Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793034 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2200 on: April 05, 2019, 12:31:37 PM »
Anyone who has FIRE'd already keeping in touch with old co-workers? 

Yes, I'm meeting up for a beer with a largish group of former co-workers next week.  This'll be the first time, and I'm really curious what it will be like.

It can be a bit of an acquired taste, and will probably be slightly bitter to the untrained palate, but a good beer on a sunny day is tough to beat.  It's nice you're able to explore different drinks now that you're retired.  ;)

haha @Eric :)

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2201 on: April 05, 2019, 12:52:57 PM »
Yes @Trifele , today was the day!  Turned in the badge and computer.

Leaving is bittersweet as I have great co-workers.   But I am excited to de-stress and be free! Sitting here at my computer right now, still feels like a normal day home from work.  Very surreal.

Anyone who has FIRE'd already keeping in touch with old co-workers?  On social media or in person/verbal communication?  Going to be strange not having the "water cooler" type conversations anymore.

Congratulations, Powerstache! Welcome to the other side. :)

Every Thursday I meet some of my ex-coworkers for lunch and we play cards. I then run errands for the afternoon, and play board games with them after they finish work. Last night was week three of this, and it is already settling into a routine, and they all seem to accept this as the new normal (though I still get an an occasional question about 'being a man of leisure').

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2202 on: April 06, 2019, 04:18:07 AM »
My first day post-FIRE went by quickly...had a great meeting with a women's organization I am involved in, and a lunch out with my cousin and dinner with now former co-workers.

My next few months are focused on long overdue house and yard cleanup.  Establishing my routine with family as I plan on spending more time with my parents and in laws as well as exercising. Also, I have always went into work early so I have never been the one to help get the kids up and out of the house for school. 

Once we get to the summer, will be planning fun outings with my 11 year old and 14 year old.

Thanks for answering my question about co-workers.  Setting up a routine to hang out with the ones I really enjoy is a good idea.  I have been told I can come back for events like the Christmas party.  Still trying to decide if that will be the right thing to do.  Most folks used the word retired when I left, but it such a foreign concept to the general population when you're 43 that I don't know how my "person of leisure" status will be received.  Most felt much more comfortable with me becoming a SAHM.

So excited to start this new adventure in my life! 

I have never been in an online community before, but this has been great for me.  Love seeing our cohort CONFIRMED list grow!

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2203 on: April 06, 2019, 08:03:30 AM »
I really enjoy reading these posts as they are very inspirational.  I hope to join this crew very soon.  Perhaps Monday.  I've been dealing with OMW syndrome for the past 3 weeks.  I think I finally have my head around this so Monday could be the day.  I've really been mentally checked out which makes it tough get anything done. 

Caroline PF

• Stubble
« Reply #2204 on: April 06, 2019, 06:01:18 PM »
I've been lurking for quite some time on this thread. I am loving hearing as people earn their freedom.

I feel like I belong with you guys. I'm not FIREing now, but I did just finish my last day of full-time work. As of next week, I will be part-time, working 24 hrs per week, with no intent of ever going back to full-time work. So semi-FIRE.

I chose not to completely FIRE for a couple of reasons: worry about what future healthcare will look like, wanting to try out the FIRE lifestyle before fully quitting, since my career is not tolerant of long breaks (would be hard to get back in if I needed to), and impatience to start the FIRE lifestyle now, even though I'm not FI yet.

My schedule will be working 48 hrs in 4 days, then having 10 days off. So I see a lot of camping trips, and trips to visit family this summer when the kids aren't in school. I'm so excited!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2205 on: April 06, 2019, 07:02:00 PM »
I really enjoy reading these posts as they are very inspirational.  I hope to join this crew very soon.  Perhaps Monday.  I've been dealing with OMW syndrome for the past 3 weeks.  I think I finally have my head around this so Monday could be the day.  I've really been mentally checked out which makes it tough get anything done.

OMWeek?   Eeeek!  Eject, Eject, Eject!   

