Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 210080 times)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1650 on: January 11, 2019, 03:44:02 AM »
Move me up. Sept 1

Change made, but what's the deal?  I thought you were nearly ready to OMY to 2020, and now you're thinking even earlier?

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)   CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)
02/01/19     Cycling Stache (44)
02/08/19     Socmonkey (37)
02/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Roboturner  (30)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
03/31/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/31/19     Loren Ver (36)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
04/??/19     PowerStache (43)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/31/19     Pylortes  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude   
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/??/19     Keeks
07/01/19     Freedomin5 (38)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/01/19     Linda_Norway
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY:
Bateaux (51)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 05:44:12 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1651 on: January 11, 2019, 05:46:20 AM »
One of DH's employees has expressed the wish to become a group leader of the other city, as soon as they have hired some more people there. This is a person DH thinks has the ability to replace him. So it is good to hear that this person now has ambitions to become a manager. So DH's replcement might come very naturally now and maybe he won't need to tell his boss earlier than necessary.

Ohh, that is good news.  I was thinking telling them even earlier to keep on good terms had a lot of potential to make things worse for your husband.  I will probably give my place a few extra weeks (over the 2) but that is more so I can avoid doing things I don't want to do  (train on new systems make goals). 

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1652 on: January 11, 2019, 06:35:13 AM »
Move me up. Sept 1

Change made, but what's the deal?  I thought you were nearly ready to OMY to 2020, and now you're thinking even earlier?

Honestly? I've been agonizing over this for a while now. It's been OLY for me since finding this place. I'm considering more creative ways of lowering my expenses, and questioning whether pulling the plug on FT work with $450k in assets vs. $525k is going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. No matter what I plan on eventually doing some sort of compensated work.

The Sept 1 plan involves a leave of absence, to provide care for an elderly family member. I am very close with my grandfather, who lives in Europe. 2019 is largely because he's 93 and I'm not sure he will be around in 2020........

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1653 on: January 11, 2019, 07:00:12 AM »
Move me up. Sept 1

Honestly? I've been agonizing over this for a while now. It's been OLY for me since finding this place. I'm considering more creative ways of lowering my expenses, and questioning whether pulling the plug on FT work with $450k in assets vs. $525k is going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. No matter what I plan on eventually doing some sort of compensated work.

The Sept 1 plan involves a leave of absence, to provide care for an elderly family member. I am very close with my grandfather, who lives in Europe. 2019 is largely because he's 93 and I'm not sure he will be around in 2020........

Those sound like good reasons to lean toward the earlier date.  And as a fellow skinny-FIREer choosing time with family over money, I shake your hand 2Birds.  Hope it works out for you to spend time with your grandfather.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1654 on: January 11, 2019, 11:03:31 AM »
Today we had a visit of a new broker for selling the house. His plan is to sell much earlier than May, rather in the end of March. And for a much higher price than we counted on. That would lead to a fatter FIRE.

I started a journal for this process. Be welcome to visit it.
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-final-stages-of-my-normal-working-life-101241/

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1655 on: January 11, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »
Today we had a visit of a new broker for selling the house. His plan is to sell much earlier than May, rather in the end of March. And for a much higher price than we counted on. That would lead to a fatter FIRE.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-final-stages-of-my-normal-working-life-101241/

That is fantastic Linda!  As long as you are ok selling sooner, that could work out great.  Fingers crossed!

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1656 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

2birds, if it works for you, do it.  Looking back there are times that I wish I had taken the time to spend more time with a family member that has since passed or that I had taken more time on a project etc.  That is one of the reasons I am getting out in 2019, so I can be present for the things that I can't yet see.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #1657 on: January 11, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
Nine weeks left until notice (and will be taking nine work days off between now and then)  #soclose

Might turn in a request for a LOA on March 1st after bonuses are finalized before the retirement notice of March 18th

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1658 on: January 11, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »

That is fantastic Linda!  As long as you are ok selling sooner, that could work out great.  Fingers crossed!

Woot woot!!  Great Linda.  Fingers crossed.

[/quote]

2birds, if it works for you, do it.  Looking back there are times that I wish I had taken the time to spend more time with a family member that has since passed or that I had taken more time on a project etc.  That is one of the reasons I am getting out in 2019, so I can be present for the things that I can't yet see.
[/quote]

A very good reason 2birds. The truly important things in life!

August

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1659 on: January 12, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »
I met with my manager Friday to let her know I'm planning to resign.  It's a day later now and I've had time to unpack what happened. 

