Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 252837 times)

FIRE 20/20

• Stubble
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1700 on: January 18, 2019, 04:36:22 PM »
Still on track here for finishing on 1/31.   I was thinking I would slide smoothly and uneventfully over the finish line, but Noooo . . . . I got the word yesterday that I have to lay off a bunch of people on my team (part of MegaCorp takeover adjustments).  The one-on-one meetings are scheduled for today. 

I've done this before but it doesn't make it much easier.  These are very good people who do good work.  We had thought our department would be spared from layoffs, but then MegaCorp did a 180.  Shit sandwich, all the way around.  At least they will get severance, and some job-searching assistance from HR apparently.  I don't know the personal financial situation of these folks, but I hope they have their act together and this job loss is not a serious crisis for them.

There are going to be a lot of tears and hugs today at work I predict.  I also predict a large martini in my hand after work tonight.

That sucks.  A similar situation motivated and accelerated my FIRE pursuit.  I hope everyone is as prepared for the layoffs as possible.  Both sides of this equation - not wanting to lay people off and being financially secure if you are the one being laid off - benefit from pursuing FIRE. 

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1701 on: January 19, 2019, 04:09:04 AM »
Yesterday really, really sucked.  The five people I had to lay off had not seen it coming, so those were some hard meetings.  Thank you for your support messages yesterday @forward, @Loren Ver, @chasesfish, @Eric , @Linda_Norway, and @fire 20/20.  They really helped.  On the positive side, all five people who were cut have a spouse who works and has access to health insurance, so there's that -- no sole breadwinners.  Also my department is quite compassionate, so the whole event was as kind as it could be under the circumstances.

My personal silver linings to all of this are first  -- FIRE means that I never have to do that again.  Second, my boss worked some kind of magic with MegaCorp and HR and got me onto the layoff list, so I found out I'm getting some severance after all -- 3 months' salary.  I'll take it -- that's more than a year's living expenses for us, so that's great. 

9 work days to go!!

« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 05:11:32 AM by Trifele »

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1702 on: January 19, 2019, 04:37:34 AM »

My personal silver linings to all of this are first  -- FIRE means that I never have to do that again.  Second, my boss worked some kind of magic with MegaCorp and HR and got me onto the layoff list, so I found out I'm getting some severance after all -- 3 months' salary.  I'll take it -- that's more than a year's living expenses for us, so that's great. 

9 work days to go!!

Nice work on scamming an extra 3 months pay. 9 days to go. AWESOME 👏

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1703 on: January 19, 2019, 04:48:06 AM »
Congratulations on the lay-off pay and commiserations on having to do the lay-offs.  The first time I had to make anyone redundant it turned out that their partner, who worked for a different company, had been laid off earlier that same day.  Ouch.
The one thing I really want to know though, is that given you were the one having to lay people off, and you were one of those being laid off, how did you break the news to yourself?  I hope you were gentle?

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #1704 on: January 19, 2019, 05:31:32 AM »
@Trifele I'm glad your boss got you on to that list, it is a decent consolation for you having to lay off the others.

So close!

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1705 on: January 19, 2019, 05:36:31 AM »
Congratulations on the lay-off pay and commiserations on having to do the lay-offs. 
The one thing I really want to know though, is that given you were the one having to lay people off, and you were one of those being laid off, how did you break the news to yourself?  I hope you were gentle?

Ha ha Phil . . . The way I found out about the severance was a phone call from my boss first thing in the morning.  He knows I was moving on anyway of course, and the severance was very welcome.  (I get the sense it is kind of a 'thank you' for me tidying up and turning the lights out).  The logistics were odd, but they didn't let me actually lay myself off.  I have a meeting scheduled with my boss and HR on Monday where I get my paperwork.

I'm sure I'll be even happier about the severance in the days and weeks to come, but right now I'm still dealing with the emotional fallout from yesterday.   

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1706 on: January 19, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »
Congratulations on the lay-off pay and commiserations on having to do the lay-offs. 

Ha ha Phil . . . The way I found out about the severance was a phone call from my boss first thing in the morning.  He knows I was moving on anyway of course, and the severance was very welcome.  (I get the sense it is kind of a 'thank you' for me tidying up and turning the lights out).  The logistics were odd, but they didn't let me actually lay myself off.  I have a meeting scheduled with my boss and HR on Monday where I get my paperwork.

I'm sure I'll be even happier about the severance in the days and weeks to come, but right now I'm still dealing with the emotional fallout from yesterday.

