Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 793110 times)

powersuitrecall

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
I'm in!

I chose July 1, but that might change.

Nice table we have going here :)

Most Righteous Alias Age at
FIRE
Target
Date
MissNancyPryor50Mar-19
Roboturner30Mar-19
Livingthedream5559May-19
cerat0n1aMay-19
dude54May-19
SamIAm3829May-19
oldtoyotaJun-19
Itchyfeet47Jun-19
powersuitrecall47Jul-19
Enigma39Jul-19
Thedividebyzero45Jul-19
Trifele52Aug-19
RetirementDreamingSep-19
VoteCthulu39Oct-19
trix7643Oct-19
markbike528CBX55Dec-19
HBFI38Dec-19
luckyme1345Dec-19
PhilB53Jun-19
ParizadeTBD
madamwitty36TBD
LowerbillsTBD
Chrissy42TBD
GerardTBD
getoutsoon52TBD
ysette9TBD
elaine amj40TBD
IplawyerTBD
BateauxTBD
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:22:16 AM by powersuitrecall »

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2017, 10:32:25 AM »
I can’t believe I hadn’t seen this section before. So many nooks and crannies of the forum to poke around and discover, and they are all so awesome!!

About 2 years ago, I decided that the road to F.I.R.E. was looking feasible for me by age 55. I’m currently 32 months away, (October, 2019) which has really changed my outlook on work.

On the positive side, there is a visible, bright light at the end of the tunnel. The goal is well within reach. In fact, I’m pretty confident that I have enough money invested to retire right now, but I plan to work until sometime in 2019 for a few reasons.

And this growing pile of F.U. money has let me silently laugh off the office politics, and the constant grumbling of my co-workers (always discussed – along with the latest luxury sedan lust -- over their $15+ daily lunches).

But this situation has some torturous side effects as well. For one, 32 months feels SOO far away. Freedom is all I think about all day in my beige jail cell. Every project dropped on my desk makes me grumble with resentment. I also feel like I have no one to discuss this all with, which is why I’m posting here.

Anyway, to help inject a tiny dose of positivity into my work week, I have implemented a series of countdown mechanisms. I have a pad of Post-it notes on my desk, which I update weekly. There are 4 numbers: Years remaining (2.66), months remaining (32), weeks remaining (139) and days remaining (970) until F.I.R.E. I also keep a running countdown of the days remaining in my DayMinder desk calendar. I save the Post-it note update for Monday mornings. It feels good to tear that top note off, crumple it up and toss it in the trash, then write down some new, smaller numbers, which makes Monday morning just a teensy bit more tolerable. It’s also good to review the days on the calendar, and look back several weeks to reinforce the progress toward the goal.

So why not just call it quits right now if I seem so damned miserable and have enough money? Fair question. There are several reasons (excuses?).

One is, my wife was already a little freaked out 2 years ago when I first brought early retirement up. Since then, I’ve really reigned in my unnecessary spending, and have been open about how much my pile has grown (we generally keep our money separate outside of paying shared bills like the mortgage, groceries, utilities, insurance, etc.). So she has since come around and is pretty supportive of my decision, but not yet a mustachian. She’s a CPA making considerably more than me and currently loves the job she landed 2 years ago at a small, family owned company. And her commute is a whopping 6 minutes (2 miles). She is part of my backup plan, but I never want her to feel like she needs to subsidize my retirement. I need to be 100% self-sufficient, so I am being really conservative in my saving needs estimates. I have twice as much saved up as I think I will need. I guess this puts me squarely in the Scaredypants camp.

Another reason to gut it out is company benefits. If I have 10 years of continuous service and am 55 or older when I retire, I can keep my company sponsored insurance plan for as long as I pay the premiums (just started my 10th year; whew!). I can even add dependents later. This is not COBRA. I’m not yet sure if I have to wait for my 55th birthday, or if it applies beginning the calendar year I turn 55 like access to the 401(k). Either way, I have to wait at least until Jan. 2019. I will then be able to get an estimate of the premiums and see if it will be cheaper than getting added to my wife’s insurance. I’m guessing it will be less since I work for a huge company.

