sounds like you are in a good position to do that.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2348 on: May 03, 2019, 04:52:44 AM »
Welcome @couponvan!   Got you added and CONFIRMED above.  Cancer does turn the world upside down.  Hope you are feeling well these days.  It sounds like you're in a great financial position.  Don't worry, FIRE won't feel hot . . . the water is coooool.  :)  Congratulations on taking a major step that many only dream of!

Continuing on the theme of "living your best FIRE life", yesterday I:

-- Worked in the garden for a couple hours in the early morning.  Weather has been beautiful -- Low 80s for highs, 50 for low.
-- Went to the Y with the kids to work out.
-- On the way home we rescued two turtles crossing the road.
-- And stopped at the grocery store for some coffee truffle ice cream.  Mmmm.
-- Helped DH with the renovation/rebuild project.  This has been his full time job for the past three years and he's done incredible things with this old house.  He finished the big work (foundation repairs, walls repaired/rebuilt, new roof rafters, windows and doors) last year.  Now we're mostly down to the 'finishing' work.  Yesterday's task was some repair work on the hardwood floors.   
-- After supper we played some euchre and then watched some Mystery Science Theater.

Life is good.     

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2349 on: May 03, 2019, 07:14:12 AM »
@Trifele - you are selling it! That sounds fantastic. Two weeks from today.... I"m officially on sabbatical!