Author Topic: $50000 Gift - can only be spent on a car!  (Read 5623 times)

djadziadax

• Stubble
$50000 Gift - can only be spent on a car!
« on: April 06, 2021, 12:03:10 PM »
Folks,

If you are in a situation where a rich relative wants to make you a gift of a new car, and wanted to spend max 50K on it, what MUSTACHIAN CAR* would you ask for?

*Mustachian car would be something well build that can be driven to 150K minimum, low maintenance, high fuel/electricity economy, low insurance premium.

Of course we know about the several models MMM recommends, but they are of used ones...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 12:12:08 PM by djadziadax »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
Re: $50000 Gift - can only be spent on a car!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:09:10 PM »
Tesla Model 3 or Model Y Long Range

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:12:10 PM »
A tesla and some solar panels to charge it.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 12:15:36 PM »
Can the relative be convinced to let the 50k gift cover a reasonable car and several years' worth of gas+maintenance?

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 12:17:39 PM »
Can the relative be convinced to let the 50k gift cover a reasonable car and several years' worth of gas+maintenance?

nope!

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 12:18:23 PM »

nope! therefore the ask for recommendation on something that has low maintenance and is cheap to drive!

Peter Parker

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:19:44 PM »
Tesla Model Y long range...

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 12:55:05 PM »
Kia EV6 / Hyundai Ioniq 5 (releasing later this year)
Jaguar I-PACE (used)
Ford Mustang Mach-E

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 01:33:24 PM »
If you get a Toyota now you can easily still drive it for the next 20 years, with minimal maintenance and very low repair costs.  I don't think you can say that about a Tesla or other EV or really most other cars.  Think of how often things go wrong in cars or need to be replaced and how much it costs to get the work done.  Tesla doesn't share their tech with anyone so the only mechanics who can diagnose them are dealers. Whereas, there are millions of Toyota videos with simple stuff you can do yourself, and any mechanic will know how to fix anything that goes wrong, and the parts will be way cheaper. Even changing a lightbulb on a luxury car will cost a fortune.

They have a Corolla hatchback that is basically a Matrix. Or look at a Camry. Third choice would be a Honda.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 01:36:10 PM »
If it were me, I'd look into a Tesla. Get right up to $50k. Then turn around and sell it for $55k (do used ones still go for more than brand-new ones?). Alternatively, get a vehicle with a bunch of tax rebates/credits/etc. Depending on your state of residence and vehicle you choose (and your tax liability), you can get over $10k back on your taxes next year. Double-check everything, some tax credits come off your personal taxes, some can come off the sales price, I honestly haven't looked into it that deeply.

In fact, if it were me, I'd probably try to get some electrical work done "for free". My electric panel is maxed out and I had to take out the 30amp breaker for the dryer so I could put in a 20amp breaker for our electric vehicle. If someone else was footing the bill...I'd have them put in a whole new panel with plenty of extra slots for future breakers, go ahead and wire it for a generator (nothing to do with the car, but if they're already in there doing the wiring...), I'd even have them wire up both sides of the garage so there's somewhere to charge a vehicle regardless of where you park (or perhaps one outlet in the garage and one on the side). Don't forget the EVSE. I think there may be a tax credit on that as well, check into it.

If after you've picked your electric car and have gotten a quote on the electrical work, you still have funds left over to spend (don't want to leave any on the table!), now may be a good time to look into solar? An extra, say, $10k to go towards a solar install would pay dividends down the line. Plus, again, I think there is some kind of tax credit for that. Double bonus (or triple bonus, since you get free electricity, a tax credit, AND an increase in home value).

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 01:40:13 PM »
What use will this car see?  How many passengers?  Will you haul anything?  How far will you drive?  What do you like? 

Without this info, I'm thinking Tesla, Lexus, Acura, Toyota or Honda.

If someone made this offer to me, I'd look pretty hard at a Tesla (probably a model 3). 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 01:41:07 PM »
If you get a Toyota now you can easily still drive it for the next 20 years, with minimal maintenance and very low repair costs.  I don't think you can say that about a Tesla or other EV or really most other cars.

