Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 57703 times)

itchyfeet

• Bristles
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #450 on: December 06, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
Absolutely no idea what I will fill my days with post FIRE.
Now that is worrying.  In my experience retired people tend to divide into those who get bored and those who can't imagine how they ever found time to go to work.  I fully expect to be in the latter camp as work really gets in the way of all the other things I want to be doing.

Yes I am a little worried.

If I donít like being FIRE Iíll get another job. But, at least Iíll have a nice long break of at least 6 months first. If I like been FIRE then great, if not weíll nobody is forcing me to be retired in my mid 40s.

I do have quite a few vague ideas of how Iíll spend my time, but with work being so all consuming I just need some time post FIRE to organise myself.

Awesome to have the option to experiment with a few things..... including experimenting with not working.

Trifele

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #451 on: December 06, 2017, 04:18:33 PM »
Now that is worrying.  In my experience retired people tend to divide into those who get bored and those who can't imagine how they ever found time to go to work.  I fully expect to be in the latter camp as work really gets in the way of all the other things I want to be doing.

Oh my god am I in Camp #2 . . . I dream all the time of having the time to do the things I love.  With that said, I do worry about two things with FIRE. I worry that I will struggle psychologically with not having money coming in -- with becoming a spender rather than a saver. And I worry (a little) that I will regret in some small way leaving my job.   This will maybe sound weird, but I am really, really good at what I do, and I wonder if I will feel sad to walk away from that chapter in my life? I get lots of recognition at work for the things I do well.  For the things I will do after FIRE -- no one will know or give a rat's ass.  :)  Not sure how much I depend on that recognition psychologically.   Probably the awesome feeling of FIRE freedom will totally overwhelm any regrets, but that's my small worry right now.

MoneyStacher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #452 on: December 06, 2017, 05:19:28 PM »
Put me down for Jan 2019 when my current contracting gig ends. 50, Single, no kids, no lady. 450 taxable, 465 401(k), 140 Roth = 1,055,000. Sure, I could FIRE now, but I'm scared of the market highs and losing the firehose of cash -- aaaaand I'm work from home so this gig is just too good to quit. But, what if they offer me FT? Ugh, could end up OMYing. Still put me down but may chicken out.

Linda_Norway

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #453 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:39 AM »

Oh my god am I in Camp #2 . . . I dream all the time of having the time to do the things I love.  With that said, I do worry about two things with FIRE. I worry that I will struggle psychologically with not having money coming in -- with becoming a spender rather than a saver. <...>

DH thinks that we can retire when we have saved up enough for normal living with a bit of margin. One option if you want to travel and spend more money, is to work for it. There would be no problem putting some hours in a consulting gig to save for an expensive journey.

I can also assure you that when my MIL retired at 50, she became very much a big saver. For many years I didn't understand it. Why would a fairly rich person behave like it is the greatest achievement to find a good bargain in a market place? But now I understand it very well.

PhilB

• Stubble
« Reply #454 on: December 13, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
I just found an error in one of my spreadsheets :0(
With the way markets have been going lately, I have cut back on my pension contributions and I've been accumulating cash - the logic being that if the recent gains are 'real' then I've already stuffed enough in my pension, if they are illusory and a big crash is coming then I'll buy stocks when they crash.  I know this reeks of 'market timing', but I feel it's more of a permissible insurance policy in my case.
As my cash reserves have been building, I've had fun tracking my 'cashflow gap' - I have endowment policies maturing in 2019 which will see us through until we can access the pensions, so I've been tracking how many months worth of cash we have vs the gap to when those mature and getting excited as I slowly approached the point when we could, if we wished, hand in our 3 months notice and have enough cashflow to see us through.  This morning I realised that one of the policies actually matures 66 days earlier than I thought it did.  That means that our 'we could hand in our notice day' was actually two weeks ago and we missed it.  Bummer.

itchyfeet

• Bristles
« Reply #455 on: December 13, 2017, 11:08:52 AM »
With the way markets have been going lately, I have cut back on my pension contributions and I've been accumulating cash - the logic being that if the recent gains are 'real' then I've already stuffed enough in my pension, if they are illusory and a big crash is coming then I'll buy stocks when they crash.  I know this reeks of 'market timing', but I feel it's more of a permissible insurance policy in my case.
As my cash reserves have been building, I've had fun tracking my 'cashflow gap' - I have endowment policies maturing in 2019 which will see us through until we can access the pensions, so I've been tracking how many months worth of cash we have vs the gap to when those mature and getting excited as I slowly approached the point when we could, if we wished, hand in our 3 months notice and have enough cashflow to see us through.  This morning I realised that one of the policies actually matures 66 days earlier than I thought it did.  That means that our 'we could hand in our notice day' was actually two weeks ago and we missed it.  Bummer.

Hah. Not the worst problem to have.

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #456 on: December 13, 2017, 01:31:40 PM »

Humblebragger ;-)

Are you going to spend the pay for the extra days you didn't know you didn't need to work on something frivolous and fun?

PhilB

• Stubble
« Reply #457 on: December 13, 2017, 02:49:21 PM »

Are you going to spend the pay for the extra days you didn't know you didn't need to work on something frivolous and fun?
Do you have any idea how hard I find spending money on something frivolous nowadays?  I'm still good at having fun, but spending money on fun I now find a real challenge.  I'm still trying to stick to the June 2019 plan and all that extra cash will be a hedge against market disaster and probably end up paying off the kids mortgages in about 15 years time.  I'm just miffed at missing a meaningless milestone I'd been looking forward to.

Cornbread OMalley

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: December 13, 2017, 08:38:37 PM »
I spent 30 days of vacation this past summer and found myself content with surfing the net and lounging around.  However, I knew that I needed something with more substance when I FIRE and found an article that talked about using vacation days to do a retirement rehearsal.  After reading the article I started experimenting with new activities around the community where I live.  A lot of the experiments are volunteering in different things.  I'm hoping that poking around for a new emergent strategy will land me something I really will enjoy doing in my retirement.

https://moneyqanda.com/retirement-rehearsal/

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: December 15, 2017, 01:01:22 PM »

Most Righteous Alias Age at FIRE Target DateDate Confirmed

zinnie35Feb-19
MissNancyPryor50Mar-19
Roboturner30Mar-19
TartanTallulah55Mar-19moved to 2018
HalfStached41Apr-1-19
Luck1241Apr-19
albireo1361May-1-19
Livingthedream5559May-19
cerat0n1aMay-19summer 2018 planned
dude54May-19
SamIAm3829May-19
oldtoyotaJun-19
Itchyfeet47Jun-19
PhilB53Jun-19
Bateaux50Jun-19
CryingInThePool44Jun-19
powersuitrecall47Jul-19
Enigma39Jul-19
Thedividebyzero45Jul-19
Trifele52Aug-19
Cornbread OMalley42Aug-19
RetirementDreamingSep-19
Spreadsheet ManSep-27-19
VoteCthulu39Oct-19
trix7643Oct-19
MoMan55Oct-19
markbike528CBX55Dec-19 OLY 5-2018 but checking in as OP
HBFI38Dec-19
luckyme1345Dec-19
moxieDec-27-19
ParizadeTBD
madamwitty36TBD
Lowerbills40TBD
Chrissy42TBD
GerardTBD
getoutsoon52TBD
ysette938late-19TBD
elaine amj40TBD
IplawyerTBD
ChairmanTBD-SemiFire 2018
2Birds1StoneTBD
FIRE 20/20TBD

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #460 on: December 15, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
Thanks to Trifele for pointing out new people to add to the list!