I also didn’t expect my retirement savings to grow as fast as it has. Holy crap, the last 12 months have been amazing! The majority of my money is invested aggressively in rollover IRAs and my current 401k. With the IRAs, I can’t touch the money without penalty until 59 ½ (yes, I’m aware of the back-door Roth conversion; I work in the retirement saving industry). But with the 401k, once you leave your job you can access the money without penalty starting the calendar year you turn 55.

And lastly, I want to be completely debt free when I do retire. We currently have 18 payments left on the mortgage. With that out of the way, I will have a dozen or so months to crank up a cash stockpile just before retirement. I did suggest raiding our combined savings account to pay off the mortgage now, but my wife wants to use that to make a couple of house repairs (foundation).

So that’s my situation right now.

Except for the equity/debt of the house, these numbers all exclude my wife's personal assets. Not sure what they add up to, but I know she is diligent about saving and investing, just not as aggressive as me.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:50:36 PM by MoMan »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2017, 03:22:41 AM »
Hey Moman

Welcome to the cool kids of 2019!

I can totally relate to the difficulties of having the "right" attitude at work.

When you are not working for a pay rise, or a promotion, and don't care what will happen next if you get fired, then the way one looks at work is changed and it is really hard to trick the mind into giving a sh&t.

The past 3 or 4 years have been exceptional to my NW and with each year, my ambition for trying hard at work is diminished as quickly as my wealth has climbed.

I have to say that I find it pretty intriguing that you have openly shared full details of your personal finances with the world, but your wife doesn't share her financial situation with just you. Just goes to show how different we all are, even within a marriage.

28 months or 868 days remaining.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2017, 07:42:14 AM »
Thanks Itchy! It's so refreshing to find a choir that is singing my songs.

Just to be clear (and I don't believe for a second that you meant to imply this), it's not that my wife isn't willing to share her info; it's more of a case of, "Meh, I'm too lazy to dig that information out." And since my retirement is not dependent on her, I'm fine with that. I do know that she has a well funded retirement account (she oversees her company plan) and contributes monthly to a taxable account.

We have a shared account that we use for emergencies and big repairs which we both contribute to. I set up an automatic twice-a-month contribution. I have no idea what the current balance is, and really don't care that much. I know it's more than enough to cover the cost of a new roof, or a new A/C ... probably both. But I have the same attitude toward it: "Meh, I don't need the money right now, so who cares? Let it grow."

... but your wife doesn't share her financial situation with just you.

Cheers!

--Mike

Lowerbills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2017, 08:15:55 AM »
To update the list I'm currently 37, will be 40 in 2019.

2019 FIRE is looking a little ambitious at this point.  2016 was not a great year (other than market returns and some timely buys early in the year), but a lot can happen in almost 3 years.

Not to gripe but, health insurance costs alone for my family this year increased by $519 per MONTH.  Would much rather be buying stocks, bonds or real estate with those funds!

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2017, 08:34:25 AM »
Currently at 27 X annual expenses and looking to FIRE myself in April-May of 2019.  Should be up to at least 30 X by then assuming at least a flat market between now and then.  I have no health issues at all, but of course you never know... and with health care the way it is....  hoping worst case I could move to one of the liberal states like CA, MA. 

Probably going to go on at least a 2-3 month hiking/camping/backpacking trip in the Western US right after FIRE. 

Oh, I will be 41 in 2019. 

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »
Most Righteous
Alias
Age at
FIRE
Target
Date
MissNancyPryor50Mar-19
Roboturner30Mar-19
Luck1241Apr-19
Livingthedream5559May-19
cerat0n1aMay-19
dude54May-19
SamIAm3829May-19
oldtoyotaJun-19
Itchyfeet47Jun-19
PhilB53Jun-19
powersuitrecall47Jul-19
Enigma39Jul-19
Thedividebyzero45Jul-19
Trifele52Aug-19
RetirementDreamingSep-19
VoteCthulu39Oct-19
trix7643Oct-19
MoMan55Oct-19
markbike528CBX55Dec-19
HBFI38Dec-19
luckyme1345Dec-19
ParizadeTBD
madamwitty36TBD
Lowerbills40TBD
Chrissy42TBD
GerardTBD
getoutsoon52TBD
ysette9TBD
elaine amj40TBD
IplawyerTBD
BateauxTBD

Beautiful - keep churnin everyone, 2019 will be here soon enough!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2017, 09:40:28 AM »
Feb update.

