Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 738205 times)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1650 on: May 13, 2018, 08:02:33 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen...I'm going to have to officially move my date out to March of 2019.  Depending on company stock performance (restricted that comes released) and annual bonus, working an additional nine months is worth between $250,000 and $300,000.  The combination of a good deferred comp plan plus splitting that amount of pay over two tax years means I get to keep most of it (yay!).

I just can't turn down a 10-15% increase in our net worth/SWR for something like 7 1/2 months worth of work once I factor in vacation time/holidays, ect.  Half the time I can Peter Gibbons it

Nice! That definitely sounds like it's worth it.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1651 on: May 13, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »

It always does.  That's how OMY gets to you.

I'm in the same boat.  We hit our number months ago, but I can find ten different reasons that all sound really good to justify why I should continue working.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1652 on: May 13, 2018, 04:08:06 PM »
@chasesfish, I thought you made that decision after ERN did your case study?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1653 on: May 13, 2018, 04:14:55 PM »
OMY????

Been there, done that, got the dollars.

Not convinced it was worth it.   That last 8 months was brutal.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1654 on: May 13, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »
Doing OMY now. Hating it. But money was only part of my reason for deciding to stay on.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1655 on: May 13, 2018, 06:10:46 PM »

I'm in the same boat.  We hit our number months ago, but I can find ten different reasons that all sound really good to justify why I should continue working.

Fair. It's a real struggle.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1656 on: May 14, 2018, 05:00:15 AM »
I have to admit that I probably would have done an extra 9 months for a quarter million dollars.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1657 on: May 14, 2018, 06:20:38 AM »
@chasesfish, I thought you made that decision after ERN did your case study?

For anyone wondering, here is the link 2birds1stone is referring to:

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2018/01/10/ask-big-ern-a-safe-withdrawal-rate-case-study-for-mr-and-mrs-shirts/

Yes, but I hadn't formally pulled myself off this thread yet.  Now we're coming up within a week of my original "give notice" date.   I've been trying to figure out how to engineer a layoff with no success.  I can also make the last nine months turn into six months if I were to pull FMLA for spousal care starting in early December.  There's a late February vesting date that constitutes most of the money, but that would probably tank the discretionary bonus portion.

I love reading all the responses:

@sol - Completely agree with you about this is how OMY works. I could even be pulled into the trap financially for a 2020 vesting before the economics drop significantly.  However, we don't particularly love where we live and are swearing up and down that this is our last summer in North Texas.  100 degrees by May 17th is absurd and we're outdoors people.  The other issue is two years ago I went from working for someone I'd go to war for (now the #3 guy in our Fortune 500 company) to someone who's nice but completely mediocre.  I don't deal with mediocre well, especially when I work for them.  The only option I see is if I can pull off a work remote job at a significantly lower set of responsibilities.  I've been exploring those, but need to do it harder since my pension is hitting its magic numbers.   I will desperately lobby for a "1 year sabbatical" to hang on to that last equity vesting (I'd probably still quit afterwards, just wouldn't be official).  I've been trying to get that for a while, but will put a formal request in late this year to force them to say yes/no.

@SwordGuy - Thank you, there are plenty of days I feel that way.   I'm reminded of the unknowns around potentially needing to provide some family some support, healthcare, and charity drive me.   I am hell-bent on doing nearly nothing income earning for my first eighteen months to recuperate from the grind of the last fifteen years.

@Monkey Uncle - It especially helps that I put away 40% off the top into a deferred comp plan that pays out over 15 years once I leave.   I get to keep most of that quarter million between doing that plus the stock/bonuses hit in Q1 of the following year so its nicely spread out over two tax years at these nice low rates.

@TartanTallulah - Some/most days I hate it, but there are a few nostalgic moments.  I'm intentionally meeting clients at higher end restaurants this year

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1658 on: May 14, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »
@Monkey Uncle - It especially helps that I put away 40% off the top into a deferred comp plan that pays out over 15 years once I leave.   I get to keep most of that quarter million between doing that plus the stock/bonuses hit in Q1 of the following year so its nicely spread out over two tax years at these nice low rates.

