Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 434100 times)

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #2300 on: February 06, 2019, 12:47:23 AM »
There are so many advantages of eReaders, but one of the nicest ones is the ability to have literally 100s of books on it to read any time.  I can get the latest books on it for free from my library without ever having to set foot into the building itself, and there are so many places online that have free books.  Yeah, you have the initial cost of the Kindle or whatever, but I know mine has paid off over the years.

Can an iPad be used as an eReader ?

It can, but it is not ideal.  Battery life is much shorter on an iPad.  The lighting is so good on a Kindle.  While reading in the daytime or outside, it is like you are looking at an actual printed page, and at night it is much easier on the eyes than an iPad. 

So yeah, the iPad can be used as an eReader, and I would say it is better than nothing, but the Kindle Paperwhite really is the way to go. 

This article goes into details:  https://ebookfriendly.com/amazon-kindle-vs-apple-ipad-reading-books/

I have been a Kindle user for many years. When they first came out, I waited until the price dropped dramatically. That was when they introduced a second model. I love to read from a Kindle. It could last for a month or so without loading the battery, but it didn't have background light. After many years, my DH dropped a camera with telelens on the Kindle screen and then I had to buy a new one, also the paper white, without adds, but with built-in background light. I can read it in the dark.

In my country I cannot even load library books on it, so I have mostly been buying (cheap) books on Amazon and reading some Gutenberg books. But if you can load library books on it, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. They are most more pleasant to hold than a real book. And on vacations I don't need to bring a whole box full of books.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2301 on: February 06, 2019, 03:30:13 AM »
There are so many advantages of eReaders, but one of the nicest ones is the ability to have literally 100s of books on it to read any time.  I can get the latest books on it for free from my library without ever having to set foot into the building itself, and there are so many places online that have free books.  Yeah, you have the initial cost of the Kindle or whatever, but I know mine has paid off over the years.

Can an iPad be used as an eReader ?

It can, but it is not ideal.  Battery life is much shorter on an iPad.  The lighting is so good on a Kindle.  While reading in the daytime or outside, it is like you are looking at an actual printed page, and at night it is much easier on the eyes than an iPad. 

So yeah, the iPad can be used as an eReader, and I would say it is better than nothing, but the Kindle Paperwhite really is the way to go. 

This article goes into details:  https://ebookfriendly.com/amazon-kindle-vs-apple-ipad-reading-books/

I have been a Kindle user for many years. When they first came out, I waited until the price dropped dramatically. That was when they introduced a second model. I love to read from a Kindle. It could last for a month or so without loading the battery, but it didn't have background light. After many years, my DH dropped a camera with telelens on the Kindle screen and then I had to buy a new one, also the paper white, without adds, but with built-in background light. I can read it in the dark.

In my country I cannot even load library books on it, so I have mostly been buying (cheap) books on Amazon and reading some Gutenberg books. But if you can load library books on it, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment. They are most more pleasant to hold than a real book. And on vacations I don't need to bring a whole box full of books.

If you already have the iPad, definitely give that a try first - it's free with free library / Kindle apps (check which app your library uses). It also will let you access more formats than just Amazon's proprietary one. Pretty much everything is available for kindle, but not everything is free from the library in that format.

I'll say I've been reading almost exclusively on an iPad for years now quite happily. I do a lot of reading, both recreational and for work. I have set the Kindle app to light text on a dark background because that's better for me for eye strain and for reading at night. It's true the power doesn't last for months - I plug the tablet up every couple of nights just like I do my phone.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2302 on: February 06, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the information.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2303 on: February 06, 2019, 09:03:42 PM »
I've been making art again.  And designing pieces as well.   Damn, but that feels good.

Teaching the art classes is lots of fun and it's good for my soul.

Just registered for an art technique conference today.  It will take place this summer.   

We're going to another Regency era ball this summer, too.

Rental #4 is almost done.  Should be done by end of next week if all goes reasonably well.   Bad weather caused some delays.  Not understanding how much work painting the new deck instead of staining it was another.  (Never making that mistake again!)
Having my wife and daughter injured was another reason.   And just being in the doldrums and not working hard on it for the last two months was another.   It will be good to get it done and rented.

Still on the fence about turning Flip #2 into a single family house or leaving it as a duplex and renting it out.   A cute house next door to it isn't selling for a good sales price and it appears to be in fine condition.   We'll be starting on it after rental #4 is done.   After that I may take a break for a while (unless I find a *great* deal).     

As far as finances go, I'll be happy if we just keep the gains in the market we've had already this year.   

Cherry Lane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2304 on: March 25, 2019, 09:35:14 PM »
A week ago I reached one year as a FIREee.  My, how the time has flown.  And yet, having a "real job" seems like a lifetime ago.