Another Awesome month, primarily due to the insane Sydney property market and some good savings. Did ok on the share market not great, particularly Oz shares were a non event. Lost a little on Bisbane property, but not much.

My 2016 bonus wasn't paid in Feb, so something to look forward to in March.

When I finally locked in my FIRE number and date last year, I thought I was being very ambitious. However, in the first 2 months of 2017 my NW has increased by double what I was shooting for. Is 2018 even remotely possible.....

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2017, 09:54:30 AM »
Itchyfeet, One Less Year is an acceptable way to leave the cohort.   One MORE Year (OMY) is not acceptable.   ;-)

I think I may have shortened my time to fire(d) by implying to colleagues that I'm willing to roll over and play dead if someone makes it "a condition of employment" that I fill out a form that I promised myself I'd never do again.

We are FI and could RE by any stretch of the reasonable imagination, but I can't pull the plug myself.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2017, 10:22:34 AM »
I hear you on not being able to pull the plug.

My FIRE number has risen quite a lot over the past 2 years. Hopefully it has stopped rising now. Lol.

I was just commenting on another thread that selling out of Sydney real estate now, and taking profits, would probably reduce some FIRE risk as Sydney residential property is scarily expensive now after unbelievable rises over the past 3 years.. But, if we do sell now it's making a firm committment that we don't intend returning to working in sydney ever again. It's a decision that makes FIRE very real. Yey or yikes, or a bit of both.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
Can I join? I've wanted to be FI before I turn 36. Mint currently says February 2019, which has me five months ahead!

Added myself below. Nice to meet you, all :)

Most Righteous
Alias
Age at
FIRE
Target
Date
zinnie35Feb-19
MissNancyPryor50Mar-19
Roboturner30Mar-19
Luck1241Apr-19
Livingthedream5559May-19
cerat0n1aMay-19
dude54May-19
SamIAm3829May-19
oldtoyotaJun-19
Itchyfeet47Jun-19
PhilB53Jun-19
powersuitrecall47Jul-19
Enigma39Jul-19
Thedividebyzero45Jul-19
Trifele52Aug-19
RetirementDreamingSep-19
VoteCthulu39Oct-19
trix7643Oct-19
MoMan55Oct-19
markbike528CBX55Dec-19
HBFI38Dec-19
luckyme1345Dec-19
ParizadeTBD
madamwitty36TBD
Lowerbills40TBD
Chrissy42TBD
GerardTBD
getoutsoon52TBD
ysette9TBD
elaine amj40TBD
IplawyerTBD
BateauxTBD

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2017, 03:45:03 AM »
Welcome Zinnie!!  2019 is going to be a lot of fun. 

Though if the current market conditions hold a while longer, I suspect some of you early-2019 folks may be joining the 2018 group!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2017, 06:33:33 AM »
I would love to play, but sadly the only way I could FIRE by 2019 would be winning the lotto ;)

I feel like I'm in 5 of these cohort threads, but it's honestly due to the unknowns between now and the goal.

Theoretically in a best case scenario, I could be very barebone FI by New Years Eve 2019. Which would cover rent, food, health, trans, and pretty much no discretionary spending.

Feel free to kick me out if I don't meet the criteria!

As of 2/1/2017 I am 11X current annual spend, 16.5X barebone FI spend.

Hi 2Birds1Stone,

Welcome! Of course we won't kick you out! Sometimes being in the cohort and setting a time-related goal can be an additional motivating factor. Who knows what is possible for you in the next two years? Have you ever done a case study? Any chance you can increase income/reduce expenses?

We are here to cheer you on!

: 0 )

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2017, 06:46:00 AM »
Hi 2Birds1Stone,

Welcome! Of course we won't kick you out! Sometimes being in the cohort and setting a time-related goal can be an additional motivating factor. Who knows what is possible for you in the next two years? Have you ever done a case study? Any chance you can increase income/reduce expenses?

We are here to cheer you on!

: 0 )

Hello there.

I don't think I've ever done a formal case study, BUT I lay out my income, expenses, and assets around the 1st of the month in my journal, super consistently over the past 26 months.

For 2015 my savings rate was 76.25%
For 2016 my savings rate was 80.65%
For 2017 my savings rate will be anywhere between 60-80%

My income is very unpredictable. I am in B2B sales and my base salary makes up a small portion of that income. I should *knock on wood* be in the 70-80% range for 2017. My expenses are fairly low, projected to be $24k all in for 2017.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 02, 2017, 08:43:54 AM »
Welcome Zinnie!!  2019 is going to be a lot of fun. 