Personally, I am not comfortable with deferred comp paying out over 15 years although I wish that was my selection from a tax perspective - and my company is highly rated with no issues.  A lot can happen in 15 years - and the risk, even if very little, to have so much tied to one company (remember it is not guaranteed, if they go BK or don't have the cash flow to pay, it can be suspended or lost) I just couldn't bear it. 

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1659 on: May 14, 2018, 09:27:40 AM »

Yep.  We probably hit our number last year, so technically this year has been OMY.  But I can still find a bunch of reasons why another year makes sense. 

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #1660 on: May 14, 2018, 01:16:20 PM »
At least I have the problem whittled down to OMM, one more month. Not sure I will have all my paper work done tomorrow for June ACA.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1661 on: May 14, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »

Personally, I am not comfortable with deferred comp paying out over 15 years although I wish that was my selection from a tax perspective - and my company is highly rated with no issues.  A lot can happen in 15 years - and the risk, even if very little, to have so much tied to one company (remember it is not guaranteed, if they go BK or don't have the cash flow to pay, it can be suspended or lost) I just couldn't bear it.

I work for a highly regulated and overly conservative financial institution, as in criticized constantly about holding too much shareholder equity, not taking enough risk, low returns, ect.  We can't even hire more producers than people leaving because lenders want to work for an institution that actually makes loans. 

All that aside, the deferred comp's money is also invested in an offsetting asset account I have investment control over. The only precedent I can find for a banking institution was when WaMu failed the deferred comp money was still protected/paid out from Chase's acquisition through the FDIC.

It is a risk and if I loose it, it'll be a hit to my net worth but not crippling.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1662 on: May 15, 2018, 07:26:17 AM »
One month until my retirement ceremony and last day of work.  Then I spend 75 days on househunting/job hunting/terminal leave until my actual retirement date of 1 September.

Close on our new house in 2 weeks.  Movers show up the week after my ceremony.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1663 on: May 16, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »

Yep.  We probably hit our number last year, so technically this year has been OMY.  But I can still find a bunch of reasons why another year makes sense.

All I can say is +1
:-/

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1664 on: May 16, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »

All I can say is +1
:-/
So that Gold Bond Medicated Powder has cured your foot condition, lol?

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #1665 on: May 19, 2018, 02:43:57 AM »
SwissMister is all geared to FIRE on 4 June. He has a six month notice period but he is most likely to be sent home for that period (garden leave). Soooooo excited!!!!!

I will follow him into FIRE in September. Everybody at my workplace knows and they're all very nice about it. So many times I hear the words "I envy you".

We both just turned 50 last month. Not really early, but still early enough to surprise people.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1666 on: May 19, 2018, 07:53:56 PM »
My kind offer to work part-time until the replacement comes in will be officially done by the end of June.

Looks like I'll be working 7 days in June.   Didn't have to work any in May so far.

Feels good!

Who knows, maybe they'll even give me a good bye lunch this time.   Or maybe not.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1667 on: May 22, 2018, 02:54:49 PM »
Random Tuesday with a handful of weeks left to work. Lately, I have felt a spreading joy that is not dimmed by cubicles or florescent lights.  I have Sigur Ros album "Takk" playing and it feels right on.

I think quitting in about 5 weeks may have revived my enjoyment of work. Ironic.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1668 on: May 22, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
Random Tuesday with a handful of weeks left to work. Lately, I have felt a spreading joy that is not dimmed by cubicles or florescent lights.  I have Sigur Ros album "Takk" playing and it feels right on.

I think quitting in about 5 weeks may have revived my enjoyment of work. Ironic.

I'm having the exact opposite reaction now that I've given notice.  I hate that place.  I hate the whole idea of voluntary servitude.  I'm astonished at the level of bullshit I have previously swallowed without even recognizing it, like a fish who can't see water.