I haven't done a lot of what I'd planned, and FIREd life doesn't look quite how I thought it might, but I'm happy I'm here!

What about the rest of you?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2305 on: March 25, 2019, 10:40:41 PM »
I sort of un-retired, then decided that working isn't for me anymore.

I work out a lot more, as I expected I would.  I think I have bigger muscles right now than at any other time in my life, which isn't saying a lot but it's not nothing.

I've completed a whole long list of household projects, both inside and out.

I stopped a burglary at a neighbor's house, because I was home during the day.

I spend a lot more time with my aging parents, and my kids.  And my stress levels are almost unchartable, even in situation where I should probably rightfully feel stressed out.  Nothing really bothers me anymore, at least not the ways they used to.

I've taken on a couple of volunteer gigs, and gotten waaay more involved in them than I thought I would.  I have time and ability that no one else seems able to give.

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2306 on: March 26, 2019, 12:56:49 AM »

<>...  And my stress levels are almost unchartable, even in situation where I should probably rightfully feel stressed out.  Nothing really bothers me anymore, at least not the ways they used to.

I am so much looking forward to this. This last year feels very long.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2307 on: March 26, 2019, 04:28:54 AM »
FIRE is great so far.  I've not worked out as much as I wanted to, time to change that.

I've found a good volunteer gig one night a week.  I'm in a Citizens Safety Academy for the next 8 months or so one night a week.  We go around my county to learn about the different emergency services to better understand their various roles.

I am looking for another job (don't tell the IRP!) to give back tot he community as a 911 operator.  I really enjoy helping people and also enjoy the stress associated with that kind of role.  We'll see if I make the cut.

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2308 on: March 26, 2019, 04:31:30 AM »
The thread is alive! Hello :-) One of the things I didn't expect from FIRE is that I'm spending SO much less time on this site now.

This chimes.

I just realized one of the things I love the most about being retired.  Nearly every day, at some point, I'm like, "What?!?  It's 2:30pm already?" or "oh crap, it's already 4pm!"  And I'm serious - I'm honestly shocked and super chagrined at how late it is, because I have so much more I want/need to do.  I can tell you no matter how much work I was bogged down in in the old days of jobbing, I never was concerned with how fast the day was going by.  Rather, I feel like there were very few days where I wasn't lamenting how slowly each day passed.  So while I'm often a bit distressed to realize I don't have as much time to enjoy or get stuff done as I'd like, it's certainly worth it to not be wishing my life would go by more quickly.

I'm amazed at how time runs away on my "retired" days, especially when I have something I want to do.

Nearly five months in, I'm still fair game for the IRP. My retirement work gig has grown a little (30 hours some weeks, though this is exceptional) and sprouted expectations of mandatory training. I don't mind the training now that I have sofa-time to do it. I've declined other work opportunities, including pleas from my former workplace, which remains in a state of constant drama. I'm so glad it's no longer my problem.

My husband still works there in a junior role and hasn't been treated well since I left. He'll be reducing his working hours next month, having been unable to prevent them from loading more and more tasks into his sessions. I support him, but a bit of me is thinking, "I'm not sure my retirement plan included being back to working more hours than you within six months." Another bit of me is thinking, "Walk, we've got enough FU money for you too, and it would be great if we could take vacations at short notice without you having to get the approval of a manager neither of us regards as fit for the job."

Although I'm quite enjoying the work I do, I enjoy my "retired" weekdays, with nothing to do and all day to do it, even more. Sometimes I don't do much more than "nothing" - a bit of reading, mooch around on the internet, go for a run or a bike ride, pick off a small housework task.

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2309 on: March 26, 2019, 06:13:39 AM »
Although I'm quite enjoying the work I do, I enjoy my "retired" weekdays, with nothing to do and all day to do it, even more. Sometimes I don't do much more than "nothing" - a bit of reading, mooch around on the internet, go for a run or a bike ride, pick off a small housework task.
This chimed so much with me.  Sunday was bright and sunny, we rode into town to do a bit of shopping in the morning and pottered in the garden in the afternoon.  When we stopped for the day, just knowing that we could finish those tasks tomorrow or the day after or whenever was such a wonderful feeling compared to the days of 'Oh no, the weekend's over and we didn't get it all done!'

markbike528CBX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2310 on: March 26, 2019, 12:29:15 PM »
Well, I've been so retired, I forgot that this is my cohort (I'm the OP of the 2019 thread).   

I agree that time goes past quickly.  My wife works 4 hours/day and by the time I'm up and about she's almost home.  I'm updating iTunes on my (new to me iPad 2). 

After FIRE, we spent a lot of time traveling so I fell down on 2019 thread upkeep.  Fortunately, @Trifele stepped up, but is now retiring too, so we'll see how the thread list updates go.

