Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793112 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1200 on: October 08, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »
It's been quiet for the last few days on the thread -- how's everyone doing?
(snip)

Here's what's happening on my side:
-I finally hit the $100K milestone for the year (save an additional $100K, to give us more flexibility & pad out the stash a bit). But, just got our property tax bill, so my estimate of hitting $100K by the end of the year still seems reasonable.

-I'm embarrassed to say that I've put off maxing out our HSA forever due to a really weird work HR issue when both spouses work for our company. It was fixable, just took time to unpick with HR. Finally got off my buns & got this maxed out for the remainder of the year. There are some smaller paychecks than normal, but feeling really happy I sorted it before the end of the year.

-I met with my executive coach today (free with a training I'm taking at work) & we continue to discuss who I am/want to be when I leave work. It's been really helpful so far, and she's honed in a lot on things that have kept me at this job/in this industry for far longer than I should have stayed.

-Getting ready for a half marathon this weekend (one of my 2018 goals & a trip to spend time with my sister & friend). I'm not nearly as prepared as I'd like to be due to health issues, but know I can finish. Just not in my preferred time.

-Finally, planning our Hawaii trip that's coming up in 5 weeks. This trip was something we added to the calendar when I agreed to stay on at my employer through the end of 2018. Q4 is our busiest/worst time at work, & I needed the motivation to keep it together. We'll stay in a condo & make the majority of the meals, but it's still a big splurge.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1201 on: October 09, 2018, 02:39:44 AM »
I am done with my nightly side-gig for this season (2 hours online mushroom check for edibility, on average 2 sessions a week). I will soon receive payment for it, roughly $550. I still go hunting for mushrooms all 3 weekend days, as I now work 80%. Love walking around in the forest. I spend the evenings figuring out which mushrooms I found, as well as making a good index in Excel for a book on Russulas that doesn't have a key. I like to become better at this hobby. I even ordered 2 more (secondhand) mushrooms books (I have about 12 already). These new ones cost about £25 each.

I have an advertisement out to sell dried penny buns and someone is interested in buying a bulk load. I made a slight miscalculation in the price (80% of unit price for small package, instead of 85%), but done is done. I hope he will pick it up soon. It will be a bit of a low hourly rate, but it was my spare time.... I still have no luck selling the smaller packages, although I have lowered the price for them. In worst case, we'll need to eat them ourselves for the rest of the year. Also a bit stupid, I already ordered 2 new packages of small plastic food bags from China to sell more, even though I don't need them at this moment. They are on their way with extreme snail mail and I can't stop the order any more. My first customer for a mushroom course is soon going to pay for the course, with some delay, but it is a complicated organization. Rough profit: $370.

DH will also work 80% from next month. He spends his evenings sewing, mostly learning new techniques and learning how his new (second hand) overlocker works.

So far I love the downsizing to 80%. I am also thinking that IF 2019 won't work out (can't sell the house for a good price), I will downsize even more and do OMY working 50%.

I made a health investment: I just had my first voluntary vaccine against TBE caused by tic. I get bitten by tics a bit too often, several times a year. According to my GP some people attract them more than others and I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. I need another injection in November and one in the spring and then I should be good to go for 5 years. The medicine costs approx $35 per dosage and $6 for the injection, plus the initial prescription. So well over $100 in total.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1202 on: October 09, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
@Linda_Norway - your 80% plan sounds like a really great fit for both of you. That's fabulous!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1203 on: October 09, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »
We are all so close to FIRE, but between now and freedom curve balls will continue to be thrown our way.

Today was one such day for me.

Having reached my mid 40s I have had a long career and exceeded my own career ambitions.

I didn’t go to a great school and have many, many flaws. I never thought I’d amount to much career wise but as I get bored quickly I have never sat back, but instead have constantly made changes which from a distance could be mistaken for deliberate actions to shape and propel my career, rather than the actions of someone who just gets bored easy and is in a constant search for new adventures.

I have felt over the past couple of years that I would be happy exiting my career next year, content that I’d done well, better than ever could have been predicted of me in high school, college or even early in my career. My ambitions as a company man didn’t for one moment extend beyond my current position.

Today I got thrown a curve ball out of the blue that I didn’t see coming, and certainly didn’t pursue.

