Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 335479 times)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #2050 on: March 13, 2019, 05:23:55 AM »
Congrats everyone! All this rapid-FIRE is pretty motivating to read.

I re-read livingafi quit series linked above... I think more and more I don't want a sabbatical, part-time, remote options... just quitting, which I can. I'd do the 6 month leave for practical purposes but would only come back if there is a major crash in the meantime.

I also came back from 2 weeks vacation and feel pretty great. Can't wait! and can't believe this is real

My feeling exactly!  Verbal notice happens Friday, official letter on Monday.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2051 on: March 13, 2019, 06:11:55 AM »
I'm 4/1 but won't be that day, bonus isn't coming until 3/31 and didn't want to risk it.  I'm only working part time, tempted to keep this gig as long as I can take my long vacations and have health insurance mostly paid for.

Thanks for the check in JoJo!  Are things totally up in the air now/TBD? 

BTW, I checked out your journal and blog and WOW are you my travel hero.  Major applause. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2052 on: March 13, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »

Thanks for the check in JoJo!  Are things totally up in the air now/TBD? 

BTW, I checked out your journal and blog and WOW are you my travel hero.  Major applause.

Yeah, retirement date is up in the air.  I think I will stay on until at least Sept, unless I have an opportunity to be laid off (not likely).

I told my boss my vacation schedule for the year under my part time deal and it's tentatively accepted.

2 days off in April for a travel blogger conference
1 tentative week in April to visit Oregon
4 weeks in May to visit family (some family events happening)
8 weeks in July-Aug to drive up to BC, Yukon, NWT, and Alaska
1 week in Sept in Montana
8 weeks in Oct-Dec in South America, incl 3 week cruise to Antarctica and South Georgia Islands. (will be 9 weeks if I don't take the Oregon trip in April. 

If I quit, it will likely be before the South America trip and I will stay in South America indefinitely.   The other alternative would be before Alaska trip. 

Parizade

• Pencil Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2053 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:50 PM »
Wow JoJo, it looks like you have a really fun year planned! Enjoy.

Was told at work today that they are planning a retirement party for me at the end of May, so sweet! My culture project is keeping me busy all day working with some of my favorite people on fun things for the team. I really couldn't ask for a better way to end my career with only 100 days left to FIRE.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 07:45:22 PM by Parizade »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2054 on: March 14, 2019, 06:10:32 AM »
@exit2019 -- are you still on track for wrapping up tomorrow?  Or did they make you an offer you couldn't refuse?   :)

And @Half Stached -- your big day is tomorrow!  How are you feeling?   
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 06:12:47 AM by Trifele »

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #2055 on: March 14, 2019, 06:52:16 AM »
Three more work days for me.  This is the first morning I've woken up and realized I'm going to make it!  :)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2056 on: March 14, 2019, 07:11:56 AM »
Three more work days for me.  This is the first morning I've woken up and realized I'm going to make it!  :)

Yes!!!!!!!    The next chapter is about to begin.  May your last few days at work be smooth and happy.  :)

Loren Ver

• Bristles
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2057 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:04 AM »

WOOHOO!

So close!!

FIRE 20/20

• Bristles
« Reply #2058 on: March 14, 2019, 11:38:27 AM »

Congratulations!  That must have been a great feeling!

Parizade

• Pencil Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2059 on: March 14, 2019, 12:15:44 PM »

Congratulations!  That must have been a great feeling!

I agree, I'm so looking forward to that moment when it finally feels real.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2060 on: March 14, 2019, 05:54:09 PM »
Holy crap ladies and gentlemen...I start the process tomorrow.

Verbally start telling people (including direct boss) tomorrow and people that deserve to know before it goes public before the end of the weekend.  Official notice gets emailed to boss Monday AM.  Over/under on how many days they want me to stay stands at 4 days.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2061 on: March 14, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »
Good luck @chasesfish!   If you get walked out, then that's great -- FIRE starts immediately!  Let us know how it goes.   

Parizade

• Pencil Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2062 on: March 14, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
Holy crap ladies and gentlemen...I start the process tomorrow.

