Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 403982 times)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #2200 on: December 03, 2018, 01:52:39 AM »
Four weeks on, I still have no evidence that I retired TO something rather than FROM something, but there's no hurry. I'm enjoying having mornings. And afternoons. And being able to go to bed at 10pm having had an evening rather than having arrived home from work, scarfed a bowl of breakfast cereal, felt bad about not having exercised all day, and gone to bed.

I'm enjoying my 12-18 hours a week of freelance work. It's just enough to deter me from taking on any committing voluntary activities. I said I wouldn't, but the need for validation through work doesn't go away just because you start to describe yourself as "retired". When those few sessions of work start to feel like an imposition, I'll stop.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 12:56:20 PM by TartanTallulah »

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2201 on: December 03, 2018, 03:12:13 PM »
I haven't quite figured out what retirement will look like either :)

However, Nov 30 was the official date of my retirement so now I have officially been FIRE for 2 days!! Feels weird since I have been off on leave since January anyway lol.

My office reached out to me and said they would really like to do something to recognize my leaving so they are throwing me a goodbye lunch. I was very deeply touched by the gesture. That was so nice and unexpected since I have been gone for so long!

Things are getting real though. They posted my job today (changed the title and tweaked it a bit) and I got a message from an acquaintance asking what was up.

Still haven't decided what to say. I was planning to just tell close friends and keep it quiet with everyone else. But more and more people keep asking lol (since many know I had planned to return to work in December). Some of my friends tell me I should just shout it out from the rooftops - but I still feel a bit weird about it. DH says we should tell a wider circle of the people we see regularly. So I guess we will. I suppose there's no reason to keep it a deep, dark secret.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2202 on: December 03, 2018, 05:07:13 PM »
I suppose there's no reason to keep it a deep, dark secret.

If you're authentically living your best life, then you absolutely can shout it from the rooftops.  People need to see examples of non-traditional behaviors in order for those behaviors to be normalized.  Once enough people are retired at age 40, it won't be weird anymore to be retired at age 40.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #2203 on: December 06, 2018, 03:41:52 PM »
Ten days to go....

Supplemental health care insurance?  Check.
Office files disposed of or archived?  Check.
Office parking pass cancelled?  Check.
Personal belongings taken home?  Check.
Smiling beatifically at my manager and coworkers when assignments for the New Year are discussed?  Check.

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2204 on: December 07, 2018, 07:31:17 AM »
Ten days to go....

Supplemental health care insurance?  Check.
Office files disposed of or archived?  Check.
Office parking pass cancelled?  Check.
Personal belongings taken home?  Check.
Smiling beatifically at my manager and coworkers when assignments for the New Year are discussed?  Check.
Woot! You are almost there!!!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 08:58:19 PM by elaine amj »