My boss called me from Megacorp HQ to share that the decision had been made in the inner circles of power to line me up for a major promotion to a key position, somewhere in the world over the coming year or 2.

Basically, they would start to move chess pieces to create the next career step for me.

I responded positively over the phone but my real first (well masked) reactions were:
  1. Sorry I am so out of here in June; and
  2. Taking on a big job like that is a bit of a worry as I know truths about myself that I may have hidden well from you thus far, but I am not fooling myself. I don’t want to be the fool who rises above their level of incompetence..

But then, as the day wore on, my ego and ambition started to get the better of me....

1. How lucky am I to be someone wired in a way that is a good fit for leadership in a megacorp. OK, I’d rather be wired as an NBA player, but I definitely can’t complain too much. I am in a good place.
It really is a matter of luck that we end up the way we do, and it’s pretty hard to fight type as we are shaped very early in our lives. Maybe I should just swim with the tide and if people think I am good at what I do I should just keep doing it. Recognition and appreciation is a drug.

2. Maybe my career still has some use to me. Maybe I should explore this.

3. Wouldn’t it be great to really stick it up to those who doubted me. I was certainly not on any list of most likely to succeed as a teenager. (clearly my ego is completely out of control tonight, but we are who we are).

4. Maybe the big salary wouldn’t be so bad. Maybe I’ll not enjoy the freedom of FIRE as much as I dream I will (I am surely delusional and have completely lost the plot).

Anyways food for thought over the coming months.

I am sure there will be more curve balls before I get to my planned resignation date in Feb.

Now back to planning my long term travel 🤪

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1204 on: October 09, 2018, 12:14:59 PM »
@itchyfeet - that's a very challenging dilemma! Looking forward  to hearing where you net out.

I had to make a decision about the next promotion as well, and was clear that I didn't want to move forward. This promotion would be a huge jump, and while I'm confident that I can do it, I don't want what it would require, in terms of work life balance, etc.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1205 on: October 10, 2018, 02:01:19 AM »
@itchyfeet - that's a very challenging dilemma! Looking forward  to hearing where you net out.

I had to make a decision about the next promotion as well, and was clear that I didn't want to move forward. This promotion would be a huge jump, and while I'm confident that I can do it, I don't want what it would require, in terms of work life balance, etc.

That's what I was thinking. Instead of telling your boss that you are out of there a certain date, you could tell you don't want to move overseas or do extended travel because of life balance.

But I read that the itchyfeet is flattered and feels challenged and I can understand that. Of course a new and challenging function can take away any boredom if there is any in your current job. Maybe it is fun to do work in that function for a few years. And in worst case scenario, if they figure out you don't have the correct characteristics for the job anyway, then you can always FIRE at short notice. I hope your life won't be too disrupted if/when you do, like having moved abroad or something like that
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 02:42:33 AM by Linda_Norway »

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1206 on: October 10, 2018, 02:37:20 AM »
@itchyfeet  - I can well imagine the lure, but as to whether it's worth it?  My general experience is that people at that level of seniority end up having to eat sleep and breathe the job.  You're mid 40s now so best guess you have say 25 dependably healthy years left in you?  2 years to get to the promotion and say another 3 after that to make it worthwhile would be 20% of that healthy time - not to mention the probable deleterious effect on your health of a long hours, high pressure job.  Is that worth it for money you don't need and a bit of ego massaging?

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1207 on: October 10, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
@itchyfeet  - I can well imagine the lure, but as to whether it's worth it?  My general experience is that people at that level of seniority end up having to eat sleep and breathe the job.  You're mid 40s now so best guess you have say 25 dependably healthy years left in you?  2 years to get to the promotion and say another 3 after that to make it worthwhile would be 20% of that healthy time - not to mention the probable deleterious effect on your health of a long hours, high pressure job.  Is that worth it for money you don't need and a bit of ego massaging?

Thanks Phil. I reckon you nailed it.

After thinking on it overnight I came to the exact same conclusions as you.

5 years is too much time (as you said maybe quarter of my remaining life). Anything less and the extra money I’ll have saved changes nothing in any meaningful way. We’d prob just end up buying a more expensive house. So no point saying I’m doing it for the money.