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2206 on: April 06, 2019, 07:06:09 PM »
I've been lurking for quite some time on this thread. I am loving hearing as people earn their freedom.

I feel like I belong with you guys. I'm not FIREing now, but I did just finish my last day of full-time work. As of next week, I will be part-time, working 24 hrs per week, with no intent of ever going back to full-time work. So semi-FIRE.

I chose not to completely FIRE for a couple of reasons: worry about what future healthcare will look like, wanting to try out the FIRE lifestyle before fully quitting, since my career is not tolerant of long breaks (would be hard to get back in if I needed to), and impatience to start the FIRE lifestyle now, even though I'm not FI yet.

My schedule will be working 48 hrs in 4 days, then having 10 days off. So I see a lot of camping trips, and trips to visit family this summer when the kids aren't in school. I'm so excited!

We are not the IRP, please add your name to the list as Semi-FIRE.   OMY's cannot be allowed to dissuade the true believers in FIRE.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2207 on: April 06, 2019, 07:17:23 PM »
.... Snip.....
 since my career is not tolerant of long breaks (would be hard to get back in if I needed to), and impatience to start the FIRE lifestyle now, even though I'm not FI yet.

I wonder if the fear of not getting back into a career job is overblown?   

Is there any data on anyone who tried, but couldn't get back to the job?   
      a)knowing who is trying to get back in is difficult for most employees (who aren't HR personnel) to see.
      b)for those who are not "returning" to the same organization, it might not be obvious that they have been "out of the game" for a period.
      c) other categories may exist that I'm not mentioning.

In my case, I was never an ideal employee, and I'd likely be worse if I when back, but I'm pretty sure I could get my old job back (temporary, consultant basis).

Caroline PF

• Stubble
« Reply #2208 on: April 06, 2019, 09:51:11 PM »
.... Snip.....
 since my career is not tolerant of long breaks (would be hard to get back in if I needed to), and impatience to start the FIRE lifestyle now, even though I'm not FI yet.

I wonder if the fear of not getting back into a career job is overblown?   

Is there any data on anyone who tried, but couldn't get back to the job?   
      a)knowing who is trying to get back in is difficult for most employees (who aren't HR personnel) to see.
      b)for those who are not "returning" to the same organization, it might not be obvious that they have been "out of the game" for a period.
      c) other categories may exist that I'm not mentioning.

In my case, I was never an ideal employee, and I'd likely be worse if I when back, but I'm pretty sure I could get my old job back (temporary, consultant basis).

I'm guessing based on the 4*12s that Caroline PF might be a nurse or something similar -- and if that is the case then licensure requirements may mean it makes more sense to keep working a reduced schedule rather than leaving the field entirely.

Yep, lhamo is right. I'm in medicine, and have to have credentials to practice at a hospital. In order to get credentialed, I have to show that I have done a certain number of cases in the past year.

It's not impossible to get back in, but you have to find a job that's willing to let you practice under supervision to get that number of cases, and most are very wary of people with long breaks, because possible causes include addiction or massive personality issues.

It's not uncommon for hospitals or licensure agencies to ask if you've ever in your career taken a break longer than 3 months, and if so, to explain why. It's a red flag to them.

And if I let my license lapse, it would add another whole layer of difficulties.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2209 on: April 07, 2019, 04:53:04 AM »
I feel like I belong with you guys.   

Welcome @Caroline PF!  Got you added.  Congratulations and enjoy the time!

ETA I think you may have some things in common with @Bingeworker, our first FIRE of the year -- healthcare field, maybe similar challenges . . . 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 05:16:34 AM by Trifele »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2210 on: April 07, 2019, 05:11:56 AM »
ooohh, with a great March behind me, if I FIRED today Id have 23x desired spending, which according to cFIREsim puts me above 90% probability of success without even worrying about varying spending downwards in years of bad share market returns (which of course I would do).

Getting very close now :)

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2211 on: April 07, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »
Welcome @BTDretire!   Do you want to call yourself FIREd now then?

