Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793048 times)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1700 on: January 23, 2019, 12:16:31 AM »

My only issue right now is dragging my ass through yet another day at the office. Ugh. I work in a cubicle, but my cube is in a very remote corner of the floor where no one visits. Being an introvert, this is ideal. (Rumor is that the company will be renovating our floor and replacing our shoulder-height cube walls with the very low “open office” structures. I can’t get out of here soon enough!). Even better, we are allowed to work from home 2 days a week. And I’ll be honest, I am being given very little work to do these days (but the work I do get is completed quickly and accurately; I just haven’t raised my hand to ask for more). So I can do whatever I want for the 8 hours a day I’m home as long as I am close enough to hear the dreaded “ding” of a new email message being delivered. So it kind of feels like I’m already transitioned to part time. Only 106 more “cubicle” days! Tick-tock. Carry on.

I am sitting in this very open landscape thing, without any kind of walls between the desks. So no privacy or sound protection at all, apart from a pair anti-sound producing headphones. We do have real walls between the groups of desks though, which means the sounds that are made and reflecting between the walls. DH who knows acoustics thinks this is a really bad way to design an open office.
I am also an introvert and are not very pleased by the fact that we need to OMY it, in practice a little more than 1,5 year. We keep working 80% to make it more bearable. Couldn't you do that and still fulfil the requirements for your health care plan?

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1701 on: January 23, 2019, 05:03:06 AM »
The only reason I’m gutting it out is for company-sponsored retiree health care. If you are 55+ and have 10+ years of service, you can stay on the company plan for the rest of your life (you have to pay the premiums yourself). For some of the more fortunate long-term employees, the company subsidizes the premiums based on years of service. PLUS, I can add my wife to the policy later on.
. . .
My only issue right now is dragging my ass through yet another day at the office. Ugh.

Sounds like you have a rock solid plan @MoMan.  Oh hell yes I would gut it out longer for a health insurance deal like that. 

Strategies that helped me get through the last 9 months:

--  Mentally breaking the time up into smaller units, i.e. telling myself "only two weeks until my next day off", or "only two weeks until [insert cool thing we were planning to do]"

--  Using all my PTO

--  Finding ways to stay busy at work (so the time passes quickly).  Careful here -- As you point out, you don't want to take on any more long term or stressful work.  So the trick is to get short term interesting things to do.  I found that offering to help other people with their work was a good strategy.  They have the overall responsibility which I wanted to avoid, but I stayed busy playing some interesting secondary role to fill my time.  And it made them happy.  Win-win-win.

--  Taking mental breaks at work to do things completely non-work related.  My go-to activity was travel planning.  I enjoy that, and you can fill lots of time with it.  I also spent time learning about new and interesting things.  YMMV on this one if others can see your computer screen in an open-style office.

--  Volunteering for/finagling your way into as many out-of-the-office activities as you can.  Conferences for the win. 

--  Talking to people (more than I normally would).  I'm fairly introverted too, but I enjoyed this.

--  Tried to:  Stay busy with interesting and fun things in my non-work hours; stay fully connected with family; exercise regularly and get good sleep.

--  Rinsed and repeated.

You'll get there!  You've got it. 

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1702 on: January 23, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
Great suggestions from Trifele.  One thing I would add is that if you concentrate too much on the future and just getting through you WILL go crazy.  Over these last weeks / months you need to find enjoyment where you can and cling to it.  What worked for me was to make sure there was at least one small good thing about every day and make that the last thing I thought about at night.  You will get there whatever happens so concentrate on getting there happy.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #1703 on: January 23, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
Yes, great suggestions Trifele and PhilB! I hope I didn't paint myself as being depressed because I'm definitely not. I'm super excited about the next phase of my life. Just bored with work which feels increasingly pointless. I'm good at entertaining myself but it does get a little challenging in the office. Fortunately l'm not very visible right now, so no one is checking on my screen. A couple of years ago, I got assigned to a new manager, which made a world of difference. My former incompetent manager got fired last summer, and my annoying always-the-victim coworker, who coughed up a lung on a weekly basis, got laid off not long after.

Yes, I play all sorts of mind games to keep me focused and positive. One of my faves is thinking about the time left and comparing that quantity of time in the past: "Nine months to go seems like an eternity; but think about the past nine months and how fast that went." I also spend a lot of time mentally planning the dozens (hundreds?) of projects I plan to tackle, or what I can do to improve recently finished projects. I think I'm going to be as busy as I care to be for years to come.

