Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 738125 times)

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
Caoineag and chassesfish,
I have set my own date exactly for that: avoiding another round of performance reviews.  I love the coaching part of being a people manager, but the heavy processes was really big drain on me.  I don't mind delivering the message that someone performed poorly, but I just can't deal with reading 50+ reviews in search of something that is not immediately obvious when discussing my findings with my peers for 10+ hours.  I never liked that part of my job.

That's awesome!!   I really can't avoid them at all, 25-35% of my pay hits a month after reviews are due.

You know the only thing worse than writing the performance reviews?  Its when poor to mediocre performing employees want to "discuss their career" with you.   More than half of my employees and indirect reports are in jobs that include sales goals.  WTF is there to discuss with an employee not showing the effort to meet their current goals?  I'm more than happy to spend all the time I have with high performing and/or high potential people, but I won't miss the part of management where I have to hold in the "Do your f@#$ing job first" response.

For you and your goals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtrLKGZZFg

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »
Suddenly, this thread sucks a whole lot more.

Sol - I am feeling about the same.  Sometime in the next 12 months, this thread is going to get a whole lot better though.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »
Suddenly, this thread sucks a whole lot more.

Sol - I am feeling about the same.  Sometime in the next 12 months, this thread is going to get a whole lot better though.

So true, the light at the end of my tunnel is a year away....

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: July 18, 2017, 06:08:32 AM »
In the Class of 2017 thread some of us were discussing a strange kind of sadness as we prepared to leave our jobs. homestead neohio had this comment, that I liked very much:

I'm looking forward to the sadness and nostalgia and feeling all the feels of this life milestone.  It just means we're complicated humans who are alive.  Right now I'm treasuring the security of the paycheck while it lasts and the richness of the anticipation I'm feeling.

Perhaps a year is a long time to dwell in anticipation, but still not a bad thing to keep in mind as you get closer and closer.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #404 on: July 18, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
Posting to lurk.  Perhaps to every join this cohort on short notice.

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #405 on: July 26, 2017, 03:10:10 AM »
MMM fan from Scotland UK here.  Mrs PD and I have reached FI a couple of years ago, but she wanted to carry on so we delayed retiring until June 2018.  On one huge weekend we will both retire, it will be our 10th wedding anniversary, and it will be a "significant" birthday for her!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: July 26, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
Welcome poppydog. Added to June ...

01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Retire-Canada - downshifted 07/2017
 01/18  WannaGoOutside OLY, Moved to 2017 cohort
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 01/18  PizzaSteve Left the forum.
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  MandyM - Class of 2017
~04/18  Mother Fussbudget
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
~07/18  SnidelyWhiplashStache
 08/18  SpreadsheetMan DW - OMY, moved to 2019 cohort.
 08/18  NorCalistache
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:46:39 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #407 on: July 26, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
MMM fan from Scotland UK here.  Mrs PD and I have reached FI a couple of years ago, but she wanted to carry on so we delayed retiring until June 2018.  On one huge weekend we will both retire, it will be our 10th wedding anniversary, and it will be a "significant" birthday for her!

Welcome poppydog.  I am also in the June 2018 cohort - looking forward to more of a quiet weekend after putting away my money firehose.  -ap.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #408 on: July 26, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »
Well, I might be "graduating" sooner than planned.   

I work at a government facility.  Contract is up "real soon now".   It's supposed to be put up for bid again.  This would be all routine but it takes at least 2 weeks longer to make a new contract happen than the old contract has time left in it.

Now, the way these contracts work is that the private company that wins the contract pretty much hires the people who have been doing the work and collects the money for them.   They don't know their employees and pretty much don't care to.  We might see them once a year at lunch for an hour.  Maybe twice a year for an hour when a contract is up for renewal.   We're just cogs in the great government tit milking machine to them.

(We, the employees, actually try to do good work for our client, the government.   That varies, of course, from one group of employees to another, but we've got a hard-working, honest and competent crew.   We actually care whether we get the job done.  But I digress.)

So, pretty much no employee in this situation has any expectation of loyalty from their employer.   We can't trust that we would be told ahead of time that there will be a multi-week gap in pay.   That's because it might cause people to put in job applications and get hired elsewhere, which would mean that the company wouldn't collect all possible billable hours.

So, knowing that one of my fellow employees was worried about it, I asked one of the govt people about when the contract was going to be put out for bid, because I was kind of interested in knowing whether I would have a paycheck in a month and a half (or not).

