Author Topic: 2019 fire cohort  (Read 247176 times)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
Re: 2019 fire cohort
« Reply #1600 on: January 04, 2019, 12:01:22 PM »
@MissNancyPryor I would move for Option #2, just figure out how to pull it off and keep your year-end bonus for the work you put in for 2018.

I just left my near executive level role for a lateral move.  Three days in and it feels like an anchor has been lifted from my chest.

SpareChange

• Bristles
« Reply #1601 on: January 04, 2019, 12:07:15 PM »
@MissNancyPryor I would move for Option #2, just figure out how to pull it off and keep your year-end bonus for the work you put in for 2018.

I just left my near executive level role for a lateral move.  Three days in and it feels like an anchor has been lifted from my chest.

Good for you! Did they bat an eye over your decision?

Livingthedream55

• Bristles
« Reply #1602 on: January 04, 2019, 12:15:13 PM »
Hey Nineteen-  What do you think of this?

Yesterday a former boss and I went to lunch.  I loved working for her and we have remained friends. 

I let her know that I was hoping to pull the plug mid year but was a little wobbly with the market troubles of late.  She said she will have an opening for an analyst in her group at FormerCo within the month and wondered if I would be interested.

My current job is high paid with a fat bonus.  It comes with high stress and ridiculous travel across the country on the regular (I counted 83 flights in 2017, somewhat less in 2018.)  It is the usual big company bullshit though and I feel nauseous every single day I go to the office of MegaCorpSucks, Inc.  The job allows me to save almost 80% of my income but I believe it is killing me and I will have a heart attack or get cancer eventually if I stay.  Yes, that bad.         

The role at FormerCo is pretty mid-level non-management, probably 40% of my current pay, tiny bonus, and maybe only 2 trips a year that are just regional hops for a day or two.  Low stress.  Back working with people in a culture that is really great.  If I take the role I would be in line to assume this woman's role when she gets kicked upstairs within 2-5 years if I choose it.  Even at the far reduced pay I would be saving substantially but more importantly I would be shortening my overall retirement funds demand.  I could half-step my way to retirement but still FIRE at any time if it is not a good fit. 

Option 1:  stay at MegaCorpSucks as planned until July 5th and hang it up.  I might not have as much cash on hand as I like but I won't need to sell stocks for a couple years.  Decompress for at least 6 months and add a couple years back to my life expectancy.  FIRE on!  Seven more months at a job that's making you sick? No, no, no!!

Option 2:  take the analyst job at FormerCo just after my bonus arrives in March. Enjoy the major downshift of responsibility.  Get some social buoyancy for a while.  Glide into retirement in a couple more years or if I really like it I can position myself to be a big cheese at that company at some point.  Understanding that getting up and going to work every day even with the short commute will still be a grind but the stress will evaporate.  So does the fat money.     

Another appealing thought is that the former company is populated by hundreds of local people and there is a possibility that I might find a partner there.  At my current company our regional office is small and I have been everyone's boss at one time or another so dating anyone is out of the question.  I am very isolated socially at work.  I know this is a little goofy but it matters-- at FormerCo, Inc there have been many long term marriages among co-workers.    Lots of good stuff with Option # 2!

See, I am rocking like 97% success on my favorite retirement calculator and 100% on cfiresim even with today's totals.  Even with the drop in the market I am fine, and yet I wobble emotionally.  That's understandable but you need out of MegaCorps! That tells me I need more psychological understanding on my decision to retire completely.  Maybe the major downshift is a way to glide out? 

Thoughts?  Feel free to whack me with a 2x4 if you think it is required or if I am being ridiculous.  And thanks-     

The numbers work for FIRE so my vote is for leaving Megacorps once you get your bonus. As far as FormerCo, sounds like you are drawn to it for a number of reasons. I made a lateral move to another agency three years ago to glide into FIRE - never regretted it for a moment. The lack of stress and anxiety feels like a vacation!!

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #1603 on: January 04, 2019, 12:33:59 PM »
You are the best!  I appreciate everyone chiming in and looking over the situation with me and offering your perspectives.

We had a compensation planning call with HR this morning and I asked if someone leaves before March do they get the bonus payout and the answer is yes, if they are in good standing and they worked all of last year they do get it.  The other leaders assumed I am asking for my own staff so it was a perfect stealth move. 

I am leaning hard toward the “give it a shot with FormerCo” route, and most importantly I realize I gotta get out of here.  That means even if the old place pulls back the offer of a role I will still step out by July 5th for my health. 