Verbally start telling people (including direct boss) tomorrow and people that deserve to know before it goes public before the end of the weekend.  Official notice gets emailed to boss Monday AM.  Over/under on how many days they want me to stay stands at 4 days.

Yikes! What a weekend you have planned!

This is like watching a row of dominos falling, only I'm one of the dominos enviously waiting my turn.

Loren Ver

• Bristles
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2063 on: March 14, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »
Good luck @chasesfish!  Ohh hoo!!

DH gave notice today.  Awkwardness ensued when his boss came to talk to him before he got the email and said "you seem pretty happy, are you leaving or something."

:D

FIRE 20/20

• Bristles
« Reply #2064 on: March 14, 2019, 06:25:55 PM »
This is like watching a row of dominos falling, only I'm one of the dominos enviously waiting my turn.

I love this!  That would make a great signature, at least for a little while. 

While everyone at work already knows I'm retiring soon, I haven't given formal notice.  A few things need to sort themselves out first, but assuming they do I'm planning to give 5 weeks notice on March 25th .  I am a little jealous of people who expect to be walked out after giving notice, but that just doesn't happen where I work.  I don't think they'll make an exception for me.

Parizade

• Pencil Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #2065 on: March 14, 2019, 06:34:59 PM »

I love this!  That would make a great signature, at least for a little while. 

While everyone at work already knows I'm retiring soon, I haven't given formal notice.  A few things need to sort themselves out first, but assuming they do I'm planning to give 5 weeks notice on March 25th .  I am a little jealous of people who expect to be walked out after giving notice, but that just doesn't happen where I work.  I don't think they'll make an exception for me.

Thanks Fire 20/20. I was jealous last year when older workers in another area were being offered early retirement packages in anticipation of impending layoffs. First time I ever wished for a layoff. For better or worse my department was growing like crazy so I knew I was stuck. It's still growing like crazy!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2066 on: March 14, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »
Looking more and more like it won't be 2019 for me.  Assignment in Paris is going well, a lot of freedom to be home with the family in Houston and then work and stay in the apartment in Paris when needed.  This will probably wrap up in July or August.  Collecting expat pay and Skymiles in the meantime, and I really do enjoy working with my French colleagues (learning the language, exploring the country), but there are also the Yellow Vest protests and I'll never be a local...  Anyway, the nail in the coffin on ER plans came this month with a generous Long Term Incentive award.  If I'm around in 2022, or get made redundant or basically anything other than quit, then I'm in for 75k x 1.5.  Even if I don't need the money, I wouldn't mind having control over dispensing it to charities.  I have had so much fun this year giving away more significant than usual amounts of money in the form of tips and charitable donations that folks did not expect, that I could tell really appreciated it.  I can see how great it would be to make it a full time job giving away money effectively.  I may not be at a Bill Gates level, but another 112.5k would be nice!  Here's to hoping work won't begin to suck in the next few years.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2067 on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:07 AM »
That sounds like a very cool job situation EscapeVelocity . . . Let us know if things head unexpectedly south and you decide to pull the plug.  In the meantime, enjoy!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2068 on: March 15, 2019, 07:53:13 AM »
@Half Stached

Is today the day? Congratulations!!

TheShinyHorse

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2069 on: March 15, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
Looking more and more like it won't be 2019 for me.  Assignment in Paris is going well, a lot of freedom to be home with the family in Houston and then work and stay in the apartment in Paris when needed...
Sounds like a great situation. I'd probably stay for a bit as well, as long as you're having fun and there are no real downsides.

DH gave notice today.  Awkwardness ensued when his boss came to talk to him before he got the email and said "you seem pretty happy, are you leaving or something." :D
Haha.
"Now that you mention it... Sounds like a good idea!"

