Author Topic: 1000 posts later, the WaPo crowd turns one  (Read 13218 times)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
1000 posts later, the WaPo crowd turns one
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:58:18 AM »
My 1000th post. Where has the time gone....  A little over a year ago MMM appeared in the WaPo, and that brought a large East Coast crowd into the fold including yours truly. Giddy times. MMM challenged all my assumptions about retirement and how my family was doing financially (well, but not nearly well enough relative to our income).

Changes came quickly those first six months. Dropped the cable. Dropped the country club. Dropped eating out for lunch five days a week. Dropped eating out so much at dinner. Dropped Verizon. Even dropped a few pounds. Found a good used bike. Found some different ways to bike around the city. Found some great new recipes. Found a couple of innovative ways to barter for golf. Found a lot of money that had been consumed by my Exploding Volcano of Wastefulness. Found a few of those pounds I lost (damn). Found a few new Mustachian friends. Brought a few existing friends into the fold.

The next six months? Now everything is routine. We changed a lot of our living patterns and not every change has been a permanent one, and I'm still looking for ways to optimize. Major changes all the same and all in all a great year, our family net worth shot up substantially over the past twelve months (a good market gets some of the credit for that, but good old fashioned saving was the lion's share). The changes we made amounted to at least 10K of that. We are on pace for my wife to retire a few years early, a reality that did not exist before MMM, and my presumptions about retiring comfortably at 70 have morphed into a goal of retiring at 60 (in 2026) instead.

Looking back, the easiest part of being more frugal was simply making it harder to spend money. It takes effort to turn the cable back on, it would take effort to rejoin the club, it takes effort to go out to lunch or dinner, it takes effort to go shopping. The harder parts of an MMM lifestyle have been, not surprisingly, the parts that required additional effort. Biking to work has been and remains a challenge since it is an eight mile ride and we have no shower at work. When life gets really busy, like it is right now, it's just easier to grab the keys and go. When time is at a premium I don't have the luxury of biking 20 minutes to the store a few miles down the road, as much as I enjoy it. Still though, I totally rock compared to 95% of the populace and I remind myself of that when I am not being as frugal or efficient as I'd like to be, especially compared to the hard core crowd on this site.

So how about you, dear WaPo reader? What are your reflections as you enter your second year of badassity?     

frugalman

• Stubble
Re: 1000 posts later, the WaPo crowd turns one
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I'm not a WaPo reader, I've been reading MMM for 2 years now. I give you an A- grade for your efforts so far (the minus because optimization is an always ongoing process). I give myself a B- grade. Still even at a B- my financial life has improved immeasurably, and my waistline is smaller. I've moved up my retirement from 4/2016 to 12/2015, 4 months. That doesn't sound like much, but at my age of 64, 4 months is a lot.

I've learned to lessen my early enthusiasm and preachiness to family and friends. Those that have eyes to see and ears to listen get more information and advice. Those that are content with their lives - I just let them be, in their exploding volcanoes of wastefulness. My final retirement budget will be about $2,500/mo (paid for home). With all income sources including social security, we will be "saving" $3,500/mo in retirement. We are planning to travel extensively on the savings.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:08:00 PM »
Congrats on the one year stacheaversary and the 1k posts!  :D

Last month or this month marks year 3 of MMM for me (April/May of 2011, not sure exactly which).  Definitely been a fun few years.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RUStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 12:23:16 PM »
I also discovered MMM via the washington post and have implemented many changes in our familys budget.

Maxing out 401K
Maxing out IRA
Actually preparing montly budgets and trying to stick to them.
Calling each and every one of our monthly service providers and getting our bills lowered by simply asking.
Paying attention to my finances!

The biggest change is the mindset. If there is a problem or a material item breaks I just dont simply throw money at the problem anymore. I try to fix it myself or look for alternatives. Or even do without. This mindset is will save me thousands every year.

Now if I can just keep the wife out of Target we would really be doing well.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
Hey...I came here via WaPo.    Has it already been a year?