This is such good news Trifele!  I'm still sorry you had to lay people off, but i am glad you got a severance.

The first time I had to make anyone redundant it turned out that their partner, who worked for a different company, had been laid off earlier that same day.  Ouch.

:(

FIRE 20/20

• Stubble
« Reply #1707 on: January 19, 2019, 11:36:22 AM »
I was "outed" at work this week.  I told some of the key technical people about my plans to retire sometime in 2019/2020 (didn't give a date) when they joined my team over a year ago.  I wanted them to be aware of the possibility that I would be leaving when they made the decision to move onto the project I'm leading.  I knew I was taking the risk of it getting out to my management and I'm actually surprised that no one in leadership heard anything for a year.  Fortunately, after one found out I had great conversations about it with 3 of the 4 managers I report to.  The fourth still doesn't know, but he's at a different site and the least connected to what I do so I don't think he'll hear for a while.  All three expressed appreciation for the significant (4 months) notice, and they each promised that they wouldn't allow the information to change anything.  We'll see if they stick to that, but they're all ethical people who I trust. 
Fortunately with market gains, contributions, and a modest downward revision to the FIRE budget we're now at a ~3.4% withdrawal rate.  That low a WDR plus my plans to do a little consulting, Social Security in 20-30 years, two small pensions, and a likely inheritance make the plan pretty safe at this point.  If I feel like I'm getting pushed out or things turn ugly I can just move my date forward.  They need me a lot more than I need the paycheck, so my tolerance for BS can be extremely low at this point. 

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1708 on: January 19, 2019, 07:43:47 PM »
Trifele - I had to layoff 4 people who didn't see it coming last year.  It's so tough.  Hoping that if they were good employees for you, they will be able to be good employees at the next job!

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1709 on: January 20, 2019, 01:36:29 AM »
Yesterday really, really sucked.  The five people I had to lay off had not seen it coming, so those were some hard meetings.  Thank you for your support messages yesterday @forward, @Loren Ver, @chasesfish, @Eric , @Linda_Norway, and @fire 20/20.  They really helped.  On the positive side, all five people who were cut have a spouse who works and has access to health insurance, so there's that -- no sole breadwinners.  Also my department is quite compassionate, so the whole event was as kind as it could be under the circumstances.

9 work days to go!!

Only 9 days! And with a whole year of expenses covered. Good deal after such a bad working day.

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1710 on: January 20, 2019, 06:24:27 AM »
I was "outed" at work this week.  I told some of the key technical people about my plans to retire sometime in 2019/2020 (didn't give a date) when they joined my team over a year ago.  I wanted them to be aware of the possibility that I would be leaving when they made the decision to move onto the project I'm leading.  I knew I was taking the risk of it getting out to my management and I'm actually surprised that no one in leadership heard anything for a year.  Fortunately, after one found out I had great conversations about it with 3 of the 4 managers I report to.  The fourth still doesn't know, but he's at a different site and the least connected to what I do so I don't think he'll hear for a while.  All three expressed appreciation for the significant (4 months) notice, and they each promised that they wouldn't allow the information to change anything.  We'll see if they stick to that, but they're all ethical people who I trust. 
Fortunately with market gains, contributions, and a modest downward revision to the FIRE budget we're now at a ~3.4% withdrawal rate.  That low a WDR plus my plans to do a little consulting, Social Security in 20-30 years, two small pensions, and a likely inheritance make the plan pretty safe at this point.  If I feel like I'm getting pushed out or things turn ugly I can just move my date forward.  They need me a lot more than I need the paycheck, so my tolerance for BS can be extremely low at this point.

So lucky. Leadership found out I was thinking of leaving in six months and went desperate on me. Tried pressuring, guilt-tripping, begging, enticing. At the time, I had not even made a decision yet or given formal notice. That discomfort just kind of solidified things for me. I'm out of the 2019 cohort because I took another contract, but I just wanted to chime in to say I'm glad The Talk went well for you.

PowerStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1711 on: January 20, 2019, 05:41:24 PM »
Less than 100 days to FIRE! I have verbally told management I am leaving in April.  I am trying to figure out when to make the news public. I am second in command at our location and most are anticipating me taking over when my 60ish boss retires. We are doing some reorganization so I am expecting when they determine whether I will be replaced, I can talk publicly.

Most won't understand the FIRE mentality.  But they will understand my focus on spending more with my family.

