Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793078 times)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1000 on: August 07, 2018, 12:19:20 PM »
How is it going @sui generis?  Is this the week you take the plunge? 

We're all rooting for you, whatever you decide!

Oh, thank you!  Yes, I gave notice yesterday!  It's a little anti-climactic in that I don't have a "last day" confirmed yet - one of the partners I'm working with is on vacation and I don't want to ruin her last days of relaxation by telling her what she's facing when she comes back.  So I may stick around an extra day or two as a courtesy to her, although it will be two weeks and change at max.  Still, not having that target day makes it feel slightly less concrete.  So I think I'll have that date on Thursday and will feel more excited!

Absolutely fantastic.  Congratulations!

^^^^^
Indeed!!

Richmond 2020

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1001 on: August 07, 2018, 02:23:16 PM »
How is it going @sui generis?  Is this the week you take the plunge? 

We're all rooting for you, whatever you decide!

Oh, thank you!  Yes, I gave notice yesterday!  It's a little anti-climactic in that I don't have a "last day" confirmed yet - one of the partners I'm working with is on vacation and I don't want to ruin her last days of relaxation by telling her what she's facing when she comes back.  So I may stick around an extra day or two as a courtesy to her, although it will be two weeks and change at max.  Still, not having that target day makes it feel slightly less concrete.  So I think I'll have that date on Thursday and will feel more excited!

Absolutely fantastic.  Congratulations!

^^^^^
Indeed!!

Ditto.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: August 08, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
I never thought I would say this, but I'm potentially switching out of this cohort due to an impending career change.

If I accept the offer, it would be a 1-3 year commitment.

If things worked out well, there is the opportunity to double our net worth over 36 months. From $500k to $1M, so I would say that it would be very significant. I would still be able to retire well before my 35th birthday.

Edited to add - and if it sucks, I can always pull the plug at any time, there are some golden handcuffs though =)
Kind of similar to my situation, three-year commitment.  In my case I was mandated to stick around until February 2019.  If it wasn't for that requirement I would've been gone when I hit FI back in December 2016.  For the past 2.5 years as I was working through the commitment I added about $400K in financial padding to the FI numbers.

If your situation presents an opportunity to seriously up the financials I say go for it.  1-3 years really isn't that long.  Unless you're totally miserable doing what you're doing!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1003 on: August 11, 2018, 06:14:56 AM »
How's everyone doing?  I've just had my head down at work, putting one foot in front of the other.  August tends to be pretty quiet with lots of people on vacation, meetings getting canceled, etc.  I'm hoping to slide on in to the end of the month without too much stress and then -- it's September!

I did hear something super funny this week.  If you remember, we're being bought by Megacorp and "integration" is underway.   Turns out Megacorp has a dress code which is way stricter than anything we currently have.  It includes no bare legs (pantyhose required with skirts and dresses) for women, and no bare shoulders.

Don't get me wrong, I 'clean up' and dress nicely for work.  But pantyhose and sleeves are hot, and the building I work in is stuffy.  I'm not sweating against my will at work -- they can bite me.  Plus I'm in the 'Absolutely No Clothes Shopping All Year" challenge in the MMM Throw Down the Gauntlet thread.  I don't have any pantyhose and no way I'm going to buy them (and fail the challenge) because of some stupid work rule.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!  :)   

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1004 on: August 11, 2018, 07:51:37 AM »
I am travelling around Uganda at the moment. The trip is a bit rushed. From next year adventures will never be rushed again.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1005 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:37 AM »
I am still on track for February.  What kinds of things are people doing to plan?

I want to freeload on the plans of others since I am working insane hours right up to the end and have really not done much more than get my finances right.

The pre-fire checklist is interesting but I'd like to know what's fresh.
My biggest effort right now is saving up enough cash to last two years of living expenses.  Based on my expenses tracker that amount is $80K.  I also want to take my mom on an all-expenses-paid road trip to celebrate her retirement.  I figure $10K for that trip should be enough.  So a total of $90K in cash when I retire is what I'm aiming for.  My thinking is having the financial flexibility to weather a market downturn and/or having the funds to do something else like start a business or buy a house.  I have saved $60K in cash so far, and with about a year to go I have to save another $30K.

