Author Topic: 2018 FIRE cohort  (Read 174029 times)

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
Re: 2018 FIRE cohort
« Reply #1150 on: January 28, 2018, 11:33:17 AM »
I gave 7 1/2 month's notice and found my replacement for them.

But I've worked places where 2 weeks would have been the maximum I would give them.   

If I were worried about management tossing me out the door early or cutting my bonus, I wouldn't give extra notice.  Given that the max my "bonus" would be was $100, and I'm FIRING 7 1/2 months later than I have to in order not to FIRE that much earlier than my spouse, getting replaced early for doing the right thing would have been a bonus. :)

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1151 on: January 28, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
Forgot to mention, I went the extra mile for my client.  My current employer deserves no loyalty beyond the bare minimum expected of any employee, i.e., do your job and don't cause problems.

aperture

• Bristles
« Reply #1152 on: January 28, 2018, 09:12:12 PM »
i gave 8 months notice because there is a hiring cycle for my profession and it would take that long to replace me.  Of course my bosses have sat on their thumbs and not yet taken needed steps to replace me, so it looks like i could have skipped the early notice.
Able was I, ere I saw Elba.

chasesfish

• Handlebar Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #1153 on: January 29, 2018, 04:32:42 AM »
Ugh, I'm still reeling from a two separate work "surprises" on Friday that throws a huge wrench into my idea of coasting through 2018.  My top employee is leaving for a lateral move at another company because of a lot of issues outside my control.  I'm happy for her leaving, even though I don't think it meets what her long term goals.  Its going to create a much more painful existence for me.  Second that with a preview of the comp plan we're paid on for 2018 and the likelihood of working harder for less in this final year...

Eh...I have commenced pulling a lever I've held off on for a long time, alternate arrangement.  Work remote in a different role, a sabbatical (that would allow me to collect some deferred comp), or requesting a layoff.  The third would be a cartwheels for weeks moment, but we'll see if any of this can happen.  None may and I just quietly take it and deliver a one month retirement notice in just over 4 months.
Check out our journal, counting down the days until I Stop Ironing Shirts

We hit $1mil by 33 and will retire at 36!  Stop by over at my site Stop Ironing Shirts

Target2018

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1154 on: January 29, 2018, 07:52:25 AM »
One thing I don't get is I'm seeing a lot of people give really long notices.  What's up with that?  Maybe I'm a jerk, but nobody I work with or for is going to know I'm leaving until 2 weeks before I do.
I agree with SugarMountain.  I have 2 months to go and while some friends know about my impending departure, I have no intention of telling the boss until I have my year-end bonus in hand and then I will give 2 weeks notice.  I hope to hit my 30th anniversary with the company with my end date just for fun.  The countdown continues...

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
  • 58 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1155 on: January 29, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
I teach in higher ed, so it's expected that we give lots of notice so our departments can adjust course schedules, do searches for new hires, etc.  Although one colleague up and quit right at the start of this semester...  Probably burned some bridges, but maybe he didn't care.
My Journal

Countdown to Freedom:  58 days; 8 weeks of classes; 24 days of classes

honeyfill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1156 on: January 29, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
I just got this notice from HR:
"In addition, rather than having a match each pay period, any match will be paid annually in a lump sum by the end of the January following the calendar year. This benefit rewards loyal employees who choose to remain at Megacorp with an increased match formula. To be eligible for any match for a given year, participants generally need to remain actively employed by megacorp through and including December 15 of that year. "

I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but this burns me up.  There is no way I am working to Dec 15.  Do any of you have a similar rule for your 401K's?  this just makes me want to retire even earlier now! I was seriously considering delaying to June or July but now I'm back to my April 2 date. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:16:14 AM by honeyfill »

honeyfill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1157 on: January 29, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
"In addition, rather than having a match each pay period, any match will be paid annually in a lump sum by the end of the January following the calendar year. This benefit rewards loyal employees who choose to remain at Megacorp with an increased match formula. To be eligible for any match for a given year, participants generally need to remain actively employed by Megacorp through and including December 15 of that year. "

I'm not sure if this is the place to post it but this burns me up.  There is no way I am working to Dec 15.  Do any of you have a similar rule for your 401K's?  this just makes me want to retire even earlier now! I was seriously considering delaying to June or July but now I'm back to my April 2 date.