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2205 on: December 15, 2018, 06:34:12 AM »
I used to wonder why there were so few posts from people who had already FIREd.  Seven weeks after pulling the plug, I suspect I now know why as I seem to barely have time to scratch my arse.
My feelings in that time have varied between weird, wonderful and knackered.  On my first trip into the market after retirement I kept catching myself rushing and had to make myself relax and slow down as I didn't need to rush any more.  This kept happening for the first few weeks until one sunny day when I found myself gently pootling around town on my bike and a strange, unfamiliar feeling came over me that I eventually realised was happiness.  That feeling has been recurring with increasing frequency ever since.
The biggest difference to how I expected to pass my days and the reality is the sheer amount of physical work I'm doing almost every day.  It turns out that the fatigue which I had been attributing to my leukaemia drugs, and which I expected to mean several hours every day would be spent chilling, was actually largely caused by work stress and a sedentary lifestyle. I'm feeling ten years younger, powering through the various projects around the house and garden and getting more of a feeling of achievement from things like building a new log store or digging up a tree stump than my job gave me in years.  Spending is coming in under budget and I hardly ever think about my finances any more - after spending the last few years obsessing about them.
All in all I am having a wonderful time.  Having concentrated my plans so hard on wealth the bonus of health and happiness post FIRE is a delight that I hope you all get to share.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2206 on: December 16, 2018, 11:52:01 PM »
I used to wonder why there were so few posts from people who had already FIREd.  Seven weeks after pulling the plug, I suspect I now know why as I seem to barely have time to scratch my arse.
My feelings in that time have varied between weird, wonderful and knackered.  On my first trip into the market after retirement I kept catching myself rushing and had to make myself relax and slow down as I didn't need to rush any more.  This kept happening for the first few weeks until one sunny day when I found myself gently pootling around town on my bike and a strange, unfamiliar feeling came over me that I eventually realised was happiness.  That feeling has been recurring with increasing frequency ever since.
The biggest difference to how I expected to pass my days and the reality is the sheer amount of physical work I'm doing almost every day.  It turns out that the fatigue which I had been attributing to my leukaemia drugs, and which I expected to mean several hours every day would be spent chilling, was actually largely caused by work stress and a sedentary lifestyle. I'm feeling ten years younger, powering through the various projects around the house and garden and getting more of a feeling of achievement from things like building a new log store or digging up a tree stump than my job gave me in years.  Spending is coming in under budget and I hardly ever think about my finances any more - after spending the last few years obsessing about them.
All in all I am having a wonderful time.  Having concentrated my plans so hard on wealth the bonus of health and happiness post FIRE is a delight that I hope you all get to share.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.  I'm thrilled FIRE life is working out for you.

It has been 2 months since I went part time.  I get more exercise and feel healthier.  My back has not hurt once during those 2 months and I even enjoy the little bit of work I do so much more.  The first few weeks after making that transition I rotted away on the couch.  It took a bit of decompression and motivation to get myself moving again.  I also find that going in to work a few days a month helps give me a bit of a schedule and provides me with more motivation.  I think for now part time is a good transition that I can do for the time being.  If I stop liking it, I will retire completely.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2207 on: December 17, 2018, 02:46:35 AM »

Shared this as the best post of the day. I hope we will all experience this good feeling after FIRE, and hopefully some before as well.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2208 on: December 25, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
Merry Christmas 2018 cohort!

Any more pulling the trigger by the end of the year?

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2209 on: December 25, 2018, 11:10:42 AM »
Merry Christmas to all our 2018 cohort! It will be awesome to add some extra names to our cohort :) :)

yoda34

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2210 on: December 30, 2018, 03:51:25 PM »
As we are coming into the end of the year I thought I'd give an update. TLDR is I'm doing at least OMY.

Long version:

I quit my highly paid, highly stressful job in fiance a year ago to take an individual contributor role at a local company. Despite much lower pay was still on track to hit our number by this December. Haven't actually hit our final number all the way because of market shenanigans since October - still close enough though to go ahead quite and do our plans for the Great Loop. Two things have changed - one is we found out (despite years of trying and doc's saying it wasn't going to happen) that we were pregnant and our first child was born this year (6 months old now!). Also at my new job my boss and my boss's boss got fired and they asked me to take over and run the entire department with a healthy pay bump.

With the kid I'm now not sure what our expenses will be or how much it will add to our budget so I'm reluctant to quit until I have that figured out. So for now i'm taking the new role and continuing to add to the stash. We'll see how long this lasts.

This has been a great group and I've really enjoyed watching all of you accomplish something awesome. Best wishes to you all.

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2211 on: December 30, 2018, 10:25:52 PM »
@yoda34 That makes sense - especially since you really don't have an idea how much the baby will add to your expenses. On the good side, sounds like you like this new job a lot better.

I have been FIREd a month now and am feeling overall good about it. I have been struggling a bit with emotional issues and overall fatigue - likely related to DH's battle with cancer over the past 3 years. He's been done treatment for over 6 months now and overall prognosis is very positive (althoygh we won't get an all-clear for another year at least) but I guess I am still dealing with the fallout from it all.

Being FIREd doesn't change that I am dealing with all this stuff but I am glad I don't have to be at work all day to add to my stress and fatigue.