I plan to reassess my financial situation in two or three years.  $80K may be overkill, and I may employ some of that money in something else.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1006 on: August 11, 2018, 10:10:28 AM »
big snip...........
Turns out Megacorp has a dress code which is way stricter than anything we currently have.  It includes no bare legs (pantyhose required with skirts and dresses) for women, and no bare shoulders.

snip........I don't have any pantyhose and no way I'm going to buy them (and fail the challenge) because of some stupid work rule.

For the first time in my internet use I'm going OMG!
Strict dress code in 2018?  Aren't pantyhose a fire hazard (and maybe a FIRE hazard too)?

Anyway I like your priorities, ... forum over work...:-)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1007 on: August 11, 2018, 10:47:57 AM »
big snip...........
Turns out Megacorp has a dress code which is way stricter than anything we currently have.  It includes no bare legs (pantyhose required with skirts and dresses) for women, and no bare shoulders.

snip........I don't have any pantyhose and no way I'm going to buy them (and fail the challenge) because of some stupid work rule.

Strict dress code in 2018? 

I know, right?  It feels like a throwback to the 60s or something.  Like we're going to wake up in a Mad Men episode.  And yes -- full suit-and-tie requirement for men.

"FIRE hazard" -- haha Mark! 

I may have some fun with this dress code thing on my way out ...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 12:53:17 PM by Trifele »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1008 on: August 11, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
I know, right?  It feels like a throwback to the 60s or something.  Like we're going to wake up in a Mad Men episode.  And yes -- full suit-and-tie requirement for men.

full suit-and-tie requirement for men.  eeeek...   the only time I've worn a suit I'd for interviews.
I only own one and it doesn't have a vest. Please tell us that a vest is not required.

Have you seen pantyhose near a fire? it melts clings and burns.

Yep, you can have fun with it, just remember you've got FU money and FIRE potential, but some doofus might accelerate  your plans.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1009 on: August 11, 2018, 01:24:06 PM »
I'm starting to think about what I'll be doing come April 1st, work-wise, if at all. This is because I'm not at my absolute top FIRE number yet, and I want to explore down shifting opportunities and see how bearable they'd be.

There are a couple options:
1- 6 months sabbatical straight off the bat, then upon return:
2- Intermittent 3-6 week unpaid leaves 2-4 times a year. Great because I'd maintain benefits, but apparently getting back is hard. Great for travel.
3- Buying ~8 weeks vacation (in addition to my current 4) per year. Similar to #2 but shorter breaks.
4- Part-time (60-80% of every week). Not really interested in that because I need my time to decompress and context switch, but included for completeness.
5- Push for working remote 100% or close to 100%
6- Get a different job that would allow this. An option if negotiation fails with current company.
7- Consulting/freelance, which would be mostly remote and allow for breaks between projects.
8- Nothing and/or career overhaul.

Basically if I do the Fourier transform of my on/off work time, which frequency would dominate?

Probably #7 is the most appealing long-term, so I could do #1 on April 1st, then try my hand at #2-3-5-6 for a while (more lucrative), then eventually move to #7.

A potential issue is that I'm not sure how to ask/negotiate with my employer, and which option is my best shot. I also don't have solid excuse like family to require those things.

texxan1

• Stubble
« Reply #1010 on: August 12, 2018, 01:08:00 AM »
Hmmmmmmm it looks like i may need to bow out and get into the 2018 FIRE group lol.

So let me tell yall a story.... So the company has a new blueprint that just got announce, and as i know i was on a contract basis for my work overseas. I expect that they will tell me i wont be extended blah blah blah and then the day comes for my discussion with my boss... Turns out, that i will not make end of 2019, i will actually be lucky to make the end of 2018.. So  am to be repatriated back to the US by EOY 2018.    This throws some kinks into my plan, or non plan,

So come january 1, i will be back in the US on garden leave (paid leave, while i search for a job in the company). So no more huge fire hose of cash infusion to my accounts.. When abroad, i made tripple of what my US salary was and the company paid my taxes... Gonna be crazy to see my checks reduced 2/3rds lol

So maybe its time to fire early... Thing is, that garden leave could last a long while (up to a year)  If the company offers me a job, and i decline i get nothing... If the company doesnt offer me something etc, they will have to severance me out to the tune of 16 months salary---- So im hopeful for either something abroad working month on month off and starting back to getting my things in order in the states, or garden leave and ride out for hopes on a severance package

What do you guys think...