Just dug a little deeper into the policy.  It is not effective until April 6 this year.  It's like they took my fire date into account when they wrote it!   So now it is really official, I am retiring the first week of April.  Put me down for April 6th! (I can suffer 4 more days for the extra  match)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 11:07:20 AM by honeyfill »

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1158 on: January 29, 2018, 11:02:20 AM »
Hi @honeyfill .  I'm not sure I'd advertise my employer name like that, may want to redact it.

I'm not surprised to hear of an employer making this change, and it seriously sucks for anyone who is leaving and is 100% vested in their employer match.  It is a benefit they choose to give and changing the rules can save them tons of money by not providing the benefit when people leave the company.  Most annual bonuses are paid out this way, only if you complete the prior calendar year and remain employed at the time the bonus is paid (March for my company).   I am happily still getting matched each pay and would be seriously pissed if they changed the rules on me in my last year.

wordnerd

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1159 on: January 29, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
One thing I don't get is I'm seeing a lot of people give really long notices.  What's up with that?  Maybe I'm a jerk, but nobody I work with or for is going to know I'm leaving until 2 weeks before I do.
I agree with SugarMountain.  I have 2 months to go and while some friends know about my impending departure, I have no intention of telling the boss until I have my year-end bonus in hand and then I will give 2 weeks notice.  I hope to hit my 30th anniversary with the company with my end date just for fun.  The countdown continues...

I must work in an unusually rumor-prone place, but if I told anyone at my work (even friends) that I was leaving, the whole organization would know within 36 hours :)

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1160 on: January 29, 2018, 11:14:21 AM »
Hi @honeyfill .  I'm not sure I'd advertise my employer name like that, may want to redact it.

I'm not surprised to hear of an employer making this change, and it seriously sucks for anyone who is leaving and is 100% vested in their employer match.  It is a benefit they choose to give and changing the rules can save them tons of money by not providing the benefit when people leave the company.  Most annual bonuses are paid out this way, only if you complete the prior calendar year and remain employed at the time the bonus is paid (March for my company).   I am happily still getting matched each pay and would be seriously pissed if they changed the rules on me in my last year.

The thing is that this sucks for current employees too because they miss out on dollar cost averaging throughout the year.

@honeyfill congratulations on setting an April date.  It will be here before you know it.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1161 on: January 29, 2018, 11:23:07 AM »

The thing is that this sucks for current employees too because they miss out on dollar cost averaging throughout the year.

@honeyfill congratulations on setting an April date.  It will be here before you know it.

Absolutely!  I was pissed when my employer delayed purchases by 2 weeks when making payroll changes between medium corp and megacorp during acquisition.  Then I found out that 401k purchases are further delayed by another week due to some stall between megacorp and 401k provider.  I used to get paid every other Friday for the two weeks I just finished working, and the 401k purchase occurred on that payday, which was awesome.   But 3 weeks is nothing compared to 11 months.

Glad this is not going to affect honeyfill.  I do feel bad for the co-workers, though.

SugarMountain

• Bristles
« Reply #1162 on: January 29, 2018, 01:09:51 PM »
"In addition, rather than having a match each pay period, any match will be paid annually in a lump sum by the end of the January following the calendar year. This benefit rewards loyal employees who choose to remain at Megacorp with an increased match formula. To be eligible for any match for a given year, participants generally need to remain actively employed by megacorp through and including December 15 of that year. "

A company I worked for in the early 90s had a similar policy, although it was 6 months, they paid the match July 1 & Jan 1. 