I cut back my work to about 1 day a week during 2018, worked one day just so my wife could have a day off.
But, she did more physical labor on her day off than if she had worked.
 I think her working so much is what finally pushed her to decide to start telling people the business was for sale.
 We were pretty well FI by the end of 2011, the next 7 years put way more frosting on the cake than we need.
 As to RE, I turned 64 this year, so not so early. My wife is 5 years younger.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2212 on: April 09, 2019, 03:40:09 AM »
Congrats on wrapping up your business @BTDretire!  That is a big milestone.  Got you added.  :)

Up next week we have @Eric (selling everything and going nomadic) and @gerardc (starting a 6 month leave to check things out).  @JoJo is a wild card and might pull the plug any day if she decides she's had enough.  And @edgema has turned in his notice; his last day may be soon.  Let us know how things are going!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)          CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)           CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                  CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                   CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse             CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash                     CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)             CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)        CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                   CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)                CONFIRMED       
03/18/19     chasesfish (36)             CONFIRMED
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)       CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)              CONFIRMED
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)                  CONFIRMED
04/01/19     Ryder (39)                    CONFIRMED
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)          CONFIRMED
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)      CONFIRMED SWAMI
04/06/19     Caroline PF                    CONFIRMED SEMI-FIRE
04/07/19     BTDRetire (64)              CONFIRMED 
04/19/19     Eric (42)
04/19/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/10     snowdog (57)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55 (59)
05/31/19     dude                              Date Confirmed
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/17/19     anonprof
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
08/30/19     MoMan  (55)
08/31/19     Gerard
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/13/19     dayzero
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     Dreamer
10/??/19     JumboShrimp
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)
12/31/19     Nifty (31)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)
Edgema
Jfer_rose (41)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)
Cookie78
Enigma
exit2019  (40)
powersuitrecall  (47)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 06:17:49 PM by Trifele »

snowdog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2213 on: April 09, 2019, 06:04:54 AM »

Finally did it.  Gave notice on Monday, last day in mid-May.  I'm done!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2214 on: April 09, 2019, 06:15:57 AM »

Finally did it.  Gave notice on Monday, last day in mid-May.  I'm done!!

Sweet!  Congratulations @snowdog -- got you added!   I remember your case study, and good for you for pulling the plug.  What are your plans for after?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:31:23 AM by Trifele »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2215 on: April 09, 2019, 07:33:49 AM »
What does SWAMI mean?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2216 on: April 09, 2019, 03:02:05 PM »
Yep, I'm still going but think it will be sometime this year.  I'm going to get a physical and make sure the health is good before I pull the plug.  Setting up an appointment for June.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2217 on: April 09, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »
Up next week we have @Eric (selling everything and going nomadic) [....]  Let us know how things are going!

Well, I'm definitely quitting on 4/19, so that part is going well.  Other that that though, things haven't been great and I haven't slept well for about 3 months now.  I keep waking up in the middle of the night for hours at a time, unable to turn my brain off.  This constant lack of sleep means I'm having trouble concentrating on anything for more than about 5 minutes at a time.  I think most of my problems are stemming not from fears of retirement, running out of money, or not having a paycheck, but instead from getting rid of nearly everything I own. It's kind of like I never get to fully relax, because even when I'm sitting on my couch watching TV, I'm thinking about how I have to get rid of this couch and TV soon.  I expanded on some of these issues here.  But, it'll all be over soon I'm sure.  Not having to get up to an alarm clock, even if I have a lot of work to do in my first 10 jobless days, will hopefully solve a lot of these problems.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2218 on: April 09, 2019, 03:17:06 PM »
What does SWAMI mean?

I believe it's Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual.  Basically a Mustachian who has enough money to FIRE but chooses to continue working because they enjoy their work.

Edit - from this post: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/30/weekend-edition-retire-in-your-mind-even-if-you-love-your-job/

Thanks google!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:19:25 PM by Eric »

Ryder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2219 on: April 10, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »
On deck for tomorrow we have @gerardc and @Ryder.  Last we heard from gerardc he was going on leave, but wasn't yet sure if it would be permanent/FIRE.  Ryder gave notice at the beginning of March for a target last day of April 1.  Are you two still on track?

