Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793104 times)

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #400 on: October 05, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »
I'm settling into a new job and FIRE timeline is still on track while my net worth recently passed $1.3 million.  $760K of that is accounts that I can use now.  The rest is locked in tax-advantaged accounts that I can't touch until age 59.5.  That market is cooking and has added the incredible surge on my bottom line in the past year.  However, I'm steeling myself for the inevitable market peak and downtrend.  The strategy I'm following to deal with this inevitable event is building up my cash reserves to around 24 months of living expenses to withstand the downturn.  Current cash reserves is $34K, and I think around $80K is enough to provide cushion and financial flexibility.  The second part of the strategy is to just keep contributing to my accounts for the next 12 months and reassessing.

If the downtrend occurs within the next two years I will be okay because the paycheck is still coming in.  And I hope I can ride the uptrend into FIRE.  If the downtrend occurs after I FIRE then I pull out the cash cushion.

tipster350

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: October 05, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
I'm settling into a new job and FIRE timeline is still on track while my net worth recently passed $1.3 million.  $760K of that is accounts that I can use now.  The rest is locked in tax-advantaged accounts that I can't touch until age 59.5.  That market is cooking and has added the incredible surge on my bottom line in the past year.  However, I'm steeling myself for the inevitable market peak and downtrend.  The strategy I'm following to deal with this inevitable event is building up my cash reserves to around 24 months of living expenses to withstand the downturn.  Current cash reserves is $34K, and I think around $80K is enough to provide cushion and financial flexibility.  The second part of the strategy is to just keep contributing to my accounts for the next 12 months and reassessing.

If the downtrend occurs within the next two years I will be okay because the paycheck is still coming in.  And I hope I can ride the uptrend into FIRE.  If the downtrend occurs after I FIRE then I pull out the cash cushion.

We are on a similar track. My NW is a little lower and my accounts are a little higher, but it washes out to be similar enough. I have the cash now and am funneling the rest to retirement accounts. I have enough to last me until 59.5 if need be.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #402 on: October 05, 2017, 12:29:02 PM »
This market is nuts.  I've already passed my 2019 goal.  Don't worry though peeps, I'm still holding out until then to celebrate with you.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #403 on: October 06, 2017, 12:25:11 AM »
Well, as soon as I post my comment the market surges more and overall fear of a market correction is at an all time low.  Nonetheless, I will stick with my aforementioned strategy.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #404 on: October 06, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
When the news stops calling the rising market a bubble, then you know we're in a bubble.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: October 06, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
When the news stops calling the rising market a bubble, then you know we're in a bubble.

I haven't gotten any stock tips from my shoeshine boy yet, so at the moment I think we're okay.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: October 06, 2017, 10:52:14 AM »
Well, as soon as I post my comment the market surges more and overall fear of a market correction is at an all time low.  Nonetheless, I will stick with my aforementioned strategy.
I'm finding sticking to my strategy of hanging on to mid 2019 is getting harder and harder.  These stock valuations are not helping.  The variance between actual and budget when I did the numbers today is up to about 19 months worth of spending.  Add in the fact that my 2019 spending plan is based on a 3.6% withdrawal rate and also has about a 30% safety margin over what we are currently spending as a family of 4 and large parts of my brain are screaming JFDI!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #407 on: October 06, 2017, 02:40:16 PM »

I haven't gotten any stock tips from my shoeshine boy yet, so at the moment I think we're okay.
You _have_ a shoeshine boy?   The Antimustachian shame :-)   But yes, when you start getting smart stocktips from unlikely sources (mom, dad, taxi drivers, etc) then we'll worry more.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: October 06, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »
I'm finding sticking to my strategy of hanging on to mid 2019 is getting harder and harder.  These stock valuations are not helping.  The variance between actual and budget when I did the numbers today is up to about 19 months worth of spending.  Add in the fact that my 2019 spending plan is based on a 3.6% withdrawal rate and also has about a 30% safety margin over what we are currently spending as a family of 4 and large parts of my brain are screaming JFDI!
Do it!  :-D

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: October 07, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
Posting to follow.

