Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793077 times)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2000 on: March 12, 2019, 06:39:36 AM »
I will have a pension (state government) which provides for all my essential expenses which I will draw on right away.

My personal savings in an IRA (and a modest amount of Social Security in a few years) provides for extras (wants, not needs).

That is a sweet situation @Livingthedream55 .  My MIL also retired with a generous state pension a few years ago.  I have a friend who will be retiring soon with a county pension, also quite generous. 

I've read that some counties and states have had to trim back their benefits in order to keep the pension funds solvent.  I suppose it all depends on how well the fund was managed over the years.   

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2001 on: March 12, 2019, 06:56:17 AM »
I will have a pension (state government) which provides for all my essential expenses which I will draw on right away.

My personal savings in an IRA (and a modest amount of Social Security in a few years) provides for extras (wants, not needs).

That is a sweet situation @Livingthedream55 .  My MIL also retired with a generous state pension a few years ago.  I have a friend who will be retiring soon with a county pension, also quite generous. 

I've read that some counties and states have had to trim back their benefits in order to keep the pension funds solvent.  I suppose it all depends on how well the fund was managed over the years.

@Trifele   Yes, very true. We have had benefits trimmed for younger workers. The state legislature keeps chipping away at it. As a retiree, I am also able to stay in the state employee group health insurance pool (paying only 25% of the monthly premium) until age 65. Without that, my retirement would not be possible.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2002 on: March 12, 2019, 07:06:57 AM »
what your path was to $2.6mil -- i.e., asset allocation and such? Were you maxing TSP from the get-go? How many years have you been a fed employee?

I've been there 26 1/2 years.  If I recall correctly we couldn't sign up for TSP for the first 6 months or so, but can't remember why.  Probably just the man trying to keep me down ;).  It's been 100% in the C fund (S&P 500) from the start.  I figured the pension was the safe part, so the TSP could be more risky.  I was mostly maxed out, but I wasn't always on top of upping the amount as the limits increased.  Back in the 90s you could only do 10% of your salary.  I started at 27k salary, so it was slow going for awhile.  My wife is about 30% higher than me in investments.  She had more aggressive options available and is clobbering me even though she started her 401k two years after I did.  Our salaries have been pretty similar through the years. 

Although I don't talk about money at work some people do and it surprises me how many with similar or more years working with the same or higher salary have less in their Thrift.  It seems that for most it was from moving to the G fund (bonds) when the market was shaky and not getting back in soon enough.  For 10 years I couldn't even remember how to access my account, so I wasn't moving anything.

Amazing, and totally makes sense! Yep, when I started you couldn't contribute to TSP until after your probationary year. And yep, we couldn't contribute the max, either. It was 10%, and then started going up to 11%, 12%, 13% . . . until they finally got their heads out of their asses and let us contribute the IRS max. I, too, was 100% C Fund early on, but about mid-career, I diversified into the other funds. I stayed aggressive until about 2010 or so, when I started ratcheting down from 90% equities, to 80%, to 70% and eventually to 60/40 about 4 years ago. Then a year ago, with retirement so close and market valuations so damn high, I decided to drop to 50/50 (I ratcheted back up to 55/45 after the near 20% drop last quarter). TSP sits at @$790k, and I have a Roth IRA and other savings and accounts that put me around $850k. I'm finishing out my high-3 as a maxed out GS-15 (also LEO, and 6 years prior military) so I'll be going out with 42% plus the SRS for the first 8 years of retirement. Like you, I've got a wife (younger by 7 years) who won't be retiring any time soon, who also makes $100k+. Barring world collapse, I should be sitting pretty in retirement (esp. after I start collecting SS).

For a guy who's been 100% equities for 26 years, I'm amazed that you've been so conservative re: pulling the plug on work with your pension and level of assets!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 09:01:04 AM by dude »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2003 on: March 12, 2019, 07:13:27 AM »

@Trifele   Yes, very true. We have had benefits trimmed for younger workers. The state legislature keeps chipping away at it. As a retiree, I am also able to stay in the state employee group health insurance pool (paying only 25% of the monthly premium) until age 65. Without that, my retirement would not be possible.