Yep, everything went according to plan. Currently into my second week not being bound by work obligations :). It's very pleasurable and relaxing so far. It also seems like it's been much longer than 10 days: time is not flying past (in a good way, not in an "I'm bored" way) - it's a bit like summer vacation in childhood, which seemed like this endless expanse of potential for fun.

Congrats to everyone else who's taken the step or is about to do so :).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2220 on: April 10, 2019, 09:39:28 AM »
On deck for tomorrow we have @gerardc and @Ryder.  Last we heard from gerardc he was going on leave, but wasn't yet sure if it would be permanent/FIRE.  Ryder gave notice at the beginning of March for a target last day of April 1.  Are you two still on track?

Yep, everything went according to plan. Currently into my second week not being bound by work obligations :). It's very pleasurable and relaxing so far. It also seems like it's been much longer than 10 days: time is not flying past (in a good way, not in an "I'm bored" way) - it's a bit like summer vacation in childhood, which seemed like this endless expanse of potential for fun.

CONGRATULATIONS @Ryder!!  Got you confirmed.  Enjoy!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2221 on: April 10, 2019, 09:48:00 AM »
Well, I'm definitely quitting on 4/19, so that part is going well.  Other that that though, things haven't been great and I haven't slept well for about 3 months now.  I keep waking up in the middle of the night for hours at a time, unable to turn my brain off.  This constant lack of sleep means I'm having trouble concentrating on anything for more than about 5 minutes at a time.  I think most of my problems are stemming not from fears of retirement, running out of money, or not having a paycheck, but instead from getting rid of nearly everything I own. It's kind of like I never get to fully relax, because even when I'm sitting on my couch watching TV, I'm thinking about how I have to get rid of this couch and TV soon.  I expanded on some of these issues here.  But, it'll all be over soon I'm sure.  Not having to get up to an alarm clock, even if I have a lot of work to do in my first 10 jobless days, will hopefully solve a lot of these problems.

Hang in there, @Eric.  You're doing a very hard thing, undergoing multiple life changes at once.  It's bound to create stress.  Once you pass the FIRE milestone hopefully some of that will evaporate, leaving you more energy to deal with the stresses that remain.  You're almost there!

Odiedog859

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2222 on: April 10, 2019, 01:21:04 PM »
Still on planned end date of 5/31/19.  I'll probably be somewhat SWAMI with side jobs that I like doing on my schedule.  I'm transitioning most of my responsibilities to others but I'm not leaving the area so they know they can call me if something comes up.  We go into seasonal shutdowns by the end of April, I'm going backpacking on the AT for the first half of May to use up vacation and then tie up loose ends when I get back.  I know 62 doesn't qualify for much of an "early retirement" but it is a lot sooner than I ever thought 10 years ago so there's that.

My wife will still be working for a few more years so maybe I'll be moving to more of a "stay at home husband" than a retiree, just in case the Internet Retirement Police check in.

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2223 on: April 11, 2019, 07:41:59 AM »

I agree with @Ryder .  On my fifth day of FIRE and time has slowed down.  More important to me is that my mind has slowed down.  I am able to be more thoughtful and intentional about my actions instead of racing to the next issue. 

Oh, and I got EIGHT, count them, EIGHT hours sleep last night.  Glorious!

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #2224 on: April 11, 2019, 09:04:56 AM »
Bad news/great news.

First the bad news: Since I found out about the benefit a few years ago I’ve been chasing the carrot and salivating. The benefit being MegaCorp’s retiree health care coverage. Considering the efforts to crush Obamacare into oblivion, it made sense to me to keep plugging away in a cushy corporate job that I was becoming less and less fond of. I would qualify for the health care plan on my 55th birthday (which would also put me past the 10-years of service prerequisite). How much would it cost me? HR said they won’t provide estimates until I am within 6 months of my 55th. OK, I will double down on my retirement savings/investing and pad my stash ever higher.