I already moved to the Middle East for work. So having an expat experience is already ticked off the to do list. That said, for me personally, I feel in no hurry to repatriate.

From here the most likely places we’d end up with work are Sydney, Paris, London, Hong Kong or New York. All great places to live for a bit, but all even better to spend a few months in if I was not working I am sure.

And let’s not even talk about what bad Condition my current job has already left my health in. It’s hard to exercise and eat healthy at airports and on planes. FIRE will mean a far healthier life for me.

The Plan to FIRE in June next year remains plan A......

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1208 on: October 10, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »
Hey guys!  I have been completely ignoring you all for the last couple of months (sorry!) and working too much, but I thought I should pop in to let you know that my wife and I have discussed it and we have set the date.  April 19, 2019.  It's Good Friday, which seems fairly appropriate as it will definitely be a good friday.  Pretty exciting stuff!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1209 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:39 PM »
Today I got thrown a curve ball out of the blue that I didn’t see coming, and certainly didn’t pursue.

My boss called me from Megacorp HQ to share that the decision had been made in the inner circles of power to line me up for a major promotion to a key position, somewhere in the world over the coming year or 2.
Anyways food for thought over the coming months.

I am sure there will be more curve balls before I get to my planned resignation date in Feb.
I think you already know the answer...

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1210 on: October 10, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
Hey guys!  I have been completely ignoring you all for the last couple of months (sorry!) and working too much, but I thought I should pop in to let you know that my wife and I have discussed it and we have set the date.  April 19, 2019.  It's Good Friday, which seems fairly appropriate as it will definitely be a good friday.  Pretty exciting stuff!

Woohoo! Congrats on setting a date!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1211 on: October 11, 2018, 12:37:02 AM »

And let’s not even talk about what bad Condition my current job has already left my health in. It’s hard to exercise and eat healthy at airports and on planes. FIRE will mean a far healthier life for me.

The Plan to FIRE in June next year remains plan A......

Sounds like a very good plan.

And you know, maybe your boss's motivation for telling you that you are lined up for a promotion was too keep you motivated to work very hard for the next 2-3 years.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1212 on: October 11, 2018, 05:45:09 AM »
Congrats on setting the date @Eric !  Got you added.  Got your date updated @Lews Therin / Canadian Ben! 

01/01/19     MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
01/31/19     PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- Planning 10/25/18
02/01/19     Trifele (51)
02/01/19     Cycling Stache (44)
02/15/19     sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18.
02/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/19/19     ChasesFish
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Roboturner  (30)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- Planning 10/31/2018.   
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/19/19     Eric
04/23/19     Canadian Ben (29)
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)
05/??/19     cerat0n1a                         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018                           
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/14/19     Mr. Ver (40)
05/17/19     Loren Ver (37)
05/31/19     Pylortes  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude   
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/06/19     Bognish (44)
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     Bateaux  (50)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/01/19     Freedomin5 (38)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
08/19/18     Chairman                         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/27/19     Spreadsheet Man
10/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
10/??/19     Linda_Norway
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     markbike528cbx  (55)        OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
Elaine amj (40)
IPlawyer 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:40:25 AM by Trifele »

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #1213 on: October 11, 2018, 08:23:30 AM »

Well.. Here I was about to break the news about giving my notice, which was the 15th of April, but since my job gives both Good Friday, AND Easter monday... Now I'm ending it on the 23rd of April. Hope you're proud of making me work 3 extra days, (for 7-8 days salary since I'm not hourly :D)

Canadian Ben, (29), 23 April.

Papers have been given. (6 months notice for us)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1214 on: October 11, 2018, 08:24:02 AM »
I hope everyone has the guts to stick to their date after the next correction.......I have yet to experience a significant decline in the markets whilst having my NW tied up in the market.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1215 on: October 11, 2018, 08:29:38 AM »
I hope everyone has the guts to stick to their date after the next correction.......I have yet to experience a significant decline in the markets whilst having my NW tied up in the market.