Though if the current market conditions hold a while longer, I suspect some of you early-2019 folks may be joining the 2018 group!

Thank you! Hoping the market conditions hold, but also a little nervous about hitting my number just because we're in a bubble. Either way, i guess I'll take it :)

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: March 02, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
Welcome to the club, have a drink and then get back to work :)

We might be in a bubble (who knows), but at least we have a couple years before we have to pull the rip cord and find out whether our planning was good enough to see us through a correction.

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »
Bubble..... I am a helium balloon!!!!

I feel all of my investments are floating way above where they should be, and coninuying to accelerate into another planet.

I feel like a big wave surfer. I have been having in the green room for a while, just gathering info. Now I need to point my puny board down a massive wave and just hope it doesn't break on my back.

Agreed! We're at the point where daily fluctuations in the market dwarf a full paycheck - nothing like putting a buy order in just to have the market drop a few points and *poof* that value is "gone" (not really, but still astounding!)

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »
Welcome to the club, have a drink and then get back to work :)

Check.

Bubble..... I am a helium balloon!!!!

I feel all of my investments are floating way above where they should be, and coninuying to accelerate into another planet.

I feel like a big wave surfer. I have been having in the green room for a while, just gathering info. Now I need to point my puny board down a massive wave and just hope it doesn't break on my back.

Agreed! We're at the point where daily fluctuations in the market dwarf a full paycheck - nothing like putting a buy order in just to have the market drop a few points and *poof* that value is "gone" (not really, but still astounding!)

Helium balloon, yes! I don't think I was ready for 5-10k fluctuations on a daily basis. I guess I'll have to get used to it.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: March 04, 2017, 08:59:12 AM »
Helium balloon, yes! I don't think I was ready for 5-10k fluctuations on a daily basis. I guess I'll have to get used to it.
^^-- A common Mustachian People Problem, but a good sign that you're well on the way to FIRE.

edit to change arrow direction for clarity
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:33:32 AM by markbike528CBX »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2017, 04:26:09 AM »
@ItchyFeet -- Did I see from your post in another thread that you are going to be leaving us next year?  Pulling the FIRE trigger a little early?

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »
Haha. One can only hope.

2017 has commenced well.

Almost certainly it will be 2019 though.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2017, 09:44:08 PM »
^^-- A common Mustachian People Problem, but a good sign that you're well on the way to FIRE.

edit to change arrow direction for clarity

This is true.

2019 group--how is your week going?

For me,
Pros: It's bonus week! Eagerly awaiting a deposit on Friday that should take at least a few days off my FI date. Also, talked to my boss about needing more free time and he is on board with me adjusting my schedule and working some shorter days, as long as I continue to get stuff done. Cut my own hair and it turned out really cute. Ate a lot of soups this week and got husband to base more lunches off of kamut and quinoa (instead of always including a meat), so we made a little dent in the grocery bill.

Cons: Have to pay credit card bill, and it's higher than planned. Bought flights overseas AND a couple of airbnbs for spring travel recently. That stuff adds up. Need to take my dog to the vet tomorrow and I rarely make it out of there with less than a $300 bill. And, our taxes are almost done and we are going to owe at least $5k. (Which happens every year, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.) I bought some clothing that was not mandatory, but my work wardrobe is feeling dated so I justified it.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2017, 10:35:46 PM »

Same as usual, I alternate between thinking work isn't so bad and despairing at how unbearably long 950 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 3 seconds is before I can leave it.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2017, 10:47:24 PM »

Same as usual, I alternate between thinking work isn't so bad and despairing at how unbearably long 950 days, 17 hours, 25 minutes and 3 seconds is before I can leave it.

Oh no! Do you have shorter-term goals to focus on to take your mind off of it? I feel like that's objectively really close, but if you're counting every day it's still really freaking far away. Hoping you have more days where it doesn't seem so bad between now and then. That antsy feeling can be terrible...

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #124 on: March 09, 2017, 03:53:45 AM »
I'm having a rough week, Zinnie.   Stuck in that phase where FIRE seems so.far.away.   Even though I tell myself I am doing great and 2019 is right around the corner.   Very hard to go into work each day. 