This week is the 6 month mark, so I called back and received the guidebook on retiree benefits. Major disappointment. Here’s the coverage details:

CDHP (Consumer driven health plan) w/ HSA
Annual deductible $1,600
Co-insurance 10%
Out of pocket max $3,700
In network pharma 10%

Cost:
Retiree under 65: $1,171.16/month
Retiree under 65 + spouse: $2,351/month

Retiree over 65: $392.81
Retiree over 65 + spouse: $785.62

So $14,000 per year until I hit age 65 and enroll in Medicare. I showed my wife, a CPA who administers benefits for a small manufacturer and her jaw dropped. A quick calculation showed that adding me to her company plan would be less than half that. Even Obamacare appears cheaper.

So the great news? The incentive for me to continue working for another 6 moths has just evaporated. Wife and I will sit down tonight and run some numbers to figure out the best route to start withdrawing funds from my various accounts.

This is going to be a significant inconvenience for my department as we are just starting a multi-month project in which I play a big part--and a tedious project I despise. My managers have all treated me well over the past decade, so I’m not interested in burning bridges or anything. If they decide they REALLY need me, I may consent to working 2 or 3 days a week until they can either hire someone to replace me or we get through the bulk of the project. But I will insist on being paid a premium.

So I’m pretty sure my departure date has moved up a few notches! I will report back when I know more.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2225 on: April 11, 2019, 11:34:10 AM »
My boss was in town from Megacorp HQ this week and we went out for a team dinner last night.

Boss to me after a few beers, “so Itchyfeet, hypothetically if you had enough money not to work what would you do?”

Eek. Had I been found out....

Me to Boss, “I’d keep working, seriously what would I do if I was at home all day every day”.

I can’t wait to tell him I am a liar.

“So boss, you remember a few months back asking me what I’d do if I had enough money not to work. Well funnily enough I do have enough money not to work, and here is my resignation letter”.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2226 on: April 11, 2019, 06:12:02 PM »
Up next week we have @Eric (selling everything and going nomadic) [....]  Let us know how things are going!

I read your blog post where you say you be okay losing your $1300 deposit if you haven't gotten rid of everything by checkout day. Why not just get a storage until for a year for that money? Buys you time to realize you don't need that stuff or discover that the nomad life isn't for you.

Last year leading up to my date I was wide awake almost every night from 3-5am. I ended up not actually leaving and am currently in OMY. We'll see how it goes this summer, but I feel much more ready to go at this point.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2227 on: April 12, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
So I went out yesterday with some former co-workers.  It was great to see them, but it was also strangely stressful.  They are all still fully in work mode, and were commiserating about this or that crummy work situation.  They're happy for me, but I got quite a few quizzical looks when I told them what I'm up to these days.  I am on such a different wavelength now that I really felt like an outsider.  And then last night I slept poorly.  I had a nightmare that I was back at work dealing with X, Y, and Z emergencies.  That was unexpected.  I've barely thought about work at all since FIREing, and it's so weird that a couple hours' exposure to it again brought back the old stresses.  All I can say is -- I am so damned happy to be OUT. 

Thanks for the check in @Odiedog859!  Good to hear things are on track.  And no worries -- the IRP aren't allowed here.  ;)

Sorry about your bad news on the health insurance @MoMan, but congrats that this might move your date up.  Excellent!

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2228 on: April 12, 2019, 07:35:43 AM »
Last night we were working on resignation letters, and both of us started to panic a bit.  It feels insane to throw away two pretty good incomes at jobs that are basically fine.  About 1-2 years ago we used our near-FIRE status to move into roles at work that are a better fit and lower stress, so work has been pretty manageable for a while now.  And soon after we quit our certifications will expire (can't maintain them without working) and we'll be unemployable in our field.  Setting up my consulting gig to hold onto my certifications has run into a few snags although it may still come through.
My rational side says that we'll be fine - we are down to a ~3% withdrawal rate and that doesn't count significant pension and Social Security income in 25-30 years.  However, part of my brain is still freaking out. 