Prior to coming here I was frugal, but had reached my initial savings goals (had moved to the area we wanted to be in and bought a house, we had more than enough emergency savings, retirement was funded as needed for traditional retirement,  I had my dream job where I'm really semi-retired and DH quit completely to be a sahp), so I was unsure about what the payoff of continuing to save so much would be vs jumping on the consuming train.   

Discovering MMM made it clear for me that as much as I like my job, it would be sooo much better one day knowing that we had the freedom of FI for the days I don't like it, if one of us gets sick, or if I just want a change.   It also brought me to the place where buying more/better is not a goal in itself and having a lower cost lifestyle is freeing vs depriving.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 02:34:28 PM »
Hybrid, it seems we post at about the same rate. ;)  I was also considering something like this for my 1000th post, but since you beat me to it, I'll just add my thoughts here.

Wow.  What a year (or 14 months) it's been!  My mindset on both spending and saving has completely changed.  I used to think that saving a "large" percentage like 15-20% was awesome.  And then the rest of the money was for spending.  But it was not conscious spending.  While I used to not buy a ton of stuff, I never searched out deals or purchased in bulk.  I just never really thought about how it all adds up.  And now I love it.  My new found challenge of getting great value for every dollar spent is A LOT OF FUN!  I had no idea it would actually be fun to ride my bike across town to save $1 on a bag of rice, but it really is.

I've gotten a new job, lost weight, tracked my spending for the first time, and now ride my bike everywhere.  So it's safe to say that I've changed a ton in the last year, and hopefully it's all been for the better.  My wife has been a trooper and has not only put up with these radical changes, she's also embraced them as well.  She's the best. 

Before that WaPo article, I didn't even know that retiring this early was possible.  I was under the (common) impression that my 401k was for when I was 55 (or 59.5), so that's what early retirement meant.  I'm now on a quest to learn as much as possible to make this happen and it's exciting.  And boy have I learned a lot.  Thank you MMM and MMM forum.

Kepler

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
Another WaPo migrant - with not quite so many posts in the interim... :-)

And another for whom the main impact of this site was the realisation that I could in fact aim for an earlier retirement.  The spending part of the equation hadn't been so much of a problem for me, although I've gotten some good ideas for optimisation here, and so have notched the savings rate up a bit further.  But I had been planning on continuing to funnel savings into retirement accounts that couldn't be accessed before "official" retirement age (in Australia, so the US techniques won't work) - it was a revelation to think of organising things for an earlier retirement.  No idea why it hadn't occurred to me, but there it is...

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:29:37 PM »
I saw the WaPo article last year via a Canadian personal finance email I get every week.  (Yes, I am in Canada!)

Checking out the articles and this forum will bring about my retirement 9 years sooner than I had thought.  Before i found this website I figured I would retire at 66.  Now it looks more like 57!  Plus, right now I get the satisfaction of not living like a consumerist sucker. 

I started cutting my expenses - cancelled the newspaper, the gym - started eating out a lot less every week- no buying my coffee in the morning.  I wasn't working last year but I was able to get by with temp work and I didn't have to go into my savings at all.  Now I have a steady job and i am putting away one-third of my income - and will work on getting a higher savings rate. 

I also started tracking my expenses.  It took a few tries and a few different methods, but i found something very low-tech that works for me.  Without any nagging, my husband paid off his credit card and is now aggressively paying off his car loan.

MMM has changed our lives for the better.  I've also really enjoyed being part of this forum.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:31:01 AM by pachnik »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 06:39:12 AM »
Maybe the Vancouver, BC location with your avatar gives that away?  ;-p

How do you tell Canadians from Americans? Say "Toronto" and they say "the city we love to hate".  Say "Vancouver" (or Victoria) and they say "lotusland".  Does my envy of your climate show?  ;-)

(Yes, I am in Canada!)