I think you are right.  I need something to look forward to.  We're doing a big camping trip this October that I'm looking forward to, but that's pretty far away.  I have to find something closer, otherwise the next 7 months are going to be really hard . . .

Some days the only thing that keeps me going to work is this forum .  Thank you all! 

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »
I've been thinking about starting a website as a hobby, but I can't decide what I want to do with it.

I know I'll make it a couple more years, I've made it through worse times without the giant carrot on a stick that's waiting for me just 950 days and 8 hours away.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2017, 11:41:57 AM »
Eventful week.

I Lost my wallet at an airport in another country with all my credit cards, licenses etc inside.

I noticed it was missing from my bag after I boarded the plane so there was no going back to search for it.

By some miracle it found its way to lost property the next day,  and by exceptionally good luck I had a colleague passing through the airport the next day who picked the wallet up for me so I didn't have to fly back.

The $400 cash I had in my wallet was still there when I got it back.

I didn't even cancel my credit cards, because I was just hoping that people were honest at the airport.

Lucky on this occasion!!!!!!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2017, 01:31:41 PM »
Holy crap, Itchy!  Excellent luck.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 13, 2017, 02:32:48 PM »
Itchy--glad to hear your lost wallet story had a happy ending! I was expecting pickpocket when first reading. It's nice to know there are good people out there. The same thing happened to my uncle in Italy recently.

Trifele and VoteCthulu: lots of short-term goals are my saving grace! I don't want to be waiting for this magic date when my life will begin. What if I died tomorrow? "She almost had enough money to retire early" is a terrible life story :)

Speaking of: what does everyone want to do when they retire? Mine: read, write, research, cook, learn languages, take classes, garden, sew/knit, travel, and spend time with [currently far away] family and old friends.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2017, 11:15:32 AM »

Speaking of: what does everyone want to do when they retire? Mine: read, write, research, cook, learn languages, take classes, garden, sew/knit, travel, and spend time with [currently far away] family and old friends.

This is becoming a concern of mine.....most of my motivation for FIRE has been that I am exhausted from working stupid hours, and I just want the freedom to do whatever whenever....

The problem is I don't really have a whatever planned.

I do have a big trip planned which might take a year- 18 months.

I have actually added up all my travel related Ambitions and it is about 5 years worth non stop and given that I reckon we will only travel around 3 months a year, and I think my current list is only half of what I'll end up wanting to do, I suppose I have a good 40 years of travel related adventures ahead of me at 3 months a year.

I know I want to get fit again and I don't think motivation will be a problem once I am not so exhausted from work.

I know I don't want to spend my days watching tv and have told DW if I find myself watching a lot
Of TV I'll just go back to work.

My friends will be at work so I won't be able to count of them for entertainment.

I could definitely seeing DW and I doing some charity volunteering.

DW is quite keen on having a hobby farm... not sure I am on board with that.

I was quite involved with a sports club before work swallowed my life. I might commit some time to that as long as I can stay mostly clear of the politics.

I will read and could see myself studying.

I definitely want to hike and camp a lot.

Maybe I'll even seeknout a little consulting work in my current field.... but on my terms.

I would like to give my parents a hand maintaining their place as they are getting old.

I'd be happy to coach my nephew's or niece's basketball team... if they'd have me.

Maybe I'll just go fishing....

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »
I plan to decompress by doing some part time work for a bit, perhaps still in engineering, or it could be tutoring or at a local restaurant or an online software gig. Just something to do while I get used to my newfound freedom.

I may not need it, as I'm prone to focus on something completely when it catches my interest, but I'll firm up my plans in 2019 before I pull the rip cord and quit.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »
ysette9      TBD

Sorry that it took me so long to check this thread again! There is so much goodness on the forums, I get overwhelmed sometimes.

Ysette9      Target FIRE date TBD late 2019/early 2020, age 38

It is all still fuzzy for us because our housing situation is not determined. We have been renting at an excellent price for the last 4+ years but think that eventually we will buy. What and when and for how much are all still up in the air. It is a tough decision because prices are high where we live (which is also where we want to live). Depending on what we decide there will be the biggest determinant of when we can retire. For now, I am guesstimating that we need a $2M stash, of which we are around $1.6 now and adding about $120K+ a year, not counting 401(k) matches and any extra bumps like bonuses or stock vesting. A down payment would be in addition to that amount.

