Author Topic: $120 ticket for parking in a no park before 9.30am zone  (Read 2317 times)

pudding

• Bristles
$120 ticket for parking in a no park before 9.30am zone
« on: June 13, 2019, 03:54:54 PM »
I got a ticket today. First one I've had for ages.

I went to get some blood work done at a lab. Saw a few vehicles parked, glanced at the sign and saw 2 hours free parking 9.30 to 3pm. But I missed the sign that read no parking before 9.30am as I guess had the other vehicles parked there.

I got a ticket for $120 at 9.20am!  Ouch, 10 minutes before it would have been free.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: $120 ticket for parking in a no park before 9.30am zone
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »
That sucks.

I once got ticketed for parking in a no parking zone that was painted in the  hours I was there. I had paint on my tire. It would have cost me more to take off work than pay the ticket, so I didn't contest.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »
I once got a ticket in a large university parking lot, because I parked with my front
sticking out rather than the rear.
 Just a money generating machine, as I see no harm which way the car is parked.

partdopy

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »
That sucks.

I once got ticketed for parking in a no parking zone that was painted in the  hours I was there. I had paint on my tire. It would have cost me more to take off work than pay the ticket, so I didn't contest.

You don't get paid time off?

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 04:44:08 PM »
That sucks.

Thats what it starts at!   If pay late has 2 increases and ends up at $300!

50 bucks fine I could see but 120 escalating to 300!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 05:44:37 PM »
That sucks.

I was 17 at the time, so, no.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 08:49:51 PM »
I once got a ticket in a large university parking lot, because I parked with my front

I can't speak to the university you were ticketed at, but the university my wife works at does this because our state doesn't have front plates and the parking enforcement is automated by cameras that run your plate as the "meter readers" drive by. If you park pointing out the camera can't read your plate to confirm you're allowed to park in that lot, so it's an automatic ticket.

simmias

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 03:21:14 AM »
I got a ticket today. First one I've had for ages.

I went to get some blood work done at a lab. Saw a few vehicles parked, glanced at the sign and saw 2 hours free parking 9.30 to 3pm. But I missed the sign that read no parking before 9.30am as I guess had the other vehicles parked there.

I got a ticket for $120 at 9.20am!  Ouch, 10 minutes before it would have been free.
Were these dedicated parking spots, or was this a lane that would be used during rush hour that you were then blocking?

driftwood

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »
I feel your pain.

I got a ticket in the mail for driving in a bus lane when in Cardiff for some training (actually two, one for each day I was there).

The lane I was in changed to a bus lane somewhere in the middle of a curve. Both days I noticed the bus lane sign as I was halfway through the curve, and would move out of it immediately. The tickets came with photos, both show me halfway in (or out) of said bus lane. The drive was early in the morning so I was the only car on the road, no buses at all. I bet that city makes a buttload of cash off of that lane.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2019, 09:01:54 AM »
I had to pay $175 not too long ago to stop my car from being towed.  I had a meeting run over and was 30 minutes late on my parking limit.  The police and tow truck were getting ready to haul my car away and I whipped out a credit card and sorted it out.  Really glad I caught it and was able to pay to be honest!  I would have been screwed if my car was towed!

The policeman asked me how I liked my Honda Fit and we had a pleasant conversation.  He was sorry about the tow fee, but didn't issue a parking ticket.  Life is too short to spend stewing over these bumps in the road, but I feel your pain.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:04:52 AM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2019, 10:44:38 AM »

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2019, 03:44:47 PM »
I was visiting a girlfriend at another college about a decade ago and decided to park in a completely empty lot near her dorm overnight.  There was apparently no parking from like 1am to 4am or something ridiculous like that.  Zero other cars in the lot.

Then just this past winter, my very next ticket, was after a snowstorm.  Now my town has by far the most outrageous winter snow parking rules ever.  When it snows more than 3 inches, there is no parking allowed ON ANY CITY STREET, PERIOD.  It is certifiably insane.  The length of the restriction is different each time depending on the storm.  It's a town of about 30k outside of a city of 250k, but you'd think it was downtown Chicago or something with that insane statute.  At least in the nearby city they do alternate side parking to allow plows to come through, that makes total sense to me.  Anyway, I parked my beater about a half mile away in a city parking lot (which they encourage) during the storm.  For two days I would walk there to drive it/clear it off.  Once the storm passed, I waited until the plows went through and cleared the street.  Then, I parked my beater in front of the house again (as did a lot of my neighbors).  But alas! We all woke up the next day to parking tickets because apparently the "snow emergency" went until 5am.  I am 100% certain the plows never came through again so there was no practical reason for those tickets other than revenue. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:48:31 PM by dignam »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »
Quebec City does something similar during snow events - no parking whatsoever on city streets.  You need to either pay for parking in a garage or use one of the few 'satellite lots' which are often full and always hard to get to.

flipboard

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2019, 12:16:47 AM »

I can't speak to the university you were ticketed at, but the university my wife works at does this because our state doesn't have front plates and the parking enforcement is automated by cameras that run your plate as the "meter readers" drive by. If you park pointing out the camera can't read your plate to confirm you're allowed to park in that lot, so it's an automatic ticket.

Also, if there are any walls, then front-in parking is often required to avoid damage from exhaust fumes against the wall.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2019, 06:42:36 AM »
What gets me is when the parking signs just don't make sense, either because of the wording, or because of the direction the arrows are pointing. Or the sign has a 'zone F' on it. WTF is Zone F?   

Turnbull

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2019, 07:44:24 AM »
What gets me is when the parking signs just don't make sense, either because of the wording, or because of the direction the arrows are pointing. Or the sign has a 'zone F' on it. WTF is Zone F?   

F for Free. Trust me. ;)