Which reminds me of one of my shrewder moves.  I was moving out of state, but my company was just starting to dabble in remote work, so I said, "I'm moving to Denver, but I'd be happy to keep working remotely," which they agreed to.  We did a couple month trial run and the infrastructure to support it really wasn't there, so at the end of October my boss said it wasn't going to work long term and he'd like to end it at the end of November.  I countered with, "why don't I just finish out the year."  He was perfectly happy with that.  Boom.  Got my 401k match, year end bonus (I was shocked by that one), and the kicker was you accrued vacation annually so I got my 4 weeks of vacation by being on the payroll 12/31, which they paid me for in my last check.  All told it worked out to almost 3 months additional pay (+actual pay for working in December.)  I did a lot of skiing that winter before finding a job in the spring.  I guess that was my first mini-retirement.  I'm hoping for something more permanent this time around.

cerat0n1a

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1163 on: January 29, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
Another one with a contractual obligation to give 3 months notice. I've seen cases where both parties have mutually agreed to waive the requirement and have a shorter notice period. I've also seen people being on "gardening leave" for the 3 months - getting paid but not having to come to work. I know the day I plan to quit, but I won't know exactly when my last day at work will be until we have these conversations.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1164 on: January 30, 2018, 09:03:38 AM »
I gave notice yesterday.  The effusive reaction I received from all the partners in my practice group has completely wrecked my sense of humility.  After the outpouring of praise and affection and blank check offers to get me to stay, I'm going to need to spend my entire FIRE decompression phase trying to deflate my overinflated ego.  Even the worldwide stock market is tanking on the news of my exit from the workforce.

I still need to firm up an official end date, but February 28th is still looking likely.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1165 on: January 30, 2018, 09:12:44 AM »
I gave notice yesterday.  The effusive reaction I received from all the partners in my practice group has completely wrecked my sense of humility.  After the outpouring of praise and affection and blank check offers to get me to stay, I'm going to need to spend my entire FIRE decompression phase trying to deflate my overinflated ego.  Even the worldwide stock market is tanking on the news of my exit from the workforce.

I still need to firm up an official end date, but February 28th is still looking likely.

Congrats, @brooklynguy!  I'm sure all the praise and affection is deserved. 

As far as the markets, I'm ok with a little buying opportunity, just don't wreck it for the rest of us by triggering a years long recession!  But I suppose that is out of your control... 

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
  • 58 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1166 on: January 30, 2018, 09:24:50 AM »
Congratulations, @brooklynguy !!
My Journal

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1167 on: January 30, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »

Has all the praise made you reconsider whether you want to stay an additional year?

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #1168 on: January 30, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »
Great way to exit Brooklynguy! Congrats!
Mr. Mark

$25 free for your hotel stays by using this link to join  Booking.com https://www.booking.com/s/27_8/ef1fdaad

Frugal-Investor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1169 on: January 30, 2018, 11:21:57 AM »
Just a brief note from the class of FIRE 2013.

I absolutely love how the cohort of 2018 uses the word 'downshift' to talk about options that are in between working flat out and yanking back on the Lazy-Boy chair lever. I've seen my partner learn to love work again when it is a day a week as a fractional IT director for a local non-profit. Its also quite cool that you guys are doing earnest planning but not expecting all the lights to be green before you FIRE. And, great use of descriptive English and metaphors (or similes?) like popping the chute, hitting the exit, pulling the lever.

And one comment, looking back to when I was deciding to FIRE. I was concerned with whether my assets were sufficient and what to spend when. I understand now that the financial lingo and methods around scaffolding assets is purposefully and needlessly complex. Financially, the most important thing for me and partner has been having a simple financial strategy (spend on what we value, adjust spending as needed, preserve tax-sheltered assets). Having free time, an analytical bent, creativity and willingness to be curious solves for all else.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1170 on: January 30, 2018, 01:16:19 PM »

Congrats on making it official!
"Take this job and shove it" - David Allan Coe

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1171 on: January 30, 2018, 03:04:01 PM »
Thanks, all, for the well-wishes.

Has all the praise made you reconsider whether you want to stay an additional year?

Not for a minute, but it is comforting to know that I theoretically have a standing offer to return, even though I expect to never exercise it.

poppydog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1172 on: January 30, 2018, 03:13:59 PM »
Well done Brooklynguy, it feels great having given notice doesnít it? 