My sister in law don't particularly think it's a great idea that I FIREd though. They think it is a waste to retire to sit on my butt all day (of course they are the original frugalistas and only work now to have something to do every day). Today we were walking past my old office and my BIL started asking me about the likelihood of getting rehired there if I wanted. I have been maintaining good relations with my bosses so its possible (although openings are rare) but whatever.

On the good side, DH has been finding various unexpected streams of income lately so he's been comfortable with the money side of things (instead of panicky like I thought he might be - especially with the recent drop in the stock market).

Now that 2018 is just about over, how is everyone else in the 2018 cohort feeling about FIREd life? I am hoping you are all enjoying the freedom :) :)

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2212 on: December 30, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »
I must admit that the recent market correction or pullback did cause me some pause.  Going from 25x down to 22.5x right as we changed course is a bit disconcerting and I am glad I decided to go part time as opposed to retire completely.  I know, I know, history says that we would still be fine despite the pull back, but it doesn't change the fact that we are currently not at 25x.

Just for perspective part time for me is 2 days a week and I chose this because I enjoy what I do, and enjoy it now so much more when I don't have to do it that often.  We also chose this route because we are looking for a slightly fatter FIRE with the extra expenses devoted to experiences and travel but did not want to give up some of our happiness now to work full time an extra 1-2 years to get there when 3-4 years of part time will accomplish the same thing.

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2213 on: December 31, 2018, 01:21:41 AM »
Congratulations @yoda34 on your baby.  I'm sure any disappointment at not FIREing in 2018 is absolutely insignificant compared to the joy of having your child. 

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2214 on: December 31, 2018, 04:14:50 AM »
Hey are we all FIRED? Congrats to everyone. We are soon to be a past cohort...please post some followups.... and hope all the OMYs come to their senses in 2019.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2215 on: December 31, 2018, 05:01:12 AM »
A little over six months in to FIRE and life is great!

Moved to a LCOL area, bought a great house and our budget is holding strong.  My income from pension and VA compensation is higher than I planned, so that's been nice.

Last shave day, was the day of my retirement ceremony, 15 June.  Beard is coming along nicely.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #2216 on: December 31, 2018, 05:02:40 AM »
Before...

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2217 on: December 31, 2018, 05:03:05 AM »
O MY

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #2218 on: December 31, 2018, 08:14:27 AM »
It's been about 6 months since we FIRED.   Maybe I should say "FIRD" since it wasn't particularly "early".

It's been great in a host of ways.

Our time is much more our own and that's been simply awesome.   

We've done very well except for health-related issues.   My wife and I were sick for much of May.   My teeth have needed a lot of work and that's blown the budget.   My wife fell and sprained her ankle so she's been on crutches and in a wheel chair.   And my daughter (who has Downs Syndrome) slipped on the stairs this weekend and broke her leg, so now she's on a wheelchair.   I'm getting a real workout helping her in and out of her wheelchair.   If my back survives this I'll be much stronger for it.

So, health issues have made much of the last six months suck.

I can only say, I can't imagine how truly horrible it would have been if we had to try to go to work or if we couldn't pay our bills because we weren't working.  That would have turned a bad situation into a horrific one.

Sometimes being FI means you can roll with life's punches and still end up standing afterwards.

So even if not all FIRE stories start off full of beaches and sunshine, they are still better than being stuck in the workplace.

My wife's ankle and my daughter's leg will heal, my back will stop aching, and we'll have more fun outings next year instead of this one.

On the plus side, I've been enjoying getting some rental properties fixed up.   I was really enjoying painting the outside of rental #4 last week.  The weather was great, the work was soothing and I could start or quit pretty much when I wanted.   I'll start back up on it next week now that things are settling into a routine with my daughter.

My wife is getting around ok.   

My daughter has started walking again.   Slowly, and she's scared of falling.  She needs to wear an ankle brace for a few more weeks.   She gets tired easily after sitting instead of walking, so it may take another month to get her back up to speed.   

The big market volatility has been good for getting us used to market ups and downs.    Kind of like an innoculation.  $50k up, $50k down, it's all in a day's market wandering.   Good training for the bad times.

We'll finish rental #4 up in January.