At the time I just felt very uncomfortable about speaking openly about this, because I like the people I work with and it may not make sense to give up a "perfectly good" job.  I also had a fear of people asking me questions that I don't have clear answers for about what I'm going to be doing instead.  So it was like steeling myself and just doing it, like ripping off a sticky bandage.

I didn't have a speech planned, just the first line about planning to resign.  The first response was "sorry to hear that".  I said that I don't have any problem with the company, just that I no longer want to do this type of work.  I mentioned a hobby/business project that I want to put spend time on.  Also that several people I know have passed away within the last two years and that has motivated me to make a change.  We talked a bit about how long we've been working together, and that she just needs the notice letter to give to HR.  And that I'm leaving in good standing and would be welcomed back if I want.  No pressure!

Looking back, I now realize that because of my fears/nervousness I expected some resistance.  Like a negotiation for a later date after the workload goes down, or a cross examination about how my business project would make money.  But those fears were unfounded.

I still need to hand in that letter to make it final.

(I see I'm not on Trifele's list yet - maybe add me to TBD?)

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1660 on: January 12, 2019, 11:59:02 PM »
Just wanted to pop in from the 2018 cohort and say, Happy FIRE YEAR to each and every one of you.

It's awesome.   You'll love it.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1661 on: January 13, 2019, 05:46:51 AM »
I met with my manager Friday to let her know I'm planning to resign. 

(I see I'm not on Trifele's list yet - maybe add me to TBD?)

Got you added to the list above @August -- Congratulations!  Announcing your resignation is a huge milestone passed.  Sounds like you may be FIREing very soon!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 06:37:10 PM by Trifele »

desk_jockey

• Stubble
« Reply #1662 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »
Iím watching you folks as you get ready and to learn from your final preparations.   Iím targeting RE sometime between Jul2020 and end 2022.  The only realistic thing that would move up to 2019 is if I get a severance package in late 2019.   Iíd receive the max, about 6-monthsí salary & healthcare.  I think the chance of some layoffs in 4th Q 2019 is high, but the chance of me landing one is quite low.   A guy can dream, canít he?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1663 on: January 13, 2019, 12:30:19 PM »
Just wanted to pop in from the 2018 cohort and say, Happy FIRE YEAR to each and every one of you.

Glad to hear Swordguy!  Have fun.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1664 on: January 13, 2019, 12:35:45 PM »
Iím watching you folks as you get ready and to learn from your final preparations.   Iím targeting RE sometime between Jul2020 and end 2022.  The only realistic thing that would move up to 2019 is if I get a severance package in late 2019.   Iíd receive the max, about 6-monthsí salary & healthcare.  I think the chance of some layoffs in 4th Q 2019 is high, but the chance of me landing one is quite low.   A guy can dream, canít he?

Been dreaming it for two years, personally in the starter ranks for a golden parachute.  A layoff would be worth about two years compensation

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1665 on: January 13, 2019, 04:14:39 PM »

Thank you! It's kind of you to stop by. =-)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1666 on: January 14, 2019, 01:26:24 AM »
Iím watching you folks

Yes.  We are watching.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1667 on: January 15, 2019, 12:43:13 AM »
A bit off-topic, but I just found out yesterday that a friend of mine is a multi millionaire. I have known him and his wife for years. They are both lawyers. She has always been very ambitious and working for years at Big Law. He has always been working at government agencies, working normal hours.

They have 2 children and a more spendy lifestyle than we have. They typically drive a nicer car (with a car loan, many years ago), have a slightly more expensive house than we have, often go on trips abroad and live in hotels, while we camp. I had heard that his father was rich. We once heard from a third person, that his father own half the town they lived in.

For some reason, DH yesterday looked up this friend's father in the tax lists (in Norway that is semi-public info). We found out that his father showed up in a list of the top ten richest people of the town they live in, with a really big (taxable) net worth. But our friend himself also showed up in that list, with a net worth 4 times as big as our combined net worth. He has obviously already received a large portion of his inheritance, as I cannot imagine he would have been able to save that much by himself. Good for him.

I am pretty sure that my friend and his wife still work. I also doubt whether they would be able to live of this large pot of money, with their current lifestyle. But maybe next time I meet them, I should tell them about my plans to FIRE. Especially to his wife who is also Dutch and not born as a big spendypants. Maybe if I tell her about our plans, she might ask about the exact amount. If I would mention that, she might realize that they could perhaps do the same, with a few lifestyle adjustments. Or she could at least stop working full time at such high ambitious jobs, where she seems to be underappreciated.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:46:13 AM by Linda_Norway »

Freedomin5

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1668 on: January 15, 2019, 07:02:40 AM »
Sorry...I really enjoy hanging out here with all you wonderful people, but it looks like my FIRE date is moving to 2021, if not even further off.