Ltd55 -- yep, same here. Fed employees pay roughly 25% of FEHB premiums as well. Small price to pay for a Cadillac plan. And fortunately, FERS is solvent as far out as the eye can see (past 2094, last I read). Which is why it pisses me off so much when fuckhead politicians talk about cutting back on FERS benefits -- fuck you, that shit was paid for year after year by both me and my agency for the 22+ years I worked here, and there's no point in my lifetime when it'll ever run out of money.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #2004 on: March 12, 2019, 07:38:56 AM »
So, in a shocking good news/bad news turn of events, my manager took me aside yesterday to describe a pending re-org. The re-org would be terrible for me, which wasn't lost on her. In a good news scenario, I've had a helluva time walking away from a great team, and even better manager. The team would still be mine to manage. The manager.... yeah, no. That's over.

I've struggled so much with my deeply rooted feelings of "doing the right thing" and responsibility to my team,my peers, my managers, the business. This was a fantastic reminder to prioritize yourself, because the business will be appropriately always prioritizing for what they need.

Next steps: I plan to politely decline the role today, with my manager. I don't expect this to come as a surprise. I will offer up the option of transitioning through my sabbatical (mid-May) & then allowing the new management structure to come up with a better leadership structure that doesn't include me. I have soft verbal commitments that they would like to offer me something I do want (potentially part-time), should this not be a fit. I'll pursue that, maybe.

I've had such an emotional roller coaster on my own decision making for post sabbatical. The role I have now will be gone in a month or so, which is putting more pressure on me to finalize my post sabbatical decision. But, in many ways, I'm thrilled I don't have the old role clutch to rely on anymore.

I've worked a lot on staying calm during difficult conversations, & was able to deploy that, not once, but twice yesterday. :-)

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2005 on: March 12, 2019, 10:35:23 AM »
I've worked a lot on staying calm during difficult conversations, & was able to deploy that, not once, but twice yesterday. :-)

Well done MaybeBabyMustache, that is a very important skill to master.

And congratulations on getting the nudge you needed to leave the nest. I hope it works out perfectly for you.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2006 on: March 12, 2019, 10:52:02 AM »
+1^.  Hang in there, @MaybeBabyMustache.   Sounds like you will handle the roller coaster ride just fine, but we're here for you too. 

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2007 on: March 12, 2019, 11:08:34 AM »
So, in a shocking good news/bad news turn of events, my manager took me aside yesterday to describe a pending re-org. The re-org would be terrible for me, which wasn't lost on her. In a good news scenario, I've had a helluva time walking away from a great team, and even better manager. The team would still be mine to manage. The manager.... yeah, no. That's over.

...snip...

You put yourself in a good position, and it looks like it was a really good move on your part!

You got this!

LV

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2008 on: March 12, 2019, 11:56:24 AM »
I got a PM from BlindSquirrel that s/he is now in TBD status.  Exact words were "I lack the nuts" -- ha ha.

While I don't really want to laugh at someone's situation that would cause them to delay retirement, this is utterly hilarious!

Side note - next time you update the list Trifele, you can add my age.  I'm 42 and proud of it!  :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2009 on: March 12, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
I got a PM from BlindSquirrel that s/he is now in TBD status.  Exact words were "I lack the nuts" -- ha ha.

While I don't really want to laugh at someone's situation that would cause them to delay retirement, this is utterly hilarious!

I know . . . I laughed out loud!  [ETA: @Blindsquirrel knows we're not laughing about his or her situation-- just the joke.  We hope all is well and you can rejoin us soon BlindSquirrel!]   

Got your age added Eric.  And yes you should be proud!  Well done.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 12:29:55 PM by Trifele »

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2010 on: March 12, 2019, 06:55:12 PM »
I'm 4/1 but won't be that day, bonus isn't coming until 3/31 and didn't want to risk it.  I'm only working part time, tempted to keep this gig as long as I can take my long vacations and have health insurance mostly paid for.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2011 on: March 12, 2019, 10:24:40 PM »
That doesn’t surprise me. DW and I have been discussing this these past days ie: when we FIRE is not a stretch to imagine we travel less rather than more. These days we often feel the need to escape, maybe we won’t post FIRE. Time will tell.

I suspect people like traveling because traveling is correlated with not working, and they can't tell the difference, i.e. they actually enjoy the not working part rather than the traveling part. With the caveat that traveling keeps you busy/active. Then when you FIRE the urge to escape [work] with travel evaporates.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2012 on: March 12, 2019, 10:42:21 PM »
Congrats everyone! All this rapid-FIRE is pretty motivating to read.

I re-read livingafi quit series linked above... I think more and more I don't want a sabbatical, part-time, remote options... just quitting, which I can. I'd do the 6 month leave for practical purposes but would only come back if there is a major crash in the meantime.