I expect to pay off my mortgage in. 2019, which will results in FI!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: October 09, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
Yesterday I realized that I was so focused on building cash reserves that I totally forgot about accounting for my pension.  In 2019 I'm eligible for a pension worth $40K annually after taxes.  That $40K will be divided into 12 equal monthly payments, and payments start immediately after separation from the military.  This takes a little pressure off of building the cash reserves to $80K and also gives me flexibility to use my cash reserves for other things.  I will need a new vehicle in the coming years as my current one is now at 228K miles.  It's still running, but I need to have a plan and cash in place when it sputters and dies.  The cash reserves can also be used for a home down payment.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: October 09, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
Yesterday I realized that I was so focused on building cash reserves that I totally forgot about accounting for my pension.  In 2019 I'm eligible for a pension worth $40K annually after taxes.  That $40K will be divided into 12 equal monthly payments, and payments start immediately after separation from the military.  This takes a little pressure off of building the cash reserves to $80K and also gives me flexibility to use my cash reserves for other things.  I will need a new vehicle in the coming years as my current one is now at 228K miles.  It's still running, but I need to have a plan and cash in place when it sputters and dies.  The cash reserves can also be used for a home down payment.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #412 on: October 09, 2017, 11:19:16 PM »
+1.

How can anybody who is seriously following their finances just forget that they have a $40K pension, which is most likely one’s main retirement asset!!

Facepunch!!!!!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #413 on: October 10, 2017, 03:23:31 PM »

You FORGOT the small matter of $40,000 a year? Indulgent eyeroll.

I'm now scratching around the corners of my brain in the hope that I've forgotten something like that too.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #414 on: October 10, 2017, 08:13:38 PM »
I'll admit that during the first few months of reading MMM I regularly found both hidden sources of funds and expenses. I never found anything as large as 40k/yr but I did find things in excess of 10k!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #415 on: October 11, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
I'll admit that during the first few months of reading MMM I regularly found both hidden sources of funds and expenses. I never found anything as large as 40k/yr but I did find things in excess of 10k!

Now that you name it... I have been working in the Netherlands for a year before we emigrated to Norway. Maybe I have built up some tiny financial fund there? Maybe worth investigating it, but it will never be much.

I am pretty sure that the pension from my first job in Norway doesn't generate anything. You had to contribute for minimum 3 years before you would gain any rights and I switched job before those three years had passed.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #416 on: October 11, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »
How can anybody who is seriously following their finances just forget that they have a $40K pension, which is most likely one’s main retirement asset!!

You FORGOT the small matter of $40,000 a year?
Yup.  Tunnel vision.  :-)

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #417 on: October 25, 2017, 01:09:20 PM »
It’s been eight weeks since I set foot in my beige, corporate jail cell. On Friday, August 25, my colleagues and I left our building as usual, laptops in tow with perhaps a few extra office items that would allow us to work remotely from home for a couple of days the following week: Hurricane Harvey was expected to make landfall the following day, making its way north toward Houston by Saturday night, reducing to a slow moving tropical storm.

You likely saw consequences of the storm on TV. My own house, which is maybe 150 yards from one of the bayous that floods my neighborhood regularly, was spared. My wife and I walked over to the bayou during the height of the storm and watched a Coast Guard helicopter plucking people from an apartment complex a couple hundred yards away. By some stroke of luck, I bought a very reasonably priced house on the highest street in the neighborhood about 20 years ago. My only consequence has been survivor guilt as I watch neighbors repeatedly pile their ruined belongings on the curb.

As for my 14-story office building, it too is next to a different bayou, and the normally placid stream turned into a swollen river that day – and stayed that way for a couple of weeks. Water poured into the basements in multiple buildings across the corporate campus. Everything on the first floors was scrapped. Elevator equipment, generators, computer storage rooms and more trashed. The buildings have not had power in weeks and are sealed off to everyone but the army of contractors hired to rip out the ruined and start replacing. The current prediction is we will return to our building sometime next month (booo), but I have my doubts.

I have to hand it to my company for assigning virtually everyone a laptop with the requirement that we haul them home nightly. It’s part of our business continuity plan (BCP). And it’s working … so well that we are being held up as a BCP model for other parts of our global company.

