Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793007 times)

Thedividebyzero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The divide by zero
Zero progress update
« Reply #800 on: June 16, 2018, 03:47:46 AM »
Life has been quite hectic since first posting in the 2019 FIRE cohort thread.  Thought I would check in and give a quick update on our progress.

The Zeroes are still on track for July 2019.  Only changes to our plans are:
-  Stache projection has grown.  Expect to be at 28X expected FIRE spending and more than 50X barebones by next July.
-  although work is grinding me to the bone, I am keeping the idea open that I may work until Dec 2019 if my employer is willing to accept me working from the location of my choosing.  Plan is to inform my employer in Jan 2019 of my intention to move to our retirement location in Jul 2019.  Whether that means resigning or continuing to work will be up to them and the overall level of sucktitude I am enduring at that moment.

I have serious short timers disease.  But I have to admit that having a sizable FU stache makes dealing with difficult moments at work much easier. 

Good luck to all of you.  2019 or bust!

- Zero

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #801 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
Using trailing 12 month expenses ($21,760), I am sitting at 18.5x, which equates to a 5.4% withdrawal rate.

Last July was very spendy, so those 12 month expenses will look look much better next month and if market co-operates I should hit 20X+ expenses by end of July.

50 more weeks!

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Zero progress update
« Reply #802 on: June 18, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »
I have serious short timers disease.  But I have to admit that having a sizable FU stache makes dealing with difficult moments at work much easier. 

Mine is at all time highs, there is no cure.  I thought I would feel more like you but having the FU stash makes it that more difficult for me. 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #803 on: June 18, 2018, 09:53:31 AM »
I'm going to lurk here for a bit. My original date is June 7, 2021, but I've recently been thinking about pulling the plug early and moving to Mexico. So this would pull me by 2 years, I'll stick a pin in it for now.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #804 on: June 18, 2018, 04:03:17 PM »

Mine is at all time highs, there is no cure.  I thought I would feel more like you but having the FU stash makes it that more difficult for me.

Having FU stash and now being FI hasn't really changed my feelings much about my job.  If anything, I'm more likely to daydream of FIRE than I used to.  I have it pretty good at work with my own office now, so that helps keep me going.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #805 on: June 18, 2018, 09:34:20 PM »
Had a good day at "work" today, chaired a big fundraising golf tournament.  I had that moment of nostalgia sitting around with the staff and volunteers afterwards, nice to be part of something and use my position at work to raise $87,000 net for a good cause.

I know I can do that stuff in retirement too, but it's not as easy in a new area and I can't use my position for influence.

Random thoughts, I know I won't be there next year but they're setup for success

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #806 on: June 19, 2018, 02:58:45 AM »
I'm going to lurk here for a bit. My original date is June 7, 2021, but I've recently been thinking about pulling the plug early and moving to Mexico. So this would pull me by 2 years, I'll stick a pin in it for now.

Welcome Sisto -- lurk all you like.  Many of us lurk on the 2018 thread.  :)

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #807 on: June 19, 2018, 10:14:48 AM »

Welcome Sisto -- lurk all you like.  Many of us lurk on the 2018 thread.  :)

Thank you! I have a couple of golden handcuff items sort of holding me to 2021, but things could change. :)

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #808 on: June 20, 2018, 04:29:54 PM »
I announced on June 1st to the head shed my intent to retire from the military.  The big boss and second-in-charge seemed very supportive.  Today I scheduled two 3-hour briefings on June 21st.  Those briefings will lay out the tasks and requirements I will need to do over the next year to retire from the military.  It's going to be a busy year ahead!

Congrats!
Thanks much! Tomorrow the retirement process starts!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #809 on: June 23, 2018, 04:44:04 AM »
Hello 2019 Cohort. 

After doing much math and deciding 2020 was just too far away, DH and I have moved our FIRE date from May 2020 to May 2019.  We are apparently having inverse OMY syndrome. 

This is so exciting. 

Loren

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: June 23, 2018, 04:46:04 AM »
Hello 2019 Cohort. 

After doing much math and deciding 2020 was just too far away, DH and I have moved our FIRE date from May 2020 to May 2019.  We are apparently having inverse OMY syndrome. 

This is so exciting. 

Loren

Good for you!