I've become a terrible employee.  I struggle to keep my misery at cubicle life hidden from my co-workers.  I have contempt for people and behaviors I used to accept as normal.

Mostly, and this is the recurring thought I just can't seem to get rid of, being at work now makes me think "how did I ever care so much?" 

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1669 on: May 22, 2018, 05:32:02 PM »

I'm having the exact opposite reaction now that I've given notice.  I hate that place.  I hate the whole idea of voluntary servitude.  I'm astonished at the level of bullshit I have previously swallowed without even recognizing it, like a fish who can't see water.

I've become a terrible employee.  I struggle to keep my misery at cubicle life hidden from my co-workers.  I have contempt for people and behaviors I used to accept as normal.

Mostly, and this is the recurring thought I just can't seem to get rid of, being at work now makes me think "how did I ever care so much?"

Sol, this pretty much sums up my past 9 months - with a little bit of "I hope I don't die before I get out of here" thrown in.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1670 on: May 22, 2018, 06:07:45 PM »
I feel for you cubicle workers.  I've had to share offices in the past usually with one other person, and I think working in a cubicle in a larger office area would have been worse, but I have had my own office for a while now.  That's made it much better in these final years leading to FIRE.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #1671 on: May 23, 2018, 12:45:52 AM »
My countdown clock is getting closer and it's all looking on track (touch wood).

I'm completing the handover to my replacement and feel pretty good about their ability to get things done after I've gone. Work is getting pretty slow, with just 1 or 2 little projects to complete but nothing too onerous at all. And Megacorp HR processes are now in full swing. The house movers did the survey yesterday and we've booked the date we wanted to pack the house. Megacorp approved having the container sent to where we want it  - to our base in USA  - rather than back to the official base country.

Air tickets are imminent, and my chosen route was also approved, so we get a 1 week stopover on the way, which means we can spend some time with family and use up some remaining leave.

Also got the official letter confirming I'll be made redundant with the nice 'free' OMY severance package. I'll be back on base payroll as an employee for just 1 day, and will only have to come into the office to sign paperwork. The statutory 3 months notice in base country will be paid out in lieu. Yet megacorp policy for returning expats still applies, which means we get provided a month's free accommodation and hire car, plus about $200 a day for misc expenses. So a nice paid vacation to boot!

Megacorp are being super nice on the whole, as it's all covered by pretty rigid procedures and they feel a bit responsible for kicking me out 'involuntarily'. There are a few details to be worked out, and you need to do your research so you know your way around the policies and what to ask for, but not surprisingly I'm feeling good about the company. After 28 years of great work in various locations overseas as an expat for Megacorp, I have no complaints. It's thanks to them that I've been able to 'stache enough to FIRE comfortably while living a pretty nice life and travelling the world.

Megacorp have even asked me if I could please come back to do a week's consultancy in November. I can't say no [the retirement police can go screw themselves, as that deal will entail business class flights to a lovely location, 4 star hotel & expenses, plus about $10k]. This will helpfully force me to set up the framework of a little consultancy business, and thus enable the opportunity to pick up occasional short term work (that I enjoy) every once in a while next year, maybe 4 weeks a year, with all the small business tax optimisation benefits that brings with it.

As a result, I'll be moving my FIRE date up to 17th July @54 years old. 55 days to go. Still hard to believe this is actually happening. I keep having to pinch myself.

I think I must have been a very good boy in a previous life.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1672 on: May 23, 2018, 09:37:34 AM »

So, you're weren't a very good boy in this life? 

That's handy, it means you'll know how to have a lot of fun in all your spare time!  ;)

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1673 on: May 23, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »
I'm archiving emails as we speak...I only have 20 more hours of my life to spend in this chair, looking at these two monitors and moving pixels around.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #1674 on: May 23, 2018, 12:46:01 PM »
Swordguy,

I did not get my prep work done in May, so I am delaying until June 22, 2018. I feel the regret already, so this feels pretty firm.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #1675 on: May 23, 2018, 01:51:05 PM »
I'm archiving emails as we speak...I only have 20 more hours of my life to spend in this chair, looking at these two monitors and moving pixels around.