My manager caught wind of a rumor that I was thinking of not renewing my contract and FREAKED OUT. As in, escalated to the company CEO (and I work for a pretty big company and didnít even know that the CEO knew who I was) and came into my office demanding an explanation and then begged me not to leave. The CEO now wants to talk to me, I think to see what they can offer me to convince me to stay...even though I havenít said Iím leaving.

At the same time, Iíve gotten a verbal offer for another position that offers lower pay but many many benefits including three months paid vacation, decent work hours, housing, round trip airfare, pension plan, health insurance, and school tuition for DD. It would be a huge step up in terms of standard of living - we might even finally approximate a middle class North American lifestyle without sacrificing much by way of our savings rate. And the work and lifestyle is less stressful. Weíd be living walking distance to work and school.

The comparison is kind of like a high stress high compensation private industry job versus a lower paid but more secure and laidback government job. Just out of curiosity, any advice in which one you would take?

So either way, unless something completely random happens, it looks like FIRE-ing in 2019 is a no go.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1669 on: January 15, 2019, 07:42:44 AM »
Tell current job you want the things new job is offering -- including a reduced work schedule/greater flexibility about what projects you work on (including the option of rejecting those you know will be a huge ball of stress) -- at a higher pay rate than you are getting currently.  Including allowances for schooling costs and health insurance.  They probably won't give them to you, but this is your one shot to see.

And then take the other job, anyway.  Because this company has already done slimey things with you.

I took a 25%-ish pay cut when I left my Horrible Soul Sucking Job and got the other one.  But the benefits were better in the new one (7.5% 403b match after first year, same great Cigna insurance but with lower premiums/deductible/copays to the tune of a few thousand a year) and my boss offered me the job even though I cried in my interview.  That mattered.  It was a great place to work until he left and they took advantage of me.  If my commute hadn't been so awful the first few years it would have been near perfect.  High salary isn't all its cracked up to be, especially when you have a pattern of not wanting to spend it to improve your quality of life.  I think this new job will make it feasible for you to stay in China 2-5 more years.  The quality of life stuff REALLY matters.  In your current company, I would say you are close to burnout if not already there.

Roboturner

• Bristles
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #1670 on: January 15, 2019, 03:25:04 PM »
I'm unfortunately bowing out of the race. Going for fat-FIRE/until I'm bored/can't take it anymore, after hitting FI last year. Best of luck to the new graduates!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1671 on: January 16, 2019, 12:32:39 AM »
I'm unfortunately bowing out of the race. Going for fat-FIRE/until I'm bored/can't take it anymore, after hitting FI last year. Best of luck to the new graduates!

Good for you.

This morning we were discussing to do OMY. So I might be out of here. :-(
DH has finally been playing around with the numbers in my FIRE spreadsheet and thinks the plan is a little too lean and too little robust for an occasional, necessary, big expense. We are not even talking about a fatter FIRE, but just one where we won't go broke in our sixties. We do have a few buffers (selling our cabin and receiving a possible inheritance), but they are not providing DH enough security. I want us both to be comfortable with the plan, so it is important to land this before we are actually putting the house for sale and quitting jobs.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1672 on: January 16, 2019, 03:25:39 AM »
Farewell and good luck @Freedomin5 and @Roboturner!  We'll miss you.  Come back if you change your mind. 

2019 FIRE Cohort:

02/13/19     SeanTash
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
05/31/19     dude   
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     Keeks
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
09/??/19     dayzero
10/01/19     Linda_Norway
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie

August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:54:20 AM by Trifele »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1673 on: January 16, 2019, 03:30:26 AM »
DH has finally been playing around with the numbers in my FIRE spreadsheet and thinks the plan is a little too lean and too little robust for an occasional, necessary, big expense. We are not even talking about a fatter FIRE, but just one where we won't go broke in our sixties. We do have a few buffers (selling our cabin and receiving a possible inheritance), but they are not providing DH enough security. I want us both to be comfortable with the plan, so it is important to land this before we are actually putting the house for sale and quitting jobs.

It's definitely critical to have your spouse on board for FIRE.  Does he think the numbers are too lean even if you sell your house for that larger amount your new agent predicted?  Maybe you two can put off a final decision until after the house sells?

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1674 on: January 16, 2019, 03:30:56 AM »
@Trifele - it looks like you're next. What's your status?

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1675 on: January 16, 2019, 03:59:21 AM »
@Trifele - it looks like you're next. What's your status?