When you have worked at the same place for almost 26 years, your co-workers are a big piece of your life. I am trying to prepare myself for shifting my social circle once gone.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1712 on: January 21, 2019, 12:02:20 AM »
Less than 100 days to FIRE! I have verbally told management I am leaving in April.  I am trying to figure out when to make the news public. I am second in command at our location and most are anticipating me taking over when my 60ish boss retires. We are doing some reorganization so I am expecting when they determine whether I will be replaced, I can talk publicly.

Most won't understand the FIRE mentality.  But they will understand my focus on spending more with my family.

When you have worked at the same place for almost 26 years, your co-workers are a big piece of your life. I am trying to prepare myself for shifting my social circle once gone.

Can you find out whether someone else in your team has leadership ambitions?

And if not, it is not your problem.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:51:22 AM by Linda_Norway »

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1713 on: January 21, 2019, 04:52:20 AM »

Woo hoo!  Down from triple digits!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1714 on: January 21, 2019, 09:15:39 AM »
This may fall into the category of MPP, but I just have to say it to people who will understand it: My target fire date is July 3, 2019. That's when I plan to quit my full-time job. My plan is to continue my "side gig" consulting business. Here's the problem: my consulting business is keeping me so incredibly (or terribly, depending how you look at it) busy in January/February that I don't have time for my full-time job! And the pay is too good to turn down any work. I'm seriously thinking about downshifting to part-time job so I can have the space and time for my side gig. The consulting business is part of my long-term plan (mainly as a safety net for health insurance); the full-time job definitely isn't. It's a dilemma for sure.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1715 on: January 21, 2019, 10:34:06 AM »
The date is coming pretty quickly. A few weeks of vacation, maxing out 401k and Roth backdoor and mega backdoor for the year, doing taxes for 2018, and then heading out for leave later this spring, which I haven't even talked with my manager about yet... Plus I have a few cool projects at work going on, feeling a little bad about not ever completing them (for my personal satisfaction). I might take a shorter leave than I thought.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1716 on: January 21, 2019, 11:17:36 AM »
150 days to go for me.... if I donít chicken out and OMY.

I spent most of today researching the Iceland leg of my post FIRE RTW trip. I decided weíd hike the Laugavegur trail, before renting a camper for a couple of weeks to do the Ring Road++.

Very exciting.... hopefully we donít delay the victory tour by 12 months.

I have noted on my phone an ever expanding list of reasons to FIRE v OMY. Both lists are long and compelling.

Tonightís addition to the list was if I actually hand in my resignation tomorrow I will never have to talk about ďwill I or wonít IĒ ever again. The dialogue in my head is incessant.

Last week I tossed a coin to see what lady fate had to say.

First toss came up OMY. I was ok with that outcome at that moment, but decided to go to 2/3 to tempt fate.

Second toss came up OMY. It seemed fate was quite certain about my future so I thought ďwhat the heck, letís shoot for 3 in a rowĒ to really ram home the message.

3rd toss came up FIRE. 4th toss came up FIRE.

Two all.

Go figure, my luck is as uncertain as me. I was sure toss 5 would come up FIRE just to add to the confusion. But it didnít. Toss 5 came up OMY.

So first toss, 2 out of 3, and 3 out of 5 all said OMY. Iíd call that definitive.

I added ďcoin tossĒ to my list of reasons to OMY, but it didnít bring me any closer to a final decision.

I need to travel to MegaCorp HQ in mid Feb. if I am FIREing thatís when Iíll make it all official. Eek.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1717 on: January 21, 2019, 12:10:44 PM »
@itchyfeet I remember both of my "corporate HQ" meeting trips during my OMY phase.  I looked around and couldn't believe how much BS I tolerated.  I kept wondering "do all of these people really enjoy this?"

The answer will come to you, trust your thoughts

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1718 on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
@itchyfeet I remember both of my "corporate HQ" meeting trips during my OMY phase.  I looked around and couldn't believe how much BS I tolerated.  I kept wondering "do all of these people really enjoy this?"

The answer will come to you, trust your thoughts

Thanks. Yes, there is no more spreadsheets to be made. I just need to make a decision and roll with it. It will be a winner either way. Either For June Iíll be enjoying my freedom, or 12 months from now Iíll be enjoying my freedom with a lot more play money in my pocket.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1719 on: January 22, 2019, 03:47:24 AM »
How are our February folks doing?  @Cycling Stache -- are you still on track for next Friday? @Socmonkey will be coming up just a week after that.  Let us know how things are going!