Don't worry - we're going to give notice today.  It's also not like there's any surprise; we told our bosses and co-workers our plans months ago so giving notice is just a formality.  So there's no danger of another OMY (we hit 4% last June), but it's still scarier than I had anticipated. 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2229 on: April 12, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »
So I went out yesterday with some former co-workers.  It was great to see them, but it was also strangely stressful.  They are all still fully in work mode, and were commiserating about this or that crummy work situation.  They're happy for me, but I got quite a few quizzical looks when I told them what I'm up to these days.  I am on such a different wavelength now that I really felt like an outsider.  And then last night I slept poorly.  I had a nightmare that I was back at work dealing with X, Y, and Z emergencies.  That was unexpected.  I've barely thought about work at all since FIREing, and it's so weird that a couple hours' exposure to it again brought back the old stresses.  All I can say is -- I am so damned happy to be OUT. 

This illustrates so well why working can be bad for your health. Good for you that you are out.
I think that maybe you shouldn't meet your colleagues in that setting anymore. You have become an outsider when they talk about things that are currently happening at Corp. Even meeting one and one could be awkward if the only thing you have in common to talk about is that job. But meeting some years later when everyone is in other jobs, could be nice. It is also different if you would meet with an ex co-worker who you had other subjects to talk about.
And your co-workers are a bit stressed themselves if they use a beer drinking session after working hours to talk about work. Same as people who can only talk about work in the lunch break. So annoying.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2230 on: April 12, 2019, 04:37:00 PM »

I read your blog post where you say you be okay losing your $1300 deposit if you haven't gotten rid of everything by checkout day. Why not just get a storage until for a year for that money? Buys you time to realize you don't need that stuff or discover that the nomad life isn't for you.

Last year leading up to my date I was wide awake almost every night from 3-5am. I ended up not actually leaving and am currently in OMY. We'll see how it goes this summer, but I feel much more ready to go at this point.

I really, truly, do not have an attachment to my stuff at all.  Most of it is old and should've been replaced years ago if we didn't have this plan.  I'm positive it's the process of getting rid of everything that's overwhelming, and not losing the things themselves that is causing the issues.  Even still, I'm reasonably sure we'll be able to get it done, partly because I'm too cheap to waste a grand.  lol  We have a lot of neighborhood scavengers, so that's helping a fair amount since I can just set things out by the curb and watch things disappear.

The awake in the middle of the night thing is so weird to me.  I understand not being able to get to sleep.  That makes sense.  But once I'm there, just stay asleep dammit!  I downloaded a couple of guided meditations, so I'm hoping that will help quiet my mind a bit for this last week of work.  Last week of work!  Boy, that feels good to say.  :)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2231 on: April 14, 2019, 05:07:28 PM »
Well, looks like I might be a bit late to wish a big CONGRATULATIONS to @Loren Ver since you're on the road already, but I'm assuming you'll see this eventually.  Wooo!

Thank you Eric, I finally did see it!!  I'm sorry your stuff is giving you stress.  Just slowly keep putting things outside and watch them go.  I find having too many things to become stressful in general, so I can't imagine 99.8% becoming too much in such a short period of time.

DH and I completed our victory lap and are home safely.  We had a great trip, but are happy to be back.  It was a lot of miles.

To all those that made it while i was gone, congrats.  To the OMX good luck to you!!

To the newbies or lurkers, happy you are here!!

LV

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #2232 on: April 15, 2019, 08:32:30 AM »
So my wife and I sat down this weekend to crunch numbers and try out a variety of scenarios such as reducing to part time, etc. We ended up with my last day being August 30, which dovetails beautifully with Labor Day weekend!! The next day we leave for a week-long vacation in the Pacific Northwest. THAT, my friends, is how you celebrate Labor Day. So this shaves off about 7 weeks from my previous plan.