Should be able to pick up a couple more rentals over the next couple of years.   I'll just keep looking for good deals.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2219 on: December 31, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »
Nice pics, DavisGang! If you go big in post-military life, maybe try a mohawk too? ;)

High-fives all around! Even the OMYers (hey, 2019 starts tomorrow!). And, happy first FIREd new year to the class of 2018!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #2220 on: December 31, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
Love the pictures(s) Davis!

Just under 11 weeks to go for this OMYer, but I am taking almost two of those 11 weeks off to be in Hawaii

ScreamingHeadGuy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2221 on: December 31, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
Congratulations to the 2018 cohort.  I hope you will keep coming back to give us updates and wisdom as your FI journeys continue. 

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2222 on: December 31, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »
O MY

Don't forget - 6 months is also an option! ;)

Yoda - totally understand with the baby thing. Fortunately until we needed to start paying for care due to both working, costs haven't been bad at all.

RunningWithScissors

• Stubble
« Reply #2223 on: December 31, 2018, 09:54:37 AM »
Am I the last FiREee of 2018?  Last day of work was December 20th. Since then, itís been a blur of Christmas celebrations and travel to our new home.  Have spent the last few days setting up the new house.

Doesnít feel real yet since itís a traditional holiday time.  Hopefully, itíll sink in after a few more weeks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

Cherry Lane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2224 on: December 31, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
Am I the last FiREee of 2018?  Last day of work was December 20th. Since then, itís been a blur of Christmas celebrations and travel to our new home.  Have spent the last few days setting up the new house.

Doesnít feel real yet since itís a traditional holiday time.  Hopefully, itíll sink in after a few more weeks.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!

I think you'll have the best new year ever, since it will start with not going to work!  Congratulations.

Calvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2225 on: December 31, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
Hi all! First off, congrats to all those who FIREd this year!!!

A long-belated update:

TLDR: 1-2 more years. Quit job and started a business ~3 years ago that's going really well. Planning to "semi-retire" in about a year.

Not too long after I joined the cohort I ended up quitting my job and started a business related to my industry. The first year was a little slow getting things off the ground but at this point I've more than replaced my income from my job, so that's pretty awesome!

Also, I moved closer to family last year and bought my first house this year, so a few big changes recently.

Now that the business is going well, my plan is to dial back my time in it by the end of 2019 so that I'm more-or-less "semi-retired." But, I plan to keep the business going for the foreseeable future since it's fairly flexible, is doing well and I mostly enjoy it.

That's it for me. Once I have more settled plans, I'll probably jump into the 2020 cohort.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
    • Cookie's Goals
« Reply #2226 on: December 31, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »
Congrats to everyone on team 2018!!

2Birds1Stone

• Magnum Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #2227 on: January 01, 2019, 06:16:02 AM »
Congrats everyone! Living vicariously through your experience has been very motivating and inspiring.

Trifele

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2228 on: January 01, 2019, 06:29:40 AM »
Congrats everyone! Living vicariously through your experience has been very motivating and inspiring.

+1!  Congrats Class of 2018!  Thanks for the motivation and I hope you all have a fantastic 2019. 

Any and all OMYers are welcome to join us over in the 2019 cohort.  Party's just getting started over there . . .

Loren Ver

• Bristles
« Reply #2229 on: January 01, 2019, 06:40:58 AM »
Many Congratulations to the 2018 success stories, whether you pulled the rip cord or re-evaluated and made a new plan.  You are so far ahead of the game it is worth taking a moment to reflect on all you have already accomplished!

May you have continued success in all that you set your minds to!

Loren

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2230 on: January 01, 2019, 08:00:08 AM »
Yesterday I closed down my office in Southfield, removed all my belongings and put the keys in the landlord's mailbox.
I'm now part time, with no more 80 mile round trip drives.

My part-time work will still generate income larger than my needs so I will still be saving money.
I also intend to SPEND MORE !!! Hello spinning classes, magazine/newspaper subscriptions, etc. etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 08:02:31 AM by DavidAnnArbor »

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2231 on: January 03, 2019, 02:03:27 PM »
Yesterday I closed down my office in Southfield, removed all my belongings and put the keys in the landlord's mailbox.