The stats
46 YO
$500 k  paid for house (HCOL)
698k Vanguard after tax
675 401k
side business in US that makes me about 25k a year right now... (55k but split with partner and paid help)

So i have about 1.35m liquid and a two pensions.. .one of 250k if i take at end of year and put into own future account, and one for 199k i get at 65.

Just talking outload

I think, its time to go FISHING lol

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1011 on: August 12, 2018, 04:22:42 AM »
Wow @gerardc and @texxan1 . . . Big, deep things to ponder.

Gerard, you have some great options; sounds like you have a nice path planned out come April 1.  What will you do with that 6 month sabbatical right off the bat?  Sounds like you are a traveler, so I'm guessing you won't have any trouble coming up with something great and memorable.

Texxan1, dude as long as your annual spending is under $90k or so, based on my quick math you have made it.  Feel free to go over to the 2018 cohort and pull the plug this fall.  You will join our illustrious OP Mark and lawyer-on-FIRE @sui generis as proud defectors.  Only reason I can see for you to hang around into 2019 is the possibility of getting another overseas posting, which it seems you enjoy?

Hope you two gentlemen/ladies are feeling like the royalty that you are!  You're both in a really good place. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:19:33 AM by Trifele »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: August 12, 2018, 12:35:44 PM »

The stats
46 YO
698k Vanguard after tax
675 401k
side business in US that makes me about 25k a year right now... (55k but split with partner and paid help)

So i have about 1.35m liquid and a two pensions.. .one of 250k if i take at end of year and put into own future account, and one for 199k i get at 65.

That's about the same as me, except I don't have $450K in pensions coming and side-work/part-time is questionable.  I'm good with $50K/yr expenses ($30K over barebones) with stash alone, so you should be covered for expenses well above that with your other income sources.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 12:42:30 PM by DreamFIRE »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1013 on: August 12, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
I love seeing the options people have, or have given themselves.  Really wonderful!

LV

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1014 on: August 12, 2018, 04:51:09 PM »
Hmmmmmmm it looks like i may need to bow out and get into the 2018 FIRE group lol.

So let me tell yall a story.... So the company has a new blueprint that just got announce, and as i know i was on a contract basis for my work overseas. I expect that they will tell me i wont be extended blah blah blah and then the day comes for my discussion with my boss... Turns out, that i will not make end of 2019, i will actually be lucky to make the end of 2018.. So  am to be repatriated back to the US by EOY 2018.    This throws some kinks into my plan, or non plan,

So come january 1, i will be back in the US on garden leave (paid leave, while i search for a job in the company). So no more huge fire hose of cash infusion to my accounts.. When abroad, i made tripple of what my US salary was and the company paid my taxes... Gonna be crazy to see my checks reduced 2/3rds lol

So maybe its time to fire early... Thing is, that garden leave could last a long while (up to a year)  If the company offers me a job, and i decline i get nothing... If the company doesnt offer me something etc, they will have to severance me out to the tune of 16 months salary---- So im hopeful for either something abroad working month on month off and starting back to getting my things in order in the states, or garden leave and ride out for hopes on a severance package

The stats
46 YO
698k Vanguard after tax
675 401k

Just talking outload

I think, its time to go FISHING lol

You're way past FI, especially if you have pensions in your future.  I'd milk that "garden leave" as long as you can and do everything possible to NOT be offered another job with the company.  Maybe they'll severance you out early.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1015 on: August 14, 2018, 04:45:01 AM »
Love love love the OLY folks!  Put a big smile on my face this morning.

2019 is getting so close!!

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1016 on: August 14, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »
big snip...........

Are your legs well enough tanned to just draw on a seam with eyebrow pencil?  If not then I believe gravy browning was the traditional solution!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1017 on: August 14, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
big snip...........

Are your legs well enough tanned to just draw on a seam with eyebrow pencil?  If not then I believe gravy browning was the traditional solution!

Lol I will give those a try!