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)   CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)
02/01/19     Cycling Stache (44)
02/08/19     Socmonkey (37)
02/13/19     SeanTash
02/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
03/31/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/31/19     Loren Ver (36)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
04/??/19     PowerStache (43)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude   
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/??/19     Keeks
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1720 on: January 22, 2019, 04:32:25 AM »
36 working days left for me.  I've got a two week vacation coming up which really helps a lot.

With the market losses from last year, we will most likely be about 10% below our FIRE number for 2019.  We may have to lean out of first few years to reduce our sequence of return risks.  When DH and I discuss, we would rather be leaner than OMY.  I am definitely more nervous than I thought I would be.

LV

Lews Therin

• Handlebar Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #1721 on: January 22, 2019, 05:37:46 AM »
I'm going to be at 90% the number I expected, but i'm not OMY'ing either. Lots of time to cover the shortfall if necessary

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1722 on: January 22, 2019, 06:15:04 AM »
I'm going to be at 90% the number I expected, but i'm not OMY'ing either. Lots of time to cover the shortfall if necessary

At least I am not the only one :). 

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1723 on: January 22, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »

Yep, weíll be 10% or so short of our number as well.

But once we set aside housing and bare bones expenses, the 10% would represent a 50% increase to our discretionary budget, so it is pretty significant in terms of what we can do in the future and in terms of flexibility it would give to our spending ie: room to cut when needed.

The biggest setback to my FIRE plans is DWís new stance that she wonít be working if Iím not working. Previously DW was very keen on doing casual work post FIRE. This an important buffer removed from my plans. That with the continued sliding of house prices in Sydney is causing me some pre-FIRE angst.

Lady Stash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1724 on: January 22, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »
I think this is my cohort.

I'm hoping to quit my job to start a business this year (so FI but not RE).  For my own peace of mind, I wanted to be FI first since starting a business seems pretty risky.  Late last year, I hit a bare bones, skinny FI after paying off my house.

I have 5 milestones I want to hit before I pull the trigger on full time office employment:
   1. Find two awesome people to rent 2 bedrooms in my home which will cover most of my basic expenses and allow me to save my stash. 
   2. Max my 401K for this year (April 2019 at the soonest)
   3. Lose 30 pounds.  I'm using a work sponsored program to help. Down 5 pounds so far.   
   4. Get caught up on drs and dentist appts.
   5. Start a side gig.

What does OMY stand for? 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 02:29:58 PM by Lady Stash »

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #1725 on: January 22, 2019, 02:31:27 PM »
OMY = One More Year.

Reading everyoneís plans and preparations is both exciting and agonizing: I still have a torturous 37 weeks to go. But at least I can now say, ďIím retiring this year.Ē Man that feels good! I calculate I have plenty of money: 36x current annual spending, which should put my withdrawal rate just under 3%. And I feel good about backup plans. My wife is very onboard with my RE plans but has no interest in retiring herself. The best parts are: she loves her job; she makes significantly more than me; she has a 6 minute commute and is fairly frugal herself (except for her J. Crew habit, which she can easily afford). We paid off the mortgage last summer and have redirected those payments to an online savings account. So I have zero debt and she has a couple more years on her car payment (we keep our finances fairly separate).

The only reason Iím gutting it out is for company-sponsored retiree health care. If you are 55+ and have 10+ years of service, you can stay on the company plan for the rest of your life (you have to pay the premiums yourself). For some of the more fortunate long-term employees, the company subsidizes the premiums based on years of service. PLUS, I can add my wife to the policy later on. Once you turn 65, MegaCorp insurance becomes secondary to MediCare. Iím assuming the premiums will be lower than getting onto my wifeís work plan, but I canít get an estimate until Iím less than 6 months from my 55th b-day. My company also offers a pension plan (now frozen for several years), so I have a $30k buffer I can access any time after 55 without penalty. Or I can leave it be and it will payout something like $250/month starting at age 65. I donít expect to need it anytime soon.

My plan is to convert my 401k balance to a 10-year income annuity. Over the past year Iíve moved quite a bit out of equities and bonds and into cash since Iím already able to fund above my current spending. That takes me to age 65, allowing my other investments to grow for a decade before I start drawing from a couple of rollover IRAs and a Roth IRA. If I need money before then I can access my taxable account, or withdraw some already-taxed contributions from the Roth without penalty. And in 4 years I can withdraw from the rollover IRAs w/o penalty. I will claim Social Security at age 70. Of course I could also do some part time work as my career allows me to work remotely very easily. And I have a hobby that can generate money. I think the only thing that could improve my current situation is if I got a layoff package right after turning 55!