Insane! How exciting. :-)

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #1676 on: May 23, 2018, 03:59:20 PM »

So, you're weren't a very good boy in this life? 

Yes,  but not THAT good.

When I see how so many people are in very different circumstances and probably no less deserving I feel pretty privileged. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1677 on: May 23, 2018, 11:20:57 PM »
Yesterday, the 22nd, the office had a retirement BBQ for me.

I almost didn't show up, as I don't have work email ( company flip phone, didn't take laptop home).
That phone has been ignored for the few weeks I've been on vacation, so I also missed the voicemail message.

One(1) more office day left.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1678 on: May 24, 2018, 07:03:33 AM »
Yesterday, the 22nd, the office had a retirement BBQ for me.

I almost didn't show up, as I don't have work email ( company flip phone, didn't take laptop home).
That phone has been ignored for the few weeks I've been on vacation, so I also missed the voicemail message.

One(1) more office day left.
Way to disengage! Congratulations!

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #1679 on: May 24, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
Confirming that tomorrow is my last day!

Co-workers have been consistently taking me to lunch for the past 4 weeks, and yesterday my department paid for a huge lunch for 20 of us, and gave me a $400 Amazon gift card on top of that! I was really surprised considering how often management complains about having no money.

One more celebration tomorrow night, then on Saturday I will start hitting the gym to work off all the excess.

Luckily I will only be retiring once in my lifetime (I hope!) and so all these celebrations are justified.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1680 on: May 24, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
Attempted to catch this up.

01/01/18  CowboyAndIndian (at 59) CONFIRMED
01/04/18  Gimesalot (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/06/18  Monkey Uncle (at 49) CONFIRMED
01/26/18  PizzaSteve (at 53) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  patches (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  Wintergreen78 CONFIRMED
01/31/18  MomCPA  CONFIRMED
02/01/18  DTaggart (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/05/18  Mrbeardedbigbucks CONFIRMED
02/09/18  JLTinVA (at 42) CONFIRMED
02/14/18  Gimesalot DH (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/28/18  Caoineag (at 36) CONFIRMED
03/01/18  Clean Shaven (at 45) CONFIRMED Part Time
03/02/18  brooklynguy (at 37) CONFIRMED
03/07/18  Aegishjalmur (at 35) CONFIRMED
03/16/18  Cherry Lane (at 43) CONFIRMED
03/27/18  Mrs. Honeyfill CONFIRMED
03/28/18  Target2018 CONFIRMED
03/28/18  homestead neohio (at 39) CONFIRMED
03/30/18  Moxie (at 58) CONFIRMED
03/31/18  msilenus (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/03/18  lostformars (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/04/18  OzBeach (at 54) CONFIRMED
04/25/18  Modernaimend DH (at 39) CONFIRMED
04/25/18  ZiziPB (at 50) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  NinetyFour (at 56) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  SwordGuy (at 60) PART TIME. (Just 1-2 months.)
04/27/18  poppydog and DW CONFIRMED
04/27/18  andkar CONFIRMED
04/??/18  PKate and DH
04/??/18  Calvin
04/??/18  HappyMargo
04/??/18  Mother Fussbudget
05/01/18  wordnerd and DH (at 30 and 36) CONFIRMED
05/03/18  Modernaimend (at 35) CONFIRMED
05/08/18  SwordGuy DW (SwordGuy isn't saying.   He wants to live.) CONFIRMED
05/11/18  Desert
05/24/18  Markbike528CBX (at 53.5) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  CheapskateWife (at 42) and CheapskateHubs (at 49) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  Gyosho (at 55) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  CodeZed
05/??/18  Alim Nassor
06/01/18  step_away
06/04/18  SwissMister
06/03/18  moneytaichi
06/15/18  DavisGang90 (at 49)
06/22/18  Acastus
06/22/18  FernFree
06/25/18  MaybeBabyMustache (at 42)
06/28/18  CHF (at 51)
06/29/18  aperture
06/??/18  Agent Rosenflower
06/??/18  dbtx
06/??/18  Omalley
06/??/18  randomgiraffe
06/??/18  SwissMiss
06/??/18  HenryDavid
07/06/18  Honeyfill  (at 60)  OMM
07/??/18  AussieGirl
07/??/18  Mr Griz
07/??/18  BackAndForth
07/??/18  cerat0n1a
07/??/18  Fresh Bread
07/??/18  SnidelyWhiplashStache
08/01/18  SugarMountain
08/24/18  sol (at 41)
08/31/18  JerseyGrrrl
08/??/18  Mr Mark
08/??/18  NorCalistache
08/??/18  Mogadishu
08/07/18  RunningWithScissors
09/01/18  Vegasgirl (at 49)
09/21/18  Ottawa
09/25/18  MaybeBabyMustache
09/30/18  SwissMiss
10/05/18  JumboShrimp
10/25/18  PhilB (at 52)
10/??/18  Fire1018
10/??/18  Happy
10/??/18  Irishtache
11/??/18  DeSteeg
11/??/18  Kris
12/21/18  LateStarter
12/31/18  DavidAnnArbor (at 53) (Won't renew my office lease)
12/??/18  EnjoyIt
12/??/18  yoda34
??/??/18  Blindsquirrel
??/??/18  FLStache
??/??/18  Michread
??/??/18  Minnesota_mom
??/??/18  MiserlyMiser
??/??/18  pecunia
??/??/18  Badblackgirl
??/??/18  Sofa King
03/??/19  ChasesFish  OMY
??/??/19  RetireAbroadAt35  05/??/18, now OMY.
??/??/20  Gooki   2MY or 3MY