PD

FiveSigmas

• Bristles
« Reply #1173 on: January 30, 2018, 10:13:02 PM »
Adding in my congratulations, BG. I've always enjoyed your contributions to the discussions here -- hopefully they'll keep coming!

Any epic plans for the near future?

happy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1174 on: January 31, 2018, 02:29:33 AM »
Congrats BrooklynGuy and to everyone else pulling the plug/resigned so far. My 2018 date might be slipping from my reach due to my work circumstances, but nothing is definite yet, so I will optimistically stay on the list at this point.
Journalling at Happy Aussie Downshifter

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1175 on: January 31, 2018, 09:03:05 AM »
Any epic plans for the near future?

Not really.  I plan to join my wife in full-time parenthood and generally bum around for a while.  We're planning a family road trip across the country for the summer.  I'm not expecting to commit any heroics, but if events sufficient to qualify that brief odyssey as epic happen to transpire I'll be sure to let you all know.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1176 on: January 31, 2018, 09:05:05 AM »
Congratulations @brooklynguy .  A cross country road trip sounds pretty epic!

Patches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1177 on: January 31, 2018, 10:01:31 AM »
Today is officially my last get-up!  Kinda have some nervous energy going here... but plan on a several-beer lunch with friends and then leaving early to look at piece of industrial property with my business partner. 

Regardless, no more coming to the office for money... what a joy this is.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1178 on: January 31, 2018, 12:01:30 PM »
 Yay for @Patches !  Good luck with the industrial property.  Keep us updated!

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1179 on: January 31, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
Thanks, all, for the well-wishes.

Not for a minute, but it is comforting to know that I theoretically have a standing offer to return, even though I expect to never exercise it.
Proud to go roughly at the same time with you BG, as well as @Patches and the rest of the early 2018 gang.  Have enjoyed your posts.
All posts are opinions of the author subject to independent verification by the reader.  No representations of fact are asserted regarding commercial products or services.

Wintergreen78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1180 on: January 31, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »
Done! Had beers with coworkers last night, wrapped things up in the office today, turned in my keys, and left the office for the last time! My alarm clock has been turned off.

Now Iím going to meet a friend at the gym and head out for barbecue this evening.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1181 on: January 31, 2018, 05:09:08 PM »
Ya'll are not helping me keep my head down.

I'm desperately trying to resist the urge to jump early just because the market giveth so generously as of late.  I've hit the required dollar figure ahead of schedule.   I could be celebrating with you instead of inefficiently slogging through these TPS reports.

There are lots of moving parts to this puzzle.  Announcing your retirement publicly freezes a lot of them in place, and generally not to your advantage.  I think I'm stalling, for now.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1182 on: January 31, 2018, 05:58:03 PM »
Today is officially my last get-up!  Kinda have some nervous energy going here... but plan on a several-beer lunch with friends and then leaving early to look at piece of industrial property with my business partner. 

Regardless, no more coming to the office for money... what a joy this is.

Congratulations, Patches!  Welcome to the ranks of the FIREd.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1183 on: January 31, 2018, 05:58:48 PM »
Done! Had beers with coworkers last night, wrapped things up in the office today, turned in my keys, and left the office for the last time! My alarm clock has been turned off.

Now Iím going to meet a friend at the gym and head out for barbecue this evening.

Congrats, Wintergreen!  Welcome to the club!

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1184 on: January 31, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »

Way to go!

SwordGuy

• Magnum Stache
    • Flipping Fayetteville
« Reply #1185 on: January 31, 2018, 09:51:58 PM »

I'm desperately trying to resist the urge to jump early just because the market giveth so generously as of late.  I've hit the required dollar figure ahead of schedule.   I could be celebrating with you instead of inefficiently slogging through these TPS reports.

There are lots of moving parts to this puzzle.  Announcing your retirement publicly freezes a lot of them in place, and generally not to your advantage.  I think I'm stalling, for now.