My only issue right now is dragging my ass through yet another day at the office. Ugh. I work in a cubicle, but my cube is in a very remote corner of the floor where no one visits. Being an introvert, this is ideal. (Rumor is that the company will be renovating our floor and replacing our shoulder-height cube walls with the very low ďopen officeĒ structures. I canít get out of here soon enough!). Even better, we are allowed to work from home 2 days a week. And Iíll be honest, I am being given very little work to do these days (but the work I do get is completed quickly and accurately; I just havenít raised my hand to ask for more). So I can do whatever I want for the 8 hours a day Iím home as long as I am close enough to hear the dreaded ďdingĒ of a new email message being delivered. So it kind of feels like Iím already transitioned to part time. Only 106 more ďcubicleĒ days! Tick-tock. Carry on.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1726 on: January 22, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »
My only issue right now is dragging my ass through yet another day at the office. Ugh. I work in a cubicle, but my cube is in a very remote corner of the floor where no one visits. Being an introvert, this is ideal. (Rumor is that the company will be renovating our floor and replacing our shoulder-height cube walls with the very low ďopen officeĒ structures. I canít get out of here soon enough!).

I can relate to that.  Ugh... I used to work in a shared enclosed office space, no cubicles, sometimes with one other person, sometimes with three other people.  I hated it, even with just one other person, even worse as the years passed by, and that was one big reason I was wanting to FIRE back then.  There were just too many distractions that made it difficult to focus and work efficiently.  But as my stash grew to support FIRE a couple years ago, the junior engineer who was sharing some of my job responsibilities  left (and wasn't replaced), and I was moved to my own office not long after that.  I can close the door and shut out most of the distractions from other people but get out and about to mingle with staff when I feel like it.  Plus I don't have to spend time training or working as closely with anyone, so I'm more productive.  It's made a big difference in my feelings about my job.  If I had still been sharing office space, I might have gone ahead and FIREd last spring (2018).

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1727 on: January 23, 2019, 12:16:31 AM »

My only issue right now is dragging my ass through yet another day at the office. Ugh. I work in a cubicle, but my cube is in a very remote corner of the floor where no one visits. Being an introvert, this is ideal. (Rumor is that the company will be renovating our floor and replacing our shoulder-height cube walls with the very low ďopen officeĒ structures. I canít get out of here soon enough!). Even better, we are allowed to work from home 2 days a week. And Iíll be honest, I am being given very little work to do these days (but the work I do get is completed quickly and accurately; I just havenít raised my hand to ask for more). So I can do whatever I want for the 8 hours a day Iím home as long as I am close enough to hear the dreaded ďdingĒ of a new email message being delivered. So it kind of feels like Iím already transitioned to part time. Only 106 more ďcubicleĒ days! Tick-tock. Carry on.

I am sitting in this very open landscape thing, without any kind of walls between the desks. So no privacy or sound protection at all, apart from a pair anti-sound producing headphones. We do have real walls between the groups of desks though, which means the sounds that are made and reflecting between the walls. DH who knows acoustics thinks this is a really bad way to design an open office.
I am also an introvert and are not very pleased by the fact that we need to OMY it, in practice a little more than 1,5 year. We keep working 80% to make it more bearable. Couldn't you do that and still fulfil the requirements for your health care plan?

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1728 on: January 23, 2019, 05:03:06 AM »
The only reason Iím gutting it out is for company-sponsored retiree health care. If you are 55+ and have 10+ years of service, you can stay on the company plan for the rest of your life (you have to pay the premiums yourself). For some of the more fortunate long-term employees, the company subsidizes the premiums based on years of service. PLUS, I can add my wife to the policy later on.
. . .
My only issue right now is dragging my ass through yet another day at the office. Ugh.

Sounds like you have a rock solid plan @MoMan.  Oh hell yes I would gut it out longer for a health insurance deal like that. 

Strategies that helped me get through the last 9 months:

--  Mentally breaking the time up into smaller units, i.e. telling myself "only two weeks until my next day off", or "only two weeks until [insert cool thing we were planning to do]"

--  Using all my PTO

--  Finding ways to stay busy at work (so the time passes quickly).  Careful here -- As you point out, you don't want to take on any more long term or stressful work.  So the trick is to get short term interesting things to do.  I found that offering to help other people with their work was a good strategy.  They have the overall responsibility which I wanted to avoid, but I stayed busy playing some interesting secondary role to fill my time.  And it made them happy.  Win-win-win.