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
  • Fee-only Financial Planner
« Reply #811 on: June 23, 2018, 06:43:59 AM »
OLY syndrome. One less year.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #812 on: June 23, 2018, 08:30:34 AM »
I've had OLY syndrome ever since I discovered FIRE in 2012 and put together a 15 year plan to retire by 40 =P

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: June 23, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
After spending the mornings of the past two days sitting through presentations and briefings I have a lot to digest.  I have a tentative timeline that will take me to my retirement date in 2019.  First, some terminology that needs to be defined so you know what the heck I'm talking about:

1. Terminal leave:  the amount of vacation days that I must completely use before exiting the service.  I'm projected to have 87 days of vacation I have to use in 2019.
2. Permissive temporary duty:  the 20-day time period allotted for each person retiring to find a job.
3. Clearing:  the process of signing and filing all paperwork to transition out.
4. Medical evaluation:  the process of diagnosing and documenting all my ailments.
5. Transition classes:  classes designed to help me ease back into civilian life.

The tentative timeline looks like this:

Date         Event
1 August 2018         Begin my transition classes
15 August 2018         Submit my retirement paperwork
3 November 2018         Begin my medical evaluation
1 May 2019          LAST DAY OF WORK
2 May 2019          Begin clearing
16 May 2019          Begin permissive temporary duty
6 June 2019          Begin terminal leave
2 September 2019          RETIREMENT DAY

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #814 on: June 23, 2018, 08:36:33 AM »
That's awesome Cornbread.

eta:your username makes me hungry

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: June 23, 2018, 11:01:28 AM »
That's awesome Cornbread.

eta:your username makes me hungry
lol.  I have to make a batch of cornbread for a coworker on Monday.  Thanks for the reminder!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #816 on: June 23, 2018, 06:13:13 PM »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #817 on: June 23, 2018, 11:05:17 PM »
The 2018 cohort is rocking along.  2019 is almost here!   So close!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #818 on: June 24, 2018, 04:27:18 PM »
I was back at work today after a vacation. I had hundreds of emails to wade through. By the time I'd finished, I was ready to run away and never go back. Colleagues squabbling, officialdom dreaming up new ways of wasting our time, and a serious HR situation that's ticking over waiting for my return.

Nine months and some days to go. Six weeks of that will be vacation time. The math works out; I've checked it time and again.

And yet I caught myself working out the logistics of going on a bunch of training courses in October.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #819 on: June 24, 2018, 05:18:46 PM »
I was back at work today after a vacation. I had hundreds of emails to wade through. By the time I'd finished, I was ready to run away and never go back. Colleagues squabbling, officialdom dreaming up new ways of wasting our time, and a serious HR situation that's ticking over waiting for my return.

Nine months and some days to go. Six weeks of that will be vacation time. The math works out; I've checked it time and again.

And yet I caught myself working out the logistics of going on a bunch of training courses in October.

Going back after vacation can be so hard.  Training courses would break up the monotony :). 

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #820 on: June 24, 2018, 10:55:21 PM »

Going back after vacation can be so hard.  Training courses would break up the monotony :).

I'll have had another two short vacations by the time the training courses I'm considering doing take place. And it would be a significant financial outlay and several days away from home for training that will be of no use to me after I leave my job less than six months later. But the bones of my job are intrinsically interesting so it may still be worthwhile.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #821 on: June 25, 2018, 12:51:34 AM »
@TartanTallulah Do you have the option of paid sick leave? Maybe you could claim a period of sick leave because of stress or something else during the last period?

Anyway, 9 months really isn't that long. You have several vacations planned and training courses. You'll survive it. Just don't get too engaged.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #822 on: June 25, 2018, 02:00:14 AM »
@TartanTallulah Do you have the option of paid sick leave? Maybe you could claim a period of sick leave because of stress or something else during the last period?

Anyway, 9 months really isn't that long. You have several vacations planned and training courses. You'll survive it. Just don't get too engaged.

Thanks! I do have the option of fully funded sick leave for a month and partial funding for up to 12 months, but I'm nowhere near that point. I know this because three years ago my job (the same one) did break me and I had four months off sick followed by a phased return. I always feel the need to add that I wasn't swinging the lead, I was totally off my rocker, though my colleagues at work claimed not to have noticed a thing.

I'm planning to remain fully engaged with the nuts and bolts of the job right up until I slip away "for a few months off", but the wearisome box-ticking and administration, maybe not so much.

I've taken the initiative in bringing in two contractors for a couple of days a week, ostensibly to reduce my own workload because I've been carrying the biggest load but in the hope that at least one will want to commit long term. We're privileged to have been able to secure this help when other local organisations are struggling as much as we are. I've undertaken to ensure nobody else loses work sessions or income. In theory, this should lead to me having some pleasant two-day working weeks.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: June 25, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
OLY, I love that. I might be TLY, really trying to figure out how to pull it off.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #824 on: June 26, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
I've been OMY'ing for the last 2 years, but think I'm really going to pull the plug around April 1, 2019.  Will be 45. 