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 07:17:15 AM »
Didn't come via WaPo, but I'd echo hybrid's experience. 4-6 months is all it takes for most of the major changes to sink in and become routine/second nature.

I'm a young whippersnapper, but retirement has gone from a nebulous post-60s concept to a 15 year timeline, which would get us free by the time our youngest is an adult.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »
Didn't come via WaPo, but I'd echo hybrid's experience. 4-6 months is all it takes for most of the major changes to sink in and become routine/second nature.

I'm a young whippersnapper, but retirement has gone from a nebulous post-60s concept to a 15 year timeline, which would get us free by the time our youngest is an adult.

This is what i really like about MMM -the variety of age groups the methods work for.  From what i can gather, this thread has middle-aged and younger people on it.  It is working for all of us. 

Goblinchief - I think it was you who described the financial tracking method that I am using - a piece of paper on the fridge and just write all the spendings on it.  This works for me.  Thanks.

Hey Retired at 63, once in a while i just like to wave the Canadian flag!!  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 07:32:33 AM by pachnik »

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 07:42:27 AM »

Looking back, the easiest part of being more frugal was simply making it harder to spend money. It takes effort to turn the cable back on, it would take effort to rejoin the club, it takes effort to go out to lunch or dinner, it takes effort to go shopping. The harder parts of an MMM lifestyle have been, not surprisingly, the parts that required additional effort. Biking to work has been and remains a challenge since it is an eight mile ride and we have no shower at work. When life gets really busy, like it is right now, it's just easier to grab the keys and go. When time is at a premium I don't have the luxury of biking 20 minutes to the store a few miles down the road, as much as I enjoy it. Still though, I totally rock compared to 95% of the populace and I remind myself of that when I am not being as frugal or efficient as I'd like to be, especially compared to the hard core crowd on this site.

So how about you, dear WaPo reader? What are your reflections as you enter your second year of badassity?   

Congrats on your one year anniversary and the progress that you've made.

Not that I'm lazy, but I really dislike shopping.  For me, shopping is a chore, not a recreational activity.  I have to do it regularly to get groceries which I don't mind as much, but when we need anything other than food, it seems like such a process because I want the best value for my money and that takes a lot of time and effort. 

water1974

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 08:03:34 AM »
I also first read MMM via WaPo by way of Instapundit. It was a revelation for me, too, to realize that retiring early was an option, was realistic, and had even been done by others. I walked around for the next month in a bit of a daze, to be honest.

My wife and I already had the habits of (relatively) low spending and (relatively) high saving. While I had aimed to retire when my passive income equaled the average household income of the place where I would live, for some crazy reason it never occurred to me that retirement is when *your own* passive income equals *your own* spending. Once this clicked in my head the idea of early retirement became real to our own lives. We started making small changes here and there and with the spreadsheets that we already used to track our expenses and passive income we measured in a concrete way how all these small changes were bringing retirement forward.

To read MMM and other blogs by people who had or were working towards early retirement is incredibly encouraging because it reinforces the utter feasibility of early retirement. For all this and more, I'm very thankful for the pure good fortune to have clicked from one link to another until I got to that article in WaPo 12 months ago.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »
I also first read MMM via WaPo by way of Instapundit ... For all this and more, I'm very thankful for the pure good fortune to have clicked from one link to another until I got to that article in WaPo 12 months ago.

And one year later, your first post!  Welcome to the forums.  Thanks for sharing your story with us.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 08:35:42 AM »
I may have seen that article in one of my newsfeeds or during searches, as my join date was right around this time last year.

Oh what a difference a year makes!

I remember being completely overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to manage my investments. I would have laughed at anyone that told me that I'd actually have a basic understanding of the stock market (Thanks to Jim Collins! Found him because of this site too!!) and be able to retire early using passive income, and especially that investing doesn't have to be complicated. 

MMM was the gateway, but the crowd-sourced knowledge available from this forum is just awesome.