I've lost 15k ish on my stash. That's 3%, or almost a full year of expenses. I still gave in my paperwork. The more the index dips, the higher the dividend returns! (I keep buying 6%+ solid dividend payers, it's such fun!)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1216 on: October 11, 2018, 09:41:43 AM »

Well.. Here I was about to break the news about giving my notice, which was the 15th of April, but since my job gives both Good Friday, AND Easter monday... Now I'm ending it on the 23rd of April. Hope you're proud of making me work 3 extra days, (for 7-8 days salary since I'm not hourly :D)

Papers have been given. (6 months notice for us)

Congrats on pulling the FIRE date forward!  Got your date changed in the roster.  Do you prefer to go by Lews Therin now, or Canadian Ben?

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #1217 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
It'll go back to the other name when I fire. leave it as is.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: October 11, 2018, 12:19:30 PM »
Thanks @Trifele for making it official!  I guess there's no backing out now!  lol

Yes, I'm very proud that I could inspire you to squeeze a few extra paid vacation days out of your employer before calling it.  :)

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1219 on: October 11, 2018, 12:23:32 PM »

I'm positive that you have already experienced a correction, since there was one in February.

Personally, I'm not overly concerned about this current blip, because Q3 was the best quarter on record since 2013 and the economy still seems pretty strong in general.  I have shifted more of my portfolio to bonds though, in preparation of calling it quits.  (but that's independent of current market movements)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1220 on: October 12, 2018, 07:13:30 AM »

I'm positive that you have already experienced a correction, since there was one in February.

Personally, I'm not overly concerned about this current blip, because Q3 was the best quarter on record since 2013 and the economy still seems pretty strong in general.  I have shifted more of my portfolio to bonds though, in preparation of calling it quits.  (but that's independent of current market movements)

Did the same over a year ago with about a year and a half to go -- went 50/50. If we see a really deep correction - 12-20%, I'll jack it back up to 60/40 or 70/30. Now less than 7 months away . . .

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1221 on: October 12, 2018, 08:21:02 AM »
I don’t have any bonds but have a big % tied up in property.

By the time I FIRE next June I expect to be
- Property 60%
- Stocks 29%
- Pension 6%
- Term deposits/ cash 5%

But we will still be carrying a bit of leverage, which isn’t ideal but it is what it is.

We will sell down our property at some point in the next couple of years, TBD.

After this we will be more like
- Property 40% (incl home)
- Stocks 48%
- Pension 7%
- Term Deposits/ Cash 5%

So we are not quite as exposed to this weeks events as other I suspect. However, We are very exposed, to the crappy Sydney property market. 🤣 and I think that has worse medium term prospects than stocks. :-/

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1222 on: October 12, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
I don’t have any bonds but have a big % tied up in property.

By the time I FIRE next June I expect to be
- Property 60%
- Stocks 29%
- Pension 6%
- Term deposits/ cash 5%

But we will still be carrying a bit of leverage, which isn’t ideal but it is what it is.

We will sell down our property at some point in the next couple of years, TBD.

After this we will be more like
- Property 40% (incl home)
- Stocks 48%
- Pension 7%
- Term Deposits/ Cash 5%

So we are not quite as exposed to this weeks events as other I suspect. However, We are very exposed, to the crappy Sydney property market. 🤣 and I think that has worse medium term prospects than stocks. :-/

I will say re: bonds that I'm very lucky to be a fed employee with access to the G Fund, a specially issued security that cannot lose value and returns long-term rates on medium term government securities. As bonds have been getting hammered in the past year or two, the G Fund has given me a respectable 2.75% on a zero-risk investment that past 12 months. Enough to keep up with inflation, which is good enough for me in this interest rate environment.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1223 on: October 12, 2018, 05:10:36 PM »
That does sound nice, dude, but even without that us commoners and our bond funds are doing okay.  The "hammering" they've been taking has left VBTLX down a little over 1% over the last 12 months.  Not great, obviously, but not the end of the world.

The way I look at it is that if the Fed continues to raise rates, bonds will continue to struggle.  However, the flip side is that the Fed will only continue raising rates if the economy continues to be strong, and as such, that should help our stocks.  So if I had my choice between falling bonds and rising bonds, I'll take falling bonds 8 days a week. 

