Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 115622 times)

SpareChange

• Bristles
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #800 on: June 13, 2018, 10:56:39 AM »
I announced on June 1st to the head shed my intent to retire from the military.  The big boss and second-in-charge seemed very supportive.  Today I scheduled two 3-hour briefings on June 21st.  Those briefings will lay out the tasks and requirements I will need to do over the next year to retire from the military.  It's going to be a busy year ahead!

Congrats!

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #801 on: June 13, 2018, 07:01:28 PM »
I'm currently looking at April 1, 2019. I should be around $1.1M then, market cooperating. Not sure what I'll do exactly. I'm looking into remote, PT consulting. Or maybe just a 2-3 year break then I might work again in my 40s or something.

The timing is kind of awkward, because I'll probably want to work again in the future, but I do want to have some time for myself sooner rather than later. I would probably have done this break sooner if it weren't for the high comp that I'm getting now (software), that I kind of had to "take it while it's there".

I'm looking forward to traveling, getting into great shape, having fun, etc. We'll see how long that lasts.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #802 on: June 13, 2018, 09:38:51 PM »
I'm currently looking at April 1, 2019. I should be around $1.1M then, market cooperating. Not sure what I'll do exactly. I'm looking into remote, PT consulting. Or maybe just a 2-3 year break then I might work again in my 40s or something.

The timing is kind of awkward, because I'll probably want to work again in the future, but I do want to have some time for myself sooner rather than later. I would probably have done this break sooner if it weren't for the high comp that I'm getting now (software), that I kind of had to "take it while it's there".

I'm looking forward to traveling, getting into great shape, having fun, etc. We'll see how long that lasts.

I am also in the boat of “never saying never” to the prospect of working again in the future. At a minimum I’ll take a year off and then reassess. DW and I will have enough stash to never work again, but if I find a good job that inspires me, then why not. DW plans on working casual, part time as a teacher post FIRE. Like, maybe 50-100 days work a year.

Thedividebyzero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The divide by zero
Zero progress update
« Reply #803 on: June 16, 2018, 03:47:46 AM »
Life has been quite hectic since first posting in the 2019 FIRE cohort thread.  Thought I would check in and give a quick update on our progress.

The Zeroes are still on track for July 2019.  Only changes to our plans are:
-  Stache projection has grown.  Expect to be at 28X expected FIRE spending and more than 50X barebones by next July.
-  although work is grinding me to the bone, I am keeping the idea open that I may work until Dec 2019 if my employer is willing to accept me working from the location of my choosing.  Plan is to inform my employer in Jan 2019 of my intention to move to our retirement location in Jul 2019.  Whether that means resigning or continuing to work will be up to them and the overall level of sucktitude I am enduring at that moment.

I have serious short timers disease.  But I have to admit that having a sizable FU stache makes dealing with difficult moments at work much easier. 

Good luck to all of you.  2019 or bust!

- Zero

If only I could divide by zero.

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • Peter Gibbons
« Reply #804 on: June 16, 2018, 05:50:14 AM »
Using trailing 12 month expenses ($21,760), I am sitting at 18.5x, which equates to a 5.4% withdrawal rate.

Last July was very spendy, so those 12 month expenses will look look much better next month and if market co-operates I should hit 20X+ expenses by end of July.

50 more weeks!

tooqk4u22

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Zero progress update
« Reply #805 on: Today at 09:00:22 AM »
I have serious short timers disease.  But I have to admit that having a sizable FU stache makes dealing with difficult moments at work much easier. 

Mine is at all time highs, there is no cure.  I thought I would feel more like you but having the FU stash makes it that more difficult for me. 

sisto

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #806 on: Today at 09:53:31 AM »
I'm going to lurk here for a bit. My original date is June 7, 2021, but I've recently been thinking about pulling the plug early and moving to Mexico. So this would pull me by 2 years, I'll stick a pin in it for now.
Jack of all trades, master of none

DreamFIRE

• Pencil Stache
Re: Zero progress update
« Reply #807 on: Today at 04:03:17 PM »

Mine is at all time highs, there is no cure.  I thought I would feel more like you but having the FU stash makes it that more difficult for me.

Having FU stash and now being FI hasn't really changed my feelings much about my job.  If anything, I'm more likely to daydream of FIRE than I used to.  I have it pretty good at work with my own office now, so that helps keep me going.