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1604 on: January 04, 2019, 12:45:20 PM »
You are the best!  I appreciate everyone chiming in and looking over the situation with me and offering your perspectives.

We had a compensation planning call with HR this morning and I asked if someone leaves before March do they get the bonus payout and the answer is yes, if they are in good standing and they worked all of last year they do get it.  The other leaders assumed I am asking for my own staff so it was a perfect stealth move. 

I am leaning hard toward the “give it a shot with FormerCo” route, and most importantly I realize I gotta get out of here.  That means even if the old place pulls back the offer of a role I will still step out by July 5th for my health.

That's a good thing to check on and not assume.

That was our situation in the past, this year megacorp still hasn't finalized the 2018 plan, it'll be used as a loophole to not pay people who leave before.

They also moved back the equity vesting date

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1605 on: January 04, 2019, 12:52:03 PM »
Today I switched my taxable account dividends to stop being re-invested and instead get dumped into my bank account.  If I'm paying taxes on these things no matter what, they may as well be part of my spending. 

Feels really strange though.  I guess this is the first step in going from saver to spender.  It's a big difference.

And chiming in with the others that this kind of pace is insane.  You may have gotten somewhat desensitized to it, but from an outside perspective, I can't imagine all that travel.  And I plan to be a perpetual traveler!!

That nails it.  If I can just hold on a while longer I can out-earn the analyst’s paycheck in the blink of an eye.  I keep going back to that, too.

Then I think it isn’t a blink of an eye, it is the nagging twitch of the eye I have developed.  It is just 35 more plane rides.  Just 104 more sick mornings.  7 more all-leaders multi day hotel conference room shit shows where nothing gets done. 

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1606 on: January 04, 2019, 01:12:23 PM »
Today I switched my taxable account dividends to stop being re-invested and instead get dumped into my bank account.  If I'm paying taxes on these things no matter what, they may as well be part of my spending. 

Feels really strange though.  I guess this is the first step in going from saver to spender.  It's a big difference.

I did that in December to help build my cash buffer, oh my, I've never had that much seemly random money start showing up in my account.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels strange.  With the market being down, i want to put it back in!

LV

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1607 on: January 04, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »

I did that in December to help build my cash buffer, oh my, I've never had that much seemly random money start showing up in my account.  I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels strange.  With the market being down, i want to put it back in!

LV

Right?  That's where it's supposed to go!! Back in the market!  lol

FIRE 20/20

• Stubble
« Reply #1608 on: January 04, 2019, 08:06:11 PM »
Hey Nineteen-  What do you think of this?

Thoughts?  Feel free to whack me with a 2x4 if you think it is required or if I am being ridiculous.  And thanks-     

@MissNancyPryor , it looks like you already have some good advice and may already know what you're going to do, but I just saw this and felt a need to reply.  You have already won the game.  You're done.  Yes, you may not have the cash on hand that you'd like, but if you're at 100% in cfiresim you don't need to live to meet any company's demands any longer.  And you *certainly* don't need to keep going back to MegaCorpSucks and dealing with all the anguish that's associated with it.  I think all the concerns about meeting people in the elevator and the big cheese potential and the bonus are your brain's way of distracting you from the bottom line truth of your situation - you don't need any of this shit any more and you can do whatever you want and that's terrifying. 
I'm not going to try to play internet psychiatrist any more than I already have, but it seems as though you are objectively past the point where you can FIRE but your brain isn't fully on board yet.  As cheesy as it sounds I would stand in front of the mirror and tell yourself that you don't need to go in to MegaCorpSucks ever again.  You don't need to feel nauseous every morning.  You don't need to chop weeks off your life every day you go into that toxic environment.  So don't.  I don't think it matters if you just call in sick for a couple weeks or give two week's notice or dump a pile of manure in your boss's office as long as you get out as quickly as possible.  The whole reason you've been pursuing this path is so you don't have to deal with this any more and you're now at a point that you don't.  So don't. 

I don't know whether or not you should take the job at FormerCo.  If you need to do that until you can get your brain fully on board then that's what you need to do.  But I think you need to accept - not just know intellectually but really believe - that you are making a choice to be there and that you don't really need the money.  I suspect that it won't take long for you to give your notice there as well once you truly believe that you don't need to go there every day, but I don't think it's a bad idea to try it out. 

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1609 on: January 04, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
@MissNancyPryor , it looks like you already have some good advice and may already know what you're going to do, but I just saw this and felt a need to reply.  You have already won the game.  You're done. 
....snip.....
... or dump a pile of manure in your boss's office as long as you get out as quickly as possible.  The whole reason you've been pursuing this path is so you don't have to deal with this any more and you're now at a point that you don't.  So don't. 