They said the contract request for bid had been released and there might be a 2 week gap between the old contract expiring and the new one starting up.   Didn't say anything more substantive about it.  If they weren't supposed to say that much, it's on them.  They are supposed to know the rules, we're just schmucks that want to know if we'll have a paycheck or not.

I mention it to my colleague.

He fires off an email 2 layers up our management chain. 

Upper management run around like a bull in the china shop and piss off some other government people, who will no doubt piss on other govt people down the food chain.

My manager is now pissed at me.   

My feeling is that if they hadn't all acted like keystone cops they wouldn't be in this position.  It's their fault and they should own it.

All they had to do was double-check to see if the request for bid had gone out yet.  "Oh, it has?  I didn't receive my copy.  Can you re-send it?"  Or, "Oh, it hasn't?  Not a problem.  Just wanted to make sure, we want to give it our full attention and do the best job for you."

Local manager asked me again when I was planning to retire.

Frankly, I could use an extra 2 weeks of vacation, paid or not.   

Looks like I might have to go for an extra 9 months and 2 weeks if they are that pissed.

Jeesh.

I get tired of this shit.   

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #409 on: July 26, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »
Well, I might be "graduating" sooner than planned.   

I work at a government facility.  Contract is up "real soon now".   It's supposed to be put up for bid again.  This would be all routine but it takes at least 2 weeks longer to make a new contract happen than the old contract has time left in it.

Now, the way these contracts work is that the private company that wins the contract pretty much hires the people who have been doing the work and collects the money for them.   They don't know their employees and pretty much don't care to.  We might see them once a year at lunch for an hour.  Maybe twice a year for an hour when a contract is up for renewal.   We're just cogs in the great government tit milking machine to them.

(We, the employees, actually try to do good work for our client, the government.   That varies, of course, from one group of employees to another, but we've got a hard-working, honest and competent crew.   We actually care whether we get the job done.  But I digress.)

So, pretty much no employee in this situation has any expectation of loyalty from their employer.   We can't trust that we would be told ahead of time that there will be a multi-week gap in pay.   That's because it might cause people to put in job applications and get hired elsewhere, which would mean that the company wouldn't collect all possible billable hours.

So, knowing that one of my fellow employees was worried about it, I asked one of the govt people about when the contract was going to be put out for bid, because I was kind of interested in knowing whether I would have a paycheck in a month and a half (or not).

They said the contract request for bid had been released and there might be a 2 week gap between the old contract expiring and the new one starting up.   Didn't say anything more substantive about it.  If they weren't supposed to say that much, it's on them.  They are supposed to know the rules, we're just schmucks that want to know if we'll have a paycheck or not.

I mention it to my colleague.

He fires off an email 2 layers up our management chain. 

Upper management run around like a bull in the china shop and piss off some other government people, who will no doubt piss on other govt people down the food chain.

My manager is now pissed at me.   

My feeling is that if they hadn't all acted like keystone cops they wouldn't be in this position.  It's their fault and they should own it.

All they had to do was double-check to see if the request for bid had gone out yet.  "Oh, it has?  I didn't receive my copy.  Can you re-send it?"  Or, "Oh, it hasn't?  Not a problem.  Just wanted to make sure, we want to give it our full attention and do the best job for you."

Local manager asked me again when I was planning to retire.

Frankly, I could use an extra 2 weeks of vacation, paid or not.   

Looks like I might have to go for an extra 9 months and 2 weeks if they are that pissed.

Jeesh.

I get tired of this shit.

See my sig. ;)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #410 on: July 27, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
So, last night I got an ass chewing over the phone at home.

Today I got a verbal ass chewing at work.  I'm told to expect a written one via email.

Whoop-de-doo.

So, my manager looks at me, after explaining how I had done stuff wrong, and added, "It caused all kinds of problems when big boss dealt with the contracting officer over this."

I looked him in the eye and replied, "Well, maybe that's a sign he should not have done that."

Things got silent for a bit.

FU money is a wonderful thing.

Less than 9 1/2 months if I stay on our current FIRE schedule.   Less if the daily-crap-to-dollar ratio gets too high.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #411 on: July 27, 2017, 07:53:15 PM »
So, last night I got an ass chewing over the phone at home.

Today I got a verbal ass chewing at work.  I'm told to expect a written one via email.

Whoop-de-doo.