Resignation was submitted some time ago, and my last day is scheduled for 1/31.  I've been training my replacement and getting all my work in order to hand over.   My boss is exerting pressure on me to stay another month, but so far I'm holding firm.  They haven't actually offered me money to stay yet.  If they do, I'm considering telling them I would do it if they let me work part time, but we'll see.  (Thanks for the suggestion @PhilB!)

I'm married with two kids.  DH is already FIREd and home with the kids.  We live on a small hobby farm and are doing a massive renovation on the old farm house while we live in it, doing the work ourselves.  We're essentially rebuilding the entire house structure from the foundation up (DH has mad construction skills).  We have so many stories about our house build, I probably should have started a journal.  At this point I'm really looking forward to being done with my FT job so I can be with the family and help more with the house.  And we're planning to do some traveling this year.  We've already booked camping reservations for Zion, Grand Canyon, and Shenandoah, and are planning to check out Kisatchie in Louisiana.  Happy happy!

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1676 on: January 16, 2019, 04:32:39 AM »
Sounds like a great year, Trifele.

I just realized that I'll be the second youngest (of those who shared age) to pull it off in 2019, if all goes to plan :)

@Lews Therin.....how does it feel young blood?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1677 on: January 16, 2019, 04:43:10 AM »

It's definitely critical to have your spouse on board for FIRE.  Does he think the numbers are too lean even if you sell your house for that larger amount your new agent predicted?  Maybe you two can put off a final decision until after the house sells?

The broker says our "working estimate" for the house is 9,5 mil Norwegian crowns. His costs are 0,25 mil. But yesterday he told me we needed to put it on the market with a high price to be able to negotiate with people who bid a lower price. Someone might offer 8 mil. And we might end up with 8,7 mil.

DH and I have now decided that 8,7 is the minimum sales price we can accept for a lean FIRE. We would prefer more margin. We think it is highly unlikely that we will receive over 9 mil. We still need to discuss if we won't to go through the stress of trying to sell the house for 9,5 or wether we don't bother this year.

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1678 on: January 16, 2019, 05:02:57 AM »
Please add me!
I just gave notice, and my last day of slavery is Feb 13th.

Lews Therin

• Handlebar Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #1679 on: January 16, 2019, 06:06:50 AM »
Sounds like a great year, Trifele.

I just realized that I'll be the second youngest (of those who shared age) to pull it off in 2019, if all goes to plan :)

@Lews Therin.....how does it feel young blood?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Knees creak, back hurts, and looking forwards to bouncing my niece and nephews on my knee while reading them a book in front of a fireplace.

Also, work sucks, I don't want to be here for another 6 months..... Ugh.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1680 on: January 16, 2019, 06:57:18 AM »
Please add me!
I just gave notice, and my last day of slavery is Feb 13th.

Congrats and Welcome SeanTash!  Got you added to the list above.  Do share your story!

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1681 on: January 16, 2019, 06:57:44 AM »
I know, this is another reason why I'm trying to pull of a leave of absence during ~2 months of this year.

It'll be here before you know it!

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1682 on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:44 AM »
So many changes!

Goodbye to those that needed to leave.  Enjoy your OMY+, there are worse things.  Especially if it was a down shift in stress.

Hello to those that joined, you picked a very nice year!

Good luck to those that are still deciding.  There is still time, but make sure to pick the one you can live with and sleep well at night!

As for me, my company is all about making goals in January.  Boo.  We usually don't get this push until  late Feb. So it looks like I might have to make goals for the year.

Loren

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1683 on: January 17, 2019, 02:49:16 AM »
DH and I have decided to do OMY now, to make our FIRE more robust. So, goodbye for me and good luck to all of you.

2019 FIRE Cohort:

02/13/19     SeanTash
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
05/31/19     dude   
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     Keeks
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie

August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1684 on: January 17, 2019, 03:02:53 AM »
Goodbye @Linda_Norway!  Best of luck.  Come back anytime if things change again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:31:16 AM by Trifele »

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1685 on: January 17, 2019, 05:29:10 AM »
Good luck Linda! 

Livingthedream55

• Bristles
« Reply #1686 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:35 AM »

Good for you.

All good reasoning - and understandable you want to feel secure - please do keep us updated. I really appreciate your posts!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1687 on: January 17, 2019, 07:43:27 AM »
Found out I need to submit a copy of my marriage certificate with my retirement paperwork (for survivor benefits) so contacted the town where we got married and sent them the completed request they directed me to. Soon as I get that certificate in the mail, I'll be filing my paperwork to retire effective 5/31.