While I'm not suggesting the manure method, I would recommend NOT going to "retreats" or meetings you don't want to attend.  YOU have the power here, not the CEO's secretary. Worst case scenario, a layoff with $everance or unemployment, or a FIREing (which is what you want anyway).

Just take a mental health day when the intolerable events are scheduled, or have an "emergency" at work or at home.  I've found that forgetting or ignoring meetings works for me, YMMV.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1610 on: January 05, 2019, 05:57:26 AM »
10 weeks until retirement notice.

Updated the spreadsheet this morning, thanks to yesterday net worth is only $122k off from the high

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1611 on: January 05, 2019, 06:57:09 AM »
10 weeks until retirement notice.

That came quickly!!

I'll be requesting my Leave of Absence at the end of June. Need to commit to a date.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1612 on: January 05, 2019, 08:07:59 AM »

It is still a long time to July, and as you mentioned earlier, it involves a great number of flights and BS meetings. Please resign much sooner.

I suggest you use your good negotiating position to get a PT job at FormerCo and focus on finding a potential partner. Maybe work there for another year and then FIRE.

Other alternative is to not start in a new job, and find new activities in your town, where you meet new people.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:54:33 AM by Linda_Norway »

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #1613 on: January 05, 2019, 09:27:36 AM »
@FIRE 20/20, @markbike528CBX, @Linda_Norway    - each of you are tapping on the foundations of the issue for sure.  The mental move is the final part of FIRE-ing for all of us, isn't it?  The math is the math.  The mind is the much tougher calculus. 

After seeking all this great input and sleeping on it I told the boss lady that I am seriously considering joining her at FormerCo and will be gone from MegaSucks this year.  She was very happy and immediately said they should "look for a role more conducive to my talents" instead of the analyst role which means some sort of leadership spot.  Ugh. 

Some middle-management gig is a hard no.  Director of Engineering there is also a hard no (I know too much about the crap hidden under the rug, too many bodies buried and I am not going to clean up that shit from the prior director doing a poor job for 25 years).  Too much out of the fire and into the pan; it might be a bit better than where I am with less travel but it is still way too hot. 

I didn't reply and will let things soak.  I am content if nothing comes of it and realize that the happy-talk she is making might score me a good part time gig or other easy option, if they are trying to get me to bite just to get me back on board they may offer something unusual and beneficial.  I admit it is really nice to be wanted and that my work is appreciated even after being gone for 6 years.   

I am determined that I will step out of MegaCorpSucks no matter what.  Going through this and writing it down has helped me see that there can be no other option and the price is simply too high to stay.   Thanks again to all who chimed in. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 09:29:14 AM by MissNancyPryor »

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1614 on: January 06, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »

snip   

I am determined that I will step out of MegaCorpSucks no matter what.  Going through this and writing it down has helped me see that there can be no other option and the price is simply too high to stay.  Thanks again to all who chimed in.

Great Happiness!  Yah!!

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1615 on: January 06, 2019, 11:48:02 AM »
My current job is high paid with a fat bonus.  It comes with high stress and ridiculous travel across the country on the regular (I counted 83 flights in 2017, somewhat less in 2018.)  It is the usual big company bullshit though and I feel nauseous every single day I go to the office of MegaCorpSucks, Inc.  The job allows me to save almost 80% of my income but I believe it is killing me and I will have a heart attack or get cancer eventually if I stay.  Yes, that bad. 

If my job was even half as bad as what you describe, I would definitely go ahead and FIRE this June per my original plan.  I can't imagine working a job that I feel that way about.  Like you, I saved around 80% of my take home pay, and my stash numbers say I can FIRE at anytime with a 4% SWR to allow a semi-FAT FIRE (for me).  But I actually like like my job.  After 15 years of shared office space, I finally got my own office back in 2017, real walls and door.  I like it a lot better and stopped feeling that strong urge to get away from that job.  Same job - just a change in my environment that made all the difference in the world.  No travel for me - I usually don't even leave my building for lunch.  I actually miss it sometimes when I have a day off.  I was looking to FIRE in June 2019 but staying on part time if at all possible until April 2020, but the part time work option isn't guaranteed, so I might just stay on full time until April 2020, then plan to FIRE completely.  I haven't decided for certain.  But if I didn't like the job and even enjoy it at times, I would be FIREing sooner rather than later since the stash says I can.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #1616 on: January 06, 2019, 12:30:47 PM »
That is really good that you like your work.  Like Dr. Doom I have often wondered if I would enjoy any job. 