I don't see why not. First generation LEAFs are already 10 years old and still going strong except for the aforementioned battery degradation (which can be replaced/upgraded). An electric vehicle has much fewer items that need servicing so in theory maintenance and repair costs should be even lower than your Toyota appliance. Requiring proprietary service is not inherent to EVs, that's just a Tesla thing. Which is one of the many reasons why I'll never own a Tesla.

Edit: Got my threads mixed up. LEAF battery degradation was mentioned over here in this thread.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:00:09 PM by RWD »

jehovasfitness23

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 01:42:29 PM »
hands down RAV4 Prime XSE premium trim, about $49k

40 miles EV range plus all options.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 01:43:28 PM »
Fully loaded "average" car, essentially turning your Toyota into a Lexus. All of the comfort, none of the outward flash. Basically get a hybrid Camry with the top packages on everything.

norajean

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 01:43:41 PM »
Lexus RX450 hybrid. Will last 20 years easy and no plug-in nonsense or range limits. Drive cross country any time.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 01:48:16 PM »
Sensible suggestion? A non Tesla EV (assuming you can charge nightly). Cheap to "fuel", very low maintenance.

Outside the box suggestion? A 4wd truck or body on frame SUV (preferably with 4 doors). They have ridiculously strong resale value (minimal depreciation) and widespread appeal. Parts are typically widely available and inexpensive. They can be serviced pretty much anywhere which is less likely with an EV (although EV service needs should be much less frequent).

Middle ground? A Rav-4 Prime. Do the majority of your daily travels as an EV and get most of those benefits, but in a versatile body that's capable of going almost anywhere, hauling people/cargo, etc without range anxiety.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
I'd go with a Tesla simply for resale, because they beat the pants off of every other brand by a wide margin. If you decide to resell later you can buy a more mustachian car and pocket the cash.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 02:17:54 PM »
Sensible suggestion? A non Tesla EV (assuming you can charge nightly). Cheap to "fuel", very low maintenance.

Outside the box suggestion? A 4wd truck or body on frame SUV (preferably with 4 doors). They have ridiculously strong resale value (minimal depreciation) and widespread appeal. Parts are typically widely available and inexpensive. They can be serviced pretty much anywhere which is less likely with an EV (although EV service needs should be much less frequent).

Middle ground? A Rav-4 Prime. Do the majority of your daily travels as an EV and get most of those benefits, but in a versatile body that's capable of going almost anywhere, hauling people/cargo, etc without range anxiety.

Non Tesla EVs depreciate like rocks.  If that's not a concern, sure -- a new top trim Kona EV is ~$47k before tax credit but will probably be $20k in a couple of years.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 02:18:29 PM »
I would say no thank you.

Unless they happened to offer when I was ready for an RV...

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 03:01:32 PM »
If you get a Toyota now you can easily still drive it for the next 20 years, with minimal maintenance and very low repair costs.

That's my take. Tacoma, 4Runner, RAV4, etc. Take your pick.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 06:07:44 PM by PDXTabs »

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 03:43:29 PM »
Brand new Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro if I'm being "practical", newest Vette I can get if I want to scratch my "car guy" itch

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 10:51:28 PM »
RAV4 Limited, hybrid.

mwulff

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 10:53:43 PM »
A Tesla Model Y. It is incredibly cheap to run once you've paid for the car. So if a relative gifts you a Tesla then you are set for many many years of trouble free driving.

Whatever you do, do not get anything with an internal combustion engine. These things are heading for dumpster of history fast now.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 11:14:59 PM »
These things are heading for dumpster of history fast now.

I'm not sure about that. If you purchased a manual transmission Toyota Tacoma that might be a collectors item in 20 years.

NorthernMonkey

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2021, 02:07:50 AM »
Either a Model3, or a Toyota Prius with every option ticked

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2021, 06:14:51 AM »
Consider insurance.  Do you really want to insure a Tesla? If you get into a fender bender with a Toyota, anyone can fix it. A Tesla requires you to go to their dealer, and pay a fortune. I imagine insurance companies know that.

And I don't think EVs are the "future" until we seriously upgrade the electrical grid. Just heating homes in Texas turned off all the lights. If every American had a car plugged in we'd all be in the dark. If I were a betting person I'd put my money on Hydrogen fuel.