There is one mental state that I feel I need to constantly combat: The idea that life will be magically different once I pull the plug. I'm pretty sure it won't be. Here's kind of what I mean: Think back to the time as you approached some of your big life goals, like graduating from school. I imagined how fantastic it would be to never have to do homework or get a teacher's permission to go to the bathroom, etc. But the reality was, yes, life was different but not to the extent I fantasized it would be. I need to constantly remind myself that there will still be days when I have to do things I don't feel like doing; days when I will be bored; projects that will frustrate me; people who will annoy me, etc. As long as I stay aware of that it should help keep expectations in check. It's all good!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1704 on: January 23, 2019, 12:53:03 PM »
I went out and got drunk tonight..... all on my lonesome.

This definitely feels like the biggest decision of my life.

Today i modelled a scenario with what I want to spend until I’m 75 and then a15% reduction in spending from there on. Probability of success equals 93%, plus add on the probability of death before I run out of $$ , and maybe some social security or inheritance....

Good enough for me...... except I’d love an extra few $$$ to have more choice of housing....

I fail at ER101. I just don’t know what is enough.

Previously I was going to rely on DW to tidy up the edges, but now that has changed with DW saying no work for her either post me FIREing  I need to be damn sure I am good to go.

I need to be 120% ok with my choice of houses, cars, food, ISP, clothes... everything!!

My CV and unusual career offers no 2nd chance at anything close to what I am paid today......

....... I just wished I finished my masters.... haha..... that hasn’t  mattered till now....ok, I am fearing the worst, but isn’t that kind of wat the 4% rule is about....

Ignore me, I’m a bit drunk 🥴

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1705 on: January 23, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Drink on, good sir, drink on. 

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1706 on: January 23, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
I'm in no hurry for time to go by.  It goes by too quickly as it is.  I try to just look forward to the closely approaching days off - i.e. the weekend.   Although, my summer vacation days start coming more into focus in June, which I spread out mostly through July and August.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1707 on: January 23, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
Anybody use the Pralana retirement calculator?  I use the free bronze edition and really like how it separates the buckets of savings depending on taxable status.  It uses a Monte Carlo simulation. 

I would love for everyone to pick it apart and tell me any flaws you see or why it might not be valid.  It has been my go-to calculator for the good detail and scenarios you can play with on one time expenses like a new car in 10 years or the possibility of an inheritance way down the road, etc, all inflation-adjusted.  The table output of the drawdown is great detail.     

http://pralanaretirementcalculator.com

I checked the link, clicked my way around, found screenshots and user manuals, but I never saw a download link for the free bronze version.

ETA:  Disregard.  Looks like the "Buy Now" button is how you get access to download for free.

ETA2:  Downloaded.  It complained about my old version of Excel on my home computer, but it opened up and appears that it might work.  I will have to spend some time with it to form any opinion.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:42:21 PM by DreamFIRE »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1708 on: January 24, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
--  Finding ways to stay busy at work (so the time passes quickly).  Careful here -- As you point out, you don't want to take on any more long term or stressful work.  So the trick is to get short term interesting things to do.  I found that offering to help other people with their work was a good strategy.  They have the overall responsibility which I wanted to avoid, but I stayed busy playing some interesting secondary role to fill my time.  And it made them happy.  Win-win-win.

I'd recommend completely ignoring your coworkers and just posting on the forum more.  Doing extra work is for people not retiring.  lol

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1709 on: January 24, 2019, 04:01:54 PM »

I'd recommend completely ignoring your coworkers and just posting on the forum more.  Doing extra work is for people not retiring.  lol

:)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1710 on: January 24, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »

Folks.  I related to this.  I feel like I'm playing a game of charades!  27 or so more work days to pull this off.

I cringed today when the new boss was excited about finding a deal to feed me

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1711 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:50 AM »
Speaking of charades, the theme this week at work has been co-workers trying to help me find a job.  No one at work knows my real situation.  Because I ended up getting rolled into a Megacorp layoff, and most people don't know I was leaving anyway, people assume I'm in desperate straits.  They mean very kindly.  I say "Thanks, I'm going to take a little time to look at my options."   And the responses are along the lines of "You can afford to do that?  Good for you."   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:51:36 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1712 on: January 25, 2019, 04:41:13 AM »
Speaking of charades, the theme this week at work has been co-workers trying to help me find a job.  No one at work knows my real situation.  Because I ended up getting rolled into a Megacorp layoff, and most people don't know I was leaving anyway, people assume I'm in desperate straits.  They mean very kindly.  I say "Thanks, I'm going to take a little time to look at my options."   And the responses are along the lines of "You can afford to do that?  Good for you."