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:51:01 PM by SwordGuy »

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #1681 on: May 25, 2018, 02:08:38 PM »
Confirmed!  We are at home, getting ready to have a celebratory dinner with our friends.  WE'RE FIRED!!!!!!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1682 on: May 25, 2018, 04:51:52 PM »
Congratulations. Its so exciting to read of all these FIRE's.

My date continues to be uncertain. I've been approved for 6 months LSL starting October and I was hoping to return to work for a few months only after the in order to take me into the next financial year which in Australia is from 1st July in order to minimise tax. Due to delays at work  I might have to delay the start of my LSL maybe a month or so. The second parameter influencing my complete FIRE date is the real estate project I've taken on - we've made a lot of progress since we started, but there is still a long way to go, with a lot of unknowns.  The plan was to be finished by the time I finish up at work and that's still very possible, but hard to predict with any certainty. I might go introduce myself to the 2019 folks.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1683 on: May 25, 2018, 06:18:46 PM »
Confirmed!  We are at home, getting ready to have a celebratory dinner with our friends.  WE'RE FIRED!!!!!!

Congratulations, Cheapskates!

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #1684 on: May 26, 2018, 12:14:37 PM »

Congratulations, Cheapskates!

Woo hoo!!!  Can’t wait to celebrate with you at CM*TO!!