Anyway, think of what you want to use the car for and then get a Toyota to meet those requirements. Even at 250K miles of use, you are looking at 20 to 30 years of living with this car, and paying for maintenance and repairs. In 15 yrs you can convert it to hydrogen fuel.

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2021, 06:24:37 AM »
Lotus Exige 240 supercharged.  Reliable Toyota drivetrain.  A magnet would have no fun as almost nothing on the car is made of steel.  More fun to drive than anything you've ever even heard of.  This one's $45k.  Spend the other $5k on an aluminum radiator, Radium clam kit, battery relocation and a spare set of wheels and tires.

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/supercharged-2006-lotus-exige.481169/

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 06:37:24 AM »
Probably would go with the '21 Sienna. With $50k, you could get the highest trim level and just about break 'even'. That Hybrid powertrain is going to last a long time and minivans are eternally useful.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 06:40:57 AM »
Lotus Exige 240 supercharged.  Reliable Toyota drivetrain.  A magnet would have no fun as almost nothing on the car is made of steel.  More fun to drive than anything you've ever even heard of.  This one's $45k.  Spend the other $5k on an aluminum radiator, Radium clam kit, battery relocation and a spare set of wheels and tires.

https://www.lotustalk.com/threads/supercharged-2006-lotus-exige.481169/

Changed my mind! Yes, get this car. :)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2021, 06:42:51 AM »
Buy a Hyundai Kona EV used with about 10K miles for $30K. Use the other $20K to upgrade your home's electrical service and add solar. Also, wire in a generator port as someone said above.

The battery is warrantied for 100K miles. It has ~240 miles of range. If you are using a fraction of that on a regular basis then the battery will age slowly b/c you aren't deep cycling it as you would if the car had ~100 miles of range and you were using ~95 miles of it every day. Also keep the charge between 80% and 20% as much as you can. I've read where some brands have a built in buffer but at this point to me, its just rumor.

As MUCH as I like Tesla, I worry about repairing a Tesla in 10+ years. Where I live, I would need to drive several hours to reach a Tesla repair center. And apparently Tesla is your only source of parts for a Tesla.

The Nissan Leaf is an EV with alot of aftermarket support. The recent Plus versions are nice cars and I have alot of seat time with them. They are a good choice too but due to the aircooled battery design, they more or less shouldn't fast charge more than once a day. It heats up the battery alot and takes hours to cool down. EV batteries age a little when they get hot. I did not notice any battery heating during any other operation - 95F summer days, using the a/c, going up or down mountains, highway speeds, etc. Fast charge = CHADEMO. L1 or L2 isn't a problem.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2021, 06:47:36 AM »
hands down RAV4 Prime XSE premium trim, about $49k

40 miles EV range plus all options.
Ditto this. I've been dreaming about getting a Rav 4 prime when my current car craps out.

Jimbo

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2021, 06:54:26 AM »
Another vote for the Kona EV.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2021, 07:29:53 AM »
And I don't think EVs are the "future" until we seriously upgrade the electrical grid. Just heating homes in Texas turned off all the lights. If every American had a car plugged in we'd all be in the dark. If I were a betting person I'd put my money on Hydrogen fuel.
The Texas power grid issues were being unable to handle the cold and being isolated from other grids as emergency backup. Not due to power demand.

Sure if instantaneously everyone had an electric car the way the grid is set up currently would not suffice but transitioning to it over time can be handled as the demand changes. Electric cars can be charged at night (this is the default use case) during periods of otherwise lower demand which evens out the fluctuations in power draw reducing the need to ramp up or idle power generators. Upcoming vehicle-to-grid technology (V2G has actually existed in the LEAF for a decade already) can actually make a massive fleet of electric cars work as a backup energy source for the grid and help with load balancing. If every Texan had an electric car with V2G plugged in when the power outage hit then no one would have lost power!

Shifting to EVs reduces electric demand elsewhere as well. Because oil has to be pumped out of the ground, pumped/shipped to a refinery, refined, transported to a gas station, and pumped into your car. All of which takes energy.

Hydrogen has massive problems with its generation, transportation, and storage. I would happily take your bet on that. In 10 years hydrogen vehicle adoption will be negligible compared to battery electric vehicles.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2021, 07:54:58 AM »
a good sized van that i could do the van-life thing.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2021, 07:57:22 AM »
FWIW - an EV uses about the same amount of power as an electric water heater.