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #1224 on: October 12, 2018, 11:06:23 PM »
4.  FINCON 2019.  The word is FINCON ’19 is in Washington, DC and during dates after I separate from the military.  I’m thinking of attending just to see the festivities and maybe chat with people who will spark some good ideas.
4-7 September 2019.  It's at the Washington Hilton (1919 Connecticut Ave) and FinCon has a room block reserved at $169/night.  (Hey, compared to Hawaii this is cheap.)  The Military Influencer Conference is 8-10 September at the same location.

The FinCon18 earlybird sale ended a few days ago, and FinCon19 tickets go back on sale around January 2019.
https://finconexpo.com/fincon19/

You know how to find me:  I'm the middle-aged balding ponytailed surfer in an aloha shirt...

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1225 on: October 13, 2018, 08:55:03 AM »
4-7 September 2019.  It's at the Washington Hilton (1919 Connecticut Ave) and FinCon has a room block reserved at $169/night.  (Hey, compared to Hawaii this is cheap.)  The Military Influencer Conference is 8-10 September at the same location.

The FinCon18 earlybird sale ended a few days ago, and FinCon19 tickets go back on sale around January 2019.
https://finconexpo.com/fincon19/
Thanks for the info!  That's an entire week of fun at one location!

...the Washington Hilton (1919 Connecticut Ave) and FinCon has a room block reserved at $169/night.  (Hey, compared to Hawaii this is cheap.)...
Very true!

...I'm the middle-aged balding ponytailed surfer in an aloha shirt...
The aloha shirt will definitely make it easy to spot you!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1226 on: October 15, 2018, 05:51:21 AM »
Hope everyone had a nice weekend!

I've been noodling over whether to jump ship over to the 2018 cohort, but I think I will stay put here.  I may pull my FIRE date forward into January 2019, but that will probably be as early as I will go.

Weird situation at work.  Megacorp is taking over and the deal is expected to close sometime in the next two months.  Just found out Friday afternoon that Employer is offering me a bonus if I stay until the deal closes (on top of my annual bonus), and at the same time Megacorp is preparing a list of people they are going to cut as soon as they are the owner.  And no one knows for sure yet if they are on the cut list because Megacorp won't announce it until the deal closes.  In my situation it would be an absolute grand slam home run to collect the retention bonus and then get laid off by Megacorp.  But the only one of those two items under my control is the bonus, so I'm going to stick around long enough to collect it.  If Megacorp doesn't give me the axe, I will turn my 4 week notice in as soon as the bonus check hits my account.   

Whew.  Glad that's decided.  And glad I get to stay here with such a nice group of people.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1227 on: October 15, 2018, 07:33:54 AM »

I've been noodling over whether to jump ship over to the 2018 cohort, but I think I will stay put here.  I may pull my FIRE date forward into January 2019, but that will probably be as early as I will go.

Weird situation at work.  Megacorp is taking over and the deal is expected to close sometime in the next two months.  Just found out Friday afternoon that Employer is offering me a bonus if I stay until the deal closes (on top of my annual bonus), and at the same time Megacorp is preparing a list of people they are going to cut as soon as they are the owner.  And no one knows for sure yet if they are on the cut list because Megacorp won't announce it until the deal closes.  In my situation it would be an absolute grand slam home run to collect the retention bonus and then get laid off by Megacorp.  But the only one of those two items under my control is the bonus, so I'm going to stick around long enough to collect it.  If Megacorp doesn't give me the axe, I will turn my 4 week notice in as soon as the bonus check hits my account.   

Whew.  Glad that's decided.  And glad I get to stay here with such a nice group of people.

Wow, accepting the bonus until the deal is round (your company and megacorp signing papers for sale) and then disappearing directly after you are transferred as a new employee to megacorp?  That rocks and that will teach them! They are already putting people on their list to FIRE. You are probably on their list to keep, as your correct employer find you valuable enough to give you a stay-bonus. Megacorp will lose you immediately and should perhaps have kept one of the people they just fired.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 01:50:45 AM by Linda_Norway »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1228 on: October 15, 2018, 08:38:54 AM »
So I go on vacation (with no internet) for a few days and look what happens!

We have people joining the best, smartest, and most humble cohort, including those that overcame massive life changes but still moving forward with FIRE dates, instead of making excuses (hats off to you).

We have people moving their 2019 dates forward (woo hoo).

