Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 81292 times)

Retire-Canada

• Magnum Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #400 on: July 17, 2017, 08:03:23 AM »
I hit a wall with my motivation at work and ended up turning in my resignation much earlier than I originally planned. Oh darn :) So I am officially out of the Class of 2018, my last day will be somewhere around 7/25. Good luck everyone!!

Congrats! Enjoy! :)

Aegishjalmur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #401 on: July 17, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »

Quote from: MandyM on Today at 07:19:45 AM

"I hit a wall with my motivation at work and ended up turning in my resignation much earlier than I originally planned. Oh darn :) So I am officially out of the Class of 2018, my last day will be somewhere around 7/25. Good luck everyone!!"

Congrats! I am trying to keep my motivation up and not do this. It doesn't help that we are doing our 'OMY'. This year is padding the acct to ensure even if the house sells for way less than anticipated, we're still good.

Plans are useless. Planning is indispensable.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chart prepping
« Reply #402 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:07 AM »
Signed my retirement letter to the Navy today, so it's getting real!  Last day of work is June 15th.
Check out my blog.  Early retirement from a military perspective.

http://chartprepping.com

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: July 17, 2017, 10:47:43 AM »
Suddenly, this thread sucks a whole lot more.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #404 on: July 17, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »

I hit a wall with my motivation at work and ended up turning in my resignation much earlier than I originally planned. Oh darn :) So I am officially out of the Class of 2018, my last day will be somewhere around 7/25. Good luck everyone!!

Congratulations MandyM!

On a side note, I had a really terrible phone call with my boss before my vacation last week, so my hubs and I decided that it was time to pull the trigger.  I tried to call it quits today and my boss refused to accept my resignation!  I am going to try to negotiate part-time, since I don't want to burn any bridges.

Retire-Canada

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #405 on: July 17, 2017, 11:32:13 AM »
I tried to call it quits today and my boss refused to accept my resignation! 

I'm pretty sure your boss doesn't actually have that option. ;)

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #406 on: July 17, 2017, 11:43:27 AM »

This is true but I am trying to stay on good terms since I might need to use this job as a reference.  My new plan is to talk to my boss at the client site and arrange a part-time schedule with them.  Use that as leverage to get my boss to allow me to work part-time.  If that doesn't go over, then the bridge will be burned!

dividendman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #407 on: July 17, 2017, 12:14:58 PM »

This is true but I am trying to stay on good terms since I might need to use this job as a reference.  My new plan is to talk to my boss at the client site and arrange a part-time schedule with them.  Use that as leverage to get my boss to allow me to work part-time.  If that doesn't go over, then the bridge will be burned!

If my boss "refused" a two week notice. He'd quickly have a however-long-it-takes-me-to-walk-out-of-the-office notice period.

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
« Reply #408 on: July 17, 2017, 01:29:34 PM »
Caoineag and chassesfish,
I have set my own date exactly for that: avoiding another round of performance reviews.  I love the coaching part of being a people manager, but the heavy processes was really big drain on me.  I don't mind delivering the message that someone performed poorly, but I just can't deal with reading 50+ reviews in search of something that is not immediately obvious when discussing my findings with my peers for 10+ hours.  I never liked that part of my job.

That's awesome!!   I really can't avoid them at all, 25-35% of my pay hits a month after reviews are due.

You know the only thing worse than writing the performance reviews?  Its when poor to mediocre performing employees want to "discuss their career" with you.   More than half of my employees and indirect reports are in jobs that include sales goals.  WTF is there to discuss with an employee not showing the effort to meet their current goals?  I'm more than happy to spend all the time I have with high performing and/or high potential people, but I won't miss the part of management where I have to hold in the "Do your f@#$ing job first" response.

For you and your goals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJtrLKGZZFg

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #409 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:08 PM »

Sol - I am feeling about the same.  Sometime in the next 12 months, this thread is going to get a whole lot better though.

CowboyAndIndian

• Pencil Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #410 on: July 17, 2017, 05:23:43 PM »

Sol - I am feeling about the same.  Sometime in the next 12 months, this thread is going to get a whole lot better though.

So true, the light at the end of my tunnel is a year away....

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #411 on: July 18, 2017, 06:08:32 AM »
In the Class of 2017 thread some of us were discussing a strange kind of sadness as we prepared to leave our jobs. homestead neohio had this comment, that I liked very much:

I'm looking forward to the sadness and nostalgia and feeling all the feels of this life milestone.  It just means we're complicated humans who are alive.  Right now I'm treasuring the security of the paycheck while it lasts and the richness of the anticipation I'm feeling.

Perhaps a year is a long time to dwell in anticipation, but still not a bad thing to keep in mind as you get closer and closer.
"Freedom lies in being bold." -Robert Frost

markbike528CBX

• Bristles
« Reply #412 on: July 18, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
Posting to lurk.  Perhaps to every join this cohort on short notice.