Now I’m not one to revel in destruction, but I do admit to enjoying one side effect: working from home. It’s like a mini-sabbatical. No commute. No annoying co-workers. No dress code. I view it as a preview of my retirement (now officially less than 2 years away!!). I’m not usually that busy, so I’ve had ample time to channel my downtime into nonproductive pursuits. Like binge-watching Breaking Bad. Or prepping my sailboat for a weekend cruise. Or building my wife’s Halloween costume. And I’m loving it!! 

At any rate, the past 8 weeks have really flown by. As an additional bonus, the humid Houston weather has finally given way to fall. It’s dry and cool out, so I open the windows and let the breeze blow through. I rarely drive my car. Except for my sailing trip, I’ve only filled my car’s 13-gallon tank once since the hurricane. My wife is pleased with her stay-at-home hubby because I empty the dishwasher, am home to deal with the plumber, keep the trash and compost managed, etc. Yes, it will soon come to an end, but it’s a wonderful carrot to dangle in front of me and keep me motivated for the next 23 months.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #418 on: October 31, 2017, 02:53:39 AM »
So that’s October done with and my net worth continues to surge upward.

Finally the Australian sharemarket provided some growth, which more than offset a small decline in my property values. International shares continued to perform strongly for me, helped along by a weakening of the AUD during the month (I follow my stash in AUD).

After 10 months of 2017, I have now achieved the targeted NW growth I had set as an objective at the beginning of the year, and there are still 2 months to go.

My stash has generated returns of 10.3% pa for 2017, and if this rate of return holds for the last 2 months of the year then it will be the third year running that my stash has generated double digit returns (average across all asset classes incl cash, shares and property). Not bad when inflation is running at 1.5%.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: November 01, 2017, 07:57:39 AM »
After 10 months of 2017, I have now achieved the targeted NW growth I had set as an objective at the beginning of the year, and there are still 2 months to go.
Yep, market returns have been crazily good.  My stash now stands at where it was forecast to be at the start of Dec 2018.  I think it's even more impatient to reach the finish line than I am!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: November 02, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »
I've developed a running list of tasks to do as I wind my way towards FIRE:

1.  Notify my boss around spring 2018 of my intent to submit my formal request to retire
2.  Conduct an analysis of locations to move to upon retirement
3.  Figure out health care costs
4.  Figure out if I want to go back to school

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #421 on: November 02, 2017, 10:19:46 PM »
June 2019 still feels along way away to me.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #422 on: November 03, 2017, 09:41:32 AM »
Yep, market returns have been crazily good.  My stash now stands at where it was forecast to be at the start of Dec 2018.  I think it's even more impatient to reach the finish line than I am!

Will you do anything with your stash when it reaches the finish line? Move it into bonds? Or just leave where it is and start making the yearly withdrawels.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 02:07:43 AM by Linda_Norway »

Thedividebyzero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The divide by zero
« Reply #423 on: November 03, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
Same here.  My target is July 2019.  21 months to go.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #424 on: November 04, 2017, 01:38:32 AM »

Will you do anything with your stash when itvreaches the finish line? Move it into bonds? Or just leave where it is and start making the yearly withdrawels.
There's not much I can do with it as I want it to provide inflation proofed income in perpetuity - we need to plan for a 40+ year retirement and hope to pass it on to the kids after that.  Equities (and maybe property) are the only thing that have a hope of achieving that, so the great bulk will just stay in global equity trackers.  We will eventually have DB and State pensions that will more than cover our core spending so can afford a lot of short term volatility.  To take the place of those pensions in the years before they come on line I have a big chunk in a diversified assets fund that I accumulated as it was the default setting for my work pension scheme and, at the time,  I didn't know better!

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #425 on: November 04, 2017, 01:40:37 AM »

+1  The only way I cope is by breaking it up into smaller chunks.  Only 7 weeks to Xmas!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: November 04, 2017, 04:23:51 AM »

+1  The only way I cope is by breaking it up into smaller chunks.  Only 7 weeks to Xmas!