I have a door and a 6th floor view of the river.  The building is right on a water's edge with only a walking path between the back door and water.  Huge windows that go wall-to-wall and all the way to the ceiling. 

I remember when I was working at my first job, fast food.  I came home every day smelling like fries and with a visor ring in my 1980's hairdo.  I longed for a job where I didn't have to wear a hat.  9 months there.

Next job was in a supermarket deli.  More hat, and now with greasy floors to slip on.  I got athlete's foot from the hot water they used in the back to hose down he floors constantly to clean up the breaded raw chicken and other slop.  I longed for a job where I didn't have to clean grease.  I was also checker for a couple of that grocery outlet's locations.  I longed for a job where I didn't have to stand on my feet all day.  3 years there.

Next job was as a bill collector for a cable company.  I sat in a low-wall cubicle environment where we could see each other and hear each other's calls.  I got screamed at by losers who told me I was taking food from the mouths of their children because I made them pay for HBO.  I longed to go back to school and do something that was not in a swamp of human stupidity.  7 years there. 

I went back to school.  It was very difficult.  I paid a college large sums of money to hurt me but it was with a hope to get out and be a grownup finally.  I longed for a real job. 

I got one and climbed the ladder and things were so much better.  After a long time I finally did get the privacy and cushy office.  I have the comfortable wardrobe with no hat and no overlord micromanaging my day. 

But now after achieving FI it is as if I sit in a golden cage where they slide large checks under the door.  If the travel could stop I would give up half my salary.  I do wish I liked my job. 

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #1617 on: January 06, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »

LV

I know right!  Must refrain!

Dibdab

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • http://bryanspicures.shutterfly.com/
« Reply #1618 on: January 06, 2019, 06:39:55 PM »
That is really good that you like your work.  Like Dr. Doom I have often wondered if I would enjoy any job. 

I have a door and a 6th floor view of the river.  The building is right on a water's edge with only a walking path between the back door and water.  Huge windows that go wall-to-wall and all the way to the ceiling. 

I remember when I was working at my first job, fast food.  I came home every day smelling like fries and with a visor ring in my 1980's hairdo.  I longed for a job where I didn't have to wear a hat.  9 months there.

Next job was in a supermarket deli.  More hat, and now with greasy floors to slip on.  I got athlete's foot from the hot water they used in the back to hose down he floors constantly to clean up the breaded raw chicken and other slop.  I longed for a job where I didn't have to clean grease.  I was also checker for a couple of that grocery outlet's locations.  I longed for a job where I didn't have to stand on my feet all day.  3 years there.

Next job was as a bill collector for a cable company.  I sat in a low-wall cubicle environment where we could see each other and hear each other's calls.  I got screamed at by losers who told me I was taking food from the mouths of their children because I made them pay for HBO.  I longed to go back to school and do something that was not in a swamp of human stupidity.  7 years there. 

I went back to school.  It was very difficult.  I paid a college large sums of money to hurt me but it was with a hope to get out and be a grownup finally.  I longed for a real job. 

I got one and climbed the ladder and things were so much better.  After a long time I finally did get the privacy and cushy office.  I have the comfortable wardrobe with no hat and no overlord micromanaging my day. 

But now after achieving FI it is as if I sit in a golden cage where they slide large checks under the door.  If the travel could stop I would give up half my salary.  I do wish I liked my job.
So why have you not quit already?

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1619 on: January 06, 2019, 08:53:10 PM »

Glad to hear it. Congrats!

forward

• Stubble
« Reply #1620 on: January 07, 2019, 09:17:41 AM »

This morning brought a Godfather-esque round of surprise reorganization and firing.  I am not directly impacted …yet.  So unsettling to work in this environment.  Trying to hang on for a few more months.

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1621 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »

This morning brought a Godfather-esque round of surprise reorganization and firing.  I am not directly impacted …yet.  So unsettling to work in this environment.  Trying to hang on for a few more months.

If you're FIREing this year, then by definition, you've got MEGA-FU money, so why be bothered, except for coworkers? Since you don't know which coworkers are in trouble, it's out of your sphere of influence, so worrying won't accomplish anything. Enjoy the drama you don't have pay tickets for.