Rebecca Stapler

• Pencil Stache
    • Stapler Confessions
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
I didn't read the WaPo article, but I came over here about a year ago after hearing someone talk about MMM (probably after reading WaPo) and saying "can you believe he just spends $25k/year so he can retire early? If I did that, my life would be so boring!" And I was instantly drawn in, to see how he does it. I was so sick of the typical cost-cutting suggestions that you see everywhere and wanted to really figure out some frugal tricks.

Little did I know I was in for an enormous facepunch, which led to paying off a $12k student loan and slashing expenses.

Just this month I was reflecting on how my income has gone down since last May, yet our lifestyle is just as comfortable, if not more enjoyable, now. AND, we had $2k left over this month to put towards our SL debt.

I honestly feel happier and more satisfied with life now, even though I'm working less and earning less, because I'm spending less and not looking to material things to make me happy.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 08:47:37 AM »
I knew about MMM before the WaPo article since I've been chatting in frugal forums for 13 years now with the Simple Living Forums as my main hangout.

We are getting very near to retirement now and I can hardly wait. Punching the timeclock is a PITA.

However unlike most here I want to add on cable tv after we retire, but my mustachean DH says
"ummm, no, we already watch too much tv" and he is right. But mainly I want these stupid wires to go away. Wireless tv is my dream, I hate the dust collecting wires. As far as excellent cable programming, I eventually see all of the good stuff on dvd and I'm fine with that.

These forums are lively and full of inspiring wisdom, even for someone like me who has been at this frugal living thing for 40 years.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:07:17 AM by iris lily »

myDogIsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 09:42:46 AM »
I got here from the WaPo article too.  Change has been slow and steady, and my wife and I are gradually getting the mindset right.

I had never even heard of early retirement.  I had generally been somewhat frugal but didn't see the need for a stash - what would I do with all that money?  Then I poured through all the articles on MMM and everything clicked.  I feel much better about my financial situation now, even though we have a ways to go.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
This is the original article for those that did not see it. I read it, thought "Wow!", came to the website, and several self-induced facepunches later was hooked on the idea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/meet-mr-money-mustache-the-man-who-retired-at-30/2013/04/26/71e3e6a8-acf3-11e2-a8b9-2a63d75b5459_story.html

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
Goblinchief - I think it was you who described the financial tracking method that I am using - a piece of paper on the fridge and just write all the spendings on it.  This works for me.  Thanks.

Glad someone else likes my cutting edge budgeting method!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »
I also came over via the WaPo article. I had read "Your Money or Your Life" in grad school and had been involved with some Voluntary Simplicity stuff starting in college, but in the 10 + years after graduating I got caught up in life I pretty much forgot about all of that. Around the time of the WaPo article, I had been working on revamping my finances, reducing my discretionary spending, and upping my savings.  Reading the WaPo article helped me amp up even further and start becoming badass. Since then, I've maxed out my workplace deferred compensation plan, maxed out a Roth IRA, and started my first taxable brokerage account-- I'm on track for a 70% or higher savings rate in 2014.

I think I might function best when there's some structure in my life, so I'm hoping to semi-retire in about 10 years.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 02:22:26 PM »
Hybrid, it seems we post at about the same rate. ;)  I was also considering something like this for my 1000th post, but since you beat me to it, I'll just add my thoughts here.

Wow.  What a year (or 14 months) it's been!  My mindset on both spending and saving has completely changed.  I used to think that saving a "large" percentage like 15-20% was awesome.

Yep, that was definitely me too. I'd give myself a nice little pat on the back for the progress we had made on paying down our mortgage and stashing money in our 401Ks, the reality was our incomes and not our habit were what made that possible so that pat was only partially deserved. Now we are in a gear I didn't know existed. One of the things I enjoy doing now is spreading the "gospel" of a more frugal lifestyle. Helping people improve their bottom line is very rewarding. It's easier to do that when you've been at it a while and folks you know realize it's not just a fad.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 06:08:17 AM »
Good for you - I love the variety of countries represented on MMM forums.  And there is always the (extremely remote) possibility that someone might not know BC is a Canadian province ;-)

And yes, good age variety - I didn't manage the retire early part, but someone of any age can benefit from these forums.