Livingthedream55

• Bristles
« Reply #1688 on: January 17, 2019, 07:48:44 AM »
Found out I need to submit a copy of my marriage certificate with my retirement paperwork (for survivor benefits) so contacted the town where we got married and sent them the completed request they directed me to. Soon as I get that certificate in the mail, I'll be filing my paperwork to retire effective 5/31.

Woohoo @dude My retirement is also effective 5/31! I plan to file on 2/1. Already have the paperwork ready in a folder - can't wait!!

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1689 on: January 17, 2019, 09:48:29 AM »
Best Wishes to Linda and the rest of what seems to be becoming a bumper crop of OMYs!  Much better to have a slightly fatter FIRE and be happy than an overly lean one that makes you stressed, so congratulations on working out what's best for you.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1690 on: January 17, 2019, 10:55:00 AM »

Woohoo @dude My retirement is also effective 5/31! I plan to file on 2/1. Already have the paperwork ready in a folder - can't wait!!

Congrats, Ltd55! It appears we live in the same corner of the globe, btw.

Pylortes

• Stubble
« Reply #1691 on: January 17, 2019, 11:13:11 AM »
Ran across this great short article about retiring early on Seeking Alpha that I think is worth a read and may be interesting to fellow 2019ers as we are contemplating our plans-  https://seekingalpha.com/article/4233932-knowing-retire

I'm still shooting for mid year at this point (more likely right now for end of June rather than end of May) but will not make a final decision until closer to the date.  Maybe for chart purposes put me at 6/30 and I'll adjust again once I know more. 

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1692 on: January 17, 2019, 12:56:25 PM »
List updated with Pylortes's new date:

2019 FIRE Cohort:

02/13/19     SeanTash
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
05/31/19     dude   
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/30/19     Pylortes  (42)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
07/??/19     Keeks
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
09/??/19     dayzero
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/27/19     moxie

August
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY/2MY/Etc:
Freedomin5 (38)
Roboturner  (30)
Bateaux (51)
Linda_Norway (45)

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1693 on: January 18, 2019, 01:39:22 AM »
Still on track here for finishing on 1/31.   I was thinking I would slide smoothly and uneventfully over the finish line, but Noooo . . . . I got the word yesterday that I have to lay off a bunch of people on my team (part of MegaCorp takeover adjustments).  The one-on-one meetings are scheduled for today. 

I've done this before but it doesn't make it much easier.  These are very good people who do good work.  We had thought our department would be spared from layoffs, but then MegaCorp did a 180.  Shit sandwich, all the way around.  At least they will get severance, and some job-searching assistance from HR apparently.  I don't know the personal financial situation of these folks, but I hope they have their act together and this job loss is not a serious crisis for them.

There are going to be a lot of tears and hugs today at work I predict.  I also predict a large martini in my hand after work tonight. 

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1694 on: January 18, 2019, 04:48:28 AM »
Still on track here for finishing on 1/31.   I was thinking I would slide smoothly and uneventfully over the finish line, but Noooo . . . . I got the word yesterday that I have to lay off a bunch of people on my team (part of MegaCorp takeover adjustments).  The one-on-one meetings are scheduled for today. 

I've done this before but it doesn't make it much easier.  These are very good people who do good work.  We had thought our department would be spared from layoffs, but then MegaCorp did a 180.  Shit sandwich, all the way around.  At least they will get severance, and some job-searching assistance from HR apparently.  I don't know the personal financial situation of these folks, but I hope they have their act together and this job loss is not a serious crisis for them.

There are going to be a lot of tears and hugs today at work I predict.  I also predict a large martini in my hand after work tonight.

Not fun.  I do not envy your day at all.  One of the reasons I am glad I was never a manager.  Tears and hugs and treat them like people!

But no layoff for you?  Sheesh!

LV

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1695 on: January 18, 2019, 09:12:10 AM »

I feel for you, not fun at all.  Not having to do this any more is one of the reasons you (and me and others) are FIREing.  Some people are ok with having to let people go, I'm not one of them.  You are so close to the finish line, hang in there, we are behind you.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1696 on: January 18, 2019, 09:13:22 AM »

I'm really sorry, we're going through this garbage too at megacorp.  They do mass layoffs in the same week they announce record earnings

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1697 on: January 18, 2019, 10:17:13 AM »
Maybe, just maybe a few of those people are dreaming about getting laid off.

I know I do.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1698 on: January 18, 2019, 11:11:28 AM »

That is a very stressful job. I would ask the people during the personal meetings if any of them would appreciate a severance package. (And fire those who would tolerare it best).
Can you put yourself on the list?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:18:00 AM by Linda_Norway »

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1699 on: January 18, 2019, 11:15:51 AM »
Wow, that sucks Trifele, both for you and them.  Hang in there.