I told myself if I worked this last year, I would treat the money as fun money.  First up... a $12,000 Antarctica cruise I just booked for November 2019.   I have my eye on a trip to the North Pole but it's embarrassing how expensive that is!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #825 on: June 26, 2018, 07:35:19 PM »
I told myself if I worked this last year, I would treat the money as fun money.  First up... a $12,000 Antarctica cruise I just booked for November 2019.
A trip to Antarctica will be quite the bomb.  Be sure to book a company that will give you the opportunity to actually walk on the continent.  I claimed my 7th continent back in 2010 and would love to return to visit Ernest Shackleton's grave at Grytviken on South Georgia Island.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #826 on: June 27, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »
I told myself if I worked this last year, I would treat the money as fun money.  First up... a $12,000 Antarctica cruise I just booked for November 2019.
A trip to Antarctica will be quite the bomb.  Be sure to book a company that will give you the opportunity to actually walk on the continent.  I claimed my 7th continent back in 2010 and would love to return to visit Ernest Shackleton's grave at Grytviken on South Georgia Island.

Yep, this is a 19 day with quark - 2 days falklands, 4 days South Georgia, and 4 days in Antarctica with landings all around.

I've been to Antarctica before but on a big ship that we couldn't get off :(    This time I'm doing it right. 

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #827 on: June 27, 2018, 07:00:46 PM »
Yep, this is a 19 day with quark - 2 days falklands, 4 days South Georgia, and 4 days in Antarctica with landings all around.

I've been to Antarctica before but on a big ship that we couldn't get off :(    This time I'm doing it right.
I suggest bringing ginger chewing gum to battle queasiness while crossing the Drake Passage!

Thedividebyzero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The divide by zero
« Reply #828 on: June 28, 2018, 04:29:20 PM »

Having FU stash and now being FI hasn't really changed my feelings much about my job.  If anything, I'm more likely to daydream of FIRE than I used to.  I have it pretty good at work with my own office now, so that helps keep me going.

Oh, daydreaming is what makes unwinding from those those tough days easier.  What’s hit me recently is that the days of daydreaming will soon be replaced with actually doing this FIRE thing!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #829 on: June 28, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
Oh, daydreaming is what makes unwinding from those those tough days easier.  What’s hit me recently is that the days of daydreaming will soon be replaced with actually doing this FIRE thing!
I've been doing the same especially right now because my heart is not in the current big project.  I struggle through the work and tell myself I just need to get through another nine months.  May 1st 2019 is my final day of work!!

Thedividebyzero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The divide by zero
« Reply #830 on: June 28, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
I've been doing the same especially right now because my heart is not in the current big project.  I struggle through the work and tell myself I just need to get through another nine months.  May 1st 2019 is my final day of work!!

I have the same thoughts...  “I just need to get through the next 12 months.”  It’s really not the healthiest of mindsets, but I am afraid the thought pattern is going to be hard to escape.   I’m hoping as RE day gets closer, it will evolve to more feelings of giddiness.  Best of luck Cornbread.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #831 on: June 29, 2018, 05:13:28 AM »

I probably mentioned it before, but DH and I are planning to ask for working PT after the summer, 80%. This will cost us 15-20% income and increase our working life with some months. But having a long weekend every single week should increase our happiness by a lot. We often use long weekends to go camping (in the wild) or visit our cabin. These are the most positive things in our life. Waiting for another year and in my case probably year and a half while working full time in the hamster wheel is not so very tempting. Our jobs are both stressful at times and damaging our health. We need to take measures.
[/quote]

I think that is a great idea.  I hope your work is willing to work with you.  Having three day weekends would be awesome!

LV

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #832 on: June 29, 2018, 05:19:39 AM »
Doing my best not to call June finished a day early... but I was bored 😐

June was a very good month and our NW climbed handily despite our property values still falling. The Australian sharemarket had a bumper month which easily compensated everything else.

CFiresim says if DW and I FIRED today we would have more than a 75% chance of our stash lasting 40 years, and if I trimmed our spending by a mere 5% that probability climbs to 88%.

With a little flexibility, and the prospect of earning something, somehow over the next 40 years I take comfort that we are getting very close to a safe place financially.

The sobering thought is that the probability of me living 40 more years is only 32%. Gulp. At least DW has a 70% chance of still being around to see whether our withdrawal strategy is successful.

I’ll try and see out 12 more months working to get a bit closer to, or maybe even reach 25x.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #833 on: June 30, 2018, 07:53:15 AM »
I'm putting June into the books just a few hours early. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was a primal scream of:  ONLY SIX MONTHS LEFT IN 2018!  We are getting there folks, and it's feeling pretty damn real! 