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #1018 on: August 15, 2018, 09:55:57 AM »
I have been doing some thinking. I've only posted once in this thread since I joined after moving back from 2018 when my spouse decided to take a different career opportunity that altered our plans somewhat.   I'm now targeting end of May 2019.  But there may be some movement in that date depending on: 

1. My project's contract is  set to expire in 2019- this has been moved up a year, was originally set to expire in 2020.   As a key player on this contract, and to help make sure my direct reports/co-workers continue to be employed, I may want to stay just long enough to ensure that we win the next round of contract.  A new contract will come out sometime next spring, and its possible that our proposal/response will be completed by end of May, but if not, I'll stay long enough to help make sure we put out a good proposal and win the new contract.  I don't want to bail and then cost everyone else in my local office their jobs as I know the company would probably look for a way shut the office down if we don't win the next contract.   
2. Will keep my eyes open on markets/economy.  Sequence of return risk is not a huge factor considering my spouse will stay employed, but I'd be hard pressed to not pad the stash a bit and load up on cheap stocks in the event of a big downturn.  I couldn't imagine this would impact my date my more than a few months however, and if we're just floating along or down just modestly, screw it, I'm out.  Right now, I'm having a hard time finding a lot of attractive ways to invest my money.  That hasn't been the case much until recently. 
3. Have two school aged kids.  Really want to be done at least part (if not all) of the summer, so I can travel/take them on a long roadtrip.  Waiting until school starts back up in August would be a downer (plus if I'm off we can save money by not having to put them in summer camp)

As my employer matches 401k each paycheck (rather than a lump sum), my plan is to shoot to fund say 85-90% of the max 401k contributions by end of May.  In the event I end up working a few months longer I'll then have flexibility to continue to contribute and therefore continue to get the employer match until my end date is reached.   If I decide to leave as proposed at end of May (will try to make final decision by late April) will just go ahead and raise 401k contributions for the last couple paychecks so I can max out the 401k right as I leave. 

A couple of factors I am taking into consideration on the exact date of departure are  1. My company grants PTO for the month on the 18th of each month.  So it would be silly to leave say between the 10th and 17th of the month.  If I were to stay to the 18th, I'd earn another 2.5 days of pay.   So I will likely make sure to leave sometime between the 19th and 31st of the month.  2. I enjoy being paid not to work on holidays.  Ideally I will milk one last holiday or two.  Memorial Day is May 28th.  Would like to make it past that then quit.  If I have to work beyond, then its a long way to July 4th, but I'd be somewhat annoyed to quit say on June 30th only to see a holiday roll around 7 days later that I could have been paid to play on!  So that may be a factor (I'm looking at you July 17th as a plan B!). 

I know the OMY is looked down upon around here, and the OLY is cheered, but for me this OMY I'm currently on (although I am totally ready now to not be sitting at a desk in an office), is a good thing as it has allowed me more time to get mentally prepared and work through some optimizations and give my spouse time to get established in a new position.  I've made sure to take long lunches and walk to work whenever possible and use the time to daydream/solidify my thinking.   I just put put my kids on the bus to start the new school year, and I'm planning this school year to be the last for me at my job!  Future work, if I choose to pursue it, will not involve sitting on my butt in an air conditioned office.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:52:31 PM by Pylortes »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1019 on: August 15, 2018, 10:58:41 AM »
Great thoughtful post @Pylortes.  All of us have multiple things to ponder as the date gets closer, and we try to do that 'calculus' to come up with the perfect departure time. 

You are right that OLY is always cheered here, and OMY is often booed . . . but at least from my perspective it's in good fun.  Everyone's situation is so different that there is no one right way.  There are plenty of times when OMY may be the best thing to do (as you proved yourself).   

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1020 on: August 15, 2018, 11:23:51 AM »
I have been doing some thinking. I've only posted once in this thread since I joined after moving back from 2018 when my spouse decided to take a different career opportunity that altered our plans somewhat.   I'm now targeting end of May 2019.  But there may be some movement in that date depending on: 

...snip...

I just put put my kids on the bus to start the new school year, and I'm planning this school year to be the last for me at my job!  Future work, if I choose to pursue it, will not involve sitting on my butt in an air conditioned office.

That is a lot of thoughtful planning.  I really like your last bit I bolded above.  So much opportunity. 