I also came back from 2 weeks vacation and feel pretty great. Can't wait! and can't believe this is real

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2013 on: March 13, 2019, 05:01:57 AM »
Ohhh I love rapid-FIRE @gerardc.  My mental image of what is going on has now very much shifted.

I am retiring at the same time as someone is being made redundant. My leaving is a celebration, his is far more bitter.  He is just shy of 30 years with the company, but I think they will nudge him over the edge since he is so close.  Talking to him, he doesn't think he is financially ready to go, but he also knows that he is too experienced and too specialized that no one near here will hire him.    He recently got remarried and how has kids in grade school again. 

I just learned that his pension is more than my stashe, but I am also not putting 3 kids through college with 2 more at home. 

Thinking on this, my DH and I accumulated a pile about equal to his pension in ~13 years compared to his ~30 years.  Neither way is a bad way to go, but putting in 30 years seems like a really long time to me.

LV

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2014 on: March 13, 2019, 05:23:55 AM »
Congrats everyone! All this rapid-FIRE is pretty motivating to read.

I re-read livingafi quit series linked above... I think more and more I don't want a sabbatical, part-time, remote options... just quitting, which I can. I'd do the 6 month leave for practical purposes but would only come back if there is a major crash in the meantime.

I also came back from 2 weeks vacation and feel pretty great. Can't wait! and can't believe this is real

My feeling exactly!  Verbal notice happens Friday, official letter on Monday.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2015 on: March 13, 2019, 06:11:55 AM »
I'm 4/1 but won't be that day, bonus isn't coming until 3/31 and didn't want to risk it.  I'm only working part time, tempted to keep this gig as long as I can take my long vacations and have health insurance mostly paid for.

Thanks for the check in JoJo!  Are things totally up in the air now/TBD? 

BTW, I checked out your journal and blog and WOW are you my travel hero.  Major applause. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2016 on: March 13, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »

Thanks for the check in JoJo!  Are things totally up in the air now/TBD? 

BTW, I checked out your journal and blog and WOW are you my travel hero.  Major applause.

Yeah, retirement date is up in the air.  I think I will stay on until at least Sept, unless I have an opportunity to be laid off (not likely).

I told my boss my vacation schedule for the year under my part time deal and it's tentatively accepted.

2 days off in April for a travel blogger conference
1 tentative week in April to visit Oregon
4 weeks in May to visit family (some family events happening)
8 weeks in July-Aug to drive up to BC, Yukon, NWT, and Alaska
1 week in Sept in Montana
8 weeks in Oct-Dec in South America, incl 3 week cruise to Antarctica and South Georgia Islands. (will be 9 weeks if I don't take the Oregon trip in April. 

If I quit, it will likely be before the South America trip and I will stay in South America indefinitely.   The other alternative would be before Alaska trip. 

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2017 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:50 PM »
Wow JoJo, it looks like you have a really fun year planned! Enjoy.

Was told at work today that they are planning a retirement party for me at the end of May, so sweet! My culture project is keeping me busy all day working with some of my favorite people on fun things for the team. I really couldn't ask for a better way to end my career with only 100 days left to FIRE.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:45:22 PM by Parizade »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2018 on: March 14, 2019, 06:10:32 AM »
@exit2019 -- are you still on track for wrapping up tomorrow?  Or did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse?   :)

And @Half Stached -- your big day is tomorrow!  How are you feeling?   
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:12:47 AM by Trifele »

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #2019 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:16 AM »
Three more work days for me.  This is the first morning I've woken up and realized I'm going to make it!  :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2020 on: March 14, 2019, 07:11:56 AM »
Three more work days for me.  This is the first morning I've woken up and realized I'm going to make it!  :)

Yes!!!!!!!    The next chapter is about to begin.  May your last few days at work be smooth and happy.  :)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2021 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:04 AM »

WOOHOO!

So close!!

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2022 on: March 14, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »

Congratulations!  That must have been a great feeling!

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2023 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »

Congratulations!  That must have been a great feeling!

I agree, I'm so looking forward to that moment when it finally feels real.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2024 on: March 14, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
Holy crap ladies and gentlemen...I start the process tomorrow.

Verbally start telling people (including direct boss) tomorrow and people that deserve to know before it goes public before the end of the weekend.  Official notice gets emailed to boss Monday AM.  Over/under on how many days they want me to stay stands at 4 days.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2025 on: March 14, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »
Good luck @chasesfish!   If you get walked out, then that's great -- FIRE starts immediately!  Let us know how it goes.   