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2070 on: March 15, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but canít help but wonder if Iím not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  Iím still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.  Itís a little frustrating to get to this point later in life, my 20ís and 30ís were pretty miserable at work and for much less.  Got me to FI faster (and allowed my wife to become a SAHP some 13 years ago), but that was the only upside.  To those on the cusp of ER, cheers and congrats!  Iíll get there eventually

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2071 on: March 15, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but canít help but wonder if Iím not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  Iím still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.  Itís a little frustrating to get to this point later in life, my 20ís and 30ís were pretty miserable at work and for much less.  Got me to FI faster (and allowed my wife to become a SAHP some 13 years ago), but that was the only upside.  To those on the cusp of ER, cheers and congrats!  Iíll get there eventually

You have to love life on your own terms.

Terminating a blossoming career is a big decision and you of course want to be sure that the alternative works for you and your family.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2072 on: March 15, 2019, 11:57:24 AM »
...snip....I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it. ...snip....

This sounds like many OMY rationalizations.  Some may be true for some people.

I had a fun job, great coworkers, upper tier bosses, but I found myself at work, looking at the FIRE spreadsheet (and the MMM fora) and wondering if there wasn't a greener pasture out there.

There is....

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2073 on: March 15, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
Only 14 more working days!  I am sitting here in my part of the world enjoying a 70+ degree spring day and am so ready to go.

@itchyfeet "You have to love life on your own terms. " - This is my new mantra!

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2074 on: March 15, 2019, 04:00:41 PM »
...snip....I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it. ...snip....

I had a fun job, great coworkers, upper tier bosses, but I found myself at work, looking at the FIRE spreadsheet (and the MMM fora) and wondering if there wasn't a greener pasture out there.

There is....

+1. 112k for 3 years doesn't seem like much compared to the opportunity cost.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2075 on: March 15, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »

There is....

He's getting paid to live in Paris.  Let's not shed any tears here.  lol

FIRE 20/20

• Bristles
« Reply #2076 on: March 15, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but canít help but wonder if Iím not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  Iím still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.

This is awesome.  I'm genuinely very happy for you that you're in this position (despite what's coming next, I really mean that!).  I do take issue with the framing of most folks who post about their wonderful retirement, however.  I'm not there yet (about 25 more working days!), but I have a great job that pays very well.  I have great management, excellent peers, and a fantastic team who works for me.  I think the work I've done throughout my career really matters, and I feel like I've made significant contributions.  However, I realize that the next year of my life is the youngest and probably the healthiest, most potential-filled year I have left on this planet.  I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  Will my family and friends be thankful that I spent my time in this cubicle, this office, or this conference room instead of with them?  Will I look back on this business decision - no matter how great it is - with as much happiness as I will look back on any of a hundred other things I could do today?  I've posted a lot about how terrified I am of shutting off the firehose of money they're spraying at me, but even stronger than that terror is the knowledge that I have a limited time to do the things I want to do in life and *this year* could be the best or maybe even the only year I have left.  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2077 on: March 15, 2019, 08:20:27 PM »
Thanks guys (gals?), I tried to be firm with myself to ER at 45 but canít help but wonder if Iím not just picking some arbitrary number.  I think most folks that post about the wonderful retirement lifestyle really did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it.  Iím still challenged by the work and getting larger perks.

This is awesome.  I'm genuinely very happy for you that you're in this position (despite what's coming next, I really mean that!).  I do take issue with the framing of most folks who post about their wonderful retirement, however.  I'm not there yet (about 25 more working days!), but I have a great job that pays very well.  I have great management, excellent peers, and a fantastic team who works for me.  I think the work I've done throughout my career really matters, and I feel like I've made significant contributions.  However, I realize that the next year of my life is the youngest and probably the healthiest, most potential-filled year I have left on this planet.  I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  Will my family and friends be thankful that I spent my time in this cubicle, this office, or this conference room instead of with them?  Will I look back on this business decision - no matter how great it is - with as much happiness as I will look back on any of a hundred other things I could do today?  I've posted a lot about how terrified I am of shutting off the firehose of money they're spraying at me, but even stronger than that terror is the knowledge that I have a limited time to do the things I want to do in life and *this year* could be the best or maybe even the only year I have left.  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life.