--  Taking mental breaks at work to do things completely non-work related.  My go-to activity was travel planning.  I enjoy that, and you can fill lots of time with it.  I also spent time learning about new and interesting things.  YMMV on this one if others can see your computer screen in an open-style office.

--  Volunteering for/finagling your way into as many out-of-the-office activities as you can.  Conferences for the win. 

--  Talking to people (more than I normally would).  I'm fairly introverted too, but I enjoyed this.

--  Tried to:  Stay busy with interesting and fun things in my non-work hours; stay fully connected with family; exercise regularly and get good sleep.

--  Rinsed and repeated.

You'll get there!  You've got it. 

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1729 on: January 23, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
Great suggestions from Trifele.  One thing I would add is that if you concentrate too much on the future and just getting through you WILL go crazy.  Over these last weeks / months you need to find enjoyment where you can and cling to it.  What worked for me was to make sure there was at least one small good thing about every day and make that the last thing I thought about at night.  You will get there whatever happens so concentrate on getting there happy.

MoMan

• Stubble
« Reply #1730 on: January 23, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
Yes, great suggestions Trifele and PhilB! I hope I didn't paint myself as being depressed because I'm definitely not. I'm super excited about the next phase of my life. Just bored with work which feels increasingly pointless. I'm good at entertaining myself but it does get a little challenging in the office. Fortunately l'm not very visible right now, so no one is checking on my screen. A couple of years ago, I got assigned to a new manager, which made a world of difference. My former incompetent manager got fired last summer, and my annoying always-the-victim coworker, who coughed up a lung on a weekly basis, got laid off not long after.

Yes, I play all sorts of mind games to keep me focused and positive. One of my faves is thinking about the time left and comparing that quantity of time in the past: "Nine months to go seems like an eternity; but think about the past nine months and how fast that went." I also spend a lot of time mentally planning the dozens (hundreds?) of projects I plan to tackle, or what I can do to improve recently finished projects. I think I'm going to be as busy as I care to be for years to come.

There is one mental state that I feel I need to constantly combat: The idea that life will be magically different once I pull the plug. I'm pretty sure it won't be. Here's kind of what I mean: Think back to the time as you approached some of your big life goals, like graduating from school. I imagined how fantastic it would be to never have to do homework or get a teacher's permission to go to the bathroom, etc. But the reality was, yes, life was different but not to the extent I fantasized it would be. I need to constantly remind myself that there will still be days when I have to do things I don't feel like doing; days when I will be bored; projects that will frustrate me; people who will annoy me, etc. As long as I stay aware of that it should help keep expectations in check. It's all good!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1731 on: January 23, 2019, 12:53:03 PM »
I went out and got drunk tonight..... all on my lonesome.

This definitely feels like the biggest decision of my life.

Today i modelled a scenario with what I want to spend until Iím 75 and then a15% reduction in spending from there on. Probability of success equals 93%, plus add on the probability of death before I run out of $$ , and maybe some social security or inheritance....

Good enough for me...... except Iíd love an extra few $$$ to have more choice of housing....

I fail at ER101. I just donít know what is enough.

Previously I was going to rely on DW to tidy up the edges, but now that has changed with DW saying no work for her either post me FIREing  I need to be damn sure I am good to go.

I need to be 120% ok with my choice of houses, cars, food, ISP, clothes... everything!!

My CV and unusual career offers no 2nd chance at anything close to what I am paid today......

....... I just wished I finished my masters.... haha..... that hasnít  mattered till now....ok, I am fearing the worst, but isnít that kind of wat the 4% rule is about....

Ignore me, Iím a bit drunk 🥴

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1732 on: January 23, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »
Drink on, good sir, drink on. 

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #1733 on: January 23, 2019, 04:17:29 PM »

Ignore me, Iím a bit drunk 🥴

Tip one for me; it is still dry January at Nancy's house and I am missin' muh booze. 

Anybody use the Pralana retirement calculator?  I use the free bronze edition and really like how it separates the buckets of savings depending on taxable status.  It uses a Monte Carlo simulation. 

I would love for everyone to pick it apart and tell me any flaws you see or why it might not be valid.  It has been my go-to calculator for the good detail and scenarios you can play with on one time expenses like a new car in 10 years or the possibility of an inheritance way down the road, etc, all inflation-adjusted.  The table output of the drawdown is great detail.     

http://pralanaretirementcalculator.com

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1734 on: January 23, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »
I'm in no hurry for time to go by.  It goes by too quickly as it is.  I try to just look forward to the closely approaching days off - i.e. the weekend.   Although, my summer vacation days start coming more into focus in June, which I spread out mostly through July and August.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1735 on: January 23, 2019, 04:31:45 PM »
Anybody use the Pralana retirement calculator?  I use the free bronze edition and really like how it separates the buckets of savings depending on taxable status.  It uses a Monte Carlo simulation. 