So, my manager looks at me, after explaining how I had done stuff wrong, and added, "It caused all kinds of problems when big boss dealt with the contracting officer over this."

I looked him in the eye and replied, "Well, maybe that's a sign he should not have done that."

Things got silent for a bit.

FU money is a wonderful thing.

Less than 9 1/2 months if I stay on our current FIRE schedule.   Less if the daily-crap-to-dollar ratio gets too high.

Oh, yeah, not a mention that they gave the slightest tinker's damn that their employees might not get paycheck or more.   As expected.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: July 28, 2017, 04:38:07 AM »
The govt person you posed the question to probably got his ass chewed for sharing information he wasn't supposed to share, and he threw you under the bus out of spite.  That's why you're getting your ass chewed, instead of the guy who fired off the e-mail to upper management.  Govt person probably told your management that the contract was in danger because of your loose lips, and he/she told them to "do something" about you.  Your management doesn't really care about who's at fault, they just want the pain to stop, and beating you about the head and shoulders is the easiest way to make that happen.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: July 28, 2017, 04:47:58 AM »
The govt person you posed the question to probably got his ass chewed for sharing information he wasn't supposed to share, and he threw you under the bus out of spite.  That's why you're getting your ass chewed, instead of the guy who fired off the e-mail to upper management.  Govt person probably told your management that the contract was in danger because of your loose lips, and he/she told them to "do something" about you.  Your management doesn't really care about who's at fault, they just want the pain to stop, and beating you about the head and shoulders is the easiest way to make that happen.

He's a good guy, I don't see that happening. Not his nature.

No one was upset until upper management stomped around like a bull in a china shop.  They should know better.   All the other management at other consulting companies I've worked for certainly has.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2017, 07:56:14 AM »
Met with my boss and other supervisors on my team yesterday and started planning the year ahead.  I took on some new responsibilities that could make it a bit harder for them when I leave next July.  I felt guilty, but not to the point that I am doing anything to change my plans.  (Our hiring cycle can be up to 12 months depending on the time of year someone leaves and how quickly the organization decides to replace them.  I am taking on the extra responsibilities now as a ripple effect of someone that retired in December, 2016 that has not yet been replaced.)  I really like my co-workers and do not want to screw them, but there is almost no way that my departure is not going to saddle them with extra work for 3 to 12 months. 

I think I have about 209 more work days. I wish I could stop counting them off. Maybe I will not look at my FIRE spreadsheet for the month of August and see if that helps.

Best wishes.

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2017, 11:52:15 AM »
Aspiring to join this cohort (currently in the class of 2019) but rumors abound that there will be an early retirement incentive offer this fall at my government agency.

If they add five years of service (this has been done before),as an incentive to retire, I am in! If it's just a one time incentive payment the numbers may not work for me.

Fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 12:05:19 PM by Livingthedream55 »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »
Aspiring to join this cohort (currently in the class of 2019) but rumors abound that there will be an early retirement incentive offer this fall at my government agency.

If they add five years of service (this has been done before),as an incentive to retire, I am in! If it's just a one time incentive payment the numbers may not work for me.

Fingers crossed!

I've heard the same rumors, from people in the know.  Are you federal gov?  I am, and it looks like we're going to get a multi-agency two year VERA with narrow election windows until they hit their target reductions, in order to avoid RIFs.  That means no VSIP, no 5 years, and only people with 25 years in will be eligible.

SwissMiss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • keeponrunning.net
« Reply #417 on: July 29, 2017, 01:14:02 AM »
Joining this cohort. Planning to FIRE in June 2018.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #418 on: July 29, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »

Welcome SwissMiss.

01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 06/18  SwissMiss
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
 08/18  NorCalistache
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #419 on: July 30, 2017, 07:34:31 PM »
60 is pretty late on these boards but I really only got the idea of earlier retirement  at the beginning of 2012, I thought I'd be going til 67. Better late than never :)

Couldn't agree more - in fact it's my sig block :)

I understand completely!  I thought I would have to slave away until age 70 (or longer!), but I'll be FIREd at age 60 - and that's already including TMY (Two More Years). 

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #420 on: July 30, 2017, 08:05:55 PM »
I'm ready to join this group. I plan to FIRE in July 2018. Would like to be gone this year but I have an incentive comp payoff that will vest then. Big enough to do OMY and then out.

DW retired two years ago. Her comment was basically "It's about time..."