Thanks FIRE 20/20:  far more stirring than my "greener pastures ".
But I will have to admit that being paid to work in France is cool, as I've done that, but getting home is much sweeter.  The relief of being "feet wet" leaving French airspace was so great (long, tough job).

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2078 on: March 15, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »

There is....

Yeah, I'm not going to stick it out until 2022 just for the bonus, but it does make it easier.  I'm really on a roller coaster ride.  Once the Paris assignment wraps up, I'll still be on the project until 2022 and I enjoy the people I'm working with.  It's not easy to really get to know French people, especially if you don't speak the language.  But I want to ER early enough to still have a life.  Financial Samurai did an article on 45 being a great age to ER because you are still young enough to try a few new things but old enough to have enjoyed some peak earning and career progression.  I'll still be in a honeymoon phase when I get back to Houston and  through the end of 2019, so maybe I'll know what I want in 2020.  If I make it to 2021 though, then I'll probably hang in for 2022 - I'll be 48 years old and have one child in college.

Trying to have no regrets about this.  Honestly, even if I were to ER now, I'd really want to travel and it's tough to do with 2 kids in school.  My grand plan is to hit the road and see National Parks, with no real schedule or firm commitments.  Probably won't get to do that until the second child is in college.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Handlebar Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2079 on: March 15, 2019, 08:52:11 PM »
I do take issue with the framing of most folks who post about their wonderful retirement, however. 

Sorry, it was just an opinion that I had, that I prefaced with 'I think'.  The next bit you talk about are also thoughts that I have -

However, I realize that the next year of my life is the youngest and probably the healthiest, most potential-filled year I have left on this planet.  I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  ...  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life.

Well said.

Half Stached

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2080 on: March 15, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »
@Half Stached

Is today the day? Congratulations!!

Today is/was the day!

WOOOHOOO!

The whole week I've been running around with a giant smile on my face. Everyone at work found out I was leaving on Monday, and I received a ton of appreciation from everyone for the impact I've had on them and their projects. It was very gratifying. Today we had a small party at a local bar in the afternoon and a bunch of people came to say goodbye. Interestingly, I told everyone I was retiring, and no one really blinked. The worst reaction I got from anyone was simply bald jealousy (which I could totally empathize with). There was no real disbelief or malice, which it sounds like many other FIRErs had to deal with.

I have to admit... right now I feel really drained. I got home around 4pm, have been a lump for the past 4 hours, and I think I'm going to go to sleep early.

Thank you to everyone here - I wouldn't be in this position today without discovering MMM and these forums 4 years ago. There has been such great advice and support - this is a great community. I am extremely grateful!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2081 on: March 16, 2019, 06:39:42 AM »
@Half Stached Woohoo!!!

Yesterday was verbal notice day to boss, went really well.   EVP finds out Sunday and they get my letter Monday morning.

Guess is it'll be eight days or so worth of work before I'm free.  Should go public on Monday then it'll be fun.  Sticking with the term retirement!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2082 on: March 16, 2019, 06:56:32 AM »
Congratulations @Half Stached !!!!   :)

And congrats @chasesfish on giving notice.  Next week at work should be really interesting!  Let me know when you know your last day is and we'll get your date updated.

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)        CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Socmonkey (37)         CONFIRMED
02/01/19     August (54)                CONFIRMED
02/01/19     Keeks (42)                 CONFIRMED
02/01/19     TheShinyHorse           CONFIRMED   
02/13/19     SeanTash                   CONFIRMED
02/28/19     nowwhat? (56)           CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Half Stached  (47)      CONFIRMED
03/15/19     FireHazard                 CONFIRMED
03/15/19     Luck12  (41)              CONFIRMED       
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/18/19     Cycling Stache (43)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/29/19     Loren Ver (36)
03/29/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/??/19     Edgema
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/04/19     PowerStache (43)
04/05/19     MissNancyPryor (50)   
04/19/19     Eric (42)
04/26/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/15/19     MaybeBabyMustache                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude                              Date Confirmed
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/15/19     Okonomiyaki (49)
06/15/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/05/19     StoaX (58)
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
10/??/19     Cookie78
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/19/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward
BlindSquirrel
I'm Fred (51)
JoJo (45)