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #834 on: June 30, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
It won’t feel truly real until I write my resignation letter. That won’t be until Feb or even Mar next year.

I have to fly to Sydney in early March, so might hand in my notice on my return, or maybe just before I leave for Aust. It’ll be fun being back home in Sydney able to tell everyone that I have resigned and am coming home.

The plan is to finish up at end of June. Just looking at the calendar now I guess it’ll be 27 June.

So 362 days remaining..... less 104 weekend days.... 30 days leave.... 9 public holidays... makes it around 219 work days to go.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 12:33:36 PM by itchyfeet »

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #835 on: June 30, 2018, 12:29:28 PM »

I'm looking at early June of next year at this point, so it's too far off to get too excited.  Over 11 months.  I don't want time to go by quickly, even if it means FIRE will come sooner.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #836 on: June 30, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »
Yeah, I have plenty of things to look forward to even before I get to FIRE, starting with a trip to Tanzania next month. Yeow!

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #837 on: June 30, 2018, 01:18:46 PM »
One more quarter down, just 3 more to go!

7/15: 41.6% FI
10/15: 40.1%
1/16: 45.6%
4/16: 50.4%
7/16: 53.7%
10/16: 60.7%* (due to reducing expenses and better modeling, we reduced our FI target from 1.8million to 1.7)
1/17: 63.5%
4/17: 75.3%
7/17: 44.4* (Condo purchase. FI target reduced from 1.7million to 1.3, not including condo.)
10/17: 50.6%
1/18: 56.3%
4/18: 62.3%
7/18: 64.6%

Our net worth didn't increase as much as I had hoped this quarter. This was mostly due to having to pay a bunch of taxes in April: I didn't calculate correctly the tax hit of selling some investments to pay for the condo we bought last year. At least there wasn't a big penalty!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #838 on: June 30, 2018, 07:54:20 PM »
One more quarter down, just 3 more to go!

7/15: 41.6% FI
10/15: 40.1%
1/16: 45.6%
4/16: 50.4%
7/16: 53.7%
10/16: 60.7%* (due to reducing expenses and better modeling, we reduced our FI target from 1.8million to 1.7)
1/17: 63.5%
4/17: 75.3%
7/17: 44.4* (Condo purchase. FI target reduced from 1.7million to 1.3, not including condo.)
10/17: 50.6%
1/18: 56.3%
4/18: 62.3%
7/18: 64.6%

Our net worth didn't increase as much as I had hoped this quarter. This was mostly due to having to pay a bunch of taxes in April: I didn't calculate correctly the tax hit of selling some investments to pay for the condo we bought last year. At least there wasn't a big penalty!

Do you think you can get from 64% to 100% this coming 12-18 months?

We are pretty much at 90% and for us I doubt we’ll quite reach the target before we FIRE. We do however anticipate spending a little less first year post fire as we will be travelling and won’t have a house yet. Hopefully over 3-5 years post FIRE we can edge our NW a smidge higher.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #839 on: June 30, 2018, 09:51:02 PM »
At our current savings rate, I'm projecting that in 12 months we'll be a little over 80%. I've been negotiating a layoff for Q2 next year and severance will pay out until the end of the year. That gets us to 90% at the end of 2019. My wife wants to work through 2020 and between that and selling a bunch of collectables I've been carting around since the '90s should get us across the finish line late 2020.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #840 on: July 01, 2018, 04:14:39 AM »
Found out Friday at work that I will (sadly) most likely not be laid off as part of the current Megacorp takeover.  The last couple of months have been a weird rollercoaster.  First we thought our whole department might bite the dust, and now Megacorp is saying they will keep us around and not consider layoffs until at least the end of next year.  Too long for me.  I'll be gone. (hee hee hee)

A layoff with some severance close to my FIRE date would have been sweet. But all's good -- I'll just grind it out to the end like I was going to anyway.  I've got about 140 working days to go.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #841 on: July 01, 2018, 05:29:57 AM »
Found out Friday at work that I will (sadly) most likely not be laid off as part of the current Megacorp takeover.  The last couple of months have been a weird rollercoaster.  First we thought our whole department might bite the dust, and now Megacorp is saying they will keep us around and not consider layoffs until at least the end of next year.  Too long for me.  I'll be gone. (hee hee hee)

A layoff with some severance close to my FIRE date would have been sweet. But all's good -- I'll just grind it out to the end like I was going to anyway.  I've got about 140 working days to go.