Hey Retired at 63, once in a while i just like to wave the Canadian flag!!  :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 07:52:40 AM »
And there is always the (extremely remote) possibility that someone might not know BC is a Canadian province ;-)

If the majority of the MMM crowd wasn't so smart, I'd point out that most of us are Americans, and thus the possibility isn't that remote.  ;)

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »
Ok I'll bite, how do you barter for golf deals? :)

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »
Ok I'll bite, how do you barter for golf deals? :)

My former club is on a very tight budget, and they occasionally turn to me to fix broken computers.

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/don't-think-of-it-as-losing-a-country-club-but-gaining-a-side-hustle/msg135981/#msg135981

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
Also in the WaPo crowd! My interest was sparked when MMM labelled the parents who drive their kids 2 miles to school in large SUV's "Suckas" because that is exactly what (and even how) I would think myself as I pulled into day care with my son on my bike, looking at all the Acuras, BMW's, and Lexuses (Lexi?) in the parking lot.

I haven't made as many changes in the past year as I would have liked. We were already pretty frugal, though not as intentionally so. I.e. we used to eat out maybe every week or two, and now it's more like every month. I've been primarily bike commuting for 3 years now, though since MM use it more for errands than I used to. I've also tried to become handier about fixing things myself around the house (garbage disposal replacement, radiator purging, bicycle maintenance, etc.).

I still need to get much better educated and focused on investing--we did a lot of saving even before MMM but it wasn't (and still isn't) as rational as it should be. We used to just look at piled of extra money in our bank account and spend it without putting enough thought into it (home renovations, international trips, etc.). 2014 will be the first time I max out my 401k contributions!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 06:09:08 PM »
There might have a tiny bit of irony embedded in that statement.  For the record, understatement is a typically Canadian way of making a point - it's a bit cold out at -25C, eh?  Not that we all do it.
But really, we have people from all over Europe and Asia and New Zealand and Australia (and I know NSW is New South Wales), so we are almost as good as Ravelry.

And there is always the (extremely remote) possibility that someone might not know BC is a Canadian province ;-)

If the majority of the MMM crowd wasn't so smart, I'd point out that most of us are Americans, and thus the possibility isn't that remote.  ;)

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »
I'm a relative newbie here but I have gotten as much out of the MMM website as much as anyone.  I really have to thank MMM, Jacob from ERE, Mad Fientist, and jlcollinsnh for helping me make a lot of changes to my life.  I found MMM from an MSN.com article a few months ago and it was the catalyst for everything that I did in the last two months.

1. I started a Simple IRA account for myself and my employees and maxed it out this year.  I wasn't very savvy on tax sheltered investing until now.

2. I rented out my extra rooms for additional $15,000 per year.  The privacy and freedom was a bit hard to give up but my dw was a trooper in agreeing to this.

3. We are selling our extra cars and downsizing to 1 car.

4. I have been biking to work 3-4 days out of the week.  It's been hot as balls lately but still at it.

5. We sold off almost $4000 worth of stuff and still getting rid of more stuff.  We are simplifying down to essentials.

6. Invested an extra $30k already and have on goal to invest 70% of take home pay.  Goal is to have $200k stock investments by end of year and add about $100k/year.  I had been doing mostly real estate to date but I want to diversify.

7. Goal is to sell my company and FIRE within 3 years.  I never even considered FIRE until I read MMM and just planned to keep making money until I got tired of it, but the idea of ER has me excited for all the traveling and adventures that we are going to partake in. 