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)
CryingInThePool  (44)
Albireo13  (61)

OLY
markbike528cbx  (55)      OLY -- CONFIRMED 6/1/18; checking in as OP
MoneyStacher  (50)         OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
PhilB  (52)                      OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/24/18
sui generis  (41)              OLY -- CONFIRMED 8/17/18
TartanTallulah  (55)          OLY -- CONFIRMED 10/2018
cerat0n1a                       OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018 
Chairman                        OLY -- CONFIRMED 2018
Bognish (43)                   OLY -- CONFIRMED 11/16/18

« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:32:42 AM by Trifele »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2083 on: March 16, 2019, 07:02:09 AM »
I can't imagine *any* job that would give me as much happiness, fulfillment, or satisfaction as I'll be able to get from choosing the best possible thing to do with the next day/week/month/year.  When I ask myself - is this or any job the best possible use of my short time remaining on this planet?  Will my family and friends be thankful that I spent my time in this cubicle, this office, or this conference room instead of with them?  I'm not FIRE'ing because I "did not enjoy going to work or no longer got anything new out of it", but because I don't believe this or any job is the best possible use of my life.

Very well said @FIRE 20/20.  My sentiments exactly.   

Loren Ver

• Bristles
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2084 on: March 16, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »

DH gave notice today.  Awkwardness ensued when his boss came to talk to him before he got the email and said "you seem pretty happy, are you leaving or something." :D
Haha.
"Now that you mention it... Sounds like a good idea!"

Ohh, that is good!!  You so clever!

@Half Stached Congrats.  Enjoy your well earned sleep!!

Love this.  Thank you for putting my thoughts into such great words ;).  I too like my coworkers and job, but there is so much I can't do while sitting in an office.

@EscapeVelocity2020 , the opportunity sounds wonderful and one of the main tenets of this arena is you doing what is right for you, even if most of us are doing something else.  You are the one that needs to live that life, we just have opinions to share.  Enjoy it what ever it is!

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #2085 on: March 16, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
Many congratulations to all you 2019 FIREees! 

I never put myself in this cohort because deep down I didn't believe it would actually happen for me, I'm not sure why.   But there is no point in denying it any longer.  I gave 8 weeks notice to my employer in early November, but they didn't look for find a replacement until late January, so things dragged on longer than I had hoped.  I've been working part time training the the new person since that point, but things are now progressing along well to where I'm working just about 10 hours per week now.  They offered me a permanent part-time position working from home and making my own schedule at about 40-50 hours per month; and the insecure side of me couldn't turn it down.  No real regrets, though.  It will be enough to cover all of my normal costs of living without tapping into investments, except possibly for unexpected larger expenses.  So I will be FIRE at a SWR of 0% for now.

Yesterday was my husband's last day at his job, so I'm officially calling it.....we are FIRED!!!!!  Now it feels like the real thing.  Next week's weather forecast is looking like perfect spring weather, so we'll be hiking with our dogs, working in the yard, taking on our household to-do list, enjoying picnic lunches and laughing giddily at our wonderful good fortune.   We are so grateful to have been able to pull this off!  It is a fantastic feeling that I can't even describe, but I wish it for every one of you who can't quite yet pull the trigger.  It's more than worth every little sacrifice we made along the way.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2086 on: March 16, 2019, 05:34:56 PM »
Congrats @Firehazard!  Welcome to the happy club --got you added above.  :)

Loren Ver

• Bristles
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2087 on: March 16, 2019, 06:53:11 PM »
Woohoo @Firehazard   Congrats!!!!

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #2088 on: March 16, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
Thanks you guys!!!!  And thank you for adding me to the cohort even though I haven't contributed along the way.  Glad to be on the list :)

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2089 on: March 17, 2019, 04:33:58 AM »
I have climbed to 22.8x desired spending. Getting close now...