I would love for everyone to pick it apart and tell me any flaws you see or why it might not be valid.  It has been my go-to calculator for the good detail and scenarios you can play with on one time expenses like a new car in 10 years or the possibility of an inheritance way down the road, etc, all inflation-adjusted.  The table output of the drawdown is great detail.     

http://pralanaretirementcalculator.com

I checked the link, clicked my way around, found screenshots and user manuals, but I never saw a download link for the free bronze version.

ETA:  Disregard.  Looks like the "Buy Now" button is how you get access to download for free.

ETA2:  Downloaded.  It complained about my old version of Excel on my home computer, but it opened up and appears that it might work.  I will have to spend some time with it to form any opinion.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:42:21 PM by DreamFIRE »

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #1736 on: January 23, 2019, 06:02:43 PM »
Yeah, I should have pointed that out.  "Buy now" for free bronze version. 

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1737 on: January 24, 2019, 12:44:46 PM »
--  Finding ways to stay busy at work (so the time passes quickly).  Careful here -- As you point out, you don't want to take on any more long term or stressful work.  So the trick is to get short term interesting things to do.  I found that offering to help other people with their work was a good strategy.  They have the overall responsibility which I wanted to avoid, but I stayed busy playing some interesting secondary role to fill my time.  And it made them happy.  Win-win-win.

I'd recommend completely ignoring your coworkers and just posting on the forum more.  Doing extra work is for people not retiring.  lol

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1738 on: January 24, 2019, 04:01:54 PM »

I'd recommend completely ignoring your coworkers and just posting on the forum more.  Doing extra work is for people not retiring.  lol

:)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1739 on: January 24, 2019, 07:44:24 PM »

Folks.  I related to this.  I feel like I'm playing a game of charades!  27 or so more work days to pull this off.

I cringed today when the new boss was excited about finding a deal to feed me

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1740 on: January 25, 2019, 02:42:50 AM »
Speaking of charades, the theme this week at work has been co-workers trying to help me find a job.  No one at work knows my real situation.  Because I ended up getting rolled into a Megacorp layoff, and most people don't know I was leaving anyway, people assume I'm in desperate straits.  They mean very kindly.  I say "Thanks, I'm going to take a little time to look at my options."   And the responses are along the lines of "You can afford to do that?  Good for you."   
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 02:51:36 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1741 on: January 25, 2019, 04:41:13 AM »
Speaking of charades, the theme this week at work has been co-workers trying to help me find a job.  No one at work knows my real situation.  Because I ended up getting rolled into a Megacorp layoff, and most people don't know I was leaving anyway, people assume I'm in desperate straits.  They mean very kindly.  I say "Thanks, I'm going to take a little time to look at my options."   And the responses are along the lines of "You can afford to do that?  Good for you."

That is really nice of them but also pretty awkward.  I would really struggle with that.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1742 on: January 25, 2019, 05:07:38 AM »

That is really awkward.  I have a former boss then co-worker that retired at 52, I've struggled twice now when his name has come up and his bipolar boss has turned the story into "I removed a non-performer", trying to deflect the fact said boss is a jerk to work for.   Fingers crossed on the charades, its so tough when you know others are being laid off and don't have the same ability

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1743 on: January 25, 2019, 05:18:16 AM »
Speaking of random/interesting issues leading up to FIRE...

My in-laws are wonderful people.  Mother in law is an insensate planner, everything planned and way in advance.  Father in law has a habit of "thinking out loud".   They were also in the camp of "okay with money".  They're boomers, so they worked hard and spent almost all their money on crap stuffed in their house.  They have some savings and a decent pension, but FIL worked until 68.

We've told them "we're trying to get closer" in 2019, mentioned me taking consulting work, trying to drop hints without outright telling them I'm retired.  They don't understand investments and we can't come out and tell them just how much money we have.  I have to keep my retirement under wraps for another seven weeks to not risk being terminated out of the bonus/rsu pool (trust my manager, but not that much when six figures are on the line).