If the market drops 30% for 2 years, have you still reached your number?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: January 31, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

Does it go back up again afterwards?

You sound like my partner, who recently asked me "what if the market drops by half and then never recovers?"  Um, then we're living in a radioactive wasteland and I will defend you from the zombies hoards?  Because that has literally never happened before and would be some crazy shit. 

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #1187 on: January 31, 2018, 11:00:46 PM »

You sound like my partner, who recently asked me "what if the market drops by half and then never recovers?" 

Yeah, I've been having the same discussion with my DW. So a few days ago I wrote up a pretty professional looking financial status report, with 5 year history and 1 year projection of all our assets, pie chart with a break down by main asset type, exposure to and sensitivity of the 'stash to (1) a 30% drop in equities (2) 20% drop in our key RE market (3) sensitivity to key exchange rate. Also included a section of current and post-FIRE target asset allocation, the high-level strategy to how the 'stash will throw off income, and how the plan is (a)designed to mitigate all the financial risks we are exposed to & (b) the main residual risks and what happens if they come about.

Did it work? Sort of. It certainly helped, but the media and the financial industry have done a wonderful job making people who don't really want to learn about Bogle or the Trinity study feel that the stock market is 'just the same as gambling' and that there is always a significant risk that 'the market can collapse'. In return I've agreed that one of the mitigations will be to have about 2 years of expenses in an FDIC insured CD ladder. That did the trick, and is probably a darn good idea as well.
Mr. Mark

$25 free for your hotel stays by using this link to join  Booking.com https://www.booking.com/s/27_8/ef1fdaad

chasesfish

• Handlebar Stache
    • Years in the making, I created a journal!
« Reply #1188 on: February 01, 2018, 04:59:41 AM »

It depends, is my number based on cash flow or on assets?   In 2009-2012 I could buy plenty of real estate exceeding the 1% rule and there were some REITs without much debt paying 10%...so yeah, I think the number is still there.  High asset prices look nice on paper, but monthly/quarterly cash returns haven't caught up.

3.55% Net Worth Gain in January...
Check out our journal, counting down the days until I Stop Ironing Shirts

We hit $1mil by 33 and will retire at 36!  Stop by over at my site Stop Ironing Shirts

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #1189 on: February 01, 2018, 06:10:11 AM »
Congrats Patches and Wintergreen !!! I'm w/Sol here - how am I supposed to make it through to FIRE the end of the year with all this going on !!!! It is fun to watch though !!

PhilB

• Stubble
« Reply #1190 on: February 01, 2018, 06:59:05 AM »
Congratulations to our latest graduates!
MrsB told her employer yesterday that she's off in October so that's one bridge burned.  One of her colleagues is taking a 1 year break when they adopt a child and so MrsB felt she had to own up before anyone got too far into the process of re-allocating her job amongst the team.  Celebratory cocktails were duly consumed last night.
I'm keeping my powder dry for another few months whilst I decide whether to make a clean break or offer to do a little bit of very part time for a while.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #1191 on: February 01, 2018, 07:01:16 AM »
Congratulations patches and Wintergreen78.

MomCPA, any update? Will PM her.

Removed FIBy30(absent from 9/2017)  and PrePube (absent from 4/2017)