It wouldn't be a hardship to quit today but with managing account withdrawals, minimizing taxes and covering health insurance, continuing full time thru summer is the smoothest path. In 2 weeks I intend to tell my manager my plan, which gives the department 4 months to work around my departure. Only 2 others in my group know right now. I really don't think I can keep this joyful secret to myself much longer and I can't wait for everyone to know that I have a great big steaming pile of fuck you money stashed away.

I was very confident in my plan and my accumulated pile before my wife and I went through it in detail, but now I also have her complete confidence in my plan and she is totally on board. I've never been happier to be married to a CPA!

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2233 on: April 15, 2019, 08:58:16 AM »

-snip-

I was very confident in my plan and my accumulated pile before my wife and I went through it in detail, but now I also have her complete confidence in my plan and she is totally on board. I've never been happier to be married to a CPA!

Congratulations!  Having both your partner and CPA signing off on the plan is fantastic.  I love the Pacific Northwest, and I've had good luck with the weather around that time.  It's great that you have something to look forward to so you have a natural celebration when you're done. 

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #2234 on: April 15, 2019, 09:01:00 AM »
Thanks 20/20! I can't stop smiling.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2235 on: April 15, 2019, 06:22:24 PM »
Woohoo @MoMan .  That is so exciting!  Glad the wife is on board :)

Today was my first retired day at home.  If felt like I was playing hooky for my first day back.  Well. I assume this is what playing hooky felt like as I never actually did it before....

LV

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2236 on: April 15, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
Congrats MoMan, I can't stop smiling for you!

FIRE 20/20 When is your last day?

Today was my first retired day at home.  If felt like I was playing hooky for my first day back.  Well. I assume this is what playing hooky felt like as I never actually did it before....

Sounds fantastic! I have some PTO to burn before I give notice so I'm taking a week off at the end of April, I'm thinking of it as a test run of FIRE lol. Plan to just hang around the house puttering on projects and get used to the idea that it will be a permanent state soon.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2237 on: April 15, 2019, 07:07:50 PM »

A couple of my work friends are talking about coming to visit me in Mexico next winter, which sounds like great fun but it got me wondering. I think I'll make a rule that no one talks work in Mexico, see if they buy in to the idea.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2238 on: April 15, 2019, 09:24:26 PM »

A couple of my work friends are talking about coming to visit me in Mexico next winter, which sounds like great fun but it got me wondering. I think I'll make a rule that no one talks work in Mexico, see if they buy in to the idea.

Good luck with that! Haha

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2239 on: April 15, 2019, 09:52:19 PM »

It's complicated.  My last day in my current job is on the 26th, but quite a while ago I agreed to support a project that's happening from mid-June to mid-August.  Initially I planned to do so as a consultant, but some rule changes and issues with timing mean I will technically be taking personal leave from the 26th through mid-June and coming back as a MegaCorp employee. 

It's too long a story to get into right now, but I made a commitment to people I really respect and while it's going to be very intense work it'll also be rewarding.  There's a chance they may not need me and I made it very clear that would be ok with me! 

My partner is fully FIREing on the 26th; we'll see if I join her just for the month of May or if the 26th is actually my last day for good.  I'm still planning to set up a consulting company to keep my certifications valid for a couple of years, but in my industry there are regular 6 week projects that need a specific set of skills that I have.  If I do 1-2 a year then I'll still consider myself FIREd.  And 12 weeks of work will get very close to covering our expenses for the full year, so it'll be worthwhile from that perspective.  I can't imagine doing it for more than 2 years or so. 

For now I want to stay on the list for the 26th.  If they say I'm not needed then I'll claim FIRE then even if I do a little consulting over the next few years.  If they want me to support the program then I'll move my date to mid-August.  Either way I have some good trips planned and a list of activities lines up between April 26 and mid-June. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2240 on: April 16, 2019, 06:32:03 AM »
Congrats @MoMan!  Got you updated ^.  Fantastic! 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2241 on: April 17, 2019, 06:34:29 AM »
You're almost there @Eric . . . . 3, 2, 1 . . . !

How are you doing?