We have people critically evaluating promotions with the wonderful glasses of enough and balance (weirdos :D). 

Then there are interesting market movements.  The Ver Household is mostly (close to entirely) in stocks, including some exciting leveraged stocks, which makes market movement very interesting.  There as been a lot of giggling in the house, but that is mostly because we don't seem to respond to stimuli like normal people.  I don't do numbers until the end of the quarter so it will be interesting to see what I come up with Jan 1st.  Shopping on sale is always nice :).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1229 on: October 15, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »

Wow, accepting the bonus until the deal is round (your company and megacorp signing papers for sale) and then disappearing directly after you are transferred as a new employee to megacorp?  That rocks and that will teach them! They are already putting people on their list to FIRE. You are probably on their list to keep, as your correct employer find you valuable enough to give you a stay-bonus. Megacorp will lose you immediately and should perhaps have kept one if the people they just fired.

Haha -- thanks @Linda_Norway!  Yes, it would be logical to think that I'm not going to be laid off, since they offered the bonus, but I'm not sure everything is proceeding logically here . . . And yes, that's the plan.  :)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1230 on: October 15, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
(snip)

-I finally hit the $100K milestone for the year (save an additional $100K, to give us more flexibility & pad out the stash a bit). But, just got our property tax bill, so my estimate of hitting $100K by the end of the year still seems reasonable.

-I'm embarrassed to say that I've put off maxing out our HSA forever due to a really weird work HR issue when both spouses work for our company. It was fixable, just took time to unpick with HR. Finally got off my buns & got this maxed out for the remainder of the year. There are some smaller paychecks than normal, but feeling really happy I sorted it before the end of the year.

-I met with my executive coach today (free with a training I'm taking at work) & we continue to discuss who I am/want to be when I leave work. It's been really helpful so far, and she's honed in a lot on things that have kept me at this job/in this industry for far longer than I should have stayed.

-Getting ready for a half marathon this weekend (one of my 2018 goals & a trip to spend time with my sister & friend). I'm not nearly as prepared as I'd like to be due to health issues, but know I can finish. Just not in my preferred time.

-Finally, planning our Hawaii trip that's coming up in 5 weeks. This trip was something we added to the calendar when I agreed to stay on at my employer through the end of 2018. Q4 is our busiest/worst time at work, & I needed the motivation to keep it together. We'll stay in a condo & make the majority of the meals, but it's still a big splurge.

Finished my half marathon, and did better than expected. I am having some knee/ankle pain from not being as well trained as I should have been. Already convinced my running group to run another half with me in May - plenty of time to train during my sabbatical. Woohoo!! Getting/staying in good shape is a big part of my post FIRE plan.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1231 on: October 15, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »

Finished my half marathon, and did better than expected. I am having some knee/ankle pain from not being as well trained as I should have been. Already convinced my running group to run another half with me in May - plenty of time to train during my sabbatical. Woohoo!! Getting/staying in good shape is a big part of my post FIRE plan.

Congrats on finishing your race.
But be very careful about your ankel pain if it is your achilles. Let it heal properly, because achilles injury can be inrepairable, compared to most other injuries that can heal.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1232 on: October 15, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
(snip)

Yah!!!  That's fantastic  Rest up, and even better luck on your next one!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1233 on: October 15, 2018, 02:15:46 PM »
Thanks, @Linda_Norway and @Loren Ver ! My ankle pain doesn't seem to be achilles related - fingers crossed that I'm all healed in a week or so, with minimal use!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1234 on: October 18, 2018, 05:02:54 AM »
I just got the email from boss that we are to write up our end of the year performance reviews.  I really don't like doing these.  I get why we do them and I think my company does a pretty good job with consensus and rating people, but I don't like this process.  I am far better at talking about what I did then writing it to be so many words etc. 

This is the first time in my career that I will be rated in a non-scientific role against other non-scientists, so I don't really know what to expect.  As a scientist I was good at what I did, but as a non- PhD I wasn't given the high impact studies, so I always hid in the middle of the bell curve (met expectations).  The sub-function I am in now never existed before so I'm not sure where I stand or how what I am doing compares to others.  I guess my goal is still to hid in the middle :).