01/01/18  CowboyAndIndian (at 59) CONFIRMED
01/04/18  Gimesalot (at 33) CONFIRMED
01/06/18  Monkey Uncle (at 49) CONFIRMED
01/26/18  PizzaSteve (at 53) CONFIRMED
01/31/18  patches CONFIRMED
01/31/18  Wintergreen78 CONFIRMED
01/31/18  MomCPA
02/01/18  DTaggart
02/09/18  JLTinVA (at 42)
02/16/18  Gimesalot DH (at 40)
02/26/18  Aegishjalmur (at 35)
02/28/18  brooklynguy (at 37)
02/28/18  Caoineag (at 36)
03/16/18  Cherry Lane
03/31/18  homestead neohio
03/31/18  Mrbeardedbigbucks
03/31/18  ZiziPB (at 50)
03/31/18  DavidAnnArbor (at 52) (Won't renew my office lease)
03/??/18  Badblackgirl
03/??/18  Clean Shaven
03/??/18  Sofa King
03/??/18  MiserlyMiser
03/??/18  Acastus
04/01/18  Mrs. Honeyfill
04/02/18  Honeyfill  (at 60)
04/19/18  NinetyFour (at 56)
04/27/18  poppydog and DW
04/??/18  Calvin
04/??/18  FernFree
04/??/18  Gooki
04/??/18  lostformars
~04/??/18 HappyMargo
~04/??/18 Mother Fussbudget
~04/??/18 Agent Rosenflower
05/01/18  SwordGuy (at 60)
05/08/18  SwordGuy DW (SwordGuy isn't saying.   He wants to live.)
05/04/18  wordnerd and DH (at 30 and 36)
05/04/18  step_away
05/15/18  Markbike528CBX (at 53.5)
05/25/18  Gyosho
05/25/18  CheapskateWife (at 42) and CheapskateHubs (at 49)
05/??/18  Alim Nassor
05/??/18  msilenus
06/15/18  DavisGang90 (at 49)
06/25/18  MaybeBabyMustache (at 42)
06/29/18  aperture
06/??/18  Cheddar Stacker
06/??/18  dbtx
06/??/18  Omalley
06/??/18  randomgiraffe
06/??/18  SwissMiss
~06/??/18 Pylortes
07/??/18  AussieGirl
07/??/18  ChasesFish
07/??/18  Mr Griz
~07/??/18 BackAndForth
~07/??/18 cerat0n1a
~07/??/18 Fresh Bread
~07/??/18 SnidelyWhiplashStache
08/01/18  SugarMountain
08/24/18  sol (at 41)
08/??/18  Mr Mark
08/??/18  NorCalistache
08/??/18  RunningWithScissors
09/30/18  SwissMiss
10/05/18  JumboShrimp
10/??/18  Fire1018
10/??/18  Happy
10/??/18  Irishtache
10/25/18 PhilB (at 52)
11/??/18  DeSteeg
11/??/18  Kris
12/01/18  Vegasgirl (at 49)
12/21/18  LateStarter
12/??/18  EnjoyIt
12/??/18  yoda34
??/??/18  Blindsquirrel
??/??/18  Michread
??/??/18  Minnesota_mom
??/??/18  OzBeach -- WIGLO (When I Get Laid Off)
??/??/18  thriftycanadian
??/??/18  pecunia
??/??/18  FLStache
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 07:07:43 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

momcpa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1192 on: February 01, 2018, 07:38:02 AM »
It's official !   I am an actual RETIRED person as of this morning.  Yesterday, January 31 was my last day at the office.  My co-workers had a little party for me in the afternoon with cake and presented me with a nice Visa gift card.  I brought home the few personal things I still had in my office.   Said my goodbyes, turned in my keys and headed home for the last time from that business.

I had completed 27 years there as of December 1.  So just into year #28.  A couple people have been there just about as long, so I spent a little time with each of them one-on-one visiting about how the organization had changed, developed, etc.  That was kinda special.

My daughter called last night to congratulate me.  She said she heard of people getting up the first morning of their retirement to get a picture of the sunrise.  Kinda a picture of THIS IS MY FIRST DAY OF RETIREMENT momento.  I was up in time, but the clouds and lack of sunrise made my picture of the horizon kinda lacking.

So thanks for all the encouragement I received (and will continue to receive) from everyone here.  Thanks for the 'oomph' I needed when I decided to give my notice. I will certainly continue to follow here for insight, advice, and fellowship as I start what I am calling my New Normal.