Now this week my MIL is obsessively trying to figure out our travel schedule and flights for a wedding back home in May and has also scheduled a big trip that includes a 24 hour layover in October in the city we currently live in.  We've managed to hold off them scheduling trips here to visit so far, but this game is humorous and kind of exhausting.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1744 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:01 AM »

So lucky. Leadership found out I was thinking of leaving in six months and went desperate on me. Tried pressuring, guilt-tripping, begging, enticing. At the time, I had not even made a decision yet or given formal notice. That discomfort just kind of solidified things for me. I'm out of the 2019 cohort because I took another contract, but I just wanted to chime in to say I'm glad The Talk went well for you.

Not quite the same thing, but way back when I was approaching the end of my military service obligation. It was right during the lead up to Operation Desert Shield. I was the lead Petty Officer in my division. I told my superiors that I planned to separate from the Navy in August (about 4 months from then) when my time was up. They tried to persuade and cajole me into extending for six months saying they needed my experience on the upcoming tour (a Westpac to the Persian Gulf, which would have been my second). I told them it was out of the question, because I'd matriculated at my home state university for the Fall Semester. When their pleadings fell on my deaf ears, they got nasty. I got called out over the 1MC (loudspeaker system) to report to the fantail immediately, where I met my division officer (an idiot asshole of man) and the Department Head, and they proceeded to undress me about the state of the fantail (my division's area of responsibility). I was utterly waylaid and at a loss for words. A few minutes in, my Chief showed up and asked what the fuck was going on and why wasn't he contacted? He in turn laid into them and told me to hit the road. Classy, ballsy move by that guy. Shortly thereafter, I was presented with my performance evaluation, which rated me very poorly, a marked departure from years of Outstanding ratings. I was livid and threatened an outside investigation (forget the term used for it, but in essence, if you file such a claim, they bring in officers from other branches to investigate). They promptly backed down and let me serve out my remaining time, which was actually less time than I had left, because they granted me an early out of about two months. Why anybody in a leadership position would think that going negative on someone in this position is a good strategy I'll never understand.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1745 on: January 25, 2019, 07:20:54 AM »
Oh yeah, and by the way, I officially filed for retirement yesterday, effective May 31 . . .

Livingthedream55

• Bristles
« Reply #1746 on: January 25, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »
Oh yeah, and by the way, I officially filed for retirement yesterday, effective May 31 . . .
@dude   Sweet - congrats!!!! 

I file my retirement paperwork in one week! 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1747 on: January 25, 2019, 08:01:51 AM »
Congrats @dude!

Interesting date, which begs the question to the group.

If you were going to kick off FI(RE) with a leave of absence. Would you consider your exit day as your last day before the leave begins, or when the leave ends and you are no longer on the payroll/benefits of the employer?

Lews Therin

• Handlebar Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #1748 on: January 25, 2019, 08:19:45 AM »
last time you go in, unless you`re military, at which point you have an asterix hoping to his noodlyness no world war starts and they recall you.

So for you, last day before leave!

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1749 on: January 25, 2019, 08:22:09 AM »
Snip....

Not quite the same thing, but way back when I was approaching the end of my military service obligation. It was right during the lead up to Operation Desert Shield. I was the lead Petty Officer in my division. I told my superiors that I planned to separate from the Navy in August (about 4 months from then) when my time was up. They tried to persuade and cajole me into extending for six months saying they needed my experience on the upcoming tour (a Westpac to the Persian Gulf, which would have been my second). I told them it was out of the question, because I'd matriculated at my home state university for the Fall Semester. When their pleadings fell on my deaf ears, they got nasty. I got called out over the 1MC (loudspeaker system) to report to the fantail immediately, where I met my division officer (an idiot asshole of man) and the Department Head, and they proceeded to undress me about the state of the fantail (my division's area of responsibility). I was utterly waylaid and at a loss for words. A few minutes in, my Chief showed up and asked what the fuck was going on and why wasn't he contacted? He in turn laid into them and told me to hit the road. Classy, ballsy move by that guy. Shortly thereafter, I was presented with my performance evaluation, which rated me very poorly, a marked departure from years of Outstanding ratings. I was livid and threatened an outside investigation (forget the term used for it, but in essence, if you file such a claim, they bring in officers from other branches to investigate). They promptly backed down and let me serve out my remaining time, which was actually less time than I had left, because they granted me an early out of about two months. Why anybody in a leadership position would think that going negative on someone in this position is a good strategy I'll never understand.

Geeze!  This is not an attitude I understand either.  Someone is doing something different than you, oh no!  Blergh.  Glad you got out!

and Congrats on the announcement!  Woo hoo!

To answer @2Birds1Stone 's question, I would mark my day as the one I am off payroll but I think the argument could be made either way....