That is really nice of them but also pretty awkward.  I would really struggle with that.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1713 on: January 25, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »

That is really awkward.  I have a former boss then co-worker that retired at 52, I've struggled twice now when his name has come up and his bipolar boss has turned the story into "I removed a non-performer", trying to deflect the fact said boss is a jerk to work for.   Fingers crossed on the charades, its so tough when you know others are being laid off and don't have the same ability

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1714 on: January 25, 2019, 05:18:16 AM »
Speaking of random/interesting issues leading up to FIRE...

My in-laws are wonderful people.  Mother in law is an insensate planner, everything planned and way in advance.  Father in law has a habit of "thinking out loud".   They were also in the camp of "okay with money".  They're boomers, so they worked hard and spent almost all their money on crap stuffed in their house.  They have some savings and a decent pension, but FIL worked until 68.

We've told them "we're trying to get closer" in 2019, mentioned me taking consulting work, trying to drop hints without outright telling them I'm retired.  They don't understand investments and we can't come out and tell them just how much money we have.  I have to keep my retirement under wraps for another seven weeks to not risk being terminated out of the bonus/rsu pool (trust my manager, but not that much when six figures are on the line).

Now this week my MIL is obsessively trying to figure out our travel schedule and flights for a wedding back home in May and has also scheduled a big trip that includes a 24 hour layover in October in the city we currently live in.  We've managed to hold off them scheduling trips here to visit so far, but this game is humorous and kind of exhausting.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1715 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:01 AM »
I was "outed" at work this week.  I told some of the key technical people about my plans to retire sometime in 2019/2020 (didn't give a date) when they joined my team over a year ago.  I wanted them to be aware of the possibility that I would be leaving when they made the decision to move onto the project I'm leading.  I knew I was taking the risk of it getting out to my management and I'm actually surprised that no one in leadership heard anything for a year.  Fortunately, after one found out I had great conversations about it with 3 of the 4 managers I report to.  The fourth still doesn't know, but he's at a different site and the least connected to what I do so I don't think he'll hear for a while.  All three expressed appreciation for the significant (4 months) notice, and they each promised that they wouldn't allow the information to change anything.  We'll see if they stick to that, but they're all ethical people who I trust. 
Fortunately with market gains, contributions, and a modest downward revision to the FIRE budget we're now at a ~3.4% withdrawal rate.  That low a WDR plus my plans to do a little consulting, Social Security in 20-30 years, two small pensions, and a likely inheritance make the plan pretty safe at this point.  If I feel like I'm getting pushed out or things turn ugly I can just move my date forward.  They need me a lot more than I need the paycheck, so my tolerance for BS can be extremely low at this point.

So lucky. Leadership found out I was thinking of leaving in six months and went desperate on me. Tried pressuring, guilt-tripping, begging, enticing. At the time, I had not even made a decision yet or given formal notice. That discomfort just kind of solidified things for me. I'm out of the 2019 cohort because I took another contract, but I just wanted to chime in to say I'm glad The Talk went well for you.

Not quite the same thing, but way back when I was approaching the end of my military service obligation. It was right during the lead up to Operation Desert Shield. I was the lead Petty Officer in my division. I told my superiors that I planned to separate from the Navy in August (about 4 months from then) when my time was up. They tried to persuade and cajole me into extending for six months saying they needed my experience on the upcoming tour (a Westpac to the Persian Gulf, which would have been my second). I told them it was out of the question, because I'd matriculated at my home state university for the Fall Semester. When their pleadings fell on my deaf ears, they got nasty. I got called out over the 1MC (loudspeaker system) to report to the fantail immediately, where I met my division officer (an idiot asshole of man) and the Department Head, and they proceeded to undress me about the state of the fantail (my division's area of responsibility). I was utterly waylaid and at a loss for words. A few minutes in, my Chief showed up and asked what the fuck was going on and why wasn't he contacted? He in turn laid into them and told me to hit the road. Classy, ballsy move by that guy. Shortly thereafter, I was presented with my performance evaluation, which rated me very poorly, a marked departure from years of Outstanding ratings. I was livid and threatened an outside investigation (forget the term used for it, but in essence, if you file such a claim, they bring in officers from other branches to investigate). They promptly backed down and let me serve out my remaining time, which was actually less time than I had left, because they granted me an early out of about two months. Why anybody in a leadership position would think that going negative on someone in this position is a good strategy I'll never understand.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1716 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:54 AM »
Oh yeah, and by the way, I officially filed for retirement yesterday, effective May 31 . . .