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #421 on: July 31, 2017, 04:47:16 AM »
Welcome Mr Griz.  It's exciting as this cohort is still growing as we have less than 6 months to go.

01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 06/18  SwissMiss
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
 07/18  Mr Griz
 08/18  NorCalistache
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

[/quote]

Livingthedream55

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #422 on: August 02, 2017, 12:29:44 PM »

Fingers crossed!

I've heard the same rumors, from people in the know.  Are you federal gov?  I am, and it looks like we're going to get a multi-agency two year VERA with narrow election windows until they hit their target reductions, in order to avoid RIFs.  That means no VSIP, no 5 years, and only people with 25 years in will be eligible.

Nope - state government here.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #423 on: August 07, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »
Adding as this summer is my last working summer.  Now I have to break the newa to the 2019 cohort (I'm the OP).

01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
~5/18   Markbike528CBX
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 06/18  SwissMiss
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
 07/18  Mr Griz
 08/18  NorCalistache
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: August 07, 2017, 09:10:57 AM »
Adding as this summer is my last working summer.  Now I have to break the newa to the 2019 cohort (I'm the OP).

Welcome!  May I ask what changed to move up your date?  Change in financial situation, lack of tolerance for the job, or something else?

In other news, my phone is telling me I have 222 days to go!  I have a separate countdown at work telling me how many days I have left to be in the office.  It's in the 80s, I think, but I can't confirm the exact number because I'm currently working remotely with a lovely view of birds fishing in the river.  A bald eagle flew past the window at breakfast.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #425 on: August 07, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »

Welcome!  May I ask what changed to move up your date?  Change in financial situation, lack of tolerance for the job, or something else?

In other news, my phone is telling me I have 222 days to go!  I have a separate countdown at work telling me how many days I have left to be in the office.  It's in the 80s, I think, but I can't confirm the exact number because I'm currently working remotely with a lovely view of birds fishing in the river.  A bald eagle flew past the window at breakfast.

Already FI, nearly 30x very comfortable expenses 40x barebones (some slack/extea taxes included). 
Had fairly normal rearrangement of summer vacation.  Not my problem anymore or in the future.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #426 on: August 13, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
Posting to follow and cheer on the 2018 cohort!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #427 on: August 13, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
By my count, at least six people on this list are due to RE in the next five months.  Are you all up to speed with the forum's pre-retirement checklist thread?

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: August 13, 2017, 12:58:03 PM »
Holy crap that's a list.  I'm class 2019.  I never done any of that stuff.  Probably won't.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #429 on: August 13, 2017, 05:14:49 PM »
By my count, at least six people on this list are due to RE in the next five months.  Are you all up to speed with the forum's pre-retirement checklist thread?

Thanks for looking out for everyone Sol.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: August 13, 2017, 06:01:45 PM »

The last time I stated my planned FIRE date on the forum, it was 12/31/17.  That was a placeholder for "some time around the end of 2017/beginning of 2018."  I'm not sure I'm going to go then, given the health care mess.  But I'm still acting as if that's my date.  Reading through the list, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I've at least considered a lot of that stuff.

Right now I'm thinking a lot about how to optimize the exact date, so that I get paid for all of the annual leave that I would otherwise lose at the end of 2017, but not have it taxed at 25%.  Sol, you're a fellow fed.  Do you know if I leave at the end of pp 26, which would be the first week of January, 2018, would the lump sum annual leave payout be considered 2018 income?  If so, that would get it out of the 25% tax bracket.  Also wondering if there is a way to put most/all of it in the TSP to avoid any tax on it.  If I could do that, it would pretty much max my TSP out for 2018 right as I'm walking out the door.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #431 on: August 13, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »
Do you know if I leave at the end of pp 26, which would be the first week of January, 2018, would the lump sum annual leave payout be considered 2018 income?  If so, that would get it out of the 25% tax bracket.  Also wondering if there is a way to put most/all of it in the TSP to avoid any tax on it.  If I could do that, it would pretty much max my TSP out for 2018 right as I'm walking out the door.

I believe that any lump sum payment for unused annual leave counts as taxable income in the year it is paid, several weeks after you bail.  So that part should work.