I don't have my retirement budget estimate spreadsheet with me right now, but last year we spent around $80k, of which $17K was child expenses (mostly daycare). This is definitely not mustachian-levels of spending and it is hard for me to know what it might drop to if we weren't working and had more time. Part of my plan includes starting with a long sabbatical to test drive FIRE and then make adjustments as we go.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 01:51:59 PM by ysette9 »

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2017, 08:03:22 AM »

Here's what I posted on another thread yesterday:

Woodworking!

... and using my woodworking projects. A few years ago I built a wooden, cedar strip canoe, and last summer I launched the 17 foot sailboat I built. I plan to go on more camping/boating trips when I FIRE in 2.58 years.

Otherwise, I want to up my industrial arts game: I bought a decent lathe last December and intend to create some really nice bowls, toys, and numerous gifts for friends (just listen for the tree trimmers' chainsaws in the neighborhood and the material is free!!). I also want to learn to weld, sew, upholster and whatever other skills I can absorb for cheap.

I also want to beef up my bike riding.

... and to add to that posting, I plan to do a lot of house cleaning/home improvement projects. One of my goals is to make DW pleased that I am RE. The last time I changed jobs, I used my 5 weeks of accumulated vacation to do just that: organized closets, built some cabinets and a new gate. I plan to go through the house and pick one room at a time and completely scrub it down and organize everything. My home office is an absolute pit right now. But I hate the thought of using ANY of my precious, limited time off (while still working) to tackle this shit. So when I retire, that will become part of my routine. I want DW to brag to her co-workers/friends/family that she comes home to pleasant surprises on a routine basis.

Besides, if I didn't do this kind of stuff, I'd spend all my money and time just drinking beer and sitting on the deck.

For those of you lamenting the remaining 950 days, just think: In January, it was 1,000 days left! And in just a couple of months, it will be LESS THAN 900 days left. Yeah, that train is definitely moving this way.

--Mike

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2017, 10:46:38 AM »

Woodworking!

... and using my woodworking projects. A few years ago I built a wooden, cedar strip canoe, and last summer I launched the 17 foot sailboat I built. I plan to go on more camping/boating trips when I FIRE in 2.58 years.

Otherwise, I want to up my industrial arts game: I bought a decent lathe last December and intend to create some really nice bowls, toys, and numerous gifts for friends (just listen for the tree trimmers' chainsaws in the neighborhood and the material is free!!). I also want to learn to weld, sew, upholster and whatever other skills I can absorb for cheap.

I also want to beef up my bike riding.

... and to add to that posting, I plan to do a lot of house cleaning/home improvement projects. One of my goals is to make DW pleased that I am RE. The last time I changed jobs, I used my 5 weeks of accumulated vacation to do just that: organized closets, built some cabinets and a new gate. I plan to go through the house and pick one room at a time and completely scrub it down and organize everything. My home office is an absolute pit right now. But I hate the thought of using ANY of my precious, limited time off (while still working) to tackle this shit. So when I retire, that will become part of my routine. I want DW to brag to her co-workers/friends/family that she comes home to pleasant surprises on a routine basis.

How did you learn woodworking? My husband and I have been dabbling in this recently--did a dining room table and a coffee table, but they were all very simple plans. Making a canoe and sailboat sounds like you have quite the skillset! I've been watching this woodworking show on PBS recently and I'm amazed at everything he makes. It seems like sort of a lost art, and the guy on this show doesn't even use any power tools, but it looks really satisfying.

And for the cleaning/home improvement projects--I'm sure your wife would really appreciate that! I'd kill to have my husband home now taking care of things. Our list just grows and grows but with only weekend time it feels like we never make a dent in it.

I want to spend more time biking, too :)

This is becoming a concern of mine.....most of my motivation for FIRE has been that I am exhausted from working stupid hours, and I just want the freedom to do whatever whenever....

The problem is I don't really have a whatever planned.

I do have a big trip planned which might take a year- 18 months.

I have actually added up all my travel related Ambitions and it is about 5 years worth non stop and given that I reckon we will only travel around 3 months a year, and I think my current list is only half of what I'll end up wanting to do, I suppose I have a good 40 years of travel related adventures ahead of me at 3 months a year.