Nearly a year in, the spend levels look OK (could be better).

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2311 on: March 26, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
We retired last May and got off to a horrible start.  Wife and I both got horribly sick and stayed that way for much of May.   Wife messed up her ankle and then later her knee so she was in a wheelchair or on crutches for months.   Daughter fell and broke her leg so she was in a wheelchair.  (At one point, both needed a wheelchair at the same time.)

The two rental houses we picked up took more effort to get done that we expected, especially the 2nd one.  Partly because we underestimated how much delay there would be due to painting the new deck and partly because with all the other stuff that had been going on, I was running on empty.

And yet, I can't imagine how absolutely horrible all that inconvenience would have been if we still needed to work for a living!

Our FI status turned what could have been a financial disaster into a mere pain in the rear nuisance.

Now that the rentals are done I've been doing things around the house that needed doing.  Things like getting my woodshop and my wife's pottery studio organized so we can work in them plus some put-off repairs.   I've hosted two art party weekends and I start teaching my 2nd art class tomorrow.

We're starting to lose track of what day is what.   Missed putting the trash out on the right day last week!   

We've been doing more reading.

Now that we're all healthy again we'll start taking some 3-4 day trips.

FIRE Life is good.

Cherry Lane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2312 on: March 26, 2019, 04:42:34 PM »
We're starting to lose track of what day is what.   Missed putting the trash out on the right day last week!   

Thanks for remiding me to get the trash out tonight!  I've only been remembering about once per three weeks. Fortunately I don't generate much trash.

FIRE Life is good.

I'm glad you are finding that, despite your initial setbacks.  I agree!

Linea_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2313 on: March 27, 2019, 01:31:54 AM »

Thanks for remiding me to get the trash out tonight!  I've only been remembering about once per three weeks. Fortunately I don't generate much trash.

Our trash company sends out an SMS to every relevant household the evening before the collection. That is quite useful. Maybe you could request that they implement such a function?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2314 on: March 27, 2019, 02:48:11 PM »
I succeeded in repairing some of the bathroom ceiling drywall with the help of a client/friend, and then I painted it white high gloss.

I'm still working part time but I feel like I have a good balance in my life, I mostly enjoy my work, and it is a social outlet for me.

Also, definitely working out more and really enjoying that a great deal. And I'm driving a whole lot less.

I did drive to the gym today and I was driving back I wondered about what would be a safe bike path to take in lieu of using a car to get there.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2315 on: March 27, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
I succeeded in repairing some of the bathroom ceiling drywall with the help of a client/friend, and then I painted it white high gloss.

I'm still working part time but I feel like I have a good balance in my life, I mostly enjoy my work, and it is a social outlet for me.

Also, definitely working out more and really enjoying that a great deal. And I'm driving a whole lot less.

I did drive to the gym today and I was driving back I wondered about what would be a safe bike path to take in lieu of using a car to get there.

Same with me, working part time about 2 days a week. I work out more with a better workout now each time since I have more time in the day. We eat better since we have more time to create new and exciting healthy dishes. I fill up my car now almost once a month instead of once a week.

I too want to ride my bike to the gym. It would take me about 30 minutes each way. Iím not too worried about the ride there, but the ride back especially after a leg workout scares me. One of these days it will happen.

Cherry Lane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2316 on: March 27, 2019, 04:51:21 PM »

I bike to the gym (it's under 2 miles each way) and feel safer riding on a busy street than I do driving in the gym's parking garage.  I drove there some over the winter (<50%) and am happy to be back biking more again.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2317 on: March 27, 2019, 08:54:02 PM »
If I bicycle there I will definitely be taking sidestreets and use sidewalks which are mostly empty on this route.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2318 on: April 04, 2019, 09:31:00 AM »
Weird Al song linked from the MMM blog frontpage on April 1st:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4

This dredged up all kinds of horrible feelings from inside of me, and then, finally, a calming sense of relief when I realized I never need to live in that world ever again.  If I ever try to efficiently synergize my core competencies again, someone please kick me in the balls.

sui generis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2319 on: April 04, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
A week ago I reached one year as a FIREee.  My, how the time has flown.  And yet, having a "real job" seems like a lifetime ago.

I haven't done a lot of what I'd planned, and FIREd life doesn't look quite how I thought it might, but I'm happy I'm here!

What about the rest of you?