8. We also stopped eating out so much and cut down on food expenditure by at least half.  We eat well but no more eating out and we buy smartly when stuff are on sale.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:29:41 PM by SDREMNGR »

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 05:05:58 AM »
Wow, that's tremendous progress in just a little time! Kudos to you and your dw.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:28 AM »
It's funny how different the MMM transition is looking backwards than forwards. Before you switch you're all like "is happiness compatible with contributing to an IRA and ditching the maid and my kid's didgeridoo lessons?" and after the switch everybody seems to be dramatically more content and less worried about money, you're worth at least five figures more, and you find you don't miss the stuff. I think threads like this are a powerful testament to people just considering their first baby steps. You won't miss the stuff, and the lifestyle is terrific!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 07:34:45 AM »
It's funny how different the MMM transition is looking backwards than forwards. Before you switch you're all like "is happiness compatible with contributing to an IRA and ditching the maid and my kid's didgeridoo lessons?" and after the switch everybody seems to be dramatically more content and less worried about money, you're worth at least five figures more, and you find you don't miss the stuff. I think threads like this are a powerful testament to people just considering their first baby steps. You won't miss the stuff, and the lifestyle is terrific!

+1 Grant - hope you are enjoying London!!!  I loved it when I was there 30 years ago.

My MMM transition was quite slow but steady - mainly because I was unemployed last year and doing temp work.  I really don't miss the 'stuff' at all and  am looking forward to working on raising my savings rate!  I think for me having financial goals - short and long term - have really increased my happiness.  Before MMM, I was floundering financially.  Not anymore!   :)  Plus I get great support and suggestions here on the forum!

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 07:42:16 AM »

The extra peace of mind is great.  Beforehand, I wasn't quite sure if I was making or saving enough and I sort of had no idea how much would be enough in savings.   Now I'm content to hit my 1 mil in liquid savings and then FIRE.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 08:03:33 AM »

Love this post.  Well said.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
I came to the forums around the same time as the WaPo crowd.  So much has changed in our lives since then,and the changes can be nearly 100% attributed to finding MMM and participating in the forums.

- went from five-figure NEGATIVE net worth to five-figure positive net worth
- on track to max our Roth IRAs
- on track to pay off student loans by the end of the summer
- bought a house
- saving roughly ~40% of our income (up from saving 0%)
- eating out once a month instead of twice a week
- much healthier diet
- more active lifestyle
- working on building up enough savings for me to quit my job and go back to school
- minimized possessions (our house is much tidier now, and having had to get rid of so many things has made us think very critically about buying more things)
- working on finances together has brought me and my spouse even closer

I'm sure there are even more things I could put on this list, but the biggest change has been the way re-thinking our finances has opened our mind to much broader possibilities in how we can build a life that's exactly what we want it to be.  We've never been happier in fact, my life is roughly a zillion percent awesomer now than it was a year ago! 

Mr. Boots

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »
This is a good one for me to make my first reply, since I came from the WaPo. (Ironically, if the article was published now I probably wouldn't have discovered MMM, due to my low information diet.)

A year later, I finally finished reading all of the posts since the beginning of time. With that foundation laid, I feel ready to start contributing on here. Looking forward to getting to know the other mustachians!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
This is a good one for me to make my first reply, since I came from the WaPo. (Ironically, if the article was published now I probably wouldn't have discovered MMM, due to my low information diet.)

A year later, I finally finished reading all of the posts since the beginning of time. With that foundation laid, I feel ready to start contributing on here. Looking forward to getting to know the other mustachians!

Welcome!  Glad to have you here!  :)

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 03:06:57 PM »
It feels longer than a year!

It has been great to transition into the MMM community. I really love reading the forum, getting ideas and having a place to contemplate money/ what to do with it/ general philosophy and approach

The WaPo article came at the perfect time for me. We had bought a place a few months earlier, so that goal was accomplished, and life style creep was starting to occur in our hcola town. MMM reset my attitude and financial practices in profoundly beneficial ways. I still don't think ER is on the table for us, mostly because my husband loves his work and I already have the perfect part-time gig, but we have kids and I adore the idea of having lots of money for security and a low stress life.