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #1685 on: May 28, 2018, 11:31:49 AM »
I love to hear about everyone celebrating retirement!  I have to admit , I am getting the last minute jitters and seeing everyone hitting their dates and celebrating is helping me stick to my guns to fire this year. 
That being said, I am in serious OMM (One More Month)syndrome. I am delaying my retirement from June 1 to July 6. But I think I have a good excuse. This gives me one  business trip to San Jose, which I will combine with a couple of days off to visit my sister in Palo Alto.  I also get a couple days to attend my FIL's Memorial Service in Chicago, Followed by 4 days off to attend  a wedding in Seattle.  So counting July 4th and some sick days I'm only working 12 extra days in June/July. That means only 16 works days left!! 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1686 on: May 28, 2018, 11:36:36 AM »
I love to hear about everyone celebrating retirement!  I have to admit , I am getting the last minute jitters and seeing everyone hitting their dates and celebrating is helping me stick to my guns to fire this year. 
That being said, I am in serious OMM (One More Month)syndrome. I am delaying my retirement from June 1 to July 6. But I think I have a good excuse. This gives me one  business trip to San Jose, which I will combine with a couple of days off to visit my sister in Palo Alto.  I also get a couple days to attend my FIL's Memorial Service in Chicago, Followed by 4 days off to attend  a wedding in Seattle.  So counting July 4th and some sick days I'm only working 12 extra days in June/July. That means only 16 works days left!!
Sounds like a good return on your "investment". Besides, it's a good way to celebrate Independence Day. Plus, you'll never forget when you retired, which is a very real threat, #askmehowiknow.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1687 on: May 30, 2018, 09:26:12 PM »

My last few weeks of work were similar for me. I think I had a big smile on my face the whole time. I had a chance to say goodbye to many people and have long conversations in a bunch of different cubicles. I'm not sure if I'd call that "enjoyment of work" as I wasn't doing much work, but it was enjoyable.

I'm glad your plan is coming to fruition. We will celebrate at Moab.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1688 on: May 30, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »
Turned in my badges and keys yesterday.  Just submitted my last timecard.   

I have a few days I'll visit next month to do a proper hand-over to my replacement.  Company has already paid me for the time.

My health is recovering and I'm looking forward to a fun and productive June.

I've got one Jane Austen costume ball already scheduled in June with my lovely bride.   We intend to go dancing at least twice a month once she gets over what I had.  I'll go  four times a month if they're dancing each week.   Way too much fun!

Good news, by the way.  We sold our old home so we have no need to pull from stocks if they go down bigtime (other than the required minimum distributions (RMD)).

Even better news, we found a motivated buyer for our flip house.  They are willing to buy it as is.   They're working with contractors so they can have bids to arrange a 203K loan to purchase it with.   They are hoping they don't have to include a contingency clause about selling their own home first.  (We're hoping that, too.)   So, if this works out we'll get all the karmic goodness for saving the house without having to do much work to fix it up.   That's a plan I like!

I need to fix up my bicycle and start taking short trips on it to build up my muscle and lung strength.  Right now, both are pretty poor after being sick for the last month and a goodly chunk of the winter.   At least now I have the time!

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1689 on: May 30, 2018, 10:59:59 PM »
For all those who have finally resigned this year congratulations and good luck in your new life :)

To give my own update:
I am still looking to semi-retire down to 6-8 days a month at the end of 2018. The goal isn't to work for money but to transition to a role I really love and enjoy doing although I will get paid for it. I have yet to pick an official date because some big changes are about to come our way and my people will need me to help them through.  I almost pulled the plug earlier this year due to utter frustration and lack of reason from my supervisor but decided to suck it up for the people I am responsible for.  In the beginning dealing with him has been a soul sucking experience. Every phone call or face to face conversation would bring me to shear anger. It has taken me many months of stress and contemplation to learn how to ignore much of the BS that comes from him.  He is still soul sucking, but now it is more tolerable.  Imagine that before his arrival a year ago I actually liked my job.

When I give my notice it is customary to stay around until a replacement can be found and trained. Unbeknownst to them, I have been training my replacement all year long so the transition should go pretty smoothly.  Hopefully I can relinquish my role by the end of the year, but realize it may take as long as March or April of 2019.

I wish everyone else who is yet to hand in their notice good luck and I hope everything goes smoothly and as planned.