My dad retired when i was in middle school, and having him around regularly was a gift that could not be measured.  Mom was a teacher, so she was also around when we were.  A great combo! 

LV

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #1021 on: August 15, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »
Thanks LV- my oldest just started middle school yesterday.  My younger son will still be in elementary school for a few more years.   

They are now at separate schools starting this year.  My older son's middle school starts about an hour earlier, so my wife gets him up and ready to go and walks him to the bus (which was formerly my job when they were both in elementary school) then goes to work so she can get off a little earlier to pick him up at the end of the day.  My younger son starts later, so I'm still out there with him waiting for the bus.  Today my younger son and I grabbed our baseball gloves and played catch for 10 mins while waiting. Some days we shoot baskets or pull a soccer ball out and play.  But I'm missing those moments with my middle-schooler this year because of his earlier school schedule.  Next year I'll get to welcome them both home off the bus (an hour apart) in the middle of the afternoon!  We may get some crazy neighborhood baseball games or video game or homework time in (if they need help) in before mom comes home.   Just those extra moments are worth a lot when your kids are still in their formative years and appreciate the time you spend with them.

On the flip side, my parents (divorced) live halfway across the country and I currently only get to see them maybe once or twice a year for a week or so at a time.  They are hitting their early 70's and are in very good health, but who knows how long that will last?  I am looking forward to be able to visit them more often and for longer duration while they can still do active things. And as they get older, I can hopefully be of more assistance and take off to help them if needed. I also plan to help my wife by taking over cooking, cleaning, shopping, housework etc.  Plus even with all of that, I will still get more time for myself to think/read/relax/hobbies.   Just need to finish this last year strong.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1022 on: August 15, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »

Today my younger son and I grabbed our baseball gloves and played catch for 10 mins while waiting. Some days we shoot baskets or pull a soccer ball out and play. 

^^^^
Priceless!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1023 on: August 17, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »

Today my younger son and I grabbed our baseball gloves and played catch for 10 mins while waiting. Some days we shoot baskets or pull a soccer ball out and play. 

^^^^
Priceless!

+1.  These are the things that matter. 

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1024 on: August 17, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »
Per PM from sui generis, she is confirmed FIREd effective today -- Congratulations @sui generis!   

01/??/19     MoneyStacher  (51)
01/??/19     PhilB  (53)                       OLY -- Planning 10/??/18; Possible PT into 2019
02/15/19     sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18.
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/08/19     ChasesFish
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Roboturner  (30)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
03/31/19     TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- Planning 10/31/2018.   
04/01/19     Trifele  (52)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)
05/??/19     cerat0n1a                         OLY -- CONFIRMED summer 2018
05/??/19     dude                               
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/14/19     Mr. Ver (40)
05/17/19     Loren Ver (37)
05/31/19     Pylortes  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
06/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     Bateaux  (50)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
08/12/19     Canadian Ben  (29)
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/27/19     Spreadsheet Man
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
12/??/19     markbike528cbx  (55)        OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:

Lowerbills (40)
Chrissy (42)
Gerard
getoutsoon (52)
ysette9 (38)
Elaine amj (40)
IPlawyer
Chairman                           SemiFIRE 2018
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 04:09:16 AM by Trifele »

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1025 on: August 17, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »
@Trifele   my FIRE date is 5/31/19     Thanks!

@sui generis  CONGRATS!!!  Outstanding news!!!

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1026 on: August 17, 2018, 12:54:40 PM »
Thank you!  It's definitely exciting, although quite unreal, to be here on my last day.  They are throwing a happy hour for me this afternoon - which I don't love because I hate being the center of attention - but should be a good way to end on a nice note.

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1027 on: August 17, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »
Congrats to pulling the trigger sui! Let us know how it goes!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1028 on: August 17, 2018, 05:24:42 PM »
Thank you!  It's definitely exciting, although quite unreal, to be here on my last day.  They are throwing a happy hour for me this afternoon - which I don't love because I hate being the center of attention - but should be a good way to end on a nice note.

Woot woot!!

Making me feel even more anxious for next year!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1029 on: August 19, 2018, 08:35:06 AM »
Got messages from a few of our TBD friends.  Gerard is firming up his date, aiming for July of 19; Chrissy's DH (but not Chrissy at this time) is now looking at 12/31/19; ysette9 is out, but wishes us all well; and Chairman already pulled the plug.  Congrats @Chairman!