With an extra notation that this might be my last consensus EVER!

LV

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1235 on: October 18, 2018, 06:45:05 AM »
I just got the email from boss that we are to write up our end of the year performance reviews.  I really don't like doing these.  I get why we do them and I think my company does a pretty good job with consensus and rating people, but I don't like this process.  I am far better at talking about what I did then writing it to be so many words etc. 

This is the first time in my career that I will be rated in a non-scientific role against other non-scientists, so I don't really know what to expect.  As a scientist I was good at what I did, but as a non- PhD I wasn't given the high impact studies, so I always hid in the middle of the bell curve (met expectations).  The sub-function I am in now never existed before so I'm not sure where I stand or how what I am doing compares to others.  I guess my goal is still to hid in the middle :).

LV
This website should help you complete your performance assessment:
https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1236 on: October 20, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »

Most Righteous Alias Age at
FIRE
Target
Date
MissNancyPryor50Mar-19
Roboturner30Mar-19
Livingthedream5559May-19
cerat0n1aMay-19
dude54May-19
SamIAm3829May-19
oldtoyotaJun-19
Itchyfeet47Jun-19
Enigma39Jul-19
Thedividebyzero45Jul-19
TrifeleAug-19
RetirementDreamingSep-19
VoteCthulu39Oct-19
trix7643Oct-19
markbike528CBX55Dec-19
HBFI38Dec-19
luckyme1345Dec-19
PhilBTBD
ParizadeTBD
madamwitty36TBD
LowerbillsTBD
Chrissy42TBD
GerardTBD
getoutsoon52TBD
ysette9TBD
elaine amj40TBD
IplawyerTBD
Linda_Norway46TBD, autumn 2019
BateauxTBD

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1237 on: October 20, 2018, 11:18:23 AM »
I am getting serious cold feet. I am both concerned about our expected rate of profit on stocks. And concerned about moving to another area. There is still so much to do where we live now, although we can't do everything.
I asked DH if he wasn't nervous. He said his only concern was the unpredictable returns on stocks. But he also mentioned that we could just go live 20% cheaper than budgetted, which is realistic. And we could do more consultant work or something else parttime.
I am also a bit concerned bout how much more expensive light might be living out in the country. Most things will be further away than they are today while luving clise to the capital. But I think that as long as our daily activities are close to our house, we will be fine.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1238 on: October 20, 2018, 10:09:33 PM »
I am getting serious cold feet. I am both concerned about our expected rate of profit on stocks. And concerned about moving to another area. There is still so much to do where we live now, although we can't do everything.
I asked DH if he wasn't nervous. He said his only concern was the unpredictable returns on stocks. But he also mentioned that we could just go live 20% cheaper than budgetted, which is realistic. And we could do more consultant work or something else parttime.
I am also a bit concerned bout how much more expensive light might be living out in the country. Most things will be further away than they are today while luving clise to the capital. But I think that as long as our daily activities are close to our house, we will be fine.
You should move into the 2022 cohort. They seem lonely over there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1239 on: October 21, 2018, 07:15:48 AM »
Bringing the roster forward.  I think cold feet are a bit normal Linda.  It will all work out. :)  Should we leave you tentatively as October 2019 for now?

01/31/19     PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- Planning 10/25/18
03/19/19     ChasesFish
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/19/19     Eric
05/31/19     dude   
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     markbike528cbx  (55)        OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie

Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
Elaine amj (40)
IPlawyer

waffles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1240 on: October 21, 2018, 12:48:58 PM »
At work, we are bidding our schedules and vacation for next year. It is odd to only plan vacation through June...this is getting real!

This will also help curb any temptation to stay longer...if I don't bid any vacation after June now, I have minimal chances of getting any time off later. That is quite some incentive to keep my retirement date as planned.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1241 on: October 21, 2018, 01:51:29 PM »
At work, we are bidding our schedules and vacation for next year. It is odd to only plan vacation through June...this is getting real!

This will also help curb any temptation to stay longer...if I don't bid any vacation after June now, I have minimal chances of getting any time off later. That is quite some incentive to keep my retirement date as planned.