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #1690 on: May 31, 2018, 04:46:39 AM »
Wow Congrats on everything Swordguy!!   I'm in the same boat as Aperture & Daisy now.  I came back to work this past Tuesday after being off for 12 days and for the first time I can remember I wasn't sick the night before about returning to work after the time off.  I'm in my final push to the end now and am pretty darn happy about it.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1691 on: May 31, 2018, 05:35:01 AM »
Swordguy and Vegasgirl:   
My last day is Friday (June 1st), after being on vacation for most of May except for 1 day (company physical exam, retirement BBQ and BS'ing around the office).    Looking forward to retrieving my 40" 4K monitor for use at home, although I don't yet have a computer that can drive it 4K yet :-(  as well as turning in the company phone (my only cell phone for 15 years).   I have now have a personal iphone3gs, so I've upgraded to the 21st century at least.

Update: June 1st, unloaded laptop keys, said goodby to colleagues,  had my first lunchtime beer of my working career ( I don't normally eat lunch), left and felt good about it.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 05:49:23 PM by markbike528CBX »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #1692 on: June 02, 2018, 02:50:05 PM »
We closed on our retirement home yesterday.

Retirement is less than 2 weeks away!

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #1693 on: June 04, 2018, 04:46:34 AM »
Congrats davisgang90!!!!!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1694 on: June 05, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »
Congrats SwordGuy, davisgang90, markbike528CBX!!! I am right there with you Vegasgirl - 19 work days left (counting today).  I am riding my bike to work as much as possible and plan to ride home from work midday on Friday 6/29 after turning in my keys, badge, phone, laptop and fob.

Thanks for the support Daisy - I am really looking forward to Moab in October and catching up with all the forum peeps.  Best wishes to you all - aperture.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #1695 on: June 06, 2018, 03:24:56 PM »
Gah - plans have changed.  Instead of leaving at the end of August (early August with all my banked holidays), I've agreed to leave at the end of December.  Due to stupidity in government hiring processes, we can't fill the 3 of 4 current vacancies until September.  If I left, there would literally be no one left in the department.

Not my problem, I know.  However, the friend who got me the position, literally by telling HR I was the only one she would hire out of a pool of strong candidates, is now the manager of the team.  I don't want to leave her in the lurch, so a few more months isn't a hardship.  Hubby and I will be taking our planned trip to Europe in October, so the only real hassle for me is having fewer days off to get the house packed up, and move to our new home in another province.

At least I'm still in the 2018 cohort! No OMY syndrome for me!

honeyfill

• Bristles
« Reply #1696 on: June 07, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
I've finally kicked the One More Month Syndrome.  I'm all set for July 6.  final paper work is in and I 'm counting the days.
29 calendar days and only 8 work days!

CodeZed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1697 on: June 08, 2018, 12:36:30 PM »
I am now CONFIRMED as of June 1. Very happy to be done with the office, the commute, and the 40-hour work week. For this summer, I will be working from home on my own terms, only on the projects I want, when I want. I will probably keep this status as long as it works for me.

For statistical purposes, I am age 40, and worked in engineering. I found MMM sometime around 2012 and have been a devout follower of the blog and forums and semi-devout at implementing a frugal lifestyle.

Congrats to others in the 2018 FIRE cohort! I have enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences and thoughts as we approach a big turning point. Cheers!

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1698 on: June 10, 2018, 08:15:03 AM »
For statistical purposes, I am age 40, and worked in engineering. I found MMM sometime around 2012 and have been a devout follower of the blog and forums and semi-devout at implementing a frugal lifestyle.

