Author Topic: $15/mo Spectrum broadband - reasons not to do it?  (Read 3656 times)

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
$15/mo Spectrum broadband - reasons not to do it?
« on: August 06, 2018, 09:01:11 PM »
Apparently we qualify for this special low-income service, $15/mo for 30 Mbps.  I've been happy with our 10 Mbps DSL from a local phone co-op, which has been dead reliable, fast enough for our single TV and the usual netsurfing, nothing blocked or restricted, and I'm confident they're not data mining.

Not so sure about Spectrum.  I use a VPN for security, and to tunnel out to different places for SEO work.  I'm afraid Spectrum might restrict this, be data mining like crazy, and have slow service during peak hours.

Any feedback from Spectrum users?  I'd be saving over $60/mo.

undercover

• Pencil Stache
Re: $15/mo Spectrum broadband - reasons not to do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:45:43 AM »
Triple the speed for lower price? Is that a question? Data mine me away. I think Spectrum is among the least evil of cable companies. They don’t have any restrictions and have always given me higher speed than I’m paying for.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 04:46:25 AM »
I am paying $47/month for Spectrum currently.  I had 100 Mbps service, but they just sent a letter a couple days ago saying they bumped me up to 200 Mbps for free.  We'll see if that eventually leads to a higher monthly cost.  If you've been able to get by with 10 Mbps, then you'll have no problem switching.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 07:19:40 AM »
When Spectrum ate up TW, we had to switch our account. They swore it doubled the speed, but I see absolutely no difference at all.

bilmar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:55:54 AM »
Spectrum do not require contracts so you can try them for a month and then decide what do with your old provider.

Bill

GrumpyPenguin

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »
Wow, good price.

If you're worried about data mining, you can get reputable VPN services for around $30 a year.

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 11:07:06 AM »
I used Spectrum/Charter for 4 years without issue 100mbs down/5mbs up.  I used VPNs heavily as well, never a hiccup.  Service was extremely reliable and accurate to plan speeds.  I wish the upload amounts had been higher, but I did get what was advertised.  Had a promo rate for first year and nothing after that.  Never had any strange billing issues.

cap396

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Snail Travelers - Traveling the World at a Snail's Pace
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 11:28:07 AM »
We cancelled Spectrum two months ago and our experience with their customer service has been a nightmare (still waiting for a $100 refund check that they mailed to the wrong address).  But if you're only paying $15 a month, it might be worth any hassle that could come up along the way.  That is a great price (we were paying $60/mo)

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 02:11:21 PM »
I have a good VPN.  I guess my biggest concern is reliability.  High advertised speeds can slow to a crawl during peak hours.  Worse than that, ping times can go up by orders of magnitude, even as actual download speeds remain high.  Then there are dropped packets...

I've had all these problems while on other networks, at client sites, friends' houses, etc.

In practice, "3x" (or even "10x") the speed doesn't always work that way.

Thanks for the replies -- still listening!

undercover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »
I would ask your neighbors honestly. But I don’t see what you have to lose either way.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 02:35:21 PM by undercover »

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 05:59:53 PM »
Sounds like a great deal. Do it!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:44 PM »
When Spectrum ate up TW, we had to switch our account. They swore it doubled the speed, but I see absolutely no difference at all.

Yeah, same here - except the service may be a tad worse.

Anyway, how does one qualify for this $15 internet?

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2018, 08:03:08 PM »
My mom qualifies for every low income program imaginable.  I talked to Spectrum twice about any low income programs for her and they said there wasn't nothing except for a landline.  She already has that through ATT (less than $10 monthly).  My mom is likely moving soon, but when she gets to her new place and if it's Spectrum-covered, I'm going to have to call and ask again.

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »

Yeah, same here - except the service may be a tad worse.

Anyway, how does one qualify for this $15 internet?

I think it's basically for low-income seniors, not sure what the income level is.

Spectrum has been sending us junk mail to advertise it.

I'll try to get some more info about it, whether it's offered in other states and what the qualifying criteria are.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:39 PM »
Definitely sounds like a no-brainer!  Our only option right now where we just moved is crappy 6mbps DSL for $50/mo (used to have 1000 down and 250mbps up fiber for $79/mo), and I'd kill for more.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 03:27:18 PM »
My cable company has low income internet but you must qualify for National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or be a Senior on SSI.  Guess singles without children are out of luck.

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 01:19:38 PM »
My cable company has low income internet but you must qualify for National School Lunch Program (NSLP) or be a Senior on SSI.  Guess singles without children are out of luck.

Indeed, that's the deal:

https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/spectrum-internet-assist.html

So despite their sending us mail saying that we do, we don't qualify either.  Mom's on regular SS survivor benefits, but does not get SSI.

Singles w/o children would qualify if they do get SSI.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/ssi/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!