I've been FIREd for almost 8 months now and I keep thinking that I just haven't quite yet really gotten a taste of it.  I'm not really there yet.  I started with "working" more hours than I ever did at work the first few months, on the 2018 mid-term elections (but unpaid).  Then I had a wedding to plan, an unexpected move and took on a few too many volunteer obligations, so that wasn't really "true" FIREd life either, was it?  Wedding is over and volunteer obligations have settled, but I still have to make a To Do list each and every day because I have a lot of work to do on our new home, we have two more trips/events to plan and I need a whole planning regime for a thru-hike I'm doing this summer.  And all the stuff I was going to do when I was FIREd?  Spanish, meditation, dancing classes, learning new skills?  Well...I am meditating, but that's it.  I have no time for my FIRE plans, so it feels like I'm still not really FIREd!

But....it sort of finally sunk in....as you say above, @Cherry Lane "FIREd life doesn't look quite how I thought it might."  But that doesn't mean I'm not really experiencing a true FIREd life.  And I'm quite happy, too.  Certainly many times happier than if I had to work and do most of these things on top of working and not be able to do some of the other things at all.  And if all goes well, I have 4 or 5 decades to fill and I don't expect my first 8 months will be indicative of what things will be like in a few years or a few decades.  It's a true adventure to see what will come!

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2320 on: April 04, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
Weird Al song linked from the MMM blog frontpage on April 1st:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV_UG60dD4

This dredged up all kinds of horrible feelings from inside of me, and then, finally, a calming sense of relief when I realized I never need to live in that world ever again.  If I ever try to efficiently synergize my core competencies again, someone please kick me in the balls.

Sweet Babelspeak Sol, but watch the Sailor!  Proactively "From the Sea"; An agent of change leveraging the littoral best practices for a paradigm breaking six-sigma best business case to synergize a consistent design in the global commons, rightsizing the core value supporting our mission statement via the 5-vector model through cultural diversity. 

(H/T CDR Salamander.  https://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/)

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #2321 on: April 04, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »
I'm really enjoying browsing through the 2018 forums now.  It seems the general theme is "how does the slowing down process go?"

Its already so easy to just keep operating at the prior pace.  Learning to slow down is part of the process

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2322 on: April 16, 2019, 11:30:34 PM »

Sweet Babelspeak Sol, but watch the Sailor!  Proactively "From the Sea"; An agent of change leveraging the littoral best practices for a paradigm breaking six-sigma best business case to synergize a consistent design in the global commons, rightsizing the core value supporting our mission statement via the 5-vector model through cultural diversity. 

(H/T CDR Salamander.  https://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/)

Listening to this song reminded me of the corporate lingo used in one my old department's push for a "paradigm shift".

Management encouraged people to put a pair of dimes (get it...paradigm) in the plastic slot where their badges resided to join the "paradigm shift" movement.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2323 on: April 17, 2019, 08:37:27 PM »
I went to a lecture this evening by a financial advisor on how to manage assets between 401k, 403b, and 457

It was very basic and I can't say I learned anything new or meaningful. In fact I kept interjecting about the value of rollovers to a Roth.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2324 on: Today at 02:05:22 AM »
Its now 6 months since I went on Long Service Leave, hoping that I would not need to return to work and events transpired to make that so. I am still on leave, and will use up more leave, resigning in July.

As quite a few people have remarked, FIRE that Iím living doesnít look that much like the FIRE Iíd imagined. Within a few weeks of going on leave, my remaining parent took ill suddenly and died. I had hoped to have more time available to help out but thats not how things turned out. This lead to a whirlwind of clearing out 60 years of possessions from the family home, selling it, and trying to wind up my parents affairs, a process which is still onging.

Simultaneously the realestate project DS and I are working on took a series of unexpected twists and turns. This meant a few changes of direction, and ultimately resulted in constraints with cashflow that has slowed down progress quite a lot. However a DA is now finally sitting with council.

Whole of house renovations, part of the above project ( we are flipping), meant that our possessions have been variously packed and unpacked, shifted from one end of the house to the other and covered in dust despite our best efforts due to chasing plumbing into the slab, once for the bathrooms and once for the kitchen at the other end of the house. Added to that has been a huge influx of my parents thingsÖwe set an aspirational timeline for selling their house and it was quicker to bring stuff we werenít sure about disposing of back here. So wrangling too much stuff has featured prominently in the last 6 months and this is also ongoing.

In spite of this rather torrid beginning, some great things have also happened. Iíve lost about 7 kg, although I had hoped for more. I am a bit fitter, now walking several km regularly. Iím definitely less stressed, and loving the feeling of not having to have everything planned around my workdays. If I canít  or donít wish to fit something in, then it can be done another day. The dogs and I have been to the dog beach quite a lot. I now have 4 miniature goats. Iíve been on a great 2 week holiday with a mustachian friend and have planned another later in the  year. The veggie garden hasnít progressed as much, nor been as productive as I would have liked, but hopefully more progress will be made as some of the  earlier commitments are reducing. All in all, I would now say: living the dream :).