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2026 on: March 14, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
Holy crap ladies and gentlemen...I start the process tomorrow.

Verbally start telling people (including direct boss) tomorrow and people that deserve to know before it goes public before the end of the weekend.  Official notice gets emailed to boss Monday AM.  Over/under on how many days they want me to stay stands at 4 days.

Yikes! What a weekend you have planned!

This is like watching a row of dominos falling, only I'm one of the dominos enviously waiting my turn.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2027 on: March 14, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »
Good luck @chasesfish!  Ohh hoo!!

DH gave notice today.  Awkwardness ensued when his boss came to talk to him before he got the email and said "you seem pretty happy, are you leaving or something."

:D

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2028 on: March 14, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »
This is like watching a row of dominos falling, only I'm one of the dominos enviously waiting my turn.

I love this!  That would make a great signature, at least for a little while. 

While everyone at work already knows I'm retiring soon, I haven't given formal notice.  A few things need to sort themselves out first, but assuming they do I'm planning to give 5 weeks notice on March 25th .  I am a little jealous of people who expect to be walked out after giving notice, but that just doesn't happen where I work.  I don't think they'll make an exception for me.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2029 on: March 14, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »

I love this!  That would make a great signature, at least for a little while. 

While everyone at work already knows I'm retiring soon, I haven't given formal notice.  A few things need to sort themselves out first, but assuming they do I'm planning to give 5 weeks notice on March 25th .  I am a little jealous of people who expect to be walked out after giving notice, but that just doesn't happen where I work.  I don't think they'll make an exception for me.

Thanks Fire 20/20. I was jealous last year when older workers in another area were being offered early retirement packages in anticipation of impending layoffs. First time I ever wished for a layoff. For better or worse my department was growing like crazy so I knew I was stuck. It's still growing like crazy!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2030 on: March 14, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »
Looking more and more like it won't be 2019 for me.  Assignment in Paris is going well, a lot of freedom to be home with the family in Houston and then work and stay in the apartment in Paris when needed.  This will probably wrap up in July or August.  Collecting expat pay and Skymiles in the meantime, and I really do enjoy working with my French colleagues (learning the language, exploring the country), but there are also the Yellow Vest protests and I'll never be a local...  Anyway, the nail in the coffin on ER plans came this month with a generous Long Term Incentive award.  If I'm around in 2022, or get made redundant or basically anything other than quit, then I'm in for 75k x 1.5.  Even if I don't need the money, I wouldn't mind having control over dispensing it to charities.  I have had so much fun this year giving away more significant than usual amounts of money in the form of tips and charitable donations that folks did not expect, that I could tell really appreciated it.  I can see how great it would be to make it a full time job giving away money effectively.  I may not be at a Bill Gates level, but another 112.5k would be nice!  Here's to hoping work won't begin to suck in the next few years.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2031 on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:07 AM »
That sounds like a very cool job situation EscapeVelocity . . . Let us know if things head unexpectedly south and you decide to pull the plug.  In the meantime, enjoy!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2032 on: March 15, 2019, 07:53:13 AM »
@Half Stached

Is today the day? Congratulations!!

TheSinner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2033 on: March 15, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
Looking more and more like it won't be 2019 for me.  Assignment in Paris is going well, a lot of freedom to be home with the family in Houston and then work and stay in the apartment in Paris when needed...
Sounds like a great situation. I'd probably stay for a bit as well, as long as you're having fun and there are no real downsides.

DH gave notice today.  Awkwardness ensued when his boss came to talk to him before he got the email and said "you seem pretty happy, are you leaving or something." :D
Haha.
"Now that you mention it... Sounds like a good idea!"

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2034 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but can’t help but wonder if I’m not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  I’m still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.  It’s a little frustrating to get to this point later in life, my 20’s and 30’s were pretty miserable at work and for much less.  Got me to FI faster (and allowed my wife to become a SAHP some 13 years ago), but that was the only upside.  To those on the cusp of ER, cheers and congrats!  I’ll get there eventually

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2035 on: March 15, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but can’t help but wonder if I’m not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  I’m still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.  It’s a little frustrating to get to this point later in life, my 20’s and 30’s were pretty miserable at work and for much less.  Got me to FI faster (and allowed my wife to become a SAHP some 13 years ago), but that was the only upside.  To those on the cusp of ER, cheers and congrats!  I’ll get there eventually

You have to love life on your own terms.

