Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 404365 times)

sol

• Walrus Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #2250 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
Our accounts are joint, so I guess we are retired.  Only nothing has changed!

I would posit that you are both FI if you already have enough money to never need to work again, even if one of you is still working for reasons unrelated to finances.

If one of you is still working, even for fun, you might be sort of RE but not fully RE.  My FIL retired from 20 years in the military and 14 years in civil service, and then got a part time job at Lowe's to stay busy and get the employee discount, and he definitely considered himself retired even though he was still working.  He did not need the money.

A stay at home spouse who never had a career is probably never retired.  If a stay at home spouse previously had a career and then finished it after working 30 years, I think that counts as retired even in the case where the other spouse is still working to pay all expenses.  I'm not sure that the "30 years" part of that sentence is really required.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2251 on: January 11, 2019, 11:26:48 AM »
So the names in this 2018 FIRE list are simply those where everyone in the household is retired and the bills are paid via retirement instruments (SS, pensions, savings, etc)?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2252 on: January 11, 2019, 12:37:43 PM »
So the names in this 2018 FIRE list are simply those where everyone in the household is retired and the bills are paid via retirement instruments (SS, pensions, savings, etc)?

Money is fungible.  If one spouse is still earning $10k per year shelving books at the local library, and the rest of the family's $40k/year spending is coming from a $1,000,000 nest egg, I would suggest that they are 4% compliant with or without the library job, and should probably count as retired.  Whether they withdraw 30k and spend the 10k of library money, or withdraw 40k and save the 10k of library money, I don't think it matters.  In this example, a household might still be retired even if they are working to earn money that they are spending, because the money is unnecessary for them to be retired.

It's a fuzzy area, though.  Some people want to reserve the term "retired" for people who do no paid work of any sort.  Even hobbies that generate a little side income are sometimes considered a retirement-disqualifying "job", regardless of the size of your assets or spending rate.  To these people, it doesn't matter if you only spend $25k/year and have a billion dollars of VTSAX, if you sell needlepoint on Etsy then you're not retired.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2253 on: January 11, 2019, 04:39:25 PM »
I think we can agree hobbies and for fun work could still qualify a family as retired. Just not ďnormalĒ continuation of the same 40+ hour job/career for one worker while another takes a break or retires or wants to spend time at home or with kids.

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #2254 on: January 11, 2019, 04:44:40 PM »

To me the people on the list are those who wanted to be held accountable for and subsequently celebrate a major life event that they considered an act of FIRE. Thereíre no prizes for joining the list (and not much to lose if you stay quiet).

If you donít feel you meet that criteria, it probably doesnít make sense to add yourself.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #2255 on: January 11, 2019, 05:01:50 PM »

To me the people on the list are those who wanted to be held accountable for and subsequently celebrate a major life event that they considered an act of FIRE. Thereíre no prizes for joining the list (and not much to lose if you stay quiet).

If you donít feel you meet that criteria, it probably doesnít make sense to add yourself.

Wait a minute!  There are no prizes for joining this list!?!?

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #2256 on: January 11, 2019, 05:15:32 PM »

Wait a minute!  There are no prizes for joining this list!?!?

Ok, just for you Will.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2257 on: January 11, 2019, 06:25:06 PM »

The criteria seem quite loose and broad. But I congratulate anyone who feels like they accomplished whatever they defined. I think everyone should get a prize or at least a certificate of merit.

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2258 on: January 11, 2019, 09:15:08 PM »
Hope everyone who self-declared FIRE in our 2018 FIRE cohort is enjoying their time - whether or not they meet the guidelines of the Internet Retirement Police :)

As for me,I am still loving sleeping in every morning!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #2259 on: January 12, 2019, 01:29:44 PM »

The criteria seem quite loose and broad. But I congratulate anyone who feels like they accomplished whatever they defined. I think everyone should get a prize or at least a certificate of merit.

I think the prize is the lives we are leading as retired folk.  The certificates of merit we get are the statements we get from our financial institutions.  :)

Hope everyone who self-declared FIRE in our 2018 FIRE cohort is enjoying their time - whether or not they meet the guidelines of the Internet Retirement Police :)

Yeah,  I think I need to change the "Do Not Disturb" times on my phone.  I love sleeping in as well, but I am getting phone calls at "normal times" that wake me up because I am no longer a part of the "normal". 

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2260 on: January 13, 2019, 02:24:04 AM »
Yes I am sleeping in til 8 every day. But it makes a late start to the day if I have a leisurely breakfast and shower. I seem to still have a need to.get.stuff.done. And I have plenty to do. So I am trying to gradually wean myself back to an earlier start.

Today was an excellent blend. Sleep til 7:30. Slow start, which means coffee and a handful of nuts, knocked out a couple of forum posts.  Then walked the dogs to the beach, gave them a run, and had family brunch at our local cafe. Then headed up to my parents house to work....we are preparing it for market so that meant clearing out the garage, some gardening, and planting, and clearing out an area of plants downstairs. 

A quick pasta meal and some wine and I'm now chilling.

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2261 on: January 13, 2019, 06:01:30 AM »
I still have to get up at 6:50 to get the kids ready for school.  I hate you all.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2262 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:27 AM »
I still have to get up at 6:50 to get the kids ready for school.  I hate you all.
Ah, they say the days are long, but the years are short. You'll get there, @PhilB!

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2263 on: January 13, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
Waking naturally (no alarm clock) has definitely been a highlight of my retirement!!  Since I quite working back in April, I have used an alarm clock only a handful of times--to get up early to catch a plane to go somewhere fun, to meet friends for breakfast, to meet friends to hiking adventures, or to do math activities with kids or teachers.  The days of routinely having to get up at 4:30 each morning are over!!

Even with no alarm clock, though, I usually wake up between 5 and 6 anyway.  I like being up early to get a jump start on the day.

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2264 on: January 13, 2019, 09:02:45 PM »
Ah, they say the days are long, but the years are short. You'll get there, @PhilB!
I only wish I was retired young enough still to have school age kids :P

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2265 on: January 13, 2019, 10:26:49 PM »
I only wish I was retired young enough still to have school age kids :P

It's all in how you look at it, isn't it?

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2266 on: January 17, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »
I found a great spinning studio where there's this intense spinning class/boot camp class that I'm taking. I love it.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2267 on: January 17, 2019, 07:56:14 PM »
I found a great spinning studio where there's this intense spinning class/boot camp class that I'm taking. I love it.

Cool!   That will be fun!

We missed out on fun travel this year after FIRE because of illness and injuries in my family.    I just found a 3 month gig in southern Italy that sounds like fun.    My wife and I are still talking it over to see if (a) she wants to do it too and (b) she doesn't mind if I go ahead and give it a whirl.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2268 on: January 17, 2019, 08:18:25 PM »
Swordguy I hope things are improving for your wife and your daughter.

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2269 on: January 17, 2019, 10:06:30 PM »
Swordguy I hope things are improving for your wife and your daughter.

They are, thanks!  They are getting better every day.  My honey and I are going for a walk tomorrow morning.  Woot!  First one in months!

poppydog

• Stubble
« Reply #2270 on: January 21, 2019, 03:07:30 AM »

Oh yes!  Weíre having a ball, travelling, shopping when itís quiet, spending time with grandson, with another on the way.  Life is excellent!