My part-time work will still generate income larger than my needs so I will still be saving money.
I also intend to SPEND MORE !!! Hello spinning classes, magazine/newspaper subscriptions, etc. etc.
I rather like the fact that as the last member of the cohort you got to turn out the lights!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2232 on: January 03, 2019, 04:16:18 PM »

I rather like the fact that as the last member of the cohort you got to turn out the lights!

Haha good point. I turned off the lights metaphorically and literally.

elaine amj

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2233 on: January 04, 2019, 08:53:57 AM »

That's so exciting! Especially ditching that commute!!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #2234 on: January 05, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »
Congrats 2018!  I'm sorry I couldn't join you, but almost six figures of savings for ten weeks of work was too much to pass up.  41 working days left after vacation/holidays, ect

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #2235 on: January 05, 2019, 10:39:36 AM »
Congratulations Cohort of 2018! We have successfully battled OMY and a fluctuating market to make the plunge. As someone who has done a full year now, I can attest that it just looks harder, but is actually easier.

@davisgang90. looks like beards are the in thing for FIRE. I've grown one, though not as majestic as yours!

2018 started with a bang with FIRE and ended with a whimper (sickness) for me. I returned from a 9-day trip to Mexico City and got Guillaume-Barre syndrome and spent 4 weeks in the hospital. Both Christmas and New Years in hospital :-(
I am doing much better now, got home a couple of days ago. I have a rigorous schedule of physical therapy and hope to be back to normal in a couple of months or so.

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2236 on: January 05, 2019, 10:57:42 AM »
Congratulations Cohort of 2018! We have successfully battled OMY and a fluctuating market to make the plunge. As someone who has done a full year now, I can attest that it just looks harder, but is actually easier.

@davisgang90. looks like beards are the in thing for FIRE. I've grown one, though not as majestic as yours!

2018 started with a bang with FIRE and ended with a whimper (sickness) for me. I returned from a 9-day trip to Mexico City and got Guillaume-Barre syndrome and spent 4 weeks in the hospital. Both Christmas and New Years in hospital :-(
I am doing much better now, got home a couple of days ago. I have a rigorous schedule of physical therapy and hope to be back to normal in a couple of months or so.

What a way to start your FIRE year. Best wishes for 2019 and I hope you will get well this year.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2237 on: January 05, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »
Congratulations Cohort of 2018! Best wishes to all in FIRE.

Here is the final list for this cohort.

