Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 298889 times)

sui generis

• Bristles
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1800 on: July 17, 2018, 11:40:43 AM »
+1 and congrats, @PhilB.  That sounds like a better plan.  I'd love a transition like that!

PhilB

• Bristles
« Reply #1801 on: July 18, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »
+1 and congrats, @PhilB.  That sounds like a better plan.  I'd love a transition like that!
Thanks.  Certainly less stressful than your attempt to get 42.5 billable hours a week in your 'run down'!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1802 on: July 19, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »
Having just read up on the last few pages, I'm just giddy with excitement and anticipation!  SO MUCH FUN to read these retirement notice posts!! I'm in the 2019 cohort (May 7, 2019), so I'm just 9.5 months away, which seems SO CLOSE and yet SO FAR at the same time! Feeling totally inspired after reading about you 2018 finishers!

TartanTallulah

• Bristles
« Reply #1803 on: July 20, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »
My resignation letter has gone in and has been accepted. I finish on 31/10/18.

I've been asked to do Just One More Month, and I've declined because I know if I agreed my current colleagues would stop looking for other solutions, and they need to look for other solutions.

I'm not particularly happy about the manner and timing of my departure, but logically I know that if you hear a speeding train the first thing you should do is get off the tracks unless you're suicidal or a martyr, and I'm neither. And I'm very much looking forward to not having to do quite a long list of specific things any more.

I intend to be an exemplary colleague until the minute I walk out the door for the last time.

honeyfill

• Stubble
« Reply #1804 on: July 20, 2018, 09:51:11 AM »
My resignation letter has gone in and has been accepted. I finish on 31/10/18.

I've been asked to do Just One More Month, and I've declined because I know if I agreed my current colleagues would stop looking for other solutions, and they need to look for other solutions.

I'm not particularly happy about the manner and timing of my departure, but logically I know that if you hear a speeding train the first thing you should do is get off the tracks unless you're suicidal or a martyr, and I'm neither. And I'm very much looking forward to not having to do quite a long list of specific things any more.

I intend to be an exemplary colleague until the minute I walk out the door for the last time.

Great News TT,
You can do 3 more months standing on your head.  Now it is time to prioritize.  Dump all your non productive busy-work projects, don't accept anything that wont be complete before Oct 31 and you will be twice as productive and twice as happy!!

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1805 on: July 20, 2018, 01:01:49 PM »

08/01/18  SugarMountain

Have not submitted my resignation.  Current status is OMM (or maybe OMW) mode, depending on my mood. Hopefully doesn't turn into full blown OMY. Still working through the emotional side of this more than anything.

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #1806 on: July 20, 2018, 01:51:15 PM »
Congrats TT !!!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1807 on: July 20, 2018, 09:52:42 PM »
Had my meeting with my manager today & advised her that I planned to leave the company. She was lovely & offered me a variety of other options (none of which are typically available). Including: part time, a sabbatical, 80%, a reduced scope, etc. It was a great chat & we both agreed that we would take time to think about what comes next & any possible options that would make sense. I've discovered that I can take a sabbatical of up to 8 weeks (unpaid), but my stock would continue to vest. My options are worth about $10k/month, so this would be huge. I'll continue to work with her on a plan that will either result in: a sabbatical followed by part time work, a sabbatical followed by me quitting, or a longer transition plan followed by a sabbatical. I have a great manager, and am very happy to have the conversation done so we can now be transparent about future plans.

Fresh Bread

• Handlebar Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1808 on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:07 PM »
Current plan for me is, drop to a strict 10 hr work week at the end of September so I can crack on with other projects and I'll aim to sell my business asap after that. Even though I'll be working hardly any hours on the business I won't feel retired til it's totally off my plate, but I'm not sure how long it will take.

Hubby will finish full-time work at the end of Sept and will seek to get a 2 days a week gig at the same place - he's on a contract but has asked to stay on, details yet to be worked out. He's going to try to talk to his manager soon. If that doesn't work he'll take a break and then look for something closer to home and part time just to keep him busy and his brain active.

So hopefully we will both be part-time from Oct 1 and full FIRE for me might eventually happen as late as 2019. I don't know if hubby will ever actually retire as such but if he's part-time and can take a decent amount of leave, we will get to do everything we want to anyway, so all is well.   

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1809 on: Today at 11:57:56 AM »
3 weeks since FIRE. I am on the road with my 13 year old daughter. We are headed into Acadia NP, camping for the next 5 days. It has been great to have this time with her. A big reason to avoid OMY is that my kids are going to be out of the house. Already the oldest is out more than in and I don't want to miss the chance at sharing more of our lives while there is opportunity.

I am starting to feel retired. I am sleeping well and I am not having any free floating anxiety.

We will be on the road about three more weeks. I will write a more complete update then. Best wishes to you all, aperture.

Able was I, ere I saw Elba.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1810 on: Today at 12:47:52 PM »
3 weeks since FIRE. I am on the road with my 13 year old daughter. We are headed into Acadia NP, camping for the next 5 days. It has been great to have this time with her. A big reason to avoid OMY is that my kids are going to be out of the house. Already the oldest is out more than in and I don't want to miss the chance at sharing more of our lives while there is opportunity.

I am starting to feel retired. I am sleeping well and I am not having any free floating anxiety.

We will be on the road about three more weeks. I will write a more complete update then. Best wishes to you all, aperture.

Loved your update, aperture. Enjoy your time with your family!

wordnerd

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1811 on: Today at 01:23:50 PM »
Dear 2018 Cohort,

For those of who have already FIRE'ed and those who are going to FIRE soon, I highly recommend that you read the following thread and an article by Dr. Doom

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/difficult-fire-decompressiontransition-anyone/

https://livingafi.com/2015/11/06/done-detoxing/

I am nearing the 6 full months of FIRE and there is a lot of truth in the posts and especially Dr. Doom's article.

Thanks for posting this. The afi link is totally apt to what I'm going through right now. I've been toying with going back to work, and the post was spot on to the underlying reasons why.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1812 on: Today at 04:51:36 PM »
    Is adding 2% to your stash worth 8 more months at megacorp? We are FI now but another bonus and LTI vesting would be nice. KInda thinking of it, kinda just thinking of turning in my notice ASAP and just retiring.
Losing interest in the whole work thing