Congratulations CodeZed.  I love that you have been around since 2012, and your #2 all time post is to confirm you are FIRE'd.  Very efficient CodeZed.  I look forward to hearing more of your story.  Could there be a post #3 in your future? 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1699 on: June 10, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »

01/01/18  CowboyAndIndian (at 59) CONFIRMED
01/04/18  Gimesalot (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/06/18  Monkey Uncle (at 49) CONFIRMED
01/26/18  PizzaSteve (at 53) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  patches (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  Wintergreen78 CONFIRMED
01/31/18  MomCPA  CONFIRMED
02/01/18  DTaggart (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/05/18  Mrbeardedbigbucks CONFIRMED
02/09/18  JLTinVA (at 42) CONFIRMED
02/14/18  Gimesalot DH (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/28/18  Caoineag (at 36) CONFIRMED
03/01/18  Clean Shaven (at 45) CONFIRMED Part Time
03/02/18  brooklynguy (at 37) CONFIRMED
03/07/18  Aegishjalmur (at 35) CONFIRMED
03/16/18  Cherry Lane (at 43) CONFIRMED
03/27/18  Mrs. Honeyfill CONFIRMED
03/28/18  Target2018 CONFIRMED
03/28/18  homestead neohio (at 39) CONFIRMED
03/30/18  Moxie (at 58) CONFIRMED
03/31/18  msilenus (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/03/18  lostformars (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/04/18  OzBeach (at 54) CONFIRMED
04/25/18  Modernaimend DH (at 39) CONFIRMED
04/25/18  ZiziPB (at 50) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  NinetyFour (at 56) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  SwordGuy (at 60) PART TIME. (Just 1-2 months.)
04/27/18  poppydog and DW CONFIRMED
04/27/18  andkar CONFIRMED
04/??/18  PKate and DH
04/??/18  Calvin
04/??/18  HappyMargo
04/??/18  Mother Fussbudget
05/01/18  wordnerd and DH (at 30 and 36) CONFIRMED
05/03/18  Modernaimend (at 35) CONFIRMED
05/08/18  SwordGuy DW (SwordGuy isn't saying.   He wants to live.) CONFIRMED
05/11/18  Desert
05/24/18  Markbike528CBX (at 53.5) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  CheapskateWife (at 42) and CheapskateHubs (at 49) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  Gyosho (at 55) CONFIRMED
05/??/18  Alim Nassor
06/01/18  step_away
06/01/18  CodeZed (at 40) CONFIRMED
06/04/18  SwissMister
06/03/18  moneytaichi
06/15/18  DavisGang90 (at 49)
06/22/18  Acastus
06/22/18  FernFree
06/25/18  MaybeBabyMustache (at 42)
06/28/18  CHF (at 51)
06/29/18  aperture
06/??/18  Agent Rosenflower
06/??/18  dbtx
06/??/18  Omalley
06/??/18  randomgiraffe
06/??/18  SwissMiss
06/??/18  HenryDavid
07/06/18  Honeyfill  (at 60) 
07/??/18  AussieGirl
07/??/18  Mr Griz
07/??/18  BackAndForth
07/??/18  cerat0n1a
07/??/18  Fresh Bread
07/??/18  SnidelyWhiplashStache
08/01/18  SugarMountain
08/24/18  sol (at 41)
08/31/18  JerseyGrrrl
08/??/18  Mr Mark
08/??/18  NorCalistache
08/??/18  Mogadishu
09/01/18  Vegasgirl (at 49)
09/21/18  Ottawa
09/25/18  MaybeBabyMustache
09/30/18  SwissMiss
10/05/18  JumboShrimp
10/25/18  PhilB (at 52)
10/??/18  Fire1018
10/??/18  Happy
10/??/18  Irishtache
11/??/18  DeSteeg
11/??/18  Kris
12/21/18  LateStarter
12/31/18  DavidAnnArbor (at 53) (Won't renew my office lease)
12/??/18  EnjoyIt  Parttime.
12/??/18  yoda34
12/??/18  RunningWithScissors
??/??/18  Blindsquirrel
??/??/18  FLStache
??/??/18  Michread
??/??/18  Minnesota_mom
??/??/18  MiserlyMiser
??/??/18  pecunia
??/??/18  Badblackgirl
??/??/18  Sofa King
03/??/19  ChasesFish  OMY
??/??/19  RetireAbroadAt35  05/??/18, now OMY.
??/??/20  Gooki   2MY or 3MY

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!