01/01/18  CowboyAndIndian (at 59) CONFIRMED
01/04/18  Gimesalot (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/06/18  Monkey Uncle (at 49) CONFIRMED
01/26/18  PizzaSteve (at 53) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  patches (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  Wintergreen78 CONFIRMED
01/31/18  MomCPA  CONFIRMED
02/01/18  DTaggart (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/05/18  Mrbeardedbigbucks CONFIRMED
02/09/18  JLTinVA (at 42) CONFIRMED
02/14/18  Gimesalot DH (at 40) CONFIRMED
02/28/18  Caoineag (at 36) CONFIRMED
03/01/18  Clean Shaven (at 45) CONFIRMED Part Time
03/02/18  brooklynguy (at 37) CONFIRMED
03/07/18  Aegishjalmur (at 35) CONFIRMED
03/16/18  Cherry Lane (at 43) CONFIRMED
03/27/18  Mrs. Honeyfill CONFIRMED
03/28/18  Target2018 CONFIRMED
03/28/18  homestead neohio (at 39) CONFIRMED
03/30/18  Moxie (at 58) CONFIRMED
03/31/18  msilenus (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/01/18  Mother Fussbudget (at 56) CONFIRMED
04/03/18  lostformars (at 38) CONFIRMED
04/04/18  OzBeach (at 54) CONFIRMED
04/20/18  moneytaichi CONFIRMED
04/25/18  Modernaimend DH (at 39) CONFIRMED
04/25/18  ZiziPB (at 50) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  NinetyFour (at 56) CONFIRMED
04/26/18  SwordGuy (at 60) CONFIRMED
04/27/18  poppydog and DW CONFIRMED
04/27/18  andkar (at 41) CONFIRMED
05/01/18  wordnerd and DH (at 30 and 36) CONFIRMED
05/03/18  Modernaimend (at 35) CONFIRMED
05/08/18  SwordGuy DW (SwordGuy isn't saying.   He wants to live.) CONFIRMED
05/11/18  Desert (at 52) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  CheapskateWife (at 42) and CheapskateHubs (at 49) CONFIRMED
05/25/18  Gyosho (at 55) CONFIRMED
06/01/18  CodeZed (at 40) CONFIRMED
06/01/18  Markbike528CBX (at 53.5) CONFIRMED
06/01/18  Will (at 53) CONFIRMED
06/01/18  step_away CONFIRMED
06/08/18  SwissMister CONFIRMED (at 50)
06/13/18  Mr Mark (at 54) CONFIRMED
06/15/18  DavisGang90 (at 49) CONFIRMED
06/29/18  Acastus (at 56) CONFIRMED
06/29/18  aperture (at 56) CONFIRMED
06/30/18  HenryDavid CONFIRMED
07/06/18  Honeyfill  (at 60)  CONFIRMED
07/09/18  CHF (at 51) CONFIRMED
08/03/18  mjr (at 52) CONFIRMED
08/03/18  Mogadishu (at 40) CONFIRMED
08/09/18  cap396 (at 46) CONFIRMED
08/10/18  FernFree (at 49) CONFIRMED
08/17/18  sui generis (at 41) CONFIRMED
08/24/18  sol (at 41) CONFIRMED
08/31/18  RiverTop (at 55) CONFIRMED
09/01/18  Vegasgirl (at 49) CONFIRMED
09/28/18  Richmond2020 (at 43) CONFIRMED
09/30/18  SwissMiss (at 50) CONFIRMED
09/30/18  JerseyGrrrl (at 48) CONFIRMED
10/05/18  Jim2001 CONFIRMED
10/05/18  cerat0n1a CONFIRMED
10/15/18  EnjoyIt  CONFIRMED Part Time.
10/24/18  PhilB (at 52)  CONFIRMED
10/29/18  Happy CONFIRMED
10/31/18  Mr Griz CONFIRMED
10/31/18  Irishtache CONFIRMED
11/02/18  TartanTallulah (at 54) CONFIRMED
11/02/18  LifePhaseTwo (at 54) CONFIRMED
11/06/18  Kris CONFIRMED
11/30/18  elaine amj CONFIRMED
12/21/18  RunningWithScissors CONFIRMED
12/31/18  DavidAnnArbor (at 53) CONFIRMED

MIA
randomgiraffe (Inactive since 2/2017)
Minnesota_mom (Inactive since 2/2017)
HappyMargo (Inactive since 6/2017)
NorCalistache (Inactive since 8/2017)
DeSteeg (Inactive since 12/2015)
Agent Rosenflower (Inactive since 2/2018)
FLStache (Inactive since 3/2018)
PKate and DH (Inactive since 5/2018)
dbtx (Inactive since 7/2018)
Alim Nassor (Cannot find in members list)
SnidelyWhiplashStache (Cannot find in members list)
Sofa King (Cannot find in members list)
Michread (Cannot find in members list)
Badblackgirl (No date provided)
Omalley (No date provided)
AussieGirl (No date provided)
BackAndForth (No date provided)

OMY/2MY/3MY etc.
ChasesFish  OMY
RetireAbroadAt35  05/??/18, now OMY.
JumboShrimp OMY
Gooki   2MY or 3MY
MaybeBabyMustache OMY
Blindsquirrel OMY
Ottawa OMY
LateStarter OMY
Fire1018  ?MY [Succumbs to golden handcuffs ;-) ]
Fresh Bread OMY
pecunia OMY
MiserlyMiser OMY
SugarMountain OMY
yoda34 OMY
Calvin OMY
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 11:01:36 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

sui generis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2238 on: January 05, 2019, 12:16:09 PM »

OMG, so glad you are ok and have a good prognosis!  My fiance almost died of this when he was 2 and I've heard the recovery is very difficult the older you are when you get it.  Best wishes for your physical therapy and all the hard work you are going to put into it. 