I know I want to get fit again and I don't think motivation will be a problem once I am not so exhausted from work.

I know I don't want to spend my days watching tv and have told DW if I find myself watching a lot
Of TV I'll just go back to work.

My friends will be at work so I won't be able to count of them for entertainment.

I could definitely seeing DW and I doing some charity volunteering.

DW is quite keen on having a hobby farm... not sure I am on board with that.

I was quite involved with a sports club before work swallowed my life. I might commit some time to that as long as I can stay mostly clear of the politics.

I will read and could see myself studying.

I definitely want to hike and camp a lot.

Maybe I'll even seeknout a little consulting work in my current field.... but on my terms.

I would like to give my parents a hand maintaining their place as they are getting old.

I'd be happy to coach my nephew's or niece's basketball team... if they'd have me.

Maybe I'll just go fishing....

Seems like a good enough plan, to me! :)

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
How did you learn woodworking? My husband and I have been dabbling in this recently--did a dining room table and a coffee table, but they were all very simple plans. Making a canoe and sailboat sounds like you have quite the skillset! I've been watching this woodworking show on PBS recently and I'm amazed at everything he makes. It seems like sort of a lost art, and the guy on this show doesn't even use any power tools, but it looks really satisfying.

Sounds like Roy Underhill on The Woodwright Shop! He does some really cool stuff, all with hand/human powered tools; super impressive. I like that they don't do much editing, so you get to see his failures and mistakes too.

I took my first woodworking class in junior high, and continued on through high school. It's sad that so many schools have phased out industrial arts classes. I also worked for a home remodeling crew during college. From there I progressed to making some of my own furniture and such using plans from The New Yankee Workshop (a PBS show that ended about 10 years ago).

Building boats is actually fairly easy, but they are long term projects. You need patience and perseverance for the most part, and a good design/plans that match your skill set. I ended up using hand tools at least, if not more than, power tools.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2017, 08:36:45 PM »

Sounds like Roy Underhill on The Woodwright Shop! He does some really cool stuff, all with hand/human powered tools; super impressive. I like that they don't do much editing, so you get to see his failures and mistakes too.

I took my first woodworking class in junior high, and continued on through high school. It's sad that so many schools have phased out industrial arts classes. I also worked for a home remodeling crew during college. From there I progressed to making some of my own furniture and such using plans from The New Yankee Workshop (a PBS show that ended about 10 years ago).

Building boats is actually fairly easy, but they are long term projects. You need patience and perseverance for the most part, and a good design/plans that match your skill set. I ended up using hand tools at least, if not more than, power tools.

Yes that's him! This is such an interesting show. It makes me want a wood shop full of traditional tools.

I wish I had a chance to learn more of these things in high school in college. But it's fun to start now, anyway. I get such enjoyment out of making things. Much better than spending too much time in your head or staring at screens :)

CryingInThePool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE Target - - 2018 or whenever the mood strikes
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2017, 08:32:34 AM »
Drawing my line in the sand (cement?mud?).     

June 2019 at 44.

I was in the class of 2016 but I've been OMYing, for a few reasons, since mid 2015.  Still not sure when I'll pull the plug (could be this year or next) but I'm going on record that June 2019 will bring an end to my case of OMY syndrome once and for all. 

Even if the Reality TV Bully guts ACA;  I need to move on.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
Welcome aboard!

June 2019 is my outter marker too.

Hopefully December 2018.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2017, 02:01:56 PM »
Yeah, if the market keeps going 2018 isn't out of the question, but I wouldn't want to retire into a bubble. Well see how it goes, maybe I'll ge laid off and coast into retirement.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2017, 02:56:14 PM »
Welcome CryingInThePool! If you've already OMYed, I vote for drawing your line in the cement.

And the Reality TV Bully isn't having much luck today, at least! :)

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »
I'm secretly hoping for a layoff, but they don't appear to be on the horizon for my company ... although we did just turn in some shitty numbers for the most recent earnings period. And there have already been consequences, but not in my area.

I've hit my FI number but I'm holding out for lifetime (I still gotta pay the premiums) company health care which kicks in when I turn 55. Considering the agitation surrounding the ACA, I am forcing myself to gut it out.

Only 928 more days!