The TSP part will not work, I think.  TSP contributions have to come out of your regular paycheck, not special one time payments.  You can't put travel voucher payments into the TSP, for example, and I'm betting AL payouts are the same deal.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #432 on: August 14, 2017, 04:03:33 AM »
Thanks, Sol.  Found a non-official source that confirms that lump sum AL payments can't be put into the TSP:

http://money.federaltimes.com/tag/annual-leave/

And another that confirms the payment is taxed in the calendar year in which it is made:

http://www.myfederalretirement.com/public/320.cfm

The lump-sum payment is taxable in the year it is received. For example, if an employee were to retire on Dec. 31, then the lump-sum payment for unused annual leave will be directly deposited in the retired employee's bank account by mid- to late January. That means the lump-sum payment is taxable in the new calendar year. The former employee will also have the lump-sum payment reported on a W2 form for the year in which it is received.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #433 on: August 15, 2017, 04:21:25 PM »
Posting to follow, I think I'm class of 2020 :( which feels ages away.

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: August 16, 2017, 01:53:51 AM »
I'm in, having previously been in the 2019 cohort. Current plan is to stop paid work some time between June & August, depending on job situation.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:27 AM »
My dates are teetering, might be March, might be June, might have to continue working another nine months past there due to health insurance. 

I've been digging into exchange plans an my spouse is a heavy user right now, $15k/year in out of pocket expenses start hurting the early retirement math, won't drop for 18 months until I can report lower income, but the $10k out of pocket plus premium is a rear-kicker.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #436 on: August 16, 2017, 06:58:11 AM »
Welcome cerat0n1a

01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
~5/18   Markbike528CBX
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 06/18  SwissMiss
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
 07/18  Mr Griz
~07/18 cerat0n1a
 08/18  NorCalistache
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #437 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
Put me down for August 2018.

I'd consider us already FI but we decided to let it roll until mid 18 so our child can finish the awesome private school my company pays for. The temptation of OMY is huge (this is a 'problem' when one gets ridiculous amounts of money and stuff at your job) but we're now committed.

Company really wants me to keep doing 4-6 weeks a year of consulting.  At $1200 a day plus flights and expenses that may prove hard to turn down...

it would have been great to learn about mustachianism 30 years ago. But no complaints. 

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: August 16, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Putting myself back on the list.  Seems I got dropped a while back on a technicality (having specified a 12/31/17 date).  My current date is 1/6/18.

01/18 Monkey Uncle
01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18   MandyM - Class of 2017
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
~5/18   Markbike528CBX
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 06/18  SwissMiss
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
 07/18  Mr Griz
~07/18 cerat0n1a
 08/18  NorCalistache
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2017, 05:42:49 AM »

01/18 Monkey Uncle
01/18  FIBy30
 01/18  PrePube
 01/18  Zinethstache
 01/18  MomCPA
 01/18  OzBeach
 01/18  NorGirl
 02/18  brooklynguy
 03/18  Cherry Lane
 03/18  Sofa King
 03/18  sol
~03/18  Gimesalot
 03/18  Badblackgirl
~03/18  Caoineag
 03/18  Clean Shaven
 03/18  JLTinVA
 04/18  Calvin
 04/18  DTaggart
 04/18  FernFree
 04/18  Gooki
~04/18  HappyMargo
 04/18   MandyM - Class of 2017
 04/18  NinetyFour
 04/18  ZiziPB
 04/18  LateStarter
 04/18  Aegishjalmur
~5/18   Markbike528CBX
 05/18  SwordGuy
 05/18  SwordGuy DW
 05/18  Alim Nassor
 06/18  Cheddar Stacker
 06/18  Albireo13
 06/18  DavisGang90
~06/18  Pylortes
 06/18  CowboyAndIndian
 06/18  Omalley
 06/18  aperture
 06/18  randomgiraffe
 06/18  dbtx
 06/18  poppydog
 06/18  SwissMiss
 07/18  AussieGirl
~07/18  BackAndForth
 07/18  ChasesFish
~07/18  Freshwater
 07/18  Mr Griz
~07/18 cerat0n1a
 08/18  NorCalistache
 08/18  Mr Mark
 10/18  Happy
 10/18  Irishtache
 10/18  patches
 10/18  Fire1018
 11/18  DeSteeg
 11/18  Kris
 12/18  yoda34
 12/18  EnjoyIt
 ??/18  Minnesota_mom
 ??/18  Michread
 ??/18  Blindsquirrel
 ??/18  thriftycanadian

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »
Wow, this class is getting big. Between everyone who is doing OMY and OLY, it seems like a lot of people converged on 2018.