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1717 on: January 25, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »
Oh yeah, and by the way, I officially filed for retirement yesterday, effective May 31 . . .
@dude   Sweet - congrats!!!! 

I file my retirement paperwork in one week! 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1718 on: January 25, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
Congrats @dude!

Interesting date, which begs the question to the group.

If you were going to kick off FI(RE) with a leave of absence. Would you consider your exit day as your last day before the leave begins, or when the leave ends and you are no longer on the payroll/benefits of the employer?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1719 on: January 25, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »
last time you go in, unless you`re military, at which point you have an asterix hoping to his noodlyness no world war starts and they recall you.

So for you, last day before leave!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1720 on: January 25, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »
Snip....

So lucky. Leadership found out I was thinking of leaving in six months and went desperate on me. Tried pressuring, guilt-tripping, begging, enticing. At the time, I had not even made a decision yet or given formal notice. That discomfort just kind of solidified things for me. I'm out of the 2019 cohort because I took another contract, but I just wanted to chime in to say I'm glad The Talk went well for you.

Not quite the same thing, but way back when I was approaching the end of my military service obligation. It was right during the lead up to Operation Desert Shield. I was the lead Petty Officer in my division. I told my superiors that I planned to separate from the Navy in August (about 4 months from then) when my time was up. They tried to persuade and cajole me into extending for six months saying they needed my experience on the upcoming tour (a Westpac to the Persian Gulf, which would have been my second). I told them it was out of the question, because I'd matriculated at my home state university for the Fall Semester. When their pleadings fell on my deaf ears, they got nasty. I got called out over the 1MC (loudspeaker system) to report to the fantail immediately, where I met my division officer (an idiot asshole of man) and the Department Head, and they proceeded to undress me about the state of the fantail (my division's area of responsibility). I was utterly waylaid and at a loss for words. A few minutes in, my Chief showed up and asked what the fuck was going on and why wasn't he contacted? He in turn laid into them and told me to hit the road. Classy, ballsy move by that guy. Shortly thereafter, I was presented with my performance evaluation, which rated me very poorly, a marked departure from years of Outstanding ratings. I was livid and threatened an outside investigation (forget the term used for it, but in essence, if you file such a claim, they bring in officers from other branches to investigate). They promptly backed down and let me serve out my remaining time, which was actually less time than I had left, because they granted me an early out of about two months. Why anybody in a leadership position would think that going negative on someone in this position is a good strategy I'll never understand.

Geeze!  This is not an attitude I understand either.  Someone is doing something different than you, oh no!  Blergh.  Glad you got out!

and Congrats on the announcement!  Woo hoo!

To answer @2Birds1Stone 's question, I would mark my day as the one I am off payroll but I think the argument could be made either way....

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1721 on: January 25, 2019, 09:13:24 AM »
Congrats @dude!

If you were going to kick off FI(RE) with a leave of absence. Would you consider your exit day as your last day before the leave begins, or when the leave ends and you are no longer on the payroll/benefits of the employer?

This is, essentially, my situation.  I'm still on target for May, but I plan to either start a consulting company or I may continue as a casual employee with Megacorp.  Casual employee status is essentially like I'm unemployed, but if they want to bring me in for a few weeks I can get an higher hourly rate but no benefits for the time I work without applying or doing any paperwork.  Because I'm at a low WDR (3.5% right now - FatFIRE, plenty to cut beyond that) I really don't need to work again.  But I'd like to keep some critical certifications active because I'm unemployable without them.  The IRP will definitely haul me in if/when I do a few days' or weeks' worth of work, but I'm claiming FIRE status the last day I'm a salaried employee.  Because most people don't know the acronym FIRE, I use the phrase "semi-retired, might do a little consulting" to describe my next phase to people.  But knowing that I really, truly, never ever need to work again barring a catastrophe - I consider myself FIREd and the IRP can issue a warrant if they want to.  I'll happily toss it in the circular file while I sip coffee in my PJs at 10am on a weekday and decide whether to read a book, go on a hike, or take off on a road trip. 