01/01/19     MoneyStacher  (51)
01/31/19     PhilB  (53)                      OLY -- Planning 10/??/18
02/15/19     sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18.
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/08/19     ChasesFish
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Roboturner  (30)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
03/31/19     TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- Planning 10/31/2018.   
04/01/19     Trifele  (52)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)
05/??/19     cerat0n1a                         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
05/??/19     dude                               
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/14/19     Mr. Ver (40)
05/17/19     Loren Ver (37)
05/31/19     Pylortes  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
06/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/06/19     Bognish (44)
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     Bateaux  (50)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45) 
07/03/19     Gerard
08/12/19     Canadian Ben  (29)
08/19/18     Chairman                         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/27/19     Spreadsheet Man
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
12/??/19     markbike528cbx  (55)        OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)
12/31/19     Chrissy's DH

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
Elaine amj (40)
IPlawyer
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:59:31 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1030 on: August 19, 2018, 01:59:30 PM »
Yah Chairman!  I hope it is fantastic!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1031 on: August 19, 2018, 02:48:28 PM »
Thanks for updating the list, Trifele.

Prairie Stash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1032 on: August 21, 2018, 12:26:50 PM »
I'm coming out and saying June 1. Like many, I'll have a couple months variance on it.

In fairness, I may be a false retirement. I'm mulling over setting up a consulting shop for fun. I think I could handle 300 hours/year, I struggle with letting go at the moment. Of course, if I do no work, thats fine.

IMO its FIRE if you don't need to work, also you need to be able to skip wearing pants.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1033 on: August 21, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
I'm coming out and saying June 1. Like many, I'll have a couple months variance on it.

In fairness, I may be a false retirement. I'm mulling over setting up a consulting shop for fun. I think I could handle 300 hours/year, I struggle with letting go at the moment. Of course, if I do no work, thats fine.

IMO its FIRE if you don't need to work, also you need to be able to skip wearing pants.

Welcome aboard @Prairie Stash -- got you added.   Agree 100% it counts as FIREd if you do only what you want -- pants optional.  :)

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #1034 on: August 21, 2018, 02:58:51 PM »
My kids start summer vacation June 6, 2019. I plan on joining them. I will be 44. We should have the funds to be permanent FIRE - no plans for other work, pensions or rentals. Wife is SAHM. I am planning on seasonal reassessment of work or some consulting going forward, but day dreaming of weekday rock climbing & skiing. It will be hard to keep dad toys and gearing up 2 kids for outdoor sports on a FIRE budget.

Right now its strange to let cash build up in a money market account. I have been 100% invested in stock mutual funds for almost 20 years. I can see it will be a huge shift in mind set to start drawing down investments. I can't remember if I have ever hit the sell button at Fidelity.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1035 on: August 21, 2018, 03:43:08 PM »
Welcome @bognish!  Added you to the spreadsheet.  That's going to be one fine summer for you.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1036 on: August 21, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
If you could keep your job with 2-3 months continuous vacation every summer, plus 40 vacation days sprinkled whenever you want throughout the year, would you do it? Sounds good enough. There are a few things I want to do in FIRE, but probably after 3 months I'll be tired of them. Also I'm starting to understand better how to be at my happiest even while working, no need to be miserable. I don't know, just pondering. It's kind of like being in love for the first time, or being very very hungry and thinking you'll need 1 week straight for just eating but then you eat 1 big pizza in 10 minutes and you're nauseous already. I just wonder what it would be like to be in vacation 365 days a year.

Nevermind, that's institutionalization speaking ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 10:06:08 PM by gerardc »

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: August 22, 2018, 01:07:54 AM »

Reading that last sentence from the UK conjures up a very strange image of someone using a skipping rope in just their underwear.  Is that part of your 'coming out' ?

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1038 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
How's everyone doing?  I've just had my head down at work, putting one foot in front of the other.  August tends to be pretty quiet with lots of people on vacation, meetings getting canceled, etc.  I'm hoping to slide on in to the end of the month without too much stress and then -- it's September!