Exactly!! And between now and then I will take a 1 week vacation.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #427 on: November 04, 2017, 06:09:53 AM »
Hi 2Birds1Stone,

Welcome! Of course we won't kick you out! Sometimes being in the cohort and setting a time-related goal can be an additional motivating factor. Who knows what is possible for you in the next two years? Have you ever done a case study? Any chance you can increase income/reduce expenses?

We are here to cheer you on!

: 0 )

Hello there.

I don't think I've ever done a formal case study, BUT I lay out my income, expenses, and assets around the 1st of the month in my journal, super consistently over the past 26 months.

For 2015 my savings rate was 76.25%
For 2016 my savings rate was 80.65%
For 2017 my savings rate will be anywhere between 60-80%

My income is very unpredictable. I am in B2B sales and my base salary makes up a small portion of that income. I should *knock on wood* be in the 70-80% range for 2017. My expenses are fairly low, projected to be $24k all in for 2017.

Welp, 2017 is going to be a much lower income than 2016 was, and 2018 is not looking very bright as I just changed jobs into a role that is not working out, which means I'll likely be starting over with current employer or looking at the competitors.

I'm still reading everyone's progress here with the hopes that things will turn around and 2019 might even be possible in overly optimistic fantasy island.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #428 on: November 08, 2017, 02:09:34 PM »
Hello peeps,

I posted this on the 2018 cohort thread also. Rumors abound of an early retirement incentive package may be in the works at my agency.  I mean, 18 months to go is nothing really but I want to FIRE so much right now!

Oh well, one day at a time!!  : 0 )

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #429 on: November 10, 2017, 12:04:26 AM »
Having had external confirmation that my numbers work for June 2018, I'm moving to 2018. I may return if something happens to make my job tolerable enough for me to hold on till the end of that financial year, but 2019 is now OMY for me.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #430 on: November 10, 2017, 03:49:37 AM »
Having had external confirmation that my numbers work for June 2018, I'm moving to 2018. I may return if something happens to make my job tolerable enough for me to hold on till the end of that financial year, but 2019 is now OMY OLY for me.

Corrected that for you -- Congratulations!!!!!

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #431 on: November 10, 2017, 07:24:27 AM »
Having had external confirmation that my numbers work for June 2018, I'm moving to 2018. I may return if something happens to make my job tolerable enough for me to hold on till the end of that financial year, but 2019 is now OMY OLY for me.

No, 2019 would definitely be OMY now that I know I can go in 2018. Or nine more months because I wouldn't go beyond my original aspirational date of 31/3/19.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #432 on: November 10, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
Hello peeps,

I posted this on the 2018 cohort thread also. Rumors abound of an early retirement incentive package may be in the works at my agency.  I mean, 18 months to go is nothing really but I want to FIRE so much right now!

I hope this package is true for you. And that your boss allows you to take such a package. I also hope it fits with your 18 month plan. Otherwise you could perhaps accept is earlier and do some other work until you reach your date/sum.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #433 on: November 10, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »

No, 2019 would definitely be OMY now that I know I can go in 2018. Or nine more months because I wouldn't go beyond my original aspirational date of 31/3/19.

I was thinking of it like -- you will work OLY.  Either way -- congrats!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2017, 07:02:31 AM »
Hello peeps,

I hope this package is true for you. And that your boss allows you to take such a package. I also hope it fits with your 18 month plan. Otherwise you could perhaps accept is earlier and do some other work until you reach your date/sum.

Thanks Linda!  That's my hope (to lock in the pension at the higher percentage of salary -- would be the equivalent as if I worked 5 more years) and stay for one more year perhaps (part-time and as a consultant). Usually when these opportunities become available it's this time of year. We'll see!

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:56 PM »
Most of my career has been broken up into two or three year chunks at varying assignments in different geographical locations.  To me two or three years passes by very quickly.

Having had external confirmation that my numbers work for June 2018, I'm moving to 2018. I may return if something happens to make my job tolerable enough for me to hold on till the end of that financial year, but 2019 is now OMY for me.
That's great!  Congrats!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #436 on: November 20, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
19 months till FIRE.....my working career has lasted 334 months. This means I am 95% of the way to the finish line.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #437 on: November 20, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
19 months till FIRE.....my working career has lasted 334 months. This means I am 95% of the way to the finish line.
Now that's freaky.  I'm 334 and two thirds months into my career with 19 and a third to go.  You're just going to beat me!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #438 on: November 20, 2017, 10:35:25 AM »
Now that's freaky.  I'm 334 and two thirds months into my career with 19 and a third to go.  You're just going to beat me!