Michael: It’s not personal, Sonny. It’s strictly business.
The Godfather

[as Tessio and Hagen walk to Michael's house, they are met by a bodyguard, Willi Cicci]
Willi Cicci : Sal... Tom... the boss says he'll come in a separate car. He says for you two to go on ahead.
Tessio : Hell, he can't do that; that screws up all my arrangements.
Willi Cicci : Well, that's what he said.
Tom Hagen : I can't go with you either, Tessio.
[just then, Michael's bodyguards materialize around them, Tessio understands everything]
Tessio : [to Hagen]  Tell Mike it was only business. I always liked him.
Tom Hagen : He understands that.
Willi Cicci : [removing Tessio's gun]  Excuse me, Sally.
Tessio : Can you get me off the hook, Tom? For old times' sake?
Tom Hagen : [shakes his head]  Can't do it, Sally.
[Hagen watches sadly as Tessio is led by Cicci and the others to a waiting car]
Via IMDB
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:39:51 AM by markbike528CBX »

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
« Reply #1622 on: January 07, 2019, 05:11:17 PM »

Love to hear details-  always good reminders on why FU money is important.

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/layoffs-at-work-share-your-stories/msg1138433/#msg1138433

Must be time to bump this one.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 05:14:59 PM by MissNancyPryor »

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1623 on: January 07, 2019, 05:37:45 PM »
I won't be making the 2019 class of FIRE.  It's certainly OMY for me.  Too many wrinkles to iron out for now.  I'm thinking August 2020 is solid unless the bottom really falls out.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1624 on: January 08, 2019, 03:38:24 AM »
Sorry to lose you @Bateaux!!  Come back anytime.  List updated.

2019 FIRE Cohort:

01/01/19     Bingeworker (52)   CONFIRMED
01/31/19     Trifele (51)
02/01/19     Cycling Stache (44)
02/08/19     Socmonkey (37)
02/25/19     MaybeBabyMustache
02/??/19     zinnie  (35)
03/15/19     exit2019  (40)
03/19/19     ChasesFish (36)
03/??/19     MissNancyPryor  (50)     
03/??/19     Roboturner  (30)
03/??/19     Edgema
03/29/19     JumboShrimp
03/31/19     BlindSquirrel
03/31/19     Mr. Ver (39)
03/31/19     Loren Ver (36)
04/01/19     HalfStached  (41)
04/01/19     Gerardc  (35)
04/01/19     JoJo (45)
04/01/19     Ryder (39)
04/19/19     Eric
04/??/19     Luck12  (41)
04/??/19     PowerStache (43)
05/01/19     Albireo13  (61)                   
05/??/19     SamIAm38  (29)
05/??/19     FIRE 20/20  (42)
05/31/19     Pylortes  (42)
05/31/19     Odiedog8590  (62)
05/31/19     Livingthedream55  (59)
05/31/19     dude   
06/01/19     Prairie Stash
06/07/19     DreamFire
06/21/19     Parizade  (62)
06/22/19     Waffles  (52)
06/??/19     Oldtoyota
06/??/19     Itchyfeet  (47)
06/??/19     CryingInThePool  (44)
07/??/19     powersuitrecall  (47)
07/??/19     Enigma  (39)
07/??/19     Thedividebyzero  (45)
07/??/19     Keeks
07/01/19     Freedomin5 (38)
07/03/19     Gerard
07/03/19     Miss Piggy
07/29/19     Lews Therin (29)
08/01/19     SugarMountain
09/01/19     2Birds1Stone  (32)
09/02/19     Cornbread OMalley  (42)  Date Confirmed
09/??/19     RetirementDreaming
09/??/19     dayzero
10/01/19     Linda_Norway
10/??/19     VoteCthulu  (39)
10/??/19     Trix76  (43)
10/??/19     MoMan  (55)
10/??/19     Dreamer
12/??/19     HBFI  (38)
12/??/19     luckyme13  (45)
12/27/19     moxie
12/31/19     texxan1  (47)

2019 Cohort with date TBD:
Lowerbills (40)
getoutsoon (52)
IPlawyer
MustacheAnxiety
forward

OMY:
Bateaux (51)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:49:53 AM by Trifele »

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1625 on: January 08, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »
@Trifele - thanks for keeping our list up to date!

Each time I see my name and date on the list, it gives me more confidence. I mean, if it's on the internet, it's gotta be true! I'm committed now!

Lews Therin

• Handlebar Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #1626 on: January 08, 2019, 08:59:42 AM »
Sadly, I'll admit that my date has moved. from 26 April to 29th July.