I did hear something super funny this week.  If you remember, we're being bought by Megacorp and "integration" is underway.   Turns out Megacorp has a dress code which is way stricter than anything we currently have.  It includes no bare legs (pantyhose required with skirts and dresses) for women, and no bare shoulders.

Don't get me wrong, I 'clean up' and dress nicely for work.  But pantyhose and sleeves are hot, and the building I work in is stuffy.  I'm not sweating against my will at work -- they can bite me.  Plus I'm in the 'Absolutely No Clothes Shopping All Year" challenge in the MMM Throw Down the Gauntlet thread.  I don't have any pantyhose and no way I'm going to buy them (and fail the challenge) because of some stupid work rule.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!  :)   

Still on track. My account balances are @$790k, and my retirement (i.e., pension) eligibility is 8 months away. No plans to alter my plan. May 2019.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1039 on: August 23, 2018, 05:29:23 AM »
Welcome folks that just got added to the list!!

This week has really started to chaff at work.  Nothing particular, just all my good productive time is being used at work, so that when I get home I am tired and really have to push to do the things i want to get done, even if they are fun.

There is something I am considering:
There is a "rumor" at work that my sub-function has been asked to look for redundancy in head count.  The company is going through some big changes so it needs to straighten out before Q2 next year.  Anyway, i have been debating telling my boss in my next 1:1 that I would like to be considered to downsizing if that is an option and they are doing packages. 

Past me was far more safe and timid and would never even consider this.  But I talked to DH about it last night (while sitting in our project van).  The risks are pretty low (things like, if they say no, I could still be rated poorly and get a small bonus next year).  The normal buy out is 2 weeks pay per year of service.  I hit 10 years in October.  I would NOT bring up the FIRE plans in this discussion, just that I would like to be considered for a buy out if that is possible.  I am one of the newest to this function (10 months); if they needs to lay someone off, I'd rather it be me for lots of reasons. 

My boss also lives in another country, so I don't have to see him daily if this makes things odd.  I haven't had him as a boss for long, but he is by far the best leader I have ever had (the distance may or may not be a factor in this) but he is also the most experienced leader I have had as well.   

Meeting is Sept 5th, so some time to think on it....

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1040 on: August 23, 2018, 05:52:49 AM »
Welcome folks that just got added to the list!!

This week has really started to chaff at work.  Nothing particular, just all my good productive time is being used at work, so that when I get home I am tired and really have to push to do the things i want to get done, even if they are fun.

There is something I am considering:
There is a "rumor" at work that my sub-function has been asked to look for redundancy in head count.  The company is going through some big changes so it needs to straighten out before Q2 next year.  Anyway, i have been debating telling my boss in my next 1:1 that I would like to be considered to downsizing if that is an option and they are doing packages. 

Past me was far more safe and timid and would never even consider this.  But I talked to DH about it last night (while sitting in our project van).  The risks are pretty low (things like, if they say no, I could still be rated poorly and get a small bonus next year).  The normal buy out is 2 weeks pay per year of service.  I hit 10 years in October.  I would NOT bring up the FIRE plans in this discussion, just that I would like to be considered for a buy out if that is possible.  I am one of the newest to this function (10 months); if they needs to lay someone off, I'd rather it be me for lots of reasons. 

My boss also lives in another country, so I don't have to see him daily if this makes things odd.  I haven't had him as a boss for long, but he is by far the best leader I have ever had (the distance may or may not be a factor in this) but he is also the most experienced leader I have had as well.   

If they are laying off with severance packages and you have told them you would be interested, could your severance package become lower? On the other hand, you don't want them to ask someone else first, who gets the package instead. If your company must let people go, then they might appreciate that someone goes voluntarily. But let them know you want the package.

My DH is also thinking about letting his new boss know that maybe within a year the boss should be looking for a replacement of DH's function. DH wants to spend his last year working by doing more normal engineer work, instead of leader.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1041 on: August 23, 2018, 03:16:30 PM »
Snip

If they are laying off with severance packages and you have told them you would be interested, could your severance package become lower? On the other hand, you don't want them to ask someone else first, who gets the package instead. If your company must let people go, then they might appreciate that someone goes voluntarily. But let them know you want the package.

My DH is also thinking about letting his new boss know that maybe within a year the boss should be looking for a replacement of DH's function. DH wants to spend his last year working by doing more normal engineer work, instead of leader.