Things I have done:

Dropped the NYT and WSJ
Stopped going out to eat multiple times a week, now 2-4 times a month
Began serious batch cooking, always packing lunch for spouse, myself and kids
Got rid of the nanny
Began biking a lot
Line dry
Dropped frequency of cleaning person
Started dollar cost averaging Roth money into stocks
Raised pretax contributions to 5%, are going to raise them to 10%
Have saved enough money and developed a plan for 529 contributions
Started dying my hair at home (that right there saves $105 a month)
Getting cheap haircuts a fifteen minute bike ride away, rather than expensive ones an hour away by car
Stopped monthly amazon purchases
Shop at goodwill for children and husband's clothing
Consider buying things much more carefully, frequently decide not to buy them
Prioritize saving and investing over spending
Refocus on being a steward of my family's money
Cut family's hair at home (no more $35 haircuts for my daughters... So face punch worthy!)
Obsessively track goodwill donations
Talk about MMM with my neighbors and friends. It is so cool when they get into it!
Do own pedicures
Never returning to an Easter or Mother's Day brunch in a restaurant unless someone else is paying for it.
Take staycations
Dropped therapy
Rented out our place when we left the country for a while

Stuff I need to do:
Track our grocery spending for a month or two and then decide if I want to make changes
Investigate changing insurance carriers for better rates
Continue to develop a nuanced financial plan that accomplishes our multiple goals
Appreciate my awesome husband who works hard and goes along with all my frugality initiatives
Continue to increase our savings rate every month
Explore barter opportunities for things/services I want
Go camping

We still spend a chunk of change on preschool and swim lessons, and some after school activities, and will continue to examine how the cost to value ratio skews. Right now it is worth it.

Like most people here, I don't miss the things I/we have given up. Our children are sad about the brunches, but otherwise thriving. I occasionally don't want to cook, and get tired of the same soup every week, but paying for take out is not acceptable for me now.

I feel proud about our growing bank balances, and glad that our marital disagreements about money center around where our saving should go. That is a good problem!

Just one last thing, we live in the epicenter of crazy rich people with ridiculous spending habits. MMM, both posts and forum, helps me stay grounded and not jealous. Focusing on my own behavior and habits and corresponding rise in net worth is important. It also gives us a clear, sustainable philosophy to impart to our children, equally important when growing up in an outrageously privileged environment.

Edited to add: we got rid of our land line too.

In terms of goals, I should sit down and figure out our actual savings rate.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 03:50:45 PM by Hadilly »

PindyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
Great post Hadilly, thanks!

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2014, 10:51:37 AM »
This thread is awesome. I found the forum last April-ish, not through the WaPo article, but my first day or two of reading here, popped me over to it. I was immediately hooked.

Soon after starting to grow our mustaches at home I encountered pretty crippling back issues that still linger. I attribute many of the difficult life changes made to accommodate my back condition to this forum. I would have put up such a huge fight without already having the frugal and simplify, simplify, simplify mindset learned here and on the ERE forum.

We have increased our savings rate from about 30% to my goal of 50%.

We had one rental, and added one more last April. We are under contract for #3. Our other retirement funds are in the stock market and it feels good to now be "diversified". #3 puts total rental income at covering all our basic living expenses, leaving our discretionary spending to be covered by other means, effectively achieving a very "light" FI, one I would never quit on, but makes my condition so much less stressful. If my back bounces back from this I would likely work until 55 so I can access my 401k. But right now that sounds like torture and we are instead going to shoot for rental #4 next year.

I gave up my very expensive lifelong hobby, which I am not sure what I would have done with it if my back hadn't blown up on me.  So, given I cannot perform that hobby anymore, I was able to sell of some very large clown'ish things and grow my stache by that much more:) In addition, dropping that hobby saved us about $850/month so it was a HUGE win. On the down side, biking is also off the table for now:(

I've blogged my progress here and that too is so helpful. It is nice to vent, and cheer as warranted, and then be able to have support from fellow mustachians. I can go back to review where I was at any point in time versus where I am today.