Extra 3 months work - 17 vacation days.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1627 on: January 08, 2019, 10:48:02 AM »

LV

+1. I’ve got a small pile of cash in my bank account and itching to put it to work...... which it will later this year when it puts meals on the table.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1628 on: January 08, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »

My DH once used to work in such a company. The atmosphere became really bad and it was not nice for him to work there, despite being needed by the company and having a pile of FU money.

Just try to cruise to your FIRE date and prepare for your next hobbies/travels.

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1629 on: January 08, 2019, 11:25:41 AM »

Just make sure you've got an account with Ally or American Express where they are actually paying a bit of interest (~2% I believe).

I did buy a chunk of VOO last week that as of earlier today is up half a percent since then.

One of the reasons I ended up OMY'ing it (I was originally targeting last summer) was I have not really set up my portfolio to be in sustaining/withdrawal mode instead of saving mode.  I still haven't but it's on my list of to-dos!

LV

+1. I’ve got a small pile of cash in my bank account and itching to put it to work...... which it will later this year when it puts meals on the table.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1630 on: January 09, 2019, 03:21:44 AM »
Got you updated @Lews Therin

Pressure's on at work for me.  Yesterday the boss asked me to stay until 3/1.  I said no -- holding firm on a departure 1/31 . . . I have a feeling this isn't the last of the pressure to stay though.   

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1631 on: January 09, 2019, 05:26:57 AM »

Pressure's on at work for me.  Yesterday the boss asked me to stay until 3/1.  I said no -- holding firm on a departure 1/31 . . . I have a feeling this isn't the last of the pressure to stay though.

Is there a # you can give him for a retention bonus?  Asking for an extra five figures to stay for the additional month probably makes that conversation go away.  A friend worked for the FDIC towards the end of the financial crisis, they kept paying retention bonuses when someone would try to leave to buy extra time.

I don't know if you already have travel scheduled in February or not

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1632 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:58 AM »

Is there a # you can give him for a retention bonus?  Asking for an extra five figures to stay for the additional month probably makes that conversation go away.  A friend worked for the FDIC towards the end of the financial crisis, they kept paying retention bonuses when someone would try to leave to buy extra time.

No travel scheduled, and that is a good thought. Though it would have to be a very healthy $ number for me to consider that . . . I'm fairly desperate to be done.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1633 on: January 09, 2019, 06:10:31 AM »

Well done so far. And yes, increase/double your salary if you feel the need to stay longer. You will get less and less attractive that way.
I don't really understand that a company wants to keep a person who really wants to leave. You won't be a motivated employee.

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1634 on: January 09, 2019, 06:27:39 AM »

No travel scheduled, and that is a good thought. Though it would have to be a very healthy $ number for me to consider that . . . I'm fairly desperate to be done.
Or turn it round the other way and offer to stay 3 days a week for 100% of the salary and only in an advisory capacity.

I may be under some pressure myself to rejoin this cohort as I'm hearing rumours that my replacement just got another job...

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1635 on: January 09, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »

Or turn it round the other way and offer to stay 3 days a week for 100% of the salary and only in an advisory capacity.

Haha I LOVE that idea Phil — thanks!

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1636 on: January 09, 2019, 07:20:22 AM »
True story, to backup PhilB's suggestion.

I had "invented" a role at Company " Lazy H" some years before,and then was very quiet and very busy when they asked for volunteers to fill that role, as it was a horrible job.

Worker K: I'm leaving.

Manager: You can't leave! (Hiring process was minimum 6 month process, even absent a nearly constant hiring freeze).

Worker K: Double my salary.  ( I'd estimate this at 80-100K at the time)

Manager: I can't do that!!

Worker K: We're done then.

Side note: Worker K had been a distant colleague at Company " Lazy H" before  I left for SemiBigCorp.
Worker K eventually became my manager at SemiBigCorp.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1637 on: January 09, 2019, 12:04:55 PM »
The new guy two desks over (in an open office concept) is currently clipping his fingernails at his desk while on a call.  How is this a thing?  Is it fucking April yet? 

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1638 on: January 09, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »
Tonight, DH and I had a long talk about our FIRE house schedule which includes house sale. We thought a lot about the stress of selling it, quitting our jobs with 3 months mandatory notice and moving to another part of the country. It is too much stress to organize this. We have now decided to rent a house close by for the first half year, max 2 hours driving from our current place. This is a lot less stress than moving across country and we can move several loads of our stuff to the other house each day, so there is less pressure of selling the lot in a short time before the move.

I updated my unsold ads for the piano and my wedding dress with a lower price, in the hope to sell it before the house sales. We made a list of stuff that needs to be done before the sales. We have also decided that we don't need to stress too much. If we aren't ready for sale in May, we can do it later, even during the summer when very few houses are for sale.