BTW VoteCthulu, I am about 3/4 of the way thru LivingaFI's blog; just finished the Work Experience postings. Holy Hell. I have absolutely NOTHING worth complaining about at my cushy job (and yet, I still do, but only privately).

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »
BTW VoteCthulu, I am about 3/4 of the way thru LivingaFI's blog; just finished the Work Experience postings. Holy Hell. I have absolutely NOTHING worth complaining about at my cushy job (and yet, I still do, but only privately).

That work series is one of the best blogs I've ever read. So good!

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
Funny, I've seen several links to that blog, but never cared for it.

I'm currently in the position where I don't hate my job, but every day it get's a bit worse and it's a bit harder to remind myself of the good things about it. I often ask myself what else I might do instead for the next 2 years until I retire, but nothing seems like a better option yet.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
I have a countdown app on my phone - 797 days.

I am taking vacation time - one or two days a month - to make for some nice long weekends.

I am planning fun mini 2-3 day vacations (I have one for May and one for June planned)- need to create something for April.

Hoping for an early retirement incentive at my job (I've seen them offered every couple of years or so - last one was this fall but the numbers were not yet right for me - and financially not really generous - - but I hope I can land a little bonus next round if it's offered anywhere near my projected FIRE date)

HBFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Homebrewed FI
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2017, 11:49:14 AM »

That work series is one of the best blogs I've ever read. So good!

+1.  Dr. Doom is hands down my favorite writer.  Partially because my experience resonates with his, but mostly because I think his style and humor make for easy reading.  I understand why doesn't write as much anymore, but selfishly wish he would.

VoteCthulu

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:49 AM »
Hoping for an early retirement incentive at my job (I've seen them offered every couple of years or so - last one was this fall but the numbers were not yet right for me - and financially not really generous - - but I hope I can land a little bonus next round if it's offered anywhere near my projected FIRE date)
I wish our company didn't require age 55+ for their early retirement packages, but I'm not going to stick around that long.

I also have a countdown app for my phone, but I have 933 days left.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:11 AM »
... but I have 933 days left.

Sounds like we'll be raising a toast just a few days apart: My plan is to exit Oct. 7.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 28, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
Some days I feel like I'm just coasting and 2019 will be here before I know it. Others, I feel like I can't stand to spend one more day sitting in my office staring at my computer. Every morning I get immersed in something I really want to finish, only to have to drop it to get to work on time. I wish I could find a way to extract more hours from a day, somehow. My problem isn't so much that I have to go to work, it's just that there isn't enough time for both work AND life. Right now my life just feels like it is always in various stages of incomplete. All of my good ideas and projects are just waiting for some later date when I'll actually have the time to finish them. Because no matter how engaged I am in something, when the clock hits a certain time I have to stop and head to work.

I've been vacillating between quitting now to take a year off, and sticking it out. When I do the math and look at how much taking a year off would set me back, the obvious choice is to stay. But when I have a long, exhausting day at work like I did today, where even once I'm free I can't do much except relax and fall asleep early, it just feels like too much wasted life.

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2017, 10:20:54 PM »
Time is racing by.  Sorry I  haven't provided dates and age.  Make it June 2019 at age 50.  Stash is growing quick.  Pretty much up to what goes on with health-care now.  I've saved plenty enough (1.5M) to cover voluntary spending.  For the next two years I'm building an additional health care stash of (500k).  We have about 300k to go and we are building at a rate of $500 daily now.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #149 on: March 29, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »
Some days I feel like I'm just coasting and 2019 will be here before I know it. Others, I feel like I can't stand to spend one more day sitting in my office staring at my computer. Every morning I get immersed in something I really want to finish, only to have to drop it to get to work on time. I wish I could find a way to extract more hours from a day, somehow. My problem isn't so much that I have to go to work, it's just that there isn't enough time for both work AND life. Right now my life just feels like it is always in various stages of incomplete. All of my good ideas and projects are just waiting for some later date when I'll actually have the time to finish them. Because no matter how engaged I am in something, when the clock hits a certain time I have to stop and head to work.

I've been vacillating between quitting now to take a year off, and sticking it out. When I do the math and look at how much taking a year off would set me back, the obvious choice is to stay. But when I have a long, exhausting day at work like I did today, where even once I'm free I can't do much except relax and fall asleep early, it just feels like too much wasted life.

Zinnie,

How about taking some time off now (soon)?