Author Topic: 1000 mile wolverine boots  (Read 6865 times)

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
1000 mile wolverine boots
« on: November 27, 2015, 10:00:52 PM »
Hopefully I've come across a buy it for life boot.  My feet hurt often, I basically have no arches.  I've read about Wolverine 1000 mile boots.  Damned expensive, about $300.  However, the reviews I've read, folks are only replacing them about every 10 to 15 years.  Depending on how much you wear them, you may need to have them resoled.  So I bought a pair last month.  The first week or so is 6 different kinds of suck.  But now that they are broke in, these are wonderful boots.  Feet pain is gone, and they look pretty snazzy.  I guess the old adage is true.  Don't skimp on your mattress or your boots, if you aren't' in one you're in the other. 

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 1000 mile wolverine boots
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:31:59 AM »
Nice.  What kind of tread pattern do they have?  I'm still searching for a boot whose sole won't wear out after a year or two.  I currently have a pair of Redwing Irish Setter boots that I bought a few years ago.  They are very comfortable, and the upper is holding up well, but the soles wore out quickly.  They have a very open tread pattern that is designed for mud and snow.  But of course no one walks on mud and snow all the time.  So when I'm walking on a firm surface, all of my weight is borne on three large lugs under the ball of my foot, and these lugs wore away very quickly.

Also, I'm wondering what kind of waterproofing your wolverines have, if any.  I have yet to find a pair of supposedly waterproof leather boots that really is.  Every Gore-Tex or Gore-Tex knock-off boot that I've owned (including the $225 Irish Setters) has soaked through when subjected to more than a few minutes of wetting.

If I could find a pair of boots that solved those two problems, I'd gladly pay $300 for them.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 07:31:21 AM »
That would be great to find a pair of boots that last that long. I find myself replacing $150-$200 boots every year or so. Mine usually just wear out on the toe or the overall uppers in general before the sole. I work in industrial construction so depending on the job I can be hard on boots. I'm currently wearing these Danners which I've had for 8 months. They are the best boots I've owned so far. Even if I only get a year out of them I'll probably buy another. Amazing support and traction. No noticeable wear on the tread yet and I wear them 50+ hrs a week. I haven't been on my feet as much as normal, though.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »
The 1000  mile have smooth leather soles.  I don't use them as workboots, these are for when I need something a bit more presentable than scrungy wookboots but not quite dress shoe.  For workboots, I have Wolverine Durashock.  I've had them about 4 years, they look like hell but are not even close to worn out.  I have replaced the laces twice.  Once I put the arch supports in the durashocks, most comfortable shoe I own.  The 1000 mile has some arch support built in, so I didn't need the orthotics. 

My mission for the boots is not so much hard work, but something to keep my feet from hurting. I've tried running shoes, walking shoes, cross trainers, hiking shoes, cheap orthotics, expensive orthotics.  Work boots seem to do the trick. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 02:28:55 AM »
I first looked at these boots a year and have lusted after them ever since. Want! But I'm holding out because I have two pairs of perfectly good winter shoes, so it really is just a want... But maybe one day I will crack.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 04:39:39 AM »
The 1000  mile have smooth leather soles.  I don't use them as workboots, these are for when I need something a bit more presentable than scrungy wookboots but not quite dress shoe.  For workboots, I have Wolverine Durashock.  I've had them about 4 years, they look like hell but are not even close to worn out.  I have replaced the laces twice.  Once I put the arch supports in the durashocks, most comfortable shoe I own.  The 1000 mile has some arch support built in, so I didn't need the orthotics. 

My mission for the boots is not so much hard work, but something to keep my feet from hurting. I've tried running shoes, walking shoes, cross trainers, hiking shoes, cheap orthotics, expensive orthotics.  Work boots seem to do the trick.

Ah, just checked them out on Wolverine's web site - it looks like they are designed more as casual shoes than a work/outdoor boot.

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 04:49:39 AM »
What about orthopaedic insoles?  I had the same problem and proper insoles solved the usse

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
What about orthopaedic insoles?  I had the same problem and proper insoles solved the usse

I've tried 3 different types of insoles.  Anywhere from $60 to $300.  The cheaper ones just moved the pain from one part of my foot to another.  The expensive ones are good in dress shoes for work, but you really need to take the inserts with you when trying on new shoes.  I also use the inserts in my Durashock boots.  Without the inserts, I can only be in the shop for a couple of hours, and I'm done. 

Captain and Mrs Slow

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:56:03 PM »
I've now got about 6 pairs of insoles, been slowly collecting them over the years can't do without them. For myself I can now get away with cheaper running shoes, typically I go into the store and just buy what ever is on sale. I have wide feet so I can't order them online.

It's not about money, it's about mindset

Off topic but I agree totally with that, been "unemployed" for the past 4 years or so and the last year has been particularly rough, but once I made the decision to retire completely it was like a huge burden lifted. Nothing has changed but my thinking