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1722 on: January 25, 2019, 01:33:44 PM »

That is really awkward.  I have a former boss then co-worker that retired at 52, I've struggled twice now when his name has come up and his bipolar boss has turned the story into "I removed a non-performer", trying to deflect the fact said boss is a jerk to work for.   Fingers crossed on the charades, its so tough when you know others are being laid off and don't have the same ability

That will be me after I leave.  Boss is paranoid and can't imagine that everyone in the world doesn't want to work for them.  So for their story you are either fired for real or everyone is told that you weren't good enough to be part of the team.  Happened to the last person that left the team who retired at 66 after a cancer scare and decided lifes too short.  Now the boss routinely blames them for everything they don't like and says they weren't really part of the team.  So I'm playing the great game of charades.

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1723 on: January 25, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »

dude.  duuude!

Thats awesome.  Way to go-congratulations!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1724 on: January 26, 2019, 01:59:47 AM »
2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)   CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)
02/01/19     Cycling Stache (44)
02/08/19     Socmonkey (37)
02/13/19     SeanTash
02/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
03/31/19     Loren Ver (36)
03/31/19     Mr. Ver (39)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
04/??/19     PowerStache (43)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude   
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/??/19     Keeks
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1725 on: January 26, 2019, 09:36:46 AM »

That will be me after I leave.  Boss is paranoid and can't imagine that everyone in the world doesn't want to work for them.  So for their story you are either fired for real or everyone is told that you weren't good enough to be part of the team.  Happened to the last person that left the team who retired at 66 after a cancer scare and decided lifes too short.  Now the boss routinely blames them for everything they don't like and says they weren't really part of the team.  So I'm playing the great game of charades.

That is terrible.  There is no reason to rack someones reputation through the mud just because they decided to do something different. It really makes me thankful for where I work, with adults, that act like rational adults....

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1726 on: January 26, 2019, 09:55:11 AM »
@Lews Therin, I like it! Especially since for those LoA weeks, I'll be on the state PFL insurance payroll, not my employers =)

@Loren Ver, psychologically I like committing to the earlier date, since the leave may get extended indefinitely.

So whenever @Trifele updates the list again, ya'll can put me down for 7/1.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1727 on: January 26, 2019, 10:20:08 AM »
So whenever @Trifele updates the list again, ya'll can put me down for 7/1.

You got it.  Only five months to go for you!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

02/13/19     SeanTash
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)
04/19/19     Eric
05/31/19     dude
05/??/19     MaybeBabyMustache   
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     Keeks
07/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie

August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 04:19:36 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1728 on: January 26, 2019, 05:50:44 PM »
It is good to have a plan @2Birds1Stone :D.

LV

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1729 on: January 26, 2019, 06:11:54 PM »
My company has put out our bonus distribution date so I now have a Fire date of April 4th 2019!  I turned in my retirement letter to my boss on Friday.  I like my job and co-workers for the most part so  I am sad that I won’t be seeing some everyday. I have been lucky to work with one of my closest friends for the last 20 years. 

Thank you to everyone sharing their experiences on leaving their employers. I think it help those that come next to be prepared for the various reactions. 

I have not been able to sleep well.  I think I am very emotionally charged from this transition...excited, nervous and a little sad.  DH has been so supportive through this.  I think he is excited for a change too.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1730 on: January 27, 2019, 03:19:36 AM »
My company has put out our bonus distribution date so I now have a Fire date of April 4th 2019!  I turned in my retirement letter to my boss on Friday.  I like my job and co-workers for the most part so  I am sad that I won’t be seeing some everyday. I have been lucky to work with one of my closest friends for the last 20 years. 

Thank you to everyone sharing their experiences on leaving their employers. I think it help those that come next to be prepared for the various reactions. 

I have not been able to sleep well.  I think I am very emotionally charged from this transition...excited, nervous and a little sad.  DH has been so supportive through this.  I think he is excited for a change too.

Got you updated @PowerStache.  Congrats on turning in your resignation!

FIREing packs a powerful emotional punch, that's for sure.  Does your close friend at work know your situation? 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 03:25:52 AM by Trifele »

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1731 on: January 27, 2019, 05:59:55 AM »
@Trifele Yes, my friend is aware. I have been lucky so far that everyone is happy for me.  So you are going into your last few days next week! Is all the work turnover complete or is there a lot to do?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1732 on: January 27, 2019, 06:54:29 AM »
154 Days to go!