I'm really sorry to hear that...I had my fingers crossed for the entire past eighteen months hoping I could be in a round of expense cuts.  Sadly, I run a team that produces a lot of revenue.  Now the wait is on for some stock that's due in February (when it all would have come immediately due in a layoff)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #842 on: July 03, 2018, 07:15:52 AM »
Whispers.

I've written my letter of resignation from my current job, with a planned finishing date of 31st October 2018.

I'm not leaving this cohort yet because I don't know what the implications for my future working life will be. I'm only 54, I don't feel as if I'm done with work forever, but I need to cut loose from THIS job at the earliest opportunity. Every time I think it can't get worse, it does. The tipping point was dragging myself away from my desk, leaving about four hours of paperwork to be done on one of my days off, at half past midnight one night last week. I promised myself I would never become that person, and I owe it to myself to keep that promise.

In a way it's a FU Money scenario because I'm being treated as if I don't have options when in fact I do.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #843 on: July 03, 2018, 07:38:29 AM »
I've started mentionning my 2019 departure to some people.

I expect the rumor mill will go crazy with it. (Gasp he hasn't done 20 years, he's not even 30 years old)

Followed by the people asking me whats wrong with me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #844 on: July 03, 2018, 07:39:49 AM »
Whispers.

I've written my letter of resignation from my current job, with a planned finishing date of 31st October 2018.

I'm not leaving this cohort yet because I don't know what the implications for my future working life will be. I'm only 54, I don't feel as if I'm done with work forever, but I need to cut loose from THIS job at the earliest opportunity. Every time I think it can't get worse, it does. The tipping point was dragging myself away from my desk, leaving about four hours of paperwork to be done on one of my days off, at half past midnight one night last week. I promised myself I would never become that person, and I owe it to myself to keep that promise.

In a way it's a FU Money scenario because I'm being treated as if I don't have options when in fact I do.

Congrats on making the step to leave.

I have a colleague like you, answering work emails at Sunday midnight after leaving on holiday. This cannot be good for a person.

You can always consider taking a less stressful or part time job, even though that might delay your FIRE a bit.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #845 on: July 03, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
Whispers.

Congrats on making the step to leave.

I have a colleague like you, answering work emails at Sunday midnight after leaving on holiday. This cannot be good for a person.

You can always consider taking a less stressful or part time job, even though that might delay your FIRE a bit.

Thanks! I shall be both RE and a cheeseparing sort of FI, but the only reason for me not to do some sort of work in the future would be that I discover I don't want to. At the moment, I think I will. Just not something with open-ended and increasing demand and limited and diminishing rewards.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #846 on: July 03, 2018, 01:21:17 PM »
I've had OLY syndrome ever since I discovered FIRE in 2012 and put together a 15 year plan to retire by 40 =P

Ha. Me, too. I forget my original date, but I know I shaved years off of the original plan.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #847 on: July 04, 2018, 07:40:01 AM »
I am unfortunately definitively out of this cohort. I did some recalculations in my excel sheet and deleted 2019 from it, as it was only confusing. We still have some stash to save up.
In addition I have just been granted to work 80%, because I hope to get some more enjoyable life out of our weekends. That should influence our savings rate in a negative way, but I hope it is worth it. Otherwise I can always go back to 100%. But anyway, I think that 2019 is out of the question.

I will get an estate broker to look at our house next week. I hope he will say the house is worth a lot more than my conservative estimate that I am counting with.
On the other hand, my stash isn't growing as I hoped for this year. It is growing the amount of money I put into it every month, but I get very little help from the market this year. I have a mixture of 5 index funds, and not only the world wide one.

Lews Therin

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Magnum Stache
« Reply #848 on: July 04, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »

Ha. Me, too. I forget my original date, but I know I shaved years off of the original plan.

In two years I went from 2042 (non MMM date)
to 2025

Gotta love reducing expenses.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #849 on: July 04, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
I am unfortunately definitively out of this cohort. I did some recalculations in my excel sheet and deleted 2019 from it, as it was only confusing. We still have some stash to save up.
In addition I have just been granted to work 80%, because I hope to get some more enjoyable life out of our weekends. That should influence our savings rate in a negative way, but I hope it is worth it. Otherwise I can always go back to 100%. But anyway, I think that 2019 is out of the question.

I will get an estate broker to look at our house next week. I hope he will say the house is worth a lot more than my conservative estimate that I am counting with.
On the other hand, my stash isn't growing as I hoped for this year. It is growing the amount of money I put into it every month, but I get very little help from the market this year. I have a mixture of 5 index funds, and not only the world wide one.

Although I'm sorry to hear you're out Linda, it sounds like you are making some great steps to maximize happiness!  And that's what this is really all about.  Congrats!