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2242 on: April 17, 2019, 07:56:04 AM »
Filed retirement paperwork yesterday - date is confirmed as 5/31.

I actually told my boss a few weeks ago - she's still trying to convince me to stay a few months longer as "it is not a good time for her for me to leave at the end of May" - I said no - she's not happy.  The reason I gave her so much notice is because she was talking to me about all these massive projects she wanted me doing later in 2019 and I had to let her know, for her planning purposes, that it would not be me. She even let me know I could pull my retirement paperwork up until the last day - Fat Chance!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2243 on: April 17, 2019, 08:45:26 AM »

I actually told my boss a few weeks ago - she's still trying to convince me to stay a few months longer as "it is not a good time for her for me to leave at the end of May" - I said no - she's not happy.  The reason I gave her so much notice is because she was talking to me about all these massive projects she wanted me doing later in 2019 and I had to let her know, for her planning purposes, that it would not be me. She even let me know I could pull my retirement paperwork up until the last day - Fat Chance!

Hold strong against the OMW, OMM and OMY!
There is NEVER a good time to let someone go, except for layoffs at the employers whim, even then the direct manager would probably disagree, privately..

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2244 on: April 17, 2019, 09:27:17 AM »

Hold strong against the OMW, OMM and OMY!
There is NEVER a good time to let someone go, except for layoffs at the employers whim, even then the direct manager would probably disagree, privately..

Thanks - No wavering on my part - my timing was to meet my needs, not hers.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2245 on: April 17, 2019, 01:10:21 PM »
Congrats MoMan, I can't stop smiling for you!

Sounds fantastic! I have some PTO to burn before I give notice so I'm taking a week off at the end of April, I'm thinking of it as a test run of FIRE lol. Plan to just hang around the house puttering on projects and get used to the idea that it will be a permanent state soon.

I think PTO is a great idea.  Get use to the good life :).

@Eric Did you manage to get rid of your stuff?

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2246 on: April 17, 2019, 02:49:54 PM »
You're almost there @Eric . . . . 3, 2, 1 . . . !

How are you doing?

@Eric Did you manage to get rid of your stuff?

Thanks for checking in on me.  Everything is moving forward and I'm doing mostly fine, I guess.  It's weird though because I barely feel anything, like I'm sleepwalking through this.  Which is probably partially true, due to my lack of quality sleep over the last few months.  But shouldn't I be excited or something?  I really thought I'd be excited, but it's just not there.  WTF, right?  I've been extremely focused on this date since I found MMM 6+ years ago and now that it's here.....basically nothing.  Not sure what to make of it.

The stuff is slowly decumulating from my apartment.  The weekends have been reasonably productive on this front, so that makes me think I'll be able to get everything done between Friday and the end of the month when I have 11 days with no work.  Oh! I found the copy of my lease and learned that my security deposit was only $800, not $1300 as I previously thought, so there's even less at stake.  That made me feel better, even though I doubt it will come to that.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2247 on: April 17, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »
Feelings are feelings and they can be complicated.  I didn't feel as excited about it as I thought I would, I was thinking a lot about what I was leaving behind.  Pretty bittersweet overall. 

I'm glad you are getting through the stuff.  Each thing that leaves is weight off your shoulders.

LV

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2248 on: April 17, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
@Eric -- I agree with LV -- feelings are feelings.  I had some weird days too, where things were very surreal.  You're making great progress.  Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.  Once you can get some sleep I predict you'll feel like a new person. 

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2249 on: April 17, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »
Greetings and admiration to the 2019 cohort! I've been lurking but have decided to dip my toes in the water in consideration of picking a 2019 FIRE date. I see that the water here is fine!

Yesterday, I posted a Case Study seeking input on whether to keep grinding or coast and have been surprised at the responses. Surprised enough to consider joining this cohort. I'm currently at a 3.6% withdrawal rate for my very lean annual spending plus estimated cost for a bronze level healthcare.gov plan. There's a high likelihood that I would continue to pursue income for some extra buffer, however in a much reduced capacity. Would you still have me in your cohort if that were the case?