NinetyFour

• Walrus Stache
  • 58 days until Freedom!
« Reply #1193 on: February 01, 2018, 07:55:05 AM »
Congrats, @momcpa !!!!!!
My Journal

Phenix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1194 on: February 01, 2018, 08:03:01 AM »
I love following the current year FIRE cohorts; so much inspiration to be found!
"Where returns are concerned, time is your friend. But where costs are concerned, time is your enemy."
The Little Book of Common Sense Investing

Aegishjalmur

• Stubble
« Reply #1195 on: February 01, 2018, 08:11:29 AM »
I am struggling mightily with Notgivingashititis. I don't want to be here anymore, I don't want to do this anymore. It's just something to deal with, but I resent the time it takes away from useful things(like sleeping with a dog curled up next to me or cleaning out the house). Even if I was not FIRE-ing, I think this would be my last month, and I would then take a month off to mentally recoup before looking for a job in a completely different field.
Plans are useless. Planning is indispensable.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1196 on: February 01, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »
Congrats to the class of 2018 confirmed retirees!  Especially to momCPA, patches, and Wintergreen78 who helped us finish strong in January. 

I have 2 more months and every time a new responsibility shows up I roll my eyes and groan, even though I have plenty of time to do it.  Good thing I'm remote so people don't have to see me doing this.  I really should take my own advice and savor the entire experience, enjoying the anticipation and relishing the expectation of not having to do this kind of work again.  I will practice that today as I slog through all the work I've been putting off.  I can get caught up and then reply to the boss about status.

Also, a big thanks to @CowboyAndIndian for keeping us all up to date.  I'm saying thanks because otherwise it would be a thankless job.

We have 5 folks in March with undecided dates. 

03/??/18  Badblackgirl
03/??/18  Clean Shaven
03/??/18  Sofa King
03/??/18  MiserlyMiser
03/??/18  Acastus

March is getting pretty close to remain undecided.... 

Any updates @Badblackgirl , @Clean Shaven , @Sofa King , @MiserlyMiser and @Acastus ?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1197 on: February 01, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »
I resent the time it takes away from useful things(like sleeping with a dog curled up next to me or cleaning out the house).

I admit to being slightly uncomfortable with this realization.  I went to a bunch of fancy schools and got a bunch of fancy degrees so that people would listen to me when I'm acting all fancy smart, and now my life's one true desire is to mow my lawn and take my dog to the park?  These days I'm genuinely more interested in staying home to clean my bathroom than I am going to work to answer email, and some part of me finds that realizations upsetting.  Is it a betrayal of my life's work to just abandon it so easily?

I think I'm going to need to find an alternative venue for acting all fancy smart, after I retire.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1198 on: February 01, 2018, 08:56:03 AM »
Is it a betrayal of my life's work to just abandon it so easily?

In my case, it was a betrayal of my nonambition ever to have pursued fancy professional credentials in the first place.  Now that I'm retiring, I'm answering my true calling (to become a gentleman of leisure).

I think I'm going to need to find an alternative venue for acting all fancy smart, after I retire.

Start a blog!  Then you can keep sharing your fancy smartness with the rest of us.  I'm going to keep taking every available opportunity to continue to pressure you to do it.

Aegishjalmur

• Stubble
« Reply #1199 on: February 01, 2018, 08:58:39 AM »
I resent the time it takes away from useful things(like sleeping with a dog curled up next to me or cleaning out the house).

I admit to being slightly uncomfortable with this realization.  I went to a bunch of fancy schools and got a bunch of fancy degrees so that people would listen to me when I'm acting all fancy smart, and now my life's one true desire is to mow my lawn and take my dog to the park?  These days I'm genuinely more interested in staying home to clean my bathroom than I am going to work to answer email, and some part of me finds that realizations upsetting.  Is it a betrayal of my life's work to just abandon it so easily?

I think part of it, for me is I get tired of doing the same things over and over again. When you start in school, you have to take a variety of classes so well they may be based on previous classes, it's still new information and new challenges. Then, you graduate and start a job, so again, it's new challenges as you learn the ins and outs of your chosen profession. As you work your way up, you learn new skills. Then, you plateau. No new challenges, the new information is just minor tweeks on what you already know, you're doing the same thing day in and day out.

I don't view it as a betrayal of my life's work, I view it as having worked my butt off to reach a point where I can focus on what I want to, where I can pick out my new challenges.

Plans are useless. Planning is indispensable.