Terminating a blossoming career is a big decision and you of course want to be sure that the alternative works for you and your family.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2036 on: March 15, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
...snip....I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it. ...snip....

This sounds like many OMY rationalizations.  Some may be true for some people.

I had a fun job, great coworkers, upper tier bosses, but I found myself at work, looking at the FIRE spreadsheet (and the MMM fora) and wondering if there wasn't a greener pasture out there.

There is....

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2037 on: March 15, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
Only 14 more working days!  I am sitting here in my part of the world enjoying a 70+ degree spring day and am so ready to go.

@itchyfeet "You have to love life on your own terms. " - This is my new mantra!

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2038 on: March 15, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »
...snip....I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it. ...snip....

I had a fun job, great coworkers, upper tier bosses, but I found myself at work, looking at the FIRE spreadsheet (and the MMM fora) and wondering if there wasn't a greener pasture out there.

There is....

+1. 112k for 3 years doesn't seem like much compared to the opportunity cost.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2039 on: March 15, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »

There is....

He's getting paid to live in Paris.  Let's not shed any tears here.  lol

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2040 on: March 15, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but can’t help but wonder if I’m not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  I’m still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.

This is awesome.  I'm genuinely very happy for you that you're in this position (despite what's coming next, I really mean that!).  I do take issue with the framing of most folks who post about their wonderful retirement, however.  I'm not there yet (about 25 more working days!), but I have a great job that pays very well.  I have great management, excellent peers, and a fantastic team who works for me.  I think the work I've done throughout my career really matters, and I feel like I've made significant contributions.  However, I realize that the next year of my life is the youngest and probably the healthiest, most potential-filled year I have left on this planet.  I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  Will my family and friends be thankful that I spent my time in this cubicle, this office, or this conference room instead of with them?  Will I look back on this business decision - no matter how great it is - with as much happiness as I will look back on any of a hundred other things I could do today?  I've posted a lot about how terrified I am of shutting off the firehose of money they're spraying at me, but even stronger than that terror is the knowledge that I have a limited time to do the things I want to do in life and *this year* could be the best or maybe even the only year I have left.  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2041 on: March 15, 2019, 08:20:27 PM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but can’t help but wonder if I’m not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  I’m still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.

This is awesome.  I'm genuinely very happy for you that you're in this position (despite what's coming next, I really mean that!).  I do take issue with the framing of most folks who post about their wonderful retirement, however.  I'm not there yet (about 25 more working days!), but I have a great job that pays very well.  I have great management, excellent peers, and a fantastic team who works for me.  I think the work I've done throughout my career really matters, and I feel like I've made significant contributions.  However, I realize that the next year of my life is the youngest and probably the healthiest, most potential-filled year I have left on this planet.  I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  Will my family and friends be thankful that I spent my time in this cubicle, this office, or this conference room instead of with them?  Will I look back on this business decision - no matter how great it is - with as much happiness as I will look back on any of a hundred other things I could do today?  I've posted a lot about how terrified I am of shutting off the firehose of money they're spraying at me, but even stronger than that terror is the knowledge that I have a limited time to do the things I want to do in life and *this year* could be the best or maybe even the only year I have left.  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life.

Thanks FIRE 20/20:  far more stirring than my "greener pastures ".
But I will have to admit that being paid to work in France is cool, as I've done that, but getting home is much sweeter.  The relief of being "feet wet" leaving French airspace was so great (long, tough job).

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2042 on: March 15, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »

There is....

Yeah, I'm not going to stick it out until 2022 just for the bonus, but it does make it easier.  I'm really on a roller coaster ride.  Once the Paris assignment wraps up, I'll still be on the project until 2022 and I enjoy the people I'm working with.  It's not easy to really get to know French people, especially if you don't speak the language.  But I want to ER early enough to still have a life.  Financial Samurai did an article on 45 being a great age to ER because you are still young enough to try a few new things but old enough to have enjoyed some peak earning and career progression.  I'll still be in a honeymoon phase when I get back to Houston and  through the end of 2019, so maybe I'll know what I want in 2020.  If I make it to 2021 though, then I'll probably hang in for 2022 - I'll be 48 years old and have one child in college.

Trying to have no regrets about this.  Honestly, even if I were to ER now, I'd really want to travel and it's tough to do with 2 kids in school.  My grand plan is to hit the road and see National Parks, with no real schedule or firm commitments.  Probably won't get to do that until the second child is in college.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2043 on: March 15, 2019, 08:52:11 PM »
I do take issue with the framing of most folks who post about their wonderful retirement, however. 

