Author Topic: 2017 BUDGET-ADJUSTING HIGHER OR LOWER?  (Read 2842 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
2017 BUDGET-ADJUSTING HIGHER OR LOWER?
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
So over the course of the last several days accumulating data from the entire 2016 year and partial 2015 year I finished this morning our 2017 Budget and categories for mint. I renamed, removed and added for better definition a few categories but most importantly was able to reduce our budget by 7k. But , that is still leaving categories a little elevated for those unknowns that do arise in the categories that are not fixed. I.E. we spend a lot of money on travel for kids sports and I increased it even though I will have one less kid involved half the year as well as I increase our personal monthly entertainment category. If you do budget what adjustments did you make and or other things you would like to share.

Gunny

• Stubble
Re: 2017 BUDGET-ADJUSTING HIGHER OR LOWER?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »
I've stopped tracking our budget as closely as I did when first FIREd.  We have a 45k per year allowance from pension and my substitute teaching gig.  After nearly 18 months in FIRE,  we now know the most efficient way to finance our lives based on this amount.  We know what our monthly expenses are.  We auto pay our reoccurring bills (mortgage, utes, car insurance) and take out cash on the first day of the month and use the "envelope" system for fluctuating daily expenses such as groceries, gas, personal money, and eating out.  We have limits for each catagory, and once that catagory is spent, it's spent.  That's unless we borrow from another underspent category.  Our system works best for us and I don't "stress" the budget like I did early in FIRE.  I don't worry about cutting expenses either.  Since I haven't begun to tap our retirement stash yet, our lifestyle will only increase when I do.  We can always cut future lifestyle down to current lifestyle by discontinuing distributions from retirement accounts if markets hit a rough patch. 

thebattlewalrus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:42:31 AM »
I will be working the 2017 budget over the next couple of days but I will be adjusting a couple things higher and a couple things lower. We are aiming to lower our food budget by $100 per month which should be fairly easy, and also switch plans on our phones which should save roughly $40 a month. Fuel consumption is up and will be due to my wife's work distance so I am budgeting an additional $50 a month for that which I failed to do last year.

On a really good note we will have the car loan paid off in March (1.5 years ahead of scheduled) which will free up an additional $350 a month but that will all immediately be used to pay off the remaining student loans...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »
I will be working the 2017 budget over the next couple of days but I will be adjusting a couple things higher and a couple things lower. We are aiming to lower our food budget by $100 per month which should be fairly easy, and also switch plans on our phones which should save roughly $40 a month. Fuel consumption is up and will be due to my wife's work distance so I am budgeting an additional $50 a month for that which I failed to do last year.

On a really good note we will have the car loan paid off in March (1.5 years ahead of scheduled) which will free up an additional $350 a month but that will all immediately be used to pay off the remaining student loans...
I've stopped tracking our budget as closely as I did when first FIREd.  We have a 45k per year allowance from pension and my substitute teaching gig.  After nearly 18 months in FIRE,  we now know the most efficient way to finance our lives based on this amount.  We know what our monthly expenses are.  We auto pay our reoccurring bills (mortgage, utes, car insurance) and take out cash on the first day of the month and use the "envelope" system for fluctuating daily expenses such as groceries, gas, personal money, and eating out.  We have limits for each catagory, and once that catagory is spent, it's spent.  That's unless we borrow from another underspent category.  Our system works best for us and I don't "stress" the budget like I did early in FIRE.  I don't worry about cutting expenses either.  Since I haven't begun to tap our retirement stash yet, our lifestyle will only increase when I do.  We can always cut future lifestyle down to current lifestyle by discontinuing distributions from retirement accounts if markets hit a rough patch.

yea, i dont really stress over it either but I still like to keep track as since its been really one full year there are some things that can be adjusted yet. The fact that we came in under budget to do it without to much effort is another reason.

Awesome on getting that car paid off. Best thing is not having a mortgage or car payments!!

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 01:58:30 PM »
Ours will be down on some kids expenses (Kindergarten tuition) but up on others (childcare, some convenience items, professional clothes) due to me going back to work. We travelled a lot in 2016 and already paid some 2017 travel, so I expect travel will go down.

Overall I think it will go up a bit. I haven't run December numbers yet to see exactly how 2016 ended.

Of course all bets are off if one of our cars (2003 and 2004) dies. We are prepared that it may happen at any moment, and that'll throw off all the numbers as we haven't had the expense of a car purchase since I started YNAB.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
I don't set budget amounts, but I do record all my spending and have a look how I am doing - I've just got one set overall spending amount I'd like to keep under. My savings rate is quite high, so I'm not too worried or concerned if I go over this.

I don't like having arbitrary targets, I prefer a more flexible approach....however I tend to be quite frugal, and am getting better at thinking does a purchase align with my values before getting out the purse.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 02:26:42 PM »
Have a budget... actually more of a forecast than a budget.

Bills only ever go up, and since bills are the majority of my spending then spending goes up too...

Greystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »
We just completed our second full year of retirement.  We kept detailed records of our income and expenses for the first two years. next year's budget will be an average of the previous two years with a few exceptions.  Health insurance premiums are significantly higher for next year. Also, we had to replace our refrigerator last year and that has made us want to do a better job of budgeting for big ticket items that happen infrequently, like major appliances, roof, HVAC, cars, etc.  Our overall budget will remain the same, all increases will be offset by decreases in other areas.  We have seen some reductions in auto insurance, cell phone, etc. Now that we are comfortable in our retirement budget, we will probably not be monitoring income and expenses as often as we did in the past.  We uses to track everything monthly, in the future, probably quarterly or annually.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 09:21:38 PM »
Probably a little higher than 2016 if for no other reason we're getting better at it and being honest about predictions.  We took a couple vacations last year that cost about $2000 which we hadn't really done any predictive work on costs.  We can afford it, but it wasn't budgeted.  Having said that, I'm hoping our actual spending drops a little compared to 2016 if we can curtail some grocery and gift-giving habits.*

*All dependent on our move this summer and any COL changes.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!