DH wants to know exactly whether our planned age pensions show correctly on our website. There is a choice, to calculate how much you get if you stop working completely. DH thinks there is hardly any difference between retiring now or working for another twenty years. Therefore we book a meeting with the organization that pays out to explain it. I also need to wait for the individual pension meeting at my job, that might be hold in January. Because not getting a high enough pension after 67 would be a show stopper.
We will hire an estate broker if this meeting goes well.

We plan to have a before sales anti stress vacation somewhere in March. And use the Easter holidays to prepare for house sale. We will also take some extra days off in May to prepare for the sale.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:30:26 AM by Linda_Norway »

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1639 on: January 10, 2019, 03:58:52 AM »
That sounds like a good plan @Linda_Norway.  Selling one house is stressful enough, without having to buy another one at the same time -- been there, done that.  Plus added bonus --  because you'll be moving twice (once to the rental and then again to your permanent house) you'll probably get rid of even more belongings.  Nothing like a move to help you shed 'stuff'!   

Good luck with your retirement plan meetings.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1640 on: January 10, 2019, 04:34:59 AM »
I may be under some pressure myself to rejoin this cohort as I'm hearing rumours that my replacement just got another job...

Do you think you would go back to work @PhilB?  How do you like FIRE so far? 

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1641 on: January 10, 2019, 05:39:00 AM »
I want to hear your opinion.

DH is thinking of doing part of his current job after FIRE. Not as the leader of the department, but as a specialist, working only on occasional hours when there is a job in the region where we live. He could also do this in his own company that he would have to create. But he feels a bit like doing it for either his current boss or one of the competitors.

We also intend to first decompress for 1/2 to 1 year, before doing any of this.

Because of this, he wants to maintain a good relationship with his current company. If he would deliver his resignation before the summer vacation and quit at the end of September (3 months mandatory notice in Norway), his boss would not have time to hire a replacement. So he is considering to tell his boss quite soon that he needs to start looking for a replacement leader and that he (DH) wouldn't mind working under this replacement leader.
He would like to do this some months before delivering his notice. Either by telling his boss that he is up to taking a year sabbatical, or just because he doesn't want to be a leader anymore after a while.

Do you others think it is a good idea to tell your boss to look for a replacement, half a year before leaving the company?

I am a bit sceptic. Will they treat you equally well if they know you are going to leave? I think he shouldn't mention wanting to leave before he has too.

For my position it is the question. They value me a lot, but I'm pretty sure another person can learn to do the same thing. Only it will take time. I am currently also the expert on a new tool that we use. But I am already documenting a lot of the difficult functions, as the last person did who left. I could very well imagine working with this tool maybe one day a week in average, outside my planned trips. But DH thinks we should first decompress for half a year. Last spring he had a long sick leave and read his work email regularly. He said that 1 hour reading mail gave stress for the whole day. So he thinks being system administrator for a tool one day a week might cause a lot of stress. On the other hand, I think they might still need me most during the first year, and less later. Any thoughts about that?
We should in theory not really need the extra money, but I would like a bit of a safety net.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1642 on: January 10, 2019, 05:52:24 AM »
The decision on when to tell your employer is entirely based on company culture.  Fritz over at the Retirement Manifesto writes about his great relationship with his employer and giving six months notice and how well it worked out.

My company is the opposite.  We have sales goals and bonus pools.  As soon as someone shows they aren't "committed", the company knows their not likely going to try to hit sales goals and the manager wants those goals out of his target/bonus pool.  I have to be "employed at the company" through March 15th to get my restricted stock, in an ideal world I'd let them know earlier.  Instead, my notice date will be March 18th.  I might drop my letter requesting a leave of absence two weeks earlier because I've asked and was told no before without any real negative ramifications.

Your thoughts are completely normal for someone going through this situation.  It will be okay.  Breathe, trust your numbers, and know you are making the right decision.  The great thing about financial independence is options.  Those options can be overwealming and its okay to slow down.  Those of us who make it to FI are often go-getters that work hard.  That overactive mind can sometimes be a curse (it is to me!).

Good luck

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1643 on: January 10, 2019, 06:49:30 AM »

Your thoughts are completely normal for someone going through this situation.  It will be okay.  Breathe, trust your numbers, and know you are making the right decision.  The great thing about financial independence is options.  Those options can be overwhelming and its okay to slow down.  Those of us who make it to FI are often go-getters that work hard.  That overactive mind can sometimes be a curse (it is to me!).