Sorry, it was just an opinion that I had, that I prefaced with 'I think'.  The next bit you talk about are also thoughts that I have -

However, I realize that the next year of my life is the youngest and probably the healthiest, most potential-filled year I have left on this planet.  I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  ...  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life.

Well said.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2044 on: March 15, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
@Half Stached

Is today the day? Congratulations!!

Today is/was the day!

WOOOHOOO!

The whole week I've been running around with a giant smile on my face. Everyone at work found out I was leaving on Monday, and I received a ton of appreciation from everyone for the impact I've had on them and their projects. It was very gratifying. Today we had a small party at a local bar in the afternoon and a bunch of people came to say goodbye. Interestingly, I told everyone I was retiring, and no one really blinked. The worst reaction I got from anyone was simply bald jealousy (which I could totally empathize with). There was no real disbelief or malice, which it sounds like many other FIRErs had to deal with.

I have to admit... right now I feel really drained. I got home around 4pm, have been a lump for the past 4 hours, and I think I'm going to go to sleep early.

Thank you to everyone here - I wouldn't be in this position today without discovering MMM and these forums 4 years ago. There has been such great advice and support - this is a great community. I am extremely grateful!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2045 on: March 16, 2019, 06:39:42 AM »
@Half Stached Woohoo!!!

Yesterday was verbal notice day to boss, went really well.   EVP finds out Sunday and they get my letter Monday morning.

Guess is it'll be eight days or so worth of work before I'm free.  Should go public on Monday then it'll be fun.  Sticking with the term retirement!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2046 on: March 16, 2019, 06:56:32 AM »
Congratulations @Half Stached !!!!   :)

And congrats @chasesfish on giving notice.  Next week at work should be really interesting!  Let me know when you know your last day is and we'll get your date updated.

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)        CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)         CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse           CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash                   CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)           CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)      CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                 CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)              CONFIRMED       
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/??/19     Edgema
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)   
04/19/19     Eric (42)
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude                              Date Confirmed
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
10/??/19     Cookie78
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:32:42 AM by Trifele »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #2047 on: March 16, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »
I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  Will my family and friends be thankful that I spent my time in this cubicle, this office, or this conference room instead of with them?  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life.

Very well said @FIRE 20/20.  My sentiments exactly.   

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2048 on: March 16, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »

DH gave notice today.  Awkwardness ensued when his boss came to talk to him before he got the email and said "you seem pretty happy, are you leaving or something." :D
Haha.
"Now that you mention it... Sounds like a good idea!"

Ohh, that is good!!  You so clever!

@Half Stached Congrats.  Enjoy your well earned sleep!!

Love this.  Thank you for putting my thoughts into such great words ;).  I too like my coworkers and job, but there is so much I can't do while sitting in an office.

@EscapeVelocity2020 , the opportunity sounds wonderful and one of the main tenets of this arena is you doing what is right for you, even if most of us are doing something else.  You are the one that needs to live that life, we just have opinions to share.  Enjoy it what ever it is!

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #2049 on: March 16, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
Many congratulations to all you 2019 FIREees! 

I never put myself in this cohort because deep down I didn't believe it would actually happen for me, I'm not sure why.   But there is no point in denying it any longer.  I gave 8 weeks notice to my employer in early November, but they didn't look for find a replacement until late January, so things dragged on longer than I had hoped.  I've been working part time training the the new person since that point, but things are now progressing along well to where I'm working just about 10 hours per week now.  They offered me a permanent part-time position working from home and making my own schedule at about 40-50 hours per month; and the insecure side of me couldn't turn it down.  No real regrets, though.  It will be enough to cover all of my normal costs of living without tapping into investments, except possibly for unexpected larger expenses.  So I will be FIRE at a SWR of 0% for now.

Yesterday was my husband's last day at his job, so I'm officially calling it.....we are FIRED!!!!!  Now it feels like the real thing.  Next week's weather forecast is looking like perfect spring weather, so we'll be hiking with our dogs, working in the yard, taking on our household to-do list, enjoying picnic lunches and laughing giddily at our wonderful good fortune.   We are so grateful to have been able to pull this off!  It is a fantastic feeling that I can't even describe, but I wish it for every one of you who can't quite yet pull the trigger.  It's more than worth every little sacrifice we made along the way.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!