Last time I did the math, my electric water heater (recent vintage, energy star) used in a year an amount of electricity that would allow me to drive a Nissan Leaf about 12K-14K miles per year.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:13:19 AM by Just Joe »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2021, 08:04:39 AM »
So much disinformation in this thread :(

Consider insurance.  Do you really want to insure a Tesla? If you get into a fender bender with a Toyota, anyone can fix it. A Tesla requires you to go to their dealer, and pay a fortune. I imagine insurance companies know that.

Anyway, think of what you want to use the car for and then get a Toyota to meet those requirements. Even at 250K miles of use, you are looking at 20 to 30 years of living with this car, and paying for maintenance and repairs. In 15 yrs you can convert it to hydrogen fuel.

I have full coverage insurance (250/500k iirc) on my Model 3 in NJ at ~$900/year.  Price it before dismissing it out of hand - you may be surprised.

Tesla also does not require you to go to the dealer for autobody work - I have a Tesla certified body shop walking distance from my house.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:06:59 AM by JLee »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2021, 08:09:40 AM »
Buy any car with a good resale value, then sell the car.  Buy a nice bike and invest the rest of the proceeds.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2021, 08:16:09 AM »
I like GuitarStv's idea. A $50K car would worry me. Fancy cars can be a liability depending on where you park it.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:20:53 AM by Just Joe »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2021, 08:19:56 AM »
Given its a gift from a relative, it seems there are probably family dynamics at play that would make immediately selling a gift car less than ideal. I could be wrong..

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2021, 08:48:31 AM »
Given its a gift from a relative, it seems there are probably family dynamics at play that would make immediately selling a gift car less than ideal. I could be wrong..

No real problem.  The car can be 'in the shop' if the relative happens to notice that it's not around and complains.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2021, 08:49:45 AM »

I got the impression this is just a hypothetical exercise with certain criteria defined 'just for fun' - of course the best answer is going to be just to sell whatever you get...

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2021, 08:52:58 AM »
RV, then live in it.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2021, 09:05:35 AM »

No real problem.  The car can be 'in the shop' if the relative happens to notice that it's not around and complains.

Hey now, nobody has suggested a Land Rover - that excuse wouldn't fly for too long :P

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2021, 09:40:20 AM »
OP Here - I appreciate all the suggestions, and the musings. Some are fun (like the lotus or an RV or cheap car and use the rest for something else, or a pickup etc.) but really the requirement is for a car and one that would be driven for a while (thus cant buy a fancy one and resell it). So I was really looking for the most MUSTACHIAN bang for the buck.

So in this realm these are the current suggestions with reasoning:

1 Tesla - pros: excellent resale value, very low maintenance, cheap "fuel" - cons: can't haul, luxury car causes problems (theft, etc), repairs at specialized places, possibly high insurance.

2. Non-Tesla EV - pros: tax rebates (which can fund insurance/repairs for a while ) - cons: fast depreciation, have to charge nightly
    Nissan Leaf new model - still battery issues
    Kona EV - big

2. Rav4 Prime - pros: can haul stuff, hybrid+electric, per-approved Mustachian - cons: uses gas, big, insurance?

3. Toyota sedan - pros: dependable to 150K min, cheap insurance, cheap to maintain, does not attract unwanted attention - cons: cant haul a lot, gas (for the hybrids).

All great suggestions. Perhaps I wil have to price our insurance on all those, and look at maintenance cost to see what the all in 10year ownership price would be.

Would anyone know a website where that can be done easily?

Tesla is a good mix of utility and flash. Would be a nice gift. But I need to educate myself on the other items.

A Toyota (Rav4 or Prius) have the most history on dependability, repair, insurance, etc. I honestly don't know how to turn a Corolla or Camry into a Lexus by adding trims...any suggestions?

djadziadax

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2021, 09:45:06 AM »
What use will this car see?  How many passengers?  Will you haul anything?  How far will you drive?  What do you like? 

Without this info, I'm thinking Tesla, Lexus, Acura, Toyota or Honda.