Good luck

This ^^^. My mind is always in hyper efficiency mode and I am always making lists to not forget a single thing.
According to my FIL, I always walk as if I am in a hurry, even when I am not at work. I would never walk to another room in my house without looking around for what things I could take along on my way there. I cannot cook without updating the shopping list on my phone for groceries. I cannot visit the bathroom without noticing the washing machine is finished and perform the actions needed to handle that.

We will be FIREing on a lean amount. But we have discussed that we for example can do some occasional consultancy work if we want to spend money on something big (like expensive travel or a newer car).

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1644 on: January 10, 2019, 06:51:36 AM »

Do you think you would go back to work @PhilB?  How do you like FIRE so far?
I'm hugely enjoying FIRE thanks.  My 1 day a week job has been bleeding over a tiny bit, but not to the extent of being too annoying, and I feel 10 years younger without the stress or the sedentary lifestyle.  It was an interesting day yesterday, having the news land from nowhere that my replacement was off and thinking about my reaction to it - particularly in the context of how the markets have moved since I pulled the plug.  I stopped and thought about how much more they would have to pay me for me to go back and the answer turned out to be that there was really no conceivable level of pay that would make me go back.  If markets are down I'd much rather keep my freedom and just spend less if I have to.
I probably will end up working more hours as a result of this (for paid overtime) and I do feel for the people still there and want to help out, BUT I am simply not prepared to take on any of the stress that would come with actually owning the job, nor am I prepared to give up my insistence that I don't work at all in school holidays (the 2 weeks at Xmas were bliss!).  I expect my current gig to come to a natural end next October when the systems I support are replaced.  The one possible impact of my replacement quitting is that, if the system change gets deferred, they would now probably need me to continue at my current level of commitment and I don't really have a problem with that.

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1645 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:11 AM »
The decision on when to tell your employer is entirely based on company culture.  Fritz over at the Retirement Manifesto writes about his great relationship with his employer and giving six months notice and how well it worked out.

My company is the opposite.  We have sales goals and bonus pools.  As soon as someone shows they aren't "committed", the company knows their not likely going to try to hit sales goals and the manager wants those goals out of his target/bonus pool.  I have to be "employed at the company" through March 15th to get my restricted stock, in an ideal world I'd let them know earlier.  Instead, my notice date will be March 18th.  I might drop my letter requesting a leave of absence two weeks earlier because I've asked and was told no before without any real negative ramifications.

Your thoughts are completely normal for someone going through this situation.  It will be okay.  Breathe, trust your numbers, and know you are making the right decision.  The great thing about financial independence is options.  Those options can be overwealming and its okay to slow down.  Those of us who make it to FI are often go-getters that work hard.  That overactive mind can sometimes be a curse (it is to me!).

Good luck
It really does all come down to your particular situation vis a vis your employer.  I gave mine huge amounts of notice which was great for several reasons - it stopped them passing responsibilities to me when other people left, it gave everyone loads of time to make plans, and best of all it meant I got to largely opt out of all the corporate bullshit for my last year.  I was lucky though that bonuses weren't a big thing at my employer, so I didn't have to worry about there being much financial impact from my openness. YMMV.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1646 on: January 10, 2019, 07:48:49 PM »
I don't plan to give more than a month's notice myself.  I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but if I was to give several months notice, I would likely lose the quiet office time to myself and have to spend my days doing my job while training my replacement(s), making my last months potential hell, after having suffered many years in shared office space to finally get my own office about a year and a half ago, I don't want to return to that type of environment in my final months of full time employment.

My stash is back up to 26X, about 3.84% SWR, for semi-FAT FIRE, or about 74X barebones.  My interest in continuing to work at my job may keep me 10 more months, although my desire had been to work those 10 months part time anyway, but part time was never guaranteed.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:57:37 PM by DreamFIRE »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1647 on: January 10, 2019, 08:10:12 PM »
Move me up. Sept 1

Lews Therin

• Handlebar Stache
  • Used to be Canadian Ben
« Reply #1648 on: January 10, 2019, 08:12:14 PM »
You heard him, move him up to may 1st.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1649 on: January 11, 2019, 01:40:47 AM »
One of DH's employees has expressed the wish to become a group leader of the other city, as soon as they have hired some more people there. This is a person DH thinks has the ability to replace him. So it is good to hear that this person now has ambitions to become a manager. So DH's replcement might come very naturally now and maybe he won't need to tell his boss earlier than necessary.