Thanks for the update on the final cohort list, too!

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2239 on: January 06, 2019, 08:15:19 AM »
What a crazy twist of fate! Best wishes for a complete recovery @CowboyAndIndian!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2240 on: January 06, 2019, 04:59:11 PM »
I wish you a complete and speedy recovery CowboyandIndian

Please keep us informed.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2241 on: January 06, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »

May your myelin regrow and your muscles strengthen in the new year.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2242 on: January 07, 2019, 08:22:47 AM »
Thank you for your kind wishes for my recovery @Linda_Norway , @sui generis , @Dicey , @DavidAnnArbor , @EnjoyIt .

The prognosis is good but I have a long way to climb out of this hole. I am doing Physical and Occupational Therapy and later on when the myelin sheaths regrow, I  might have to have vision therapy to get rid of my double vision.

I am in good spirits, thanks to family, friends and my friends on MMM.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2243 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:55 AM »
I read that Guillaume-Barre syndrome is an autoimmune disorder.
Maybe getting probiotics will help the immune system.

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2244 on: January 07, 2019, 04:24:06 PM »
It's good to know that you're keeping your spirits up CowboyAndIndian.  One of the real downsides of FIRE, that they don't tell you about, is that every time you are sick it's on your own time!  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2245 on: January 11, 2019, 06:47:58 AM »
Congratulations Cohort of 2018! Best wishes to all in FIRE.

Here is the final list for this cohort.

Do you differentiate between those who are living off their savings in the sense advocated on this site from those who stop working while a spouse continues earning a sizable income?     Claiming FIRE is one thing but when your spouse keeps his/her job and it pays the bills, that is completely different. Not much freedom to do things as a couple.  And no need to actually have the money to retire since someone else has a healthy income.

Half my household isn't working at the moment, can I claim FIRE?  If so, we retired a long time ago.

Dicey

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2246 on: January 11, 2019, 07:12:59 AM »
Do you differentiate between those who are living off their savings in the sense advocated on this site from those who stop working while a spouse continues earning a sizable income?     Claiming FIRE is one thing but when your spouse keeps his/her job and it pays the bills, that is completely different. Not much freedom to do things as a couple.  And no need to actually have the money to retire since someone else has a healthy income.

Half my household isn't working at the moment, can I claim FIRE?  If so, we retired a long time ago.
If the other half of your household has earned/saved/invested enough to support you plural, even if you singular stopped working today, it's safe to call them FIRE.

PhilB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2247 on: January 11, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »

If the other half of your household has earned/saved/invested enough to support you plural, even if you singular stopped working today, it's safe to call them FIRE.
Yep.  It's perfectly reasonable to have an FI couple where one spouse is FIRE but the other chooses to still work.  If the household isn't FI without the salary of the worker then generally no - but it gets complicated if an already FIRED individual becomes part of a couple with a non FI person...

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2248 on: January 11, 2019, 09:10:21 AM »
Our accounts are joint, so I guess we are retired.  Only nothing has changed!

HenryDavid

• Bristles
« Reply #2249 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
Well into post-job life now and things are assuming a clearer shape.
Very, very part-time freelancing, purely for fun and out of curiosity (maybe 12 hours/month). At double my peak hourly rate when I worked.
Settling into a routine with creative work. So far so good. Music and language development goals still lagging though--needs more structure.
Maxed out holiday time with "chosen family" (friends) and had a decent visit with bio family.
Far better rested, a tad fitter, enjoying the limitless horizons--but no big rush to make enormous changes, i.e. move someplace new.
Spending on autopilot at road-tested levels.

And finally . .. .. much more outdoor time with spouse, mid-day, midweek, while the winter sun is shining. This is probably the biggest benefit so far. Good for both of us, relaxed, and free of course.