If someone made this offer to me, I'd look pretty hard at a Tesla (probably a model 3).

Good questions, and I wanted to get top line ideas first before specifying.

Use: not for daily use
Passengers: 2-3 most of the time
Hauling: Should be able to haul stuff - example IKEA purchase, road trip stuff one a year, but that is about it.
Range: 200 mile range every month. Weekly 5-10 miles.
Likes: Corolla for how comfortable it is, RAV4 for the space but thought those can be had cheaply in the used market, so why not shoot for something I would not normally get.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
OP Here - I appreciate all the suggestions, and the musings. Some are fun (like the lotus or an RV or cheap car and use the rest for something else, or a pickup etc.) but really the requirement is for a car and one that would be driven for a while (thus cant buy a fancy one and resell it). So I was really looking for the most MUSTACHIAN bang for the buck.

So in this realm these are the current suggestions with reasoning:

1 Tesla - pros: excellent resale value, very low maintenance, cheap "fuel" - cons: can't haul, luxury car causes problems (theft, etc), repairs at specialized places, possibly high insurance.

2. Non-Tesla EV - pros: tax rebates (which can fund insurance/repairs for a while ) - cons: fast depreciation, have to charge nightly
    Nissan Leaf new model - still battery issues
    Kona EV - big

2. Rav4 Prime - pros: can haul stuff, hybrid+electric, per-approved Mustachian - cons: uses gas, big, insurance?

3. Toyota sedan - pros: dependable to 150K min, cheap insurance, cheap to maintain, does not attract unwanted attention - cons: cant haul a lot, gas (for the hybrids).

All great suggestions. Perhaps I wil have to price our insurance on all those, and look at maintenance cost to see what the all in 10year ownership price would be.

Would anyone know a website where that can be done easily?

Tesla is a good mix of utility and flash. Would be a nice gift. But I need to educate myself on the other items.

A Toyota (Rav4 or Prius) have the most history on dependability, repair, insurance, etc. I honestly don't know how to turn a Corolla or Camry into a Lexus by adding trims...any suggestions?

Just a note re: theft...Tesla theft is hard to get away with and is not all that common.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/31/forget-tesla-thieves-are-targeting-powerful-cars-and-pickups.html
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/nearly-100-of-teslas-stolen-in-the-us-since-2011-have-been-recovered-2018-08-10

If I were getting a new non-Tesla EV right now, I would look at a Hyundai lease via this broker:
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/andy-hop-into-a-new-hyundai-this-april-88-ev-99-hybrid-139-elantra-188-kona-ev-or-awd-2k-das-palisa/279344

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2021, 12:04:38 PM »
FWIW the Kona is about the size of a Tesla 3 or Nissan Leaf. A RAV4 is much larger.

The Kona is marketed as an SUV but it is really a FWD car. It is a subcompact SUV like the Honda HRV.

Jimbo

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2021, 12:31:59 PM »
FWIW the Kona is about the size of a Tesla 3 or Nissan Leaf. A RAV4 is much larger.

The Kona is marketed as an SUV but it is really a FWD car. It is a subcompact SUV like the Honda HRV.

Isn't that a good thing? Huge vehicles on the road are a public nuisance... dangerous to others. take more space. Just overall negative.

Paper Chaser

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2021, 12:44:03 PM »

I see a lot of adjectives  like "big" or "Small", etc for various vehicles being mentioned. Lets actually quantify how large some of these vehicles are in relation to one another.

Dimensions per google:
Tesla Model 3- 185"L X 73"W X 57"H
Toyota Rav 4- 182"L X 73"W X 67-69"H
Camry- 192-193"L X 72"W X 56-57"H
Prius- 180"L X 69"W X 58"H
Kona- 164"L X 71"W X 61-62"H

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2021, 01:07:11 PM »

I see a lot of adjectives  like "big" or "Small", etc for various vehicles being mentioned. Lets actually quantify how large some of these vehicles are in relation to one another.

Dimensions per google:
Tesla Model 3- 185"L X 73"W X 57"H
Toyota Rav 4- 182"L X 73"W X 67-69"H

Yes, but again, according to google the Model 3 has 15ft³ of cargo space while the RAV4 has 37.5ft³. Which is why I'd rather have a RAV4.