If the market doesn't tank by Thursday, and no large unexpected expenses pop up, my trailing 12 month expenses will be covered at 4% withdrawal rate. I'm cheating a bit because I'm counting my cars used value, but it's still an exciting moment =)

While that seems like a long time, there is a lot to plan and downsize before embarking on this adventure. First of all, I'll need to sell the car.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1733 on: January 27, 2019, 08:43:14 AM »
154 Days to go!

If the market doesn't tank by Thursday, and no large unexpected expenses pop up, my trailing 12 month expenses will be covered at 4% withdrawal rate. I'm cheating a bit because I'm counting my cars used value, but it's still an exciting moment =)

While that seems like a long time, there is a lot to plan and downsize before embarking on this adventure. First of all, I'll need to sell the car.

Good luck. Selling your car is easy. Just don't count on getting a lot of money for it. I have always been a bit disappointed about the price when selling privately. Selling to a car sales company pays even less.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:57:15 AM by Linda_Norway »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1734 on: January 27, 2019, 08:49:05 AM »
@Trifele So you are going into your last few days next week! Is all the work turnover complete or is there a lot to do?

The work turnover is still in process -- most of the people being laid off are still around, working until 1/31. :(   So it's incredibly awkward in the office these last few days . . . I feel really bad for my coworkers, but over-the-moon-happy for myself.  Lots of mixed feelings, among them feeling so grateful that I'm in this position.

I am so excited for Thursday!!!!!  I can hardly believe it's almost here. 

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1735 on: January 27, 2019, 04:40:43 PM »
@Trifele So you are going into your last few days next week! Is all the work turnover complete or is there a lot to do?

The work turnover is still in process -- most of the people being laid off are still around, working until 1/31. :(   So it's incredibly awkward in the office these last few days . . . I feel really bad for my coworkers, but over-the-moon-happy for myself.  Lots of mixed feelings, among them feeling so grateful that I'm in this position.

Congratulations!  It has to be difficult dealing with the layoffs and mixed emotions that brings into the mix.  I suspect you're not able to celebrate with people at work who are in a completely different position regarding the layoff, but we'll celebrate with you!  You've earned it. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1736 on: January 28, 2019, 02:41:51 AM »

Congratulations!  It has to be difficult dealing with the layoffs and mixed emotions that brings into the mix.  I suspect you're not able to celebrate with people at work who are in a completely different position regarding the layoff, but we'll celebrate with you!  You've earned it.

Thank you @FIRE2020!  No one at work knows my situation.  The friends and family who do know live far away, so I am left wanting to celebrate something huge with almost no one IRL to celebrate with! 

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1737 on: January 28, 2019, 02:58:46 AM »

Thank you @FIRE2020!  No one at work knows my situation.  The friends and family who do know live far away, so I am left wanting to celebrate something huge with almost no one IRL to celebrate with!

I feel for you. Celebrate with us all you want. We are proud of you and happy for you!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1738 on: January 28, 2019, 03:14:44 AM »

I feel for you. Celebrate with us all you want. We are proud of you and happy for you!

Thank you Linda!  :)

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1739 on: January 28, 2019, 06:07:03 AM »

We clearly need a virtual retirement party for Trifele!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1740 on: January 28, 2019, 06:31:02 AM »
Congrats @dude!

re: the date -- I hit retirement eligibility (Fed LEO) on May 7, and would call it quits on that day except for the fact that it's standard to retire on the last day of the month for continuity of pay purposes.

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1741 on: January 28, 2019, 09:06:36 AM »

We clearly need a virtual retirement party for Trifele!

Definitely!  I am in as long as we have it by Saturday.  I get to go on vacation Sunday (yay)  Not sure how I managed it and I will be somewhat concerned about the ramifications of being gone for a week, but any day away from my office is a good one :)

Only a few more days Trifele.  So excited for you!!!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1742 on: January 28, 2019, 11:40:18 AM »
@Trifele I'll be out on vacation your last day (and your FIRST DAY!!!!) so I wanted to make sure to congratulate you. 

Congratulations!

You have done such a good job taking care of us, don't forget to come back and tell us how it is going!