Haha, I've done a recount. Sorry 😳

I actually have worked a year less (started Feb 1991), so 322 months completed at the end of this month. 321 and 2/3 so far.

So actually only 94.5% done. Still sounds nearly done.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #439 on: November 21, 2017, 02:23:59 AM »

Haha, I've done a recount. Sorry 😳

I actually have worked a year less (started Feb 1991), so 322 months completed at the end of this month. 321 and 2/3 so far.

So actually only 94.5% done. Still sounds nearly done.
Should you recount your stash as well just in case?

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #440 on: November 21, 2017, 08:19:56 PM »
Lol. Yes. Maybe when I get closer I should put a case study up to get others to count it for me.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #441 on: December 04, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
Still on track for June 2019. Yippee!

I need to get serious about calculating the Roth backdoor / pipeline.

Right now, I'm running my business and make good enough money working part time. I enjoy this so much that I could see continuing into "retirement" as a side hustle. If I did that, the pipeline becomes less important.

It is really nice not to worry. I have back up plans to the back up plans.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #442 on: December 05, 2017, 02:40:26 AM »
Still on track for June 2019. Yippee!
Me too.  19 paycheques to go until retirement in 2019. Now how do I get that Paul Hardcastle song out of my head?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJFvtvTGEk

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #443 on: December 05, 2017, 07:47:27 PM »
19 paychecks remaining for me too..... or maybe just 13.....

Absolutely no idea what I will fill my days with post FIRE.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2017, 06:16:27 AM »
Now that is worrying.  In my experience retired people tend to divide into those who get bored and those who can't imagine how they ever found time to go to work.  I fully expect to be in the latter camp as work really gets in the way of all the other things I want to be doing.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: December 06, 2017, 07:03:28 AM »

Nope, but Bitcoin just hit $12k . . .  something's gonna give.  Just hope it happens in early 2018, so I can assess the damage and figure out if 2019 still looks viable. Current 401k balance is just over $700k, split 60/40, so a 20% correction would drop me to @$616k (+ $31k more in contributions for 2018, so $646k). Would probably still retire if I were @$650k, though I'd really hoped to go with $800k.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: December 06, 2017, 07:09:43 AM »
So is anyone else in this cohort really looking forward to Jan. 1, 2018, when you can say, "I'm retiring NEXT YEAR!!"  I sure as hell am. For now it's "I'm retiring in 17 months."  "Next year" just sounds so much better.

PhilB

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: December 06, 2017, 08:26:54 AM »
I'm more looking forward to being able to say 'This is my last full year'!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #448 on: December 06, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
Now that is worrying.  In my experience retired people tend to divide into those who get bored and those who can't imagine how they ever found time to go to work.  I fully expect to be in the latter camp as work really gets in the way of all the other things I want to be doing.

Yes I am a little worried.

If I don’t like being FIRE I’ll get another job. But, at least I’ll have a nice long break of at least 6 months first. If I like been FIRE then great, if not we’ll nobody is forcing me to be retired in my mid 40s.

I do have quite a few vague ideas of how I’ll spend my time, but with work being so all consuming I just need some time post FIRE to organise myself.

Awesome to have the option to experiment with a few things..... including experimenting with not working.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #449 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »

Oh my god am I in Camp #2 . . . I dream all the time of having the time to do the things I love.  With that said, I do worry about two things with FIRE. I worry that I will struggle psychologically with not having money coming in -- with becoming a spender rather than a saver. And I worry (a little) that I will regret in some small way leaving my job.   This will maybe sound weird, but I am really, really good at what I do, and I wonder if I will feel sad to walk away from that chapter in my life? I get lots of recognition at work for the things I do well.  For the things I will do after FIRE -- no one will know or give a rat's ass.  :)  Not sure how much I depend on that recognition psychologically.   Probably the awesome feeling of FIRE freedom will totally overwhelm any regrets, but that's my small worry right now.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!