I'm running a similar thought right now.  I'm torn between taking vacation in the first few weeks of the year to shorten the amount of time worked verses not taking vacation and getting paid out those days once I quit.  I was leaning towards option #1 before our net worth dropped the value of two new vehicles in the first three weeks in October

waffles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1242 on: October 21, 2018, 08:19:23 PM »
I am not bidding much annual leave...and what I do bid, I plan to "convert" to sick leave. Then I will get paid full rate for my annual when I retire. I figure I can do six months with not a lot of leave, and there will be overtime days in there too. It will be tough but with a light at the end of the tunnel I can do it.

35 weeks....

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1243 on: October 21, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
Less than 100 days to go! I do still have vacation planned (Hawaii in November, the Oregon coast in December, & potentially a ski trip to Tahoe depending on exact end date). I'll accrue additional bonus/comp days to being on call over company holidays. I currently have 109 hours left, one day off from travel on a weekend, and 2 days off for covering company holidays. Let's do this! I cannot carry over any days before my sabbatical, so will have to burn all of my vacation. It's a position I've never been in before!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1244 on: October 22, 2018, 05:20:03 AM »

LV
This website should help you complete your performance assessment:
https://www.atrixnet.com/bs-generator.html

Best performance review ever!

I am getting serious cold feet. I am both concerned about our expected rate of profit on stocks. And concerned about moving to another area. There is still so much to do where we live now, although we can't do everything....snip...

Stay strong Linda!!  You have a plan, plans are good.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1245 on: October 22, 2018, 05:46:23 AM »
Less than 100 days to go! I do still have vacation planned (Hawaii in November, the Oregon coast in December, & potentially a ski trip to Tahoe depending on exact end date). I'll accrue additional bonus/comp days to being on call over company holidays. I currently have 109 hours left, one day off from travel on a weekend, and 2 days off for covering company holidays. Let's do this! I cannot carry over any days before my sabbatical, so will have to burn all of my vacation. It's a position I've never been in before!

240 days for us. Still seems a long ways off, but the past 125 since we passed the 1 year to go mark have flown by, so I guess the same will apply to the next few months.

Still half expecting that something will happen which will change our plans resulting in OMY or FMY, but with each week such an event seems increasingly unlikely.

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #1246 on: October 22, 2018, 01:39:28 PM »
I don't post so much, but I am retiring on February 8th, 2019 at age 37. So you can add me to the list.

I'll have enough to cover my expenses and plan on ramping up my reselling side-hustle as I enjoy it a lot. Also, an occasional seasonal job seems like something I would like to do. Coolworks.com has a few opportunities in remote and interesting places. Things I could see myself doing for a few months as an adventure of sorts.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1247 on: October 22, 2018, 02:29:43 PM »
I don't post so much, but I am retiring on February 8th, 2019 at age 37. So you can add me to the list.

I'll have enough to cover my expenses and plan on ramping up my reselling side-hustle as I enjoy it a lot. Also, an occasional seasonal job seems like something I would like to do. Coolworks.com has a few opportunities in remote and interesting places. Things I could see myself doing for a few months as an adventure of sorts.

Welcome to the cohort!!

What types of things do you like to resell?

LV

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1248 on: October 22, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »
Welcome @Socmonkey!  Got you added:

01/31/19     PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
02/08/19     Socmonkey (37)
03/19/19     ChasesFish
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/19/19     Eric
05/31/19     dude   
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie

Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
Elaine amj (40)
IPlawyer

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 03:19:49 AM by Trifele »

Socmonkey

• Stubble
    • Doubling Dollars
« Reply #1249 on: October 23, 2018, 09:30:53 AM »

Welcome to the cohort!!

What types of things do you like to resell?

LV

Thank you for the welcome!

Oh, I resell anything I can make a few bucks off of. I'll hit up garage sales, estate sales, and thrift stores as well as keep an eye on Craigslist and similar for deals. I'll also throw in a bit of retail arbitrage. eBay is my main selling area but I also sell on Amazon, and larger/heavier items locally. 

It's a treasure hunt and quite fun to me. Also, I can do it when I want, turn it off when I want, and answer to no bosses. I've semi-tracked my time spent to earned profit for a month and it comes out to a wage of around $20 per hour.

A side benefit is since I am looking for deals all the time I often find things I can use myself for cheap.