Loren

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1743 on: January 28, 2019, 06:44:26 PM »
Unless I've missed it, some of the upcoming FIREes haven't posted here in a while.  Calling @Cycling Stache , @Socmonkey , @MaybeBabyMustache , and @zinnie - Are you all on schedule?  Are you more excited or nervous?  Any changes in plans?  Do you have major plans after FIRE or are you just going to chill for a while?

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1744 on: January 28, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »
I have officially filed for sabbatical (my manager & I mutually agreed upon a date, but there's a bunch of HR/paperwork stuff that needs to happen). My date is mid May. (I have to use all of my vacation days before my sabbatical kicks in, so the exact date is TBD, but looking like 5/15). I may or may not return to work after that, & my return to work date is currently scheduled for 9/8. After that, I will be FI, but based on some recent discussions my husband & I are having, I may work part time or in another role for longer. It's been lots of good conversation, & actually my husband changing his previous retirement plans. He's always wanted to work until 65 (???), and has finally come to his senses. He's 9 years older than me, so may work best if we meet in the middle, with me planning to work a few extra years, and him retiring in 7ish years or so.

My long winded explanation of: I'm still taking a sabbatical, but I'm now less clear on next steps after that.

exit2019

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1745 on: January 28, 2019, 09:19:44 PM »
Getting close and still haven't really worked out healthcare since we plan to move afterward (after doing some travel) so we are very likely to do COBRA.

It's amazing how this is the one thing that is most critical.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1746 on: January 29, 2019, 03:48:21 AM »
Thanks so much @forward and @Loren Ver!  With all you sweet people congratulating me I feel like I've already had a retirement party. :)

@exit2019 -- I feel you.  Getting health care coverage is a challenging process, and I wish it wasn't.  We're going on the Exchange to get a plan, and I hope to get my last paperwork uploaded Thursday.   One thing I learned while researching our health coverage options (COBRA vs. Exchange) was that once you go onto COBRA, you can't hop from there to an Exchange plan until Open Enrollment at the end of the year unless your out of pocket cost changes.  So for us FIREing in January, it was a choice between COBRA all year, or Exchange plan all year.  Ugh.   

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1747 on: January 29, 2019, 04:36:00 AM »
Moved @MaybeBabyMustache to May, and waiting to hear on the rest of the February folks.  Thanks for giving them a shout out @FIRE 20/20.  How are you doing @SeanTash?

2019 FIRE Cohort:

02/13/19     SeanTash
03/??/19     Miss Nancy Pryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)
04/19/19     Eric
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/31/19     dude   
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     Keeks
07/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie

August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:23:23 AM by Trifele »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1748 on: January 29, 2019, 06:33:43 AM »
Now how the heck did I get back to Sept? ;)

edgema

• Stubble
« Reply #1749 on: January 29, 2019, 08:09:47 AM »
Haven't posted in a while and currently down for March 31st. This is already a OMY, but just like this time last year I find January is when the doubt creeps in and I see all sorts of 'sensible' reasons to carry on. This year is no different!

However, while my current job is highly paid, the business is failing (as in revenues dropped 40% last year) so the game feels increasingly up here. A pretty cushy consulting option for another business looked likely but is now unlikely to happen as of yesterday. So from having three options it seems FIRE is becoming increasingly likely. It is a weird sensation as 'keeping options open' is also an easy way to make 'no' decisions (albeit that this is actually a 'decision' to carry on).

I have done the planning, run the numbers and saved pretty hard for a long time, so I should be happy. I kind of am, but it comes with a heavy dose of distinct queasiness as the reality of turning off the money machine in 2 months becomes a reality, rather than a pretty exercise on a spreadsheet.

Most would say we are fat FIRE with over $3.5m in invested assets so many would have pulled the ripcord already, but at 42 and the sole earner, with a wife of 39 and two children of 8 and 6, with luck there is a long time ahead for us to consider. Note that I have also spent my career around financial models so also deeply skeptical about any analysis over 40 year time periods.   

The rational side of me feels we have enough and can acknowledge all the things we can do to mitigate downside scenarios. The emotional side of me is deeply scared of f**king this up, not for me frankly but for my wife and kids, and regretting not pushing on for a few more years and still being a very young 'retiree' at 45. Note it is very unlikely that I can return to my career in 5 years time.

In no way is this a 'poor me' post, and similar emotions to many who have written about / experienced FIRE, but sometimes this stuff is just ricocheting around my brain in a very non productive way!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!