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #441 on: August 21, 2017, 10:02:31 AM »
I am still not certain whether I will graduate with the class of 2018, or 2019. There are a mounting range of factors driving me to 2018 including DW's wishes/ demands. We shall see. But that is not why I chose to post. (I have said the same about my indecisiveness on FIRE date many times, so old news)

What I wanted to say was that today I had a really surreal, "shit this is almost about to happen" moment.

In my office boredom I started looking at one-way flights to various places in the world for June next year.

It dawned on me that I could book a one-way flight TODAY for my post FIRE adventure.

I could pay for the flight TODAY and lock in an adventure with no obligation to return at any time to anywhere. Freedom!

Just a few taps of the keys on the keyboard and it would be locked in!

I have never been without work obligations. I have never been between jobs since I was 14.

Sheesh!!!!

OMG.... am I ready to make decisions on the other side of FIRE. All my decisions up to now have been aimed at getting to FIRE. I haven't made any concrete decisions post FIRE yet.

10 months is so soon! Sorry, this has just dawned on me. Its really happening.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #442 on: August 21, 2017, 10:21:48 AM »
That is SO exciting, Itchyfeet! As a 2019er who feels that 2019 is such a long way away, I'm envious.

I saw an ad for what could be quite a fun seasonal side gig yesterday. "I could do that," I said to DH. I was on the verge of saying, "Shall I enquire?" when I remembered that I won't actually be able to do anything like that this summer OR next summer because I'll still be working at my current job.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #443 on: August 22, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
We're still on target of FIRE in May of 2018.   We're getting closer and closer!

We're already starting to make plans.

We'll start off with a weekend of dancing in the mountains!

itchyfeet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #444 on: August 22, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »
For us, despite my net day dreaming, we will push through the next 4 months before making any firm plans.

If we decide to FIRE next June I will need to tell my boss in my annual review in Feb. At that point there will be no turning back.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #445 on: August 23, 2017, 04:11:12 AM »
I sent a message to the person doing my next performance review, which isn't till next March, to say that they should approach it as my exit interview. Even in my worst case scenario, by the following March I'll be counting the days till I finish. I'm looking forward to saying, "Nope, keep all your hoops in your bag, I won't be jumping through them on my way to the door."

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #446 on: August 23, 2017, 07:46:36 AM »
I'm still on target for spring 2018.  I'm putting my house on the market this week so it's starting to feel real!  Rumor has it that my company will be changing its vacation day policy and will no longer pay out unused vacation time starting in 2018.  So I need to make plans for 2 weeks off this year and another week or two before I quit.  I guess it's a good problem to have :-)

JLTinVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #447 on: August 23, 2017, 07:49:17 AM »
I’m leaving March 2018 as my date for now, but I may be moving to the Class of 2017. DH is in middle management at a large firm and his department is undergoing a big re-org. His boss has all but told him that he won’t have a role in the new department. The “bad” news is that she likes him and has been grooming him for a senior management position. Since she assumes that is what he wants, she is actively trying to find a new spot for him elsewhere. He has told her that he wants to see a severance package before he applies for anything new, to weigh both options, make sure it’s a “good fit” for both parties, etc. etc. etc.

So ”worst case” scenario, they find him something without offering a severance package, and we work until March 2018 as planned.

Best case, they offer a package (based on the stated policy, he’s looking at over 6 months of severance, plus paid health care during the severance period). He stops working, we put our condo on the market (we’re moving to a LCOL area), and I give notice once we have a closing date, hopefully in 2017.

Keep your fingers crossed for a layoff!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2017, 01:30:07 PM »
I thought about putting this in the Mustachian People Problems thread, but it's really a "Class of 2018 problem":

Between work travel, vacation days (eclipse viewing), and telework, I'll have been out of the office for two weeks, so I haven't been able to update the FIRE countdown on my desk!

I think I have somewhere between 80 to 90 office days remaining, but I'm not sure.  I'm almost tempted to go to the office to check.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #449 on: August 23, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »
I'm still on target for spring 2018.  I'm putting my house on the market this week so it's starting to feel real!  Rumor has it that my company will be changing its vacation day policy and will no longer pay out unused vacation time starting in 2018.  So I need to make plans for 2 weeks off this year and another week or two before I quit.  I guess it's a good problem to have :-)

Can you set your leaving date as two weeks later and take the leave then?