Cheers to MMM!

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »

Welcome Mr. Boots. I did the same thing. Seems silly looking back now, but I felt a bit "unworthy" of posting on the forums until I consumed as much information as possible first.

I still feel a bit overwhelmed by the collective knowledge here sometimes, but ironically I care a lot less now what others think of me thanks to taking on more mustachian ways.

Seriously, there are some really, really smart people here. It can be overwhelming reading some of the analysis people perform, but I'm glad to be along for the ride.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »
I've with Cheddar Stacker.  But i did start posting fairly early on in my MMM life.  It took about 2 months before I began to post but that was mainly because I had never been part of an internet community before so was overly cautious about it.

I am really glad to be along for the mustachian ride!   I can't say it enough this website/forum has changed my life for the better.  It has put all the pieces together for me when I wasn't able to do it for myself.   Instead of frittering away my money on morning coffee breaks, daily newspapers, lunches that I bought because I was too lazy to plan them etc. my net worth grows by about $1,000/ per month + whatever earnings come from my investments. 

The other day someone at the office told me they had 10 years left to work and i told them I had 7.  A year and a half ago I would have just been caught clueless and muttered something about how hard it is to retire.  It feels really good to have a plan.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
The other day someone at the office told me they had 10 years left to work and i told them I had 7.  A year and a half ago I would have just been caught clueless and muttered something about how hard it is to retire.  It feels really good to have a plan.

I had a similar conversation the other day with folks at work in our accounting department. One lady (late 50s) said she would be working indefinitely. The head of accounting (late 40s, my age) had no clue when he would retire, he doesn't even know the interest rate on his house. I really want to help these people get pointed in a better direction, but some folks are stuck in their ways. Funny thing is, they know full well I'm fast-tracking my retirement plans, the lady said "You're so good with your money." I really wanted to say "You could be too (if you'd just quit buying so much consumer shit)" but I know my audience. Ahhh, well. I'll miss them one of these days.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
I also came over via WaPo. Can't believe its been a year!  I remember finding MMM and then spending quite a few late nights reading through all of his posts and then finding other sites like ERE, jlcollins and Mad Fientist.  I couldn't get enough information.  It was like a revelation.    Before we discovered MMM I was spending just about every dollar we made, all while thinking that I would never be able to retire, and remarkably not really putting those two things together.  Our net worth was around $0. 

Then came the changes.  Dropped Verizon.   Dropped the car and replaced with bike + bike tralier.  Found the library! Opened up IRAs for myself and the wife.  Started investing in the company SIMPLE IRA.  Opened up that HSA and even a taxable account.  Now as of this morning, Personal Capital says our net worth is $57,235.  Crazy.  If you had told me last year that would be my net worth a year later, i would have thought someone must have died and left me something. 

I still have a lot of work to do (damn you eating out!) but i feel like i'm in such a better position now. 

But honestly, the best part of this journey was finding these forums!  The people here are absolutely great, and i've gained so much information and wisdom from everyone's contributions here. 

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2014, 02:39:36 PM »
I remember finding MMM and then spending quite a few late nights reading through all of his posts and then finding other sites like ERE, jlcollins and Mad Fientist.  I couldn't get enough information.  It was like a revelation.    Before we discovered MMM I was spending just about every dollar we made, all while thinking that I would never be able to retire, and remarkably not really putting those two things together.

I was kind of the same way.  I saved 10-15% of my income and knew i could retire at 66.  Why didn't I just kick it up a notch say - save 25% and retire at 55?  I just couldn't put it together.  I really believed that anything earlier than retirement at 66 was just too hard.  That cutting my expenses would be too hard.  it wasn't until I saw this website that I put the two together - starting saving more and cutting expenses - and voila!!!  I will be able to retire 9 years earlier if all goes well.  (And by the way, neither the saving nor the expense cutting was "too hard".)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 07:56:19 AM by pachnik »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!