As far as I know my company as never done voluntary layoffs, so I would be going outside the box.  Not sure what could or would happen :s.

Do you think you DH boss will let him shift to engineer work for his last year?  I can see why that would be more appealing.

LV

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1042 on: August 24, 2018, 01:50:33 AM »
Snip

As far as I know my company as never done voluntary layoffs, so I would be going outside the box.  Not sure what could or would happen :s.

Do you think you DH boss will let him shift to engineer work for his last year?  I can see why that would be more appealing.

LV

Yes. Engineers with as much experience as my DH are very rare and hard to hire. DH thinks it might be easier to hire another experienced engineer with management ambitions to take over his job. Also, DH has a heart condition and can use that as an argument to work in a position with less stress.
But DH would like to keep his management salary. I'm not sure the boss with buy into that.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1043 on: August 24, 2018, 05:53:30 AM »
Happy Friday everyone!

I shared this over on the 'Cheap Things That Make You Happy Thread.'  To count down my last 100 work days to FIRE, I printed off a free coloring page showing a lovely beach scene.  I numbered the sections from 1 to 100, and each day when I get home from work I color in a section.  I'm taking a picture each day too, so at the end I can combine them into a video. 

:)

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #1044 on: August 24, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
Happy Friday everyone!

I shared this over on the 'Cheap Things That Make You Happy Thread.'  To count down my last 100 work days to FIRE, I printed off a free coloring page showing a lovely beach scene.  I numbered the sections from 1 to 100, and each day when I get home from work I color in a section.  I'm taking a picture each day too, so at the end I can combine them into a video. 

That's so fun!  What are you coloring first?

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #1045 on: August 24, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »
Happy Friday everyone!

Great idea, but I would definitely do the coloring at work rather than home.  But maybe that's just me. :)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1046 on: August 24, 2018, 01:22:22 PM »
Happy Friday everyone!

That's so fun!  What are you coloring first?

I'm working from the lower left corner upward.  So far I've colored in a seashell and a starfish, and the path leading up to a sandcastle.  I'll finish in the upper right corner in early 2019 by coloring in the sun!

It's fun -- I haven't colored in years.  And haha Pylortes -- you're right it might be even more fun to do this at work and come up with clever answers to whatever questions I might get!

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1047 on: August 28, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
Hello to those joining the cohort, as recently discussed we are the most awesome of the cohorts!

I really love hearing about people that really look at things and then cut years off the work plan.  That is soo heartening!

Thank you for sharing!

LV

Just checking out this cohort to see if it's cool enough for me to switch from the 2018 cohort. (Short version, told my boss I was leaving last week.  Boss' boss took me to a back room and gave me an offer I can't refuse that may lead to OMY. Lots of internal debating going on in my head so current status is day to day.  Then again, we're all day to day.)

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #1048 on: August 28, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »

Just checking out this cohort to see if it's cool enough for me to switch from the 2018 cohort. (Short version, told my boss I was leaving last week.  Boss' boss took me to a back room and gave me an offer I can't refuse that may lead to OMY. Lots of internal debating going on in my head so current status is day to day.  Then again, we're all day to day.)

Hi @SugarMountain  -- Sure, join the party if you like.  We welcome all OMY and OLY'ers.   The back room talk with the boss's boss and the "offer you can't refuse" sound vaguely sinister, but it sounds like it worked out well for you.  ;)

Let us know when you know for sure, and we'll get you added to the spreadsheet.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1049 on: August 28, 2018, 09:39:53 AM »

Hi @SugarMountain  -- Sure, join the party if you like.  We welcome all OMY and OLY'ers.   The back room talk with the boss's boss and the "offer you can't refuse" sound vaguely sinister, but it sounds like it worked out well for you.  ;)

Let us know when you know for sure, and we'll get you added to the spreadsheet.

Yeah, mostly joking about the sinisterness of it. Basically he's saying I shouldn't quit yet, he'll put me in a different role with none of the stress or responsibility of my current job, but the salary will continue.  The things I haven't figure out are why he is doing this and what I will be doing.  It was a weird conversation.  I'll be journaling as things develop.  I wouldn't add me yet, I think when I get to October I'll end up making a decision about whether this is worth another year or not.