I was only at 21.6x desired spending at 31 December, so itís certainly been a productive 3 months.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2090 on: March 18, 2019, 06:15:44 AM »
Good luck today @Cycling Stache!  :) 

In other news, we're waiting to hear from @exit2019 whether he FIREd on Friday or decided to stick around at work a bit longer.

I heard from @albireo13 that he is now most likely OMYing to January of 2020, so I have moved him on the list.  Let us know if your plans change again and you decide to pull the plug sooner Albireo!

FIRE 20/20

• Bristles
« Reply #2091 on: March 18, 2019, 08:32:51 AM »
@Trifele - Thank you for continuing to stay up to date on the upcoming people in the cohort.

For those who have FIREd - I'd love to hear updates on how things are going!  If FIRE what you expected?  Are you struggling with boredom or are you still on a high from achieving something so monumental?

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #2092 on: March 18, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »
Put me down as FIRED!!  Gave notice on Friday.  Funny thing is about 30 min before I gave notice I got reamed out over email by the bitch boss b/c I delegated something (of course I delegated b/c I'm not going to be around haha).   It was as if the FIRE gods gave me one last push (not that I needed the push).    I gotta say though other than the getting reamed out I'm going to miss the last few months where I did just the min amount of work, came into work once every 2-3 weeks, took care of so many personal things on work time b/c I just DGAF anymore. 

Also I'll be starting the Pacific Crest Trail in 15 days, so excited and also very nervous! 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2093 on: March 18, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
Also I'll be starting the Pacific Crest Trail in 15 days, so excited and also very nervous!

That sounds like a great way to kick off retirement.  Congrats!

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2094 on: March 18, 2019, 10:39:05 AM »
Put me down as FIRED!!  Gave notice on Friday.  Funny thing is about 30 min before I gave notice I got reamed out over email by the bitch boss b/c I delegated something (of course I delegated b/c I'm not going to be around haha).   It was as if the FIRE gods gave me one last push (not that I needed the push).    I gotta say though other than the getting reamed out I'm going to miss the last few months where I did just the min amount of work, came into work once every 2-3 weeks, took care of so many personal things on work time b/c I just DGAF anymore. 

Awesome - congrats!!!    What was boss' reaction to you giving notice?????????

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2095 on: March 18, 2019, 10:39:34 AM »
Congrats @Luck12 -- got you confirmed above.  That trimmed more than a month off your target date.  Enjoy the hike! 

sui generis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2096 on: March 18, 2019, 11:00:49 AM »

Congrats and best wishes for the hike!  Do come back and let us know how it went!

Luck12

• Bristles
« Reply #2097 on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
Awesome - congrats!!!    What was boss' reaction to you giving notice?????????

"That's not 2 weeks notice".  I kid you not.  It was 13 days notice, worked out that way b/c of my permit date.  Then it was just a bunch of phony "that's unfortunate, but good for you" blah blah.   Her boss was way cool about it and knows and is pursuing FIRE too. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2098 on: March 18, 2019, 02:03:07 PM »
That's awesome! Are you blogging/vlogging your hike?? It's on our bucket list to do, and I've vicariously lived through dozens of people who documented the journey on youtube.

This one in particular should get you amped up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PleoqR7VjY

Loren Ver

• Bristles
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #2099 on: March 19, 2019, 05:10:05 AM »
WOO HOO @Luck12

That is wonderful.  Sorry it wasn't more pleasant, but you are DONE!

As I have been going around work, people are congratulating me and we are chatting.  Then yesterday, one of the managers whose people I do work for, offered me jobs.  She apparently thinks I have some great skill.  If I was unhappy due to my role she has a full time job in her group and would hire me.  I told her I was done sitting in an office for 40 hours, so she offered me part time (15-20 hours) working from home or in the office, doing what ever I wanted to do.  She said her group is willing to get creative (like I could work my non-travel months if I wanted to).

Oh man, that is pretty tempting.  DH and I are really really lean so some padding to reduce sequence of return risks is pretty nice. 

I told her I would think about it, but probably nothing until 2020, as I want to be retired first and have many trips to go on.

It was really nice to know someone values my skills enough to reach out and try to accommodate me.